Type keyword(s) to search

Season 15 Discussion

• Start Topic

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Succinct and to the point, Babalooie. Even Kennedy didn't wow me. Actually sounded bad in her lower register. Not that I could tell all that well since, as with every season it seems to me, the acoustics are atrocious and often drown out the contestant.

And would someone please explain to me the magic of Chevel Sheperd? A standing ovation for... that

Edited by adhoc

I assume tonight’s format was forced to avoid moving This is Us. I missed the coaches. I missed seeing human beings with personalities.

With that many singers back to back, it’s hard to remember many of them. I think that means popularity coming in to tonight is going to spur more votes than tonight’s performances.

Well I for one, and I guess I am the only one so far LOVED IT...there were so many fantastic singers it was hard to vote for only 12 or 13.  The black singers are knocking it out of the park this year. IT'S WONDERFUL! Kelly is going to win this year!

The Sonic Overload from 24 performances crushed into two hours is real lol.

Dots And Stripes, I think you are spot on, although I'm having a difficult time "sussing" out who is actually popular (not necessarily from the show's perspective, I think the singing order on each team gives a lot of clues as to who TPTB would like to advance from each team)...

1.) Who I would like to see advance from each team:

-Blake (Kirk Jay, Michael "Rockabilly Rick Astley" Lee, & he saves Chris Kroeze)

-Kelly (Abby, Sarah Grace, & she saves Chevel)

-Adam (Reagan, RAHDA & he save's Kameron)

-JHud (Kennedy, Franc, & she save's MaKenzie) *This has 0.01% chance of happening*

2.) What I think will probably happen instead:

-Blake (Michael Lee, Funsho & he save's Dave Fenley)

-Kelly (Kymberli Joye, Sarah Grace, & she save's Abby)

-Adam (DeAndre, Reagan & he save's Tyke)

-JHud (Kennedy, SandyRedd & she save's Patrique) 

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
1 hour ago, atlantaloves said:

Well I for one, and I guess I am the only one so far LOVED IT...there were so many fantastic singers it was hard to vote for only 12 or 13.  The black singers are knocking it out of the park this year. IT'S WONDERFUL! Kelly is going to win this year!

You're not the only one.  I enjoyed it too.  Since I DVR it and watch only the performances (no judge interaction, no back stories) I'm not that familiar with each singers's name.  There were a few clunkers and some who could have chosen better songs.  The performance that blew me away was the black woman who sang "Radioactive".  I can't get that performance out of my head.  But I love that song, so . . . . . .

I'm still awed at the suck that was the Team Adam power duo of bromance pair Steve and Tyke. Wow. Performances of the night for all the wrong reasons.

Also, I couldn't make out a single word of Michael Lee's song from Team Blake. I generally hate when people say people HAVE to do songs that are recognizable but here's a time I'll say it. Chris is not nearly as good but doing a song people know ends up in a solid performance on a night a bit shy of them...

I'm forced to root for Sandy Redd Ridinghood even though I thought her performance was weak, due to local artist status. However the J-Hud performances were the best of the night overall for me. Even if MaKenzie (and that spelling bugs) is giving me 'unwarrented winner' flashbacks due to her resemblance to Ashley from Project Runway that I just can't shake. (And I know that's horrible...)

I prefer the previous years' format of splitting the top 24 into 2 nights and then having the results on a third night. This seemed rushed to me. I thought Blake's team was the strongest and Adam's the weakest (particularly Tyke and faux Affleck), and I like Sarah Grace more than ever and still dislike Chevel, but I fell asleep partway through Jennifer's team, so I'll have to watch those again.

Kirk Jay is making it through on Blake's Team along with Funsho. The only way Funsho is not making it is if Blake has to choose between him and Kirk Jay. Kirk Jay is a pure country singer that is good. Blake is not letting him go. The third person is a toss up between the remaining three guys. They are all good in their own way.

It's times like this when one team is stacked that I wish they would do a top twelve instead of having three people from each team because I don't think  anyone on Adam's team is good. Maybe they can give each coach one person to get to the top twelve because I will be surprised if anyone on Adam's team last very long.

