Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E04: Time's Up for the Gang

• Start Topic

Now this was more like it, this was great.

Of course Dennis was the one worried about Time's Up with all the shit he's done (or tried) over the years. Implications and all that. Somehow I wasn't surprised that he also had an entire slideshow ready to go when he took over the seminar. Dennis calling Time's Up on every other member of the gang was great. Dennis' own turn was amazing, and just highlights how truly awful he is. Implications and all that.

I can't believe Dee and Charlie banging actually came back, not to mention the Uncle Jack callback.

Frank was amazing.

• Love 5

I'm hating FX.

1. Nobody should have to pick between new episodes of Sunny and new South Park. I know we're in an age where "live" viewing isn't that huge, but it's still a tough choice. South Park has a lock on Wednesdays at 10. On the other hand, Danny Devito has been doing the "horrible short guy" thing way longer than Eric Cartman.

2. Why, why, why did FX show that scene in the show's trailer? I mean, it's epic. Mac grabs Dee by the pussy and lifts her a few feet off the ground. Aren't Rob and Kaitlin married in real life? Either way, it's still a hell of a lot to ask for from actors. And it would've been a lot funnier for me if I hadn't seen it already.

Awesome episode. I'm just reaching for stuff to be pissed about. Seriously, those might be the best extras in show business. I'd be cracking up every other minutes. They are professionals. And I shouldn't have been shocked that Dennis orchestrated the "shit list" thing, but I was. Just a bunch of horrible people. And we got reminded Dee and Charlie banged! I honestly thought they'd take that to their graves.

• Love 2

Ugh.  I hate bottle episodes.  There had better be one damn good and expensive episode coming up to compensate.

I just found the whole thing too preachy and political to be funny.  It had its moments though.

Edited by Ray Adverb
  • Love 2

I also don't think it made sense that they were so nervous about this when everyone in The Gang has committed serious crimes and never cared.  Such as kidnapping, robbery, false imprisonment, drug trafficking, and attempted murder.

• Love 2

"Dennised someone."

One of the extras was really getting a kick out of the training room scenes. He kept staring at the gang and smiling when it really wasn't appropriate in context.

Dennis trotted out that tired Chris Rock bit about how women only feel harassed if the guy is ugly.  Ugh. Even as humor I wish that notion would die.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

I enjoyed this ep but wish they hadn't revealed Mac's "labia lift" maneuver in the previews.. So why did Dennis set this bogus seminar up?

He was trying to teach a lesson: that the current political climate requires men to be more careful in their sexual harassment.

I've been wondering how they accomplished that.  They must have used some sort of harness to lift Kaitlin off the ground.  Rob is in good shape and strong.  Kaitlin is rail thin so she doen't weigh much.  Still, you can't really lift a person from that kind of angle, from below, with just one arm.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

I also don't think it made sense that they were so nervous about this when everyone in The Gang has committed serious crimes and never cared.  Such as kidnapping, robbery, false imprisonment, drug trafficking, and attempted murder.

And everything with Cricket. Just say he was born that way and nobody batted an eye.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

And everything with Cricket. Just say he was born that way and nobody batted an eye.

I had to omit that for brevity.  He was of course one of the victims of the aforementioned attempted murder.

It's funny that nobody ever goes to the police with this.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

I've been wondering how they accomplished that.  They must have used some sort of harness to lift Kaitlin off the ground.  Rob is in good shape and strong.  Kaitlin is rail thin so she doen't weigh much.  Still, you can't really lift a person from that kind of angle, from below, with just one arm.

I think they used a harness to lift her as well.

• Love 1

Loved this episode, did not see the twist coming. I feel like the whole plot was really loose and "meh" until the twist was revealed and then it was all suddenly cinched together in a masterful way. 

Spoiler

I love the direction this season has taken, even though the other episodes haven´t all been as clever as this one was, there has still been an underlying current of "climate" and all the sjw nonsense that makes it really relevant, no matter which side people belong to.

Edited by halkatla
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I think they used a harness to lift her as well.

Yeah they way she moved straight up definitely indicated harness.

Not the twist I expected, so kudos for that. My biggest problem is that the casual sexism made it just a little too similar to last week's episode. In separate seasons these would both have been great, or even further apart in this one. But back-to-back it just feels like "yeah we get it, women are inferior."

• Love 2

Not feeling this season at all. Pretty much awful and zero funny. The writing, instead of being aimed at funny haha, is geared at being self referential. This way the show nerd/fanboys, who must be studying some kind of IASIP bible all night and day, get their satisfaction from exclusively being 'in on the joke'.

