Type keyword(s) to search

Murdoch Mysteries - General Discussion

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

I'm always glad to see the show, but this episode really made it difficult for me to suspend my disbelief at times. Brackenreid walking down a dark alley by himself when he knows someone is after him? Not very smart. 

I loved Murdoch yelling at him, and thought Julia was a little easy on Brackenreid. But maybe that's because I don't much care for Brackenreid a lot of the time. "That's the way of the world, isn't it?" is his go-to so often. Gah. 

Murdoch, don't you feel bad. You toe that straight line. I've often seen you temper things with mercy, so you keep being you.

I have never understood the reasoning behind Mrs. Hart's story, but if things are going to start being revealed, good. Her poor husband though. I know he wasn't a great guy, but after she got him off the drugs, they seemed to be making a go of it.

And of course her father witl return. "Sometimes they come back" must be the theme for this season. 

I didn't like the epsiode at all. I didn't find it believable in the least. And no Watts. Bleh.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 1

I'm really worried that this show has been on too long. Not sure why this season has felt so fragmented to me, aside from the fact that none of the episodes have had a complete cast. Not sure why George (Jonny Harris) has been only one episode so far, when he's a main character. Thank goodness there are numerable previous seasons for me to watch and enjoy, having come to appreciate Murdoch late in the day. I'll be sad, though, if this season doesn't pick up. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Season 16, Episode 14 - Murdoch at the End of the World

I am not a big fan of Pendrick (ducking to avoid the wrath of Pendrickians) but I thought he was well used in this episode.  I was very pleased to see Miss Struthers again as I had really liked her in her prior episode.  She worked wonderfully with Effie and Julia to solve the puzzle and then with George and Murdoch to take action.  This show does a very good job with female characters as individuals, not required to be tethered to a man.  

Generally, I enjoyed the episode. Good to see George and Effie back in town. @cardigirl- I think George has been in more than one episode this season but I do miss him also - my guess would be the absences are partially due to Jonny Harris filming Still Standing which I also enjoy so I don't mind it quite as much as I might otherwise.  

Admired William's adherence to duty and Brackenreid's willingness to let him join his family if he chose (was there any mention of Julia stopping to pick up the baby on her way to the bunker?).  Sort of fun to see the general public's reaction to the comet - enjoyed the music but especially at the end when the Murdoch family was viewing it, I was singing Mary Chapin Carpenter's "When Halley Came to Jackson in 1910".

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
11 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Generally, I enjoyed the episode. Good to see George and Effie back in town. @cardigirl- I think George has been in more than one episode this season but I do miss him also - my guess would be the absences are partially due to Jonny Harris filming Still Standing which I also enjoy so I don't mind it quite as much as I might otherwise.  

I thought it might be that the actor was busy elsewhere, and you are correct, he was in the first couple of episodes, while they resolved his marital woes. 

Just miss the shows with the full cast. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@meira.handAs a non-Canadian lucky enough to get to watch on CBC Windsor, I put together from context that he must be space related but only able to look him up later.  I too liked George and Effie just nodding along to "humor" him.  That sort of thing makes Murdoch Mysteries even more fun than your average show.

@cardigirl I too like it better when there is a full cast but with so many interesting part-time characters as well, I try to bide my time when regular cast is missing.  

Anyone know if they are doing the Murdoch after show again this year?  I was only able to see all of last season's episodes after the full season aired on Acorn but truly enjoyed the behind-the-scenes peaks at a cast that seems to get along quite well in real life.  

• Like 1

Murdoch investigates the fatal stabbing of a doomsayer on the eve of Halley's Comet.

I enjoyed this episode.  Pendrick is one of the few characters I enjoy seeing pop up.  He is so hapless.  He's always trying to do wonderful things for mankind and someone always takes advantage of his efforts.

I don't know why everyone was so panicked about Halley's Comet.  If it appears every 75 years then there would be plenty of people who had already seen it and knowledge of it should have been widespread. Any excuse for a panic, I guess.