Hmm, while I like Kymberli Joye (and there's a name that no one except her family has ever spelled correctly, no doubt), I really disliked her version of that song! It was almost like an opera singer singing Radioactive. I couldn't understand a word--to me, her voice seemed too "full" for the articulation required to understand the lyrics. But she certainly "left everything she had on the stage", that was clear, and I commend her on that.  

Mostly underwhelming, and I like some of these singers. I thought Sarah Grace was good, but I'm afraid she'll get bumped for Chevel "cut-rate Dolly" Sheperd.

And on a shallow note -- some of the outfits tonight... wowza.  I'm all for theatricality, but there were some color combos that definitely did not flatter. And when I saw Chevel I thought, "somewhere, some grandma's sofa is missing its slipcover."

I think this year's Voice is team Jhud's to lose, with team Kelly a close second. Both teams have a great variety of excellent singers. Unfortunately, that might not appeal to Mid American tastes. 

I have a feeling that the guy with the long blonde hair and too short pants will definitely be voted in. 

Patrique's vocal ability is just ridiculous. He is completely over the top, and I am HERE for it. 

I don't know the name of the second singer on team Jhud, but, her voice was so luscious and effortless. 

The young woman who sung Worth It...the song and her delivery of it almost moved me to tears. 

I liked the rendition of Radioactive was powerful, but, I think she used too much pantomime. 

Does anyone know how songs are picked on this show? It seems so random. Some folk get up to the minute songs that just came out, like God is a Woman, while others get total chestnuts with no dynamics. 

@LucidDreamer: That is a very apt description of that dress! I thought to myself, "They put that child in floral drapes and boots." The stiffness is more like a slipcover, and the flowers make it Grandma's for sure.

Edited by rollacoaster
Shout out

VERY rushed format.  It is hard to remember the performances this way.  It is all a blur.  The one that stood out to me was the last performance.  Can't remember her name but it was a cut above the others.

I'm out. Sloppy diction is a pet peeve of mine and I promised myself that I would only keep watching this if a minimum of half the singers sang intelligible lyrics. I thought that was a low bar, but apparently not low enough. If I want to hear nothing but vocal tricks and occasional consonants I'll watch  . . . this show I guess, but I don't so I won't.

Michael Lee has talent but when I cannot understand any of the words I tune out and I’m done...next, please.  

I like this show but it’s boring me this season.   Kirk Jay is about the only one that interests me -his talent is phenomenal.  Last night wasn’t his best as I heard some pitch issues but I hope he makes it.

Surprise, surprise, SandyRedd and Kymberli Joye had to be saved by their respective coaches.

I think Blake had his disaster scenario where he had to choose between Dave and Michael Lee. I think he definitely wanted both in his 3, and was hoping at least one was voted in by America. But, Alas.

Adam's was the only team that felt like it went "chalk". To me, DeAndre and Reagan are by far and way the standouts on his team. Which freed him up a spot to take his passion project of Tyke along for at least one more week. RADHA and Steve had no shot at his save, I thought maybe Kameron might've had an outside shot to carry on the tradition of trying to beat Blake with a country singer but it didn't happen.

I feel like Abby was the odd one out on Team Kelly (Keith and Zaxai never really felt like they'd fit into her save plans). I think if Kymberli had got the votes over Chevel....Kelly might've saved Abby over Chevel. But once Chevel and Sarah Grace got the votes, saving Abby would've been overkill.

Wow the two people off of the Comeback Stage were terrible. I wish voting for none-of-the-above was an option...

The 'Comeback' people were pretty terrible, but as good ole Paula once said: "Song choice is key important!" That apparently missed the first performer of the two! I don't know what that was but it kind of deserved being down 85-15 when they took the voting graphic down.

I'm not at all surprised that Adam kept Tyke with his choice, at least it wasn't faux-Affleck who would be more often mistaken as him than be mistaken as an actual singer. Very deserving saves by 'America' here.

