Type keyword(s) to search

The Cool Kids - General Discussion

ohjoy
  • Start Topic

So, will the market for shows about smart ass old people be as lucrative as the market for smart ass kids?  

I don't know if I will keep watching.  But, after seeing my mom through 26 years in three different retirement communities, I have to say that they definitely nailed the setting.

• Love 12

I liked it.  It made me laugh a lot more than most sitcoms these days do.  When it comes to sitcoms a few laughs is all I ask for.  

I'm highly suspicious of most networks these days, and of course this could get much worse, but I'm in for now. 

• Love 11

Although I didn't love everything in the show, I laughed out loud a few times which amazed me as, like a previous poster, I don't laugh that often at sitcoms.  I will watch one if it amuses me, but I have little expectation of actually laughing.  Which I did during this episode.  That means it's a "keeper" for me.  

I think this show highlighted for me that experienced comedic actors who know how to deliver their lines are a rare breed.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

also think it would be pretty cool (no pun intended) if they could bring on Tim Conway.

I would absolutely love this as well, but I am afraid I have some sad news.  I guess you are not aware, a few weeks ago it was reported that the great Tim Conway wife and daughter are fighting over guardianship of him. Apparently he is suffering from severe dementia where is  unresponsive and unable to take care of his basic needs. The daughter claims the wife is moving him to a low quality facility.  When I first heard of this show I too hoped for maybe a guest visit from. Tim or carol, then I read that and my heart sank. 

I did enjoy the show and all the wonderful actors, especially Leslie jordan, I loved his one man show (on Netflix or hulu...called My Life on the Pink Carpet) and I hope they let him shine here.

• Love 5

This is going to be my favorite show! My husband and I were getting so bored before the new shows premiered so we started watching the 2 seasons of The Neighbors on Hulu. I will never get tired of hearing him say "Hooker, please!" I guffaw every time. That's terrible about Tim Conway, his daughter has guardianship over him, God bless him. 

ETA: Poohbear617, my thoughts exactly on Leslie Jordan! I have never seen the one man show but I am heading there to look for it! 

Also on a personal note - I am fed up to *here!* with my DVR cutting off the last 15 seconds of the shows I record. Why? I ended up watching it on Hulu which is going to be the norm I guess. 

Edited by DuckyinKy
  • Love 3

I was looking forward to this show and it didn't disappoint.  I love the cast and a show that I just want to make me laugh and that did it.  It's only one episode but I like how the 4 main characters work with each other.

• Love 6

I had very low expectations, but I did laugh out loud at several points.  The actors' delivery of some cliché-ish lines was better that I expected.  I'll give it a try.  Still don't know the characters' names yet, but DAG's description of Irish funerals CRACKED ME UP.

• Love 4

I laughed out loud throughout the episode, more than I have in other established sitcoms, so I'm in.

On 9/29/2018 at 10:46 AM, deaja said:

I wasn’t impressed but I will give it another couple episodes. I have loved Vicki Lawrence since Mama’s Family.

I've loved her since "The Carol Burnett Show," when she was in her 20s. She was hilarious then and she still is.

On 9/29/2018 at 2:42 PM, DuckyinKy said:

Also on a personal note - I am fed up to *here!* with my DVR cutting off the last 15 seconds of the shows I record. Why? I ended up watching it on Hulu which is going to be the norm I guess. 

Set it to stop recording a minute or so after the show is scheduled to end (e.g., set it to stop at 8:31 if the program ends at 8:30). Hopefully, that will take care of the problem.

On 9/29/2018 at 1:33 PM, Poohbear617 said:

I did enjoy the show and all the wonderful actors, especially Leslie jordan, I loved his one man show (on Netflix or hulu...called My Life on the Pink Carpet) and I hope they let him shine here.

I think I saw him Off-Broadway decades ago. It might have been his one-man show, “Hysterical Blindness and Other Southern Tragedies That Have Plagued My Life Thus Far.” 

On 9/29/2018 at 10:48 AM, icemiser69 said:

I hope they bring on Fred Willard at some point. 

Oh, I hope not. I've never found him funny in any role. He just comes across as smarmy and creepy.

• Love 1

Somehow I saw the pilot before y'all (I guess the schedule's different in Canada) so posted in the wrong thread as this one didn't exist last week.  Don't know how to move posts, so here's a repeat:  

I thought the first episode was pretty good--I laughed out loud several times, esp. with regards to Leslie Jordan and Vicki Lawrence. It reminded me a bit of Hot in Cleveland--if you enjoy the actors a lot, and they make the most of decent if not spectacular material, then you'll have a good time.  Really, for a comedy, it's just about whether I'm laughing or not (unless they're deliberately setting out to do something dramedy-ish, like G.L.O.W.)  I didn't crack a smile at Single Parents, but I chuckled a lot during this.

