Type keyword(s) to search

Murdoch Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Is it wrong that I hoped Ms. Cherry would Die? Ya it is☺️ But I did Hope! 

I really wish George had won. And I have to say I just love this show. I see that light bulb and I'm happy.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5

I actually came to appreciate Louise a bit in this one. She certainly has a point about how she would be perceived differently as a man is a good one, as was the observation about not being responsible for how men feel about her. I especially appreciated how she didn't immediately spread the truth about George being the writer but instead gave William and Julia a chance to make it right with George before she spilled the beans.

I do take the point about being sensational overriding solid journalism. My roommate and I were watching together and noted how the entire episode was very much about 2019 concerns.

It's also always nice to see Oliver Dennis on my screen. As well as Paul Bates.

• Love 5

A clip show!

I really enjoyed it.  It was good to see Patrick McKenna again. 

I thought Colin Mochrie was really underused the first time he was on so I liked his expanded role in this episode.  Wonder if we'll see him again.

• Love 3

I liked this episode more than I thought I would. I thought it was going to be the best of the best things.

But finally it had me guessing.I was sure it was him,then wow it's not. then holy moly

it was!

he'll be back!

• Love 2

I was surprised to revisit some of these cases and I did like that these characters are all still out there at the end.

And seriously Higgins, just acknowledge that you have no idea about commerce and hold onto the shares already!

Not bad for a clip show. Not bad at all.

• Love 2

I'm happy that they left the door open for Colin Mochrie to return. 

In his last scene there was a British phonebox and U.S. flags so is he in London outside the U.S. embassy, do you think?

Broke my heart to see the clip of Jackson. I loved his character and I'd rather he survived than Higgins.

• Love 4

An excellent episode!

We have waited a year for the other shoe to drop with regard to Miss Hart's duplicity and doing whatever she can to get the coroner's job.  Wonder who it is who gave her the bullet chip to plant in the body. In last year's season finale I think it was someone from the notorious Station 4 she was conspiring with.

Poor older Brackenreids...the Captain says John is pure as the driven snow and it turned out not to be the case.  John made some very bad decisions and now he is paying for them. Maybe this will get the Brackenreids back together.

I hope everything is resolved in the finale.  I really dislike cliffhangers.

I did love seeing Effie Newsome and George together.  I guess it is obvious to everyone that they will end up together.

• Love 3

Ok Ms hart can die ,I have no problem with that. and most likely she will. she is in with the wrong people.

For her to set up young John like that,she can burn in hell. I think this will bring the Mr and Mrs back together. Thomas will figure it all out,with Williams help.

I do think John will walk before we know it.

Please tell me this wasn't the last episode of the season!

• Love 2

I was wondering if Miss Hart was going to make her move to become the permanent coroner. But to frame Young Brackenreid for murder? O.o I don't see how this will end well for her. They will find the truth in this.

I'm sure Effie Newsome is better than Louise the Louse Cherry. But she isn't what George deserves all the same.

• Love 2

I think Effie is a pretty good fit for George. 

That was a pretty satisfying season finale.  I just wish Murdoch had been able to prove that Miss Hart had tampered with the body but he'll get her next season.

• Love 4

Miss Hart should be VERY, VERY NERVOUS next season. William knows what she did, even though he has no evidence. I'd imagine the visits to the coroner's office will be most awkward.

And speaking of awkward, that Dr. Dixon seems to have the hots for Julia. It could turn obsessive next year. Julia and William need to watch their backs.

• Love 5

I really must complain about how the women in MM are written - which is badly! They either seem to be shrews (like Mrs Brackenreid and Julia when she berated and slapped the doctor for helping her to stay a surgeon, and virtually all of George's girlfriends (apart from the prostitute). And of course, John's girlfriend and the coroner who are just plain wicked. Can nobody connected to the show write about normal good-hearted moral women - they do exist, you know!!!!! Feisty does not mean rude and aggressive, interesting does not mean presumptuous and interfering, and courageous does not mean arrogant and shrewish.

