Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Going to War

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Firehouse 51 bands together to fight a raging fire on the 20th floor of the residential high-rise where Jay and Will Halstead's father lives and has gone missing; in the midst of the chaos, Brett learns unsettling information about her new partner.

*This one appears to be part of a crossover episode event that starts with Chicago Med and continues in Chicago Fire along with Chicago P.D.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

I thought elevators are turned off when there's a fire. That woman was a fool to not follow instructions. Also, how was the elevator able to move with all that fire damage?

Best part was chief driving off leaving the Borsch in the middle of the street (how is he getting paid to do nothing?).

Stella mentioned to Hermann her air was low. Shouldn't he have ordered her to go and get a new tank?

I understand that there are other firehouses on the scene but is it usual that if a firefighter goes down the entire house gets to go the hospital and leave the fire?

Of course! We just can't put Gabby away yet.... we needed to know she taught Sylvie a valuable trick, we needed to see a photograph, and witness more Casey/Sylvie moping in the middle of a major fire.

Stella and Severide acting unprofessional in the workplace. Why am I not surprised.

If you're on the 23rd floor can you easily hear someone on the 20th floor through the vents?

How did that guy make it through the fire academy if he has no courage?

So Foster cheated. That piece of news/gossip should be known in every house.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mxc90 said:

Stella and Severide acting unprofessional in the workplace. Why am I not surprised.

The last thing I needed at the beginning of this was to see Severide dry humping Princess Charles and her ears in full view of anyone walking nearby.

• Love 4

I predict Baby Grissom will turn on the commish and be like a double agent for 51.

i thought sure Cruz (eta NOT Otis—d’oh) would hook up with dog lady.

once the mom and baby perished inthe elevator, I figured Stella would be okay.

yes and wtf to everyone absndoning a raging fire to sit in a hospital waiting room for several more hours.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I predict Baby Grissom will turn on the commish and be like a double agent for 51.

i thought sure Otis would hook up with dog lady.

once the mom and baby perished inthe elevator, I figured Stella would be okay.

yes and wtf to everyone absndoning a raging fire to sit in a hospital waiting room for several more hours.

I thought the same on all of the above. 

(Is it wrong of me to wish Stella hadn't made it?)

• Love 5
2 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

That wussy little Grissom spy needs his ass kicked!

Oh, yes indeed! I just hope he realized how freaking awesome Chief Boden is when he is in charge of a crisis like that. Eamonn Walker really commands those scenes. 

Poor Otis. That woman was so stupid.

Maybe Cruz and the lady with the dog will get together.

• Love 8

Writers' Room: "What are we going to do now?  How can we fill up an hour show about a busy Chicago fire station without the pointless relationship drama that was Gabby and Matt?"  "Oh, I know! Let's have a big incident where everyone actually gets to do their job."  "Naah, that'll never work.  Way too boring."  "C'mon, let's try it."

Well, we've seen the people from 51 know how to do everything technical on a fire.  Maybe they could now focus on actually putting water on the fire.  That was embarrassing.

If I had been in Mouch's position, I would have slammed my helmet on that clod's fingers until he let go of the stair rail, and then dragged him down the stairs until he got up and walked.  Ain't nobody got time for a pep talk in there. 

Sure am glad  that CFD can handle a complex, multi-story structure fire with a reduced force so that everyone from 51 can go contaminate the ER at Chicago Med while they wait for Stella.  My tv cut out.  I take it she survived? Did Severide and Hermann get into a fight over it? I take issue with Severide's anger at Hermann, though.  It's the firefighter's own responsibility to keep track of the SCBA air level.  That's what all those audible alarms are for.  They tell you when you have 2-3 minutes (under normal breathing, less when exerting) of air left.  You don't ignore the alarm just so you can keep putting water on the fire (or at least in the general direction of the fire).  You don't wait for someone to tell you to go get another bottle.  Stella would know that from training. 

I thought Severide was going to pull a Bruce Willis and shoot the window out, but no, he actually did it the right way.  And all those idiots on the ground getting pelted by falling glass.  Good work, PD.

Speaking of PD, I sure am glad there's no favoritism in CFD.  Let's all look for the cop's dad instead of anyone else that might be trapped in the building.

• Love 10

So what will Grissom's spy report that Boden did wrong?  "Leaving the scene of a fire without waiting for his spy" or will he do a complete 180 and give praise for a job well done?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 3

So early in the show someone asked Boden if they were searching the 20th floor and he said something like no, it’s engulfed (not sure why they therefore weren’t fighting the fire on that floor and looking for people, but okay), like that wasn’t physically possible (and Baby Grissom’s ears pricked up so we knew that was going to come back around). So where do we find little boy and are able to rescue him? 20th floor. Stupid.

