Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

Season 17 Discussion

Episode 1:

"Married... With Cancer"

Brian meets and quickly falls in love with a woman named Jess, who reveals she has cancer. After she receives devastating news regarding her diagnosis, Brian proposes marriage to her.

Airs September 30, 2018.

• Like 1

Well, this show had it right when it came to Kanye. What they showed was still less ridiculous than what happened in the past 24 hours.

I don't know how to feel Quagmire holding a bachelor party for Brian. Seemed too sudden and nothing ever comes from that.

Of course Brian's new love had to not die from cancer, and of course Brian had to revert to his terrible self after the wedding. And of course she dies anyway (then springing back to life), so...yay?

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:05 PM, OnceSane said:

"Married... With Cancer"

Brian meets and quickly falls in love with a woman named Jess, who reveals she has cancer. After she receives devastating news regarding her diagnosis, Brian proposes marriage to her.

NAILED IT!

I'm kinda disappointed we never saw Quagmire's epic bachelor party, but then again, maybe it's best left to our imaginations.

Of course, Jess had to recover from her deathbed and reverted to her true form: fat and flatulent.

As soon as Brian wished she were still alive at the funeral, I figured she'd come back, and yep... I wonder if she'll ask him why he let her choke to death on those nachos?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Well, this show had it right when it came to Kanye. What they showed was still less ridiculous than what happened in the past 24 hours.

It's nice that Jay Pharoah has become their go-to guy when they want to have Kanye be on the show, he's done it a couple times now. 

• Like 1

I stopped watching FG a year ago, after literally never missing an episode until then.  Came back to check in with this premiere and YIKES.  I'll think twice before trying that again.  It really reminded me why I stopped, and is a great example of why shows should not run too long.  The cultural context has changed completely around FG, in a way that truly makes it no longer funny.  Their humor used to play as edgy and transgressive, now it's just toxic and ugly.

That being said, I did love the callback bit with the super and the studio audience reactions.

Edited by JyDanzig
  • Like 1

I don't know why they weirdly switched to the studio audience. I know Brian's a terrible character, and I never really cared, but she got obnoxious really fast. 

The sight gag with the ads was funny.

So are they going to continue the plot? It just sort of ended. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 8:10 PM, ganesh said:

I don't know why they weirdly switched to the studio audience. I know Brian's a terrible character, and I never really cared, but she got obnoxious really fast. 

The sight gag with the ads was funny.

So are they going to continue the plot? It just sort of ended. 

Part 2 airs Sunday.

• Like 1

Anyone else fully expecting Brian to orchestrate Jess' murder next episode? If this wasn't a two episode arc I'd expect he would have done that already. After investing in a company that uses dog meat to make protein shakes I find absolutely nothing redeemable about Brian anymore and fully expect him to do the most disgusting thing possible.

• Like 1

Episode 2:

"Dead Dog Walking"

Brian's marriage to Jess is not what he envisioned, especially after her miraculous recovery from cancer. At the suggestion of Peter, Brian lets himself go, causing Jess to make a surprising decision.

Airs October 7, 2018.

Wasn't expecting a part two to last week. I thought this one was better. Brian needs to be more miserable, since karma is such a bitch. A Mr. Creosate reference was something I wasn't expecting, and just as gross as the real thing. Brian should've been fatter in that scene. Same went with the One Froggy Evening spoof, I loved that one. He even croaked like Michigan J. Frog, too.

"If you kill me, the internet will freak out." Yeah...not again. And so Jess finally died for real over the commercial and unceremoniously emptied out of the door, who cares.

So...Stewie vapes now. Yeah.

• Like 3

Honestly, trying to open the doggy bag is something I do almost every day. I like when they have Brian do "dog" things. I'm glad my town has a no-kill shelter. 

This episode had a lot of good gags and a bunch going on. I liked how it they made it such a douchebag thing. Because it is. 

The whole Al Pacino coffee maker joke was dumb and I laughed every time. 

The whole previously on... was funny. I thought the vape plot was actually the best part of the episode. 

• Like 3

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, OnceSane said:

"Dead Dog Walking"

Brian's marriage to Jess is not what he envisioned, especially after her miraculous recovery from cancer. At the suggestion of Peter, Brian lets himself go, causing Jess to make a surprising decision

• Hey, Jess asked him why he let her choke to death on those nachos!
  • I got a good laugh out the series of "previouslies..."
  • "If you kill me, the internet will freak out". NOT!
  • Hey, a Michigan J Frog reference!
  • Like 3

Episode 3:

"Pal Stewie"

To Stewie's surprise, he quickly befriends a boy his age, but is devastated when he realizes he isn't invited to his birthday party. Meanwhile, Peter and Lois attend a self-empowerment seminar.

