Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E10: Jinger's Double Surprise/S08.E11 Kendra Has A Baby

frenchtoast
  • Start Topic

Funny out of all the issues Austin has, being a germaphobe, horribly uptight and probably thinks he's smarter than most, he got Joy as his lifelong servant wife.  Of all the Duggar girls, she just strikes me as a dim bulb with bad hygiene.  I don't know if it's the few times I saw the bottom of her feet as she walks barefoot everywhere, or  her bad table manners or vocabulary, but Austin is going to have full on hate for her in the next year if he doesn't already.

• Love 10
On 9/26/2018 at 10:08 AM, Nysha said:

He's young, actually works a real job, and probably doesn't go out much or see the need for any other clothes. When I met my late husband he was farming full time and owned work t-shirts, nice t-shirts, and a 10-year-old, lime green, plaid, polyester leisure suit with a matching lime green dress shirt he wore for formal occasions. He also wore his cap all the time. His only concession to going out was to put on a clean hat and t-shirt. Over the years, the leisure suit was replaced with nice dress shirts and a pair of slacks, but he still felt if he had to put on something more formal than a t-shirt, he would rather stay home.

I know a few kids that might want this suit now!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Love2dance said:

OMG, it is exactly like algebra, which is why I, sadly, don’t understand a word of the explanation. Thank goodness I taught kindergarten, not high school English or math. So, I’m right there with you @flyingdi about it sounding better, or as Bill Maher says, “I don’t know it for a fact, I just know it’s true.” Sigh.

OT.....I’m sure the Duggar’s don’t know the rules either, or even if it sounds right.

I love that part of his show

• Love 4
On 9/26/2018 at 4:47 PM, graefin said:

Apparently it was both? If it was such a fucking big deal, he should have had TLC spring for individual fondue pots (kind of like what they do in shabu shabu places) so everyone could keep their germs to themselves. Didn't he and Joy each have their own in Switzerland? I guess he's just a pretty face.

Or he could have just kept his mouth shut and not eaten the fondue. It's akin to people who love to announce that they "don't eat" what is being served at a party. SHUT UP, you're rude.  If you leave hungry, eat on the way home, but don't insult your host(ess).

On 9/26/2018 at 4:59 PM, jcbrown said:

I totally agree that they were completely selfish not to offer to let the Vuolos light the stupid sign. Not surprising, though, since between them they share neither half a brain nor a molecule of consideration for others. 

Re. fondue: I was taught that you use the fondue fork to dip your item, use your dinner fork to scrape it off the fondue fork onto your plate, then eat it. Hardcore germaphobes might still have issues with that. 

"I'm Michelle and this is my WONDERFUL husband Jim Bob, and these are our eleventy grandbabies...and I lit the sign for EVERY ONE!"

On 9/26/2018 at 7:22 PM, The Ascension said:

I can't get over how attractive Kendra's parents are. I also cannot get over how in this episode they were saying they didn't expect to be grandparents this young and they thought they'd have one or two more (although Kendra's dad did acknowledge have kids young, be a grandparent young) before Kendra had a baby. They were surprised when she announced she was pregnant too. They noted in the engagement/wedding season that she was marrying young and she and Joe got engaged quickly. Honestly, what did they freaking expect? This is how they set her up in life. They (probably) didn't tell her about birth control or the benefits of family planning and waiting to have kids. How could they be surprised? It blows my mind a bit.

Also..that "dance monkey dance!!!" gender reveal. SCREW.THAT. How self-involved. God, I'd be PISSED if I showed up and found out I'd have to do that. 

Wasn't there chatter that Kendra was expected to go to bible college or something before she started a-courtin'?

• Love 8
22 hours ago, WalrusGirl said:

The Melting Pots in VA have the dipping etiquette as part of their standard cooking spiel as they prepare the pot at your table - you don’t eat off of the fondue stick. Everyone has normal utensils and a small plate and you remove your dipped item from the fondue stick onto your plate (I use a fork instead of my fingers, but at that point you’re only affecting yourself, so you do you) then eat it with a normal fork (or fingers, I guess, if you really prefer). The fondue stick goes from stabbing an undipped item into the shared pot and then the food is removed from it before getting near the mouth. ??‍♀️ Or, for chocolate, you can spoon some chocolate onto your plate. I cannot stand that my sister can’t follow the basic instructions they repeat each time, and eats off the fondue stick, since she has young kids in that always-sick stage *and* I’m normally the one treating when we go for cheese and chocolate. So apparently I fall into the category of “doesn’t make it A Thing, but really enjoys the experience/meal a lot less and would be done if it were just salsa and not an expensive course that’s otherwise a treat to me.”

