Type keyword(s) to search

Happy Together - General Discussion

• Start Topic

This show was entertaining, and I genuinely laughed several times. (The Boyz II Men-themed couple's message!) Damon Wayans Jr always has superb comedic timing, and the actress playing Claire seemed to have it down too. I was so excited to see Deacon from King of Queens. The fact that the show is based on a true story gives things a cute twist. 

Edited by CoolWhipLite
  • Love 5

Deacon! I knew he looked familiar. Now I just need to figure out where I've seen the mom from.

I liked the show so far. Just a fun show that you can relax to and don't have to think too much about. Just what I need after work on a Monday.

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Snow Apple said:

Deacon! I knew he looked familiar. Now I just need to figure out where I've seen the mom from.

I liked the show so far. Just a fun show that you can relax to and don't have to think too much about. Just what I need after work on a Monday.

I believe she was on The Carmichael Show or looks and sounds eerily like that actress...

The girl who plays Claire had a starring role on the show “Greek” which was on ABC Family years ago. She is also the daughter of Shadoe Stevens, who was a radio host and tv personality from the 80’s or somewhere thereabouts. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Mom was on MAD TV.

• Love 2

I actually found this to be a sweet little show. I liked that the superstar kid wasn't portrayed as a bratty, entitled, drunken mess. And I genuinely LOL'd when the bodyguard picked up Damon while he was dancing.

• Love 5

I actually liked this.  Not typically a fan of the CBS brand comedies, but i thought  Amber Stevens-West and Damon Wayans jr have such charming chemistry and both have good, natural comedic timing.   I've loved him since Happy Endings and her since Greek.  And it tickles me she actually married her on screen BF Fisher  from Greek (Andrew West) in real life..  I actually laughed a couple times (Jake dancing, the human Alexa).  Also thought their message song was clever.  And Amber has a great singing voice.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, PortaBella said:

The girl who plays Claire had a starring role on the show “Greek” which was on ABC Family years ago. She is also the daughter of Shadoe Stevens, who was a radio host and tv personality from the 80’s or somewhere thereabouts. 

Wow, I haven't heard the name Shadoe Stevens in AGES. I also did not know he married a Black woman, she is gorgeous. And hehe, I saw a pic of them from back in the 90s I think, and as a female myself, dayum hunni she was rockin those tatas, I am not mad! 

I did enjoy it for what it is, a nice family comedy. And I do love that they embrace their goofiness as a couple, they are really cute together. As y'all have already said, Jr has great timing and Amber Stevens is doing very well opposite him. I'm actually really interested in them as a couple more than the pop star kid's story so I hope they keep them closer to the forefront story wise. 

• Love 1
On 10/2/2018 at 8:29 PM, Badsamaritan said:

Wow, I haven't heard the name Shadoe Stevens in AGES.

Me either!  I can't believe he is 70 years old now.  I remember him when I was a teenager.

I missed Deacon - not missed him but didn't recognize him.  Thanks for the heads up.  He was always my favorite on King of Queens for I couldn't stand Doug or Carry.

I love, love, love Damon and always have.  

I am IN.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 2

I just got around to watching this and I think it was cute. Damon and Amber have a nice easygoing chemistry with each other, something I don't personally see in a lot of sitcom couples, so I enjoyed watching the two together.

I didn't hate the teenage star Cooper all that much. I thought he was fine in the role. Deacon and Claire are strong characters as well. I'm not so sure this show will do extremely well, but I hope it does well. I'll continue watching when I can.

• Love 1

I like this episode even better than the first. I laughed out loud throughout.

Claire's parents are awesome.

The bodyguard removing the starstruck manager at goodwill.

Claire's doll! It's both hilarious and terrifying. "We didn't buy it for her. It just.......showed up." 

Edited by Snow Apple
  • Love 7

This episode was better than the first however Cooper is still not clicking with me. He's the weakest part of the show. When Jake and Claire are on their own they're great. The jokes involving him are flat. 

I laughed out loud too. A lot. Even though I knew Cooper would walk in when Jake was using the exercise band, I still laughed. Good writing; good performances.

The parents were good here, improved over the pilot. I like the whole cast. (Also like the thrift store counter employee, who made me laugh like crazy in Disjointed.)