I agree with above posts that we really need to see more firefighting than civilian-rescuing.

Stella should be suspended for ignoring her oxygen level and putting several others in harms way to rescue her. They could have been actually fighting a fire (and saving other people) instead of dragging her ass out.

Would that stupid Gabby note to Brett be the last we hear about her. And what, Gabby couldn’t directly tell her but has to pass a note to Matt to carry around until he remembers to give it to Brett? Go away, Gabby.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 6

Look, I'm just here for the action scenes and I got them. I'm good.

(We probably won't get another episode like this since I have a feeling they blew the entire special effects budget. Oh well.)

• Love 11

This could have been a really good action episode but I knew it was a crossover, so I could barely pay attention to it. I had no intention of watching the other two shows. 

I missed commenting on last week's show, but the guy playing Jerry (the little toadie working for the commissioner) played a hilarious character on Trial & Error so I cannot take him seriously at all! I just want to laugh every time I see him and I keep thinking of all the ridiculous things he said and did on T&E. 

I also seriously missed the news that Gabby was leaving the show. Can I just say hallelujah? Yeah, they keep bringing her up like some martyred saint but they'll get past that. I'm just glad she's gone. I for one do not see her as the heroic one. She always had a bad case of ADD if you ask me - first she wanted to be a doctor, then a firefighter, then a mom, then she wanted to run off to Puerto Rico. She had bad impulse control.

• Love 5

I liked this episode. Stella was stupid in not making sure Herrmann heard her but I would think the oxygen tank would have made a noise. 

I did think the lady with the dog would see Otis again. 

The lady and the baby, I wonder if she died when she went up and couldn't get out but they should have been kept an eye on her the way she was acting. I feel bad for Otis and I think this will affect him. 

Why does it seem like a shortage of firefighters when something is going on? 

I bet Ritter won't last after this episode but I liked what Mouch said. 

I bet Grogan or what's his face will write up Boden for leaving him and for what Kelly did. 

Taking out Stella's lung? Really? I bet she will be back to the house next week and I didn't see the previews for it so anyone know? 

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Quark said:

So this is the first episode of the series with no Gabby.

Finally!

We haven't heard the last of her according to Derek Haas though...he said it would be mid season when we see how Dawsey plays out. l just don't want characters pining and mooning over her leaving though! Ugh! And why could she just not contact Brett herself off screen so we didnt have to suffer seeing that note she gave to Casey to pass to Brett? That was just a blatant attempt by the writers to keep Dawson's influence going! 

• Love 2

Well.... look at that a Chicago Fire episode about...wait for it...A FIRE. Now that what this show is about.

Although they couldn't help themselves and had to shove some WTF moments in. I am starting to get why someone is always out to shut 51 down they border on incompetent most days.

I mean they are under investigation and we get Severide and Stella dry humping in the doorway for all to see, then Stella is so desperate for Severide's moves she ignores the whole needing oxygen to live thingy and decides to put herself and her colleagues at risk just to make sure Severide's wang doesn't get burnt. 

Brett is so miserable because St Gabby didn't personally absolve her from her sins before she left she needed to discuss it in the middle of highrise building fire. Let's hope it's the last we hear of her...stick a fork in it, it's done.

They all up and leave an active fire because why exactly? I get a couple of them jumping in the back of the Ambo and going with, but did we need the whole kit and kaboodle to take off. Although it did give us the Boden leaving his idiot behind so there is that.

I really do hope they follow through on Otis's storyline, I think that was really well done and could be an interesting arc for him.

On a final note.......perhaps they should have put all the trapped victims in Papa Halstead's apartment. It seemed to be fireproof.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, preeya said:

So what will Grissom's spy report that Boden did wrong?  "Leaving the scene of a fire without waiting for his spy" or will he do a complete 180 and give praise for a job well done?

His main complaint will be he didn't have enough bus fare to get home.

I feel he will do a 180, lose his job/ get demoted, and the house is saved from the wrath of Grissom once again. If he gives Grissom any dirt, there is nothing Boden can do to the commissioner to save his "family". 

15 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Sure am glad  that CFD can handle a complex, multi-story structure fire with a reduced force so that everyone from 51 can go contaminate the ER at Chicago Med while they wait for Stella. 

After seeing that I wanted to call Grissom to file a complaint against Boden and the other chief.

I loved when Boden declared "We are going to war" and then bails at the first casualty.

19 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

i thought sure Cruz (eta NOT Otis—d’oh) would hook up with dog lady.

They will get together but for how long. The writers love messing with Casey's, Cruz's, Otis' and Severide's opportunities to hold on to a relationship. I'm not sure which one had it worse through the seasons. 