It was so good to have George back - I hope he's in it for the rest of the season.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
14 minutes ago, meira.hand said:

For me the most enjoyable (and hilarious), was the short scene with "Rocket Man" talking circling the earth in low orbit while everyone looking at him as one of the crazies (love Chris Hadfield:).

I just realized that his stint on ISS was quite awhile back and not every non Canadian watched his videos from space in real time, like I did. So:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hadfield
performing David Bowie's Space Oddity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaOC9danxNo
Chris Hadfield on the ISS
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUaartJaon3LV-ZQ4J3bNQj4VNVG2ByIG

• Like 1

@Prevailing Wind Hasn't he missed stretches of episodes before, for e.g., when he was on his book tour, visiting the aunts back home, etc...?

I would also guess any given season it might depend on actual filming schedules of the two shows and how much he was doing new shows during Covid.  Often the best parts of Still Standing for me are the audience reactions when he does his summary of his visit and they are usually packed into a relatively small venue which probably wasn't easy to do these last couple of years. 

Don't get me wrong, Crabtree is one of my favorite characters and I miss him when he isn't there, but I also enjoy watching others step up to the plate - a good example was the Higgins/Watts pairing recently.  It would have been good with George but I really enjoyed the two of them bouncing off each other. 

Edited by Grundoon59
Tired eyes when writing original post
  • Like 6

So, I liked the episode quite a bit. It had the nice mix of humor and seriousness that are hallmarks of the best of their episodes. I'm very glad to see George back, and I hope future episodes will show more of him setting up house with his new wife, and will bring back Henry's wife (she's a hoot).  I was very glad to see Murdoch, Ogden, and baby together at the end. Love all of those touches. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, cardigirl said:

So, I liked the episode quite a bit. It had the nice mix of humor and seriousness that are hallmarks of the best of their episodes. I'm very glad to see George back, and I hope future episodes will show more of him setting up house with his new wife, and will bring back Henry's wife (she's a hoot).  I was very glad to see Murdoch, Ogden, and baby together at the end. Love all of those touches. 

Is that your pup in your avatar, cardigirl? So cute!

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Is that your pup in your avatar, cardigirl? So cute!

No, but I had a Cardigan Welsh Corgi once upon a time that looked very much like this avatar. Her name was Sherman, because she was large for the breed.  😁Very sweet dog. I miss her still. 

• Hugs 1
  • Love 4

Breaking Ranks Season 16 Episode 15 January 23 2023

Murdoch suspects malfeasance and murder in the apparent drowning of a military recruit.

Another very good episode of the old school variety.  No Watts and I missed him but it was still good.

I see Violet is already back to being Miss Hart.  Her old friend seems like a good person; maybe Miss Hart's life will take a turn for the better.  Since he (I've forgotten his name and cannot find it online yet) is a private detective, maybe he'll team up with Watts.

I see there's no new episode next week, not until Feb. 6.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Another very good episode of the old school variety.  No Watts and I missed him but it was still good.

I see Violet is already back to being Miss Hart.  Her old friend seems like a good person; maybe Miss Hart's life will take a turn for the better.  Since he (I've forgotten his name and cannot find it online yet) is a private detective, maybe he'll team up with Watts.

I see there's no new episode next week, not until Feb. 6.

Does Miss Hart still have her husband doped up?

15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Does Miss Hart still have her husband doped up?

Her husband was killed by her father several episodes ago. 

I did like this latest episode, as @Trey mentioned, it felt old school, with a large part of the cast involved, some humor, and a good murder mystery to boot. I'm sad we have to wait two weeks for the next episode, but if it's as good as this last one was, it will be worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I also liked this episode - the mystery was enjoyable, I guessed part of the who but not the why and liked the journey of getting to the result.  It was good to see Miss Hart and Murdoch working together successfully.

The secondary plot with the IQ tests was delightful to me - the right balance of lightness and the crime plus a good way to involve several characters not working on the primary investigation.  

I registered the preview but not the two weeks part (probably due to a long Monday at work - made it home with just time for a bite to eat before the show started).  Thanks for the warning - saves me sitting at my television next Monday wondering what is going on.  

