Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Antoinette & Albert

This is my first season watching this dumb show.  And I am VERY DISAPPOINTED to learn that there even are "happy" non-catfishing endings.  All I was left with this episode was deciding whether I was more annoyed by Antoinette's horribleness or Nev's moralistic preening about Antoinette's horribleness.

• Love 1

I fast forwarded through most of this episode. Antoinette was just so damn irritating! I find all the episodes with happy endings to be extremely boring. I'm not really watching this show to see people make legit love connections. I want train wrecks! Bring on the drama and lying liars who lie!

• Love 1

I fast forwarded through most of this episode. Antoinette was just so damn irritating! I find all the episodes with happy endings to be extremely boring. I'm not really watching this show to see people make legit love connections. I want train wrecks! Bring on the drama and lying liars who lie!

The happy endings always seem even more awkward to me then when the Catfish comes clean. This episode being the perfect example. Neither one of them really seemed into each other. So, much second hand embarrassment watching the two of them interact, especially their 'conversations'. I don't know what was worse the kiss (which she later denied to Max and Nev during the update) or him  stumbling through a song he wrote while playing the acoustic guitar. 

• Love 2

I don't see this one as a happy ending because I think it was a set-up.  How convenient that a popular local band got exposure on MTV.  Nobody came out looking bad and they conveniently remain friends.  Nev and Max get super cool dad to lecture about the dangers of the internet.  It was all just to perfect for me.

• Love 6

I don't see this one as a happy ending because I think it was a set-up.  

I only say happy ending because they both turned out to be who they said they were with no actual catfishing going on. 

I found this unwatchable for a totally different reason. Antionette was like, you know, like, unable to like, talk, like you know a normal human, like, you know, being. She was like, annoyingly, like, you know, like vapid.

Now get off my lawn while I fire up the Atari.

• Love 6
(edited)

It was suggested on TWOP that the real catfish WAS the married brother and that T-Lights was covering for him.  That would explain why he didn't seem that interested in meeting her - because he didn't actually have any idea who she was.  I tend to agree with this because the two of them seemed super-uncomfortable with each other - even people who only knew each other through texting the kind of inane  OMG U R SO HOTTT!!!  messages shown,ought to seem friendlier to each other.  Plus it was pretty nasty of him to tell her she looked "ratchet" and didn't need to do that to get guys to like her - IF, in fact, he had first decided to get in touch with her from seeing her "ratchet" selfies on Instagram.  Which also makes me think it wasn't him at all, but his brother.

They never really explained the whole thing with the phone, for example - the show just kind of dropped that.  And that whole thing in the parking lot where Nev went up to talk to the band WITHOUT CAMERAS OR SOUND RECORDERS - when have they EVER done that?  Which makes me think, again, that something was up.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 4

And that whole thing in the parking lot where Nev went up to talk to the band WITHOUT CAMERAS OR SOUND RECORDERS - when have they EVER done that?

As Nev said, they were in a sticky situation. Whether or not it was the brother, they couldn't risk doing a surprise confrontation and have it be clear that it was; they'd never get the releases to air it. Even doing the usual phone call to set up a meeting would have been risky. So Nev gave the band a private heads-up, which I suppose is more "real" than having a PA do it off-screen.

Ah! Color me naive. I didn't even consider that is was the married bother and T-Lights (what a ridiculous name) was covering for him. It does make sense though with the no-audio, watching from a bush initial confrontation and the sheer awkwardness between the two.

If you haven't seen the documentary Tall, Hot Blonde. I recommend it. It was before Catfish was made. It's a true story, very good & sad at the same time. When I first saw the movie CatFish, I thought fake.

Ah! Color me naive. I didn't even consider that is was the married bother and T-Lights (what a ridiculous name) was covering for him. It does make sense though with the no-audio, watching from a bush initial confrontation and the sheer awkwardness between the two.

Although it seemed like he was quoting some of their texts when she said something like "I talk like how I write in real life" and he said they used special emojis for each other. I don't know anymore.

• Love 1

Just saw the episode yesterday and I agree that the whole freakin thing was a set up.  Either Antoinette and T-Lights colluded to get the band exposure on MTV or T-Lights was covering for his brother.  There is no way that Nev and Max could roll up to that venue with a camera crew in hand, get a table, meet the band without their being some prior knowledge that they were coming which means in turn the band knew they were coming.   Something felt off about the whole episode, culminating with that very, very awkward kiss.  My gaydar pinged BIG TIME on T-Lights.  

I have been thinking entirely too much about this episode!

• Love 3

even people who only knew each other through texting the kind of inane  OMG U R SO HOTTT!!!  messages shown,ought to seem friendlier to each other.

That's something I wonder about every time I watch this show--do these people ever send text messages with any substance, or do they just purposefully not show those? Or am I the only person who holds actual conversations via text?

• Love 1

The happy endings always seem even more awkward to me 

Do you think that the 'happy' endings are actually predetermined and staged? Maybe Nev figures he has to throw in a couple of good endings so that people will still forward him stories. I mean, he doesn't want his "catfish" show to drive people away from online dating.

On 5/24/2014 at 12:42 PM, cynicat said:

I found this unwatchable for a totally different reason. Antionette was like, you know, like, unable to like, talk, like you know a normal human, like, you know, being. She was like, annoyingly, like, you know, like vapid.

Now get off my lawn while I fire up the Atari.

I’m watching the rerun now, now and I’m like read to like slap like Antionette like upside her head.

And her idiot father, too.