Type keyword(s) to search

Season 15 Discussion

• Start Topic

What I read online was that Reagan started feeling sick on MOnday, competition day.  That she was lightheaded and dizzy, but did her song anyway.  Immediately after, backstage crew went to get her mom out of the audience because she was feeling sick again.  I think she was dressed under the robe, I think she had every intention of being on Tuesday's episode but maybe started feelign the symptoms again so sat in the back with her mom.    There really should be a rule in place for this, either if you can't sing then you're going home, or show us the rehearsal of the save song and let the audience judge on that.  

What gets me is what Adam said.  "I have a special relationship with this girl".  That sounds so creepy to me.  It's one thing for Blake to say that about his same aged contestants but for 40 yeard old Adam to say that about a 14 year old girl, squicked me out.  

What Adam did to Deandre was wrong, but there' s no guarantee that he won't have gone home anyway even if Adam had praised him to high heaven.  That bottom three was the correct bottom three based on Monday's performance IMHO.  And 2 of those 3 could have gone home and I would have been fine with it, though Deandre sang the heck out of the save song, so for that, he could have been the one to stay.  

Adam, at the very least, should apologize to DeAndre.  It's just a giant mess all around.  

• Replies 569
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the thing: Winning the Voice is LOSING. The point of these singing competition shows it to get your name and face out there. It's more of an audition reel than anything else, something else, something new to show the labels... shows them your range, your talent, you. The winner gets screwed cause these 'recording contracts' are pure bull squirt.  Nobody ever makes it big. Ever. Some maybe make it a wee bit bigger than they were before winning/going on the show but nobody ever makes it Kelly Clarkson, JHud, Carrie Underwood big. Nobody. Ever. something about these contracts just ain't kosher...

In reality? DeAndre won. Not only did he get his name and voice out there, but by his own coach stabbing him in the chest (eff the back, he stabbed him dead in the heart, face to face), on national television (and forever on repeat on youtube) got him worldwide recognition as well. The man will be signed with a label before he opens his first Christmas present.

This season seems to be set up for a teen to win. Either Kennedy-bot (that right? The one with the braids, big voice and NOOOOO PERSONALITY?) or the other one on Team Kelly (can't be bothered to remember her name). 

There's another girl on the show whose name I can't be bothered to remember - think she's on Team JHud...'big' girl (white girl) with the amazing voice. You listen to her with your eyes closed and you'd swear she was black. Her voice is LIFE and I think she's getting overlooked because she's not very pretty. And Kennedy-bot has a beautiful voice but zero personality behind it. Her eyes don't every smile, just her lips. I can't 'like' her for that reason. This other girl though...her voice is amazeballs but that's all being ignored and not played up because she's not 13.

I think this may be my last season

The Voice's DeAndre Nico Responds to Adam Levine's Dis: 'He Sold Me Out'

“It was just weird,” he said. “I’m not being rude. I just felt like he sold me out… and I just don’t respect it. I’m just being honest.”

Since DeAndre and Team Blake Shelton’s Dave Fenley both sang for the Instant Save, whereas Strange didn’t, he added, “We did our job, sick or not. I just got over laryngitis. When I came back, I still sang. It wasn’t none of that anxiety or none of that stuff.

“I know that [Reagan’s] a little kid,” he went on. “But it’s like, ‘Man, [Adam,] you could have put some words in for me at all, like something!’”

Reagan Strange (‘The Voice’) breaks silence on Adam Levine controversy: ‘I don’t expect some people to understand

Reagan declared in her tweet, “I’m thankful for the opp my fans gave me sing again. I love you all, even those who don’t want to be loved.” That’s a direct reference to the millions of “Voice” fans who took to social media to attack the Maroon 5 singer for what happened to DeAndre. Reagan then added that it was a “good day” because her baby brother was coming to visit her for the Top 8 performance show. 

"I love you all, even those who don’t want to be loved.” 

I know you're young Reagan, but especially these days trying to love someone who doesn't want to be loved can seriously jeopardize your career...

That sounds as bad as Adam claiming his "special realtionship" with a 14yo contestant.

