Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: The Wedding Gift Wormhole

Sheldon and Amy drive themselves crazy trying to figure out what “perfect gift” Leonard and Penny gave them for their wedding. Also, Koothrappali decides he wants to settle down and asks his father to arrange a marriage for him.

Airdate: Thursday, September 27, 2018

They've gone down the "Raj wants an arranged marriage" route before - and it was pretty funny how it fell apart.  If they're going to recycle their own plots I hope they do it differently this time and the arrangement actually works. 

• Love 12

Nice joke regarding the regifting of the item:  From Raj to Howard to Leonard to Sheldon,

however, "Cheers" did it better:

Woody was giving a "Star Trek" chess set to Robin and Rebecca (they didn't get married in the end)

which he got from Fraisier, which he got from Norm, which he got from Cliff.  That's five regifts!!!

(Of course, Sheldon says he will regift the item back to Raj, which is 5 regifts back to the original owner ---- even funnier!!!!)

• Love 6

I loved all the Oompa-loompa and Finding Nemo jokes about orange Stuart.  And I'm terribly glad he decided to just tell the truth about the situation instead of backing out or making up something stupid.  After all, he'll see her at the comic book store anyway.

The regifting of the unusual object was what made that storyline funny to me.  Had it been something random that Penny and Leonard had bought somewhere, it wouldn't have been nearly as good.

• Love 19

"How is a big glass shaft going to aid our marriage?" LOL.

I knew that Penny and Leonard gave them a mystery gift on purpose, but Sheldon and Amy unintentionally turned it around with their own scavenger hunt. I kind of feel bad for whoever really lost the locker though...

• Love 9
14 minutes ago, EllenB said:

Stuart was back to awkward but likeable in this one.  I hope they keep him like that, instead of the sad sack loser he'd become in recent seasons.  And I like the young woman - didn't catch the character's name - who is funny in a natural way, and the two seem comfortable together.

Her name is Denise.

• Love 3

I really like that Denise really likes Stuart for himself and is willing to overlook his insecurities. It's really sweet and I think it'll work out for both of them.

I kept wondering if some woman wouldn't come up to Amy saying "Oh, that's my grannie's diamond (not quartz) locket! You found it. It's a family treasure and I lost it." Amy would feel she had to return it and then feel betrayed by P&L, leading to shenanigans. That was a tacky wedding present joke they pulled. Fine for Sheldon, he deserves it, but not Amy.

• Love 9
11 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Nice joke regarding the regifting of the item:  From Raj to Howard to Leonard to Sheldon,

however, "Cheers" did it better

Same goes for the Orange Stuart joke.  Sure, it was mildly amusing, but Friends did it much better.  Orange Ross for the win. 

Cute episode, but they still don't know what to do with Penny & Leonard.

Edited by Cementhead
  • Love 2
59 minutes ago, Cementhead said:

Orange Ross for the win.

True.  That was a classic!

I loved the scavenger hunt but I'm still perturbed by the idea that Penny and Leonard thought a prank gift was a good idea for their one and only gift to Amy and Sheldon.  I think Amy and Sheldon would have been truly hurt to find out that their best friends gave them a joke to celebrate such a special day for them.   If they had given them something thoughtful, as well as the gag gift, it would have still resulted in the scavenger hunt and not seemed so cold hearted.

• Love 8

I really liked the Stuart storyline - it was great seeing him so happy.  Hope it all turns out well.

The wedding gift gag was just so forced and sit-commy that it was not funny to me at all.

Meh on the Raj storyline.

• Love 1

This episode was adorable.  I hope the season is more like this and less mean-spirited. I kind of wanted to see Raj's Instagram pics with his dog, but I'm glad that he seems to be showing some introspection. Shamy continues to be the best part of this show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Frost said:

I loved the scavenger hunt but I'm still perturbed by the idea that Penny and Leonard thought a prank gift was a good idea for their one and only gift to Amy and Sheldon.

I think they expected Amy and Sheldon to figure out what it was, or at least what it could be used for, and rationalize how it could be the "perfect gift", even though they were just passing along something they didn't want. It's notable that neither Amy nor Sheldon was willing to show any intellectual weakness to the other by trying to get help from the internet or a shop specializing in "unique" gifts.

• Love 1
On 9/26/2018 at 12:27 PM, BlossomCulp said:

They've gone down the "Raj wants an arranged marriage" route before - and it was pretty funny how it fell apart.  If they're going to recycle their own plots I hope they do it differently this time and the arrangement actually works. 

Raj is gay. It's time the writers/producers/creators acknowledge it. Get him out of the closet already!

Ha! The perfect wedding gift! Very clever the way it came back to bite Penny and Leonard on the ass! Haha!

• Love 2

I laughed many more times than I have during recent episodes and as a sitcom, that is the goal....or at least I assumed it was.

Yeah, some of these are recycled, but they were recycled in a funny way so it worked for me.

