Type keyword(s) to search

Murdoch Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Just watched the finale and unlike in years past there was no cliffhanger and everyone's storylines were wrapped up (a little too) neatly.  Has the show been renewed for another season or was that the end?

Cancel/Renew Status: As of March 3rd, 2020, CBC has yet to cancel or renew Murdoch Mysteries for Season 14. We track the status of Murdoch Mysteries each day and will update this page as soon as Murdoch Mysteries is cancelled or renewed. Stay tuned by bookmarking this page or subscribing to our free cancel/renew newsletters.

From CBC.com

• Love 3
(edited)
26 minutes ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Very interesting, thanks @peacheslatour!  I'm not sure how I'd feel about that being the end.  (By the way, is it weird that every time I read your name I mentally "hear" it in Jack Carson's voice? 🙂)

That's where I got it. I love that movie. I'm glad you get a chuckle. 😊

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1

As far as Parker goes, I wonder if the actor wanted out.  That's what happened with a couple of others over the years.  They have been bringing a lot of different characters in because the main 4 have been working on other shows.  If any of you want to ask Peter Mitchell anything, he's pretty good at replying.  He's on the Murdoch Mysteries Season 13 facebook page and on twitter his handle is louford1

I was really happy with the finale, and also wonder if they tied everything up because it's the series finale.  The only thing I didn't like was Murdoch saying he has looked at other women.  I don't think that's in character.  I was happy to see Tom stop being a homophobe.  

If the writing was this good all of the time I would be sad to see the show end.  I wish someone would do a better job of overseeing the writing and the frequent gaping plot holes.  

They normal tell us if they're renewing at the awards show which I believe is this month.  I'm very hopeful that they renew it along with Coroner and The Detectives.  Heartland hasn't been mentioned and it's been around forever and of course Schitt's Creek is ending while Anne with an E has been cancelled.  Those are all my favourite shows and I don't want to lose all of them.

The only thing I didn't like was Murdoch saying he has looked at other women. 

I think it was in character. He has been very obviously attracted to other women. But I do not think he would ever go as far as kissing another woman now that he is married. For one thing he is too honorable and secondly he takes his religion very seriously and that would be a sin.

• Love 3

Finally finished Season 13 here in the States, and I call BS on the redemption of Miss Hart.  Since the end of last season she was clearly being depicted as shady and evil, and I don't buy that now it's revealed that she was forced into things blah blah blah.  Whatever.  I don't care if she was forced into it, she's still not a good person.  She's shown nothing but disdain for Julia all season and the way she talks to her is inexcuseable.  Julia had it right, she got her the job in the first place.  On top of that, she's not even a doctor!  Whether she felt like she had no choice in her actions or not doesn't excuse the fact that she's extremely arrogant.  I miss Rebecca James and Emily Grace.  I know those actresses wanted to move on, but I'd love for them to come back.

Assuming the show comes back for Season 14, I wonder if Dr. Dixon is gone for good.  I hope not.  I think he and Julia make a good team at the hospital.

• Love 5

Apparently some Facebook pages for the show have announced that season 14 is happening while one of the main forums says nothing is happening.  Is anyone here in the know?  I imagine a lot of shows slated for next fall are not able to get started due to Covid.

• Love 1

I have looked around a little on the internet but haven't found anything one way or another on renewal.  I can't really imagine that it won't be renewed but the new season will certainly be subject to whatever the health situation is.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Trey said:

I have looked around a little on the internet but haven't found anything one way or another on renewal.  I can't really imagine that it won't be renewed but the new season will certainly be subject to whatever the health situation is.

I saw somewhere that Yannick Bisson was asked what he would be doing for his 30th wedding anniversary and he said it conflicts with an episode he is directing so I will take that as a yes!

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

What a disastrous 13th season with a “neatly” settled finale that was lackluster.  Frankly the last several seasons have been poor. What made this show so enjoyable was the mix of theatrics, humor, mystery, romance and friendships. It feels as if the writers are just re-spinning tales and going from plot point to plot point without consideration of consequences. 

Violet Hart’s story made zero sense and should have been developed better. She had the potential to be a badass character, not psychotic, who could challenge the leads. Leaving the evidence she had on Julia so easily found was ridiculous. I hope they let her keep her bite.

The neighbor story was uninteresting and hope the wife is long gone but suspect these writers will bring her back to harm Murdoch since she said she thinks Murdoch got away with murder. Not interested.

Murdoch needed a friend like Parker and the show needed an interesting new character with intelligence. His death was infuriating.

The character and story that constantly irritate me is Julia. It seems the writers want the audience to be on side with her but I just cannot like her. In ‘The Killing Dose’ she killed her patient without consultation of the father or anyone else in her family. She did not consider any other method. She did not consult other doctors or hospitals. Heck, they could have used the Murdoch invention to see if any brain activity was present (that was used in cometh the archer). No, she kills the woman in the middle of a possible murder investigation. One can agree with the concept of euthanasia but understand questions need be answered as to when it can happen, how and who gets a say. One can be ok with her intention but where were the consequences. Conveniently absent. Dad of victim perfectly fine with how his daughter died. Sister that was arrested was fine too- or her lawyer (charged with what?) At minimum, let the dad have it out with the doctor who killed his kid. 