Airs October 14, 2018.

• Like 1

I'll admit I laughed at alcoholic Lois.

Tony Robbins possessing Peter's car is definitely one of the weirder premises. I miss the time when he ate Peter like a snake.

I did like the storyline wit Hudson. And of course Brian had to be awful and screw everything up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galileo908 said:

I'll admit I laughed at alcoholic Lois.

They need to do this more. Bush vodka. 

They haven't dug into the evil Stewie well in a while. I did like how he was doing the evil Stewie and baby things for this plot. 

I did crack up at them totally losing it over SNL. 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, OnceSane said:

"Pal Stewie".

To Stewie's surprise, he quickly befriends a boy his age, but is devastated when he realizes he isn't invited to his birthday party. Meanwhile, Peter and Lois attend a self-empowerment seminar.

• I should have known it was a lost invitation to Hudson's party, thanks to Brian.
  • Where they going somewhere with alcoholic Lois and her "bush vodka"?

Episode 4:

"Big Trouble in Little Quahog"

After Brian teases Stewie for being small, Stewie invents a shrinking machine that results in both of them shrinking to a microscopic size.

Airs October 21, 2018.

So it looks like the return of Evil Stewie wasn't a one time thing. I liked all the tiny stuff.

You know damn well Adam West would've been a water bear if he was still alive. Patrick Stewart was still great.

I loved that Brian hears Gilbert Gottfried when someone blows a dog whistle, and the weird wormhole with Prince and Alan Thicke. I even liked the weird cutaway with Jean-Claude van Damme.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ganesh said:

What movie was that from? 

It's from Kickboxer

I was just wondering if the exterminator reminded anyone else of Steve Holt from Arrested Development after he becomes an exterminator. 

On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 2:34 PM, OnceSane said:

"Big Trouble in Little Quahog"

After Brian teases Stewie for being small, Stewie invents a shrinking machine that results in both of them shrinking to a microscopic size.

I thought this could have been better but am not sure how I'd have done it. The argument about the "tiny" button and the tiny button was pretty funny, tho.

Episode 5:

"Regarding Carter"

Lois receives a surprising birthday present from her father, Carter Pewterschmidt, that leads to an unfortunate accident leaving him dependent on Lois and the Griffin's care.

Airs November 4, 2018.

I love how the entire opening was just the intro to Peter's standup special, and how they kept giving everyone Netflix comedy specials (Cleveland's was my favorite). 

Ha, rip on The Orville. And here I though the gag was that everyone thought it was going to be a comedy but it wasn't, and not that Seth can't do Family Guy. It's for the best, he's had other things besides this show on his mind for years. Also loved the end with the American Dad shout out. Yeah...9:30 is the new Fox Sunday death slot.

Not wearing black jeans at a Rush concert is such an oddly specific stereotype, and that Mad Men cutaway was weird as hell, but I laughed at it. Speaking of which, I got a weird laugh out of Peter beating a brain-damaged Carter at Mario Kart. I also loved that weird Shaq cutaway. I hope that was actually him being indignant how everything can't be Superman.

• Like 1

I love how the entire opening was just the intro to Peter's standup special, and how they kept giving everyone Netflix comedy specials (Cleveland's was my favorite). 

I actually watch tons of standup on Netflix while I'm doing chores, and it was spot on with the list. 

The adoption papers and the Rush joke killed me too. This actually had a lot of funny cutaways. 

"We don't need a show to talk about the show!" Tell AMC! I thought Alicia Keyes was her real name. 

The whole Hill Streets Blues was so stupid and I was just dying. 

The Orville previews look good!

Edited by ganesh

Also loved the end with the American Dad shout out. Yeah...9:30 is the new Fox Sunday death slot.

And when they hit the credits, "Stay tuned for an all new REL!" Burn. 

Ironic though that Sinbad was in fact on American Dad. 

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:57 PM, OnceSane said:

"Regarding Carter"

Lois receives a surprising birthday present from her father, Carter Pewterschmidt, that leads to an unfortunate accident leaving him dependent on Lois and the Griffin's care.

This ep didn't seem very coherent to me, for some reason, but I laughed WAY more than I should at Trisha's joke several seconds later.

OK, I also laughed at Joe being giddy about hearing another cripple nearby.

What was the deal with the running jokes? Odd.

Wait, wasn't there a movie with this title?