Also, I wonder if Brett and Casey will get together. Then Gabby will make a mid season return to this surprise.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, Waterston Fan said:

Taking out Stella's lung? Really? I bet she will be back to the house next week and I didn't see the previews for it so anyone know? 

I watched Chicago Med and they apparently just removed a portion of her lung, and the surgery wasn't invasive so she should be back at work in no time! according to the doctor. 

Edited by jewel21
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, jewel21 said:

I watched Chicago Med and they apparently just removed a portion of her lung, and the surgery wasn't evasive so she should be back at work in no time! according to the doctor. 

Because removing part of a vital organ is never invasive...(insert eyeroll)

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Just in case anyone's concerned about the behavior and competence of the 51 crowd, Station 19 made it's return to tv tonight.  And yes, they did bring the crazy.

Yeah, and they killed off the only character on that episode I actually gave a damn about. And ever notice how on that show, all their turnouts are pristine? I like that about Chicago Fire, their gear has seen some action and the actors at least look comfortable in it. But unlike 9-1-1, at least Station 19 has working man-down alarms. 

Kudos to the team from E37. At least they're capable of applying wet stuff to red stuff (albeit quite ineffectively). Please teach E51 how to do the same.

In my part of the world, if one of your members goes down, the whole company follows as soon as possible, so I don't fault that plot point at all. If you know one of your own went down you probably wouldn't be much good on the fireground anyways. 

Nice episode for Boden. He handled the fireground pretty well, and acted like a BC, not just in charge of his own house. But in a job that big he wouldn't be in charge of the whole firefighting operation, just a small portion of it. In show-world, Grissom's toadie or even Grissom himself would have overall scene command since they're senior officers. Wondering if the actor who played the Battalion 4 chief was a real-world chief with an SAG card. He looked like he belonged there. If not, kudos to the casting department. 

I'll handwave the heating vent crap. In a multiple story dwelling it's not possible--no forced air residential furnace ducts to begin with, solid concrete floors, and the noises around a fire, plus turnout gear, the FFs would never hear it anyways. But for drama's sake it was OK. I liked the save, and it set up Stella's story line. Her, Mouch, and Hermann are the three FFs I actually give a crap about and I figured that would be it for Stella tonight since she and Severide were happy. That would set up soon-to-be single Casey later on and a recovering-from-grief-yet-again Severide manwhoring together by the mid-season break. Glad I was wrong. I like Kidd a lot. Always have.

The crossover with Med made a lot of sense and it worked well for me. PD was the weak link tonight. In my opinion, they should use crossover events like this to reset the baseline on all three shows. If you've got a cast shakeup, do it there for the most impact. When I heard about the crossover earlier this summer, I figured this was where Raymund would make her exit; Gabby would meet her fate in the fire and be the reason All Of Chicago would stop and wail uncontrollably.

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

Just in case anyone's concerned about the behavior and competence of the 51 crowd, Station 19 made it's return to tv tonight.  And yes, they did bring the crazy.

l find it's the behaviour and competence of the writers and show runner of Chicago Fire that are in question because they are solely responsible for all the incompetence and idiocy that happens on screen!

1 hour ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Yeah, and they killed off the only character on that episode I actually gave a damn about. And ever notice how on that show, all their turnouts are pristine? I like that about Chicago Fire, their gear has seen some action and the actors at least look comfortable in it. But unlike 9-1-1, at least Station 19 has working man-down alarms. 

Kudos to the team from E37. At least they're capable of applying wet stuff to red stuff (albeit quite ineffectively). Please teach E51 how to do the same.

In my part of the world, if one of your members goes down, the whole company follows as soon as possible, so I don't fault that plot point at all. If you know one of your own went down you probably wouldn't be much good on the fireground anyways. 

Nice episode for Boden. He handled the fireground pretty well, and acted like a BC, not just in charge of his own house. But in a job that big he wouldn't be in charge of the whole firefighting operation, just a small portion of it. In show-world, Grissom's toadie or even Grissom himself would have overall scene command since they're senior officers. Wondering if the actor who played the Battalion 4 chief was a real-world chief with an SAG card. He looked like he belonged there. If not, kudos to the casting department. 

I'll handwave the heating vent crap. In a multiple story dwelling it's not possible--no forced air residential furnace ducts to begin with, solid concrete floors, and the noises around a fire, plus turnout gear, the FFs would never hear it anyways. But for drama's sake it was OK. I liked the save, and it set up Stella's story line. Her, Mouch, and Hermann are the three FFs I actually give a crap about and I figured that would be it for Stella tonight since she and Severide were happy. That would set up soon-to-be single Casey later on and a recovering-from-grief-yet-again Severide manwhoring together by the mid-season break. Glad I was wrong. I like Kidd a lot. Always have.