I think that of all the format really screwed team J-Hud the most, Kelly second. Also a no brainer that Jennifer would save SandyRedd. Even with her being a local I'd have preferred Patrique or Franc who were both classy and worthy. Nice to see that 'America' did vote MaKenzie through.

I agree that it was unfortunate Abby was odd one out on Team Kelly. I was thinking it would be between those three but I feel Chevel was a surprise. She gets to have Lynnea now too. I was wondering if she could have politely declined?

Let's see Team Blake huh? Oh, as I mentioned before, song choice made Chris a no-brainer I think. Kirk is going nowhere any time soon and I saw that pick of Dave coming a mile away. I did kind of want 'America' to pick Kirk and Funsho just for Blake to have a slight heart attack even if Kirk is 'Country til he dies' it would be a more interesting result. In the end this one was pretty predictable.

3 hours ago, adhoc said:

I wish I could see, numbers-wise, how the contestants ranked in the voting when you pool them together as one big group of 30-whatever. Who got the most votes, the second-most, etc.

Didn't they do this one season? 

With the new format and everything so rushed I never felt like I got to know the contestants this year.  Like Adam said, it was too soon to cut down.  So, not surprised I didn't care as much as usual about the ones being voted off.  This season just seems "off".

Fell asleep in the first minute again last night (strange how this show manages to put me to sleep so easily!), so I ended up watching just now. The main benefit to that is I got to FF thru the comeback performances after the first 10 seconds of each. They were really bad. That was an experiment that should never be repeated. They got no chairs to turn for a reason. Also didn't have to watch BsB or the other guy I have no idea who he was. Didn't like most of the choices but I figured Chevel would get voted in by......who exactly voted for her, anyway? The deaf? Teens? Dumbasses? Also knew Adam would save his bro Tyke.

21 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Surprise, surprise, SandyRedd and Kymberli Joye had to be saved by their respective coaches.

I think Blake had his disaster scenario where he had to choose between Dave and Michael Lee. I think he definitely wanted both in his 3, and was hoping at least one was voted in by America. But, Alas.

Adam's was the only team that felt like it went "chalk". To me, DeAndre and Reagan are by far and way the standouts on his team. Which freed him up a spot to take his passion project of Tyke along for at least one more week. RADHA and Steve had no shot at his save, I thought maybe Kameron might've had an outside shot to carry on the tradition of trying to beat Blake with a country singer but it didn't happen.

I feel like Abby was the odd one out on Team Kelly (Keith and Zaxai never really felt like they'd fit into her save plans). I think if Kymberli had got the votes over Chevel....Kelly might've saved Abby over Chevel. But once Chevel and Sarah Grace got the votes, saving Abby would've been overkill.

Wow the two people off of the Comeback Stage were terrible. I wish voting for none-of-the-above was an option...

I so agree with the first sentence of this post.  SandyRedd?  WHAT?  UGGGGGH.  That performance was like a BAD Opera performance. So over the top.  So melodramatic.  That's who JHud thinks is going to win this competition??  

I agree about Blake's conundrum but I'm SO happy he chose Dave.

As for the horrifying Tyke.  He's . . . . horrifying.  And Adam, as always, is completely transparent.  I wish HE could be voted off.  Both Radha and Kameron were way better (even  Steve was better.  Even I'M better.    And all this "oh no, what should I do?  oh, gosh,I just don't know what to do" - such bullshit.  Unsurprising from Adam.  

As for Kelly's team - see above. All these tiny teens?  I just can't with that.  And I thought the performance of the singer she saved was flat out terrible.  The song is terrible; the performance was terrible.  I LIKED the performance of the Adele song, but that wasn't happening because somehow REALLY LOUD with LOTS OF RUNS is always thought of by these folks - who are great singers - as AMAZING.  They know better.  Don't they?

Both comeback singers were terrible.

I think Kelly has no chance in hell to win this.

Edited by tpplay
13 hours ago, Sharonana said:

The comeback idea is the worst ever! There were so many better and more deserving contestants that got the boot that should have stayed. Ugh with this show!

