Type keyword(s) to search

Creed II (2018)

VCRTracking
  • Start Topic

I saw the movie last night and I though it was great.  It's amazing that this franchise can still deliver after more than 40 years.  The people involved certainly help though with both Jordan and Stallone delivering.

• Love 5

I enjoyed it, but there was something that I can't quite pinpoint that kept it from being great, imo.  It was like they were striving for depth of characters and story lines, but just missed the mark.  I don't know if it was the similarities between this and Rocky IV, with shades of Rocky II. (some of which made sense, some of which made me roll my eyes) or something else. 

I do agree with @benteen that it's amazing that the franchise can still deliver after all these years and that both Jordan and Stallone were really good.  I feel like there should have been a bit more from the Russian side, because while I don't agree that to brutally beat an opponent is the best way to win back what you lost, I do feel for them that they lost everything because Ivan lost a fight.  I feel like there was a missed opportunity there, but at 2 hours and 10 minutes, I don't know what I'd have cut in order to give that story a little more depth, so maybe it was all for the best since it was Creed's story anyway. 

All in all, it goes without saying that this one was better than Rocky IV--you could tell that by the previews alone--but, it wasn't quite as good as Creed

Edited by Shannon L.
  • Love 4

The plot was a bit paint-by-the-numbers, but it had some touches I liked:

1. Adonis and Bianca dealing with their kid's disability. After the initial sadness and shock, it really was no big deal.
  2. Ivan and Viktor were not really the bad guys. They were just antagonists for Adonis. The only real bad guy was Ludmilla. (Still harboring a grudge, Sly?)
  3. There was no tension between Duke, Jr. and Rocky. They worked together.
3 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

All in all, it goes without saying that this one was better than Rocky IV

Rocky IV was a couple of fights bridged by musical montages.

• Love 4

I was kind of taken aback by how compelling the stuff with the Dragos was.  Honestly, the movie could have used more of them.

I really liked the movie.  Coogler's absence is felt, but the decline in quality is modest, all things considered, and the main character/emotional beats hit.  I was especially impressed that they found a relatively novel way to handle the first fight that we all knew Adonis obviously wasn't going to win -- having it end with disqualification was a neat way to prolong things.

Disappointed that Adonis and Bianca's daughter wasn't named Athena or Artemis, or something in that line.

• Love 7

Yo! It delivered. 

Spoiler

I was shocked to see Brigitte Nielsen back given their acrimonious divorce. I was stoked to see Milo back.

I too found the Drago’s story to be very compelling. 

My only criticism had to do with the music. I felt that they didn’t use the Creed theme enough and while it was cool that they used the Rocky theme at a pinnacle of the fight in the last movie, I think it’s time to move on and retire it from any further Creed movies and let the Creed series have its own identity.

Edited by ghertigirl
Further thoughts
  • Love 3
On 9/26/2018 at 2:39 PM, Dee said:

That body!

CHILE. Both Michael B. Jordan and the actor who played Drago were swole for REAL. I tend to be more attracted to tall, lean body types but goddamn, those backs!

I love a good training montage. I was saying that I want to do the training but I don't actually want to fight anybody. Just be out here bobbing and weaving and hitting the ground with a sledgehammer. 

People really do line up (very long lines in good weather) to take pictures in front of that Rocky statue in front of the Art Museum in Philly. That made me laugh. Also liked that Bianca said "jawn" - you can't set something in Philly and not hear the word "jawn."

By far the part of boxing I like watching the most is bobbing and weaving (for some reason it visually connotes more strategy to me than knockout blows), so I loved seeing so much of that in the climactic fight. It was an exciting match.

On 11/21/2018 at 8:04 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Adonis and Bianca dealing with their kid's disability. After the initial sadness and shock, it really was no big deal.

I can see why they'd be upset, of course - their daughter won't hear their voices - but it's not an insurmountable problem. (I knew Bianca was going to miss his proposal the first time around.)

I was most moved emotionally by the relationship between Rocky and Adonis, same as in the first Creed (when Adonis took care of Rocky when he was sick, I think I teared up). Whenever Adonis calls him "unc," I smile. I like "found family" things like that. Same with how Mary Anne has become his mom.

Phylicia Rashad is so beautiful.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 6

Creed II was one of the movies I was most excited for this year because I unequivocally adored the first Creed. I feel maybe a touch let down, but only because the first one set such high expectations.

I felt the main issue with this film was how over-plotted it was. The first Creed worked so well because it was singularly focused with a compelling side-plot that tied into the main plot very well, and you really only had 3 actors playing off one another.

This film combined elements of the plots of Rocky II, III, and IV while also working to craft a sympathetic antagonist in Drago (no small part due to Coogler's experience with the MCU in the past 18 months, I'm sure). Unfortunate as it is to say, I think the drama surrounding their baby being born could have been dialed back in order to focus more on the Dragos. The dinner in Russia scene was a good dive into the complexities of their situation, but we could have used more supporting scenes.

Great performances all around, as expected. Dolph Lundgren was really fantastic as a man outwardly trying to keep up appearances, but emotionally vulnerable. Phylicia Rashad is incredible in these movies, and Rocky always brings out the best in Stallone.

The performances they've gotten out of most of the professional boxers that play in these films are pretty incredible too. Wish we had gotten some lines out of Andre Ward

Edited by Traveller519
  • Love 5
On 11/21/2018 at 5:04 PM, AimingforYoko said:

The plot was a bit paint-by-the-numbers, but it had some touches I liked:

1. Adonis and Bianca dealing with their kid's disability. After the initial sadness and shock, it really was no big deal.
  2. Ivan and Viktor were not really the bad guys. They were just antagonists for Adonis. The only real bad guy was Ludmilla. (Still harboring a grudge, Sly?)
  3. There was no tension between Duke, Jr. and Rocky. They worked together.