The crossover with Med made a lot of sense and it worked well for me. PD was the weak link tonight. In my opinion, they should use crossover events like this to reset the baseline on all three shows. If you've got a cast shakeup, do it there for the most impact. When I heard about the crossover earlier this summer, I figured this was where Raymund would make her exit; Gabby would meet her fate in the fire and be the reason All Of Chicago would stop and wail uncontrollably.

His name is Steve Chikerous sp?. He is a veteran Chicago FD officer. He started as a technical advisor on the show and occasionally a cast member. I agree, they did good. 

Edited by Reality police
Stupidly tried to insert image. No luck today.
  • Love 5

We haven't heard the last of her according to Derek Haas though...he said it would be mid season when we see how Dawsey plays out. l just don't want characters pining and mooning over her leaving though! Ugh! And why could she just not contact Brett herself off screen so we didnt have to suffer seeing that note she gave to Casey to pass to Brett? That was just a blatant attempt by the writers to keep Dawson's influence going! 

Well, there has always been a small but vocal minority that believes Casey and Dawson were somehow the main draw for this show, probably because of Twitter. So I'm sure the writers are wringing their hands over the loss of Monica Raymund and trying to squeeze every last drop out of "Dawsey" they possibly can in fear of losing all their "fans." But my point is we no longer have to suffer through endless "heroic, perfect, always right" Dawson scenes where she's sticking her nose where it doesn't belong and getting praised for it. They can talk about her all they want so long as I don't have to see her or waste time on scenes with her.

Although they couldn't help themselves and had to shove some WTF moments in. I am starting to get why someone is always out to shut 51 down they border on incompetent most days.

It's a wonder the real Chicago Fire Department doesn't sue this show for defamation, the way upper management is always portrayed as corrupt bullies with a never-ending grudge against either Boden, Station 51, or both. 

• Love 2

It's too bad the only way we see fires on a show about firefighters is when they're part of a big crossover event.  That said I enjoyed it, up until Stella being an idiot and not telling anyone her alarm went off - I also liked how the civilians they're rescuing can breathe in smoke for a long time and apparently be just fine when they get outside but Stella's alarm goes off and 10 seconds later she's passing out.  The CFD should really consider having some policy that people living and sleeping together shouldn't be allowed on the same shift at the same house.  I guess it's okay now since "Dawsey" did it first. 

I didn't mind them leaving the scene when they went after Stella, but they could have pretended they had the fire contained and didn't really need station 51 anymore, especially since they were first on the scene.

Why didn't Severide open a window when he went to get the kid?  Could've gotten the kid at least a little fresh air.

On 10/4/2018 at 8:43 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

So early in the show someone asked Boden if they were searching the 20th floor and he said something like no, it’s engulfed (not sure why they therefore weren’t fighting the fire on that floor and looking for people, but okay), like that wasn’t physically possible (and Baby Grissom’s ears pricked up so we knew that was going to come back around). So where do we find little boy and are able to rescue him? 20th floor. Stupid.

I think what happened was when they first got to 20 they couldn't get in because it was fully engulfed - that was when the rookie got a fireball to the face- but the not main character engine people who came with the rookie were fighting the fire on the 20th while the main characters went an searched for people on the upper floors that weren't engulfed yet, so by the time they heard the kid the fire had been put down just enough to make a path to the kid.  I'm not a firefighter, so I don't know how realistic it is that there would be just 2 people on a hose of that one floor - wouldn't they also want to send hoses to the other upper floors, especially after Casey called in how the fire was traveling up the mechanical system?

I think what I would really love to see is a full fire from start to finish where our main characters don't get pulled away in the middle because someone got hurt.  For that matter, has 51 ever not been first on the scene so Boden has to be in charge?  I know it's budget limitations so they can't actually show all the companies and the full assortment of firefighters that would be at something like this, but I think the worst thing for CFD's image isn't the corrupt evil bureaucracy plotting to overthrow 51, it's that apparently you have a major fire in a high rise apartment building and the only firefighters there are 2 chiefs, about 10 people to do search and rescue, 4 paramedics, 2 guys on hose duty and 1 rookie to remind the audience being a firefighter is actually hard and scary.

I was kind of surprised they were actually allowed to show the mom and kid in the elevator.  One of the most horrific things I've seen on tv.

Edited by athelyna
  • Love 4
On 05/10/2018 at 4:57 PM, Reality police said:

His name is Steve Chikerous sp?. He is a veteran Chicago FD officer. He started as a technical advisor on the show and occasionally a cast member. I agree, they did good. 

