Type keyword(s) to search

Season 15 Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, limecoke said:

Pretty sure Kennedy has this in the bag but I still hope Kirk can pull it off.

Congratulations, Adam.  You successfully shot your team in the foot.  Good job.  As far as I’m concerned, you got exactly what you deserve.  

Really? I don't agree. Kennedy got no higher than fourth place last night. No one who has needed the instant save to get into the finale has gone on to win. It's possible Kennedy could be the first, but I think she is an underdog at this point.

Adam's antics didn't help him any, but I don't think it doomed Raegan. Going from eighth place one week to fourth place the next also would have been unprecedented. Adam's problems this season started much earlier.

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

34 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Reagan's arrangement was unusual. It was a big pop/rock song in the early 2000's, I think. 

Indeed. 'Wherever You Will Go' was by The Calling, and was featured on Smallville. And:

52 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Reagan was brutal - I don't think I know her save song. Is it supposed to sound like that?

No, it's not supposed to sound like that (see above YouTube link)

I figured MaKenzie was going to get denied. That is a bummer but I guess she wasn't country enough. I thought she might have a chance as the young vote would be split but nobody voted for Reagan since she was terrible.

I only jokingly thought Chris would make it. I believe his recent "rebranding" as a country artist by Blake gave him the votes to stay. Good choice by Blake there.

If Chris were to "find himself" and announce his true calling as a "southern rocker" he wouldn't get the Country vote love that goes to a "country/southern rocker". Throw in Chevel and you can see why Blake's artists/country artists always do so well. He definitely has a posse of voters out there.

1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

As I have said many times, Blake is very good at this show. At no point before tonight would I have guessed that Blake would have 2 artists in the top 3 tonight. Kelly or Jennifer, sure, but I did not see Team Blake making it that far this year.

Totally agree, I even told my sister last week, this year Blake's not winning. And here he is with both guys in the finals.  Amazing. 

Ha ha, too bad Adam, you can't play with the others next week.

25 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Really? I don't agree. Kennedy got no higher than fourth place last night. No one who has needed the instant save to get into the finale has gone on to win. It's possible Kennedy could be the first, but I think she is an underdog at this point.

Adam's antics didn't help him any, but I don't think it doomed Raegan. Going from eighth place one week to fourth place the next also would have been unprecedented. Adam's problems this season started much earlier.

I didn't think they gave the names in order. Maybe I missed it. Do they?

I like it when a good African American singer goes for country and I think Kirk Jay is authentic (unlike the AA woman on Blake's team a couple of seasons back who seemed to know no country songs and everything she sang came out as R&B. A very new "country singer" imo). However, I don't think Kirk's that special. Ditto for Chris. They're fine, but ordinary, in terms of these shows.  So, I'm leaning toward Kennedy--she's got a good voice and stage presence, is poised far beyond her years  … why not?

I've come to think that some singers advance because of Blake when they shouldn't. And his pitches aren't even that good. Like, did Chris really want to be pigeon-holed for "the guys driving trucks and drinking beer" (maybe a rifle was thrown in, too, can't remember. Either way, it seemed a very limited demographic for this show -- and yet, there he is in the finals.

I'd like to see Blake (and Adam) take a season off.  Leave the country singers to others for a while.  I think Blake is just "too good" at this show, even when he seems to only be minimally trying.

9 minutes ago, Padma said:

They didn't give names in order, but we know this week's top 3 (Kirk, Chevel, Chris), middle 3 (MaKenzie, Reagan, Kennedy), and bottom 2 (Kimberly, Sarah Grace). We know Kennedy definitely placed below the other finalists.

42 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

11 minutes ago, Padma said:

We know that Kennedy did not get any higher than 4th place for sure. This was the order as given by Carson who explained that the top 3 were given in no order.

Top 3: Kirk, Chris, Chevel

Middle 3: MaKenzi, Reagan, Kennedy

Bottom 2: Sarah Grace, Kymberli

So the top 3 had the highest vote totals (but they were called in no particular order) and were automatically saved and moved on to the finals. The middle 3 had the next lowest totals and thus had to sing for the instant save therefore of those three the highest vote total any of them could have received would have been #4.

4 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Agree, I think Kennedy placing in the bottom 3 is telling.  It would be something if she could pull off a win...she may do it if votes split with Kirk and Chevel duking  it out.

Edited by Diana Berry
1 hour ago, driver18 said:

We know that Kennedy did not get any higher than 4th place for sure. This was the order as given by Carson who explained that the top 3 were given in no order.

Top 3: Kirk, Chris, Chevel

Middle 3: MaKenzi, Reagan, Kennedy

Bottom 2: Sarah Grace, Kymberli

So the top 3 had the highest vote totals (but they were called in no particular order) and were automatically saved and moved on to the finals. The middle 3 had the next lowest totals and thus had to sing for the instant save therefore of those three the highest vote total any of them could have received would have been #4.

Yes, you and Dots and Stripes are right. I don't know what I was thinking--makes sense!

