Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Lady Calypso
  • Start Topic

On 9/26/2018 at 2:31 AM, weathered1 said:

Ryan Eggold

Let's be clear.  This is why I'm here.  I had to bail on him years ago because I just couldn't hack the levels of blood and gore on The Blacklist.  I like all of the actors and was happy to see Freema Agyeman, but I agree with the general consensus here that this series is soooo sweet.  Almost like a modern-day Little House on the Prairie.  I'm having a difficult time seeing how it's going to stand as a series.  Seems more like a Hallmark Channel movie.

That was certainly . . . earnest. The writing was often cloying and borderline abysmal - the incessant repetition of "How can I help?" was grating, but I imagine it would make for one hell of a drinking game. 

Cloying is an excellent adjective.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 7
On 9/26/2018 at 2:16 PM, luckyroll3 said:

Ryan Eggold has so taken on many of James Spader's/Raymond Reddington's mannerisms, such as the bird-like cocking his head to one side thing. 

Actually, I thought his mannerisms almost exactly mirrored George Clooney in ER. So much so, it was distracting as I imagined how he must have mainlined ER to prepare for this role. But maybe that’s also why I liked it, because I think I could watch both Tom Keene and Doug Ross all day every day. 

• Love 7

Damn, it's been a while since I've watched The Blacklist, but Tom Keene is taking this new undercover operation very seriously!  Kidding, of course.  While I'm being a completely lame cheeseball, I guess I can throw a "Martha Jones has become The Doctor!" joke while I'm at it!

Really getting some The Resident vibes, with the whole "taking care of the patients vs. taking care of the hospital" battle, complete with a workaholic hothead, who doesn't play by the rules and is willing to go to war against the administration and other bigwigs.  Only he has cancer!  Not sure if this show can really bring anything new to the table, but I'll stick with it for a few more episodes.  My only major concern is the obstacle between Janet Montgomery's character and Dr. "Burke from The Last Ship" being that he wants to marry a black woman (in order to avoid the black man always has a white girlfriend/wife that he saw as a child)  and doesn't believe he has a future with her.  That has the makings of an interesting plot, but I feel like that really, really has to be something that can be handled gracefully, and I do not see this show pulling that off.

Also, my memory if fuzzy, but wasn't there another show called New Amsterdam years ago?  I believed it starred Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, before he got his Jaime Lannister on.

Anyway, I'm prepared for the worst, but any show with Janet Montgomery, Freema Agyeman, Anupam Kher (he was excellent in The Big Sick), and the rest 

Spoiler

including apparently Ron Rifkin as the Dean in future episodes, because of course Arvin Sloane has got his slimy fingers in all pockets!

is worth giving it a few more chances.

• Love 4

I am going to keep watching because I love Ryan Eggold and Tyler Labine THAT much.   The show is ridiculously unrealistic and and working in social service the whole foster parent thing.  REALLY???  

How long did this episode span for?  There was a Farmer's Market set in place that quickly?  I mean is that a daily thing? Are all these vendors going every single day?   I wish this had been done a little bit more realistically and just forget about the doctors personal life. A lot of crime dramas avoid this and concentrate on the cases at hand and the shows turns out great. I cringe at the fact that I might have to listen to his wife complain about work/life balance.  He's always going to be running the fucking hospital - that's the premise of the show. So stop adding into it. 

Edited by IDreamofJoaquin
  • Love 1

Also, my memory if fuzzy, but wasn't there another show called New Amsterdam years ago?  I believed it starred Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, before he got his Jaime Lannister on.

Yes, I think it was about a NYC cop who had been blessed by an Indian many centuries before with immortality, and would only begin aging upon finding his true love. 

How long did this episode span for?  There was a Farmer's Market set in place that quickly?  I mean is that a daily thing? Are all these vendors going every single day?   I wish this had been done a little bit more realistically and just forget about the doctors personal life. A lot of crime dramas avoid this and concentrate on the cases at hand and the shows turns out great. I cringe at the fact that I might have to listen to his wife complain about work/life balance.  He's always going to be running the fucking hospital - that's the premise of the show. So stop adding into it. 

It really only could have been like two or three days.  He warned the celebrity doctor to return from her trip within 48 hours and was impressed that she actually came back towards the end of the episode.   