Edited by Grundoon59
verbiage
  • Like 5

I'm finally caught up!

Season 16, Episode 13 - Vengeance Makes the Man

I went in fully expecting to hate this one and was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. Really loved the scene where Murdoch visits Brackenreid in jail. Violet Hart saving Brackenreid really tied her arc together. He's always supported her so it made sense that she'd finally risk her own life for him. We didn't have to watch her dad being an ass manipulating everyone so I could just enjoy the confrontation he has with Brackenreid. I thought both were great in that scene. Poor Arthur finally gets justice and Miss Hart finally gets redemption. I hope the creative team realizes how much the whole shady side of her was detrimental to the show and that from here on out we get our fun show back. Although consider how this show loves bringing bad guys back for the angst, I'm afraid we're going to get more at some point. Just hope it's a long time away.

I love Pendrick episodes and while watching this one I think it's in part because he's such a man of science that the episodes by necessity need to focus on scientific scenarios rather than putting our main cast through angst. Plus, Pendrick is so nice to look at, and that voice! Love Chris Hatfield's scene and the way the plotline hearkened to so many of the issues we're currently dealing with. The final shot, with Julia and William showing Susanna Halley's comet and commenting on how different the world will be the next time it comes around - and that she will still be here to see it.

My roommate remarked that here was an episode where both Crabtree is there and Higgins was shown to be competent. I figure it's because the storyline was so high risk that making Higgins comedically incompetent wouldn't fit into the tone.

Season 16 Episode 15 - Breaking Ranks

What's this? Two basic mystery stories with no angst in a row? OMG! 

Didn't even recognize Jonathan Goad. I remember when he and Mike Shara were young actors. This made me feel so old. Great plot, nice to see Murdoch and Hart working together. Really enjoyed seeing Isiah again and like that they're setting him up with Violet. Great to see Cassie getting her club back too. A well done mystery, with those fun IQ test scenes. Very old school Murdoch. More of these, please!

Edited by marina to
  • Like 4

Season 16, Episode 16 - An Avoidable Hinder

I enjoyed the episode - maybe I was a little distracted, but I clearly got who done it (in fact had sort of pre-guessed) but not entirely clear on what the motive for the original killing was.  Was it an accident that led to a cover up?  Was it all to get the girl?  Or was there some other motive I missed?

Favorite part was the Brackenreids & George.  I know nothing about handball but learned enough through the episode to follow the match.  George as coach was wonderful and it is always fun to see Margaret.  I was very glad Thomas reached the conclusion he did - also happy that the priest was not written in a too heavy-handed manner.  It was a good balance of people concerned about Bobby's future.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

@peacheslatour- I agree - that has sort of been his demeanor since his religious conversion.  I can't tell if it's an acting choice or directing decision.  I understand new convert enthusiasm/zeal but it seems a bit much.  I haven't even been 100% sure it is the same actor who played Bobby before he went to prison.  

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

@peacheslatour- I agree - that has sort of been his demeanor since his religious conversion.  I can't tell if it's an acting choice or directing decision.  I understand new convert enthusiasm/zeal but it seems a bit much.  I haven't even been 100% sure it is the same actor who played Bobby before he went to prison.  

Same! I kept asking my husband if he thought they were using a different actor. 

• Like 3

Season 16, Episode 16 - An Avoidable Hinder

I enjoyed the episode, especially the scenes with Murdoch and Ogden puzzling out the mystery together. 

And I always enjoy "flashbacks" into established characters' younger days. 

Pretty good storytelling in this one.  Yay!

I didn't like the storyline with the handball, mostly because I know that Inspector Brakenreid is a bigot where Catholics are concerned. But it ended well, and I was very happy to see the character realize that he shouldn't be trying to tell his son how to live his life anymore. 

How many episodes are left in this season?  And have we heard if there will be a season 17?