Not getting a single chair turn is a very low bar. Bringing these people back is stupid. And who is this Ballerini person? Does she have a huge following that The Voice is trying to capitalize on?  It almost seems like they're doing the Comeback thing to give her a role in the show.

2 hours ago, tpplay said:

I so agree with the first sentence of this post.  SandyRedd?  WHAT?  UGGGGGH.  That performance was like a BAD Opera performance. So over the top.  So melodramatic.  That's who JHud thinks is going to win this competition??  

As for the horrifying Tyke.  He's . . . . horrifying.  And Adam, as always, is completely transparent.  I wish HE could be voted off.  Both Radha and Kameron were way better (even  Steve was better.  Even I'M better.    And all this "oh no, what should I do?  oh, gosh,I just don't know what to do" - such bullshit.  Unsurprising from Adam.  

SandyRedd was super hyped after her blind audition but has been terrible since. But JHud is drawn to "performers" and drama and willing to overlook a lot of vocal deficiencies. (She even saved the dude who murdered "Lady Marmalade").

Although this show is called "The Voice," once the blinds are over it might as well be "America's Got Talent," because so many other factors come into play, like age and looks. So we get Tyke. Good on America for not voting him through. Bad on Adam for saving him. Well, his "Ring of Fire" will remain in my memory from this season. As the worst version of that song ever.

Chevel is another one whose appeal is not about her singing. She's adorable, and America will love her, so I think she'll have a long run. Of all the teens, the only one who interests me (and that includes the over-hyped IMO Kennedy) is Sarah Grace. Kudos to you girl for bringing out the Hammond B-3. (Even if she didn't actually play it much). Way too many teens now on a show that originally was supposed to differentiate itself from American Idol by having experienced professional singers who deserved a break after years in the musical trenches.

Edited by bluepiano

I decided to vote for one person on each team Monday. I had no problems choosing one from Blake Adam and JHud. I dont like any of Kelly's team and think they're pretty much all terrible. I randomly chose one that didn't make it through. Since I cannot stand country, I was surprised at my rush to vote for Kirk but he was just so good, I had too. 

I'm generally okay with who got through.  The one big exception is Tyke, who does not deserve to be anywhere near the Top 13.  Radha or Kameron would have been much more deserving.  I might also have picked Natasia or Funsho over Dave simply to provide some more variety to Blake's team since I rated all three about the same.

My favorite performances from Monday night were Sarah Grace and MacKenzie Thomas.  Also good were Kirk, Kennedy, Patrique, SandyRedd, Reagan, and Chris (though all have had better performances).

On 11/14/2018 at 6:48 PM, tpplay said:

So.  Season 15 = TWEEN season?  Oh, wait.  They're ACTUAL teenagers.

TEEN season??

Uggh.

I think 4 out of the 5 teens who made it through are talented enough to deserve to have done so.  The one big exception is Tyke.  In any case, I don't think any of them will win this season unless either Kennedy or Sarah Grace go a on a run of great performances.

Cause I'm bored (I'm currently substitute teaching an Art class), Here's my power rankings:

13.) Lynnea Moorer-I don't know how you rank her anything other than last. Maybe she gets some sympathy votes...but that's about it.

12.) SandyRedd-guess what, the Voice voting public doesn't take kindly to singers who look they are possessed on stage. Sorry.

11.) Tyke James-Maybe there's an interesting Jack Johnson-esque voice in there somewhere. Beware of Tyke and the twitter save though, he fits the demographic to last a couple weeks longer than you would think he would.

10.) Chris Kroeze-Mildly surprised he got the votes on Team Blake, I just feel like he is going to get lost in the shuffle unless he just crushes a song choice/performance combo.

9.) Kymberli Joye- See SandyRedd; although she has shown (pre-last week) the ability to dial it back some, which gives her more of a chance to catch on in my mind.

8.). Dave Fenley-IMO, his performances have gotten less and less pleasant to listen too. He needs a turn around tonight. Maybe something big and anthemic and on country radio right now (not by Stapleton though, because it gets to be too derivative)..

7.) MaKenzie Thomas-Definitely an underdog, how does she standout in this sea of voices and adorable teenage girls?

