Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Band Of Dads

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I had the same thought! "How did he get in to the office...and why is the balcony door still open?" 

I thought the scene of Rome going to Jon’s office and onto the balcony was all in his imagination; he couldn’t stop thinking about what Jon had done and picturing himself in his place. The window was still open and the crime scene tape was there because that is how it looked last time he was there.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I thought the scene of Rome going to Jon’s office and onto the balcony was all in his imagination; he couldn’t stop thinking about what Jon had done and picturing himself in his place. The window was still open and the crime scene tape was there because that is how it looked last time he was there.

I don’t think so because it would be weird to have two hallucinations in one scene. He definitely imagined crossing the tape and standing on the railing because we see him come out of it and he is still standing behind the tape shaking his head.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

So far Gary is my favorite just because I'm enjoying Roday as an actor. (I've never watched Psych, but am now thinking maybe I should?)

Psych is a really fun, goofy, entertaining show, especially the first few seasons.  Tons of references to the 80’s, old movies and popular culture in general make it a lot of fun to watch, too. The cast is also terrific and Roday has great chemistry with all of them, especially Dule Hill who plays his best friend since childhood. Great lighthearted, escapist fare. Also a ton of really cool guest stars.

• Love 17
16 hours ago, Veronica said:

I babysat for a couple and the woman did the same thing. She thought she could move the new boyfriend right in, but she lost the house & the kids. I guess it is now 20 years later and the kids still want nothing to do with mom. They are very close to to the woman their father married a few years later. 

I work in schools. We once had a meeting with a family where Dad left Mom for the next door neighbor. Dad and both women were at the child's meeting, though it was definitely uncomfortable. 

• Love 2

I loved loved loved Gary's storyline with Jon's son - I knew when they started talking about the son's crush, they were keeping the language very non-specific, and then Delilah ran over after over hearing and asked about 'her'. Gary is a great uncle, and I'm loving James Roday on this show. And I'm even enjoying his hook-up's story so far - I'm curious to see where this goes.

Rome's story is a little more complicated, but I really appreciated how it tied into Jon's daughter's story. Rome is a lost soul - I feel like he thought he'd be the next big thing as a director, and part of his depression is that he's not the nu-Spielburg (or insert other big director here). I so appreciated the 'gardener/flower' comparison. He's just looking for something to hold on to, and this story has some personal resonance for me.

Eddie...well. Less said. DG brings the pretty, but that storyline bores the heck out of me at this point.

The restaurant storyline is still unfocused - I don't want to hate it, but I don't like Delilah for obvious reasons, and we're only two eps in, so I'm willing to wait a bit. Same with the assistant, this feels like some sort of injection of a Freeform mystery show.

TL:DR: I'm sticking around for Rome and Gary.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

2 HOURS AGO, AMS1001 SAID:

I had the same thought! "How did he get in to the office...and why is the balcony door still open?" 

Yeah; that was just my thoughts before it was made clear it was just in his head. Though it did then show him behind the tape, inside the office (I couldn't tell if the door was open at that point)...was he really in the office but just not on the balcony? So my first question still stands...who let him into the office because it didn't seem like anyone else was around.

11 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Psych is a really fun, goofy, entertaining show, especially the first few seasons.  Tons of references to the 80’s, old movies and popular culture in general make it a lot of fun to watch, too. The cast is also terrific and Roday has great chemistry with all of them, especially Dule Hill who plays his best friend since childhood. Great lighthearted, escapist fare. Also a ton of really cool guest stars.

My friend was a big Psych fan; don't know if she's watched this, though I don't really think it's her kind of show.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So my first question still stands...who let him into the office because it didn't seem like anyone else was around.

It’s a big building a security guard could have done it, why a security guard would do it is a question that won’t be answered.

Before we see Rome in the office we see Regina wake up in bed and find a post it note from him saying he couldn’t sleep and went for a walk so I definitely think we are supposed to assume he was really in the office and the door and tape are still there even though this would be the second time people have been hanging out in what appears to be an active crime scene.

How cold was the coffee Ashley brought because it’s clear that his office is downtown and that house though clearly in Vancouver would be a distance distance from downtown given its sizes 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Yeah; that was just my thoughts before it was made clear it was just in his head. Though it did then show him behind the tape, inside the office (I couldn't tell if the door was open at that point)...was he really in the office but just not on the balcony? So my first question still stands...who let him into the office because it didn't seem like anyone else was around.

