Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Under Pressure

Raja
  • Start Topic

On one of the hottest days of the year, the first responders feel the pressure with harrowing incidents.

I tuned in halfway through after football to find a remake of a  story from a 1974 Emergency episode, How Green Was My Thumb, only to see a new paramedic doing a field surgery to remove a grenade instead of Dr Brackett.

• Love 2

I am going to try and like Buck this  year...try.  I love the total over-the-top style of this show.  It hasn't disappointed; but not sure about the "Buck's sister is running away from her abusive husband" storyline.  Is that Jennifer Hewit?  I read she was going to be on but she looks different.

• Love 2

So, I don't know whether it's just been a while since season 1, but this premiere didn't really feel as crazy as season 1. The one thing that has made 9-1-1 unique is the fact that is was never a drama and never really took itself seriously. This show is a dark comedy with some drama. So this premiere felt more serious than the last season, and it felt like any other emergency response show. The cases for the premiere weren't really crazy, but more sad. I didn't find myself chuckling like cases last season. Maybe the big earthquake stuff at the end will change my mind. 

The new characters were...eh. Eddie needs something more unique about him because he seems like some real nice guy, not in the bad way, and a little bland. JLH's character is too dramatic. So, she has an abusive ex who will show up at some point to try to kill her or something. Hopefully they find a way to make that story a bit more unique. I kind of expect her ex to find her through her new job. 

I do like Buck a bit more this season. I've grown to like him. 

I am very into Athena and Bobby. I'm not too surprised that I've grown to like them together. I do like the Athena relationship with her ex. It's good to see them on good terms.

Overall, though, I hope the show maintains its uniqueness in its almost parody genre. Yet, I actually really liked this premiere, way more than I did at the beginning of last season, so...we'll see. 

• Love 8

I am glad to see Angela Bassett employed, but damn, this show is still full of ridiculous rescue scenarios. I do like Athena and Bobby together, but their break up and reunion should have been more than one episode. I did like that Hen bet the others that they were together.

I started off liking Buck until he got into the rivalry with Eddie. He went from grown up to school boy in a hot minute. 

Jennifer Love Hewitt's character is full of drama, but I don't mind her addition to the cast.

The fireman calendar competition was just dumb.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3

JLoHew is wholly unnecessary.  If we can’t have Abby, then do we really even need a 911 operator?

Hector’s injury squicked me out the most because I cannot even imagine the pain to his bottom when he fell so hard.  That was just so gross.

I feel like cement microwave would have died several different ways and the last one would have been a pick axe to the skull.

• Love 15
13 minutes ago, mojoween said:

JLoHew is wholly unnecessary.  If we can’t have Abby, then do we really even need a 911 operator?

Hector’s injury squicked me out the most because I cannot even imagine the pain to his bottom when he fell so hard.  That was just so gross.

I feel like cement microwave would have died several different ways and the last one would have been a pick axe to the skull.

Yeah the axe choice was odd. Why not some kind of saw that stops before it hits bone like they used to use to remove casts? The concrete shouldn't have set up *that* fast.

i did like seeing that JLH was kinda chunky. It's good to see actors who aren't super skinny and are built like regular Americans.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

The one thing that has made 9-1-1 unique is the fact that is was never a drama and never really took itself seriously. This show is a dark comedy with some drama. So this premiere felt more serious than the last season, and it felt like any other emergency response show. The cases for the premiere weren't really crazy, but more sad. I didn't find myself chuckling like cases last season. Maybe the big earthquake stuff at the end will change my mind. 

I agree with everything you said except the last part where the earthquake might make the show better. I liked the show because stupid people were doing stupid things and paying the price, things that we know happen, but we haven't seen caught on film. The closest to the spirit of Season 1 is the microwave story. Show me idiots getting hurt and needing to be rescued, not regular people doing normal things and needing to be rescued, every other show does that. I want to laugh at your pain.

Athena where are those kids at, that you loved so much in Season 1. Hanging out every night in some guy's apartment for 4 months. You wouldn't even let the kids meet your husband's boyfriend. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

So, I don't know whether it's just been a while since season 1, but this premiere didn't really feel as crazy as season 1. The one thing that has made 9-1-1 unique is the fact that is was never a drama and never really took itself seriously.

