Type keyword(s) to search

S05 E01 Steal From the Thief

Empress1
  • Start Topic

The Season 5 premiere: Cookie and Lucious are still in the midst of picking up the pieces two years after losing Empire to Eddie Barker. The family is now completely dispersed and coping in their own ways after experiencing unimaginable tragedies. Meanwhile, in an effort to reclaim the Lyons' position in the music industry, Cookie sets her eyes on a talented new singer and rapper.

OMG, who died? I hope it someone peripheral like the new artist or maybe even Thirsty although I love him.

It is difficult for me to believe that Lucious and Cookie are this broke, but alright. They better pay Juanita who at least didn't have to wear her maid uniform any more.

I don't know what Jamal is thinking staying in London when his family is falling apart.

I had a good laugh when Eddie's wife dumped his ashes in the street drain.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

RIP Eddie and your Steve Harvey suits.

Lucious is down a leg, Hakeem is down part of his lung, and Cookie is down of all her furs.   What a sad state of affairs.

I am curious about the 6 months jump ahead at the end.  Empire normally does a split season, going from now to November sweeps and then end of March to end of May sweeps.  I'm wondering if they are doing the same, now that we are going to be entering the "New Fox" era by this time next year.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

RIP Eddie and your Steve Harvey suits.

Lucious is down a leg, Hakeem is down part of his lung, and Cookie is down of all her furs.   What a sad state of affairs.

I am curious about the 6 months jump ahead at the end.  Empire normally does a split season, going from now to November sweeps and then end of March to end of May sweeps.  I'm wondering if they are doing the same, now that we are going to be entering the "New Fox" era by this time next year.

So does the six months jump at the end mean we're 2.5 years out from last season? In the "six months earlier" time frame, Cookie and Lucious have been remarried for two years, Hakeem's second kid looks to be around 1 and his first is 3-4. How long has Andre been in prison? If his sentence was two years, he's probably getting out soon, right? Or was he sentenced in the six months earlier time so he has a year and a half to do?

31 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

OMG, who died? I hope it someone peripheral like the new artist or maybe even Thirsty although I love him.

It is difficult for me to believe that Lucious and Cookie are this broke, but alright. They better pay Juanita who at least didn't have to wear her maid uniform any more.

I don't know what Jamal is thinking staying in London when his family is falling apart.

I had a good laugh when Eddie's wife dumped his ashes in the street drain.

I don't understand why they didn't downsize immediately. That house is ridiculous for two people anyway.

They finally got Becky some decent hair! The natural look she was rocking looked great.

• Love 4

Oh God, a flash-forward to a casket with an unknown dead person in it? This is Arrow all over again! For fucks sake! I hope its some random person, and not one of the boys or Cookie!

I like the new singer, she has a good voice, even though we dont know much about her personality. When her "manager" referred to her as one of "his girls" I wondered if he was actually her pimp? Also, did Lucious straight up murder that guy? God dang, try to keep the bodies to a minimum guys, you cant afford to bribe people anymore!

Hakeem is going through some shit, hopefully it wont go on too long. Pulling a gun on a random guy with Jamal? Dang! Why would Jamal think that running off to Europe when his family was falling apart was a good idea?! He knows how his family is, they need him. His boyfriend seems cute, interested in seeing how that will go. 

Do Lucious and Cookie really have no money saved? You would think they would have stored something away for a rainy day. Hopefully they are at least paying Juanita! Are they still paying Thirsty? They need his sketchy self!

I expected Eddie to get killed, but not like that! His wife tossed his ashes by the side of the road! Oh, thats the Empire I know and love! I mean, damn, even first season Cookie probably would have dumped Luciouses ashes somewhere decent if he actually died. 

• Love 5

First, I'm glad they finally got rid of Eddie. He overstayed his welcome, IMO.

Apparently the Lyon kids were better at managing their money than their parents were.

Seems to me that Treasure is kind of in the same range as Tiana. The main difference is that Tiana is still with Empire and she already has an established music career.

Wonder who ends up dead? I'm guessing it's not one of the Lyons but the season teaser made it seem like it's Cookie. Unless this is going to be the final season I don't see them killing off Cookie.

• Love 2

The season premiere was really good. I am so glad that Eddie is gone, his stay was long past over. I wonder what Giselle is going to do at Empire going forward. The boys are definitely going through it, but I do wonder how much time Andre still has to do in prison? And Hakeem will hopefully heal from everything that's happened to him. The kids are adorable. 

Tiana seems to be doing well, and now that they have the new baby, we will see her in mommy mode. Treasure is going to be an interesting character, and like someone said, she has the same range as Tiana, but Tiana has been at Empire, and Cookie and Lucious are taking on Treasure. It will be interesting going forward, but I am curious about who may have died, now, at the end. And I wonder who Diana was talking about burying one of their own? This premiere was great, and I look forward to next week.