6.) Chevel Shepherd-Raw talent, probably the farthest to go to being a polished artist of the four teen girls.

5.) DeAndre Nico-Solid all around, touching backstory....there's no real reason for him not to make my hypothetical finale other than I like my next 4 just a little bit better than him.

4.) Reagan Strange-This year's Aliyah Moulden. I think she's going to keep peaking at the right time...

3.) Kennedy Holmes-Wunderkind. It's just a matter of whether the voting public is as invested in voting for her vs. Chevel/Sarah/Reagan/(even Lynnea for a week or two)...

2.) Kirk Jay-Blake has had recent success with African American country singers (getting Spensha to the finale last season). He might have the most distinct voice of the 13 left. You never forget what Kirk sang by the end of the night (ymmv, of course).

1.) Sarah Grace-It just feels like Kelly is going to go back to back with young female ingenues. Although I hope they mix in some modern songs and not just make Sarah Grace sound like she's trapped inside an old time-y jukebox.

@PhD-Purgatory15 I agree with your top 5, although I really did not think Kennedy picked a good song for herself. If she can't pick better songs she might be in trouble - there are a lot of other teen girls this season that will probably split the vote.

Coming into this week Abby was probably my favorite on Kelly's team but she sounded so unpleasant on Monday's show I wanted to mute her. How do people not know that some songs just do not suit them?!? Bummer....

I cannot fathom why Adam picked Tyke over Rhada. Insanity. That dude cannot sing. Period. I guess I should be thankful that at least it wasn't that cheeser Steve!

I know I am in the minority but I loathed all of Blake's team with the exception of Natassia (Or however her name is spelled) and Kirk because the rest of them all sound interchangeable to me. I hate country and southern rock with a passion. The only person left on his team I like is Kirk (who I know is country but he seems so nice and sounds good so I can live with it).

I could not care less about the Comeback Stage. I barely care about the actual show let alone watching more "bonus" content online. I much preferred when the coaches could bring back one person cut from their own team rather than this nonsense. That girl is toast.

No one excites me. I bugged out after Kennedy sang--and she sang well for a 13-year-old, but even Kennedy would have been way better if she'd been a few years older, I believe, but then again, I believe children should be in school, not on a tv talent show--in favor of Frasier reruns. Now there was a great show.

Edited by adhoc

I just realized tonight we have a Kennedy and a Reagan in the top 13. Little things amuse me. I actually think it might be useful to compare these two tonight. I liked Kennedy's vocal better, but everything about that performance was cliche and old. Reagan at least had a very modern song and did her more favors.

Overall I think there were a lot of strong vocalists tonight. I'm ok with most of these artists hanging around for a while. My favorites so far might be Chris, MaKenzie, and Sarah Grace. Sarah Grace had a few bum notes, but I like her tone. I like Kennedy, I just wish she had picked a different song or at least done a different arrangement. 

5 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I cannot fathom why Adam picked Tyke over Rhada.

I can.  I told the hubby that he's just on the show because of his pretty-boy looks that will bring teenybopper votes.  The producers probably "helped" Adam pick him.

Edited by Babalooie
14 minutes ago, Babalooie said:

I can.  I told the hubby that he's just on the show because of his pretty-boy looks that will bring teenybopper votes.  The producers probably "helped" Adam pick him.

I don't think Adam needed help on that one. He tends to pick dudes he can relate to. A young rock guy? Yeah, Adam's type of artist.

I have to say after watching most of the performances on my computer, how impressed I was with Lynnea. She still has a huge uphill to climb, but if judging on last night alone she'd be a solid 5th or 6th at least.

Anybody else a little squicky that Chevel sang a song where the punch line was "Ain't going to have your baby"? Just me then, okay.

I thought Kirk Jay was not in tune, a lot. The high parts of that Lonestar song were just too high for him (or too high once you factored in nerves). Definitely stock down, but I'm not giving up on him yet.