huh... I've been to three totally different Melting Pot restaurants and I don't think any of them have given us dipping eitquette.  And Honestly I can't remember if I ate off the fork or not (but I'm kinda thinking I did and everyone else I was with each time but maybe not if the pieces were too big). However I know you should NOT do that when cooking the raw meats. And I was reprimanded the first time I went to one because I put raw meat on my plate - silly me I wanted to separate my own share from the communal plate lol  The waitress looked so horrified that I did that. Maybe THAT needs to be added to their dipping etiquette ;)   Honestly though... all 3 times I've been to one the waiter/waitress have been VERY awkward and not at all the type of personality you would expect at a place like that. 

• Love 2
On 9/26/2018 at 3:30 PM, wilsie said:

Oops. Disregard ^^^

If Ben is such a germophobic, why did Joy & Austin choose this as there swiss dish or dessert?  Or why did TLC choose it for them? It seemed it was ok when they had it on their honeymoon because it was just the two of them. When it was for six was when he started to get crazy over it.  

7 hours ago, gunderda said:

huh... I've been to three totally different Melting Pot restaurants and I don't think any of them have given us dipping eitquette.  And Honestly I can't remember if I ate off the fork or not (but I'm kinda thinking I did and everyone else I was with each time but maybe not if the pieces were too big). However I know you should NOT do that when cooking the raw meats. And I was reprimanded the first time I went to one because I put raw meat on my plate - silly me I wanted to separate my own share from the communal plate lol  The waitress looked so horrified that I did that. Maybe THAT needs to be added to their dipping etiquette ;)   Honestly though... all 3 times I've been to one the waiter/waitress have been VERY awkward and not at all the type of personality you would expect at a place like that. 

Maybe the awkward waiters think you look too sophisticated for it to be your first time eating fondue, thus you don't need the speech!  :)

• Love 2

Gender reveal?  Who cares? I think their parties are ridiculous.  What sad, boring lives they must lead.  I guess I would never presume that anyone else would care or get so excited about the gender of a baby, especially if there is one coming every few months in that family.

Man, it gets old after a while.

• Love 11

Any time I've had fondue, everyone has gotten their own fondue fork and eaten off the fork. But, I've only had fondue with very close family or friends, people who are close enough to double dip with because we've already shared food off of each other' plates and drank out each other's glasses. I can see where Austin would be squicked out by a bunch of double dipping, but I agree with the poster who said he should have just not eaten the fondue instead of making a beg deal about it.

• Love 6

I can't believe I'm saying this, as Jill has been my least-favourite Duggar daughter since the very first time they appeared on my TV in one of their specials, but I felt sorry for her for missing the trip to Laredo.  Everyone else was there for the gender-reveal party and the shower for Jinger, except for Jill. I know that she and Derick aren't on the show any more, but neither is Josh and we saw Anna and some of kids arrive at the Jinger's house.  Maybe Josh stayed home with the two youngest kids (Hahahahahaha...ah, that laugh felt good), but odds are he was there and just kept out of the camera's view. 

Are any of the daughters/daughters-in-law pregnant right now?  Because it seems as though a couple should be - particularly as we have JD's engagement and wedding coming up, and nothing else.  Omg, I'm actually talking about pregnancies as plot points on this show.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Pingaponga said:

I can't believe I'm saying this, as Jill has been my least-favourite Duggar daughter since the very first time they appeared on my TV in one of their specials, but I felt sorry for her for missing the trip to Laredo.  Everyone else was there for the gender-reveal party and the shower for Jinger, except for Jill. I know that she and Derick aren't on the show any more, but neither is Josh and we saw Anna and some of kids arrive at the Jinger's house.  Maybe Josh stayed home with the two youngest kids (Hahahahahaha...ah, that laugh felt good), but odds are he was there and just kept out of the camera's view. 

Are any of the daughters/daughters-in-law pregnant right now?  Because it seems as though a couple should be - particularly as we have JD's engagement and wedding coming up, and nothing else.  Omg, I'm actually talking about pregnancies as plot points on this show.

Well the next Duggar daughters/daughters in law due for another pregnancy are Lauren, Jessa, Anna, Jill. Jinger, Joy & Kendra all gave birth within the last year with Jessa having the longest time since her last live birth (being Henry, who was born Feb 2017). 

It is super creepy to realize Josh was at the gender reveal..

