Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Together - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

This has turned into a cute show, but Cooper being there just seems unnecessary now, and defeats the whole premise of the show.

You would think they would need some kind of security with all the rabid fans and the stalker paparazzi. They wouldn't be able to see where they were going in the house with all the camera flash bulbs going off in the windows. There was only one small scene about the paparazzi and one small scene about how fans react (not including the parents).

15 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

You would think they would need some kind of security with all the rabid fans and the stalker paparazzi. They wouldn't be able to see where they were going in the house with all the camera flash bulbs going off in the windows. There was only one small scene about the paparazzi and one small scene about how fans react (not including the parents).

This show was supposed to be based on Harry Styles when he lived in his friend's house and he supposedly did some ninja moves to avoid the paparazzi. 

But Cooper just seems to come and go at will. 

I hope they don't get rid of him but they need to give him storylines.

3 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

But Cooper just seems to come and go at will. 

I hope they don't get rid of him but they need to give him storylines.

With the wife being super duper pregnant (during filming, already had baby in real life) the boys are going to have to step up their game.

• Love 1

I've never seen Damon Wayans Jr before, so this show is a great find. He is hilarious, just like his dad. The "natural" pose tonight...lol. And the matching retainers, ha.

And I'm so happy to see Deacon again, and Stephnie Weir!

"That's not just muscle juice leaking out?"

I hope this show sticks around.

• Love 1

I liked that Cooper kept buying out all these venues just to show his date a movie and Claire says "Could it be that he just doesn't know about movie theaters?" LOL. 

I didn't get what the big to-do was about for Bonnie at the restaurant - was it her birthday or their anniversary? I liked Jake and Claire coming to the realization that they didn't need to make a lot of grand gestures if they just did nice, ordinary things for each other on the regular. Like filling the gas tank.

Great physical comedy, as always, by DWJ with the limp arms.

I can't believe the ratings for this show are lower than The Neighborhood. That drivel is unwatchable.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I can't believe the ratings for this show are lower than The Neighborhood. That drivel is unwatchable.

That's because CBS keep pushing The Neighborhood but the commercials for this show is like "Yeah. Whatever. This is on after The Neighborhood. Watch The Neighborhood."

Makes me mad. It's like they don't want it to succeed.

• Love 1

I continue to like this show, but does nobody on the writing staff understand how tattoos work? Maybe in some cases, you can have an artist just freehand a design on you, but usually there's a template that's created to place on the skin so that the needle knows what to follow. Also, you don't cover a fresh tattoo with bandages and a band-aid!!! Lol, no wonder it got infected. Jake probably didn't follow his after-care instructions either.  I did love the reveal of how small it was, though. I feel like I should've seen that coming. I was actually expecting a big tattoo with Claire misspelled or something.

Still finding Cooper kind of irrelevant, but at least he helped spark the plot for this episode.

Also...Damon Wayans, Jr.'s arms. Yum.

• Love 1
On 11/6/2018 at 3:45 PM, Snow Apple said:

That's because CBS keep pushing The Neighborhood but the commercials for this show is like "Yeah. Whatever. This is on after The Neighborhood. Watch The Neighborhood."

Makes me mad. It's like they don't want it to succeed.

I disagree I find The Neighborhood funnier. And I don't find this show living up to it's full potential. They barely do anything with the fact that Cooper is an international popstar. I'm basically watching a regular family sitcom.  Now I do find myself laughing more than the earlier episodes though.  But Mallard is the weakest link on the show. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Chas411 said:

I just don't think they know how to address it until next season when they just write him off

Sadly I have a feeling this may be cancelled soon so there may not be a second season. I hope I'm wrong as this is one of the few shows I look forward to each week.

• Love 1

I know they haven't done a whole lot with Cooper, but he is supposed to be laying low. The theme seems to be that Claire and Jake try to live up to the pop star's life and then discover that their own ways are best for them. But now, Cooper seems to be a bit influenced by them, commenting on their nice, quiet lives. I think it's a valid dynamic but agree they need to step up his involvement a little more (even though it's been getting somewhat better) -- maybe find some twist to add in. If they wrote him off, they'd need a different catalyst. At this point, I just hope the show survives somehow.

• Love 1

Oh no, why do you guys think the show might be canceled? I haven't seen any info on ratings so I don't know if it's doing well or not, but I really enjoy it! I feel like it's starting to gel really nicely. The Cooper character started really weak to me but he's gotten better in recent episodes. I still feel like the premise overall is going to be difficult to maintain though. 