Adam has a really weird, intense look toward Reagan and is so over the top in his praise. She's a kid -- she's fine, but the "poise and elegance and grace" or whatever he was saying.  Still not a whole lot about her...singing.  Maybe she reminds him of someone else or he's overcompensating for his blunder last week, but it's weird. Seriously, I don't know why anyone would choose him as a coach if you had another choice.

18 minutes ago, Padma said:

Adam has a really weird, intense look toward Reagan and is so over the top in his praise. She's a kid -- she's fine, but the "poise and elegance and grace" or whatever he was saying.  Still not a whole lot about her...singing.  Maybe she reminds him of someone else or he's overcompensating for his blunder last week, but it's weird. Seriously, I don't know why anyone would choose him as a coach if you had another choice.

I'm glad someone else noticed something.  During one of the clips earlier in the show tonight, when they were showing us stuff that we hadn't seen before (eg, Chevelle falling over in hammock), I thought that in the clip between Adam and Reagan, it sounded and looked like he was flirting with her.   Maybe someone else can tell me if they noticed that - it was the clip where he was commenting on her last name and comparing her name to his (or something along those lines).

Edited by ChristmasJones

There really is something "off" about Adam regarding Reagan. It's a little creepy, as is his umm 'homeless chic' wardrobe this season. He really does need to take a season (at least!) off. I feel for anyone who gets the "Yes! Oh... wait... aww crap" experience of getting a chair to turn, but quickly realizing that they are stuck with Adam.

Speaking of something being off -- Reagan not only sang horribly last night (I've heard fighting cats sound better) but she also looked... traumatized? Something happened to that girl somewhere along the line, around the time right before she was "ill" and could not sing. 

Maybe she had a severe bout of anxiety or something? She seemed like a different girl than the one who started in this competition. She was staring blankly into space and looked practically catatonic last night. I think somehow the experience has not been a good one for her -- perhaps she really is just too young/immature to handle the pressure. (Sure, Kennedy is young too, and Chevel, but they don't seem as affected by the nerves). It's no fault of hers if that's true. She may just not be cut out for such a competition at her age. 

But her demeanor last night was very troubling to me. Looked like someone who'd shut down due to anxiety/trauma/depression or something. 

I base my feelings that Kennedy will win on a three-way country vote split in the finals, her placement last night notwithstanding.  Country voters have to choose now and that forecasts well for Kennedy.  

However, I’m not good at predicting winners on this show so my opinion is not worth much.

I had to wonder if someone turned Reagan's Pro Tools auto-tune off, because she sounded really bad last night -- much worse than she had sounded all season. I think that everyone's been getting the auto-tune treatment the whole season, but it felt like Reagan was unassisted for the first time. 

4 hours ago, LucidDreamer said:

Speaking of something being off -- Reagan not only sang horribly last night (I've heard fighting cats sound better) but she also looked... traumatized? Something happened to that girl somewhere along the line, around the time right before she was "ill" and could not sing. 

Maybe she had a severe bout of anxiety or something? She seemed like a different girl than the one who started in this competition. She was staring blankly into space and looked practically catatonic last night. I think somehow the experience has not been a good one for her -- perhaps she really is just too young/immature to handle the pressure. (Sure, Kennedy is young too, and Chevel, but they don't seem as affected by the nerves). It's no fault of hers if that's true. She may just not be cut out for such a competition at her age. 

But her demeanor last night was very troubling to me. Looked like someone who'd shut down due to anxiety/trauma/depression or something. 

I think DeAndre pretty much said without saying that Reagan’s sickness was more mental than physical. From a post a couple pages back:

”Since DeAndre and Team Blake Shelton’s Dave Fenley both sang for the Instant Save, whereas Strange didn’t, he added, “We did our job, sick or not. I just got over laryngitis. When I came back, I still sang. It wasn’t none of that anxiety or none of that stuff.””

I think she’s been pretty terrible since the Lives started, but since she was the top streamer the first two weeks, I started to think I was hearing things. I do appreciate her picking “Wherever You Will Go,” though. That was probably my favorite song in high school and I’ve listened to the original a few times this morning since I’ve been reminded. 

I finally broke down and deleted my series recording on the dvr. It’s not exactly sour grapes over preferred contestants not making it (though my favorites were Sarah Grace, Kymberli, and Makenzie). It’s more of a sense that the live rounds are anticlimactic. I haven’t downloaded a performance in a loooooong time, and I always seem to enjoy the battles and knockouts a lot more than the live performances that seem to be all style and little substance. I’m also experiencing some fatigue from all the children who compete on this show and I miss performances with some true weight behind them.  

This current group of finalists? I can’t even make myself care. Meh.

Nope, I’m not jumping on the Adam is creepy bandwagon. That’s too dark of an insinuation to make based on a few seconds of a cheesy reality show.

Yeah, I think it’s more of a fatherly thing.  He’s always saying awkward things to contestants - if it’s true that she had such anxiety leading to a paralysis of sorts, he was probably overcompensating for her.  Did I hear that correctly at the very end of his comments to her “I’ll be a part of your life” or did he say “it’ll (the show) be a part of your life”?  That was like woah.  Maybe he will, who knows.  