I just got around to watching this last night (DVR'd it so I could FF through commercials.)  I want to say a word about the doc's diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma.  In 1998, I had this diagnosis.  It was removed.  Gone for 20 years.  I was amused that a biopsy from the doc's throat - squamous cell carcinoma occurs on the skin - the outer layers of the dermis.  If not treated, they can spread to areas such as lymph nodes.  There is a very low risk of recurrence if the squamous cell carcinoma is removed early.  So my questions to the show's writers are this:  Did you do your research on this type of cancer, or pull it out of the air?  Did the doc in the book have this type of cancer?  Where do you intend to take this story line: - because if you are implying this is a possible death sentence, that he'll have to have chemotherapy, radiation, etc, that is just not how this type of cancer is treated. 

If I am wrong - mea culpa.  I don't consider myself a "cancer survivor" because it's the least serious, most easily treated and cured type of cancer diagnoses.

Everything about this show was just dumb, too many story lines, too many crises.  But I'm going to watch until we find out how the writers treat the doc's cancer.  This should be interesting.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Lostinthehouse said:

I was amused that a biopsy from the doc's throat - squamous cell carcinoma occurs on the skin - the outer layers of the dermis.

Squamous cell carcinoma can occur in any squamous cell, whether it's on the skin or the cells that line the hollow organs of the body, which include the lungs and digestive tracts.

SCC of the dermis is one of the more treatable skin cancers, and I am glad you are well.  However, this is not the case for SCCs located elsewhere.  SCC of the bladder, if not treated by radical surgery, in particular is very bad.

35 minutes ago, Lostinthehouse said:

Did the doc in the book have this type of cancer?

Yes, Dr. Manheimer also had throat cancer.  My memories of the book involve him getting radiation therapy (there's a scene where he undergoes getting a small tattoo with India ink so the tech will no where to aim the beam), but I don't remember if her had additional treatment beyond that.

• Love 1

xsoft-a-sound.jpg.pagespeed.ic.UoWhSBDFC

It wasn't perfect, but it was a great hour.

Most of that honour goes to Ryan Eggold, who was so charming and in control that, no matter what ridiculousness goes on at this hospital (and there was a lot of it), Eggold's Max Goodwin will be able to make sense of it all. Eggold truly commanded his presence, and I would say his performance alone is worth giving this show a very long look.

Of course, I think there's more to this than just Eggold. The characters look like they've got some depth and nuance that are just waiting to be explored, especially Drs. Kapoor, Bloom and Reynolds, in addition to Goodwin, who looks like your typical "will bite off more than he can chew". Yeah, Reynolds didn't get a good start with his overt racism, but the show seems to be hinting that there's actually something boiling under the surface, which could be interesting to explore.

Yeah, there were plenty of cliches- like, for example, the "resolution" montage where a soft song plays in the background- and I'm not sure what to make of Goodwin's cancer diagnosis (seems like a cheap way to give him drama, but it could work if played right), but I think this show has displayed enough to prove that it could develop into quite the show.

• Love 1

JFC, this show is just... not good.

The psychiatrist emotionally manipulating that girl to become a foster parent to an unstable violent teenager was the most disgusting thing ever. Who the hell does stuff like that? Plus the entire demonizing the foster system thing is so over the top it's crazy. So the foster system care is full of child molesters and abuser but an unprepared and unwilling young woman that has no idea what she's getting into is better than the psyche ward? What? WTF?!

Having both Ebola patient/terrorist and the UN summit patients at the same time at the same place was some major BS.

Oh, and the new head of Cardiology/Cardio-surgery/whatever is incredibly cliched character, and he did nothing of his job on screen. We had him and the ER Head having THREE relationship talks and TWO of them were about how he doesn't want to have kids with white women. Blergh.

The new Medical Director bludgeoning everyone into submission by being a controlling dick is the only realistic thing about this. And of course he has incurable illness or whatever (and his sister died in this very same hospital 30 years ago, OMFG, show, STOP!).

• Love 7
On 9/26/2018 at 8:51 AM, vibeology said:

I think when the one doctor asked for healthy food, he meant for the patients. How does a farmer's market help someone sitting in the ICU or the cardiac wing?

The large hospital with my HMO has been doing the Farmer's Market and community classes in conference rooms for years.. It is just a different ideal, especially for the drama of TV where all health care is boiled down to the trauma in emergency and then the surgeon cutting someone open.

• Love 3

This show feels like its trying to be The resident but is lacking in a likeable supporting cast. Lead doc isn't bad but he has way too much plot piled on him. I liked the black cardio surgeon but he just feels like another Benton, Pratt, Burke and many other uptight black male doctors before him. I might give it another episode if I'm bored but I don't see this lasting the season as is.