• Love 4
On 9/29/2018 at 2:42 PM, DuckyinKy said:

This is going to be my favorite show! My husband and I were getting so bored before the new shows premiered so we started watching the 2 seasons of The Neighbors on Hulu. I will never get tired of hearing him say "Hooker, please!" I guffaw every time. That's terrible about Tim Conway, his daughter has guardianship over him, God bless him. 

ETA: Poohbear617, my thoughts exactly on Leslie Jordan! I have never seen the one man show but I am heading there to look for it! 

"Hooker, please" will never NOT be funny to me.  Every time I get to that episode, I rewind it at least 10 times.  So hilarious!

I love this show too.  Easily my favorite of the new comedies.

• Love 4

I find Martin,Vicki, and Leslie’s characters more fleshed than David ‘s, but for a pilot they gelled very nicely and I love that they’re not being politically correct (David’s line abt women in the 50s, and Martin’s comeback).

And someone upthread nailed it abt seasoned actors knowing how to pose, lay a line or a pause, how to use their expressions (w/o being over the top), and just more be comfortable in their surroundings.

I do worry that advertisers aren’t going to want to spend $ on this show.  I hope they remember that some Baby Boomers still have another 10+ yrs of work (like me) and have that expendable income they so want.

Jamie!  I’d recognize that nose anywhere!  Two of my favorite Ohio actors at the same time, and one a - transplanted - Clevelander.  Ah Tim, if only....

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 8

I liked it too.  I thought David Alan Grier's character a bit "forced" but I'm sure he'll settle in as time goes on.  Love Leslie Jordan.  I remember him from Pee Wee's Playhouse, and some show my mom watched that I didn't care for when I was still in college.

• Love 3

On her 65th birthday, Margaret doesn't feel like celebrating. However, Hank, Sid and Charlie insist on taking her out for a "good old-fashioned young person's night" at the local club, which leaves them all feeling older - and more hungover - than ever.

• Love 1

65? Are they kidding me? What 65yo without a significant disability lives in a home? I thought at first maybe it was a marker, like Jack Benny never aging past 39. But no.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. All around me are 60-somethings who are working full-time, living alone or with their families, traveling, playing sports, volunteering, running things. 65 is the new 40. I love Vicki Lawrence, but I think I'm out.

• Love 16

I'm curious about this retirement community they all live in.   They seem to have full apartments, probably with kitchens, yet they all go to a dining room to eat together.  That's more like a nursing home than a 60 and older apartment village.  And they are all able-bodied, so none of them need assisted living.  Just weird.

I'm only watching because I have nothing else after Last Man Standing, but it's not a very good show.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Suzysite said:

I'm curious about this retirement community they all live in.   They seem to have full apartments, probably with kitchens, yet they all go to a dining room to eat together.  That's more like a nursing home than a 60 and older apartment village.  And they are all able-bodied, so none of them need assisted living.  Just weird.

I'm only watching because I have nothing else after Last Man Standing, but it's not a very good show.

There are several different types of communities for elder adults.  The one depicted in the show appears to follow the "independent living" type of community, where there are condo/apartment style units, with full kitchens, etc., but also offers the amenities of full service dining room, gym, activities room, etc. - kind of a blend between a senior living apartment complex and assisted living.  Some larger complexes or communities offer different levels of "lifestyle" - starting with independent living wing or section, then, as health or abilities decline, there is also an assisted living wing, and then, finally, full service nursing care.  These types of communities don't come cheaply, however.  There are several near me, and the costs are pretty high, but the places are beautiful! 

I will say, though, that I don't think there are very many 65 yr. olds living in these communities~~as mentioned upthread, most 65 yr. olds are still enjoying completely independent living, in their own homes, whether they be in regular neighborhoods or active adult communities/developments - working, living, enjoying life.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 13

I know, 65 is the new 50! How old are these writers? I think it's hilarious that no mention was made of being eligible for Medicare! That's the real biggie when you hit 65 (been there, got that). Unless she had to take early retirement, at 65 she's not quite at the age for full social security benefits, either. I so agree with everyone above about her/them being in a senior facility. Aging in place is all the rage these days. I want to like this show, but the writing is so bad and the stereotypes piss me off so much, I just can't.