• Like 6

I discovered something interesting.  There is an old time radio program called the Investigations of Quentin Nickles.  It's about a police officer working in Toronto

around 1895.  There is also a feisty female doctor in the program who appears to be sweet on Quentin.  Another character is a newspaper writer who writes about Quentin exploits.  These mysteries were written by someone named John Richard Wright.  Can't find any more details but it's quite a coincidence, no?

Edited by luvmylabs
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 5

16/17 Ballad of Gentleman Jones February 13, 2023

Murdoch suspects a sequential killer is targeting hobos and enlists Watts to go undercover at a hobo camp with Crabtree.

I've been waiting for PI Watts to join up with the constabulary to solve a case and here it is.  I'd say it worked very well, even though Watts thought he was a failure.

It was a good story with interesting characters.  I did figure the Kid (and murderer) was Gert Dotson although not really too early in the episode.

I liked hearing Watts, at the end, expressing overall satisfaction with his life, now that he is back home in Toronto with his friends.

Not looking forward to seeing Dr. Ogden in peril again. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16/17 Ballad of Gentleman Jones February 13, 2023

I also enjoyed the episode - after the Watts/Henry episode, it was nice to see George & Watts working together.  Glad to see Watts finally realizing that he has a place in Toronto. 

Got a very big laugh out of George walking into the station insisting that he would use his own pillow or he wouldn't be able to sleep followed by him taking first watch because he couldn't sleep leading to him so sound asleep that someone was able to steal the coin. 

I must admit I lost mental track of Gert Dotson as a character but the reveal fit well into the story.  Did anyone else think the scene by the tracks when she was arrested really looked like not great CGI?  It hit a nerve with me.  

• Like 3

16/17 Ballad of Gentleman Jones February 13, 2023

I enjoyed this episode for all the reasons that I enjoy Murdoch. Lots of humor mixed in with a serious mystery, and a lot of the cast back together. Hooray! Let's hope Watts sticks around, and becomes a main player again. Daniel Maslany is fun to watch. 

Poor Ogden, chafing under her life. Was the ship Murdoch showed her a model of a yacht he was buying for them? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
On 9/12/2022 at 10:24 PM, auchic said:

16.01 - Sometimes They Come Back (Part 1)

Yay! Murdoch Mondays are back! 

So Sister Michael was the one who stopped the wedding! 🤣 But how heartbreaking, as they seem to be preventing George from being happy for money? Hoping it all sorts out next week and George and Effie can finally get married. Love that William tried to cheer George up by offering a zombie case.

I can't say I'm all that interested by Mrs. Hart, her lousy husband and her father.

Yay, Watts is back 🥰🥰

On 9/13/2022 at 12:49 PM, peacheslatour said:

She said something bad would happen but I don't remember what, specifically. She also said something bad was going to happen to some rando on the street but he was just bumped. I thought the whole thing was staged.

Finally got to see this Stateside!  I was a bit disappointed, I guess I was expecting more from a season premiere.  After the cliffhanger from the previous season of "who is it that is stopping the wedding", it just turned out to be one of George's aunts.  Have we seen these two before?  How many aunts does he have, anyways?  I think it was explained long ago that George was raised in a bordello and that his "aunts" are all prostitutes, is that right?  So the fact that they all have flower names, these are all stage names?  

I too thought that the whole thing was staged about the man about to suffer an injury.  Trying to figure out what their angle is in trying to stop George from getting married.

Watts in New York with Jack, not going to end well.  I did think it funny how excited about the New York bagels Watts was.  "So much better than in Canada."

I agree that I really couldn't care less about Violet's dad or whatever it is he is doing.

• Like 2

I think it was explained long ago that George was raised in a bordello and that his "aunts" are all prostitutes, is that right?  So the fact that they all have flower names, these are all stage names?  

This is all correct. George seems to have innumerable "aunts".

• Like 3

Glad to finally see Season 16 Episodes 1 & 2 in the U.S. on Ovation.  Poor Watts.  The guy can't get a break.  (Other than the pleasure of New York bagels.)  I was glad to see Brackenreid come through for Watts and the fellows in Greenwich Village.

I feel as if my head is on a swivel trying to follow which way Violet Hart's character is going to turn next.