I know it happens everyday as many times molesters are family members but it is still sickening to think Gingers baby reveal of a little girl happened while the man who molested her is eating cake 

• Love 24

Anna doesn't strike me as being as clingy to Josh as Jill has been to Derick (i.e., she devotes time to being a mom), so it seems to me that it would be fairly easy for the camera to capture Anna and/or her kids without Josh. And in that situation, it was most definitely Josh banned from the show, not the Josh Duggar Family if you will. 

Yet I didn't see any signs of Israel or Sam with or without Jill at the party. So whether Derick was banned or he voluntarily left, the entire Dillard Family has been removed from the show (with the exception of Jill participating in Joy's labor and delivery).

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 4

I think Jill is banned at this point. I would have to re-watch to confirm this, but someone mentioned that it was so crowded at Jinger's house with the Duggars and Vuolos there, even without all of Jinger's siblings. Then the person listed the siblings who were not there, but did not include Josh or Jill in the list.

Since Anna was there, it is plausible that Josh was there too, but not shown or mentioned since he is banned. Thanks to another poster (Sew Sumi?), we know that Jill's social media seems to confirm* that she was not in Laredo at the time of the party.  Since she wasn't included in the list of missing siblings and there was no sign of her at Jinger's, I think Jill is banned. Once he has his fancy new law degree, Derick would probably try to sue TLC if Jill were shown or mentioned without his permission.

*Seems, since we know that the Duggars have made social media posts that indicate that they are doing one thing when they are actually doing something else. 

• Love 6

Even if the Derelicts are banned from the show, hopefully Jill & kids still meet up with her siblings for things that aren't filmed like a play date, day in the park etc.  It would be a shame if Izzy & Sam could never be around Jill's family just because their father is a jerk. 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Even if the Derelicts are banned from the show, hopefully Jill & kids still meet up with her siblings for things that aren't filmed like a play date, day in the park etc.  It would be a shame if Izzy & Sam could never be around Jill's family just because their father is a jerk. 

Oh, I think they hang out. Remember, not long ago Jessa kept Iz and Sammy while Jill visited Derick at law school. There's real life - and there's faux reality TV life. I don't think they are the same.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

It would be a shame if Izzy & Sam could never be around Jill's family just because their father is a jerk. 

I'm not so sure that not being able to be around the Duggars would be a shame at all!!

• Love 5

I don't think Austin is out of line with the fondue thing. Double dipping is gross and I'm very aware I watch what people do with dips, salsa etc. Put your stuff on your own plate so you don't contaminate the whole thing. Austin should come with me to my friend's house. She licks her fingers off constantly while she is preparing/ putting food out on the table. I avoid everything she touches.

• Love 9

Speaking of double-dipping, family, and such, yesterday I had my daughter, son-in-law, and grandbaby over for dinner. Daughter and grandbaby have a bit of a cold (baby seems happy enough, if slightly congested; daughter says she feels like crap). Anyway, the baby is just getting to the stage (6 months yesterday!) that they are letting her gum a few food items, like the apples that they went out picking yesterday. I was cooking, but going back and forth between the stove and the appetizer tray to grab a piece of cheese, fruit, or a cracker. The slice of apple I picked up at one point was sort of on the edge of the platter, but I didn't think anything of it, even though the texture seemed a little strange...You guessed it! That was the piece Remy had been gumming! Hope I don't get her cold...I have cousins from England coming to visit in a few days! I don't need a cold now! LOL

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Evenshorter said:

I don't think Austin is out of line with the fondue thing. Double dipping is gross and I'm very aware I watch what people do with dips, salsa etc. Put your stuff on your own plate so you don't contaminate the whole thing. Austin should come with me to my friend's house. She licks her fingers off constantly while she is preparing/ putting food out on the table. I avoid everything she touches.

If the germ factor bothered Austin so much, I don't understand why they didn't just stick a small ladle in the fondue pot and let everyone drizzle the chocolate over their plated fruit. It wouldn't be the traditional fondue experience but it would've negated Austin looking like a killjoy over the double-dipping conundrum.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Oh, I think they hang out. Remember, not long ago Jessa kept Iz and Sammy while Jill visited Derick at law school. There's real life - and there's faux reality TV life. I don't think they are the same.

And Izzy was at the gender reveal for Kendra and Joe. JB was holding him. 

• Love 3

I recorded the show and stopped watching and deleted the show when I saw that JB and Michelle were lighting the sign.  

She wasn't even asked to do it.  It was just supposed to be JB (although I totally agree he should have turned it over to Jeremy's folks) and she ran right up there to help him.  We don't call her ME-chelle for nothing.