He is Steve Chikerotis...a real life CFD guy and he is tech adviser on the show with a small role now and again

• Love 2
21 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Well, there has always been a small but vocal minority that believes Casey and Dawson were somehow the main draw for this show, probably because of Twitter. So I'm sure the writers are wringing their hands over the loss of Monica Raymund and trying to squeeze every last drop out of "Dawsey" they possibly can in fear of losing all their "fans." But my point is we no longer have to suffer through endless "heroic, perfect, always right" Dawson scenes where she's sticking her nose where it doesn't belong and getting praised for it. They can talk about her all they want so long as I don't have to see her or waste time on scenes with her.

Twitter is where Derek Haas and his little crowd of dawsey 'fans' hang out and he seems to love them so much. Far more people on various social media platforms couldn't STAND Dawson as she was written to be so horrible. Ignorant, selfish and manipulative. And she treated Casey like SHIT! The last scene of the season premier was cringe-making ---poor Casey having to spout that crap to her as if he was so lucky to have walked alongside her on her glorious journey to sainthood. It was painful to witness and we are so glad she is gone! No longer a screen hog and Casey is no longer her doormat! Hooray! Now the writers might have to do some work to actually think up some plots that involve fires, rescues and the like instead of palming the viewers off with Dawson's crappy story lines. And if tptb want to check how disliked Dawson was as a character then they only need to look outside twitter! Now at least Casey can get his balls back and be the great character he used to be pre-Dawson! The show would be better if she was never mentioned, seen or heard from again but that is likely too much to hope for!

Edited by belletane
words were scrambled by laptop!
7 hours ago, athelyna said:

Why didn't Severide open a window when he went to get the kid?  Could've gotten the kid at least a little fresh air.I think

I'm not a firefighter, but I think that it's not always safe to get fresh air--since that can give the fire fresh air too, and fire feeds on oxygen as much as on flammable materials.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I'm not a firefighter, but I think that it's not always safe to get fresh air--since that can give the fire fresh air too, and fire feeds on oxygen as much as on flammable materials.

You beat me to it. Opening any window or door to a fire building can feed oxygen to a fire, often with catastrophic results such as a backdraft. Which is why I scream at my TV when some moron cop or other "hero" breaks down a door to go into a building to save someone before FD arrives. 9 times out of 10 it would makes things exponentially worse. You turn a smoldering, smoky wannabe-fire into an inferno in just a couple of seconds when it takes a breath. 

22 hours ago, athelyna said:

I think what I would really love to see is a full fire from start to finish where our main characters don't get pulled away in the middle because someone got hurt.  For that matter, has 51 ever not been first on the scene so Boden has to be in charge? 

What's not explained clearly for TV is that Boden's job is a Battalion Chief, not necessarily the "boss of 51." A battalion chief is in charge of several firehouses. He'd roll on calls for the other houses in his jurisdiction, and would be the main incident command at smaller jobs, even those where E51, L81, or R3 wasn't involved. Boden, if this was real-life, would be out of the station a lot more than he is now. Also, in most large departments, the BC has a dedicated driver; he doesn't drive himself. This is so he can be coordinating operations with other responding apparatus while enroute to the scene.

With only a very few exceptions, a "full fire start-to-finish" would be a boring thing to watch, unless you're one of the guys on the nozzle or a truckee opening up the roof. Once the main body of fire has been knocked down, it's all about overhauling and putting out hotspots. For a spectator (or member of a TV audience), it's dull as dishwater after the first ten minutes, so I get that they have to have something go sideways in a modern network-TV show. What bugs me is that they usually make up bullshit that couldn't happen, rather than do something that's actually plausible. Like some dipshit opening up a door at the wrong time (see above), or a rescue team going in without a charged hose line with them.

I know it's budget limitations so they can't actually show all the companies and the full assortment of firefighters that would be at something like this, but I think the worst thing for CFD's image isn't the corrupt evil bureaucracy plotting to overthrow 51, it's that apparently you have a major fire in a high rise apartment building and the only firefighters there are 2 chiefs, about 10 people to do search and rescue, 4 paramedics, 2 guys on hose duty and 1 rookie to remind the audience being a firefighter is actually hard and scary.

This is my biggest complaint about TV-fires, and you're right, the budget for that would be enormous. For a high-rise fire like they showed, figure 5 or 6 alarms, minimum. Each alarm level is typically 3 or 4 engines, 2 truck companies (each with four or five firefighters), a chief, and certain pieces of specialty apparatus at each alarm level. As well as all sorts of senior officers, dozens of cop cars, at least a half-dozen ambulances and their supervisors and so on. So just in terms of warm bodies in turnout gear (i.e. costumes for TV) that's about 30 extras, plus 6 pieces of rented firefighting apparatus per alarm level, so times 5. Maybe for a feature film, but not for a 42 minute weekly TV show. What they could do is have radio traffic in the background supporting a five alarm fire, and strategic shots of apparatus on the move--easy enough to do with B-roll footage shot during the summer, with magnetic signs for different companies on their doors.

