Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Welcome to the Newpocalypse

So many questions.

How bad was the devastation from the Black Rainbow ?

Will they finally link back up with Addy, Red, and Sun Mei in Newmerica ?

Are 10K and Lily still a thing ?  Or was that an world-is-ending hookup only ?

Will we ever hear from or see Citizen Z, Kaya, Nana, Uncle or JZ again ?

Is that the end of Roberta's visions ?

• Love 1

Couple of teaser trailers for the S5 premiere -- Roberta is back to her normal hair color, Citizen Z is back, ..... and the Zs talk now ('Talkers').
Doc, 10K, Sgt. Lily, Murphy are all around as well.  And was that a brief scene of Addie Carver in the first trailer ?  Or maybe Red ?

• Love 1

That was a decent return.

Turns out the effects of the Black Rain were irregularly distributed -- from the looks of Roberta's visions from last season I figured the Black Rainbow would scorch everything, including Zs and humans -- but it looks like it sickened some humans, and converted the recently deceased into 'Talkers', and some Zs into the highly functioning dead, complete with fear response.

How did Roberta's hair go from platinum back to normal so quickly ?  She didn't walk that far in her condition to grow out, maybe a magical blanket that she stole from the dead.

Cooper seems like a decent guy, and a good match for Roberta -- Roberta needs a little happiness, finally -- but you just knew he had to have a secret, but thankfully that was resolved quickly.

Doc, 10K and Lily and their pack of dead/living finally find Newmerica, but it's a little underwhelming.  I hope the next town is a bit more substantial.

Glad to see that Murphy's Z powers aren't completely gone -- looks like he may meet up with Roberta/Cooper next episode.

Seriously, where were all those other Zs hiding at the neighbor's farm ?  Because they came out of nowhere.

I'm curious where everyone is ?  Where's Cooper's farm ? Where's Newmerica ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

This was a pretty good return.  I just hope that Roberta doesn't have anymore visions.

Roberta and Cooper seem like a good match.  I hope that the relationship doesn't change for the worse once Murphy arrives.  It'll be interesting to see how Cooper reacts to him.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 1

Glad the show is back. Still funny, striking the right Z balance. Tho I stumbled a bit when the episode began with Doc as a Z.  I always look forward to seeing how they’ll play with zombie mythos. Puppies and Kittens and Talkers, oh my!  The episode moved really quickly to me—-I groaned when it ended just as Murphy makes his way to Warren and Cooper. Cool new character too. 

• Love 1

Mario van Pebbles. Oh it's gonna be on now. Always love him in the western look.

That was a mean fake out. If they had turned Doc into a zombie I'd...be very upset.

Murphy eating more and more brains is problematic isn't it?

Talking zombies and dead people voting. What could possibly go wrong? Yay Season 5!

• Love 5

Mario van Peebles!  *fans self*  You get that, Roberta.  Very glad that he seems like an OK guy.  I'm also glad that Roberta's regular hair is back.

Murphy "why do these things keep happening" Doc "cuz we do a lot of dumb shit" was great.   I liked the road trip to get to NewMerica, even if was disappointing.

I thought it was fun and a good return. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, raven said:

Mario van Peebles!  *fans self*  You get that, Roberta.

Yeah, I had to fan myself when he was in bed showing those pecs.  He does look good in western gear, too.  

I've got my fingers crossed for this relationship, but this is Z-Nation and I haven't forgotten about fine Vasquez who was killed off.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I've got my fingers crossed for this relationship, but this is Z-Nation and I haven't forgotten about fine Vasquez who was killed off.

Pretty much anyone that the main characters come across is doomed, but Mario's show (Superstition) was cancelled,so he's got some time on his hands.

• Love 3

Zs are talking now?  Sounds pretty goofy (along with the fear responses), but you have to admire this show for not taking itself too seriously, and for not being afraid to go into unusual new territory.  The Newmerica and Roberta's romance stories were both interesting.

• Love 2

I just remembered Tom Everett Scott who played Charles Garnett in Season 1.  He and Roberta had a quickie relationship before he was killed off, too.  