• Love 8

OK the best thing of all is William is onto Ms.Hart !!!!! I hope he tells Julia about

her. Oh and Thomas😁 Yes I'm evil like that. I'm glad it wasn't a cliffhanger.

Alls well that ends well.😋

• Love 1

Ms Hart didn't realize who she was framing and did her best to backtrack it. I'm sympathetic to the position she found herself in. She knows as a black woman no one is going to help her without wanting something back. Her options are either sit back and watch someone else take the job she's qualified for or do one thing that gets her where she deserves to be. It's a tough call. She did what she could to make it right. If she's a murderer? That's a different ball of wax.

Really hope we don't get a replay of man in love with Julia wanting to take her away from William. That's been played out.

I still don't like Effie. She has no respect for George's boundaries and it's not going to get better. Don't like them together at all.

Other than that, I enjoyed this two-parter. Glad we didn't end the season on a cliffhanger and no one of the regular cast died. And go John! Act your little heart out!

• Love 3
On February 18, 2019 at 12:48 PM, blackwing said:

Ovation has finally stopped stupidly calling this show "The Artful Detective" and is using the actual name.  Season 12 airs on Ovation beginning April 20.

My original intent, way back when, was to catch up on Murdoch Mysteries by watching it on amazon and then watching it "live" on Ovation.  But I discovered that the ovation episodes were edited to allow them show more commercials and important parts were eliminated.  I guess I'll have to stick with watching Frankie Drake on PBS streaming.

• Useful 2
On 1/29/2019 at 11:34 AM, LilWharveyGal said:

I hope that's the last we ever see of Brackenreid's widow friend.  Ugh.

The widow friend is the neighbor, Verna Jones, who Margaret's always trying to out do.

Speaking of Margaret, I hated her in the last 2 episodes of the season. Who is SHE to tell Tom he can't set foot into the hospital until he finds out who's framing their son?

Does anyone know how tall Clare McConnell is? In the Acorn "Aftershow," Jonny Harris says she's the only actress he knows of who can convincingly play a Klingon OR a super model.

On 4/22/2019 at 5:58 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Speaking of Margaret, I hated her in the last 2 episodes of the season. Who is SHE to tell Tom he can't set foot into the hospital until he finds out who's framing their son?

I've hated Margaret for several seasons now.   She's always been a snob and stuck up. And there was that time she wanted to invest all their money in a Ponzi scheme.

I can't forgive her for kicking Tom out for an affair that he had before they were married. He deserves so much better than Margaret.

• Love 4
(edited)

In the episode "The Spy Who Loved Murdoch", Pascal Langdale who plays Montague Ainsworth should have swapped pens with...Shaaaaaaaun!

(Heavy Rain reference)

"How far would you go to save your pen?"

Edited by Agent Walt
  • LOL 1

The link to the vaulted archives doesn't work.

I am just watching Season 12 now, so I'm glad this thread started with Season 12... it's going to be hard to read about individual episodes and reply to them, though.

Episode 1 - I liked the season premiere... it had a good mix of humor and drama.  I enjoyed seeing Daisy from Downton Abbey playing such a stern confident person.  I can't stand the journalist, though, so I hope they don't try to put her and George together again.  Ditto for the new coroner's assistant.  I wanted her to succeed but she seems to have little gratitude.  It's almost like she resents Julia rather than be thankful for the opportunity.  Jealousy is not a good look.

Episode 2 - The second episode with Julia's investigation at the hospital was fun.  I didn't like that Julia didn't learn the nurse's names, but then again, I suppose she has been working in the morgue with limited live human interaction for some time.  It was interesting how the antagonistic Nurse Sullivan ended up being helpful despite (or maybe because of) being accused.  I didn't know "Elizabeth Arden" was Canadian or a Florence Nightingale either.  I felt badly for George because she was actually likeable!