Damon Wayans Jr is a joy. Even when he does something predictable, like last night, I saw all the falling gags he did coming, but I still laughed like a maniac! He sells and commits to everything! He and Amber work really nicely together, and I've really started to like what her parents bring each episode. 

Please - no to a cancellation. The Neighborhood just isn't as funny to me. 

Oh no, why do you guys think the show might be canceled?

Ratings are significantly lower than its lead-in, The Neighborhood, and CBS has yet to give it a full season pick-up order. That's bad news. 

I thought this last episode was pretty weak, actually - the flashback scenes just seemed really unoriginal and trite. I think the writing on this show can be rather pedestrian, and it relies on the actors making the material work. 

• Love 1

The last episode started out great because it looked as if Cooper was getting his own plot - his flustered hair toss made me laugh. I did not mind the flashbacks with their expected Rashomon take on things but they took up too much of the episode. And as someone who has seen plenty of bad injuries due to black ice I found those scenes only mildly entertaining. This is a charming show and I love everybody but they should really start to make good on the initial premise or admit that it's not working, send Cooper on his merry way and turn this in your standard sitcom about a young couple trying to navigate marriage.

I feel like it could work if they'd use Cooper a bit more and have him interact with the rest more. Despite the fat shaming, I liked that the exercise episode plot had them all interacting with each other. Most episodes are Cooper says something and disappears. Married people second guess themselves situation. They go crazy. They work it out in the end.  Cooper reappears. Mix it up a bit. Have Cooper and Claire spend the day hanging out while Jake is at work. Have Cooper help Jake fix something in the house. Have Jake and Cooper go to Home Depot. Have Cooper hanging out at the house when Claire's parents awkwardly show up and try to engage with him (or he spends the day answering their weird questions). Maybe since we're coming into the holidays it can go someplace?  

• Love 7

I'm really enjoying this show  Jake and Claire have a real spark between them, and play well off of each other.  Her parents are more than a little off-the-wall, but last night's episode helped explain that a little.

Cooper and his manager have their moments.  Overall the cast works well together.  I'll be sad if the show isn't picked up for a whole season.

Plus, I was an accountant, so there's that connection with Jake for me. :-)

This last episode was the best I've seen but . . . was it a repeat? Am I experiencing a severe case of deja vu, or didn't we already see Bonnie and Gerald dropped off by cops at Jake and Claire's house in a previous episode, where they again described it as "free Uber?" Or did I just see that in a promo spot or something? So weird. 

The Johnstons were hysterical with their serious, non-blinking eyes. "Are you sucking my soul out of me?"

CBS Winter Comedy Schedule: ‘Fam’ & ‘Man With a Plan’ Get Slots, No Back Order For ‘Happy Together’, ‘Life In Pieces’ MIA

For Happy Together, starring Damon Wayans Jr., CBS has opted not to order additional episodes beyond the original 13. Per CBS’ standard MO the past few years, the comedy is not canceled and will remain in contention for next season.

Not officially cancelled, but no back order is a bad sign and will almost certainly mean cancellation.

12 hours ago, paulvdb said:

CBS Winter Comedy Schedule: ‘Fam’ & ‘Man With a Plan’ Get Slots, No Back Order For ‘Happy Together’, ‘Life In Pieces’ MIA

But this sounds a bit hopeful:

While Happy Together has underperformed in the ratings, it stars a sought-after comedy talent in Wayans Jr. and comes from Late Late Show producer Fulwell 73. What’s more, because of co-lead Amber Stevens West’s pregnancy, the series rushed production on the first six episodes. In the most recent Episodes 7 and 8, ratings have gone up, with the eighth episode logging the comedy’s best Live+same day total viewer and adults 18-49 numbers since Episode 3.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

My DVR says that Happy Together is coming on this Saturday at 8:30. Not sure if it is true.

Damon Wayans Jr. should shave his head and take over his father's job on Lethal Weapon.

It's a rerun on Saturday and a new episode on Monday. Since Saturdays are slow tv days, hopefully viewers will want to relax and check out sitcoms and discover this funny show. Hopefully there'll be a better chance of it coming back next season.

And yes, I often confuse Jr. with Sr.

In my mind, 30 years haven't passed by. LOL.