Well, I don't remember the thing that Charlie said to Dee in episode 7 of season 3 that they now trotted out ten seasons later, but sure as shit the faboi's do and think it's all hysterical.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:31 AM, Ray Adverb said:

Were they actually nervous? Mac wanted to win the most points, Frank was slightly worried about lawsuits, Dee was using it as an opportunity to get back at the guys, and Charlie just went along because everyone else was there. I think most of the lines about how serious this actually was came from Dennis, who was Dennising them. The rest of the lines came from Dee. And Dennis was using this whole thing as an elaborate con job to publicly humiliate the gang and reassert his dominance and superiority.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Were they actually nervous? Mac wanted to win the most points, Frank was slightly worried about lawsuits, Dee was using it as an opportunity to get back at the guys, and Charlie just went along because everyone else was there. I think most of the lines about how serious this actually was came from Dennis, who was Dennising them. The rest of the lines came from Dee. And Dennis was using this whole thing as an elaborate con job to publicly humiliate the gang and reassert his dominance and superiority.

Yes that was the thing through the entire episode.  That's why Frank kept pacing in and out in the bathroom, and all the other guys were complaining about how hot it was.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 9/29/2018 at 11:17 AM, 100Proof said:

Not feeling this season at all. Pretty much awful and zero funny. The writing, instead of being aimed at funny haha, is geared at being self referential. This way the show nerd/fanboys, who must be studying some kind of IASIP bible all night and day, get their satisfaction from exclusively being 'in on the joke'.

Well, I don't remember the thing that Charlie said to Dee in episode 7 of season 3 that they now trotted out ten seasons later, but sure as shit the faboi's do and think it's all hysterical.

I haven't really noticed that aspect specifically.  I've been annoyed at all the attempts at political and topical humor.  At least during the previous presidential administration, if you didn't want to think about politics you didn't have to.  Now it gets shoved down your throat left and right because entertainers either think it's important or they want to blow off some kind of steam and think their viewers are sympathetic ears.

Also, that's TWO bottle episodes in a row.  They must have some really expensive episodes coming up.  Hopefully they have a good one revolving around the Eagles at the Superbowl.

Edited by Ray Adverb
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ray Adverb said:

I haven't really noticed that aspect specifically.  I've been annoyed at all the attempts at political and topical humor.  At least during the previous presidential administration, if you didn't want to think about politics you didn't have to.  Now it gets shoved down your throat left and right because entertainers either think it's important or they want to blow off some kind of steam and think their viewers are sympathetic ears.

Also, that's TWO bottle episodes in a row.  They must have some really expensive episodes coming up.  Hopefully they have a good one revolving around the Eagles at the Superbowl.

Apparently from perusing a IASIP reddit fan page, those folks think everything's hysterical because its self-referential. I'm thinking it sucks because I don't have the entire previous 12 season script memorized in my head like they do.

Take Seinfeld for example, which I did enjoy. You had characters with a certain behavior pattern. Each episode had a story line that stood on it's own and the comedy came from how each character responded within that specific plot environment. Whereas,with IASIP, pretty much all the 'comedy', comes from whatever line a character says, its calling back to some previous thing that happened in some earlier season between the characters. NOT FUNNY!  ;)

South Park was always on the mark satirizing the current political and culture. But I even found SP in the dump the past many many many seasons. IIRC, more or less after Chef left and since many/all of the continuing characters getting dropped in favor of a focused core group, it sucks too.

Edited by 100Proof
2 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

They've always done political and topical humor.  I would be more surprised if they didn't reference current events.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, meggonzo said:

They've always done political and topical humor.  I would be more surprised if they didn't reference current events.

Which is fine, but everyone is doing it, and always in such heavy handed ways.   It gets tiring after a while.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, meggonzo said:

They've also done a ton of bottle episodes throughout the seasons. I'd have to watch the episodes again, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that at least 10% and up to 30% of the episodes are bottle episodes.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

They've also done a ton of bottle episodes throughout the seasons. I'd have to watch the episodes again, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that at least 10% and up to 30% of the episodes are bottle episodes.

Here is every episode that has aired so far, from most recent to the pilot.  Bottle episodes are in bold.  There are 137 episodes.

Spoiler

Time's Up for the Gang

The Gang Beats Boggs: Ladies Reboot

The Gang Escapes

The Gang Makes Paddy's Great Again

Dennis' Double Life

A Cricket's Tale

The Gang Tends Bar

PTSDee

Hero or Hate Crime?