My friend was a big Psych fan; don't know if she's watched this, though I don't really think it's her kind of show.

Psych reruns are on Hallmark Mystery channel a lot and they’re doing a marathon on Sunday.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

...ok, so they never said it out loud. However, with Maggie's ex calling her oncologist by his first name and Maggie correcting it to Dr. Whatever His Last Name is, I figure there's a story there so my mind immediately went to them being super close. I am willing to admit that I could be wrong on that. 

I definitely thought there was a story there too, but I am not sure what they are getting at.  His use of the first name and Maggie's correction was very pointed and clearly a hint at more to come.

• Love 2

I found it interesting that Delilah made the first move on Eddie.

Eddie and his son are cute together.

I guess I'm the only one who is really into Ashley's storyline - I can't wait to find out what's really going on there. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

How cold was the coffee Ashley brought because it’s clear that his office is downtown and that house though clearly in Vancouver would be a distance distance from downtown given its sizes 

Except the show is set in Boston, not Vancouver.  Delilah is clearly supposed to live in the 'burbs (Newton, maybe?) and, really, those cups should have been from Dunkin!

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Except the show is set in Boston, not Vancouver.  Delilah is clearly supposed to live in the 'burbs (Newton, maybe?) and, really, those cups should have been from Dunkin!

I am aware that is where it’s set it’s just filmed in Vancouver and it’s super obvious that’s the case.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, saoirse said:

Rome's story is a little more complicated, but I really appreciated how it tied into Jon's daughter's story. Rome is a lost soul - I feel like he thought he'd be the next big thing as a director, and part of his depression is that he's not the nu-Spielberg (or insert other big director here). I so appreciated the 'gardener/flower' comparison. He's just looking for something to hold on to, and this story has some personal resonance for me.

Rome's story is a bit more complicated, and if you've been "in the business" you can appreciate what he is going through.  I do lighting and work with directors every day.  I'm lucky because I know when I will work and how much I will get paid.  But Rome--  Rome never knows when he will find work or how much he will make.  Think of it like this-- you remember your last job interview or your last blind date?  Every time Rome starts a new project it's like going on a job interview or first date.  Imagine doing that over and over.  That is Rome's life right now.

Edited by TheLastKidPicked
  • Love 11
On 10/4/2018 at 6:27 PM, dcubed said:

I think that is entirely possible and quite common.  There usually isn't "a" reason for suicide.  Depression leading to suicide is a deep, dark cloud from which re-entry into light seems impossible.  Many, many friends and families never find the reason(s) why. 

This is timely (though maybe not exactly a coincidence); I get a couple book-related email newsletters at work and today's contained a review for this book:

Suicidal: Why We Kill Ourselves by Jesse Bering (comes out November 5)

Review: https://www.shelf-awareness.com/issue.html?issue=3349#m41996

(Not sure if this should go in the episode thread, but I thought of dcubed's comment when I saw the review.)

• Love 4
On 10/4/2018 at 9:10 AM, biakbiak said:

Oops my bad it was a division of Pension benefits  held by The Rutledge Trust not a seperate trust.. The three plus Barbara are listed as the Prinary Beneficiaries of his pension benefits.. Under federal law Dellialh would have had to sign a waiver saying she knew she wasn’t the primary beneficiary of his pension.

The Ashley storyline seems like it’s from a completely different show.

What I was worried about was whether that waiver and other paperwork that moved the trust to Ashely were hidden in the papers she brought for Delilah and Regina to sign.  That whole "the restaurant building was meant for both of you" story she gave them seemed pretty shady.  And when I say worried I don't mean worried for the characters; I actually mean worried because it's not a storyline I'd really want to see for the rest of the season (just my opinion on what plots I find interesting and some that I hate to watch).  But the fact that she hasn't turned over the envelope she first found or the papers it lead her to is sneaky enough.  

On 10/4/2018 at 3:25 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

I can actually buy this.  I've read that when someone makes up their mind to commit suicide, their demeanor becomes more positive.  Anecdotally speaking, I had a cousin who had battled mental health issues for decades.  All of a sudden, she started smiling again, cleaning her house, getting her hair done.  A week later she was found in her garage with the car running.  