• Love 1

At the awards show, Cookie and Lucious told Eddie to get up there on stage and announce his resignation from/surrender of Empire. Didn't he do that, hence, his drunken paper shredding in his office afterwards, and him actually telling his wife he'd lost Empire? If that is what happened...then why, even though he's now dead, do Cookie and Lucious not have Empire back? Their plan worked - they found out about Eddie's nefarious financial dealings, used that knowledge to threaten Eddie, and Eddie apparently got up on that stage with them and relinquished his position. What am I missing? 

Jamal looks SOOOO much better with his new hair cut. I like his new boyfriend as well. Jamal seems strong and centered now, good for him!

Hakeem better get back on track. We already went through this with Jamal, after his (Jamal's) trauma, so it's old territory.

I'm a little dismayed with Becky. I get that she had to do what was best for herself and her own career but still. I wonder if she will want to align herself again with Cookie and Lucious. 

Edited by Biggie B
  • Love 1

I'll sit in my lonely corner and lament the hilarious death of Eddie Barker....him drunkenly schlabumping into the chair had me cracking the hell up!  Meanwhile, fuckin' Tiana gets to live and darken my goddamned screen for another season?  Heiffa's got some serious donkey pictures 'cause she's lonnnnnnnnnnnnng overplayed and should have been killed.

What in the pinched face did you do, Nicole Ari Parker?  She looks horrible and a tad hefty.  Loved Giselle pouring Eddie's ashes down the street grate, I initially thought she was going to toss the urn into the street. 

I was surprised that Becky was with Empire without the Lyons and wonder if she'll get the boot once they rise from the ashes.

The social worker singer looks so familiar; I liked her song, also like the song Tiana and Hakeem sang (well, Hakeen lip-synched).

Jamal's boyfriend was straight up a-yummity.....glad to see Jamal happy for once.

It wouldn't surprise me if Andre was in that coffin; I love Trai and all but IMO Jamal and Hakeem have more meat than he does.  

4 minutes ago, Vixenstud said:

I'll sit in my lonely corner and lament the hilarious death of Eddie Barker....him drunkenly schlabumping into the chair had me cracking the hell up!  Meanwhile, fuckin' Tiana gets to live and darken my goddamned screen for another season?  Heiffa's got some serious donkey pictures 'cause she's lonnnnnnnnnnnnng overplayed and should have been killed.

What in the pinched face did you do, Nicole Ari Parker?  She looks horrible and a tad hefty.  Loved Giselle pouring Eddie's ashes down the street grate, I initially thought she was going to toss the urn into the street. 

I was surprised that Becky was with Empire without the Lyons and wonder if she'll get the boot once they rise from the ashes.

The social worker singer looks so familiar; I liked her song, also like the song Tiana and Hakeem sang (well, Hakeen lip-synched).

Jamal's boyfriend was straight up a-yummity.....glad to see Jamal happy for once.

It wouldn't surprise me if Andre was in that coffin; I love Trai and all but IMO Jamal and Hakeem have more meat than he does.  

I was shocked when Cookie  made a crack about Giselle's bad face lift.  Made me wonder if the show had purposely made her up to look like that or if Nicole Ari Parker just had overdone the cosmetic surgery.  I don't remember her looking like that last season.    

I thought Treasure looked familiar too.  Had to look her up.  I remember her from The Game.  She played the older Brit Brat.   Looks like she was also a regular on The Quad.  

22 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I thought Treasure looked familiar too.  Had to look her up.  I remember her from The Game.  She played the older Brit Brat.

OMG, Brit Brat!  Wow did she fill out and she looks great.

Thanks, After7!

On September 27, 2018 at 11:45 AM, Vixenstud said:

I enjoyed your opinion on the show, but I am just wondering why don't you like Tiana/Serayah? Is it something about Serayah you don't like, (besides her pictures)?

• Love 1

Journalism nothing against the actress, just never liked the Tiana character; she was a bitch to Hakeem in the earlier seasons and never liked her since.  He should have stuck with either Laura (the Latina virgin) or the recent one on the movie set.

Andre was caught spiking Anika's drink. Thirsty was able to get the charges reduced to 'reckless endangerment,' which carried a two year sentence (most of which Andre served during the time jump).

Eddie hit his head hard against furniture in his office, (after being caught embezzling Empire profits & being forced to step down by Lucious and Cookie) while drunkenly attempting to sexually assault his wife, and bled out.

• Love 2
On 9/26/2018 at 11:27 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

First, I'm glad they finally got rid of Eddie. He overstayed his welcome, IMO.

Apparently the Lyon kids were better at managing their money than their parents were.

Seems to me that Treasure is kind of in the same range as Tiana. The main difference is that Tiana is still with Empire and she already has an established music career.

Wonder who ends up dead? I'm guessing it's not one of the Lyons but the season teaser made it seem like it's Cookie. Unless this is going to be the final season I don't see them killing off Cookie.

I assumed this is the final season and that Cookie is in the casket. First, Taraji has been working outside of Empire steadily, and she might be ready to bounce. Second, Fox got this show and the actors on the cheap (google how much these black actors are making per episode), and Empire has been a cash cow for them, but the five year mark is usually when contracts are renegotiated. Fox, the network that just brought back the the up with white people, Last Man Standing, might be ready to return to its days of now black shows after having black shows helm them (think Living Single, In Living Color, etc. ).