I know Blake and country tend to do well on this show, but its really going too far when someone like Chris is in the final instead of MaKenzie or Sarah Grace.  I also find it unfathomable that Reagan wasn't in the bottom 2.   Perhaps the Adam controversy actually helped her, because her performances certainly haven't merited her being in the middle three last night.

5 hours ago, limecoke said:

I base my feelings that Kennedy will win on a three-way country vote split in the finals, her placement last night notwithstanding.  Country voters have to choose now and that forecasts well for Kennedy.  

However, I’m not good at predicting winners on this show so my opinion is not worth much.

I think Kennedy deserves to win and would vote for her if I could.  Its really hard to go from fourth to first, but as you note, she is the only non-country artist left.  She's also easily the best and most consistent vocalist left, which you would think would count for something on a show called "The Voice".  Still, I think it would be a major upset if she won.  If she doesn't win, then I hope Kirk does.  Despite his misstep this week, he has been one of the best performers all season and does have a somewhat unique easily recognizable voice.

Nope, I’m not jumping on the Adam is creepy bandwagon. That’s too dark of an insinuation to make based on a few seconds of a cheesy reality show.

I'm not calling him doing anything harmful, but he's oddly attatched to her and has her on a huge pedestal for no apparent musical reason... it's just... odd. Not creepy Uncle Adam odd, just really obsessively odd to the point I wonder how all the effusive praise registers with her.

7 hours ago, LucidDreamer said:

She seemed like a different girl than the one who started in this competition. She was staring blankly into space and looked practically catatonic last night.

I hear you there, she wasn't the bubbly kid who loved singing last night I think the comp really ground her down mentally. Who knows how she feels about the controversy swirling about her. It couldn't have helped if she was already feeling emotionally strung out.

What really bothered me the most last night is that Mackenzie sang her FACE off! The girl SANG that song.

And it mattered not at all.

I said it before...this season is set up for a teen to win.

I think from now on out I'm only going to watch the auditions. Once they get to the knockouts/once all the steals are over with I'm done. 

And yes, I wholeheartedly agree. Adam (and Blake too!) needs to take a season off. They both do. They ALL do. Give us 4 fresh faces.

This show sucks so bad this season I've been skipping the whole second hour. Just not worth it. Now that the (in my opinion) only two REAL singers are gone? Not worth watching. We all know Kennedy's gonna win.  Even though...

And yeah, I think Reagan's "sickness" was the anxiety attack to end all anxiety attacks. And with all the vitriol heaved her way lately? She just. Couldn't. Do it. Her voice was awful last night, and whoever did her hair needs to be fired. Poor kid...I wonder how much of this was her idea...

Yes, yes, yes, please make Adam take next season off!!!  He has tainted the show with his adoration of Reagan and I almost think she was creeped out by his praising of her this week.  I know I was.  He makes it sound like she is sophisticated beyond her years and I sure don't see it.  She is a young teen and that is how she acts.

That last song was very painful to even listen to - if she watches a replay of the show and thinks that was her sounding good, I would be very surprised.  Very flat, just bad.

Of those remaining, I really love Kirk's voice the best, but he needs to work on his stage presence - he is not pleasant to watch.  Not sure what it is. 

I would bet that Kennedy will win and I will be happy for her.

2 hours ago, hnygrl said:

What really bothered me the most last night is that Mackenzie sang her FACE off! The girl SANG that song.

But even a show called the voice it is not all about hitting the right notes. Garth Brooks once said that he didn't have the best voice out there but he was going to give it his all as a performer.  While she does have a nice voice she is not a performer. She's bland.  On a show that requires people to vote for you, you have got to be memorable and I always forgot about her the moment she was off my tv screen.

Mackenzie you were the best and most consistent singer in the competition.  If you had "THE LOOK", you would have won this thing.

Read an article once about how many legendary singers would not get an opportunity today.  They lacked "THE LOOK"!

I wish THE VOICE was truly about the voice.  Thank you for singing so wonderfully.

3 hours ago, cinsays said:

Of those remaining, I really love Kirk's voice the best, but he needs to work on his stage presence - he is not pleasant to watch.  Not sure what it is. 

I agree. When he's singing, he makes me feel that raw connection, that he really feels and believes everything he's singing. But he doesn't rely on his body (as based on his attempt to incorporate some dance, it doesn't come naturally to him) so yeah, he does need some help performing and just being in the spotlight. 

When he's not singing, he looks really uncomfortable and speaks in a flat tone, like he's wary of anything positive being said. That type of guardedness is really a contrast to how Blake comes off, and other people representing country on the show (Hi, Kelly!)

I don't really listen to country, but when they had Trace Adkins as a mentor, I remember being surprised that he seemed really dour, but it worked as his overall persona. With more interactions with the public and other people in the industry, I hope Kirk will feel comfortable enough to let the side of him that clearly loves his momma and tap into heartbreak and longing show other than in his voice.

I have a feeling that even if Kennedy doesn't win, she's probably follow in Jennifer Hudson's footsteps as a "non-winner" and pick up All The Awards.  I did hope that McKenzie would get that spot, though.