I just want to hear what the crowd does when Adam says after her performance, "See? This is why this girl is amazing and deserved another chance." I'd prefer if people threw rocks and garbage at him, personally.

Edited by Wandering Snark
On 12/5/2018 at 8:40 PM, DebbieM4 said:

Great post!  

I wanted to say, though, that the ages of Adam's daughters are completely irrelevant.  It doesn't matter if he has daughters at all.  I realize that's kind of your point, but your comment jumped out at me because I'm so tired of men saying what he did or some variation of it.  He could have no daughters or ten daughters or 100 sons or 15 cats and a goose, and it should have no bearing on the fact that this is a competition where the best vocalist is supposed to win.   I don't care about a special relationship or a place in his heart or a contestant being young or how many pink bibs or prom dresses languish in the closets of his house.  The rules are the same for everyone, and each of them deserves to be judged fairly.

If DeAndre had been the one who didn't perform, would he have used Reagan's time to tell everyone to vote for DeAndre?  Of course not.  He would have been appalled at the idea, but I doubt he understands that what he did was wrong.  

As for what Kelly said, I absolutely did not think she was supporting Adam.  She mentioned something about his good heart as a way to smooth it over and not be confrontational or outwardly critical, but she very deliberately made a point of saying that DeAndre gave an excellent performance.  Because that needed to be said.  Adam should have been the one to say that, and to urge viewers to vote for him, and his comments should have been limited to DeAndre's performance - not used as a segue into how wonderful poor Reagan is and how we should all feel sorry for her (and for him).  That was outrageous, and Kelly knew it.  I think she decided to tread lightly, but it was clear that she very much wanted to say what she wanted to say, and I think she was trying to help DeAndre because she disagreed with what Adam had done.  It seemed to be very important to her to get those words out before time ticked away, and I just don't see how to interpret it as other than her trying to bring some fairness to a very unfair situation.

I think if Reagan had diarrhea, she would NOT have been wearing a white bathrobe.  :-/

All I kept thinking about after Adam said that about his daughters was Serena Williams at the US Open using the I have a daughter line while arguing with the ref.   The tennis message boards were filled for days about that - anything that anyone said, the response would be, “but do you have a daughter?”  Funny stuff.  

2 minutes ago, lampwick said:

anything that anyone said, the response would be, “but do you have a daughter?”  Funny stuff.

That was also a running joke in Big Brother this past season as one 'wronged' houseguest kept repeating "and on my daughter's birthday!!!" As if that made it totally unconscionable.

Reagan declared in her tweet, “I’m thankful for the opp my fans gave me sing again. I love you all, even those who don’t want to be loved.” ... Reagan then added that it was a “good day” because her baby brother was coming to visit her for the Top 8 performance show. 

Is Grandma busy? Because if she brought a baby AND her grandma I'm sure no one would say anything even slightly critical to her delicate sensibilities.  "...who don't want to be loved.." Sounds like her family (and Adam) are doing her no favors by not explaining why people would feel that what happened was grossly unfair.

Ugh...she's beginning to sound like a Special Little Snowflake who has been told her whole life how perfect she is.

Umm...America? Could ya do me a solid and VOTE HER OUT this week?

I'd appreciate it.

Kelly was definitely NOT defending Adam. Someone who was at the show posted on The Voice facebook page that all 3 judges had WTF looks on their faces as Adam threw DeAndre under the bus. Kelly didn't want to come across as a total bitch to Adam so she attempted to soften her words. And Jennifer's comment on Instagram  saying she stands by her team no matter what was also a dig at Adam. IMHO. 

Duet night, up and down as usual. The only one I liked was Kimberli Joye and MaKenzie. Sarah Grace was eaten alive by her duet material.

Kennedy solo performance = return of the Kennedy-bot. She sang the song well, she hit all the notes, there was zero emotion.

You want emotion in "This Is Me" go listen to Keala Settle, the original performer from "The Greatest Showman" (I recommend either the Melbourne or Oscar-cast performances).

Actually, I found a different "This is Me" video (for me) tonight - a promo behind-the-scenes video clip of the first time Settle sang it live for the cast, during a script run-thru. The faces on the other singers performers, especially as she gained more confidence, came out from behind the music stands, and the entire song just took off, was something to behold. Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Ferguson were really into it too.