I'd agree with this for many reasons.  But mostly because people really, really determined don't project their decision.  Some will even accidentally but most know if they gave away their plan they risk intervention or even involentary commitment plus, as you said, they're at peace with it.  Once the decision is made and they see the course in front of them they're happy to have what they think is a resolution.  Jon may have been that happy guy for real but at some point he started faking the happy to maintain how people saw him; even if he did that for years I have no problem with creating his character that way it would be completely true to life.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, sigmaforce86 said:

What I was worried about was whether that waiver and other paperwork that moved the trust to Ashely were hidden in the papers she brought for Delilah and Regina to sign.  That whole "the restaurant building was meant for both of you" story she gave them seemed pretty shady.  And when I say worried I don't mean worried for the characters; I actually mean worried because it's not a storyline I'd really want to see for the rest of the season (just my opinion on what plots I find interesting and some that I hate to watch).  But the fact that she hasn't turned over the envelope she first found or the papers it lead her to is sneaky enough.  

Oh crap. I bet you're right.

• Love 2

Watched the first two episodes last nite - interesting set-up for a TV movie, but not sure the characters are likeable enough for a series. Plus, compared to This Is Us, the music sucks.

On edit (and second thought), maybe they’ll be more likeable in time - an affair between a best friend and spouse is such a scumbag betrayal, it might take a little time.

Edited by nexxie
  • Love 2

Ha! I was going to comment that I really liked their choice of songs so far. To each their own.

I do agree that they need to up their characterization, though, if they want viewers to commit long term. Though I would argue that (IMO, at least) the This Is Us gang aren't particularly likeable, either. (I know you weren't comparing the two shows in terms of likeable characters, just saying TIU seems to be extremely popular, yet every week the thread is full of people complaining about the characters...)

• Love 7

I used to love TIU, but I bailed after the first episode of this season, because I really got sick of all the manipulation, bullshit twists, stupid ideas, and annoying people. I suspect I will tire of this show in the same way. But I'm not quite there yet. I don't love this show, but I am interested to see if they actually do anything worthwhile with the topic of suicide and its aftermath, so I'm sticking around a little bit in case they do. That's what kept me hanging on with TIU, as well-- I was interested in some of the topics, like adoption. It's something not every show is focused on, and I like when shows do things I don't see on every other show. So I will overlook some of what annoys me, if they do other things well. But if they squander the potential of the topic by handling it in a stupid way, or the show becomes TOO annoying in general, then I'm out.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I’m late to the game, but damn did I just bawl my eyes out! Makes This is Us pale in comparison. 

While this show doesn't make me cry (although I might have felt a twinge in the scenes with Gary and Jon's son), I agree that this is a better show than TIU.  For one thing, the plot is actually moving.  Granted, it might be moving too fast...but I watched TIU for a season and a half and in that time very little actually happened.  

Despite my many complaints about this show, I do hope it gets itself straightened out because I do think it has some real potential.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

I’m late to the game, but damn did I just bawl my eyes out! Makes This is Us pale in comparison. 

ETA- I guess I am at a table of one, since I really like this. 

You're not alone, I like it too!

• Love 2
10 hours ago, tvfanatic13 said:

ETA- I guess I am at a table of one, since I really like this. 

I really like it, too! I was surprised that it got so much negative feedback here. I'm not claiming that it's perfect, but I'm invested in the characters, and I like the storylines so far. 

• Love 2

Psych is on Amazon prime, too. I started to watch it in May, after only occasionally watching it in the past, when it was on, but I didn't get back to it. I got really ill, and have been really depressed all year, so I haven't focused on much. 

• Love 2
On 10/3/2018 at 11:36 PM, shapeshifter said:

What I/we really want to know: Was Jon's voicemail to Eddie of "Love each other" intended as a blessing for Eddie and Delilah, or did it mean for Eddie to love Gary and Rome?

Given that Jon had Eddie's neckace, and Eddie was the one he chose to call, my take was that it was about Eddie and Delilah. I'm not sure it was a blessing exactly - maybe an "I know what you did" wrapped inside a blessing.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:19 AM, DearEvette said:

ETA:  I wonder if Constance Zimmer is the mysterious Barbara Morgan?  You don't cast Constance Zimmer as a blink and you miss it funeral attendee...