Edited by Kaiju Ballet
Because Trace Adkins isn't Travis Tritt
5 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I'm not calling him doing anything harmful, but he's oddly attatched to her and has her on a huge pedestal for no apparent musical reason... it's just... odd. Not creepy Uncle Adam odd, just really obsessively odd to the point I wonder how all the effusive praise registers with her.

I hear you there, she wasn't the bubbly kid who loved singing last night I think the comp really ground her down mentally. Who knows how she feels about the controversy swirling about her. It couldn't have helped if she was already feeling emotionally strung out.

Yep, although I won't specify what "creepy Adam" means or doesn't mean. I only observed, don't understand, it.  It just...was a very weird, unusual vibe from him after all these seasons, underscored by how he loves to talk about her personal qualities--and maturity and sophistication supposedly beyond her years (I, too, don't see it)--rather than her singing.  Where his focus really should be, particularly when she's already been eliminated and he's not making a sales pitch for votes anymore.  I also thought Reagan now lacks the bubbliness she started with and I hope she'll get it back now that she doesn't have to do this. She also seemed kind of "over" Adam, when you might expect a kid her age to be, if anything, kind of star-struck, especially since she was clearly -his- favorite. Maybe she's just tired.

The Reagan/DeAndre thing just makes Adam's decline as a coach more obvious to me. I used to overlook his favoritism because I thought he made some interesting song choices (at least for singers he favored) and sometimes pushed people to do things musically that they didn't realize they could do. Now that his tired schtick with Blake isn't providing lighter moments...and his comments about performances aren't very insightful...and he was inexcusable re: DeAndre.... he really has outlasted his time on the show, imo. 

And, while Blake is everybody's pal--coaches and singers--and always nice to everyone, keeping a friendly vibe in a "competition", he doesn't really bring much insight or musical knowledge at all, and I'm a little tired of that, too.  He gets singers through somehow--this time it seems with very little reason for it re: Chris--but he doesn't bring much either.  I don't mind Jennifer this season (so much less of the "We here at J-Hud productions!") and her chemistry with Kelly is nice, so they can stay. :)

re: McKenzie.  Yes, she didn't have The Look that would have probably made her also The Winner.  But she got remarkably far with the look that she -does- have. And, more to the point, talented as she is, it's not really just looks. Sometimes people have a charisma that pops through--it's rare--but can make a performer something special regardless of not being a  "gorgeous" 20-something or "adorable/cute teen".  She doesn't have that "It" factor either.  So I think she did very well, considering (then again, I think she's very talented, but just listening to her without watching I never felt she clearly was head and shoulders above everyone else, week after week. So it's not like she was heavily penalized for not being gorgeous.

Three of the finalists are okay, even with their weaknesses. However, I really don't think Chris belongs there. Nice guy, but really not musically a stand out in anyway that I can see.

Edited by Padma

I would like to second what several others seem to be getting at.  Being a great singer isn't just about the sounds coming out of your mouth.  It's also not just about physical attractiveness.  You have to be able to sell the song, make people feel the emotions or story the song is intended to convey, beyond just the pleasure you might get from hearing nice sounds.  I think its no coincidence that the first two finalists last night were among the best contestants this season at doing exactly that, at least when it came to their better performances. 

When Kirk sang "In Case You Didn't Know", you could feel exactly what a guy might be feeling while begging forgiveness from an ex.  JHud got so wrapped up in the emotion of the performance that at one point she gasped out "tell her" in encouragement, as if Kirk were really pleading with his girl rather than performing a song on stage.   He achieved something similar when he sang "I'm Already There" and "Tomorrow".

When Chevel sang "Travelin' Soldier" you could just picture her as that young innocent waitress with a bow in her hair, who falls for a young solider on his way to war.   Chevel has had better vocal performances, but that remains my favorite of hers and one of the overall best of the season.   In most of her songs, Chevel has been at least believable.

Even Kennedy has had her moments.  What stunned me when she initially announced her age during the Blind Auditions wasn't that she was so vocally accomplished for a 13 year old, but rather that she made "Turning Tables" so believable.  It's also what made her "Greatest Love of All" one of the best (if not the best) performances of the season.  Unfortunately she did not always achieve this, which got her the bot moniker.  But at least when she sang "Me Too" ( a song I detest) and in her duet with Reagan, she genuinely seemed to be having a blast.  There was nothing bot about it.

In contrast, I never came away from watching a MaKenzie performance with more than an appreciation for her considerable vocal talent.  My problem with Chris is similar - he sings every song with the same expression on his face and basically the same delivery.  The closest he got to communicating any real feeling for a song was on "Burning House".

On 12/12/2018 at 10:06 AM, Dots And Stripes said:

I agree; I do think that how he goes on and on.... and on about her is kinda creepy. I don't mean in a dark, insinuation kinda creepy way, just 'it's too much, stop, you're going overboard' kinda like a beauty pageant host smarm overload kinda creepy.