Jessa is following right in her mother's footsteps with her pompous announcement that she knew just how she wanted to decorate the nursery.  No wonder Jinger is so happy-as-a-clam to be living in another state.

I've got an idea for a gender reveal....send a group text to all interested parties and say,"We're having a girl!"  Voila!  Done!

If I hadn't known those were Kendra's parents when they came over to help her with the car seat, etc., I never would have guessed.  They just seemed like a nice older couple that they knew from church who were giving them a hand.  

Edited by Angeltoes
  • Love 17

^^agrees!  Kendra’s parents came off as kinda creepy in this episode. 

We were hoping for another baby after our first got knocked up!  Yay!

These people use “seasons of life” like the rest of us use the words “the” and “and” yet they feel the need to have kids well after it safe and advisable to do so...embrace your grandparent and having kids out of diapers stage!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Soaper410 said:

^^agrees!  Kendra’s parents came off as kinda creepy in this episode. 

We were hoping for another baby after our first got knocked up!  Yay!

These people use “seasons of life” like the rest of us use the words “the” and “and” yet they feel the need to have kids well after it safe and advisable to do so...embrace your grandparent and having kids out of diapers stage!

Christina Caldwell is barely forty, if that. She's not ancient or unhealthy as far as we know, so why would it be unsafe or unadvisable for her to have another? (Mullet is a whole 'nother ballgame.) 

• Love 7

^^ any woman over 34 who is pregnant is automatically considered a high risk pregnancy.

Babies have a higher risk of many genetic abnormalities and a greater risk of a child being born premature.

Most parents who over that age didn’t have the oppurntity before to have baby (didn’t get married or with their partner until later, financially couldn’t afford the baby, etc) but they already have 7 kids..I just don’t get the risk at that point

Edited by Soaper410
23 hours ago, BitterApple said:

If the germ factor bothered Austin so much, I don't understand why they didn't just stick a small ladle in the fondue pot and let everyone drizzle the chocolate over their plated fruit. It wouldn't be the traditional fondue experience but it would've negated Austin looking like a killjoy over the double-dipping conundrum.

I may have gone that route honestly.  But, this could have been turned into a lesson for the littles!  This is how we do fondue, we do not double dip, if you put your fork in hot oil for a meat fondue you will singe your lips off, that kind of stuff.  I remember fondue being really fun as a kid.  If I could get it these kids could.  Josie is the wildcard though with her penchant for licking.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Soaper410 said:

^^ any woman over 34 who is pregnant is automatically considered a high risk pregnancy.

Babies have a higher risk of many genetic abnormalities and a greater risk of a child being born premature.

Most parents who over that age didn’t have the oppurntity before to have baby (didn’t get married or with their partner until later, financially couldn’t afford the baby, etc) but they already have 7 kids..I just don’t get the risk at that point

Women who have had 6 or more pregnancies, known as Grand Multiparas, are at higher risk for many complications of pregnancy, even if they're not over 35.  Postpartum hemorrhage, usually due to a uterus that is just so stretched out and worn from so many pregnancies that it cannot contract properly, is much more frequent.  Also pre eclampsia, macrosomia (abnormally large babies), post dates (going overdue) and even uterine rupture are more common in women who've had an unusually large number of pregnancies.  Low Apgar scores are seen more frequently in the children of grand multips.  Placenta previa where the placenta implants over the cervix, leading to the risk of a life threatening hemorrhage for mother and baby and the need for a cesarean delivery is also more common in women like Kendra's mom.

• Love 20
On 10/1/2018 at 11:59 AM, kokapetl said:

Does anyone know if he'll actually have to fork over $220K, or would home owners insurance cover this?  I'm really curious.  Otherwise, there goes some or all of his retirement money!

I love the way the article says gender reveals are rediculous.  Even Gil Bates said they certainly never did them.  The kid popped out and the sex was revealed!

• Love 2
On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, doodlebug said:

Women who have had 6 or more pregnancies, known as Grand Multiparas, are at higher risk for many complications of pregnancy, even if they're not over 35.  Postpartum hemorrhage, usually due to a uterus that is just so stretched out and worn from so many pregnancies that it cannot contract properly, is much more frequent.  Also pre eclampsia, macrosomia (abnormally large babies), post dates (going overdue) and even uterine rupture are more common in women who've had an unusually large number of pregnancies.  Low Apgar scores are seen more frequently in the children of grand multips.  Placenta previa where the placenta implants over the cervix, leading to the risk of a life threatening hemorrhage for mother and baby and the need for a cesarean delivery is also more common in women like Kendra's mom.