Reagan has this weird thing where certain times in almost every song, the whole thing feels too "big" for her voice or her presence on stage. But then she'll right the ship and start sounding and looking like one of the more marketable contestants this season has (at age 14....probably 15 by the time any kind of EP would be released).

Tyke was terrible, like everybody expected. He should just sing nothing Jason Mraz song's and be done with it lol.

Seemed a bit early for DeAndre to hit us with the Contemporary Christian or Gospel song...

2 hours ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

I have to say after watching most of the performances on my computer, how impressed I was with Lynnea. She still has a huge uphill to climb, but if judging on last night alone she'd be a solid 5th or 6th at least.

Anybody else a little squicky that Chevel sang a song where the punch line was "Ain't going to have your baby"? Just me then, okay.

I thought Kirk Jay was not in tune, a lot. The high parts of that Lonestar song were just too high for him (or too high once you factored in nerves). Definitely stock down, but I'm not giving up on him yet.

Reagan has this weird thing where certain times in almost every song, the whole thing feels too "big" for her voice or her presence on stage. But then she'll right the ship and start sounding and looking like one of the more marketable contestants this season has (at age 14....probably 15 by the time any kind of EP would be released).

Tyke was terrible, like everybody expected. He should just sing nothing Jason Mraz song's and be done with it lol.

Seemed a bit early for DeAndre to hit us with the Contemporary Christian or Gospel song...

I found Tyke and his self-important mother ridiculous.  He can't leave the show fast enough for me.

I hope America does the right thing and gets rid of Tyke tonite.  He swallows the ends of all of his lyrics.  It was driving me crazy.  That and the fact that he can't really sing.  I also don't get how Chevel is still there.   I get it - she's the only female country singer left but she's also not that good.  Kennedy was my fave in the blinds but I'm beginning to see how "polished" she is.  She really needs to loosen up a  bit - her voice is amazing and I'd love to hear her sing something much younger than Wind Beneath My Wings.

40 minutes ago, radiochik said:

I hope America does the right thing and gets rid of Tyke tonite.  He swallows the ends of all of his lyrics.  It was driving me crazy.  That and the fact that he can't really sing.  I also don't get how Chevel is still there.   I get it - she's the only female country singer left but she's also not that good.  Kennedy was my fave in the blinds but I'm beginning to see how "polished" she is.  She really needs to loosen up a  bit - her voice is amazing and I'd love to hear her sing something much younger than Wind Beneath My Wings.

My husband and I thought Chevel looked like Carl Grimes with a body wave.

Kirk did have a couple of pitch problems in the Lonestar song but I could overlook it because he always seems so totally invested in whatever he's singing and it always moves me when I listen to him.  I love country music and, "I'm Already There" is so overdone in singing competition but Kirk made me stop and listen so good on him.  Besides, I think country music needs him - he brings something fresh to the genre.  He's my favorite this season so far.

I have a hard time knowing what to say about Chevel because her talent is undeniable.  "Little White Church" had some weird lyrics for one so young but she did a decent job on it and, IMO, deserves to stay.

Sarah Grace is good too but I wanted to like her version of "Yellow Brick Road" more than I did.  

Reagan's another one that baffles me a bit.  She's rough around the edges like Chevel but she sings way beyond her years and I find her more believable than Kennedy.  I don't even understand that statement because Kennedy is far more polished but I actually prefer some rawness vocally.  Still. she sang the daylights out of "Wind Beneath My Wings" - another overdone song.  

Unpopular opinion I suppose but I truly enjoyed Chris Kroeze.  Probably because I deeply love "Let it Be" and he did a decent job.  

I don't think SandyRedd should advance.  Her overwrought style of singing makes me cringe I think there are better singers in the top 13 that deserve to stay more than her.

48 minutes ago, limecoke said:

Kirk did have a couple of pitch problems in the Lonestar song but I could overlook it because he always seems so totally invested in whatever he's singing and it always moves me when I listen to him.  I love country music and, "I'm Already There" is so overdone in singing competition but Kirk made me stop and listen so good on him.  Besides, I think country music needs him - he brings something fresh to the genre.  He's my favorite this season so far.