I think this show took itself seriously in the first season, especially in the beginning.  There were the full moon episodes in which everything was fun ridiculous.  And then there were the episodes where we Abby's mother went MIA and we learned that Bobby killed 100s of people and we're supposed to feel sorry for him over it.  Ridiculous, in a different way.

The opening montage hinted at some fun and, in fact, there was a story that didn't get past the FOX censors that didn't make it.  I just think this episode was suffering from premire-event-itis.  Hopefully, we'll get back to some of the stupidity once we get past the premiere eps.

4 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I started off liking Buck until he got into the rivalry with Eddie. He went from grown up to school boy in a hot minute. 

I liked Buck last season, especially when he got together with Abby.  But then his insecurity around Eddie started to irritate me.  But then Eddie was written as  Super Eddie who knew how to solve every damn thing and I felt more sympathy for Buck because Marty Stus are annoying.  I'm glad that whole rivalry seemed to resolve itself by the end of the episode, though.

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

I agree.  And it felt like the 911 operator worked last season because Connie didn't want a big role in every episode so for some she'd just do the 911 voice over.  The last thing I want is a ton of 9-1-1 drama where the operators work.

The Bobby and Athena thing confused me.  Last year, we ended with them going on a date so her need to always be inside seemed weird.  I get the reluctance to be out to family and friends but dinner or a movie in a city the size of LA should be pretty safe.

• Love 1

I loved that Athena and her girls were watching Claws and tweeting about it. I love that show. It is crazy.

5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

The Bobby and Athena thing confused me.  Last year, we ended with them going on a date so her need to always be inside seemed weird.  I get the reluctance to be out to family and friends but dinner or a movie in a city the size of LA should be pretty safe.

I was confused at first also, but after the scenes with her ex, I came to the conclusion that Athena was afraid that being in a committed public relationship would confirm that her marriage was failure and that she was risking her heart again in a new relationship. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 11

Does anyone care enough to start a petition to get rid of JLH? Years ago she ruined Criminal Minds, we came together, started a petition and more than 500 people signed it. It didn't do much but it felt good letting her know she's not welcome.
If someone starts a petition I will be happy to sign & help out a little bit. I know what she can do to a good show. Criminal Minds almost got cancelled because of her but luckily the show survived her :)

• Love 2

I really like Abby's apartment. I'd change the paint color but I like the layout. I assume Buck is staying there to save money on sets. :)

I've never been a fan of Jennifer Love Hewitt (the last thing I saw her in was an episode of Law & Order SVU) and acting-wise, going from Connie Britton to Jennifer Love Hewitt is a huge step down, but we'll see.

A cement microwave. People are so stupid. It was worth it for Peter Krause's "WHAT THE FUCK??" look.

Athena and her ex's relationship is really nice and for some reason, I think Athena and Bobby are SO CUTE. Maybe because I like both actors.

• Love 10

I love that Athena was avidly tweeting about Claws because Angela is an avid tweeter in real life.

It’s interesting that Athena wouldn’t go on a third public date with Bobby but she was ok macking all over him against a fire truck when anyone could walk by and see at any time.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 5

I always thought this show was over the top but never that it was a comedy. Remember the episode where they were rescuing people from a plane crash and it ended with a woman listening to her husband's dying declaration of love? Hell, I think the series premiere was the one where they pulled an abandoned baby out of a pipe in the wall. That was bonkers, but there was nothing funny about it.

I don't care about pretty much any character except for Bobby and Athena, and that's just because I like both actors so much that I like to see them getting work. For the rest, I'm literally fast scanning until the next rescue scene.

• Love 2

I miss Abby already, and her relationship with Buck. Buck was at his best with Abby, and now it looks like she has basically peaced out of their relationship, and he is in denile about it. Still, I liked the premiere alright, even if I miss some of the weird stuff that last week ended on. Really, the show started off pretty serious, and didnt get weird until the later parts of the season. Maybe the same thing will happen this season? 