I had high hopes for this show (maybe my standards/expectations are too high) but I was a bit disappointed with the storyline,dialogue and some of the actors.   I'll give it another few weeks (this was my alternate to The Resident--which has begun to go off the rails) so I don't know; may be back to The Resident.   Will be interesting to see how they handle the doctor's cancer, i.e., will it drag on as a secret, will he seek attention or as another poster mentioned, will he find a cure?   Not saying to check your brain at the door or that viewers aren't smart, but I imagine as with any/most programs today, you have to simply look at it as entertainment value; otherwise, you'll drive yourself crazy looking at all the faults instead of just trying to enjoy the show for what it is.

On 9/29/2018 at 11:02 AM, Lostinthehouse said:

I just got around to watching this last night (DVR'd it so I could FF through commercials.)  I want to say a word about the doc's diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma.  In 1998, I had this diagnosis.  It was removed.  Gone for 20 years.  I was amused that a biopsy from the doc's throat - squamous cell carcinoma occurs on the skin - the outer layers of the dermis.  If not treated, they can spread to areas such as lymph nodes.  There is a very low risk of recurrence if the squamous cell carcinoma is removed early.  So my questions to the show's writers are this:  Did you do your research on this type of cancer, or pull it out of the air?  Did the doc in the book have this type of cancer?  Where do you intend to take this story line: - because if you are implying this is a possible death sentence, that he'll have to have chemotherapy, radiation, etc, that is just not how this type of cancer is treated. 

If I am wrong - mea culpa.  I don't consider myself a "cancer survivor" because it's the least serious, most easily treated and cured type of cancer diagnoses.

Everything about this show was just dumb, too many story lines, too many crises.  But I'm going to watch until we find out how the writers treat the doc's cancer.  This should be interesting.

I've had a low stage melanoma, so I had researched all the skin carcinomas in the past (with my science degree in hand).  I looked into squamous cell carcinoma again after this episode, because -- WHAT? My understanding that it was among the most curable of many cancers was confirmed.  The only case where it's difficult to treat is if it's in the organs and clearly, they weren't biopsing his organs).  I don't know if the original doctor had this cancer, but they turn a whole bunch of smart people off by using it as their boogie man in this show.

And BTW, the author of the original book is still alive, and is a producer on this show.  So more than likely he did have squamous cell carcinoma and the writers were too naive to actually research what it is and what its outcome is.  He seems to be doing fine, although I'll bet he has a nasty scar somewhere.

NA is a more boring Grey's Anatomy.  At least Grey's bad cases were hard to research.

TV...::smh:: sigh.

I'll likely keep watching until Fillion's new show goes up against it.  Prayers that The Rookie will be a better show, although having Mark Gordon behind it is worrisome.

Edited by TWP
4 hours ago, TWP said:

I've had a low stage melanoma, so I had researched all the skin carcinomas in the past (with my science degree in hand).  I looked into squamous cell carcinoma again after this episode, because -- WHAT? My understanding that it was among the most curable of many cancers was confirmed.  The only case where it's difficult to treat is if it's in the organs and clearly, they weren't biopsing his organs).  I don't know if the original doctor had this cancer, but they turn a whole bunch of smart people off by using it as their boogie man in this show.

And BTW, the author of the original book is still alive, and is a producer on this show.  So more than likely he did have squamous cell carcinoma and the writers were too naive to actually research what it is and what its outcome is.  He seems to be doing fine, although I'll bet he has a nasty scar somewhere.

NA is a more boring Grey's Anatomy.  At least Grey's bad cases were hard to research.

TV...::smh:: sigh.

I'll likely keep watching until Fillion's new show goes up against it.  Prayers that The Rookie will be a better show, although having Mark Gordon behind it is worrisome.

He has a squamous carcinoma of his throat.  It behaves very differently than a squamous carcinoma of the skin.  Squamous cells are the flat cells that cover many of the surfaces of the body, inside and out.  The inside of the mouth and throat are covered with squamous cells as a woman's vagina and cervix.  You cannot compare a squamous carcinoma of the skin to one in the throat.  Totally different behavior and risks.

Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck is usually treated with radiation therapy rather than surgery which is the norm for skin cancer.  Throat cancer is also more likely to spread to the lymph nodes which is part of the reason it is more dangerous than skin cancer which usually takes years and years to go to the lymph nodes in the squamous cell form.  That's why the prognosis for throat cancer isn't nearly as good.  First, they need to figure out the staging of the tumor, how big it is, how deeply it invades the tissue, whether it is in the lymph nodes.  Stage 1 head and neck cancers have a 90% survival at 5 years  Stage 1 squamous cell skin cancers are about 97% curable and the vast majority of skin cancers are Stage 1, while head and neck cancers are often found in later stages.

