Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
The Crazed Spruce

Murdoch Mysteries

Apart from Jasper, this episode also had me thinking about William's sister, the nun.  (Her name escapes me.)  Did she have the same father?  And wasn't it implied at the end of her episode that she was terminally ill?

• Like 1

I am pretty sure, not positive, she had the same father.  She was terminally ill.  I don't remember if they ever actually said she died but I assume she did, probably not long after that episode.

• Like 1

S12E9:  Secrets and Lies

Sorry, but I thought it was an awful disappointment.  All the elements of the show I like (the humor, William, Julia, the inventions, the clever writing) were completely missing.  Much as I like Brackenreid, the character and the actor, I found myself unable to get past how shabbily he was dressed.  No wonder nobody would talk to him.  He would have completely failed in his mission had John not come and provided the vital information about the writer of the letter. 

Sorry, I just don't care about his long ago affair.  For such an enlightened man (who instantly accepted his illigetinmate, half black daughter), he treated his wife - and supposed helpmeet - very poorly.  How about communicating with her?  How about recognizing what a shock this whole second family must have been?

I did like the raven in the bar. 

Is it wrong that I hoped Ms. Cherry would Die? Ya it is☺️ But I did Hope! 

I really wish George had won. And I have to say I just love this show. I see that light bulb and I'm happy.

• Like 6
  • Laugh 2

I actually came to appreciate Louise a bit in this one. She certainly has a point about how she would be perceived differently as a man is a good one, as was the observation about not being responsible for how men feel about her. I especially appreciated how she didn't immediately spread the truth about George being the writer but instead gave William and Julia a chance to make it right with George before she spilled the beans.

I do take the point about being sensational overriding solid journalism. My roommate and I were watching together and noted how the entire episode was very much about 2019 concerns.

It's also always nice to see Oliver Dennis on my screen. As well as Paul Bates.

• Like 4

A clip show!

I really enjoyed it.  It was good to see Patrick McKenna again. 

I thought Colin Mochrie was really underused the first time he was on so I liked his expanded role in this episode.  Wonder if we'll see him again.

• Like 3

I liked this episode more than I thought I would. I thought it was going to be the best of the best things.

But finally it had me guessing.I was sure it was him,then wow it's not. then holy moly

it was!

he'll be back!

• Like 2

I was surprised to revisit some of these cases and I did like that these characters are all still out there at the end.

And seriously Higgins, just acknowledge that you have no idea about commerce and hold onto the shares already!

Not bad for a clip show. Not bad at all.

• Like 2

I'm happy that they left the door open for Colin Mochrie to return. 

In his last scene there was a British phonebox and U.S. flags so is he in London outside the U.S. embassy, do you think?

Broke my heart to see the clip of Jackson. I loved his character and I'd rather he survived than Higgins.

• Like 5

An excellent episode!

We have waited a year for the other shoe to drop with regard to Miss Hart's duplicity and doing whatever she can to get the coroner's job.  Wonder who it is who gave her the bullet chip to plant in the body. In last year's season finale I think it was someone from the notorious Station 4 she was conspiring with.

Poor older Brackenreids...the Captain says John is pure as the driven snow and it turned out not to be the case.  John made some very bad decisions and now he is paying for them. Maybe this will get the Brackenreids back together.

I hope everything is resolved in the finale.  I really dislike cliffhangers.

I did love seeing Effie Newsome and George together.  I guess it is obvious to everyone that they will end up together.

• Like 4

Dang Trey,now I have to watch again. Somehow I missed the Ms Hart thing.

I'll be back,LOL

• Like 1

Disregard Trey,I forgot I haven't watched the episode yet. My bad,watching it now!

• Like 2

Ok Ms hart can die ,I have no problem with that. and most likely she will. she is in with the wrong people.

For her to set up young John like that,she can burn in hell. I think this will bring the Mr and Mrs back together. Thomas will figure it all out,with Williams help.

I do think John will walk before we know it.

Please tell me this wasn't the last episode of the season!

• Like 2

Darkness Before Dawn Part 2 will be the season finale this Monday.

I hope they wrap up everything and don't leave us hanging until next season.

• Like 2

Thanks Trey ! I want the season  wrapped up in a pretty bow. LOL

• Like 1

I was wondering if Miss Hart was going to make her move to become the permanent coroner. But to frame Young Brackenreid for murder? O.o I don't see how this will end well for her. They will find the truth in this.

I'm sure Effie Newsome is better than Louise the Louse Cherry. But she isn't what George deserves all the same.

• Like 2

I think Effie is a pretty good fit for George. 

That was a pretty satisfying season finale.  I just wish Murdoch had been able to prove that Miss Hart had tampered with the body but he'll get her next season.

• Like 3

Miss Hart should be VERY, VERY NERVOUS next season. William knows what she did, even though he has no evidence. I'd imagine the visits to the coroner's office will be most awkward.

And speaking of awkward, that Dr. Dixon seems to have the hots for Julia. It could turn obsessive next year. Julia and William need to watch their backs.

• Like 5

I really must complain about how the women in MM are written - which is badly! They either seem to be shrews (like Mrs Brackenreid and Julia when she berated and slapped the doctor for helping her to stay a surgeon, and virtually all of George's girlfriends (apart from the prostitute). And of course, John's girlfriend and the coroner who are just plain wicked. Can nobody connected to the show write about normal good-hearted moral women - they do exist, you know!!!!! Feisty does not mean rude and aggressive, interesting does not mean presumptuous and interfering, and courageous does not mean arrogant and shrewish.

• Like 4

OK the best thing of all is William is onto Ms.Hart !!!!! I hope he tells Julia about

her. Oh and Thomas😁 Yes I'm evil like that. I'm glad it wasn't a cliffhanger.

Alls well that ends well.😋

• Like 2

Ms Hart didn't realize who she was framing and did her best to backtrack it. I'm sympathetic to the position she found herself in. She knows as a black woman no one is going to help her without wanting something back. Her options are either sit back and watch someone else take the job she's qualified for or do one thing that gets her where she deserves to be. It's a tough call. She did what she could to make it right. If she's a murderer? That's a different ball of wax.

Really hope we don't get a replay of man in love with Julia wanting to take her away from William. That's been played out.

I still don't like Effie. She has no respect for George's boundaries and it's not going to get better. Don't like them together at all.

Other than that, I enjoyed this two-parter. Glad we didn't end the season on a cliffhanger and no one of the regular cast died. And go John! Act your little heart out!

• Like 3

On February 18, 2019 at 12:48 PM, blackwing said:

Ovation has finally stopped stupidly calling this show "The Artful Detective" and is using the actual name.  Season 12 airs on Ovation beginning April 20.

My original intent, way back when, was to catch up on Murdoch Mysteries by watching it on amazon and then watching it "live" on Ovation.  But I discovered that the ovation episodes were edited to allow them show more commercials and important parts were eliminated.  I guess I'll have to stick with watching Frankie Drake on PBS streaming.

• Useful 1