JLH is a big step down from Connie Britton, and this seems like a bit of a retread of Abby and her mom issues. Another relative of a main character going through some kind of danger. This seems like it will be a bunch of unnecessary drama, but I will hold off to see how it goes. I dont think she was awful this episode, but nothing super interesting either. 

Love that Athena watches Claws and has live tweeting friends! And its nice that she and her ex are finally in a good place, and not in some kind of weird sham marriage no mans land like last year, but I dont really get her wanting to hide her romance with Bobby. I can understand her feeling self contiguous about her divorce, but she was apparently cool with him hanging at her house and having dinner out and about last season, so whats the deal? It seemed like they just needed a little drama to start us out. Oh well, I still think they work so far. 

• Love 7

Well, kind of . . . I mean, it's the name of the show.

That said, what on earth has JLH done to her face? She looks like a completely different person. I don't think I would have recognized her if I wasn't expecting her.

Ryan Murphy sure does love him some male eye candy. In case anyone else was wondering where they've seen "Eddy" before, he was in that awful, cheesy JLo movie "The Boy Next Door" in which he played the titular said boy.

The guy who cemented his head into a microwave was just pure Darwinism at work. They should at least sterilize him.

• LOL 1
  • Love 9

JHL’s face and body does not look at all like her as I remember. I get we all change as we get older but, nope, something else weird was going on there. I hope they wrap up the crazy abusive husband story line because it’s just so overdone and she’s not a good enough actress to make me care.

that said I enjoyed this. I love me some batshit crazy 911 and the microwave on the head did not disappoint. That’s what I tune in for. Crazy unbelievable fun with pretty people standing around. Some tv I like deep and some I just like shallow. This is obviously the latter. 

• Love 6

Unless you want to do the “Charlie’s Angel’s” approach for a 9-1-1 operator then someone does need to answer the phone to set everything else in motion.  Still I agree JLH is a huge step down from Connie Britton.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

JLH has aged a bit, I think that's fine. She looks like a real person now. Her character seems a bit on the frumpy side for now but I guess she has been with an abuser/controlling type. Kind of makes sense. I was looking forward to this, it didn't disappoint. Show has a low bar.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Welll, kind of . . . I mean, it's the name of the show.

True dat.  But, for the 911 calls, they could just show the call written on the screen like they often do.  Then the next cut is our intrepid heroes bursting into action to save the day.  

Yes, we would lose stuff like Abby playing the tape for that lady whose husband died in the plane crash, but I'm ok with that because I just can’t see JLoHew bringing the gravitas to the role Connie has.

• Love 2

JLH fans keep bashing the Abby character and bullying Connie.
At 40+ JLH is playing the sister of a 25 year old. This is biologically impossible. Pretending to be the sister of someone 15 years younger than her won't make her young. It makes her seem desperate and creepy. They're ok with this but not with Connie playing his gf.
I hope Fox bans Jennifer Love Hewitt and her fans from their facebook and instagram page. They'll bully Connie until she changes her mind about making guest appearances. They did the same to Paget Brewster and AJ Cook many years ago. AJ ended up leaving twitter, facebook and instagram because of the JLH fans.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

At 40+ JLH is playing the sister of a 25 year old. This is biologically impossible. Pretending to be the sister of someone 15 years younger than her won't make her young. It makes her seem desperate and creepy. They're ok with this but not with Connie playing his gf.
I hope Fox bans Jennifer Love Hewitt and her fans from their facebook and instagram page. They'll bully Connie until she changes her mind about making guest appearances. They did the same to Paget Brewster and AJ Cook many years ago. AJ ended up leaving twitter, facebook and instagram because of the JLH fans.

Jennifer Love Hewitt is 39. I have family friends where there are only two siblings in the family and they are 12 years apart. If you have a kid at 24 and another at 39 (maybe you have others in between - my grandmother came from a huge family, no multiple births, and the age gap between the oldest and youngest was giant), boom, there's your age gap.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Jennifer Love Hewitt is 39. I have family friends where there are only two siblings in the family and they are 12 years apart. If you have a kid at 24 and another at 39 (maybe you have others in between - my grandmother came from a huge family, no multiple births, and the age gap between the oldest and youngest was giant), boom, there's your age gap.