Edited by JeanneH

Weird that they didn't have Adam speak until almost an hour and a half in. I guess they didn't want him to say anything until the pre-taped damage control aired. The first hour was a little too heavy on Kelly and J-Hud.

Tonight didn't really change anything for me, although I wish Kirk had done better to close. I always like Kennedy, but she has yet to reach her potential. Probably a side-effect of being 14. She is one of the best tweens ever on this show, I will give her that. Chevel started strong for maybe the first 10 seconds, but it didn't go anywhere interesting. Poor Chris had to sing a love song with a 16 year old. He did his best to not make it weird, but towards the end it definitely got weird. I'm over Kimberly's preaching. I usually have a high tolerance artists singing religious songs on this show even though that's not my thing, but that has become Kimberly's one go to move.

At this point, I'm rooting for MaKenzie, although I think she'll land in the middle 3. Without the iTunes votes, this show is much harder to gauge. 

Yea that was weird. I kept thinking, did I miss Adam talking or are they pretending he doesn’t exist? Kind of embarrassing to play that footage saying he was good with DeAndre after DeAndre said he threw him under the bus. But most viewers won’t have heard that so they’ll be back in the Adam train. I thought that JHud was ready to tell him to piss off during the Kirk remarks. Her face said it all. 

As for the singing MacKenIe was the best. I still dig Kirk too.

Adam was on MAJOR damage control doing Toys  for Tots with her and all. I almost couldn’t listen to Reagan tonight I’m so pissed that she got to not sing and still make it through. Still not over it! My favorites are 1. Makenzie 2. Kirk 3. Kennedy. I gave all my votes to Makenzie tonight! Her voice is ridiculous and she doesn’t get half as much praise as she should. I’m glad they all stood for her tonight. FINALLY

That whole package for Reagan was so cringeworthy. The manipulation on this show is ridiculous. 

I also gave all my votes to Makenzie, she is so much better than the others and it will be a tragedy if she does not make it through tomorrow. 

I didn't mind the package for Raegan mostly because I think there were some who went too far last week and seemed to forget that she is a real person. I don't like coddling the tweens on this show, but I don't like seeing someone get destroyed either. Best case scenario for me is Raegen gets a quick elimination tomorrow. My only doubts that will happen come from the fact that the audience votes for artists, not against. Raegan has become polarizing, which is better than being forgettable on a show like this. I wouldn't be shocked if she is in the middle 3 tomorrow. I think top 3 is out of the question.

Also, DeAndre is a class act for the way he handled it all. I'm glad that he got through all of this with his dignity in tact. This show doesn't produce stars, so leaving having shown yourself in a flattering light is a pretty good outcome.

Aww, hope the package elves got paid extra for working round the clock this week. Damage control indeed. I sat through the first half of the show waiting for them to say something, ANYTHING. And when Adam said his thing about it all being good with DeAndre, I thought of that gif of Kathy Bates from AHS going “LIES!”

If what Adam said was true and not a delusion fed to him by the producers, he should have said it at the beginning of the show. I half expected the audience to boo when Carson announced his name. Or maybe they did and I didn’t hear it because I was booing really loudly.

All the bot comments about Kennedy must have been picked up by some intern. Cue the package with her in tears, lost in the songs that she sings. Nice try.

I was also cynical AF when Carson announced the community service with Adam and his team of one. Was it planned and they kept all the other contestants home that day? Or was it a last minute thing, when they couldn’t get puppies, kittens and Sarah McLachlan first?

When Reagan sang with Kennedy, the difference in level of experience and even raw talent was immediately apparent (and didn’t do Reagan any favors) That was also the blandest version of “Happy” I could imagine.

MaKenzie was amazeballs and deserved all four coaches standing. I liked Chevel in her duet and solo. I wished MaKenzie got the pimp spot even though I’m Team Kirk Jay. (Agree that he wasn’t as great as I expected, but I think the song choice wasn’t as perfect as Blake claimed.)