Meaning that super-breeders like Michelle and Kendra's mom can call themselves super-duper-duper blessed, as the Lord has safely opened their wombs many, many, many times. They are SOOOOOOOOOO much more favored by God than those other lame women who have only a few babies.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LilJen said:

Meaning that super-breeders like Michelle and Kendra's mom can call themselves super-duper-duper blessed, as the Lord has safely opened their wombs many, many, many times. They are SOOOOOOOOOO much more favored by God than those other lame women who have only a few babies.

Wow I had 'only' 3, a butt-first breech, a placenta previa and a final perfect-but-planned c-sec-tie-the-tubes already.  Not one of God's favorites.

• Love 6
On 10/2/2018 at 6:59 AM, Soaper410 said:

I just got married at the end of August at 33, went of birth control last month, got my period yesterday and I cried when I read this, haha. Not your fault, of course, but dammit! I need to get off the Duggar threads. 

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, FreetheGirlses said:

I just got married at the end of August at 33, went of birth control last month, got my period yesterday and I cried when I read this, haha. Not your fault, of course, but dammit! I need to get off the Duggar threads. 

No!!!! I've been an OB nurse and currently work with pregnant women. I also had my last at 35 without any genetic testing because I knew I was good. And someone said you can't do anything to affect outcome. I strongly disagree with that statement. Overall general health is so important for a positive outcome. Eat healthy foods. Drink water. exercise. Positive thinking  expecting a good outcome. These all help improve your chances of a perfectly healthy pregnancy and delivery. More and more women are waiting until they are in their 30s. You'll be fine if you take good care of yourself. I hope all goes well for you. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, FreetheGirlses said:

My aunt had her first kid at 41, second at 43 with no fertility assistance. My grandmother had her last at 42. Pretty much all the women I'm friends with on social media had babies on the backside of 35. I wouldn't even stress, you'll be fine.

• Love 3
On 10/5/2018 at 6:45 AM, FreetheGirlses said:

Don’t cry! Congrats on your wedding. 

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 7:45 AM, FreetheGirlses said:

Even amongst totally fertile couples, it can take up to a year to get pregnant; around 15% of women will get pregnant their first month trying.  It's a marathon, not a sprint.  Make sure you're taking a prenatal vitamin containing folic acid or folate, it prevents neural tube defects like spina bifida.  As mentioned above, eating healthy, exercising, getting enough sleep are good to do.

If your cycles are regular, you can anticipate you will ovulate 14 days before your next period is due.  Starting to have intercourse daily about 3 days prior to that is a good strategy since it takes the sperm about 3 days to reach the egg and the egg is only viable for around 18 hours, so his boys need to be in the pipeline.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Make sure you're taking a prenatal vitamin containing folic acid or folate, it prevents neural tube defects like spina bifida.

This 1000X times!  I had an associate that got pregnant with a guy she was dating.  She had divorced a couple of years earlier and she and her husband tried and tried and could not have kids.  She later lost over 100 lbs and began dating.  Lo and behold, while on bcp, supposdedly, she became pregnant with twins.  One of the twins had the neural tube defect anencephaly where the baby is born without part of its skull and brain, and eventually dies.  And that almost killed her with guilt.  The other twin was just fine. 

Also, I found great luck in using a basel thermometer to track my ovulating time - for me it was a form of birth control because of where we were in life, but it worked great - so you may want to check that out.  

• Love 3
On 10/5/2018 at 8:43 AM, Annabel11 said:

No!!!! I've been an OB nurse and currently work with pregnant women. I also had my last at 35 without any genetic testing because I knew I was good. And someone said you can't do anything to affect outcome. I strongly disagree with that statement. Overall general health is so important for a positive outcome. Eat healthy foods. Drink water. exercise. Positive thinking  expecting a good outcome. These all help improve your chances of a perfectly healthy pregnancy and delivery. More and more women are waiting until they are in their 30s. You'll be fine if you take good care of yourself. I hope all goes well for you. 

Thanks, I appreciate your response! My biggest enemy is positive thinking, only because I suffer from anxiety. I was managing it with antidepressants with I wasn't thrilled with, and I've been off them since June. I started taking prenatals in June as well, since my doctor said it was a good idea to start prior to even trying to conceive. I have been slacking on the exercise, but normally I am in SoulCycle all the time. I'm starting up with the workout routine again tomorrow (Wedding/teaching/back to school knocked me off my track haha). 

• Love 4
On 10/5/2018 at 6:45 AM, FreetheGirlses said:

It took me several months after I went off BC pills to get pregnant. I too thought it would never happen. I was 29. 

Edited by libgirl2