Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: Mimiki ke kai, ahuwale ka papa leho (When the Sea Draws Out the Tidal Wave, the Rocks Where the Cowries Hide Are Exposed)

• Start Topic

Crime spikes when a heat wave hits Oahu, causing McGarrett and Danny to hunt down a bank thief, and Tani and Junior’s car is stolen while on duty. Also, Grover pkays the golf game of a lifetime, and Kamekona incites a riot by price-gouging on his shave ice.

Original Airdate: October 12, 2018

SOURCE: https://cbspressexpress.com/cbs-entertainment/shows/hawaii-five-0/releases/view?id=51009

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove an unnecessary period from the thread title

A character(s) piece and I enjoyed how the episode shared the airtime amongst the team. The Tani/Junior cargument was nicely done - these two are just great together - I liked their storyline, the riffs and their general prettiness the most, although I do agree about the odd choice of hot weather clothing, by both of them actually (Tani's leather 'jeggings' and Junior's denims, boots and an over shirt - duh!).

Just wondering why Adam gets full title billing when he's still AWOL.

21 minutes ago, Roselle said:

Just wondering why Adam gets full title billing when he's still AWOL.

And when are they ever going to address the gun issue (to a conclusion)??

Edited by preeya

Love the ending of Singing in the Rain. As really Junior getting his control issues from McGarrett. Also that of him and Tani arguing like Danny and Steve. At least Tani acknowledges control issues for both of them. Being around Steve for Junior can be good or bad.

Poor Gary carrying that of Lou's golf thing. And really Lou is so funny. But really everybody suffering except him in the heat LOL! 

Yeah hope they can address Adam's gun issue. And really fast. It is dragging along.

Steve just tries to claim credit it seems for everything Danny does. Danny may be annoying but Steve with the restaurant and in that claiming it was his idea. And Danny wants to be equals with his so called best friend. Danny is a team player. Steve may be a great leader but a team player not so much. Just really kind of bothers me a bit. But that is just me guess. It seems Steve hijacks everything Danny does. And Danny "lets" it happen on his watch.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Passepartout said:

Poor Gary carrying that of Lou's golf thing. And really Lou is so funny.

I've been watching Chi McBride for decades, from "Pushing Daisies" to "Human Target" to all the way back to "John Laroquette Show"

(not to mention movies like "The Frighteners" and "Gone in 60 Seconds").

You can just tell his ad-lib moments really make his characters much more believably funny.

(PS  Only "Dog" can turn a hot tub into a "cold" tub.  HA HA)

• Love 1

A few thoughts about Steve and Danny's restaurant...

1)  Is the restaurant open?  If so, why have we not seen even a single scene with customers, staff, etc?

2)  And if the restaurant is not open, why is their refrigerator full of salmon and other fresh fish??????????

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Passepartout said:

It seems Steve hijacks everything Danny does. And Danny "lets" it happen on his watch.

It wouldn't bother me if we knew Danny acknowledged that Steve is just generally like that and let it go. When he bitches about it all the time and still lets it happen, it's grating.

I would like it a lot better if Caan played Danny as more the adult here but he just comes off as whiny. I trash talk a ton and put on an act just to really to stick it to people are being actual jerks. I could get behind the bickering if it was more Danny condescending to Steve to be like - you see how you are? Knock it off. 

• Love 2

This was old-school and actually quite charming (apart from the gruesome murders). I prefer this show to go low-key and drop nuclear devices, bio-chemical weapons, terrorists, spies, serial killers and what have you not for a change.

I'm really starting to like Junior and Tani together and Tani's Danny was great.

That last scene at the beach felt like the show trying to make up with the Hawaiian tourist board who might have taken issue with the show turning Hawaii into a magnet for all sorts of disasters, crimes and catastrophes (s. above).

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, ganesh said:

It wouldn't bother me if we knew Danny acknowledged that Steve is just generally like that and let it go. When he bitches about it all the time and still lets it happen, it's grating.

I would like it a lot better if Caan played Danny as more the adult here but he just comes off as whiny. I trash talk a ton and put on an act just to really to stick it to people are being actual jerks. I could get behind the bickering if it was more Danny condescending to Steve to be like - you see how you are? Knock it off. 