And yeah, I voted for everyone except Reagan. I was at the point of not wanting to blame her for her coach’s dick move, until I found out what she had posted. Hoping that Team Adam is decimated tomorrow night, and "it's all good."

I think Adam should have called in sick - we could have seen a video of him at home in his jammies with a tissue mopping his sniffles. He has become someone I can't stand to even look at - what a lame way to address last week's crappy move.  So glad DeAndre came out with his comment that he felt thrown under the bus.  Ugh.

And Reagan's comment about people not wanting to be loved?  What exactly was that supposed to mean? She clearly doesn't get it.  She should have said nothing, Her comment just seems insensitive to me and makes me think she feels entitled to be there.  Not good.  I hope she is not in the final 4.

As for this week's performances - I agree with many that MaKenzie was the best - real talent, just a beautiful voice and a sweet personality.  The only others I found to be entertaining were Sara Grace and Kirk.  I thought the duets were all pretty boring,  the only exception being MaKenzie and Kymberli.  The Reagan - Kennedy duet was really awful and it showed just how weak Reagan is because Kennedy totally dominated. 

Very underwhelming finale. MaKenzie blew past everyone, but I fear she will find herself singing for her life tonight. 

The rest of them? Meh to cringeworthy. Those duets were NOT good, again with the exception of MaKenzie and Kym.

The entire Adam/Reagan/DeAndre fiasco was mishandled.  They did Reagan no favors with their attempt to manipulate the voters again. 

I wish more companies would go the way of Target last night with their sponsored commercial break. I could listen to Jennifer sing anytime. 

11 hours ago, JeanneH said:

Actually, I found a different "This is Me" video (for me) tonight - a promo behind-the-scenes video clip of the first time Settle sang it live for the cast, during a script run-thru. The faces on the other singers performers, especially as she gained more confidence, came out from behind the music stands, and the entire song just took off, was something to behold. Hugh Jackman and Rebecca Ferguson were really into it too.

Thank you for that link!!! That will be my 2019 inspiration video.  INCREDIBLE!!!!  And I do love Kennedy and think references to her bot-like personality are completely unfair.  She's so young and such a talent, life experience hasn't begun to catch up with her.  But it will.  And she will be a star.  Quite certain.

36 minutes ago, ladymon said:

Thank you for that link!!! That will be my 2019 inspiration video.  INCREDIBLE!!!!  And I do love Kennedy and think references to her bot-like personality are completely unfair.  She's so young and such a talent, life experience hasn't begun to catch up with her.  But it will.  And she will be a star.  Quite certain.

Her lack of life experience is, to me, the reason for the bot comments. She's got the talent, sings the songs and hits the notes, but doesn't have the ability to bring emotion into the mix. It's robotic singing.

Kirk still needs to work on his breath support. It showed in his less than stunning performance last night.

The damned wide-eyed cuteness of Chevel almost got to me last night, but faded by the end of her song. Also, was she wearing jeans and cowboy boots under that weird dress-like thing she was wearing? Odd choice, also just because she's singing 'Blue' doesn't mean you have to dress her in blue.

Kinda like Sarah Grace who definitely has talent far beyond Kennedy and Reagan. She has a similar problem to Reagan. While Reagan can't stop smiling even when not appropriate to the song Sarah can't help but get that 'stank face' while singing a strait-up non bluesy song.

I still find MaKenzie beautifully boring when she performs. I feel like I should like it more... it may partially be that I don't like being preached to by singers... which leads us to...

Kymberli, who I'm happy she has found her 'lane' but it's not my cup of tea. I do love that Carson said for people to be careful texting as MaKenzieKymberliDuet because there's some 'crazy' spelling in that one. Heh.

So, I think I want Chris to win, but it's purely selfish. I want to bank the money for being the person behind planning/booking what will surely be a hot holiday gift, The Chris Kroeze Christmas Cruise™

I am actually calling at a Kirk, Sarah Grace, Kennedy, Chevel final which kinda irks me. If Reagan makes it I'll be ill.

Edited by Wandering Snark

I admit that I have actually liked Reagan's voice on certain songs so far this season. I did like the song she sang last night (not the duet).  But I just don't like what happened last week, the blatant manipulation by the producers, and since she is the last person on Adam's team, I decided to be petty and not cast votes for her.