That said, some of the stuff at the disco was pretty funny. I did laugh at Vicki's pickup turning out to be a concern over her "wandering" like his nana. Sometimes we delude ourselves!

p.s Don't forget, us old guys invented PCs and SmartPhones dangit.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Love 12

I want to love this show. I reaaallllly want to love this show. But man, the performances of Vicki Lawrence & David Alan Grier are making that difficult. Her character is rather unlikable (maybe that's the point, but I'm not getting it) and his character is annoying. At least to me. I'm willing to overlook the fact that these people are too young and too spry to be in an ALF like this, for the sake of comedy. Fortunately, Martin Mull and Leslie Jordan (who I adore like it's my job) are giving me hope that this show won't be a total disaster. 

• Love 7

I definitely rolled my eyes at the 65 part- even the more independent retirement communities are usually for people older than that it seems.

Other than that, this was a great episode. Much better than the pilot, I thought. But overall, I think pilots are hard because they have to set everything up plus be compelling enough for people to tune in again.

We have two 55 and up Retirement Communities in our area, so I don't see a big issue with someone 65 living in one.  My 63 yr old aunt moved into one a couple of years ago.  She liked living alone, but also wanted the community activities & outings they had.  A few health issues also played into her decision.  She didn't want to have a heart attack & no one find her for days and days.   Not having children or extended family near by often plays into an older person making the same choice. 

So I didn't really think it would be strange for Margaret being in a retirement community. 

Edit to add:  My aunt also has preferred the company of men over women, so I also wouldn't find it odd that Margaret ends up palling around with a group of guys. 

Edited by Steff
  • Love 13

I don't think it's strange, either, for them to be in a retirement community.  My aunt and uncle moved into one when they were mid-60s, and in perfect health.  They have an apartment with a kitchen, but some meals are included in their monthly fee, so they eat in the dining room as often as not.  As with @Steff's aunt, they like the community and the organized outings, though they are still independent and travel a lot on their own.  As they age and become less independent, they'll transfer to the assisted living part of the community.

I liked this ep better than the first one, although the guys accepted Margaret awfully quickly.  Leslie Jordan is a riot -- I think he's the best part (particularly his outfit when he was jumping out of the cake -- the $400 cake!).

ETA that my aunt and uncle moved in voluntarily, so that no one else would have to make that decision for them.  Pretty smart of them, actually.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 9

I thought it was weird too, in part because Vicki Lawrence looks so great and also because in my family 65 is more like 45, and 90 is the new 70.

On the other hand, there is a 55+ community about a mile a way from here and they have gorgeous cluster homes you can buy at a great price (they might also have some attached townhomes and condos also, I'm not sure) and they have a nice community dining room, library, indoor and outdoor swimming pools and a bunch of other amenities and activities... so I can appreciate the appeal of that type of living situation for a single woman in her sixties.  Particularly if the majority of residents are healthy, active and energetic.

• Love 6

Charlie and Hank create online dating profiles, and to boost their egos, Sid pretends to be an interested woman. Of course, the plan goes awry.

19 hours ago, Steff said:

We have two 55 and up Retirement Communities in our area, so I don't see a big issue with someone 65 living in one.  My 63 yr old aunt moved into one a couple of years ago.  She liked living alone, but also wanted the community activities & outings they had.  A few health issues also played into her decision.  She didn't want to have a heart attack & no one find her for days and days.   Not having children or extended family near by often plays into an older person making the same choice. 

So I didn't really think it would be strange for Margaret being in a retirement community. 

Edit to add:  My aunt also has preferred the company of men over women, so I also wouldn't find it odd that Margaret ends up palling around with a group of guys. 

19 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I don't think it's strange, either, for them to be in a retirement community.  My aunt and uncle moved into one when they were mid-60s, and in perfect health.  They have an apartment with a kitchen, but some meals are included in their monthly fee, so they eat in the dining room as often as not.  As with @Steff's aunt, they like the community and the organized outings, though they are still independent and travel a lot on their own.  As they age and become less independent, they'll transfer to the assisted living part of the community.

I liked this ep better than the first one, although the guys accepted Margaret awfully quickly.  Leslie Jordan is a riot -- I think he's the best part (particularly his outfit when he was jumping out of the cake -- the $400 cake!).

ETA that my aunt and uncle moved in voluntarily, so that no one else would have to make that decision for them.  Pretty smart of them, actually.

Agreed.  I didn't think it odd either.  Maybe she's newly widowed and the show hasn't touched on it yet.  Maybe she's not but doesn't have any kids or close family to help (that will be me and my husband eventually).  

• Love 6

I have wanted to live in an assisted living community since I was in my 40s -- my own apartment with an efficiency kitchen, but a dining room for when I didn't want to cook or when I wanted to socialize. 