Fingers crossed for you, Cooper!

• Love 2
20 hours ago, raven said:

I liked the road trip to get to NewMerica, even if was disappointing.

I thought it was fun and a good return. 

We only saw the "guard station" of Newmerica. Per George, there are 12 other outposts and settlements that have formed a community of sorts. 

11 hours ago, rmontro said:

Zs are talking now?  Sounds pretty goofy (along with the fear responses), but you have to admire this show for not taking itself too seriously, and for not being afraid to go into unusual new territory.  The Newmerica and Roberta's romance stories were both interesting.

Love that the show used the Black Rain to reinvigorate the show. Any show that runs beyond 3 seasons, in my opinion, gets stale. Instead of going for shock value like killing off characters or introducing a new villain, the show has decided to use a pre-existing element as a catalyst. Who knew that the mixture of the good and bad canisters would have this effect? 

19 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Pretty much anyone that the main characters come across is doomed, but Mario's show (Superstition) was cancelled,so he's got some time on his hands.

Maybe the Black Rain has changed their luck from "Doomed" to "Survivable"? Fingers crossed for Roberta and Cooper. Maybe he stays on the farm while Roberta goes with Murphy to Newmerica? At season's end, Roberta returns to Cooper? Fanfics where are you?

I find every ZNation episode to be entertaining and inventive. It's a good mix of action, suspense, humor and drama. There's usually some plot and character development in each one.  All the main characters are well-rounded and take turns in the spotlight. The fast pace keeps things lively. The direction and writing is top-notch. The actors fully believe in their characters and it shows. 

For me, ZNation is repeat viewing in ways that Walking Dead is not. 

• Love 2

This opener did not disappoint.  I like how the world is shifting.  Also, having Newmerica still being formed makes sense (I know, for this show making sense is not necessarily a expected) and leaves it open to many different stories.  Had they shown up and there was a fully functioning society with everything looking like it was pre-Z, I would be disappointed.

Murphy: "Why do these things keep happening?"

Doc "Cuz we do a lot of dumb shit."

There are so many shows I wish had this level of self-awareness.  Yes, they do a lot of dumb shit.  They make bad choices. They stay when they should leave and leave when they should stay.  And all of it makes this show so funny.  

• Love 2

I have to admit, last season was kind of frustrating for me because of Roberta's never ending visions (and that hair!).  Glad to see that things are back on track and wacky as ever.  Those frightened zombies had me cracking up.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, 17wheatthins said:

I decided that I prefer this goofy show to Walking Dead because it’s fun as well as scary, the characters are more likeable, and it moves so quickly.

I was thinking the same.  Although it's probably as much due to the Walking Dead falling off as anything else.  At least Z Nation is holding steady.

I had a feeling Cooper was keeping a secret of some kind. It's understandable that he had a hard time mercy-ing his wife and daughter, and it was nice of Warren to offer to do it for him. He does seem like a good guy, so good for Warren. I was cracking up when Murphy kept thanking the zombie he was eating for showing him which way to go.

Zombie!Doc at the beginning had me worried for a second. They finally made it to Newmerica! I'm curious about the other outposts and I like the leader, George, so far. And apparently zombies are sentient and can talk now. I love how weird this show is. 

• Love 3

Maybe I'm just having a hard time getting back into the ZNation swing of things, but there's something about Cooper that I just don't trust.  The car in the barn with his family inside sort of cleared things up, but something still doesn't feel right. 

• Love 1

Nah, too easy.  ;)

I have a feeling I know where you were going because I considered going there myself. Decided it might violate some PTV rules. And like you said, too easy. I bet the show is gonna  do it though.

• Love 1

Episode 2 sneak peek has been posted at:  Sneak Peek Season 5 Episode 2

Even after the apocalypse there is no escape from bureaucracy.  10K is in trouble. He has no pulse. Effects of Murphy's bite and all the serums he's took previously?

Take a look at the other short teasers if you like lower on the page. Looks like Citizen Z is in Newmerica. You can smell the satire/parody to come.