Type keyword(s) to search

The Cool Kids - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

I love Sid (Leslie Jordan).

I have very mixed feelings about the show in general, though.

I find it shocking that at 65 and in apparent good health, Vicky L's character doesn't own a car, and in fact none of them do. Eventually you might stop driving,  but they seem to drive. So it's not about that. It's I guess about money. But that place looks really expensive, to me. I'm also highly offended by Martin  Mull's character saying he thought he was there involuntarily, and blaming his kids for him thinking that. It's not funny. I also thought the extreme difficulty they all had standing up after sitting together on the bench was not funny-- it was too exaggerated for me. I get camp. I get exaggeration as humor. I get laughing at one's own frailty. But that moment just struck me as too much.

On the other hand, I do not think they are ALL stereotypes. They are baby boomers, Mull's character has a rather colorful past (arrests, activism, who knows what else), and Vicky's character is not the "cookie grandma" or "stand by your man" stereotype of "women of her generation". And none of them are pining for their children or lost without their careers. They are all independent, lucid, strong-willed, social, active, and not at all conservative/obedient/out of touch/left behind, weak, victimy, stale, or any of the other stereotypes for people in their demographic.

So I think it's a mix of things I like and things I don't like. It's really kind of an old style production, also. Recently, I've been watching shows from the 70s and 80s and they all have a similar aesthetic, with an acting style where the actors are always shouting even if they aren't angry (like they lack mics or are trying to project to the back of a large theater), and the laugh track is super loud, and there's a certain style of blocking. Even 3 camera shows made in the 2010s don't look or sound like that. But this show uses the throwback style, and I wonder if they are going to stick with that. I kind of hope they don't, because I think it contributes to the feeling that the show is out of touch, and undermines the modernity of the actual characters. I think there is some confusion on the part of the writers, where they kind of get some things right and other things are just... not.

• Love 4

The thing about the dick pic part of the story is that NO ONE responded (except Sid), and Vicky made it clear that dick pics are no prize. So I was OK with it.

I was more grossed out that both DAG's and Mull's characters were supposedly into "Destiny" and that Sid thought that was a reasonable character to use to "boost their confidence." To me, that was way worse than the skeptical treatment of DAG's dick pics, which were generally regarded in a negative light and only of any interest to himself and Sid. It was like none of the men had any clue whatsoever what real women are like (nor did they care), which seems ridiculous.

When they revealed that both guys knew "Destiny" was really Sid, that helped a little, but I didn't think they ever really came out strongly enough on the idea that the whole idea was ridiculous and gross in the first place. It made me like all of them less, to be honest.

On the other hand, I'm glad they're not desexualizing anyone.

• Love 3

Margaret tries to convince Sid to come out to his visiting son; Hank stubbornly refuses to admit he needs glasses; Charlie tries to help him cheat on an eye test.

On 10/15/2018 at 3:50 AM, possibilities said:

The thing about the dick pic part of the story is that NO ONE responded (except Sid), and Vicky made it clear that dick pics are no prize. So I was OK with it.

I was more grossed out that both DAG's and Mull's characters were supposedly into "Destiny" and that Sid thought that was a reasonable character to use to "boost their confidence." To me, that was way worse than the skeptical treatment of DAG's dick pics, which were generally regarded in a negative light and only of any interest to himself and Sid. It was like none of the men had any clue whatsoever what real women are like (nor did they care), which seems ridiculous.

When they revealed that both guys knew "Destiny" was really Sid, that helped a little, but I didn't think they ever really came out strongly enough on the idea that the whole idea was ridiculous and gross in the first place. It made me like all of them less, to be honest.

On the other hand, I'm glad they're not desexualizing anyone.

Yeah, I've never been a fan of the "hey let's create a fake profile to boost our friend's confidence" storyline. In the real world, would anyone think that was a good idea? For some reason, writers think it makes for a funny story, I guess. I swear I've seen shows that used that going all the way back to when people had snail mail pen pals, LOL.

That being said, I don't have any trouble believing that the men don't know what real women are like. Or they just want to indulge in their fantasy idea of a woman. Like I said, my sister goes on the dating sites and yikes! Unfortunately, what they depicted on the show is not that far from the truth. In fact, that truth might actually be worse.

• Love 4

I think this was the best episode yet!

I loved Leslie Jordan, Charlie shocking Hank (that poor Pomeranian), and cameos by veteran comics Max & Jamie.  Sid having his drama queen moment, Margaret being a good friend to Sid despite her misgivings, and the hunky dim witted son.

• Love 5

My brother & I watched it together tonight.  I made him sit thru the other episodes when he was over earlier this week (he's helping with some painting).  We were laughing so hard at the shock collar eye test that we had to pause it & then rewind to see what we had missed.  Laughed from beginning to end.  This is by far my favorite new show of the season. 