Glad to see George finally getting married.  Julia serving the baked potatoes was a hoot.  William reading "The Wizard of Oz" to Susannah was lovely. 

• Like 4

S16, E1 and 2

This show needs more Murdoch.  I am sick to death of George and his various romantic storylines. and I used to love that character.

I do love Violet, and can't wait to see what she'll do next.  And - Roger Cross!

Was the potato dinner some kind of reference? Microwave?  I have to admit that while I've watched all the prior episodes, I don't remember them.  She could have at least cut up the potatoes.  

I think it's time for the show to wrap up, gracefully.  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mjc570 said:

Was the potato dinner some kind of reference? Microwave?  I have to admit that while I've watched all the prior episodes, I don't remember them.  She could have at least cut up the potatoes.  

When the house was first built there was a "microwave" room that George deemed suitable for baking potatoes (thus the potatoes were whole rather than cut up).  Someone was murdered in the room either just before or just after they moved in.  I've forgotten some details; maybe someone else can fill it out more.

I agree, it is time to wrap the show up.  One thing against that thought is that they are so close to the start of WWI.  I would like to see how everyone copes and behaves during wartime.

• Like 3

16/18 Virtue and Vice February 20, 2023

I'm very surprised to see no comments yet about this latest episode. I enjoyed it very much, although I knew from the start where Ogden's story was headed. 

It had all the signature elements of Murdoch that I enjoy, with much of the cast participating. Some humor too. It's difficult to wait for next week. I hope Ogden's stay in jail won't be too horrific. 

@mjc570 and @Trey I was feeling like the show might be past its prime earlier in this season too, but I've really enjoyed the last several episodes so hang on! 

• Like 6
On 2/19/2023 at 6:17 PM, buckboard said:

Glad to finally see Season 16 Episodes 1 & 2 in the U.S. on Ovation.  Poor Watts.  The guy can't get a break.  (Other than the pleasure of New York bagels.)  I was glad to see Brackenreid come through for Watts and the fellows in Greenwich Village.

I feel as if my head is on a swivel trying to follow which way Violet Hart's character is going to turn next.

Glad to see George finally getting married.  Julia serving the baked potatoes was a hoot.  William reading "The Wizard of Oz" to Susannah was lovely. 

On 2/19/2023 at 7:40 PM, mjc570 said:

S16, E1 and 2

This show needs more Murdoch.  I am sick to death of George and his various romantic storylines. and I used to love that character.

I do love Violet, and can't wait to see what she'll do next.  And - Roger Cross!

I think it's time for the show to wrap up, gracefully.  

On 2/20/2023 at 8:56 AM, Trey said:

When the house was first built there was a "microwave" room that George deemed suitable for baking potatoes (thus the potatoes were whole rather than cut up).  Someone was murdered in the room either just before or just after they moved in.  I've forgotten some details; maybe someone else can fill it out more.

I agree, it is time to wrap the show up.  One thing against that thought is that they are so close to the start of WWI.  I would like to see how everyone copes and behaves during wartime.

I agree that I'm glad George has gotten married.  Now I hope he stays married, because I too am tired of all his romantic interests and all of that.  

Also agree that they just need to decide about Violet Hart.  She's bad, she's good, she's bad, she's good but pretending to be bad, no she actually is bad, oh wait she's good but she's just in a bad spot, etc.  Enough already.

I think I remember about the microwave room.  But does that mean the whole potato was supposed to be some kind of novel and exciting meal?  Or was it a reference to the fact that Julia can't cook?  If it was supposed to be a fantastic meal, where were all the accompaniments and other dishes, like a soup or vegetables?  I can't remember if "Julia can't cook" is a running gag or not.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

I can't remember if "Julia can't cook" is a running gag or not.

It was, at one time, but never that much and not for a long time.

I know I get a little lazy about posting.  I have lots of opinions about the episodes but sometimes it's just hard to get all my thoughts in order and make a post that is at least a little interesting and coherent.