I didn't think this episode was as funny as the pilot, but I want to see where this is going. Vicki Lawrence had a hit single decades ago, so she can sing. I was sorry that her impromptu open mic was so bad.

I used to find Leslie Jordan annoying, but so far, he's the one I've found funniest so far. I love Vicki Lawrence, but she needs to step it up a little and get a handle on her character. 

• Love 2
On 10/6/2018 at 7:30 AM, wendyg said:

65? Are they kidding me? What 65yo without a significant disability lives in a home? I thought at first maybe it was a marker, like Jack Benny never aging past 39. But no.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. All around me are 60-somethings who are working full-time, living alone or with their families, traveling, playing sports, volunteering, running things. 65 is the new 40. I love Vicki Lawrence, but I think I'm out.

yes, that really pisses me off. ageism at it's finest. what the ****! nice way to make us getting older women feel good. 65 is not old enough to be in an almost nursing home situation you bastards! i'm not feeling this show. it could have been much better. for one, they could have been neighbors and not living in a pre nursing home. 

On 10/6/2018 at 8:23 AM, icemiser69 said:

I agree with you.  The writers of this episode are absolutely clueless when it comes to older folks.

Yikes, this was bad.

Overall, I wasn't impressed with this episode at all.   I don't like people getting on their collective soapboxes on dramas, I hate it that much more when it is done on sitcoms.  A lot of stereotypical bullshit about getting old and them spouting off about it.    In many cases, people in their 60's and older are far more active than many millennials who can't stop staring at their phones, or have a one on one conversation with  another person face to face. 

ETA:  In sports (both professional and amateur) many coaching staffs have had to adjust their coaching style in an effort to communicate effectively with their millennial players.  Many players have a difficult time making eye contact with their coaches, they are more comfortable texting.

The best part was when Leslie Jordan was climbing through the bathroom window.   Both Leslie Jordan and Martin Mull are the best parts of the show.  Vickie Lawrence and David Alan Grier are all sorts of horrible.  Normally I like those two, but not in this.

i'm disappointed in vicky lawrence though i'm sure it's the writing on this crap show. this is the woman who was "mama's family" for goodness sake. never really loved david alan grier but i see he can be good but not in this . the other two , who i love from previous sit coms are stealing the show. martin mull is a gem. leslie jordan is a unique gem!

On 10/6/2018 at 10:15 AM, Suzysite said:

who ever is writing this crap is clueless.

• Love 4

I don’t feel like this is a nursing home type sitcom situation honestly. It feels more like independent living, where my aunt and uncle live for the community events and they are around 65. They also have low income levels so they have the full apartments with relatively cheap rents. Theirs is 100% independent living although there is a dining room that you can eat at or have your guests eat with you for a fee. I don’t find any of that weird or unusual. My mother is dying to move into one as well. 

I don’t love the show yet but I smile through some of it. DAG is the weak point for me so far. Leslie Jordan being only 18 cracked me up, probably too much. Wonder if his wife is still alive or if he has kids that will pop up down the line. I wasn’t able to watch the pilot so no clue about family histories. 

• Love 6

It ended well, but the first half was cringe-worthy to me.  Dick pics are not amusing.  I think I liked it starting about when the boys each came in, raving about Destiny.  Before that, not so much.

And as usual, Leslie Jordan was the best part, though Vicki's initial reaction to the "cop" (watch her instead of the action) was great, too -- she played it so well, you could tell when she went from "OMG! They're fighting!" to "Yeah, right."

• Love 7

The more I watch this show the more I am convinced that Vicki Lawrence is a national treasure. I’ve loved her since Mama’s Family and she hasn’t lost a beat.

Mr SD and I are enjoying it and do actually LOL at times. I’m ok with the discussion of dick pics, showing them would be something totally different. ??

I agree with the OP who think it’s more of an assisted living facility with a communal dining room and varying levels of independence. I personally live in a rural area and don’t know if I can live in one of those (omg, neighbors!) but I think they are great places.

We will keep watching, it’s been amusing so far.

• Love 2

Well I, for one, think the show is very funny. This episode cracked me up, in fact. I think everyone is great, although David Alan Grier was a bit OTT in the pilot. He seems to have dialed it back a bit. I think Vickie Lawrence has been fine. 

I also thought they all seemed too young to be in a retirement community, but others here have pointed out that it is not all that unusual. 

• Love 2

The dick pic is all too real when dealing with online dating sites. Thankfully I don't have any personal experience, but I have a sister who goes on and off the sites and the stories she tells me are seriously cringey.