• Love 4

This was the first episode I watched and love it. The slow clap for the visually impaired guy. "Are you freaking kidding me?!" LOL

Funny this is the second time this week that Leslie was referred to as Woody from Toy Story. The other time was when he guest starred on Will And Grace this past Thursday.

• Love 4

Just as Harvey Korman and Tim Conway were perfect with Carol Burnett and Vicki back in the day, Leslie is awesome with Vicki. I would watch anything they are in together. Loved this episode! Every scene had me LOL’ing.

• Love 8

Based on the previews, I really didn't think I'd like this show as much as I do.  I chalk it all up to Leslie and Vicki, with Martin coming in a close second.  His line delivery is spot-on.  This ep with the football references reminded me of when he was on Reba and won football lessons from Reba's son-in-law, Van.

• Love 6

I LOVE this show. I did laugh out loud for real. I knew I recognized some folks but couldn't place them. I know Vicki from other shows and the short man who is hilarious from Will and Grace. I hope this show makes it

• Love 2
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

Sid's kid was soooooo dim. Are there really people like that? I've never met one outside of TV.

Oh yes.  My best friend from high school - now a grandmother 5x over - is still like that.  More naively innocent than dumb.

• Love 2

As new sitcoms go, this one had some chuckles. I saw Vicki a few years ago when she was on tour with her one woman show, in her Mama character. She's a hoot, and the rest of the cast is funny as well. I guess I'm "of an age" where the grey haired stuff is funny. 

I'd like to see Bob Newhart here...I'd read about Tim Conway, that is so sad. We still like to watch YouTube videos of him on the Carol Burnett show. Dick VanDyke would be fun as well. He is much older than these folks, but still working.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, Sigmagirl said:

Was I supposed to recognize the actor who played George? He had a kind of Hal Linden thing going on. I didn’t know him. 

I looked him up, and he's been in a ton of single episodes of TV shows.  There were a few where he was a series regular, but none of them were shows I ever watched.  Initially, I thought it was Hal Linden too.

• Love 1

EPISODE DESCRIPTION (from IMDB): When Margaret scores an invite to an exclusive foodie potluck for Thanksgiving, she takes Sid as her plus one, leaving Hank and Charlie to find a backup plan.

Aired Friday, November 16, 2018

Edited by possibilities

Loved seeing Maxwell from the Nanny and Stephanie from Newhart. Julia Duffy was basically Stephanie today after a bitter divorce from Michael. I hope they come back at some point even if they were a bit mustache twirling in this one.

While I like the bringing back to American cheese in the souffle, I did have to wonder how they didn't notice it was in there considering what foodies they were. Also, I wished it had been laxatives or something instead. But, it did seem very fitting.

• Love 5

The best bit was the tag with Sid singing, "I like that old time casserole!"  I nearly fell off the couch, laughing at that.

American cheese melts pretty well, and depending on what other cheeses might have been in the souffle, could be undetectable. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Browncoat said:

The best bit was the tag with Sid singing, "I like that old time casserole!"  I nearly fell off the couch, laughing at that.

I loved that, too. Sid is a real gem.

I don't really like how rude they all were to Jamie Farr's character. This group is actually not any nicer than the snotty Murray clique.

• Love 11
On 11/20/2018 at 2:47 AM, possibilities said:

I don't really like how rude they all were to Jamie Farr's character.

Yeah, this trend of the "heroes" of shows treating nice people like crap is getting old. So many sitcoms do it now. I assume Jamie's character is supposed to be annoying, but he hasn't really come across as more than a little quirky but harmless. If they are going to be mean, give them a reason.

• Love 9
On 11/20/2018 at 2:47 AM, possibilities said:

I don't really like how rude they all were to Jamie Farr's character. This group is actually not any nicer than the snotty Murray clique.

8 hours ago, xander874 said:

Yeah, this trend of the "heroes" of shows treating nice people like crap is getting old. So many sitcoms do it now. I assume Jamie's character is supposed to be annoying, but he hasn't really come across as more than a little quirky but harmless. If they are going to be mean, give them a reason.

Plus he was willing to cook them an entire Thanksgiving dinner. In fact, it was a little sad that no other resident had come, since the character just put the turkey in the oven.

I guess even in when they're 60-plus, the "cool kids" are mean d-bags.

I was surprised that Julia Duffy was a resident, until I looked her up -- she's 67. When did all the people I grew up watching on TV get old?

• Love 14

Ed Begley Jr was so funny as Karl! Funny...and spooky! The pretend choking in the restaurant, the no blinking, the night terrors! I LOL’d so many times! That last scene was great. I love how this show casts actors from the past and they also contribute so well. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Ed Begley Jr was so funny as Karl! Funny...and spooky! The pretend choking in the restaurant, the no blinking, the night terrors! I LOL’d so many times! That last scene was great. I love how this show casts actors from the past and they also contribute so well. 

