Type keyword(s) to search

The Cool Kids - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

On 3/30/2019 at 9:21 AM, deaja said:

Sid and his annoying ex wife are actually still married? What kind of a plot is that?

I know. That was really weird. I used to like Jennifer Coolidge, but over the years she's gotten so typecast it's become a really bad joke. And that's sad.

Margaret in her Stevie Nicks outfit was a high point. I thought when they were broken down by the side of the road the Fleetwood Mac tour bus would stop and help them. Darn. Probably not enough in the cameo budget for Stevie!

• Love 5

I had such high hopes for this show during its first few episodes, but now it just seems like the writers don't know what to do with the characters.  Maybe some kind of story arch that has them volunteering somewhere (other than Margaret's one shot at the airport) and interacting with other people.  I really think they didn't map out an entire season and so just planned for a few episodes.  Because these more recent ones?  Not really worth DVRing.

• Love 7

I don't like how Hank has evolved into basically a yelling, deranged, caricature of his character.   He would occasionally have a melt down, which was funny, but now he's basically always brash and OTT.  

Margaret's character is odd too, one moment she's fairly relate-able and cool, then the next moment she a psychotic witch.

I want a show with just Sid.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 4/2/2019 at 2:21 PM, BigBingerBro said:

I don't like how Hank has evolved into basically a yelling, deranged, caricature of his character.   He would occasionally have a melt down, which was funny, but now he's basically always brash and OTT.  

Margaret's character is odd too, one moment she's fairly relate-able and cool, then the next moment she a psychotic witch.

I want a show with just Sid.

I agree abt Hank.  But Sid’s storylines and the ridiculous relationship w/John (not to mention the “wife”) has really killed this character.

i didn’t mind the Patrick Duffy episode (man, is he steaming hot w/that ponytail 🔥) and I liked the Fleetwood Mac storyline.

Charlie and Margaret (usually) still keep me involved in this show.

PS Is Charlie still seeing Catherine or was it Christine?

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Stillhere2.0 said:

Who is the super annoying tiny gay dude ? His character/voice is really annoying and  completely unnecessary. 

OMG!  Leslie Jordan is an institution.  His IMDB page is hysterical.  I had no idea he once shared a jail cell with Robert Downey Jr.

Love him as the antagonist to Karen Walker on Will and Grace and I finally caught the film Sordid Lives and he was great in it.

• Love 7
On 4/8/2019 at 4:33 PM, Stillhere2.0 said:

Who is the super annoying tiny gay dude ? His character/voice is really annoying and  completely unnecessary. 

I dvr this show so I can ff throug his scenes.

Sid is best in small doses.  

I like it when he has a supporting storyline (like filming the news with Hank and stealing the spotlight) but the ones where he is carrying the storyline make me want to throw things at my tv (like the one with his not-ex-wife).

On 4/2/2019 at 1:18 PM, seacliffsal said:

had such high hopes for this show during its first few episodes, but now it just seems like the writers don't know what to do with the characters.

Totally agree with this. The last few weeks I have just been pvr-ing, but I think I'm going to delete. If they get a second season maybe the writers can get it together. Bc the actors are fine.

• Love 2

What I want to know is what kind of retirement village has a van that they just let random residents drive?? Yes, these places do have vehicles, but in every one I've heard of, there is some staff member who is the official driver, and they take residents wherever they need to go (or announce some kind of general destination, like next Friday, we head to the mall, and whoever wants to come along, comes.) I can only imagine the insurance nightmare involved with having any number of elderly drivers randomly taking the wheel...

• Love 5

I'm still enjoying the show, though some of the antics have been taken a bit too far. I liked Jennifer Coolidge as Sid's wife - she was way toned down from her stint on 2 Broke Girls. The concert stuff was funny, especially Margaret in her Stevie Nicks getup. I thought the dancing scene at the end was cute. 

Hank's freakout during the cookie episode was so bizarre and OTT, but I can't help but think it must've been fun to do - quite the catharsis! That whole episode was weird, I still don't get why everyone was so adamant in their positions.

• Love 3
On 4/21/2019 at 6:20 PM, BigBingerBro said:

This past week's episode seemed better than the previous few weeks.  However they are really playing Sid's relationship issues to death.

As much as I'll miss Jere Burns, hopefully, John has finally realized he can do much better than Sid and will move on to someone more in his own league. 

• Love 4

Vegas episode was quite funny!  Loved "Vegas Margaret", Hank was more hilarious than usual.  Charlie's story line was very spot-on.  Sid was funny as usual but he needs to get past John.  I always like seeing Jackee too.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Vegas episode was quite funny!  Loved "Vegas Margaret", Hank was more hilarious than usual.  Charlie's story line was very spot-on.  Sid was funny as usual but he needs to get past John.  I always like seeing Jackee too.

Was it? I turned it off when they arrived in Vegas because Hank was acting his usual asshole self, and I'm tired of seeing that. I'm done with this show.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I'm sad to say I've come to expect him to be a complete asshole all the time.

Yep he's crazy but I'm not sad...I think the comedy is getting weirder but I'm digging it. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Was it? I turned it off when they arrived in Vegas because Hank was acting his usual asshole self, and I'm tired of seeing that. I'm done with this show.