The whole FaceTime call from DeAndre to Reagan was so producer-scripted -- down to the "I love you" parts. Awkward. I can see the producer meeting with DeAndre and telling him to be sure to tell Reagan he loved her.  Yuck. 

Kirk was the weakest link tonight. I dig him, but that was an awful song choice for him. 

MaKenzie, Sarah Grace, and the Wisconsin guy are the most talented of the gang left, if you ask me. Kennedy is a good performer with a beautiful voice but there is something robotic about her -- too calculated, not enough realness. I can see the producers positioning Chevel (is that her name?) to be the next LeAnn Rimes. Her hand gestures when she sings drive me crazy (but they've gotten really good at cropping that hand stuff out and just showing her face) and she needs a lot of stage presence coaching in general but she has a lot of the right stuff to do well in that old-school country genre. She's a marketer's dream.  

Not sure what it means but the only ones I listened to throughout the entire song were Cevel and Kirk.  I did not see the weakness in Kirk’s performance.  I actually thought it was gorgeous and filled with emotion.  

I ff’ed throigh everyone else.  

I thought Kennedy was the overall winner of the night.  I liked her solo the best (even if I agree it can't hold a candle to Settle's live version) and also thought she gave the best individual performance in the duets.  Other solos that I thought were fairly good were Chris, Chevel, and MaKenzie (in that order), though all three have been significantly better  this season.

Kirk, Kymberli, and Sarah were disappointing.   Kirk's vocals were really rough.  Kymberli was by the numbers on a song I don't like much.  It was a lesser version of her performances from the past two weeks.  For her part, Sarah needs to stop picking songs that require that much range.  I could see what she was aiming for, but she didn't quite pull it off.  There is such a thing as being too ambitious. 

I enjoyed most of the duets.  I really liked the way Chevel held her own against Kirk's bigger voice.  That was fun.  The Kennedy-Reagan solo was saved by the fact that Kennedy did a superb job.  It was nice to see her ace an upbeat dance-able song again.  The Chris-Grace duet had the potential to be easily the best of the night, if not for the really poor sound mixing.  Sarah more than held her own against the much more experienced Chris.  The only duet I didn't enjoy was Kymberli and MaKenzie, mainly because it came off as a half-baked mess.  It was almost like they practiced together less than the others.

6 hours ago, JeanneH said:

Her lack of life experience is, to me, the reason for the bot comments. She's got the talent, sings the songs and hits the notes, but doesn't have the ability to bring emotion into the mix. It's robotic singing.

Funny, but this is exactly how I feel about MaKenzie, despite the fact that she's over 7 years older than Kennedy.  My other problem is that though MaKenzie has great vocal control, she keeps proving that she doesn't have the power of the divas whose songs she sings.  Vision of Love has been done so much better on this show in the past.  For instance, go back and watch Trevor Hunte's version from Season 2.  There simply no comparison.

I guess I just don't get the bot comments for Kennedy.  To me it seems she's always fully immersed in the songs she performance.  I will admit that her vocals are sometimes too polished, sounding more like a studio recording than a live performance.

I have no idea what's going to happen tonight, other than that Reagan will likely be in the bottom 2 (perhaps along with either Kymberli or Sarah?).

18 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Weird that they didn't have Adam speak until almost an hour and a half in. I guess they didn't want him to say anything until the pre-taped damage control aired. The first hour was a little too heavy on Kelly and J-Hud.

Tonight didn't really change anything for me, although I wish Kirk had done better to close. I always like Kennedy, but she has yet to reach her potential. Probably a side-effect of being 14. She is one of the best tweens ever on this show, I will give her that. Chevel started strong for maybe the first 10 seconds, but it didn't go anywhere interesting. Poor Chris had to sing a love song with a 16 year old. He did his best to not make it weird, but towards the end it definitely got weird. I'm over Kimberly's preaching. I usually have a high tolerance artists singing religious songs on this show even though that's not my thing, but that has become Kimberly's one go to move.