Episode 3 - The first half was pretty amusing with Ruth and all the quirkiness.  I'm glad Higgins is going to be back at the station.  The shenanigans did drag on a tad too long, though.  I'd rather if George didn't perpetuate the lie to Ruth, since she was willing to marry Higgins regardless.  The matron of honor was annoying, though, and the ultimate culprit wasn't too satisfying.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

Episode 4 - I liked seeing some continuing characters at the hospital.  It brings something new to this season.  Nurse Sullivan is really growing on me.  The crime of the week was alright.  It's always interesting to see how they try to bring current issues into the series and incorporate it in a semi-historically plausible way.  I think a hospital plotline fits more than a politics plotline for Julia, so I hope they stick with this.

Episode 5 - I'm not usually a fan of the spy episodes, but I liked this one more.  It was fun to see Murdoch playing the French diplomat.  I wish the Julia jealousy parts had been cut, though.  I prefer her confidence and it was neat she got to help stop the culprit at the end.  The George subplot was somewhat cute but needed a bit more substance.

Episode 6 - I guess this was the Halloween episode?  That was just hilarious.  Higgins acting all responsible was funny.  I was impressed by how Watts' entire demeanor changed, more dramatically than anyone else given his usual characters' strangeness.  The insect motions and language must have been amusing to act out.  I too thought it would end with George waking up and realizing it was all a dream and he would start his new novel.  I thought he would pour alcohol into the potted plant and everyone would be back to normal again.

• Love 3

Episode 7 - Brother's Keeper - This was an intense episode.  The actor who played Watts was really good.  I know Murdoch was doing his job and it was not the father's place or Watt's place to exact justice.  But it was one of the rare episodes that I wish Murdoch had left well enough alone.  His dogged persistence to learn what happened resulted in him cruelly giving Watts those photos of his tortured brother.  

• Love 3
On 8/9/2019 at 1:38 AM, Camera One said:

Episode 6 - I guess this was the Halloween episode?  That was just hilarious.  Higgins acting all responsible was funny.  I was impressed by how Watts' entire demeanor changed, more dramatically than anyone else given his usual characters' strangeness.  The insect motions and language must have been amusing to act out.  I too thought it would end with George waking up and realizing it was all a dream and he would start his new novel.  I thought he would pour alcohol into the potted plant and everyone would be back to normal again.

As the episode got closer to the end, I got more and more confused and kept waiting for some kind of resolution - and when it ended with the Body Snatchers conclusion I was so shocked!  Until I looked at my DVR grid and saw that it was indeed the October 29th episode.   Also I thought it was so funny that Murdoch and Violet Hart are so stiff anyway in their usual interactions that their pod status was not obvious to their friends and co-workers.  Really liked this episode.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 6

Season 12 Episode 8 - Drowning in Money - I thought this was an average episode.  I did feel for the sisters but the older one was acting much like a sociopath.  

Season 12 Episode 9 - Secrets and Lies - I too am not a fan of long-lost children storylines, but this episode was well done.  It was refreshing to see Brackenreid on his own.  I liked that this gave John Brackenreid something to do.  It's rare they don't find the evidence to put the bad guy behind bars but I guess it made sense without the master Detective Murdoch around.  I liked the actress who played the Inspector's old love interest.  I suppose back then before birth control was effective, these types of things did happen.  I actually wouldn't mind if his other family moved to Toronto now that he's separated from Margaret, though I do like her as well (and I agree he was quite insensitive in breaking the news to her).

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

I don't have any sympathy for Margaret acting like her husband cheated on her and unilaterally ending the marriage. He fell in love with a woman before he met Margaret; did she think he came from a monastery?

I'd also like to know what she's living on because Margaret is a social climber who's never had a job, unlike Ruth who genuinely had social status and got a job when she lost her family money.

• Love 7

Season 12 Episode 10 - "Pirates of the Great Lakes" - I didn't like this one as much.  The pirates/fight club stuff with Brackenreid felt disconnected until the end.  I understand he was depressed over the break-up but I don't see him running away with that crowd.  The culprit was unexpected but not all that satisfying, and it was frustrating the pirate got away.  I was amused by Ruth in the hospital and I liked her chemistry with Julia.