"JLH is 39" - yeah... how many times has she turned 40? she's been 39 for ages lmao

you missed the point of what I was saying. JLH fans are harassing Connie just like they harassed the beautiful ladies of Criminal Minds. I just sent a tweet to Ryan Murphy telling him about them. JLH is so problematic hopefully she gets fired soon.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

"JLH is 39" - yeah... how many times has she turned 40? she's been 39 for ages lmao

Nope. She has always been born in '79. I know this because I was obsessed with teen rags back in the day (I had no cable back then).

I'm not a huge fan of hers but I don't think she should be fired over her crazy fanbase. If stars were punished over obsessive fanbases, then Beyonce wouldn't have a career.

I agree that we don't need a 9-1-1 operator, but obviously Ryan feels differently, and its his show. Luckily, I can take her or leave her so she doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show.

• Love 14

I haven't seen any of the online slander from her fans to Britton although I don't doubt it's happening. Coming on to this forum alone though I can see she's definetly being met with hostility by those who prefer Abby which is unfortunate as she seems cool enough and excited for her role on the show. 

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

I haven't seen any of the online slander from her fans to Britton although I don't doubt it's happening. Coming on to this forum alone though I can see she's definetly being met with hostility by those who prefer Abby which is unfortunate as she seems cool enough and excited for her role on the show. 

The only 'hostility' I see is coming from hewitt fans. Connie was in the show first. Her fans have all the right in the world to be angry at JLH but no one is harassing her. The sicko hewitt fans are bullying everyone for no reason. JLH fans always need to bully and belittle someone to make their fav look good. Connie is 20 times the person and actress hewitt could ever hope to be.

Btw When I said she's problematic and should be fired I didn't particularly meant that she should be fired because of her fans.

She's problematic because she has a history of being very difficult to work with, she's an unpleasant person.

+ Most 911 fans don't like her and want her gone from the show as soon as possible. She will be gone if the ratings drop because of her. The fans should be more important than her. Of course she's "excited" she's been jobless for almost half a decade. She should have never gotten another job after how she treated the wonderful cast and crew of Criminal Minds.

• Love 1

Yeah ok I'm done with the Hewitt fans v Britton fans argument. Im not a big enough fan of either actress and a row relating to fans just feels a bit childish. Especially when I haven't seen any evidence of the harassment on this board (thank god!) 

• Love 22
17 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Unless you want to do the “Charlie’s Angel’s” approach for a 9-1-1 operator then someone does need to answer the phone to set everything else in motion.  Still I agree JLH is a huge step down from Connie Britton.  

Except that's how they want to do it. It's not any different than many of the shows out there, that always start off a particular way. And it's the name of the series.

4 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

The only 'hostility' I see is coming from hewitt fans. Connie was in the show first. Her fans have all the right in the world to be angry at JLH but no one is harassing her. The sicko hewitt fans are bullying everyone for no reason. JLH fans always need to bully and belittle someone to make their fav look good. Connie is 20 times the person and actress hewitt could ever hope to be.

Btw When I said she's problematic and should be fired I didn't particularly meant that she should be fired because of her fans.

She's problematic because she has a history of being very difficult to work with, she's an unpleasant person.

+ Most 911 fans don't like her and want her gone from the show as soon as possible. She will be gone if the ratings drop because of her. The fans should be more important than her. Of course she's "excited" she's been jobless for almost half a decade. She should have never gotten another job after how she treated the wonderful cast and crew of Criminal Minds.

I don't have a problem with her character, because she really has not been on that much. I get when people really don't like a particular actor, but to say MOST fans of 9-1-1 don't like her? How do you know this? Most people don't go on these forums.  And if she was still so difficult, it's not going to take long for some like AB & PK to lay their feet down.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Chas411 said:

My issue is less with the actresses and more with the fact that I really loved the Abby/Buck romance and thought it had deep potential.  How often do you see a older woman dating a younger hot guy on a tv show?   The storyline had a lot of great potential and I am sad to see it go.  But Connie Britton has a tendency to stick around for only a season on RM shows so I should have seen it coming.  Honestly I don’t know why he uses her.