At this point, I'm rooting for MaKenzie, although I think she'll land in the middle 3. Without the iTunes votes, this show is much harder to gauge. 

I noticed that too Dots and Stripes. It's probably because as you said about waiting until the pre taped damage control aired. I don't think what he said helped much. It was very vague and dismissive in my opinion and it seems like a bunch of bs that the producers told him to say. 

I love Makenzie but I don't think she'll make it to the top 4 unfortunately, but I hope she does. She really deserves it.

19 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

"I talked to DeAndre and it's all good."

Oh reallllyyy Adam?

That's probably what the producers told him to say. And what was with the Facetime with Reagan and DeAndre?

Not happy how this went down. As soon as Kirk's name was called FIRST.....FIRST! ….I knew  a good portion of the ones I wanted to get through would be in big trouble.  Then when Chris got called, that was it. He's fine, just not who I wanted.   Really surprised Kennedy didn't make it right away.
Poor Kelly, two of hers got the chopping block in one fell swoop.  If I read her lips correctly, it looked like she said, "I'm so mad" when she ffirst hugged the girls...and also looked like she said something like "you're coming on my tour."  

Dear lord, that was a bad last song Reagan...…writing this before I know the outcome...but if she gets through...grrrr...(she actually was decent in her last performance, I just didn't think she was good all the other times)… I'm thinking Kelly gave Reagan zero tweets....thinking she's favoring Mackenzie.

Is Adam's hair gray?

As I have said many times, Blake is very good at this show. At no point before tonight would I have guessed that Blake would have 2 artists in the top 3 tonight. Kelly or Jennifer, sure, but I did not see Team Blake making it that far this year.

Adam just cannot help himself. He was doing so well until the last time he spoke and he had to back the girls over the boys. Given last week's debacle, that was a surprise. Also, after all that was said last week I kind of have to call out JHud for being so much more subdued after MaKenzie performed than she was for Kennedy. She didn't hide her favorite either. I will miss MaKenzie in the finale.

Glad to see Adam have no reason to show up next week. Reagan was brutal - I don't think I know her save song. Is it supposed to sound like that?

Good night for the country singers but that killed MaKenzie's chance I think. No way was Kennedy or Sarah Grace not going through to the finals.

I wonder if Reagan or Sarah Grace have ever lost a talent show before?

5 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

Bummed for Mackenzie.  Forgot to watch--what was the twitter percentages at the end.  Please advise.

Seemed to go off-screen early but it was 49 K, 37 M, 14 R at the time. M had cut into K's initial lead quite a bit but not nearly enough. (R's totals went down 2-3% from where they started)

14 minutes ago, JeanneH said:

Glad to see Adam have no reason to show up next week. Reagan was brutal - I don't think I know her save song. Is it supposed to sound like that?

Good night for the country singers but that killed MaKenzie's chance I think. No way was Kennedy or Sarah Grace not going through to the finals.

Reagan's arrangement was unusual. It was a big pop/rock song in the early 2000's, I think. 

Do you mean Chevel instead of Sarah Grace. Sarah Grace did not make it through, even though I find her so much more interesting than Chevel.

18 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Reagan's arrangement was unusual. It was a big pop/rock song in the early 2000's, I think. 

Do you mean Chevel instead of Sarah Grace. Sarah Grace did not make it through, even though I find her so much more interesting than Chevel.

Here's why I wrote that - After the 3 went through and both Kennedy and Sarah Grace were among the group left I thought the "race for the 4th spot" it was over. Either Kennedy or Sarah Grace (or both) was going to sing for a save, and (I thought) one of them was going to go thru to the final. It would be an upset if someone else did. And as it turned out SG didn't make the cut and K went to the final.

Edited by JeanneH

Buh-bye, Reagan (and Adam). Don't let the door hit your no-talent ass on the way out.

Chevel in the finale and not Sarah Grace is a travesty. I won't be watching. (even though it would be lovely to see Adam sitting there like a useless lump).  More time for football.

Pretty sure Kennedy has this in the bag but I still hope Kirk can pull it off.

Congratulations, Adam.  You successfully shot your team in the foot.  Good job.  As far as I’m concerned, you got exactly what you deserve.