The “affair” with Dixon was a chemistry free event. In this plot, once again consequences absent. Throughout the year Julia has lied to her husband about her relationship with her colleague. Only a phone call stops her having sex with the guy and even then she fails to express regret, say this cannot happen, and ask him to leave. Dixon leaves of his own accord. Frankly, every scene with the two characters was awkward. Deciding to cause tension in a relationship of the star couple with an affair, the actors need have great chemistry. These two had none. Murdoch’s reaction to her confession of almost “straying” was certainly kind. He found that man in his home alone with his wife earlier in the year for heaven’s sake. Yannick Bisson played it all year that he sensed something was afoot with Julia and Dixon. It was nonsense that he would just gloss over her actions and her lies with the line that he thought of other women. Flirting or finding other women attractive is not the same as what went on with Julia.

I don’t expect the character of Julia to be flogged, but some damn consequences for a change. People can be tempted by others even when happy and in a loving relationship but it is what you do with that temptation. I think the way Julia handles so many situations, like this temptation, throughout the series stinks. 

If a 14th season is in the cards I hope the writing improves.

• Love 6

Hi all.  I've been binging on MM via Acorn, and am in the middle of season 11, but I've also read all the comments so far.  So, based on comments, in season 13 Watts is discovered to be gay?  Bit in the episode where Mr. Dilton gets crushed by the car, Watts seemed attracted to the nurse that showed up.  Did they retcon his sexuality or was the character pretending?

Also in the end on season 10 beginning of season 11 "let's accuse Murdoch of murder" episodes, when Chief Constible Davis shows up, did they ever explain how he got out of being exciled to City Records?  Yeah, Brakenried got out cause he didn't do what he'd been accused of (don't recall what at the moment) but Davis was guilty and took the transfer as I guess a plea bargain.  Maybe the writers forgot that he went to City Records?

Also, in the season 11 opener, it was nice to see Hodge again (running the pub where the gang met). Just like it was nice to see Giles in the "George is in jail" episode.  Based on comments, we see him again?

I hope to finish the remaining episodes in the next week or so.  Maybe I'll have more questions/comments at that time.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, craziness said:

So, based on comments, in season 13 Watts is discovered to be gay?  Bit in the episode where Mr. Dilton gets crushed by the car, Watts seemed attracted to the nurse that showed up.  Did they retcon his sexuality or was the character pretending?

I think they retconned his sexuality.  In his first couple of seasons he was quite interested in women; he was even going after Miss Cherry, the reporter.

• Love 4

I'm watching the episodes again, on ION Plus on Saturdays and Sundays.  Just finishing the episodes with Lillian Moss.  Looks like they retconned her history between the corset episode (she left home 3 years before because she didn't want to marry the man her parents choose for her, and worked as a corset model when she came to Toronto) and the ep where she was killed (left Port Credit a year ago after helping her married girlfriend "kill" her husband and fake her own death and was a beard for her "uncle").  Do the writers NOT watch previous episodes?  

I will miss Emily Grace, but really like her friendship with George (even as he sends her off on her move). 

Also, noticed that ION Plus does edit/censor some of the episodes for content (totally skipped the nudist colony episode, edited out Lillian unlacing Emily's corset).  I wonder how they will handle Brackenreid painting nudes?

Can't wait for Season 14.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Just started watching the show on ION. I loved watching Helen Keller attacking the murderer. Way to go Helen! That was awesome. I like all the main characters especially George. I love his crazy theories. I liked seeing Murdoch drunk. Julia seemed to like too. 

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Just started watching the show on ION. I loved watching Helen Keller attacking the murder. Way to go Helen! That was awesome. I like all the main characters especially George. I love his crazy theories. I liked seeing Murdoch drunk. Julia seemed to like too. 

Yep. She's always trying to get him to loosen up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I just started streaming the show over the summer on Hulu and catching season 13 on various internet sites.  Crabtree and Brackenreid are my favorite characters.  Love watching the interaction between Henry and Ruthie.  

Murdoch wears so much make-up that it's distracting at times.  Go easy on the eyeliner, please.

It's like they can't figure out what to do with Julia.  Is she a psychiatrist, a surgeon, a coroner?  A strong or indecisive woman?  I don't see what Murdoch sees in her.  I looked up the actress's bio on Wikipedia and was surprised she was around 40.  She seems so much older than that.

Looking forward to season 14, but not sure where I'll be able to access it when it's released.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Neiman said:

Murdoch wears so much make-up that it's distracting at times.  Go easy on the eyeliner, please.