I actually think the past two weeks have been an improvement, although that's not saying much.  It's enough for me to continue watching.....for now.

• Love 3

Hank was so over the top cringe inducing that I could barely watch. I mean, it resolved nicely, but ugh.  

Ratings appear to have less and less to do with what shows get renewed or canceled.  Two other shows I watch got canceled today and both had better ratings than other shows on the same network that were renewed.  I guess like with everything these days "it's political".

• Love 1
20 hours ago, giovannif7 said:
19 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Boo!  They didn't even give it a chance.

Yes they did. Unfortunately,  the show squandered its talented cast with awful plots, contrived situations, and over-the-top acting. I liked all the characters at first, but that rapidly devolved into hating all of them, especially Hank. Why would anybody be friends with an angry, bitter asshole like him?

• Love 5
1 hour ago, SmithW6079 said:

Unfortunately,  the show squandered its talented cast with awful plots, contrived situations, and over-the-top acting.

I agree.  The first few episodes were pretty funny, but then they seemed like they didn't know what to write for these characters.  Maybe the writing staff was too young for this kind of show.  The finale was pretty funny though, maybe the best episode of the series.

• Love 6

No comments on the latest episode? I assume this was the season...uh series finale and it actually was a good wrap up to the season. It brought the show back full circle and the characters were only 20% less annoying. Hank even wasn't too much of an asshole and I liked the apology scene at the end. This show wasn't great, but the cast had chemistry and it could've been fun.

Allison looked amazing in her brief scene.

And maybe this is just me, but Vicki Lawrence was channeling Mama big time in her "Sid" oufit. Assuming Mama became a butch lesbian.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, xander874 said:

And maybe this is just me, but Vicki Lawrence was channeling Mama big time in her "Sid" oufit. Assuming Mama became a butch lesbian.

I couldn't help but think of Mama when she was dressed like Sid.  I was VERY weirded out by her dressed like that because she looked exactly like a rather butch lady I know in real life.  

• Love 3
5 hours ago, xander874 said:

That scene actually made me laugh out loud. And then when Klinger Dudley came out dressed as Margaret, that was icing on the cake (until they were assholes to him and told him to scram; a nicer ending would have been to ask him to join them).

• Love 8
7 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

a nicer ending would have been to ask him to join them).

The way they were so cruel to him, even when he has helped them with things, is really a sour note for me wrt the show. They were the same way at Thanksgiving. And he just takes it, too. Really depressing. These people are bullies and I just don't find bullies funny.

I liked the episode but I wish they had gone a different way on that particular issue.

• Love 4
On 5/11/2019 at 8:11 PM, possibilities said:

The should have kept the show and hired better writers. The ratings were actually decent, though, so I don't think it was about the show not being watched.

https://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/renewcancel/cancel-bear-vs-fox-week-32-2018-19/

I know, I agree.  It's rare that the cancel bear is wrong, but he/she was wrong about this show.  Also, it got a pretty good viewer ranking on "TV Series Finale", well above many shows that were renewed.

https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/viewer-votes-ranking-2018-2018-tv-shows/

6 hours ago, roamyn said:

I’m bummed because we got to see so many iconic tv actors of the past.

What other show will give them a priority?

I can't help but think there was some ageism involved in the cancellation.  Although I do think the scripts were awful.  To be honest I was watching for the cast more than the show itself. 

• Love 2

I remember, back in the day, Scrubs was a low rated show that kept getting renewed. It turned out that it had a very high income viewership, and that's why it kept  being saved.

I wonder if this show, and other shows that got canceled this round despite looking like they had decent numbers, had a somehow less sought after demo, despite the raw numbers being good.

Or maybe the actors didn't want to do it anymore, or something like that, and the network decided it wasn't worth trying to hold them to their contracts.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Or maybe the actors didn't want to do it anymore, or something like that, and the network decided it wasn't worth trying to hold them to their contracts.

I wondered about that as well.  Based on Vicki's twitter post about the cancellation, she definitely didn't want it to end.

• Useful 2
On 5/13/2019 at 10:35 AM, SmithW6079 said:

That scene actually made me laugh out loud. And then when Klinger Dudley came out dressed as Margaret, that was icing on the cake (until they were assholes to him and told him to scram; a nicer ending would have been to ask him to join them).

I have a feeling that Vicki Lawrence didn't know that Jamie Farr was going to come out dressed as her.  

• Love 4
On 5/14/2019 at 10:30 PM, needschocolate said:

I have a feeling that Vicki Lawrence didn't know that Jamie Farr was going to come out dressed as her.  

It seemed that way, based on her reaction.  That was not only a cool thing for this show, but also a great callback to Klinger.  But I don't think Klinger would have been caught dead in that outfit (I've been watching a lot of MASH lately, and it just doesn't seem to be something he'd wear).

The show was uneven at best, occasionally appalling at worst, but I will miss it!

• Love 5

Just read today that this show was cancelled.  I have to say I found it entertaining and some pretty funny moments.  I really think you need to be of retirement age to  better appreciate the characters reactions to the situations and each other.     Sorry to see this one go.

• Love 3