Season 12 Episode 11 - "Annabella Cinderella" - This case was very intriguing.  It was nice to film on location rather than the backlot for an episode.  I liked how Watts was teaching John some detective skills, and how he ended up deducing who the real killer was.  I'm glad Annabelle didn't seduce John, though.  I was a little afraid of that.  It was a good idea to have William and Julia write a book about their new methods.  That was a fun subplot for them on the side.

Season 12 Episode 12 - "Six of the Best" - This episode was quite impactful.  It is neat they are still able to explore Murdoch's childhood in the twelfth season, and I also liked Watts on this case as well.  The clues were interesting to follow.  Ruth and Julia together were entertaining as well.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1

It's really easy to accidentally read spoilers when everything is one thread... rather annoying.

Season 12 - Episode 13 - "Murdoch and the Undetectable Man" - I've read HG Well's "The Invisible Man"... this episode wasn't that interesting to me, though.  I got lost a few times in the episode, and I wasn't convinced by the killer's motive.  I couldn't stand the subplot with Thomas and the lady friend.  

Season 12 - Episode 14 - "Sins of the Father" - It was difficult to see William so cold and angry.  The perpetrators were a surprise (they did seem genuinely nice), though the episode never revealed who they even were.  Were they employees of the rich family?  We should have seen William dig into their pasts.  Why didn't they try to kill Nelson?  Why didn't Nelson mention them?  At first, I figured they were the parents of the dead child seeking revenge for what happened.  

For much of the episode, I also thought maybe Nelson was the dead man and William's father was still alive and we would get a semi-happy ending. 

The hospital subplot felt a bit too disconnected in this episode, though I always like seeing Julia at work.  Her supervising surgeon is a pill 99.9% of the time.

• Love 1

Season 12 - Episode 15 - "One Minute To Murder" - I had high hopes for William and Julia writing a book, but I feel it hasn't been that great of an arc.  It was a bit ridiculous that Julia would be writing the book while working in the hospital (taking over a medical supply cabinet), or that Julia would get George to read the book and give advice during his shift.  I was wondering how William would allow George to give advice on the book, much less rewrite the whole thing for him?  I found it very disappointing that the Writers believed William and Julia would then take credit for the entire book if George had re-written it for them.  Anyway, that made this episode less enjoyable.  It was also sad that the male typist died because of Ms. Cherry, who couldn't care less, and the culprit wasn't too satisfying.    

• Love 1

Season 12 - Episode 16 - "The Manual for Murder" - Was there a special reason for a clip show?  I seriously do not remember any of these cases.  It was a pretty good story with so many clips, though it was frustrating Murdoch got it wrong.  Did the sister not have alibi's for any of the murders or something?  They both had motive, but what about the means and ability and know-how?  It's a little sad that this was the legacy of William and Julia's book, though.  I'm also not a fan of serial killer stories... they're just too sad.  Still, it was a creative episode.

I couldn't help watching both episodes of the finale tonight.  It was good... much less depressing and violent than some previous finales, but still very intriguing and engaging.  I should have written my thoughts before I watched Part 2 because now I can't remember what happened in which part.

Season 12 - Episode 17/18 - Finale Part 1 & 2

Even though the mystery was intriguing and I enjoyed the twists and turns, the storyline was a tad confusing.  I suppose Mr. Carmichael the father was covering for his daughter?  She must have been quite the shot to kill one guy and John and then run out without being detected. 

So are they keeping open the possibility that Miss Hart killed that Inspector with the paperweight?  I've never liked how ungrateful Miss Hart was towards Julia, and it was really testing our patience to wait an entire season to show her acting on her ambitions.  It might be fun to see Murdoch get the better of her next season, though.  I hope we don't have to wait too long for that.

It was quite a twist to have John Brackenreid hiding so much information and a contrast to his personality we've seen over the second half of this season.  It's a little hard to believe he was having sexual relations with multiple women already.  Was that normal for young men at the time?  It's a little sad we won't see him around the station if he's going to become an actor.