On 12/12/2018 at 9:47 AM, limecoke said:

The only reason I don't agree with this is because Country is not one genre.  And Chevel is pretty different from the Country that's playing right now which has drifted a lot more towards a pop-country type of sound. I really, really wanted to hear Chevel sing some early--like debut album early--Taylor Swift when Taylor was barely pop, and a LOT more country sounding because that is a style that I believe Chevel can do. And that is a demographic that Chevel can reach that neither Kirk nor Chris can (oh, she's got the Kelly fanbase on her side too). Plus, other than being a brunette instead of a blonde, she looks a lot like Taylor at that age: Long curly hair, sparkling blue eyes, dresses with cowboy boots.) Anyone who doesn't think that Chevel is as marketable as they come forgot what Taylor Swift's sound and look was when she first hit the music scene... and Chevel Shepard is a much better singer than Taylor Swift.

Edited by driver18
15 hours ago, driver18 said:

I agree; I do think that how he goes on and on.... and on about her is kinda creepy. I don't mean in a dark, insinuation kinda creepy way, just 'it's too much, stop, you're going overboard' kinda like a beauty pageant host smarm overload kinda creepy.

The only reason I don't agree with this is because Country is not one genre.  And Chevel is pretty different from the Country that's playing right now which has drifted a lot more towards a pop-country type of sound. I really, really wanted to hear Chevel sing some early--like debut album early--Taylor Swift when Taylor was barely pop, and a LOT more country sounding because that is a style that I believe Chevel can do. And that is an demographic that Chevel can reach that neither Kirk nor Chris can (oh, she's got the Kelly fanbase on her side too). Plus, other than being a brunette instead of a blonde, she looks a lot like Taylor at that age: Long curly hair, sparkling blue eyes, dresses with cowboy boots.) Anyone who doesn't think that Chevel is as marketable as they come forgot what Taylor Swift's sound and look was when she first hit the music scene... and Chevel Shepard is a much better singer than Taylor Swift.

I agree with those that said that Reagan not only sounded awful but she looked scared in both Monday and Tuesday shows.  It really showed when she did her duet with Kennedy since the latter was having fun with it.  I think anxiety really got to her.  I'm not going to say that Adam is creepy but I call bull on everything being fine with DeAndre.  Aside from this, Reagan really needs to work on her low notes.  Even before this week, her verses or the beginning of her songs sound terrible because the notes are lower.

The other three teens have a lot of potential although I agree that they would be even better in a few years.  I don't like country but I can see Chevel as marketable.  Kennedy at this age is similar to Danielle when she won the Voice.  They have great voices but sometimes they are robotic.  Their performance quality will improve with age.  As it is, Kennedy comes off older since she is polished.  She did remind me of a young Whitney when she sang GLOA and I did enjoy her dancing in Me Too.  Sarah Grace has a lot of musical talent.  Her Amazing Grace was controversial but I loved it.

Don't know why Chris is in the finals but I do like Kirk.  He's hit some bum notes but does sing emotionally.  I thought MacKenzie and Kymberli had beautiful voices.  Loved their duet on Monday.

19 hours ago, Padma said:

And, while Blake is everybody's pal--coaches and singers--and always nice to everyone, keeping a friendly vibe in a "competition", he doesn't really bring much insight or musical knowledge at all, and I'm a little tired of that, too.  He gets singers through somehow--this time it seems with very little reason for it re: Chris--but he doesn't bring much either. 

I think you have judged Blake wrong. I believe that he uses the drunk, good nature country bumpkin to hide a very smart and savvy person. He knows music especially country music. 

Chris is what I so badly want to hear on radio and my top ten. I want Southern Rock. He has found his groove and there are a ton of people who miss that era/style of music.

I don’t need a singer to have a perfect voice or sing a song perfectly. I want to be entertained. I love Johnny Cash and there was no way he had a perfect voice. It’s the imperfects that sometimes makes a song great. Hitting all the right notes sometimes is not as good a version of a song as a quiver here or there.

8 hours ago, GoGamecox said:

I agree with other posters who think the contest is rigged in favor of the teenage contestants. It seems like that's where the money is in signing new talent on these kinds of shows these days. 

You may have a point.  I've checked to see just what the winners do with Republic Records, who the recording contracts are with, and it looks like Sawyer Freidricks is the only one who Republic really got involved with.  The others just had one single release or there's just no mention about an album or Republic.  I've gone back to Craig Wayne Boyd and Sawyer is the only one that I can tell that they really did anything for. Kohanski is supposed to have a release next year....we'll see.  It often just never happens.  But, at least they got their $100,000.00. 

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:47 AM, limecoke said:

I hope this turns out to be true. I'd love to see Hudson win. But what a shame it is that she couldn't have won with the actual VOICE this season, MaKenzie.

On 12/12/2018 at 6:33 PM, Kaiju Ballet said:

.... I  have a feeling that even if Kennedy doesn't win, she's probably follow in Jennifer Hudson's footsteps as a "non-winner" and pick up All The Awards.  ....

It’s too bad she’s on The Voice and not the show Jennifer Hudson didn’t win.

On 12/12/2018 at 12:07 PM, viajero said:

I know Blake and country tend to do well on this show, but its really going too far when someone like Chris is in the final instead of MaKenzie or Sarah Grace. 