And yes, Leonard and Penny are more awkward this season than in the past.

• Love 1

Definitely a winner of an episode for me.  Laughed out loud a few times and also felt they integrated all the cast in a meaningful way, Penny and Leonard I guess work best when they aren't the centre of the story!  I liked that they brought Bert in and also Raj's Dad (although I still hate that they broke up that marriage).

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 6

I'm loving 'happy Stuart.'

It's so about time that dude found some happiness. I liked that he was honest with her, and that she was cool with it and made the whole debacle FUN for him. He's found a good one, Stuart has. Thank you show, for killing (hopefully forever) Sad, self-hating Stuart. 

Like others have said...they still don't know what to do with Penny & Leonard. 

What's a Chakra Wand?

• Love 12
13 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

What's a Chakra Wand?

I googled it. It's a new age crystal healing thing. Apparently they double the power of just plain crystals. That's all I got before the eye rolling got too much. (Is there a crystal for that?)

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, hnygrl said:

Thanks guys....

still don't know what the hell that is though...weird weird weird...but whatever floats ya boat.

It would make more sense if it was a Hindu thing since it was originally from Raj. I know he's been an occasionally-observant Hindu (when it serves the joke*, at least) but I don't recall him being into New Age stuff like that.

[*I was going to say "when it serves the plot" but I don't think that's ever really been an actual plot point.]

• Love 1

That was a crappy gift.  I don't understand why Raj would give that to Howard & Bernadette in the first place.  Neither of them are new agey....  I have a aunt-in-law who's into all that stuff. 

Also, for the other couples to re-gift it.  Really you would give your good "friends" such a crappy re-gift? 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, hnygrl said:

I'm loving 'happy Stuart.'

It's so about time that dude found some happiness. I liked that he was honest with her, and that she was cool with it and made the whole debacle FUN for him. He's found a good one, Stuart has. Thank you show, for killing (hopefully forever) Sad, self-hating Stuart.

This!  So much.

3 minutes ago, DkNNy79 said:

That was a crappy gift.  I don't understand why Raj would give that to Howard & Bernadette in the first place.  Neither of them are new agey....  I have a aunt-in-law who's into all that stuff. 

Also, for the other couples to re-gift it.  Really you would give your good "friends" such a crappy re-gift? 

Yeah, I would prefer that that was actually a secondary gift, and they got Shamy a legit present too.  Weird that Raj even gave it to his bestie and his bride in the first place.

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 2

Maybe not much of a gift (although it ended up being perfect for Sheldon and Amy) but I can sympathize with what to give someone!  My kids and their cousins and friends are all at the getting married for the first time stage of life and for the most part they're marrying people they've lived with, often had children and bought a house with.  What do you give them?  A toaster?  They've got one.  Money is usually the most appreciated but I can see where close friends might not given a cheque (or an e-transfer :) ).    

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Same goes for the Orange Stuart joke.  Sure, it was mildly amusing, but Friends did it much better.  Orange Ross for the win. 

It was more like Ross's teeth-bleaching episode from Friends, since the premise for that and Orange Stuart was to try and be more attractive for a date.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, AnnaRose said:

Weird that Raj even gave it to his bestie and his bride in the first place.

Raj believes in karma and has used the phrase "negative energy" WRT Howard, so he could have picked up some beliefs about crystals; perhaps from someone at his exercise classes? I think Raj has done pilates, aerobics and yoga.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Maybe not much of a gift (although it ended up being perfect for Sheldon and Amy) but I can sympathize with what to give someone!  My kids and their cousins and friends are all at the getting married for the first time stage of life and for the most part they're marrying people they've lived with, often had children and bought a house with.  What do you give them?  A toaster?  They've got one.  Money is usually the most appreciated but I can see where close friends might not given a cheque (or an e-transfer :) ).    

Did Amy and Sheldon have a registry? I usually give something off the registry and add to it (like the Italian cookbook my friend had on her registry, to which I added some things like fancy gourmet pasta and sauce and made up a little basket). Usually I do that for a shower where I get to watch them open it, then for the wedding itself I either give a check or a gift card to wherever they registered so they can put it toward things they didn't get. I know they'll be able to use it and they don't have a big thing to lug home from the wedding reception. Even regifting something you know they'd actually like isn't terrible. Giving them something as a gag gift because you don't even know what it is, and no real gift, is pretty crappy and thoughtless. 

• Love 4

It was nice to see Stuart with things going his way for a change.

The Chakra wand reminded me of the discussion Penny and Leonard had over psychics, voodoo, etc.  Penny had said that crystals do not work.  I wonder if that was a factor in them regifting it.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

It was more like Ross's teeth-bleaching episode from Friends, since the premise for that and Orange Stuart was to try and be more attractive for a date.

I just meant that they ripped off the orange tan bit from Friends but yeah, sure, there's that comparison, too.