Bet you're right

On 10/4/2018 at 5:08 PM, KaveDweller said:

Can't they tell by body position if a person jumped or fell? On cop shows they can always figure out if suicide is faked and that's how they start to investigate  who killed the person. I assume the cops did some kind of investigation to confirm it's suicide and we just didn't see it because it isn't important to the story.

It was too high a barrier for it to be a simple fall. And Ashely, however shady she might be, doesn't seem like she's big enough to toss him over. I'm sure they're investigating, but I think it would be pretty clear cut.

On 10/4/2018 at 7:57 PM, biakbiak said:

I don’t think so because it would be weird to have two hallucinations in one scene. He definitely imagined crossing the tape and standing on the railing because we see him come out of it and he is still standing behind the tape shaking his head.

Not hallucinations - Eddie's a director, and he's envisioning a scene with himself in the lead. But I do think he was there (not visualizing himself visualizing). Which was, as everyone says, kind of strange.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Not hallucinations - Eddie's a director, and he's envisioning a scene with himself in the lead. But I do think he was there (not visualizing himself visualizing). Which was, as everyone says, kind of strange.

I think you mean Rome.  Eddie is the failed rock star, Rome is the director.  And Gary sells insurance (which I kind of love...usually people have jobs like Lawyer, doctor, director, etc.  It's so rare to see someone with a non-glamorous or non-prestigious job!).

You mentioned above about Jon's voicemail.  I think the audience is supposed to think that it is about Eddie and Delilah, but I don't think so.  Honestly, that is just far too easy and obvious.  Secondly, it just doesn't make sense.  As I said several posts ago, Eddie is hardly a good candidate for Jon's kids' stepdad...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I think you mean Rome.  Eddie is the failed rock star, Rome is the director.  And Gary sells insurance (which I kind of love...usually people have jobs like Lawyer, doctor, director, etc.  It's so rare to see someone with a non-glamorous or non-prestigious job!).

You mentioned above about Jon's voicemail.  I think the audience is supposed to think that it is about Eddie and Delilah, but I don't think so.  Honestly, that is just far too easy and obvious.  Secondly, it just doesn't make sense.  As I said several posts ago, Eddie is hardly a good candidate for Jon's kids' stepdad...

Yep, meant Rome. Don't have the names down yet. Though you'd think that one would be easy. 

I don't think it needs to make sense, after all Jon was suicidal, so probably not making the best of decisions. Otoh, Eddie was the daughter's music tutor, so she's probably closer to him than the others. And he seems pretty decent with his own son, so I can see that factoring in. Maybe the affair wasn't as much a trigger as a release. That is, not as much "I am killing myself because what they did hurt me," as "okay, they have someone I love to fill my space, so I can go."

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Yep, meant Rome. Don't have the names down yet. Though you'd think that one would be easy. 

I don't think it needs to make sense, after all Jon was suicidal, so probably not making the best of decisions. Otoh, Eddie was the daughter's music tutor, so she's probably closer to him than the others. And he seems pretty decent with his own son, so I can see that factoring in. Maybe the affair wasn't as much a trigger as a release. That is, not as much "I am killing myself because what they did hurt me," as "okay, they have someone I love to fill my space, so I can go."

Interesting thought. I am invested in finding out what's actually been going on here.

And I'm confused about the Eddie hate. Yes, he's a cheater, Delilah's a cheater, and that is a bad thing. But that doesn't mean that every person who cheats on a spouse is evil (and no, I have not cheated on a spouse. I honestly do find cheating to be pretty reprehensible). But people talk of him being a stay-at-home Dad and a "failed" musician as if those are things to be ashamed of. And his wife is a stressed-out lawyer and people defend her without really knowing anything about her. If the roles were reversed (as is the more common scenario), there would be folks saying he must be a driven, cold asshole who is never there for the family and she is the put-upon Mom trying to hold the home and family together. The reverse sexism bugs.

I also feel that Eddie (and all of them, really) have shown that this has really shook them, in their own ways. I see the guilt in both he and Delilah. We are only two episodes in, so a rush to judgement about the characters is confusing. 

• Love 9
24 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Interesting thought. I am invested in finding out what's actually been going on here.