Hope this show catches on and finds a solid audience.

• Love 4

I liked it too, although I felt like the pilot was stronger. I really like Jake and Claire, although I'm usually all in for anything Damon Wayans Jr. is in. I just think he's hysterical. 

• Love 4

To be honest, I'm surprised that I have liked this. It made me actually laugh quite a few times, mostly because Damon Wayans Jr is a freaking gem! Loved him from Happy Endings (gone too soon) and New Girl. I was thrilled to see the actor who played Deacon on the King of Queens as well! I wasn't sure about Amber West who I thought wouldn't be able to hold her own playing off Damon Wayans but she's doing a great job! I think his strengths are improving her abilities, which were a little weak from the Carmichael Show. Her parents are hilarious!

I'm least enjoying the pop star kid. It feels like things come to a screeching halt when he enters any scene. I don't know if it's the actor, the writing, the directing or what but I'm hoping that he settles into a good rhythm with the rest of a really solid cast. 

• Love 4
On 10/8/2018 at 11:49 PM, justmehere said:

(Also like the thrift store counter employee, who made me laugh like crazy in Disjointed.)

Betsy Sodaro is hilarious. Between her in this episode and Mary Holland in the first episode as the human Alexa, they are really trying hard to find funny character actors for even the small roles in this show.

I am surprisingly enjoying this show too, for a multi-cam sitcom on CBS. Damon Wayans Jr. is just naturally funny. Even when I could kind of predict the joke coming, like the spooky doll not burning at the end, I still was laughing at it. 

• Love 2

Betsy Sodaro is hilarious.

Yes, she was in a short-lived Netflix sitcom called Disjointed that starred Kathy Bates. I've also seen her in guest spots on Another Period and the cancelled-too-soon LA to Vegas. I always get a kick out of her.

On 10/9/2018 at 2:27 PM, msani19 said:

I wasn't sure about Amber West who I thought wouldn't be able to hold her own playing off Damon Wayans but she's doing a great job! I think his strengths are improving her abilities, which were a little weak from the Carmichael Show. Her parents are hilarious!

I loved Amber on Greek which I think the character of Claire is very much like her character of Ashley on Greek.  She does comedy well.  She and Damon work so great off each other.  But then again, I also agree that DWJ is just brilliantly funny anyway.  I don't think she got to really flex her comedy muscles on The Carmichael show enough she was the humorless straight man.  Here chemistry with DWJ is miles above her chemistry with Jerrod Carmichael did.

I watched two seasons of the Carmichael Show and Tiffany friggin' Haddish barely registered for me.  I mean, I read an Essence interview of the all the actresses in Girl's Trip as part of the press ahead of the release of the movie and Tiffany just just jumped right off the page in a  print interview.  I had no idea it was the same person.  So when a show subdues Tiffany or all people, then it is no surprise that Amber wasn't shining as bright as she could.

Anyway, I agree I am enjoying this.  I also think the pilot was a little stronger, but this was still funny.  That doll was creepy as hell.  I am loving her parents.  And  also agree Claire and Jake are the best parts.

• Love 1

It's possible I'm the only one who watched it, but it felt very fat shaming to me and none of those characters are fat. I did like the trainer's use of motivational techniques. Those made me giggle. And I liked the mom's diagnosis of "out of shape."  But as a whole it wasn't my favorite. 

• Love 2

I thought everything was exaggerated to make a point. I wondered if Cooper's fat days were possibly an extra 5 pounds rather than actual weight issues. Conversely, the amount of junk food that Claire and Jake had (a whole pantry full of nothing but junk) was absurd. Lack of muscle tone wouldn't be their only problem.

For me, it felt like it was poking fun at the whole issue: how ridiculous standards are -- especially for people in entertainment, and set by them -- and what "bandwagoners" Claire and Jake are, at least temporarily. What they finally (and so far, usually) come to is that they're going to do what feels right to them. Here, they want to be healthy but won't sacrifice everything to be thin. People have different sensitivity levels to shaming, though, so MMV.

I laughed a lot again overall and loved when they caught Cooper indulging in junk food. (Reminded me of Sarah Michelle Gellar on The Crazy Ones being caught eating cupcakes: "Don't judge me.")