I agree! I honestly don't know why I keep watching - it's all country! Chris seems like a nice guy, but he is so mediocre, and it drives me crazy that people vote for Blake's team regardless of who it is just because it's Blake. It's so predictable and boring. This show needs a shake up. I think I'm done until Blake and Adam are gone, especially after the nonsense of the last two weeks with Adam. I'm glad he's got no one in the finale. I like Kirk, but he sounds downright unpleasant when it's not the right song, plus I'm just sick of Blake winning. I hope Kennedy wins because her voice is spectacular, especially compared to who is left. She is already a polished performer and I think she could do really well if she relaxes and shows more personality. Remember, Carrie Underwood was a total robot too when she won AI.

2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I agree! I honestly don't know why I keep watching - it's all country! Chris seems like a nice guy, but he is so mediocre, and it drives me crazy that people vote for Blake's team regardless of who it is just because it's Blake. It's so predictable and boring. This show needs a shake up. I think I'm done until Blake and Adam are gone, especially after the nonsense of the last two weeks with Adam. I'm glad he's got no one in the finale. I like Kirk, but he sounds downright unpleasant when it's not the right song, plus I'm just sick of Blake winning. I hope Kennedy wins because her voice is spectacular, especially compared to who is left. She is already a polished performer and I think she could do really well if she relaxes and shows more personality. Remember, Carrie Underwood was a total robot too when she won AI.

It’s no secret that I 💚Blake and country music, but I agree with your entire post. (I didn’t watch AI the season that Carrie won, but I trust your assessment.) In fact, all of my friends & ppl that I know, including my doctor & hairdresser, watch the show. Everyone I know loves Blake, even if they can’t stand country music, but we all agree his team has sucked over the last few seasons. I started to notice a huge difference for Team Blake the season that Sundance won. Was. Not. A. Fan.

That said, no one that I know is happy about Chris & Kirk making it to the finals, including myself. We’re also baffled about how Chevel made it there as well. I do understand how it happens though; folks vote for contestant X because of every other reason except for their ability to actually sing.

There are rabid fans in all camps who do vote blindly because they can. The last season of Dancing w/ Stars is a prime example of what’s wrong with public voting on TV shows. Reagan heading to the semi finals with a “victory” margin of one percent, when she didn’t even sing, supports my claim. Maybe I’m crazy, but I’d love to see a change in voting systems that is a much more accurate representation of the viewers. Using 6 cell phones to vote X times for one person is inflated voting, period. The west coast is left out of the voting process when it really counts and I find that disparity to be alarming.

Out of the top 8, the only ones I liked (and not even consistently) were MaKenzie and Kennedy. I said it a few weeks ago: Chris isn’t my cup of tea and while I think Kirk has real potential, he still needs vocal lessons. I won’t be mad if he or Kennedy win, but no one in that top 4 is ready to record an album or perform live.

Kennedy is one of those rare prodigies that will be a superstar one day, but her age is currently working against her. This is why I don’t care for teens on a competition show, no matter how brilliant they are. Kennedy should finish school, go to college (as long as it’s not Berklee* - haha!) and participate  in all of the musical theatre that’s available to her...and then think about singing as a career. Her voice is still changing as well as her life experiences. For as great as she is now, imagine how fantastic she’ll be in 8 years, especially when she can connect to the lyrics and can use certain experiences to color her performances. I don’t see the big rush to be famous before one is able to legally drive, vote or buy alcohol, especially given the statistics of how hard it is to not only “make it” as a singer, but to remain relevant and continue to work steadily and successfully.

MaKenzie’s voice is amazing, but I she struggled to connect to certain lyrics as well. That effected her performances, which made it hard for me to connect with her. Also, vocal acrobatics = I’ll pass.

One thing that has surprised me this season is that no one once referred to her as “the redhead.”  Maybe it’s because I’m a redhead too, but it’s a pretty specific descriptor as there aren’t many of us around.  I found it interesting in articles I’ve read that she’s mentioned as “having zero chairs turn last season” and being a “preacher’s kid from Kentucky.” Not that there is some redhead mafia or anything, but I genuinely wonder if the voting audience couldn’t see past her weight to even notice that she has red hair? To me, that is a memorable physical trait. 

I have a strong suspicion that John Legend will do very well next season and I couldn’t be more excited for him to be a coach. I predict that he will elevate the show to a level that it hasn’t hit in a long time. He’s too talented to not do an amazing job!

*I have loads of friends who went to Berklee, but they’re musicians, not singers, so they’re the few who can work as professional musicians, but are still paying off student loans like everyone else and not living in the lap of luxury.

Edited by Bridget
5 minutes ago, Bridget said:

Out of the top 8, the only ones I liked (and not even consistently) were MaKenzie and Kennedy.

I think you just stated the biggest problem for me this season with the contestants - nobody was consistent. I agree that MaKenzie and Kennedy were arguably the most consistent vocally, but both of them suffered with poor song selection that skewed old fashioned for most of the lives. I honestly don't know what kind of music either of them would produce based on what they performed on the show. There's not much market for singing big ballads like Celine, Mariah and Whitney, you know?