And I'm confused about the Eddie hate. Yes, he's a cheater, Delilah's a cheater, and that is a bad thing. But that doesn't mean that every person who cheats on a spouse is evil (and no, I have not cheated on a spouse. I honestly do find cheating to be pretty reprehensible). But people talk of him being a stay-at-home Dad and a "failed" musician as if those are things to be ashamed of. And his wife is a stressed-out lawyer and people defend her without really knowing anything about her. If the roles were reversed (as is the more common scenario), there would be folks saying he must be a driven, cold asshole who is never there for the family and she is the put-upon Mom trying to hold the home and family together. The reverse sexism bugs.

I also feel that Eddie (and all of them, really) have shown that this has really shook them, in their own ways. I see the guilt in both he and Delilah. We are only two episodes in, so a rush to judgement about the characters is confusing. 

I don't think anyone is defending Katherine, but I do think that we've noticed that how Eddie portrays his wife to his friends (which is also the rationale he uses for adultery) does not match up with what the show has shown us about Katherine.  That is actually a pretty glaring and, frankly, intriguing disconnect in the show...

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I don't think anyone is defending Katherine, but I do think that we've noticed that how Eddie portrays his wife to his friends (which is also the rationale he uses for adultery) does not match up with what the show has shown us about Katherine.  That is actually a pretty glaring and, frankly, intriguing disconnect in the show...

They haven't shown us much about her at all, but what they have shown has not endeared her to me. I see no disconnect between what we've seen and what Eddie has said, though people often exaggerate the bad when discussing marital issues. I took the Thai food line as a facetious throwaway, just an example of how miserable Eddie is in his relationship. Most of what we've seen of Katherine was in the presence of others, and even then, she was not very warm and fuzzy. Why was she blaming Eddie because she forgot her briefcase? Why would she comment to a grieving family friend that she didn't think a funeral/memorial would be an "all-day" thing? Any way you slice it, that was horribly insensitive.

• Love 11

Guintoli is not a very emotive actor. I liked him on Grimm, but he was usually playing the stoic guy with a secret, or the steely determined guy with a mission. He didn't do emotional stuff even when the show was heartbreaking. Even in his action scenes, or when his character's mother was killed, he had a clenched jaw and never broke a sweat or lost his cool.

I think his way of playing Eddie is too similar. He gets agitated and "has to see" Delilah, he says he needs to be with her... but it's all surface. I don't feel any passion from him at all. So he is coming across like he's not truly upset about Jon's death, or feeling guilty about his infidelity. He says he can't dance with the kid, but he doesn't ever seem to feel anything beyond mildly agitated.

I think this influences how Eddie comes across, making it seem like he's not really caring about anything except his personal impulses.

I do like him with his kid. Both he and Gary are best with kids. It will be a surprise if the show is best when it involves parenting, while it thinks it's about something entirely different than that.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Guintoli is not a very emotive actor. I liked him on Grimm, but he was usually playing the stoic guy with a secret, or the steely determined guy with a mission. He didn't do emotional stuff even when the show was heartbreaking. Even in his action scenes, or when his character's mother was killed, he had a clenched jaw and never broke a sweat or lost his cool.

I think his way of playing Eddie is too similar. He gets agitated and "has to see" Delilah, he says he needs to be with her... but it's all surface. I don't feel any passion from him at all. So he is coming across like he's not truly upset about Jon's death, or feeling guilty about his infidelity. He says he can't dance with the kid, but he doesn't ever seem to feel anything beyond mildly agitated.

I think this influences how Eddie comes across, making it seem like he's not really caring about anything except his personal impulses.

I do like him with his kid. Both he and Gary are best with kids. It will be a surprise if the show is best when it involves parenting, while it thinks it's about something entirely different than that.

I see what you're saying, but I feel like I can see the angst. He may not be breaking down and crying or screaming or throwing a fit, but I see the emotion in his face, behind the eyes. Like the wheels are turning but he's holding back. I thought he showed some pretty decent emotion when giving his eulogy. And I think he's absolutely upset about Jon's death, and feels a lot of guilt. I would think he went to see Delilah because he wanted to be with the woman he loves, to comfort himself as well as comfort her. He's lost and confused, as anyone would be. 

