Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Your Funeral

On 9/28/2018 at 12:35 PM, Aquarius97 said:

I don't know why, but i have the feeling that the almost-dead person is going to be Michaela

I think the breathing sounded like a woman and I immediately thought it was Michaela. My only reason for thinking otherwise is the optics on this. They killed Wes and then Michaela, the only two black members of the original K5. However, like Wes, so much of the drama that has happened in the past season or so can be traced back to her, so there’s that.

I loved this season opener. 

I have long thought that The K5 needs to transition out if the show is to survive and stay fresh, assuming VD wants to do the show beyond season 5. As such, I have no problem with Michaela or Laurel dying at the hands of another member of K4 (as they are sans Wes). However, if the person was trying to take the baby, the victim could be Laurel’s mother. We all speculated that Laurel killed her, but she could have beaten her badly, and dumped her somewhere and now Mommy Dearest is back for revenge.

My hope for end-game on this show is for Annalise, Frank and Bonnie to be left standing firmly together against the rest of the world.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 11:49 AM, HunterHunted said:

Wasn't witnessing, as toddlers, their mother's murder what caused Dexter and his brother to become serial killers? Poor Christopher. Not only do bodies continue to drop constantly around this crew, half of the people raising him have murdered people.

Christopher was born on a murder night and probably conceived on a murder night as well.  He has murder literally in his genes.  It's a good thing that his surrogate family is a bunch of lawyers and computer hackers because he might need them.  

• Love 2

How does the receiving of the baptism garment prove Laurel's mother is alive? Just because she had it, doesn't mean she sent it. Anyone could have gotten it from her, it's really crazy to assume that just because someone sent it to Laurel, it has any relevance whatsoever to proving Laurel's mother is alive.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, possibilities said:

How does the receiving of the baptism garment prove Laurel's mother is alive? Just because she had it, doesn't mean she sent it. Anyone could have gotten it from her, it's really crazy to assume that just because someone sent it to Laurel, it has any relevance whatsoever to proving Laurel's mother is alive.

I thought that, too!

• Love 3

Rome Flynn is fucking gorgeous. That said, feels a bit on-the-nose replacing Wes with another biracial black guy with ambiguous connections to Annaliese. Hopefully she won't have creepy unresolved sexual tension with him too. I think Bonnie as his mom will turn out to be a red herring and that he's somehow Annaliese's son that she thought was dead. Maybe the reason that Frank immediately recognized Gabriel is because he smuggled him out of the hospital or something.

I'm disappointed that something as awesome as Connor/Oliver's wedding has to be marred by another murder tonight. I know many here aren't happy with Oliver as a character, but let's face it, they are all assholes at this point. I've been sick of Saint Laurel since Wes' murder, but she really lost me for good when she essentially raped Frank during her pregnancy nymphomania and it was never brought up again and were somehow still supposed to believe that Frank is madly in love with her. The only one who's not problematic is Christopher, but even he's technically an accessory to murder now and he's not even out of diapers LOL these people truly do redefine toxic.

Looks like they're setting up Asher's anger issues again to make him the next murderer. Frankly, his rage has terrified me since he ran over that lady.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

he's somehow Annaliese's son that she thought was dead. Maybe the reason that Frank immediately recognized Gabriel is because he smuggled him out of the hospital or something.

Annalise's son would be 12 or 13 now, not 23 or 24.  Gabriel is not Annalises's son (at least, he's not the one that died because of the car wreck, which happened in 2005).

• Love 3

I want the victim to be either Laurel or Asher.  I'm so sick of Laurel.  For so many seasons the golden boy that every storyline had to revolve around was drippy Wes.  Now it's Laurel.  Everything always comes back to her.  Frankly, I don't care if her mom is alive or not.  For all we know, Laurel did in fact kill her, then went home, found the gown and sent it to herself to make everyone think that Mom is in the wind somewhere.

I am tired of Asher too... his passive aggressiveness, his constant need for attention.  I'm glad he didn't make the cut for the clinic.  Wouldn't be unhappy if he got the axe.  He seems very extraneous at this point.

The actor who plays Gabriel... eh.  Couldn't stand this guy as Zzzzzzzende on Bold and the Beautiful so I have bias against him from there.  Just seems like Wes 2.0.  Eager young kid with possible connection to Annalise or Bonnie.  Do the ages even fit for him to be Bonnie's kid?  I think we were told she was multiple raped by her father's friends when she was 12?  Maybe I am misremembering.  He is a first semester 2L so he's about 23.  Is she really only 35ish?  She looks 45 to me.

2 hours ago, blackwing said:

The actor who plays Gabriel... eh.  Couldn't stand this guy as Zzzzzzzende on Bold and the Beautiful so I have bias against him from there.  Just seems like Wes 2.0.  Eager young kid with possible connection to Annalise or Bonnie.  Do the ages even fit for him to be Bonnie's kid?  I think we were told she was multiple raped by her father's friends when she was 12?  Maybe I am misremembering.  He is a first semester 2L so he's about 23.  Is she really only 35ish?  She looks 45 to me.

The actress is 41. The multiple rapes started when she was 12, but she could have been14 or 15 when she had the baby. Basically its not that far off.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am tired of Asher too... his passive aggressiveness, his constant need for attention.  I'm glad he didn't make the cut for the clinic.  Wouldn't be unhappy if he got the axe.  He seems very extraneous at this point.