For those who want to see what a real working fire is like, there are tons of YouTube videos out there. My own personal favorites are from Newark, OH, where a chief has put up some great videos (with radio audio in the background) of the whole job, from arrival to under-control. He's an excellent incident commander and his FFs are consummate professionals who all know their jobs. No drama! 

• Love 6

With only a very few exceptions, a "full fire start-to-finish" would be a boring thing to watch, unless you're one of the guys on the nozzle or a truckee opening up the roof. Once the main body of fire has been knocked down, it's all about overhauling and putting out hotspots. For a spectator (or member of a TV audience), it's dull as dishwater after the first ten minutes, so I get that they have to have something go sideways in a modern network-TV show. What bugs me is that they usually make up bullshit that couldn't happen, rather than do something that's actually plausible. Like some dipshit opening up a door at the wrong time (see above), or a rescue team going in without a charged hose line with them.

I guess I meant to say is I would like to see them actually get the main fire knocked out before leaving.  I think it's what people were finding odd or possibly wrong about the entire firehouse (minus the evil spy) leaving to follow Stella to the hospital - they didn't even pay lip service to the idea the main fire had been knocked out.  The last we saw the 20th floor was still almost fully engulfed.  And yes, if they want drama and people getting hurt don't have the characters acting like idiots to do it.  I mean, the rookie at the start opening the door and getting fire to the face seems plausible - he's a rookie at his first major fire, but when our supposedly experience heroes do it it's just dumb.

I think they do try a little bit to have radio chatter, we sometimes hear Boden call out other numbers, and there were some additional vehicles at the scene, but it still feels a little silly when we only actually see two people using a hose.  But that's been a pretty consistent complaint about the show, that they focus more on search and rescue than putting actually putting water on the fire.

What's not explained clearly for TV is that Boden's job is a Battalion Chief, not necessarily the "boss of 51." A battalion chief is in charge of several firehouses. He'd roll on calls for the other houses in his jurisdiction, and would be the main incident command at smaller jobs, even those where E51, L81, or R3 wasn't involved. Boden, if this was real-life, would be out of the station a lot more than he is now. Also, in most large departments, the BC has a dedicated driver; he doesn't drive himself. This is so he can be coordinating operations with other responding apparatus while enroute to the scene.

I think this has also been a problem for them.  They write like Boden is just in charge of 51, hence the constant threats from up above to take him away from 51 or break up his team.  Sometimes they have additional chiefs come into a fire and make it sound like Boden was just standing in until someone else arrives, but I'm pretty sure the writers aren't actually clear on what exactly Boden's job is.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, athelyna said:

I guess I meant to say is I would like to see them actually get the main fire knocked out before leaving.  I think it's what people were finding odd or possibly wrong about the entire firehouse (minus the evil spy) leaving to follow Stella to the hospital - they didn't even pay lip service to the idea the main fire had been knocked out.

Naw, I'm fine with a company being relieved like that. In the real world they'd just replace 81 with another crew upstairs, and call for another truck to respond for manpower. In major incidents one of the main functions of additional alarms is to relieve the first-due crews who are probably worn out. That's hard physical labor under extreme conditions, plus the possibility of losing a member of your own house like that, I'm perfectly fine with 81 tapping out and going to Med.

The whole thing with Stella's mask bugs me, though. Yes, absolutely, going in without a working mask and SCBA is unconscionable today, but we lived through a long period where firefighters were called smokeaters for a reason. If her air ran out she shouldn't have dropped like a rock. Mask off and GTFO ASAP. Might have earned a well-deserved rip from the bosses (and still should).

Edited by NJRadioGuy
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Naw, I'm fine with a company being relieved like that. In the real world they'd just replace 81 with another crew upstairs, and call for another truck to respond for manpower. In major incidents one of the main functions of additional alarms is to relieve the first-due crews who are probably worn out. That's hard physical labor under extreme conditions, plus the possibility of losing a member of your own house like that, I'm perfectly fine with 81 tapping out and going to Med.

The whole thing with Stella's mask bugs me, though. Yes, absolutely, going in without a working mask and SCBA is unconscionable today, but we lived through a long period where firefighters were called smokeaters for a reason. If her air ran out she shouldn't have dropped like a rock. Mask off and GTFO ASAP. Might have earned a well-deserved rip from the bosses (and still should).

I hope someone can answer, when you are low on air, isn't there a beeping noise? 