I feel like all of the characters have shown their grief and sorrow in their own ways so far. Everyone handles tragedy differently. We don't all rend garments and gnash teeth. At my mother's memorial service, people were smiling and laughing, myself included. If you'd told me that I would be eating and drinking and joking around with people at my mom's service a year before it happened, I would've thought you were crazy. The human mind/spirit has ways of protecting itself. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Gothish520 said:

They haven't shown us much about her at all, but what they have shown has not endeared her to me. I see no disconnect between what we've seen and what Eddie has said, though people often exaggerate the bad when discussing marital issues. I took the Thai food line as a facetious throwaway, just an example of how miserable Eddie is in his relationship. Most of what we've seen of Katherine was in the presence of others, and even then, she was not very warm and fuzzy. Why was she blaming Eddie because she forgot her briefcase? Why would she comment to a grieving family friend that she didn't think a funeral/memorial would be an "all-day" thing? Any way you slice it, that was horribly insensitive.

Actually, she wasn't blaming Eddie for forgetting her briefcase.  The promo edited the scene to make it look as such, but the scene itself played out differently.  She came home because she forgot her briefcase and she was irritated because she was behind schedule due to a misstep by a co-worker.  If anything that scene in the bedroom made Katherine *more* sympathetic to me, because I saw how frazzled and overwhelmed she was...which is probably why her comment to Rome about the funeral being an all-day thing hit me more as thoughtless than insensitive.  I also have no reason to believe that what she said to Delilah at the funeral was anything but genuine.

I mean, it's okay not to like her.  Honestly, I would prefer not to like her (so that I don't have to battle with my feelings about the actress versus my feelings about the role).  And, honestly, we've seen so little of her that we can't really tell.  I think that going forward she'll be more prominently featured which will hopefully shed some light on things.  It could be she turns out to be as toxic as Eddie says--I just don't see any evidence of that yet.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Actually, she wasn't blaming Eddie for forgetting her briefcase.  The promo edited the scene to make it look as such, but the scene itself played out differently.  She came home because she forgot her briefcase and she was irritated because she was behind schedule due to a misstep by a co-worker.  If anything that scene in the bedroom made Katherine *more* sympathetic to me, because I saw how frazzled and overwhelmed she was...which is probably why her comment to Rome about the funeral being an all-day thing hit me more as thoughtless than insensitive.  I also have no reason to believe that what she said to Delilah at the funeral was anything but genuine.

I mean, it's okay not to like her.  Honestly, I would prefer not to like her (so that I don't have to battle with my feelings about the actress versus my feelings about the role).  And, honestly, we've seen so little of her that we can't really tell.  I think that going forward she'll be more prominently featured which will hopefully shed some light on things.  It could be she turns out to be as toxic as Eddie says--I just don't see any evidence of that yet.

From what I remember of the briefcase scene, she did say to Eddie "didn't you notice I didn't have it with me when I left?" or something along those lines. Granted, that's the kind of thing that spouses will say to each other when they are in a rush and aggravated with themselves for forgetting something. 

As for the all-day comment, I can't forgive that, it's just too rude. But I do agree with you that as we see more of the character, I'm sure we will find out the real story. And like I said in another post, if Eddie turns out to be a son of a bitch, I will have no trouble admitting that, lol. 

• Love 4

I don't think Eddie has to sob and gnash his teeth or anything so dramatic. But I do think that his calm demeanor in general combined with his manic craving for Delilah are the combination that makes him seem less likable than other characters on the show-- so far.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, possibilities said:

I almost didn't watch Grimm because I thought he was pretty terrible that first season, but he improved, as one does when playing against people with better skills. I thought he was wonderful during the eulogy, so I don't really have any complaints.

2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

To me thoughtless and insensitive are pretty much the same thing. The dictionary definition for thoughtless is "lacking concern for others" (though granted, there is a secondary meaning that is a little less harsh).

I don't dislike her character at all at this point, though, and in my experience it is rarely one partner that causes the breakdown of a marriage (never been on either side of Eddie's situation, for what that's worth). They don't look like they were particularly well suited from what little we've seen of their dynamic. Actually, I don't dislike anyone. I don't have much of a feel for the widow, and the assistant seems sketchy. But so far I haven't made any judgments.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

To me thoughtless and insensitive are pretty much the same thing. The dictionary definition for thoughtless is "lacking concern for others" (though granted, there is a secondary meaning that is a little less harsh).