I also liked Kirk, but sometimes he sounded downright awful to me (including Monday night). The same with Kymberli. I liked her the last two weeks and not at all Monday. Half way through her song Monday I thought, "she's toast". Ditto Sarah Grace and Reagan. Chevel has something I guess, but again, I hate country, and with her, I straight up cannot understand a word she is singing, especially if it's something I have never heard before. That Loretta Lynn song a week ago I literally could not understand a single word. A. single. word.

Obviously, this is all my opinion, and ymmv, but I just feel like Kennedy has earned it the most. The whole season for me was very underwhelming though. My actual favorite was Delaney, so what do I know! ;-p

2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

I think you just stated the biggest problem for me this season with the contestants - nobody was consistent. I agree that MaKenzie and Kennedy were arguably the most consistent vocally, but both of them suffered with poor song selection that skewed old fashioned for most of the lives. I honestly don't know what kind of music either of them would produce based on what they performed on the show. There's not much market for singing big ballads like Celine, Mariah and Whitney, you know?

I also liked Kirk, but sometimes he sounded downright awful to me (including Monday night). The same with Kymberli. I liked her the last two weeks and not at all Monday. Half way through her song Monday I thought, "she's toast". Ditto Sarah Grace and Reagan. Chevel has something I guess, but again, I hate country, and with her, I straight up cannot understand a word she is singing, especially if it's something I have never heard before. That Loretta Lynn song a week ago I literally could not understand a single word. A. single. word.

Obviously, this is all my opinion, and ymmv, but I just feel like Kennedy has earned it the most. The whole season for me was very underwhelming though. My actual favorite was Delaney, so what do I know! ;-p

"There's not much market for singing big ballads like Celine, Mariah and Whitney, you know?" 

And isn't that a shame.  The world no longer has a desire for great love songs that move you, inspire you or make you feel like the singer has lived your life.  No more killing us softly with a song.  The richness and texture has gone out of music.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:33 PM, Tony Williams said:

Mackenzie you were the best and most consistent singer in the competition.  If you had "THE LOOK", you would have won this thing.

Read an article once about how many legendary singers would not get an opportunity today.  They lacked "THE LOOK"!

I posted early in the season that if Mackenzie looked like Chloe Kohanski she'd have been touted as a front runner. I think she's just as talented.

Totally on the money about so many of our best singers not getting a shot today because of how superficial the music industry has become. Looks has always mattered, but even the singers who became star in part because of their looks could really sing. We are now in era of auto tune and lip syncing when someone can become a star completely on looks and image.

Regarding The Voice, I often think about how some of the best singers ever wouldn't get far on this show, because they sang with taste and regard for the melody,, and clearly enunciated the lyrics,. I can imagine Ella Fitzgerald and Frank Sinatra being told that their performance didn't have any "highs" and that they didn't show enough emotion. In other words, they didn't shout at us and throw in a bunch of meaningless runs and glory notes.

Edited by bluepiano
3 hours ago, Tony Williams said:

"There's not much market for singing big ballads like Celine, Mariah and Whitney, you know?" 

And isn't that a shame.  The world no longer has a desire for great love songs that move you, inspire you or make you feel like the singer has lived your life.  No more killing us softly with a song.  The richness and texture has gone out of music.

I was never a fan of the big Divas back in the 90's so I can't say I miss them all that much.  But I do agree that the pop music industry has been trending away from great vocalists for quite some time now.  It's all about production these days.  

Fortunately, there is a bit of light in the darkness.  The surprising out-of-nowhere success of Billie Eilish shows that you can still make it big singing pop ballads based on pure vocal talent (even if stylistically extremely different from the 90's divas).  Of course, in Billie’s case it helps that her lyrics speak directly to GenZ teenagers like herself on topics like depression, anxiety, self-loathing, boredom, individuality, etc., while at the same time avoiding simple platitudes. This makes her songs more accessible to that surprisingly large segment of today's younger pop music streaming audience that seems to have lost patience with the kind of cheesy love song lyrics or overly sexualized pop of past generations.  But ultimately, it’s about a voice that can move even jaded older guys like me to tears.  

I still think that Billie and Khalid’s “Lovely” was the most stunning piece of pop music released in 2018.  The fact that the music video has over 173 million views on YouTube is amazing given how deep and dark it is.

On 12/12/2018 at 8:07 PM, driver18 said:

The only reason I don't agree with this is because Country is not one genre.  And Chevel is pretty different from the Country that's playing right now which has drifted a lot more towards a pop-country type of sound. I really, really wanted to hear Chevel sing some early--like debut album early--Taylor Swift when Taylor was barely pop, and a LOT more country sounding because that is a style that I believe Chevel can do. And that is a demographic that Chevel can reach that neither Kirk nor Chris can (oh, she's got the Kelly fanbase on her side too). Plus, other than being a brunette instead of a blonde, she looks a lot like Taylor at that age: Long curly hair, sparkling blue eyes, dresses with cowboy boots.) Anyone who doesn't think that Chevel is as marketable as they come forgot what Taylor Swift's sound and look was when she first hit the music scene... and Chevel Shepard is a much better singer than Taylor Swift.