I really liked the scenes with Inspector Watts and Julia talking over their guilt (though for a moment there, I thought they would have Watts and Julia kiss or something).  Though you would think Watts would feel less guilty when he found out that John had another agenda when they went to investigate the abandoned building.  

I was starting to like the other doctor guy when he showed such confidence in Julia, but I didn't like how he seemed to be interested in her at the end of the episode.  We don't need that at all and it won't be enjoyable.  Plus where did the experienced doctor go?  He never showed up for work again, apparently.

I was also wondering where they were planning to go with Watts running and that guy he was racing against.  I almost thought they were trying to build up a possible romance, until they revealed the runner was Tom Longboat, a famous indigenous runner who served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force in WWI.

Thomas going to shoot that other Inspector was really stupid.  I was alright with Thomas and Margaret reconciling, though I don't think I would have minded if they hadn't.

Effie was very annoying in the first part of the episode, taking over George's desk at the station.  I do commend the actress or the writing for changing my mind about her by the end of the two hours.  I think she started to win me over when she showed genuine interest in George's book.  Though they do need to tone down the abrasiveness of George's love interests as of late.  

• Love 2

I've been watching some of the reruns on Ovations, and came across Season 11/3 where someone is poisoned by wine at a wedding.  Murdoch is convinced to do some wine tasting and gets sooo tipsy, lol.  I couldn't stop laughing when he went home and was all amorous with Julia only to pass out with his clothes on by the time she joined him in the bedroom.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2019 at 11:51 PM, Camera One said:

It was also sad that the male typist died because of Ms. Cherry, who couldn't care less, and the culprit wasn't too satisfying.    

How was his death her fault? He was the one obsessed with her. He was the one doing all the awful things to get her attention. Why should she care?

25 minutes ago, marina to said:

How was his death her fault? He was the one obsessed with her. He was the one doing all the awful things to get her attention. Why should she care?

Huh?  I was talking about the typist with the heart condition who died during the competition. 

The tension between William and Miss Hart was so thick, you could cut it with a chainsaw. It's going to be a long season between those two.

Can't believe George is seeing Effie. There were better women he went out with than her.

Julia has every right to be POed at Dr Talbot for her fatal stunt.

I don't blame Brackenreid for being scared because his daughter wants to see him and his family. But I'm guessing it will happen, and the results won't be pretty.

• Love 1

The theme of this episode was 'women against other women', which is disappointing. Not only was Agnes Cromwell against working women and suffragettes, Margaret called Verna a hussy as if it were only Verna in the room, and there was even Miss Hart who is anti-Julia.

Why is Brackenreid the one seeing the minister for counselling and not Margaret?  I hate that she's the one with the upper hand in this story. I want him to dump her and go back to his daughter's mother.

• Love 2
On 9/17/2019 at 9:04 PM, Victor the Crab said:

Can't believe George is seeing Effie. There were better women he went out with than her.

I was really, really hoping that the woman he was with wasn't Effie. We get to watch her violate his boundaries again and again. Joy.

23 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Margaret called Verna a hussy as if it were only Verna in the room,

I got the feeling that she was saying that because she had such a good time with Brackenreid and she was tired of being mad at him. This was a way to save face and appreciate that he was honest with her. If she blew up at him, then why would he ever be honest with her again?

Overall, I was underwhelmed by the ep. Hope it gets better.

Edited by marina to
  • Love 2

Sorry, forgot that the new season started last week. Completely missed the new episode. And for the record:

S13E01: Troublemakers (Sept. 16, 2019)

Murdoch investigates an explosion at a suffrage rally attended by Dr. Talbot (Claire Goose) and Julia after a man dies.

And while we're at it....

S13E02: Bad Pennies (Sept. 23, 2019)

When a dockworker is shot, Murdoch pursues an elusive witness and learns anti-union thugs may be involved.

Went thru the imdb cast list for episode 2 and it looks like were finally getting a minority policeman... I've been wondering when that would happen( always assumed a show with a more progressive protagonist would)  so I'm excited about that

• Love 2