Rocky IV was a couple of fights bridged by musical montages.

2. Only the "break him" refrain sounds villainous to an American, a call back to sweep the leg from the other fighting franchise.

With Ivan being a Soviet, thus losing his window to become a professional fighter and just forgotten by the state to his son making it to number one contender as the duo prepared for the future was a good bit. Only there have been Russian champions which didn't fit with the movie narrative, , Maybe they are not among the 5 or so that everybody in the crowd would know. with Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed taking two of those spaces in this franchise., But it was nice to go out with a chance to get the champ title for the Drago's later.

There's apparently talk that the director is interested in a film about the Drago family. I'm certainly here for it. I really liked that Viktor refused to go down (usually the hero trope), and Ivan had to throw in the towel. Good and unexpected writing there. Kudos to some solid acting by Lundgren as well. That scene with him and Rocky in the restaurant had emotional heft and really delivered for me. Also, this was the first time since Rocky IV that the opponent was a compelling character and physically scary AF. Kudos for that as well. 

I continue to be obsessed with the Rocky/Adonis relationship. And I may or may not have shed tears on that scene with Rock, his son, and his grandson. The bit about him looking like Adrian, and the way Stallone delivered the line, broke my heart. 

• Love 5

Saw it today and loved it. It hit all the right emotional tones and even though it had remnants of prior rocky movies, I didn’t care.  Loved that they gave Drago some soul, his son didn’t say much but you could feel his anger.  I got the sense that he loved and hated his father.

To this day, Rocky and Adrian are one of my favorite couples of all time.  Even though she is gone Sly can sell Rocky losing  his soulmate like no other.  I also teared at the end when he said that his grandson looked like Adrian.  

• Love 4

CHILE. Both Michael B. Jordan and the actor who played Drago were swole for REAL. I tend to be more attracted to tall, lean body types but goddamn, those backs!

No kidding. MBJ looked fantastic of course but every time Viktor was on screen I was feeling a bit thirsty for a White Russian. (It actually is one of my favorite mixed drinks. 🙂)

I imagine she's had some work done but Brigitte Nielsen still looked pretty good. Had to laugh at her attempt at speaking one short sentence in Russian though. It sounded like she was reading phonetically off of cue cards.

The music was great too.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I imagine she's had some work done but Brigitte Nielsen still looked pretty good.

My mother was like "Wait, that's Brigitte Nielsen?!" Which is code for "she's had work done."

Saw it earlier today.  It ended up being what I figured it would be: not as good as the first Creed, but still a great continuation of the next big boxing franchise, and did a solid job at balancing out Adonis, Bianca, and the other new players, along with the old-school folks like Rocky and the returning Ivan Drago.  I think my biggest issue was that it was a bit too overstuffed and I would have preferred if they maybe saved the Adonis/Bianca baby drama and Rocky's issues with his son for a later film, and focused more on Ivan and Viktor, and how Adonis' decisions to fight Viktor effected Bianca, Rocky, and Mary Anne on a more personal level.  Instead, everything was generally great on a technical, emotional level, but just felt too short.

I know there has been speculation over if this is it for Sly's time in the franchise, but I definitely got the sense that at the very least, they're beginning the process of phasing Rocky out, by having him reconnect with Robert at the end, and possibly setting it up for him to enjoy the rest of his days with his son and grandson.  This one just had more of a "passing the torch" vibe.  If so, I'll miss Stallone's more nuance and realistic take on the older, world-weary Rocky, but I'm glad this will allow Adonis to truly take over, and for Michael B. Jordan to continue to shine.  I really like how he and the film allow Adonis to not be perfect, as he can be impulsive, hot-headed, and stubborn, but he is truly a good man that loves his family, and he learns from his mistakes, and grows as a person.  I'm looking forward to more of his journey.

Tessa Thompson continues to be a delight as Bianca, Russell Hornsby was a fun surprise as Marcelle, always enjoy Wood Harris, and Phylicia Rashad does so much with so little (the look on her face when Adonis told her he was accepting the fight barely had any movement, but you could just see how much it shook her, hearing his decision.)  Florian Munteanu didn't say much, but still did a decent job despite his inexperience as an actor.  As for Dolph Lundgren, while I won't say he's a thespian or anything, I always thought he was bit underrated as an actor (likely due to English not being his first language), and I thought he was great here.  He really showed how Ivan's loss to Rocky harden him even more and turn him into a cold, uncaring, and close to abusive father, but he also made it believable when Ivan finally saw how wrong he was, and threw the towel in to save his son more pain.  Again, I wish there was more development with the Dragos, but Lundgren and even Munteanu made it work.

Steven Caple Jr. did a good job with the fight scenes, even if he didn't quite have the raw energy that Ryan Coogler had in the first film.

The training montages were great as always.

Curious to see where this franchise goes next!

• Love 3
On 12/2/2018 at 2:00 AM, Jeebus Cripes said:

I continue to be obsessed with the Rocky/Adonis relationship. And I may or may not have shed tears on that scene with Rock, his son, and his grandson. The bit about him looking like Adrian, and the way Stallone delivered the line, broke my heart. 

Yo...

Finally catching Creed II On Demand after I missed it in theatres.  This scene with Rock and his son?  Made me feel like Sly should've received another Supporting Actor nod since he was robbed of the last one.

• Love 1

Wow they really found a kid who looked like Talia Shire to play Rocky's grandson.

I wish the reason they gave for Robert's estrangement was he found out Rocky bribed doctors to say he was healthy enough to fight Mason Dixon!