True but like you can't stand Danny and I will very much respect that indeed. As that is how I feel about Steve. Yes he lets Steve drive his car. But his control issues yes he is a SEAL but not to the point you control everything and everybody. Was funny at first. But now it is annoying downright and pretty times not considerate. There is a time and place for that and not a time and a place like a work that is OK. But outside it, not so much.

No, I don't like Steve at all. I was just commenting on how Caan could have taken a different acting direction to playing out the bickering. It's patently ridiculous that Steve *always* drives. If he's playing Danny like, 'yeah yeah Steve you're right, now let's go' then I get it. But how it is just makes Danny look like a tool. 

He's the only one that's an actual detective and it doesn't seem like that counts for anything. 

I don't get why the guy just didn't say why he needed the ice so bad. Chances are the other guy would have given it to him. 

I also don't get why the woman, who could kill a cop handcuffed, couldn't get out of a stuck elevator and climb up the cable. 

Or why people stand out in the rain. Your clothes get all soggy. 

Though I did like this episode. Jun and Tani are actually decent cops.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, ganesh said:

I also don't get why the woman, who could kill a cop handcuffed, couldn't get out of a stuck elevator and climb up the cable. 

I just re-watched that part.  When Steve climbed down to the roof of the stuck elevator, he had to open two pretty heavy duty latches to open the access door.  With latches like that on the outside, the woman had no chance to push the panel open and crawl out.

Also, I would think it would depend on how the elevator stopped - if it came to a jerking halt she could have gotten hurt.  If she wasn’t hurt, she sure was posed oddly, all sprawled out like that, on her back and with her eyes open.  I would think if the heat had gotten to her, she would have just been seated on the floor, perhaps slumped over and her eyes would have been shut.   She didn’t look like someone who collapsed from the heat.

Speaking of heat - there were surprisingly few people in the water when we saw the beaches behind Kamekona’s truck and where Tani and Junior went swimming.  Here in Michigan, when there is a heatwave every body of water fit for swimming is jammed with people.  And what did Tani do with her car key fob while they were swimming?  I would hope they locked their guns, phones, etc. in the car, so leaving a means of egress unprotected on the beach while frolicking seems a poor choice.

There must have been a dozen kids trespassing in the pool.  The girl sounded like she lived nearby (“I thought he wasn’t home” plus they must have walked since no cars/bikes out front) and it looked like a nice area - none of those kids had or knew someone who had their own pool?  Or had means to go to the ocean?  

Don’t even get me started on why the hell the as-yet-unopened restaurant had such a large supply of fresh fish.

Sometimes I think the writers don't even try.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Don’t even get me started on why the hell the as-yet-unopened restaurant had such a large supply of fresh fish

Not to mention lobsters, crabs, & steaks (also mentioned as being in the freezer. Unless next week is a "we've opened the restaurant" storyline, it makes no sense.

40 minutes ago, SweetTooth said:

I also found Kamekona horrible and was really glad making the shaved ice $15 bucks backfired. If he's such an amazing businessman, he would know that these people, who literally watched him triple the price, would remember that and not come back. He was trading in one day of business for a whole bunch of future business. He'd get a really bad rep. I don't know how he could claim to be a good businessman from this point on.

Also, someone would have called the cops and he'd be arrested for price gouging.  He'd almost certainly losr his business license.  ( 9-1-1 did a mini-story about a price-gouher; the cop who came made him make everything in the store half off the original price!)

If I'd been the caddy, I'd have told the 5-0 group that Lou shot a 90.  That would be only fair.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Also, someone would have called the cops and he'd be arrested for price gouging.  He'd almost certainly losr his business license.  ( 9-1-1 did a mini-story about a price-gouher; the cop who came made him make everything in the store half off the original price!)

We are not talking about water with the water mains busted but a local snack treat, a candy or ice cream alternative. With people stealing cars to use the air conditioning and a spree killer on the loose why would HPD bother with that one?

1 hour ago, Raja said:

We are not talking about water with the water mains busted but a local snack treat, a candy or ice cream alternative. With people stealing cars to use the air conditioning and a spree killer on the loose why would HPD bother with that one?

Most states have a designated dept/phone number to call abt price gouging and investigate after the crises.  He still would’ve either had a suspended license or lost it, just not right then.  I normally do not care for Flippa, but this time I was rooting him on.