While JLH’s stalker ex has been done a million times.  Unless it turns out to be new fire fighter guy then it will probably be kinda same old same old boring.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
36 minutes ago, luvapickle said:

Except that's how they want to do it. It's not any different than many of the shows out there, that always start off a particular way. And it's the name of the series.

I don't have a problem with her character, because she really has not been on that much. I get when people really don't like a particular actor, but to say MOST fans of 9-1-1 don't like her? How do you know this? Most people don't go on these forums.  And if she was still so difficult, it's not going to take long for some like AB & PK to lay their feet down.

Just go on facebook. many people promised to never watch the show ever again unless she's gone. Lets see what the ratings for 2x02 look like. JLH was heavily featured in 2x01, if 2x02 and the rest of the season has less viewers that will be her fault mostly.

Yeah, I hope Angela says something if JLH is treating her and her co stars badly.

7 minutes ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

Just go on facebook. many people promised to never watch the show ever again unless she's gone. Lets see what the ratings for 2x02 look like. JLH was heavily featured in 2x01, if 2x02 and the rest of the season has less viewers that will be her fault mostly.

Yeah, I hope Angela says something if JLH is treating her and her co stars badly.

Ok but you'll see that on pretty much all series. Viewers saying they'll never watch with that person or this person. And Facebook is notorious for it. And it might be hard to directly blame her if the show fails. The sophomore slump is called in for a reason. Now, I'm not saying she couldn't be a reason. It's just too early to know.

• Love 13

I can't blame Connie for wanting to leave after 1 season. She just ended a long stint on Nashville not that long ago. If she wants to jump around, good for her.

I'm not seeing the big deal around JLH. RM needs Angela and Peter more than they need him; if they had objections to her hiring, they would have said so long before we heard about it. And they both have been in the business long enough to hear stories about people, so I'm sure that any issues would have been addressed before the first table reading.

There will always be people protesting when one actress leaves and another takes over. RM shows always seem to do fine. I'm here mostly for Angela and Peter, so JLH is a non-factor IMO

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

So my brother can't be my brother because of the same age difference between us? Or my daughter's sisters aren't her sisters for the same reason? wow

• Love 14

I didn't mean to insult anyone's family, lol. JLH looks wayy older than 40 and I remember her turning 40 like 10 years ago... but nvm.

Sadly, the ratings for 2x02 don't look that good compared to 2x01. Giving JLH a big role in the season premiere was a huge mistake. I hope JLH sees this. She seems to be so proud of herself on instagram. She has no reason to feel proud... http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2018/09/monday-tv-ratings-92418-manifest-grows.html

Holy crap. I'm disappointed at how catty and hostile this thread is. It's only the first episode of the season. It's a silly show with silly people in it.

Like with some of the other posters, I'm glad Buck's juvenile attitude only lasted this episode and resolved quickly. I would have been super disappointed if he regressed into early season 1 Buck. I have reservations about the stalker husband storyline only because they did that last season already. I hoping they do something different with the story to make sure it's not a rehash of that episode. Other than that, I liked everything else about the setup of the characters and am looking forward to where they're going this season.

• Love 22
2 hours ago, Blackbird999999lol said:

Sadly, the ratings for 2x02 don't look that good compared to 2x01. Giving JLH a big role in the season premiere was a huge mistake. I hope JLH sees this. She seems to be so proud of herself on instagram. She has no reason to feel proud... http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2018/09/monday-tv-ratings-92418-manifest-grows.html

Of course ratings were down for the second episode.  911 had an NFL lead in on Sunday.  That was a boost for the show.

That article said ratings were down for almost all shows except the Resident.  Many shows achieved new lows.  911 was on par with its previous season average. I think time will tell how successful the Sunday spot was when we look at the DVR retention.

It doesn't really seem like JLH matters all that much one way or the other.