How does he even fit in the show any more?  He's not working with Annalise, nor in her class.  I think he decided not to live at the "group house", so how does he fit with the Keating 5 - 1 + 2 / 7 carry the 5?

• Love 3

My guess (which is just a guess) is that Asher will get some sort of major arc exactly because of and arising out of his very pointed exclusion from the group.  Have we considered the possibility that he may be the blood-dripping victim (and possible baby-napper) in the flash-forwards?

Anyway, I'd like it if they could find something useful for him to do, even if it means turning him into a mustachio-twirling villain.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, surreysmum said:

My guess (which is just a guess) is that Asher will get some sort of major arc exactly because of and arising out of his very pointed exclusion from the group.  Have we considered the possibility that he may be the blood-dripping victim (and possible baby-napper) in the flash-forwards?

Anyway, I'd like it if they could find something useful for him to do, even if it means turning him into a mustachio-twirling villain.

I didn't consider it, but only because Bonnie's reaction to this victim was so cold. I know Bonnie's killed people before and done it without hesitation or much remorse, but she DOES have a history with Asher so even if he went totally off the rails this season and started damaging all of his relationships, I don't think Bonnie would have reacted in the way that she did in the flashforward, even if they did do it to throw us, the audience, off.

However, I'm not taking that possibility off the table.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, speedroc said:

What was/is the 1L/2L designation and why did it disqualify many of the potential students?

Law schools typically run three years - 1L, 2L and 3L.

1Ls are in the first year of law school and have a demanding core curriculum and have no room for elective classes anyway. And even though Our Heroes started with AK as 1Ls (and now are 3Ls), typically it's a time of great adjustment and so 1Ls would typically not be considered for a clinic like the one AK is involved in.

2Ls have survived that 1st rough year, and generally are entitled to take whatever classes 3Ls can in the real world. But perhaps AK wants to have students with more experience all of the sudden or more freedom. 3Ls (at least in my experience) have a lot more flexibility as to their schedule. Indeed, some law schools are experimenting with having only 2 years and then a hefty dose of practical experience somewhere.

There was also the notion of establishing Gabriel as a rebel by trying to sneak by AK's rule.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Law schools typically run three years - 1L, 2L and 3L.

1Ls are in the first year of law school and have a demanding core curriculum and have no room for elective classes anyway. And even though Our Heroes started with AK as 1Ls (and now are 3Ls), typically it's a time of great adjustment and so 1Ls would typically not be considered for a clinic like the one AK is involved in.

2Ls have survived that 1st rough year, and generally are entitled to take whatever classes 3Ls can in the real world. But perhaps AK wants to have students with more experience all of the sudden or more freedom. 3Ls (at least in my experience) have a lot more flexibility as to their schedule. Indeed, some law schools are experimenting with having only 2 years and then a hefty dose of practical experience somewhere.

There was also the notion of establishing Gabriel as a rebel by trying to sneak by AK's rule.

Also Pennsylvania doesn't allow 1Ls to do any work in any legal clinic work.

• Love 1
On 9/27/2018 at 10:45 PM, mrsbagnet said:

What Annalise said to Asher at end so needed to be said. I'm glad he finally got to hear it. He needs to grow up.

I don't know, he looked pretty pissed off and has a bad temper.  Annalise might get spontaneously run over!

On 9/28/2018 at 1:50 PM, skotnikov said:

And btw Annalise's teaching style (a prof. abandons her class and goes after a text message? Treats students like sh*t?) would produce so many complaints she would be suspended in a matter of weeks. 

Yeah, I was just rolling my eyes at the "ooh this class is so tuff" stuff.  Also, were the students who were rejected actually registered for the class?  And now they are kicked out.  Do they have time to register for another class instead?  If no 2L students are supposed to be in the class, why wouldn't the school just prohibit them from signing up?  Gabriel didn't seem to have talked to Annalise ahead of time to try to get a special waiver to take the class, so why was he there?

• Love 3
On 10/4/2018 at 2:25 AM, HunterHunted said:

Also Pennsylvania doesn't allow 1Ls to do any work in any legal clinic work.

They just throw in these little statements to remind viewers that this is a legal-ish show. There's no accuracy or consistency lol. 

On 9/28/2018 at 2:20 PM, tennisgurl said:

I can get why they seem like a weird couple, and they probably couldn't have lasted anyway, but while they started as a "lets just have sex" style couple, it seems like things had grown a lot since then, with them being an actual real couple that was thinking about a possible future, and while I do think that they had some problems, her hooking up with some random guy from another show was just crappy. 

I really liked them as a couple once Michaela stopped teasing him. I did t think it was appropriate a d it certainly wouldn't have been acceptable in the reverse. I thought it was good for Michaela to be with someone who loved her and didn't lie to her, who respected her. I like that Asher didn't have some predefined type. He was I to Michaela - not her type. And Michaela clinging to her type - the other half of her Michelle and Barack fantasy - was the root of many of her bad relationship choices, including cheating on Asher. I felt like Asher's clowning was a cover-up. He stepped it up more but could still be silly enough to help her let her guard down. 

• Love 3