To me the difference between "thoughtless" and "insensitive" is this:  if I said something thoughtless and someone called me out on it, I'd be embarrassed by what I said because I hadn't considered that it was rude (and I don't want to be rude).  If I said something insensitive, I wouldn't care if it was rude or not and wouldn't feel bad if it was received that way.  Again, we know so little at this point about Katherine, but I really feel her "all-day" more likely falls in the first camp than the second.

As for Giuntoli's acting, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by it here.  I watched Grimm until it became unwatchable, but my feeling with the acting on that show is that nearly all the actors came off seeming less capable than they actually were because the writing was so shitty.  While I think the story crafting needs some work here, the writing (i.e. the dialogue) is actually very strong and I think that Giuntoli (and the other male actors) are really excelling with it.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

To me the difference between "thoughtless" and "insensitive" is this:  if I said something thoughtless and someone called me out on it, I'd be embarrassed by what I said because I hadn't considered that it was rude (and I don't want to be rude).  If I said something insensitive, I wouldn't care if it was rude or not and wouldn't feel bad if it was received that way.  Again, we know so little at this point about Katherine, but I really feel her "all-day" more likely falls in the first camp than the second.

As for Giuntoli's acting, I'm actually pleasantly surprised by it here.  I watched Grimm until it became unwatchable, but my feeling with the acting on that show is that nearly all the actors came off seeming less capable than they actually were because the writing was so shitty.  While I think the story crafting needs some work here, the writing (i.e. the dialogue) is actually very strong and I think that Giuntoli (and the other male actors) are really excelling with it.

Fair point about the difference. :)

Agree about Grimm.

• Love 2
On 10/4/2018 at 7:30 PM, Lady Calypso said:

...ok, so they never said it out loud. However, with Maggie's ex calling her oncologist by his first name and Maggie correcting it to Dr. Whatever His Last Name is, I figure there's a story there so my mind immediately went to them being super close. I am willing to admit that I could be wrong on that. 

I took it as she was she was on a first name basis with her oncologist, because he was also a colleague.  She works at a hospital.  I’m guessing the ex is also a doctor/colleague, and that’s why they all know each other so well.

On 10/5/2018 at 9:13 AM, HazelEyes4325 said:

The same applies for Boston, even though it’s filmed in Vancouver.  There are no houses/neighborhoods like that in walking distance to Boston (proper) where the office is.  Honestly, that’s a pretty fancy house even for suburbs of Boston.  MAYBE Newton, Wellesley, or Weston...but you aren’t walking to downtown from there, and the commute from those towns to downtown in the am is still a nightmare.  And I know it’s blasphomy, but I wouldn’t be drinking Dunks either. 

• Love 6

OMG another reason to hate Eddie - he had the cheesiest/ugliest/tackiest necklace left over from the 90s.

Although I don't know if I buy that Delilah called Maggie and asked her to come over after meeting her less than 24 hours ago, I love that everyone is still giving Gary shit about knowing nothing about her.

Gary's talk with Danny was the sweetest. Even though Gary jokes around constantly (as Rome pointed out), Gary has a huge heart and he's great with the kids. The way he reassured Danny that he still loves him and that his dad still would have loved him made me teary. I wish that every kid who came out got such a warm and loving response.

On 10/3/2018 at 8:19 PM, Lady Calypso said:

So, the Mystery of Maggie continues, with her running away from her past and her ex seemingly sleeping with her oncologist. There's a whole story there and I AM genuinely interested. Is she just running away from her sickness, or is it more to that? 

I didn't get the feeling that her ex was sleeping with her oncologist. All that was said about her doctor was this:

Maggie's ex: Alan said that you canceled your appointment. Why? 
Maggie: If by "Alan," you mean Dr. Matthews, he's not supposed to tell you that.

I just took it to mean that even though her ex is somehow a friend/acquaintance/family member who knows her oncologist well enough to call him by his first name does NOT allow for a HIPAA violation like the doctor telling the ex that Maggie canceled her appointment.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:49 AM, slasherboy said:

Do we know that  he spelled his name Jon and not John?  Just curious.

His name on the paperwork that Ashley was looking at listed his name as Jonathan.

On 10/4/2018 at 1:50 PM, Athena5217 said:

One big question I have is why Rome was suicidal. Not liking his job doesn’t seem like enough of a reason when he seems to have a good family life.