We have all had this thought, but it’s apparently not makeup, just the natural thickness of his eyelashes. The show runners have addressed this comment before, which is why I know that. 🙂 I wish I had such great lashes

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, nara said:

We have all had this thought, but it’s apparently not makeup, just the natural thickness of his eyelashes. The show runners have addressed this comment before, which is why I know that. 🙂 I wish I had such great lashes

The same thing happened when Nestor Carbonell was on Bates Motel. We used to call him Sheriff Mascara. He went on some talk show and they tried to wipe it off but it was just him. He just had naturally thick, black lashes.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

The same thing happened when Nestor Carbonell was on Bates Motel. We used to call him Sheriff Mascara. He went on some talk show and they tried to wipe it off but it was just him. He just had naturally thick, black lashes.

When he was on Lost he was called Guyliner.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, nara said:
2 hours ago, Neiman said:

Don't know about Neiman, but I wouldn't be talking about his lashes. In close ups you can see a line on the lid of his eyes so not mascara, eye liner. The scene that comes to me as one where I noticed this is the get together where Julia is dressed as a man with some other of the basketball (?) team. In one of the close ups of Murdoch I could see a line on his eyelid.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

Don't know about Neiman, but I wouldn't be talking about his lashes. In close ups you can see a line on the lid of his eyes so not mascara, eye liner. The scene that comes to me as one where I noticed this is the get together where Julia is dressed as a man with some other of the basketball (?) team. In one of the close ups of Murdoch I could see a line on his eyelid.

Yeah, you can. I've noticed a distinct line along his lower lashes.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Neiman said:

I looked up the actress's bio on Wikipedia and was surprised she was around 40.

Helene Joy, the actress who portrays Julia, is an extremely beautiful woman who will grow to be even more beautiful as time goes on. But that's just my opinion!

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

Helene Joy, the actress who portrays Julia, is an extremely beautiful woman who will grow to be even more beautiful as time goes on. But that's just my opinion!

I would cheerfully kill for Julia's dressing gowns!

• Love 5

Clearly, Murdoch wears eyeliner and sometimes goes too heavy with the bronzer.

Julia has worn some pretty gowns, but in more recent episodes I thought she looked rather frumpy. 

Edited by Neiman

This was certainly an old school Murdoch Mystery with all these famous or soon-to-be famous people showing up in Toronto. 

I've missed Murdoch's mental re-creations of how a crime was committed so it was nice to see that again.

I wonder what Miss Hart will be up to this season.  Who is this man who is so interested in her and why is he so interested? Romance or something more sinister?

And the Higgins-Newsomes are expecting a child! That should be interesting.

Julia still has such a juvenile sense of humour - I admit, so do I.  There's nothing funnier than a flatulence cushion😁

Bottom line, this was a great opener for the new season, hope it stays this good.

• Love 8
36 minutes ago, Trey said:

This was certainly an old school Murdoch Mystery with all these famous or soon-to-be famous people showing up in Toronto. 

I've missed Murdoch's mental re-creations of how a crime was committed so it was nice to see that again.

I wonder what Miss Hart will be up to this season.  Who is this man who is so interested in her and why is he so interested? Romance or something more sinister?

And the Higgins-Newsomes are expecting a child! That should be interesting.

Julia still has such a juvenile sense of humour - I admit, so do I.  There's nothing funnier than a flatulence cushion😁

Bottom line, this was a great opener for the new season, hope it stays this good.

I agree. I loved how Murdoch's contraptions caused Watt, was it? To walk like a duck, inspiring Chaplin's Little  Tramp.

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Jonny Harris has a FB page and yesterday he posted a pic of a Chaplin-like him, saying, "Don't ask. New season of Murdoch Mysteries starts tonight on CBC."

I wonder how long it'll take for the US to get it on the streaming services.

It was on regular CBC last night.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:
52 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Jonny Harris has a FB page and yesterday he posted a pic of a Chaplin-like him, saying, "Don't ask. New season of Murdoch Mysteries starts tonight on CBC."

I wonder how long it'll take for the US to get it on the streaming services.

It was on regular CBC last night.

The question, or actually the indirect question, was when it would be on US streaming services not the CBC.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, marina to said:

I loved this opener. It was old-school Murdoch and I love all the little pieces that add up to inspiring the stars of the silent era. 

It focused on the elements that made the show great in the first place. Well done.

• Love 6

This new episode was light and fun and top-level Murdoch. Exactly what is needed at the moment. The silent film of the final arrest was hilarious and I'm sure the actors had a lot of fun shooting it. I also hope that sets the bar for the whole season.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Buster Keaton and his falling house gag?  I'm in love with this episode.  It's a shame they couldn't work in a young American stunt man named Harold Lloyd.

Can someone remind me who Carmichael Sr. was?

I hope they stick with it. 

1 hour ago, LilWharveyGal said:

Buster Keaton and his falling house gag? 

could you tell me which episode/series this is? My husband is a huge Buster Keaton fan (I don't get it honestly), and while we watched an early episode or two, we didn't stick it out. I'm sure he'd enjoy that episode though!

• Love 1
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

could you tell me which episode/series this is? My husband is a huge Buster Keaton fan (I don't get it honestly), and while we watched an early episode or two, we didn't stick it out. I'm sure he'd enjoy that episode though!

Season 14, episode 1.