• Love 1

Some brands of masks also have a head up display inside that has a flashing red light in full view, in case you can't hear that alarm for whatever reason.  There was no reason, other than plotline, for Stella to go down like that.  Also, when the air does deplete, you actually can't draw a breath inside the mask; the air seal is that tight.  Unless, of course, you're a handsome leading man and always sport a three day growth of beard on your face, but that's another subject entirely.  When you can't breathe like that, it's automatic that you somehow break the seal so you can get some outside air.  You can't avoid it.  You don't just pass out.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2018 at 8:10 PM, mxc90 said:

His main complaint will be he didn't have enough bus fare to get home.

I feel he will do a 180, lose his job/ get demoted, and the house is saved from the wrath of Grissom once again. If he gives Grissom any dirt, there is nothing Boden can do to the commissioner to save his "family". 

After seeing that I wanted to call Grissom to file a complaint against Boden and the other chief.

I loved when Boden declared "We are going to war" and then bails at the first casualty.

They will get together but for how long. The writers love messing with Casey's, Cruz's, Otis' and Severide's opportunities to hold on to a relationship. I'm not sure which one had it worse through the seasons. 

Also, I wonder if Brett and Casey will get together. Then Gabby will make a mid season return to this surprise.

Hahaha I was thinking that. Brett and Casey hook up later this season for Saint Gabby to come back horrified to see her bestie and her man in each other's arms. I won't be Surpised if it happens. Casey is first in the Credits and Brett is now the lead female and them hooking up Is Drama.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, jay741982 said:

Hahaha I was thinking that. Brett and Casey hook up later this season for Saint Gabby to come back horrified to see her bestie and her man in each other's arms. I won't be Surpised if it happens. Casey is first in the Credits and Brett is now the lead female and them hooking up Is Drama.

Let's start praying this doesnt happen then! Bleugh! Love Casey to bits but he and Brett don't go together at all and we don't want to ever see or hear from Dawson ever again! Lol.

• Love 1

I just got caught up.  Yeah, I get that the actress is off the show or will soon be off the show.  But couldn't they have come up with a better storyline than Gaby goes to Puerto Rico and Casey is a Chicago guy?  How does a married couple just make that decision and give each other a hug and that's it?  So unrealistic.  It would have been better off to kill off the character, or infidelity and divorce, etc.  You can't just end a marriage in one episode and then expect everyone to believe it.  Maybe they are leaving the door open for a return?  Gosh I hope not.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, greyhorse said:

I just got caught up.  Yeah, I get that the actress is off the show or will soon be off the show.  But couldn't they have come up with a better storyline than Gaby goes to Puerto Rico and Casey is a Chicago guy?  How does a married couple just make that decision and give each other a hug and that's it?  So unrealistic.  It would have been better off to kill off the character, or infidelity and divorce, etc.  You can't just end a marriage in one episode and then expect everyone to believe it.  Maybe they are leaving the door open for a return?  Gosh I hope not.

Yeah we're all praying for no return of St Gabby! That's gonna lose the show viewers big style! The ending was very poor. Casey having to cow tow to St Gabby once again! Sad that the writers didnt come up with anything better, like killing St Gabby off in PR thereby leaving Casey free and viewers heaving a collective sigh of relief that St Gabby can never return! Casey was well aware that his marriage is well and truly over but she needs to disappear for good.

Edited by belletane
On 07/10/2018 at 11:32 AM, NJRadioGuy said:

This is my biggest complaint about TV-fires, and you're right, the budget for that would be enormous. For a high-rise fire like they showed, figure 5 or 6 alarms, minimum. Each alarm level is typically 3 or 4 engines, 2 truck companies (each with four or five firefighters), a chief, and certain pieces of specialty apparatus at each alarm level. As well as all sorts of senior officers, dozens of cop cars, at least a half-dozen ambulances and their supervisors and so on. So just in terms of warm bodies in turnout gear (i.e. costumes for TV) that's about 30 extras, plus 6 pieces of rented firefighting apparatus per alarm level, so times 5. Maybe for a feature film, but not for a 42 minute weekly TV show. What they could do is have radio traffic in the background supporting a five alarm fire, and strategic shots of apparatus on the move--easy enough to do with B-roll footage shot during the summer, with magnetic signs for different companies on their doors.

I imagine it is also a continuity issue. These scenes are set up and shot from multiple angles. So if something is filmed being sprayed with water and soaked from one angle you can't really wait around for the set to dry out before you can shoot from a different angle. At least not on a tv show schedule.

Also good to see that once again that anyone who works in Chicago outside of 51 is incompetent, since the building owners made changes to the building fire separations but building inspectors never caught it (or it was done as super shady construction).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Also good to see that once again that anyone who works in Chicago outside of 51 is incompetent, since the building owners made changes to the building fire separations but building inspectors never caught it (or it was done as super shady construction).