23 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Raj believes in karma and has used the phrase "negative energy" WRT Howard, so he could have picked up some beliefs about crystals; perhaps from someone at his exercise classes? I think Raj has done pilates, aerobics and yoga.

No, I didn't mean weird that Raj  gave it to them because I didn't believe he could possibly think a chakra wand could be useful... I just meant that Howard and Raj have been best friends for many years, and it was weird because it seems like such a cheap, crappy wedding gift to give your best friend and his new bride.

• Love 3

I think at some point Sheldon says something about having written 60 thank you cards, assuming Amy wrote an equal number and based on the unopened gifts they still had to go through I wondered where the heck they were going to put all that stuff in a one bedroom apartment!

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

I think at some point Sheldon says something about having written 60 thank you cards, assuming Amy wrote an equal number and based on the unopened gifts they still had to go through I wondered where the heck they were going to put all that stuff in a one bedroom apartment!

I thought it was "16" cards, but that might just be me hearing "down" because I loathe Sheldon. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

Or leather pants Ross.

• Love 3
50 minutes ago, AnnaRose said:

No, I didn't mean weird that Raj  gave it to them because I didn't believe he could possibly think a chakra wand could be useful... I just meant that Howard and Raj have been best friends for many years, and it was weird because it seems like such a cheap, crappy wedding gift to give your best friend and his new bride

Just because the prop department cheaped out doesn't mean we're supposed to believe Raj did. I don't know how you tell the difference between a $20 wand and a $200 or $2000 one, but I doubt it'd be visible on screen. Raj is wealthy enough that everyone may have been more generous in regifting than they thought.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Googled "chakra wand'. It clears energy. Video above: How to use a 7 Chakra Wand to Activate and Align Energy"

my first thought about the gift was why didn't THEY google the description of the wand? 

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Mystery said:

I thought it was "16" cards, but that might just be me hearing "down" because I loathe Sheldon. 

I just rewatched this part and I think you've got it right.  16  not 60.  Still a fair number of presents (adding what Amy did and the unopened ones) but not as many as I thought!

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

my first thought about the gift was why didn't THEY google the description of the wand?

Because that would make sense?

Or as my dad would say, "it's in the script." (Or not, as the case may be,)

• Love 1

Sheldon and Amy would've been hurt to know the real meaning behind Leonard and Penny's gift to them.  Sometimes Leonard acts like Sheldon's best friend, then sometimes he's just a jerk to him with the side comments and faces he makes.  I know that Sheldon bugs him, but sometimes I think Leonard's snide remarks go too far. YMMV.  I'm glad that Leonard and Penny's prank gift backfired on them.  

The best gift was the one Stephen Hawking gave them.  Too bad they didn't air that scene.   

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 9

And yet apparently Leonard and Penny were not hurt to get the regifted item, and Howard and Bernadette weren't hurt to get it originally from Raj.  If anyone should have their feelings hurt about the gift, it should be Raj!  In the end, though, it's a lovely tchotchke, and it wouldn't actually hurt my feelings to have received it.  However, I would have asked what it was.

Incidentally, when did it start that you have to give 47,000 gifts when someone gets married?  Back in the day, I don't ever remember anyone giving more than one gift per wedding -- if one was invited to the shower, the gift was given then.  If not, the gift was given at the wedding or reception. 

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Incidentally, when did it start that you have to give 47,000 gifts when someone gets married?  Back in the day, I don't ever remember anyone giving more than one gift per wedding -- if one was invited to the shower, the gift was given then.  If not, the gift was given at the wedding or reception. 

And...what gave you the idea that someone had given more than one gift to them? There was no wedding shower. These are the gifts given at the wedding/reception. I just assumed that S&A left immediately for their honeymoon and didn't have time to open the gifts (or these are "late" gifts (gifts sent by non-attendees sometime after the wedding (such as Sheldon's aunt's gift)).

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, illdoc said:

And...what gave you the idea that someone had given more than one gift to them? There was no wedding shower. These are the gifts given at the wedding/reception. I just assumed that S&A left immediately for their honeymoon and didn't have time to open the gifts (or these are "late" gifts (gifts sent by non-attendees sometime after the wedding (such as Sheldon's aunt's gift)).

I meant in general, not necessarily this show.  Every time I hear about a wedding IRL, people talk about having to get an engagement gift and a shower gift and a wedding gift and a reception gift, and I don't even know what all kinds of gifts, and I have no idea when that trend started.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, msrachelj said:

You can google pictures too. If you don't know how to describe something (and they really didn't), you can upload images and get back others that look like it. Sort of. It's not as good as a word search, but would have been worth a try in this case.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, msrachelj said:

Exactly!  I guess for the sake of the show, they got caught up in thinking that it had a deeper meaning and it just snowballed from there.  Luckily they didn't Google it or they would've figured out what turds Leonard and Penny were.  ;)

• Love 4