On 9/27/2018 at 6:54 AM, Biggie B said:

I'm a little dismayed with Becky. I get that she had to do what was best for herself and her own career but still. I wonder if she will want to align herself again with Cookie and Lucious. 

I am thinking that Bevky might be their inside man at Empire. Besides, she needs to live. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

Journalism nothing against the actress, just never liked the Tiana character; she was a bitch to Hakeem in the earlier seasons and never liked her since.  He should have stuck with either Laura (the Latina virgin) or the recent one on the movie set.

I see what you are saying, Tiana's attitude in previous seasons did turn people off, including me, because she was so mean to Hakeem. So, do you think she will change for the better or worse this season, even though she now has a son with Hakeem? Well, Laura's parents weren't happy with their lifestyle, and would have always worried about the safety of their daughter. And Haven, I think he only used Haven to make Tiana jealous, so I don't think that was supposed to be a long term relationship. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dee said:

Taraji's said she's staying until the end.

I heard rumors otherwise but I've always thought that was contract negotiation tactics. And she has plenty if time to work on other projects. Her and Viola Davis have shortened seasons that allow them to do that. Taraji's past few movies haven't been lighting the world on fire either.

This show us still crazy successful but I wish it was as big as it was before because the quality has improved greatly. 

Oh well. We get to benefit I guess.

• Love 2
On 9/28/2018 at 3:03 PM, Vixenstud said:

Hakeem was a bitch to her and every woman he's had a relationship with.  And I hated the Laura arc.  She started by shutting down Hakeem's ass "I'm not going to be just another of your 'conquests!'," but became one for no good reason anyway.

• Love 1

IMO, while Hakeem can act like a jackass at times, having Bella forced him to grow up a little.....now, if he can juuuuuuuuust calm that temper down.

Oh!  Cute that he named his son Prince, or did I hear wrong?

Taraji better stay her butt in that chair!  She's done a lot before Cookie brought her superstardom, I'd think she'd want to stay on the gravy train until the wheels fall off.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Vixenstud said:

IMO, while Hakeem can act like a jackass at times, having Bella forced him to grow up a little.....now, if he can juuuuuuuuust calm that temper down.

As hotheaded as Hakeem can be, it was actually a fairly mature decision, for him, to stay at Jamal's place.

Just a couple of years ago, he'd be holed up in a strip joint or endlessly club hopping.

• Love 3
On 29/09/2018 at 12:25 PM, Happytobehere said:

Fox, the network that just brought back the the up with white people, Last Man Standing, might be ready to return to its days of now black shows after having black shows helm them (think Living Single, In Living Color, etc. ).

Fox is slowly changing over to New Fox because of Disney buying out 20th Century Fox and their TV division but not including the Fox network itself.  So shows that were made "in house" may not be theirs anymore and will have to buy it from Mickey Mouse in order to broadcast.  So the question becomes, what happens to the show after this season once it gets acquired by Disney?  Stay the same?  Radical changes?  Who knows?

• Love 1
On October 2, 2018 at 2:28 PM, mtlchick said:

Fox is slowly changing over to New Fox because of Disney buying out 20th Century Fox and their TV division but not including the Fox network itself.  So shows that were made "in house" may not be theirs anymore and will have to buy it from Mickey Mouse in order to broadcast.  So the question becomes, what happens to the show after this season once it gets acquired by Disney?  Stay the same?  Radical changes?  Who knows?

Those are very good questions, I guess we will have to wait and see.

On 10/4/2018 at 6:16 PM, journalism16 said:

Those are very good questions, I guess we will have to wait and see.

I think people worry a bit too much about what Disney owning something means. In the sense that some think Disney only runs family stuff. They have many different studios they own that do all types of content. They aren't going to change anything content wise. Shit, empire is tame compared to the Netflix marvel shows.

It just comes down to what fox plans to do. Fox is pivoting towards more live content ( pro wrestling, live sport, music) so it just becomes, what else do they want to keep on roster. 

As long as Empire keeps killing that demo ratings network tv loves, it should be fine. Unless you are CBS, you can't afford to throw away hit shows these days.

On October 7, 2018 at 9:03 AM, Racj82 said:

I think people worry a bit too much about what Disney owning something means. In the sense that some think Disney only runs family stuff. They have many different studios they own that do all types of content. They aren't going to change anything content wise. Shit, empire is tame compared to the Netflix marvel shows.

It just comes down to what fox plans to do. Fox is pivoting towards more live content ( pro wrestling, live sport, music) so it just becomes, what else do they want to keep on roster. 

As long as Empire keeps killing that demo ratings network tv loves, it should be fine. Unless you are CBS, you can't afford to throw away hit shows these days.

I agree with you, because when I was looking for employment with Disney in Public Relations, I took a look at everything they own and acquired on their website, and they own quite a lot, and you are also right about the content. But ultimately, it all comes down to what Fox ends up doing, and I definitely know Empire will be fine in the demo. I don't think people should worry so much.

• Love 3