23 hours ago, cardigirl said:

16/18 Virtue and Vice February 20, 2023

I really enjoyed the "pornography" plot.  I like that they remembered Brackenreid is very arty, even being an artist himself.  I'm glad they saved the artwork but Brackenreid was right to fire the cop who saved it. He just can't take the law into his own hands.

The Julia plot was heavy going.  It was hard to believe the Port Credit (now a part of Mississauga) police were so stupid or possibly crooked to think that Abigail's phone call in the middle of the night wasn't important.  It is definitely not looking good for Julia although the verdict and sentence were actually a lot lighter than they had anticipated.

Regarding remarks by some of us about the show needing to end soon, the last two episodes of the season are The Long Goodbye Part 1 and The Long Goodbye Part 2. I don't know if that has any significance about the show ending but it does seem a coincidence.  Or maybe it's the long goodbye when Julia goes to prison. We will find out eventually.

• Like 2

16/18 - Virtue and Vice -

I have to admit that I wasn't posting about this episode because I was really not a fan and was trying to find something positive to say about it.  Both plotlines left me blah.  Then the ice storm struck and my energy/enthusiasm waned further - plus lost power at home late yesterday.) 

Was pleased to read your perspectives @cardigirl and @Trey - maybe I can be persuaded to feel more positively upon a rewatch.  It does look like the Julia plot line will be going on for a while (maybe the rest of the season) so I will try to put on my big girl britches and give it a fair shake on Monday. 

I haven't reached the point of being ready to let go of these characters yet but know it will not be my decision/control.  Will continue to enjoy it as long as I can but recognize that I may have episodes/story line that I like more than others. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

16/18 - Virtue and Vice -

I have to admit that I wasn't posting about this episode because I was really not a fan and was trying to find something positive to say about it.  Both plotlines left me blah.  Then the ice storm struck and my energy/enthusiasm waned further - plus lost power at home late yesterday.) 

Was pleased to read your perspectives @cardigirl and @Trey - maybe I can be persuaded to feel more positively upon a rewatch.  It does look like the Julia plot line will be going on for a while (maybe the rest of the season) so I will try to put on my big girl britches and give it a fair shake on Monday. 

I haven't reached the point of being ready to let go of these characters yet but know it will not be my decision/control.  Will continue to enjoy it as long as I can but recognize that I may have episodes/story line that I like more than others. 

I just love Watts so much, I almost want the character to get his own show. Maybe with George and Effie.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 1

@peacheslatour- if a Frankie Drake web series can serve as any indication, Watts and Brackenreid were still around in the 20s to tell her about a case they had worked.  Also from the series itself, George was around having made some sound investments that allowed him to retire early.  All this sounds like a good idea for continuing things.

Edited by Grundoon59
Remembered more
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1
3 hours ago, Trey said:

Regarding remarks by some of us about the show needing to end soon, the last two episodes of the season are The Long Goodbye Part 1 and The Long Goodbye Part 2. I don't know if that has any significance about the show ending but it does seem a coincidence.  Or maybe it's the long goodbye when Julia goes to prison. We will find out eventually.

Or maybe they're borrowing the plot from Philip Marlowe's novel of the same name. Or the famous movie based on the book. 🤪

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

The Write Stuff, Season 16 Episode 3

I like episodes with real people and with recurring characters, so it was fun to see famous authors like Kipling and Edith Wharton turn up here and for Lucy Maud Montgomery pretending she didn't know George. 

Another fun recurring concept  is when George makes suggestions that inventors or writers or others use, like the rear view mirror (to Ford?) or helping Lucy or Bean with ideas for their stories.

• Like 5
6 hours ago, buckboard said:

I like episodes with real people and with recurring characters, so it was fun to see famous authors like Kipling and Edith Wharton turn up here and for Lucy Maud Montgomery pretending she didn't know George. 

Another fun recurring concept  is when George makes suggestions that inventors or writers or others use, like the rear view mirror (to Ford?) or helping Lucy or Bean with ideas for their stories.

I keep waiting for George Bernard Shaw to show up & get inspired by Henry Higgins' name.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Too bad Oscar Wilde never went to Canada.