There isn't always an obvious or logical reason when people are depressed or suicidal. That's what can be so frustrating, even for the person who is depressed or suicidal. I know people who have been depressed/suicidal who have said things like, "I know that I have a great life so I shouldn't feel this way, but I do and I can't stop feeling this way."

On 10/4/2018 at 4:18 PM, dargosmydaddy said:

So far Gary is my favorite just because I'm enjoying Roday as an actor. (I've never watched Psych, but am now thinking maybe I should?)

Yes, you should! Psych is awesome!

• Love 6
4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Although I don't know if I buy that Delilah called Maggie and asked her to come over after meeting her less than 24 hours ago, I love that everyone is still giving Gary shit about knowing nothing about her.

I don't know that I did either, but after thinking about it a bit, I think maybe Maggie is a kind of a buffer for everything. She's new, so she isn't grieving, she doesn't know the dynamics, and if the truth comes out, she won't have the emotional baggage to judge her as harshly as the others might. Plus, she's a psychologist - so bonus insights.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AllyCat said:

The same applies for Boston, even though it’s filmed in Vancouver.  There are no houses/neighborhoods like that in walking distance to Boston (proper) where the office is.  Honestly, that’s a pretty fancy house even for suburbs of Boston.  MAYBE Newton, Wellesley, or Weston...but you aren’t walking to downtown from there, and the commute from those towns to downtown in the am is still a nightmare.  And I know it’s blasphomy, but I wouldn’t be drinking Dunks either. 

Dunkin Donuts is gross - there, I said it. It bears the slightest passing resemblance to actual coffee. Swill.

7 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

OMG another reason to hate Eddie - he had the cheesiest/ugliest/tackiest necklace left over from the 90s.

Gary's talk with Danny was the sweetest. Even though Gary jokes around constantly (as Rome pointed out), Gary has a huge heart and he's great with the kids. The way he reassured Danny that he still loves him and that his dad still would have loved him made me teary. I wish that every kid who came out got such a warm and loving response.

I didn't get the feeling that her ex was sleeping with her oncologist. All that was said about her doctor was this:

Maggie's ex: Alan said that you canceled your appointment. Why? 
Maggie: If by "Alan," you mean Dr. Matthews, he's not supposed to tell you that.

I just took it to mean that even though her ex is somehow a friend/acquaintance/family member who knows her oncologist well enough to call him by his first name does NOT allow for a HIPAA violation like the doctor telling the ex that Maggie canceled her appointment.

His name on the paperwork that Ashley was looking at listed his name as Jonathan.

There isn't always an obvious or logical reason when people are depressed or suicidal. That's what can be so frustrating, even for the person who is depressed or suicidal. I know people who have been depressed/suicidal who have said things like, "I know that I have a great life so I shouldn't feel this way, but I do and I can't stop feeling this way."

Yes, you should! Psych is awesome!

I would never have thought a simple yin-yang symbol would raise such ire!

Agree with everything else, except I haven't watched Psych but now I'm also thinking I should.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Agree with everything else, except I haven't watched Psych but now I'm also thinking I should.

If for nothing else, watch it for the friendship between Shawn and Gus!

Just now, chitowngirl said:

Yes. Yes you should!

9EB216BC-4D0F-4905-B88F-F4F514E46F38.gif

• Love 9
22 hours ago, AllyCat said:

I took it as she was she was on a first name basis with her oncologist, because he was also a colleague.  She works at a hospital.  I’m guessing the ex is also a doctor/colleague, and that’s why they all know each other so well.

That house would cost $6-8 million. There are some houses near where I live in Boston that don't have NEARLY the yard that house does, and I know they would go for $4.5 million if sold. Also, I wouldn't drink Dunkin' Donuts, either. That is brown water that masquerades as coffee. YUCK.

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, Gothish520 said:

Dunkin Donuts is gross - there, I said it. It bears the slightest passing resemblance to actual coffee. Swill.

I would never have thought a simple yin-yang symbol would raise such ire!

Everyone should give Psych a try.  Fun show, great guest stars, excellent main cast, terrific references to 80's pop culture, old movies and a bunch of other cultural touchstones.  James Roday's Shawn has excellent chemistry with everyone, but especially with Dule Hill's Gus who plays his best friend since childhood and business partner.  Hallmark Movies and Mysteries shows it daily at 4 ET.

• Love 3