• Love 9
On 9/23/2018 at 10:07 PM, mojoween said:

I'm not a fan of JLH and was disappointed she was cast for this show. But - I feel like the show kinda does need a 9-1-1 operator given that the show is named, "9-1-1" - no? Now, did it have to be her? No... Given my dislike of the actress, I was concerned I'd be overly distracted having her on the show, but after E1 I'm so far okay with it. I kind of liked the story of her arrival and also why she took the job and I like that she is Buck's sister so he won't try to sleep with her...

Edited by Lunula
  • Love 8
On 9/24/2018 at 5:05 AM, Blackbird999999lol said:

Does anyone care enough to start a petition to get rid of JLH? Years ago she ruined Criminal Minds, we came together, started a petition and more than 500 people signed it. It didn't do much but it felt good letting her know she's not welcome.
If someone starts a petition I will be happy to sign & help out a little bit. I know what she can do to a good show. Criminal Minds almost got cancelled because of her but luckily the show survived her :)

I stopped watching Criminal Minds well before JLH, because it had devolved significantly (in my opinion). So I, at least, wouldn't blame it (or any show's failure) on one member of an ensemble cast. If a show can't survive one disliked actor, then it doesn't have a lot going for it. Mileage may vary.

I was pleasantly surprised by the premiere, myself. I almost didn't watch it because I had a vague sense that I was iffy about it last season. But I enjoyed it, and while I love Connie Britton, I don't miss her character at all.

I loved the moment between Hen and Chim.

• Love 3

I personally am not anti-JLH as much as I am pro-Connie and don’t want anyone to do it but her.

But I also like how they tied in Jennifer’s former life as a nurse with her desire to help people but remain anonymous.  Although stalker ex is lame and I hope they go somewhere new with it.

One thing I forgot about until we just rewatched was Bobby’s “just leave” to Athena.  That was so cold.  Especially to make her have to pack up all the food!

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3

Wow, the show IS what it is.  Connie Britton is gone for now. The reality is her and Buck would probably not have lasted in the long run with their age difference anyway. Yes I know some do, but most don't. For now JLH is filling in that role and yes it is kind of awkward.  I like the show for the "emergencies" (yes I know they are farfetched but who cares....it is entertainment) and for some of the other characters.  I'm figuring that JLH will probably eventually hook up with the new guy and we will have the added drama of her hubby stalking her.  Something to watch while drinking a glass of wine after a hard day at work.

• Love 9

I'm not sure why JLH gets such a bad rap. I've been a fan of hers since Ghost Whisperer, and I actually would not put her at nearing 40 (she's 39 apparently, but she doesn't look a day over 30 IMO). I'll admit, I didn't recognize her at first - she's definitely changed since I last saw her on TV (on Criminal Minds). 

I thought it was a solid premiere, and I'm looking forward to the next episode. 

• Love 2

There are rumors that she had Aisha Tyler written off GW because she was threatened at how pretty and talented she is. And The Client List got cancelled because she was basically trying to force the character played by her husband into being the baby daddy when it didn't make sense for the show at all. And apparently they didn't get along with her on Criminal Minds? I didn't follow that one but she does have a diva rep. I mean I still like her and I can't see her getting away with much here because Ryan Murphy would drop her in a heartbeat.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

There are rumors that she had Aisha Tyler written off GW because she was threatened at how pretty and talented she is. And The Client List got cancelled because she was basically trying to force the character played by her husband into being the baby daddy when it didn't make sense for the show at all. And apparently they didn't get along with her on Criminal Minds? I didn't follow that one but she does have a diva rep. I mean I still like her and I can't see her getting away with much here because Ryan Murphy would drop her in a heartbeat.

+ did you know that the writers and producers of Criminal Minds wanted to hire Aisha for season 10 but JLH took away the job from her? Look at them now, the cast/team seems 100 times happier with Aisha than they've ever been with JLH. Seems like JLH has some kind of sick obsession with Aisha and she's been after her for YEARS.

It would be a shame if the 911 cast/crew had the same fate as her once they get rid of JLH.