The doc who wrote the book on which the show is based didn't have skin cancer; he had throat cancer and received radiation therapy for it; so the show is actually telling the same story as the book to this point.

• Love 4

Call me crazy but I liked it. I’m not exactly sure WHY I like it but I do. I mean, is it realistic? No of course not. But it’s funny. And earnest. And all sorts of other things. And I like the cast.

but is there a rule somewhere that all psychiatrists at a hospital have to be overweight and wear plaid shirts? And think they can fix everything? For s minute I thought he was a relative of Dr. Charles from Chicago med. ?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Happywatcher said:

This is NOT a reboot of the fun New York vampire/cop show. Viewer beware

Yeah, that was actually kinda fun and entertaining.  I don't think many people would mistake this one for it.

• Love 2

We soooo would have gotten the full scene with Ryan Eggold's character "talking" to the spirit of his dead sister and pretending to show her the sonogram of her unborn niece if this was This Is Us. Hell, at this point, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts actually seeing a ghost manifestation of her. They're already doing something like that on The Good Doctor.

On 9/27/2018 at 12:26 AM, Emma9 said:

The promos made it seem like a carbon copy of The Resident, and the episode did nothing to correct that notion: it's a war between The Caring Doctors Who Want To Help Patients and Teh Evul Money-Grubbers, with no shades of grey. Chicago Med does a lot of this as well.

The Night Shift does little else. Because war, I think. (Is The Night Shift even still on, or did someone come to his or her senses?)

On 10/1/2018 at 12:42 AM, LittleIggy said:

Since “Night Shift” is gone, this series can take its place for me. Max can be the new TC.

Oh. Yeah, thanks, but no. One Tragic Consequences was plenty.

• Love 1
On 10/3/2018 at 3:44 PM, doodlebug said:

He has a squamous carcinoma of his throat.  It behaves very differently than a squamous carcinoma of the skin.  Squamous cells are the flat cells that cover many of the surfaces of the body, inside and out.  The inside of the mouth and throat are covered with squamous cells as a woman's vagina and cervix.  You cannot compare a squamous carcinoma of the skin to one in the throat.  Totally different behavior and risks.

Squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck is usually treated with radiation therapy rather than surgery which is the norm for skin cancer.  Throat cancer is also more likely to spread to the lymph nodes which is part of the reason it is more dangerous than skin cancer which usually takes years and years to go to the lymph nodes in the squamous cell form.  That's why the prognosis for throat cancer isn't nearly as good.  First, they need to figure out the staging of the tumor, how big it is, how deeply it invades the tissue, whether it is in the lymph nodes.  Stage 1 head and neck cancers have a 90% survival at 5 years  Stage 1 squamous cell skin cancers are about 97% curable and the vast majority of skin cancers are Stage 1, while head and neck cancers are often found in later stages.

The doc who wrote the book on which the show is based didn't have skin cancer; he had throat cancer and received radiation therapy for it; so the show is actually telling the same story as the book to this point'

i'm glad you clarified that he has squamous cell of the throat. i only heard he has squamous cell cancer.  i've been going 'what the heck' as i have it of the skin and was thinking the writers didn't do any research.

On 29/09/2018 at 10:37 PM, toodywoody said:

I'm in. Damn I loved it. Been wanting an ER replacement since it went off the air.

I would really enjoy ER 2.0, but this show seems too extra to compare. ER pushed into cheesy territory on occasion, but this episode lived in that territory. The clapping at the end ensured I would skip Episode 2. It wasn't awful, but they should have hired one cynical writer just to keep the cheesiness of this writer team in check.

• Love 1

I'm only REstarting new amsterdam now because a tried to watch it a couple years ago and literally got 8 mins in before i turned it off. Sorry but i have to wonder why they give these doctors these personalities. Truly painful. Im addicted to medical dramas though so im not gnna pretend like im not going to finish it this time round lol.

4 hours ago, tte said:

I'm only REstarting new amsterdam now because a tried to watch it a couple years ago and literally got 8 mins in before i turned it off. Sorry but i have to wonder why they give these doctors these personalities. Truly painful. Im addicted to medical dramas though so im not gnna pretend like im not going to finish it this time round lol.

well I hope you enjoy my worst doctor posts... whenever I started to post those :P

you'll have to quote me when you do my first one, I think it was last season 2