Edited by Snow Apple

I'm so bummed this show is likely cancelled. I wonder if the premise with the singer just threw people off. I don't mind the actor but think the show would be just fine focusing on the couple and their parents. It's such a fun, quiet show with great talent.

As I watched last night, I realized this show might've been a better fit on ABC rather than CBS. So if CBS decides not to renew, I hope another studio picks it up. I'm thinking about either their Tuesday or Wednesday night comedy block, I think this show would fit in nicely. It would also be a nice callback to Sr's time on 'My Wife and Kids'. Make it so, ABC. 

• Love 1

Still enjoying this show so much. Damon Wayans Jr. is, well, adorable. Loved that Claire finally came around and offered the support Jake needed. It was a little hard to believe that she didn't get it with him telling her outright, but I loved the scene with her holding up signs during his presentation. And Jake got to use the rock-star encore move after all! Cooper's story was really good; sweet that his mom was able to sort him out.

• Love 5

Another fun episode. I laughed out loud a lot. I like the evolution of Jake and Claire being a bit star-struck by Cooper and trying to emulate him/his life to him being a little more like a family member. Claire's parents still crack me up. I mean, DUIs aren't funny, but I laughed when Bonnie said they couldn't go to the store because they wanted to avoid a potential DUI. Claire being a secret cookie eater (and the description of her hunched over the sink, scarfing them down) cracked me up, as did Jake jumping on Nightmare (and announcing the surprise attack first).

I guess the ratings were improving a bit recently. I hope that has continued and/or is enough for another season.

• Love 2

Both The Neighbors and Happy Together had security cameras as their plot-line, though used differently, thankfully.

Amber Stevens looked very pregnant in at least 2 episode they showed a few weeks ago, despite her use of pillow, purses, and billowy tops to try and hide it.  Since she had the baby at the beginning of October, they are either showing the episodes out of order, or they are now showing episodes filmed after the delivery (since the last episode had no sign of recent pregnancy.)

• Love 1

I just love the running gag that Jake and Claire eat junk all the time-- even the opening credits have Claire eating a bowl of popcorn with M&Ms in it. It's almost refreshing to have a couple that enjoys their unhealthy food. Although breaking the cheese puffs into dust and licking it off her fingers was pretty unappealing (maybe just dump it directly into your mouth?).

This is a cute, sweet show that still has some adult humor thrown in. I hope it gets renewed.

• Love 5

My favorite part was Claire's parents running away from the security cameras when they heard the alarm and the dogs. But I also got a big kick out of the stalker after Claire realized who/what she was and Jake was sitting there enjoying her omelet. 

Oh, man - cancel bear has rated this "dead show walking" - all but cancelled.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Oh, man - cancel bear has rated this "dead show walking" - all but cancelled.

Very disappointing. I feel like the show could really gain a steady and solid audience with a little more time which tv executives just don't do anymore. I'll continue to enjoy it while we can, and keep hoping for a renewal. 

• Love 5

I don't approve of this in real life but I laughed at Claire's parents scamming for a free meal for themselves and their "blind son."

I guess this is the last episode? Claire opening her own business is a good way to end it. Cooper investing means there's a reason for him to stay in their lives. And there'll be stories if the show manages to come back.

• Love 1
On 12/12/2018 at 4:35 AM, AnimeMania said:

I couldn't believe how short Katherine McNamara (Sara the Stalker) was. From all the other shows I have seen her on, I thought she was incredibly tall.

5' 5" is IMDb is correct.

4 hours ago, UnknownK said:
On 12/12/2018 at 4:35 AM, AnimeMania said:

I couldn't believe how short Katherine McNamara (Sara the Stalker) was. From all the other shows I have seen her on, I thought she was incredibly tall.

5' 5" is IMDb is correct.

All the monsters and demons that she fights on Shadowhunters must be a Pekingese in a rubber suit. Who knew?!!!

This is such a cute little show I'm really going to miss it. I loved when Jake was doing his little pantomime routine about the guy whose car Claire wanted to leave a note on coming back to murder her. Amber West totally broke up during that. There was a quick cutaway but you can see her breaking up right before the edit.

• Love 4
On 1/8/2019 at 12:42 PM, iMonrey said:

This is such a cute little show I'm really going to miss it.  

Has it officially been announced as being cancelled? I know it hasn't been picked up for the "back 9" yet and the last of its 13 episodes airs next week.

If it does get cancelled that would be a shame, as I think it's a better show overall than "The Neighborhood" which seems to be doing better in the ratings.