On 11/4/2018 at 9:36 PM, M. Darcy said:

What was with all the KITH smack talk?  That almost seemed like the manatees and their idea balls. 

Because they deserve it? They were never really funny and they pretty much nailed them in one shot.

20 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Oh! Was it me or was there a part of this ep which stuttered when Lois and Peter said something about a company buying vines?

Vine is an app that lets you make 6 second videos and post them online. The stutter was the 6 second loop of that part of the show like a Vine would do. It plays over and over until you stop it.

Episode 6:

"Stand by Meg"

After Meg saves Stewie from a choking incident, Stewie makes it his personal mission to create a better life for Meg. Meanwhile, Chris is sent to a vocational school.

Airs November 11, 2018.

Oh look, another episode full of Italian jokes. And another episode of Stewie loving a family member because they saved his life, this time it was Meg. Even when Stewie tries to help her out, it STILL manages to not go well for her.

Loved that whole bit with the Michelin Man. "That was silly, but it's still murder."

That Basic Instinct bit was...wow. That was all kinds of terrible.

The fast forward of the ending was clever, but it's just another sign that the writers just don't care about these stories.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 7:06 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Wait, wasn't there a movie with this title?

I thought it was referencing Regarding Henry starring Harrison Ford.

I've been having a hard time getting into the episodes lately.

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:22 PM, OnceSane said:

"Stand by Meg".

After Meg saves Stewie from a choking incident, Stewie makes it his personal mission to create a better life for Meg. Meanwhile, Chris is sent to a vocational school.

This ep wasn't particularly interesting, but I did laugh more than I should at the "zinger knocking your hat off" running gag and the bread sandwich bit ending with Stewie asking how someone at the closed store could answer the phone when Chris called them.

Episode 7:

"The Griffin Winter Games"

To the surprise of all the Griffins, Meg makes the U.S. Olympic team as a biathlete and competes in the Winter Olympics.

Airs November 18, 2018.

I always like it when shows insert characters in clips where they clearly weren't there. I can't believe they brought back Lacey Chabert for that one flashback, and then actually competing against Meg, that was actually great. Speaking of voice over cameos, I liked that they actually mentioned Josh Robert Thompson by name. He's the go-to guy for Morgan Freeman impressions.

I got a good laugh out of the NY Knicks cutaway, and the Oksana Baiul cutaway just seemed like classic Family Guy. I also liked that Goldeneye 64 bit. "This is what 1997 looked like" indeed.

• Like 3

Nice to see Meg actually excel at something. Personally, she should have just let Peter rot in North Korea for the way he's treated her, but still nice that she was able to do a bad ass rescue.

Yeah Lois would apologize for the way they've treated her this week. How about the way they've treated her whole life?!

• Like 2

and the Oksana Baiul cutaway just seemed like classic Family Guy.

So tasteless and perfect. I was all delighted because I thought it was Patrick Stewart voicing Gandalf and then lost it. She was on skates too.

The voice overs killed me too. 

A batman fight with gay words was probably better than Gandalf.

I would have just raced the race if I were Meg though. 

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, OnceSane said:

"The Griffin Winter Games"

To the surprise of all the Griffins, Meg makes the U.S. Olympic team as a biathlete and competes in the Winter Olympics.

It had some good parts, but I thought they already mined the Korea jokes when they went looking for the last ep of the soap opera Quagmire was in. I loved that they brought in Lacey for the flashback and had her in the race. I wondered why it was so urgent that Meg rescue Peter, until he was arbitrariliy put in front of a firing squad. North Korea sucks, but I don;lt think they do that to  Americans.

Is there any reason they did a Winter Olympics related episode 9 months after the actual Olympics in South Korea? Was this originally supposed to air this past winter?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AAEBoiler said:

Is there any reason they did a Winter Olympics related episode 9 months after the actual Olympics in South Korea? Was this originally supposed to air this past winter?

Yeah, I did wonder about that.

17 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

I always like it when shows insert characters in clips where they clearly weren't there. I can't believe they brought back Lacey Chabert for that one flashback, and then actually competing against Meg, that was actually great. Speaking of voice over cameos, I liked that they actually mentioned Josh Robert Thompson by name. He's the go-to guy for Morgan Freeman impressions.

Dumb question, but did you see their names in the closing credits? I am sure Lacey's wasn't there.

Edited by Ubiquitous · Reason: Grammar

4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Dumb question, but did you see their names in the closing credits? I am sure Lacey's wasn't there.

I looked it up on IMDB, and it looks like she was uncredited.