Making Dennis Reynolds a Murderer

Wolf Cola: A Public Relations Nightmare

Old Lady House: A Situation Comedy

The Gang Goes to a Water Park

The Gang Turns Black

The Gang Goes to Hell: Part Two

The Gang Goes to Hell

Charlie Catches a Leprechaun

McPoyle vs. Ponderosa: The Trial of the Century

Being Frank

Mac & Dennis Move to the Suburbs

Dee Made a Smut Film

The Gang Hits the Slopes

Frank Falls Out the Window

Chardee MacDennis 2: Electric Boogaloo

Ass Kickers United: Mac and Charlie Join a Cult

Frank Retires

The Gang Goes on Family Fight

Mac Kills His Dad

The Gang Misses the Boat

The Gang Spies Like U.S.

Charlie Work

Psycho Pete Returns

The Gang Group Dates

The Gang Beats Boggs

The Gang Squashes Their Beefs

The Gang Makes Lethal Weapon 6

Flowers for Charlie

The Gang Gets Quarantined

The Gang Saves the Day

Mac Day

Mac and Dennis Buy a Timeshare

The Gang Tries Desperately to Win an Award

Gun Fever Too: Still Hot

The Gang Broke Dee

Reynolds vs. Reynolds: The Cereal Defense

The Gang Dines Out

Charlie Rules the World

Frank's Back in Business

Charlie's Mom Has Cancer

The Gang Gets Analyzed

Charlie and Dee Find Love

The Maureen Ponderosa Wedding Massacre

The Gang Recycles Their Trash

Pop-Pop: The Final Solution

The High School Reunion Part 2: The Gang's Revenge

The High School Reunion

Thunder Gun Express

How Mac Got Fat

The Gang Gets Trapped

The ANTI-Social Network

Chardee MacDennis: The Game of Games

The Storm of the Century

Frank's Brother

Sweet Dee Gets Audited

Frank Reynolds' Little Beauties

The Gang Goes to the Jersey Shore

Frank's Pretty Woman

Dee Gives Birth

The Gang Gets Stranded in the Woods

Charlie Kelly: King of the Rats

Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth

The Gang Gets a New Member

Who Got Dee Pregnant?

Mac's Mom Burns Her House Down

Mac and Charlie: White Trash

Mac's Big Break

The Gang Buys a Boat

Dennis Gets Divorced

Mac Fights Gay Marriage

The Gang Reignites the Rivalry

Mac and Charlie Write a Movie

The D.E.N.N.I.S. System

A Very Sunny Christmas

Mac and Dennis Break Up

Paddy's Pub: Home of the Original Kitten Mittens

The Gang Wrestles for the Troops

The World Series Defense

The Waitress Is Getting Married

The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention

The Great Recession

The Gang Hits the Road

The Gang Exploits the Mortgage Crisis

The Nightman Cometh

The Gang Gets Extreme: Home Makeover Edition

The Gang Cracks the Liberty Bell

Sweet Dee Has a Heart Attack

Dennis Reynolds: An Erotic Life

Paddy's Pub: The Worst Bar in Philadelphia

Who Pooped the Bed?

Mac & Charlie Die: Part 2

Mac & Charlie Die: Part 1

America's Next Top Paddy's Billboard Model Contest

Mac's Banging the Waitress

The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis

Mac and Dennis: Manhunters

The Gang Dances Their Asses Off

Bums: Making a Mess All Over the City

The Gang Gets Whacked: Part 2

The Gang Gets Whacked: Part 1

Dennis Looks Like a Registered Sex Offender

Mac Is a Serial Killer

Sweet Dee's Dating a R******* Person

The Gang Sells Out

Frank Sets Sweet Dee on Fire

The Aluminum Monster vs. Fatty Magoo

The Gang Solves the North Korea Situation

Dennis and Dee's Mom Is Dead

The Gang Gets Held Hostage

The Gang Gets Invincible

The Gang Finds a Dumpster Baby

Dennis and Dee Get a New Dad

Charlie Goes America All Over Everybody's Ass

The Gang Runs for Office

The Gang Exploits a Miracle

The Gang Gives Back

Hundred Dollar Baby

Dennis and Dee Go on Welfare

Mac Bangs Dennis' Mom

The Gang Goes Jihad

Charlie Gets Crippled

Charlie Got Molested

The Gang Finds a Dead Guy

Gun Fever

Charlie Has Cancer

Underage Drinking: A National Concern

Charlie Wants an Abortion

The Gang Gets Racist

I count 24 out of 137, which is 17.5%.  But did you notice that this is the first time you had 3 in a row?

• Love 1

I really, really enjoyed this episode and think it was as funny as any Sunny episode.

I had to pause my tv because I was laughing so hard at the "know your place, monster man, your time is up." 

I don't watch trailers, because I don't want to be spoiled, so the Dee lift scene was a total shock to me. 

This show handles political and hot button topics really well, because the reactions will always be true to the gangs characters. I think it would be a cop out if they suddenly learned something. 

• Love 1