I agree that Chevel has a better voice than Taylor Swift but her style isn't really all that similar to early Taylor's country offerings.  I want to say that the week she sang "Travelin' Soldier," it occurred to me that she has a lot of the same twang and yodeling capabilities that Natalie Maines and LeAnn Rimes have, so I was pleased to hear her try "Blue" this week.  The other artist I thought she had a similarity to is, and this is throwing it WAY back to the early '00s somewhat obscure female country artists, is Sherrie Austin.  I'd have loved to hear Chevel try something along the lines of "Little Bird," "Followin' A Feelin'," or "Never Been Kissed."  If not a somewhat obscure singer like Austin then possibly something out of the catalogues of JoDee Messina or Mindy McCready - she could probably do well with "Heads Carolina, Tails California" or "Guys Do It All the Time."  I seriously doubt we'll get anything along those lines from Chevel come Monday.  Knowing that Kelly has already gone to the well of Loretta Lynn, I'm guessing we're going to be regaled with something out of the Tanya Tucker or Dolly Parton catalogue for Chevel.  

12 hours ago, HighQueenEB said:

I agree that Chevel has a better voice than Taylor Swift but her style isn't really all that similar to early Taylor's country offerings.  I want to say that the week she sang "Travelin' Soldier," it occurred to me that she has a lot of the same twang and yodeling capabilities that Natalie Maines and LeAnn Rimes have, so I was pleased to hear her try "Blue" this week.  The other artist I thought she had a similarity to is, and this is throwing it WAY back to the early '00s somewhat obscure female country artists, is Sherrie Austin.  I'd have loved to hear Chevel try something along the lines of "Little Bird," "Followin' A Feelin'," or "Never Been Kissed."  If not a somewhat obscure singer like Austin then possibly something out of the catalogues of JoDee Messina or Mindy McCready - she could probably do well with "Heads Carolina, Tails California" or "Guys Do It All the Time."  I seriously doubt we'll get anything along those lines from Chevel come Monday.  Knowing that Kelly has already gone to the well of Loretta Lynn, I'm guessing we're going to be regaled with something out of the Tanya Tucker or Dolly Parton catalogue for Chevel.  

I enjoyed "Blue" and you have some good suggestions for songs. (Danielle B. did well with "Heads Carolina..." so that's probably off the table).  I'd like to see Chevel do something upbeat and written within the last fifteen years or so. I love Dolly, Patsy Cline, etc. but if they're really trying to get a teen to win it, let's not have her singing grandma's (even great-grandma's) generation of songs for the finale (and I say this as someone more or less "of" that generation). Let them do something that doesn't feel overly familiar to one generation and of little interest to another. It's the finale! 

Edited by Padma
10 hours ago, Padma said:

I enjoyed "Blue" and you have some good suggestions for songs. (Danielle B. did well with "Heads Carolina..." so that's probably off the table).  I'd like to see Chevel do something upbeat and written within the last fifteen years or so. I love Dolly, Patsy Cline, etc. but if they're really trying to get a teen to win it, let's not have her singing grandma's (even great-grandma's) generation of songs for the finale (and I say this as someone more or less "of" that generation). Let them do something that doesn't feel overly familiar to one generation and of little interest to another. It's the finale! 

Well, just because Danielle B. sang "Heads Carolina" doesn't mean that Kelly wouldn't let Chevel sing it too, but there's plenty of other songs by JoDee Messina that are great (and upbeat) like "I'm Alright" or "Bye-Bye."  I agree, though, that having Chevel take on country tunes from the '60s and '70s isn't a pathway to victory.  As it is, with the current state of country music, and specifically the lack of real staying power from any females currently charting (aside from Carrie Underwood and any groups with female leads ie Lady A etc), anything from the last 20 years is likely to sound familiar to today's country music listeners - I've heard two-decades old Shania Twain on the radio recently, lol - and that's a good thing.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:47 AM, Wandering Snark said:

There really is something "off" about Adam regarding Reagan. It's a little creepy, as is his umm 'homeless chic' wardrobe this season. He really does need to take a season (at least!) off. I feel for anyone who gets the "Yes! Oh... wait... aww crap" experience of getting a chair to turn, but quickly realizing that they are stuck with Adam.

I really don’t like Adam’s wardrobe choices this year too.

Adam has on yet another weird long coat type thing on and atrocious possibly Christmas themed jeans? (They are read and green striped). He spends a lot to look that shabby I bet. I just keep looking at his choice though and am always like "Really Adam?? Are you even trying?" I think he is a major rut of going through the motions in all aspects of the show at this point. TAKE A BREAK ADAM!!!

I'm having a hell of a time motivating to get through/back to this finale show... not sure I will. I think it comes down to not 'believing' in any of the remaining contestants (as I won't go as far as calling them 'singers' let alone 'artists').

I could barely take another smiling version of Sweet Home Alabama sung like it's an upbeat, fun anthem and nobody mentions it's protest song roots/lyrics. *sighs and turns off his DVR*

However here's the question (and remember death is not an option) singing/being in a room with the nototiously out of tune/rhythm clapping audience or that same crowd all chaotically holding/"waving" light sticks? Talk about distracting.

Edited by Wandering Snark