Edited by justmehere
spelling
  • Love 4
On 10/12/2018 at 8:49 PM, DearEvette said:

I loved Amber on Greek which I think the character of Claire is very much like her character of Ashley on Greek.  She does comedy well.  She and Damon work so great off each other.  But then again, I also agree that DWJ is just brilliantly funny anyway.  I don't think she got to really flex her comedy muscles on The Carmichael show enough she was the humorless straight man.  Here chemistry with DWJ is miles above her chemistry with Jerrod Carmichael did.

I watched two seasons of the Carmichael Show and Tiffany friggin' Haddish barely registered for me.  I mean, I read an Essence interview of the all the actresses in Girl's Trip as part of the press ahead of the release of the movie and Tiffany just just jumped right off the page in a  print interview.  I had no idea it was the same person.  So when a show subdues Tiffany or all people, then it is no surprise that Amber wasn't shining as bright as she could.

Anyway, I agree I am enjoying this.  I also think the pilot was a little stronger, but this was still funny.  That doll was creepy as hell.  I am loving her parents.  And  also agree Claire and Jake are the best parts.

That's funny, I had the opposite experience in that Tiffany Haddish jumped off the screen for me on The Carmichael Show. I remember thinking "Who is this girl? She's got something." I started looking forward to her scenes more than the rest of the cast, lol.

Also agree that Amber and Damon have great chemistry, much more than Amber and Jerrod, but that was, as you said, because she was the straight man. And yeah her parents are great.

• Love 1

I get that comedy thrives on hyperbole but there was just too much of that going on here. There were moments when the writing was veering into fatshaming not to mention that Cooper seems to show signs of BDD. And that pantry was just ridiculous. Claire's parents make it all better though.

Missed last week but really enjoyed last night's episode. I love it when DWJ goes up into falsetto, like "it's not the salad wraps!" The cast for this show is tremendous, but I honestly don't know how much mileage they think they can get out of Cooper. How long is this so-called pop star supposed to go on living with these people? It was only just barely plausible in the pilot, I can't see him living there indefinitely.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show so much. Really wish it was getting more attention. I do think they need to involve Cooper more. He was at least there more in this episode, but he seems more like a catalyst most of the time rather than a character. I like him; they just need to involve him more.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Dee said:

Best episode to date!

Victor Williams & Stephanie Weir are killing it as Claire's parents.

I just love them. When they high-fived thinking they were free of taking care of Claire and Bonnie said they had been keeping themselves only "half-buzzed", I cracked up. I don't care how silly the premise, just get those two in every episode please!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Missed last week but really enjoyed last night's episode. I love it when DWJ goes up into falsetto, like "it's not the salad wraps!" The cast for this show is tremendous, but I honestly don't know how much mileage they think they can get out of Cooper. How long is this so-called pop star supposed to go on living with these people? It was only just barely plausible in the pilot, I can't see him living there indefinitely.

3 minutes ago, justmehere said:

I'm enjoying this show so much. Really wish it was getting more attention. I do think they need to involve Cooper more. He was at least there more in this episode, but he seems more like a catalyst most of the time rather than a character. I like him; they just need to involve him more.

I don't mind Cooper, in fact I think he's a good character and the actor has an easy-going charm. He has some good moments - the scene when they caught him eating the snacks was great. But I agree that I'm not sure how long they can continue the premise. But then again, sitcoms are well-known for stretching reality. I'm along for the ride, regardless!

• Love 3

I've finally realized what's dragging the show down.

It's Felix Mallard's lack of timing. He's an appealing enough presence, but he lacks the ability to properly deliver a punchline and/or ad-lib.

• Love 1

This has turned into a cute show, but Cooper being there just seems unnecessary now, and defeats the whole premise of the show. I feel like he should be driving the majority of the plots, but instead he's just background noise. He may as well be a runaway kid that Jake and Clair took in instead of an international pop star. Wouldn't be surprised if they ditched him next season (if it gets one) and this turns into more of a family comedy.

So yeah, it's a cute show, but honest to god, I'm only continuing to watch for Damon Wayans, Jr. cuz he is just SO damn hot (and funny).

• Love 2