Agreed 100%!  I rewound and rewatched the last scene, it was so great.  But the real question is -- is Karl the Zodiac Killer or not????  I actually love that that question was never truly answered.

I'm also glad to see that Jamie Farr's character Dudley is apparently a recurring character.  I like him.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Agreed 100%!  I rewound and rewatched the last scene, it was so great.  But the real question is -- is Karl the Zodiac Killer or not????  I actually love that that question was never truly answered.

I'm also glad to see that Jamie Farr's character Dudley is apparently a recurring character.  I like him.

I also love that they didn’t answer the question. I hope Karl is a recurring character. I like Jamie, too, and am so glad he is still in the cast. Can you imagine what a scream their rehearsals must be? There’s not a weak link in the cast! You can tell they’re having fun. Oh! Karl‘s painting of the dead body in the lake and then he invites her to the lake where you could scream your lungs out for days and not be heard! 

• Love 8

I liked this episode but couldn't get over one issue: doesn't everyone have their own bathroom in their apartment? I realize emergencies happen but unless it is a particularly long trek back to the room, I would think they would want to go in their own space. I certainly do. But, that's just me. Did like EBJ in this. His dead eyes at the end were hilarious.

• Love 8
On 12/16/2018 at 7:25 AM, Snow Apple said:

The actor's grinning face at the end was truly scary!

Up until then, it was funny how the guys were so casual about it. He's retired! He hasn't killed since the 70's! 

I loved that part. Not a direct quote but “I used to be a meter reader. You don’t expect to still find me doing that, do you?”

Ed Begley was truly ...eccentric, odd.  I love this show so much.  And I like that they bring back older actors that we recognize.  Hey, wasn’t Margaret dating (and sleeping with). Max when Sid’s son came to visit?  Wonder what happened there.

• Love 4
On 10/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, wendyg said:

65? Are they kidding me? What 65yo without a significant disability lives in a home? I thought at first maybe it was a marker, like Jack Benny never aging past 39. But no.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. All around me are 60-somethings who are working full-time, living alone or with their families, traveling, playing sports, volunteering, running things. 65 is the new 40. I love Vicki Lawrence, but I think I'm out.

I agree. No one in the main cast needs assisted living.  I have people I work with in their 70’s.  

Never mind that assisted living is expensive.  The cast is fabulous, they just need them in a more believable setting. I don’t care if it was already done with the Golden Girls, they need to get a house and room together.  A lot of older people are doing that.  

I have no idea where people are living cheaply in this situation.  In Florida, it runs about 3k per month for a nice facility.  Rent on a 4 bedroom house would be much cheaper. 

Edited by Mu Shu
18 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I agree. No one in the main cast needs assisted living.  I have people I work with in their 70’s.  

Never mind that assisted living is expensive.  The cast is fabulous, they just need them in a more believable setting. I don’t care if it was already done with the Golden Girls, they need to get a house and room together.  A lot of older people are doing that.  

I have no idea where people are living cheaply in this situation.  In Florida, it runs about 3k per month for a nice facility.  Rent on a 4 bedroom house would be much cheaper. 

It's a Senior Living Community, not a home.  Still costly, but they don't need nursing care.

Retirement community-- sometimes you need to prove you don't need help in order to gain admission. I know someone who was racing the clock to move into a place like that, before he became too frail to manage on his own. The rule at the place he wanted was that once you live there, you can stay. But you can't move in if you already need assistance. Sort of an "aging in place" deal, for people who are planning way ahead.

• Love 3

I thought this episode with the grief counselor was the best one yet, especially when it turns out she showered the group to find a man. 

Sid’s show was hilarious.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:57 AM, xander874 said:

I liked the funeral episode. Always great seeing Bob Gunton. And I did not expect Jackee to be Hank's ex. But they had some good stuff.

She looks real good, but the sass and posture are still there.  Who played Reggie?  Woooeee, was he hot.   I thought “Donna’s husband” going on a date days aft his wife’s funeral a bit unseemly.

• Love 5
On 1/14/2019 at 11:07 PM, roamyn said:

She looks real good, but the sass and posture are still there.  Who played Reggie?  Woooeee, was he hot.   I thought “Donna’s husband” going on a date days aft his wife’s funeral a bit unseemly.

Rick Fox played Reggie. He is a retired basketball player who was previously married to Vanessa Williams in real life. He also played Bernadette's ex on Big Bang once. He's a cottage Industry of stunt casting as the insecurity inducing boyfriend on shows.

Edited by red12
  • Love 6