Steve & Danny likely have the food because the restaurant is opening in a manner of days.  Remember a week between episodes isn’t necessarily real time.  It could be more or less.

Grover was an ass.  That caddy should report him to the Club.  They expect their employees to not be put in harm’s way by members/guests.  The caddy was nice enough to offer him incentive, but he didn’t care.

My guess the reason why there were so few people at the beach was because it wasn’t refreshing.  That water had to be minimum of 80.  Combined with the sun beating down on them, it’s a no brainer to stay in the air or find an air conditioned building, or even go to the mountains were there might be a breeze and shady.

Man, cooked to death in an iron box is horrible, but she deserved it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Steve & Danny likely have the food because the restaurant is opening in a manner of days.  Remember a week between episodes isn’t necessarily real time.  It could be more or less.

I think the point was, instead of writing all the pissy dialogue, they could have thrown in a line - "I'm worried this is going to spoil and it will ruin our opening next week."

• Love 1

Some poetic license on display as Hawaii has only had one day at 100 Degrees, and not in Honolulu. But I also realize the show isn't really grounded in reality.

At one time, Kamekona had a shaved ice stand on the north part of the island? It is where Steve hid out after he jumped out of the ambulance back in Season 2? It would seem that store would be serving more shaved ice than his truck, so why not call them and boost the price? Also, Flippa is supposed to be running a truck on the North shore, not sure why he was in Honolulu?

So, did the kids that were trespassing in the guy's pool get in any trouble? I half expected to see them with waist manacles like a chain gang being led away into the paddy wagon with Duke supervising for his occasional cameo.

I was also bothered by Lou's attitude about the caddy and playing golf. I also think any golf course would have insisted on players riding a cart in those extreme conditions. That could have been a good scene, with the caddy passing out and running over Lou's ball in the rough, and Lou unable to find it and not wanting to take a 2-shot penalty to replace it. Or, the caddy passing out while driving and having the cart run off into a water hazard, submerging his clubs and the cart (the caddy falls out, of course, no need for a death on the golf course) and Lou having to play the last hole with only his putter or some other odd club. Oh well, maybe another episode.

Now, if I had just taken a briefcase with something less but close to 500 grand from an air-conditioning duct where I was working, would I just go back to my apartment? Would I not think the owner just may come looking for it, and very easily discover who I am? As Steve and Danny can attest, it is not so simple to take that much cash and do anything with it for the long-term. I would also think that taking Kamekona's money for buying in and not reporting it has to violate some sort of law?

Not an episode that really moved any of the story lines forward very much, some fun characterization.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Steve: I put you in charge, because I want the kids to look up to you and respect you and your knowledge.

Also Steve: You're bringing out the fish in the wrong order, and the freezer guy lied.

I think what they're trying to do is show how Steve is a bit OCD due to his military training, etc., but the way it's coming off is sometimes just controlling ass.

At least I am not the only one that thinks Steve is a being a major league bleep. And that everybody points out Danny's faults. On the boards I come across. Thank ya Sweet Tooth!

(edited)

The restaurant is supposed to have a “soft opening” in the 200th episode, according to comments already made in the press by the showrunner, Peter Lenkov. That should be sometime in the next few weeks; as of October 5th, 195 episodes have aired.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a comment.
On 10/15/2018 at 2:54 AM, SweetTooth said:

Yes, why do they have 85 pounds of food, and why Steve doesn't know that even a normal refrigerator  in your home would keep food frozen for twenty-four hours? His insistence on putting the food in coolers was utterly ridiculous and stupidity beyond measure. His best excuse is the salesman might have lied? 

Even if he didn't  trust the salesman a commercial freezer is going to have better insulation than a camping cooler. Instead of moving the fish into the cooler with ice, move the ice into the cooler with the fish.

Hell if you are really worried and it is a walk in, put the fish in the cooler and then put the cooler in the freezer.

Also it seemed like if Steve and Danny had called for back up when driving to that apartment building, so that the nearest cops arrived first, they might have saved that HVAC guy.

19 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also it seemed like if Steve and Danny had called for back up when driving to that apartment building, so that the nearest cops arrived first, they might have saved that HVAC guy.

Well it is TV remeber the classic seen of the CSI Miami Humvee leading the line of police Crown Vics and helicopter to where ever it was going ;)