That's sadly a fact of life in big cities. Contractors cut corners. Owners do their own gas plumbing with disastrous results. Building and occasionally fire inspectors are on the take. It's sickening, but it happens more often than you'd want to imagine. When I moved to NYC in 2000 the big story going around at the time was that building inspections were being handed off to the FD, because FDNY inspectors were considered less corrupt than building inspectors.

All it takes is a know-nothing networking company using non-plenum-rated cables between floors and you've got a big fire hazard. Those cables can burn and fire could travel between floors. Fire could easily travel up to the wiring closet on the floor above, and if that's where the lackadaisical painters or renovation crew stored combustible materials, well....have a nice day. Now that said, in a modern high-rise in the U.S. the chances of a fire spreading like that are unlikely, but it could happen in an older building without sprinklers. For an extreme example, look at Grenfell Towers in London last year. No sprinklers, only one single stairwell that acted like a chimney, highly-combustible exterior cladding and presto. 90-plus deceased victims.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, NJRadioGuy said:

Now that said, in a modern high-rise in the U.S. the chances of a fire spreading like that are unlikely, but it could happen in an older building without sprinklers.

See The Station in Rhode Island back in 2003, where fire marshals looked the other way as capacity was raised and lowered unofficially without incident, among other infarctions. And since that building was built in the 1940s, first as a restaurant, the grandfather law kicked in and that place, too, was not required to have sprinklers.

And because it was wood with the egg crate soundproofing, that disaster was just waiting to happen, which it did. And it is why the fire burned so quickly. If one was not out in about a minute, their fate was basically sealed.

But as was said, it is like this all over with old buildings. IMO, such grandfather laws should be made obsolete, no matter what age a building is. They should be up to code and fire resistant/fireproof with all the necessities.

• Love 2
On 10/6/2018 at 12:01 PM, athelyna said:

I was kind of surprised they were actually allowed to show the mom and kid in the elevator.  One of the most horrific things I've seen on tv.

I stopped watching Fire regularly last season but I did see this episode because I still continue to watch Med and the story was going to start with the former. When I realized what the forms in the elevator were it made me think of stuff that is excavated from sites like Pompeii. I didn't really catch how the fire got into the elevator with the mother and child inside and this is nitpicky but I wondered how the elevator could be that burned out and still be functioning.

• Love 1

Couldn't agree more. But it would be political suicide to pass such laws. Property owners (i.e. those with million- and billion-dollar real estate portfolios) wouldn't stand for it, especially given how generally safe even older buildings are. Mass casualty fires are thankfully extraordinarily rare in this country. Working fire alarms, working smoke and CO detectors, panic hardware on doors, multiple paths of egress that are kept clear of debris and things like that help make even serious fires escapable.

The real killer is that fixtures and furnishings today are made from materials that produce toxic and highly-combustible gasses when they do go up. Take two houses: one built in the 50s and furnished with ancient stuffed/upholstered furniture and a non-sprinklered home built today with modern furniture. Light both up identically (say a wastebasket with a dropped cigarette or a shorted-out lamp beside the curtains). The old house will take about 10-20 minutes to go from ignition to unsurvivability. Same room in a modern house will be 3 or 4 minutes until it flashes over—i.e. when the combustible gasses ignite and the room becomes a wall of flame.

And yes, I bet there were all sorts of infarctions that night (yes, I went there).

On 10/6/2018 at 12:01 PM, athelyna said:

I was too. Sadly, that was pretty realistic. Props to the props department, so to speak. Glad they didn't linger on the shot for more than a brief couple of seconds. That's the stuff PTSD is made of.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2018 at 4:32 AM, watcher1006 said:

I stopped watching Fire regularly last season but I did see this episode because I still continue to watch Med and the story was going to start with the former. When I realized what the forms in the elevator were it made me think of stuff that is excavated from sites like Pompeii. I didn't really catch how the fire got into the elevator with the mother and child inside and this is nitpicky but I wondered how the elevator could be that burned out and still be functioning.

I think that Otis said the elevator car had gone up instead of down and opened on the fire floor. 

It’s something to do with the heat short circuiting the electronics and calling the car to the wrong floor which is why you don’t use elevators in a fire situation. 

The only bit of this episode that really got me was Otis face when he found the woman and son in elevator.

Was the fire over or did the entire firehouse (truck and squad) all leave the scene of a vicious fire because one fireman was down..

Brett and Casey’s morbid talk about Gabby was draining as always. You’d think she’d died and not essentially abandoned them both. That note she left Sylvie was hilariously - didn’t text or call - just sent a quick one liner which I’ve no doubt Sylvie probably had framed.

• Love 1