I have a hard time knowing what to say about Chevel because her talent is undeniable.  "Little White Church" had some weird lyrics for one so young but she did a decent job on it and, IMO, deserves to stay.

Sarah Grace is good too but I wanted to like her version of "Yellow Brick Road" more than I did.  

Like some of the other posters above, I'm far from being a country fan. But both Kirk and Chevel really stand out for me. Kirk makes me believe everything he's singing, helped by the fact that it's not slick or polished at all (hear that, Kennedy?) And Chevel has that classic cowgirl sound from a bygone era.

ITA about Sarah Grace. I immediately thought of a previous contestant on Adam's team who sang it in the Blinds and completely owned it. She never had a performance that lived up to it again, though.

Last night was the first time I watched the show in its entirety since the first week of the season. The "package" and the interstitials where contestants mug and awkwardly dance or lunge at the camera did not do Tyke any favors.

I'm rooting for Kirk Jay to take it all. I am so glad that he's with Blake.

7 hours ago, radiochik said:

Agree about Tyke, but it was amazing to me how many of these people really can't sing, and they are in the Top 13. How did that happen? Hard for me to pick a "worst" of the night, with so many candidates, but whoever decided SandyRedd should just stand there and sing did her no favors. Her thing is performing, which can distract you from her vocal problems, which were on full display last night.

What is it with the retro song choices for the young girls? Wind Beneath My Wings and Yellow Brick Road were both so boring.  Sarah Grace was one of my favorite blind auditions, because for a young girl she showed a real feeling for the blues. But Kelly seems to not understand what made her special, and she's now having a hard time standing out from the other teen girls.

On the subject of bad song choices for young girls, I agree with other posters that Chevel singing a song about not having your baby was just plain wrong. I get that a lot of country songs by women express anger and hurt toward men, but there must be some other options. (And she smiled through most of that song, showing no connection to the lyrics, which is what you'd expect).

Holding out some hope that Sarah Grace can get back on track. If not, Kirk Jay would easily be the most deserving winner. Maybe the only deserving winner on this terrible season. (I think the huge drop in posts on this forum compared to previous seasons says something. I've always fast forwarded through the rehearsals and coach banter, but now I fast forward through almost all the performances as well).

54 minutes ago, Kaiju Ballet said:

The "package" and the interstitials where contestants mug and awkwardly dance or lunge at the camera did not do Tyke any favors.

Those have always been painful to watch. But Hawaiian surfer boy Tyke trying to do "gangsta" was truly cringeworthy. (Though a bit unintentionally hilarious).

Edited by bluepiano
31 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

Agree about Tyke, but it was amazing to me how many of these people really can't sing, and they are in the Top 13. How did that happen? Hard for me to pick a "worst" of the night, with so many candidates, but whoever decided SandyRedd should just stand there and sing did her no favors. Her thing is performing, which can distract you from her vocal problems, which were on full display last night.

What is it with the retro song choices for the young girls? Wind Beneath My Wings and Yellow Brick Road were both so boring.  Sarah Grace was one of my favorite blind auditions, because for a young girl she showed a real feeling for the blues. But Kelly seems to not understand what made her special, and she's now having a hard time standing out from the other teen girls.

On the subject of bad song choices for young girls, I agree with other posters that Chevel singing a song about not having your baby was just plain wrong. I get that a lot of country songs by women express anger and hurt toward men, but there must be some other options. (And she smiled through most of that song, showing no connection to the lyrics, which is what you'd expect).

Holding out some hope that Sarah Grace can get back on track. If not, Kirk Jay would easily be the most deserving winner. Maybe the only deserving winner on this terrible season. (I think the huge drop in posts on this forum compared to previous seasons says something. I've always fast forwarded through the rehearsals and coach banter, but now I fast forward through almost all the performances as well).

Those have always been painful to watch. But Hawaiian surfer boy Tyke trying to do "gangsta" was truly cringeworthy. (Though a bit unintentionally hilarious).

Tyke's Fleetwood Mac's pretty cringeworthy, too.  Good Lord he's bad.