He did tour Canada, but unfortunately for Murdock Mysteries, the tour was in 1882 and season 1 of Murdock didn't start until 1895.  You're right.  It would have been a doozy.

• Like 3
On 9/27/2022 at 10:22 AM, Trey said:

The Write Stuff, Season 16 Episode 3 Aired 2022-09-26

I enjoyed this episode. I always like when they do one of these episodes, with world famous people, experts in their field, gathered together and a murder is committed. Of course, they can never murder one of the famous people, and a famous person is never the murderer.

They didn't show Rudyard Kipling in a particularly good light.  I wonder why.  The actor who played Kipling looked just like the pictures of Kipling on Wikipedia.

And I knew LMM really did remember George.  I thought she was just having him on for a joke but it was because of her fiance's jealousy.

I kind of figured it was the wife but wasn't certain. But there was still so much time left after they decided it was suicide that something wasn't quite right with that decision.

On 9/27/2022 at 12:35 PM, Grundoon59 said:

I enjoyed it but not sure how much I will rewatch it in future.  Always enjoy seeing more of Brackenreid and Crabtree & I liked the call back to Lucy Maud Montgomery from the earlier season. 

The actual murder left me a little cold - not sure why I should care about the victim given the variety of descriptions of his character/actions.  I was glad to see them using the Murdoch pictures the scene technique - hadn't realized how much I had missed that until this episode.  I even liked that it took him down the wrong path for awhile.

Also to me Julia felt a little shoehorned into this episode if only to give Edith Wharton someone to drink with (and is it just me or is Julia with a drinking companion becoming more of a regular thing?).  I was pleased that she was the one who got William on the correct path to figuring out the clues. 

Lots of historical characters - I knew George's helper would turn out to be "someone" but I didn't pay enough attention to any clues of who he was - I figured it out just before the reveal thanks to George's remarks on changing the character name.  The portrayals of all the authors were interesting but I wonder how much of their characterizations were formed by modern views of their respective works. 

I really enjoyed this episode.  I liked seeing all the writers, it was great to see Lucy Maud Montgomery, Edith Wharton and Rudyard Kipling.  I do have to agree though that I'm not sure why they would portray Kipling in such an unflattering light, unless this is actually how he was?  At least Edith Wharton's affair is a known part of her official biography.

I knew who George's assistant was as soon as there was something muttered about a superhuman character named Zantar, long before he and George have the discussion at the end.

• Like 4
On 2/26/2023 at 9:07 PM, buckboard said:

He did tour Canada, but unfortunately for Murdock Mysteries, the tour was in 1882 and season 1 of Murdock didn't start until 1895.  You're right.  It would have been a doozy.

Tis a pity. It would have made a great episode. I would dearly love to see how Brackenreid would react to him. He'd want an autograph but would he be too squicked out to ask for one?

• Like 3

16/19 Whatever Happened to Abigail Prescott February 27, 2023

To prove Ogden's innocence in the death of an alderman's wife, Murdoch pursues the politician with a vengeance.

I almost didn't watch because I was worried that they wouldn't be able to exonerate Julia.  So I'm glad I did watch; it was a very satisfying takedown of the alderman. And a great job by Violet Hart and the other coroner. At least the judge opened his mind up a little to allow the exhumation.  Abigail's poor mother - she finally realized that it was her action that led to her daughter's death - very sad.

I don't know if next week is a continuation of this story or a new one, but it looks like Julia might still be in trouble.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

16/19 Whatever Happened to Abigail Prescott February 27, 2023

I did find this week's episode more engaging than last week's but still probably not going to be high on my rewatch list.   I did like Miss Hart and the other coroner working together (and basically ignoring the audience), good police work by George and Henry and the reactions of non series regulars like the hotel owner being indignant about the cost of the phone call and Abigail's mother realizing what her phone call set in motion.  

To be fair, I probably should give it a rewatch- I was somewhat loopy due to recovering from a 72-hour power outage due to the ice storm which significantly interrupted my sleep for several nights.  So, my reaction may have been way off.

• Hugs 4