Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Everything Is Bonzer! (1) / S03.E02: Everything Is Bonzer! (2)

12 hours ago, phalange said:

Though her pronouncing gif like Jif is probably why she went to the bad place. 

Even though the creator of the file format says that's how it's pronounced? (I only ask because I started out pronouncing it the other way, then looked it up yonks ago, found out what the creator said, and changed to "jif." Now everyone thinks that's wrong.)

• Love 8

I am so glad this show is back!  (yes, it's been said a million times, but I'll say it again.)

I agree with everyone on the question of how Eleanor is paying for this.  But maybe I missed something, because no one else has mentioned this:  How is Michael paying for all of this?  He has no powers on Earth.  Did I miss a magical no-limit American Express tucked into his blazer or something?  How did he get from Eleanor to Chidi to the rest to save them in the first visit, and how is he flying Jason to Australia?  Not to mention the shopping trips for all the outfit changes. 

Oh, and I love that Eleanor was drawing a burrito during her lecture with Chidi.  Maybe they have retained deeply submerged memories of the not-good place, and those will start to pop up. 

• Love 15
54 minutes ago, nikita said:
13 hours ago, phalange said:

Though her pronouncing gif like Jif is probably why she went to the bad place. 

Even though the creator of the file format says that's how it's pronounced? (I only ask because I started out pronouncing it the other way, then looked it up yonks ago, found out what the creator said, and changed to "jif." Now everyone thinks that's wrong.)

I've always pronounced it jif. I will keep doing so even if it sends me to the bad place. Maybe I'll just end up in the medium place.

• Love 11
25 minutes ago, chaifan said:

I agree with everyone on the question of how Eleanor is paying for this.  But maybe I missed something, because no one else has mentioned this:  How is Michael paying for all of this?  He has no powers on Earth.  Did I miss a magical no-limit American Express tucked into his blazer or something?  How did he get from Eleanor to Chidi to the rest to save them in the first visit, and how is he flying Jason to Australia?  Not to mention the shopping trips for all the outfit changes.

I was wondering about all that too.  I guess we're just supposed to handwave it all.

2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Trevor is going to be so much fun among humans

Definitely. But, we know Michael wasn't able to go to Earth with his powers. Can Trevor or will he be completely human? I can imagine the fun of him snapping his fingers only to find out that nothing's happening. Then again, Sean has all those cocooned computer hackers. They might find a way around the no-powers situation.

• Love 4

I forking loved "hot enough to be on the Bachelor but smart enough not to go on the Bachelor." Also when Eleanor explained to Chidi how when someone was telling her a story she imagined everyone in it was hot and then exclaimed that you can do it for free!

I like that they've given Chidi a new love interest, plus the actress is doing a great job. I find her very funny. 

I was somehow not spoiled about Trevor. Maybe Michael distracted me at the right moment. I am looking forward to the mischief he will bring.

• Love 17
12 minutes ago, festivus said:

I've always pronounced it jif. I will keep doing so even if it sends me to the bad place. Maybe I'll just end up in the medium place.

Oh, no! I may have to change back b/c Mindy scares me.

• Love 2

One more thought...  I find it a bit odd that now that Eleanor is back on earth and can swear up a storm, she doesn't swear at all.  I was hoping the show would have found a funny way to deal with her potty mouth, like well timed air horns, whistles, planes overhead, etc. 

• Love 9

How did Trevor get to Earth? Michael needed authorization. (Which he improperly reused). I know the Bad Place breaks laws but if they could forge papers to go to earth you’d think they’d constantly be doing that and eventually the doorman would require some unforgeable papers.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, arc said:

How did Trevor get to Earth? Michael needed authorization. (Which he improperly reused). I know the Bad Place breaks laws but if they could forge papers to go to earth you’d think they’d constantly be doing that and eventually the doorman would require some unforgeable papers.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but at the time Trevor showed up, wasn't Michael heading back down there already?  There's only one key.  If Michael had the only key, how did Trevor get there.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, chaifan said:

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but at the time Trevor showed up, wasn't Michael heading back down there already?  There's only one key.  If Michael had the only key, how did Trevor get there.

Only the Doorman gets to have the key, Michael just keeps the keyfob to buzz when he wants the door opened back up.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

It was actually the same scene of indecision: they showed it at the beginning to show how Chidi hadn't really changed in the year since his almost-death and then showed it again after filling us in on Chidi's life during that year (and after his friend's broken legs and the nurse's blueberry comments).

"Jif" is peanut butter.  "Gif" is an animated picture, and the "G" stands for "Graphics" (hard "g").  I don't care what the creator says about its pronunciation; he's wrong.

He chose a muffin in a minute, and we learned that was 59 minutes shorter than it used to take him - and then he was told that blueberries were bad. So he had been taking an hour to choose a muffin even before he learned anything about blueberries being unethical.

• Love 1

Maybe Trevor snuck a ride to Earth with Michael. Like, became a piece of lint or something. But it sounded like they also needed the key to get back to the afterlife dimensions so who knows.

Edited by arc
1 hour ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I forking loved "hot enough to be on the Bachelor but smart enough not to go on the Bachelor."...

I was somehow not spoiled about Trevor. Maybe Michael distracted me at the right moment. I am looking forward to the mischief he will bring.

I loved that line!  Thank you for reminding me.

I managed to remain unspoiled also and was surprised to see Trevor.   I thought it was going to be Shawn.  For sitcoms especially I try very hard to avoid any spoilers because, more often than not, it makes an episode less funny when I've already seen the jokes. 

• Love 9

So did Michael bring the frog mug for The Doorman as a nice, thoughtful gesture or because he wanted to keep on The Doorman's good side? Is he truly good now? He is still breaking rules but he's doing it to try and help others so is that morally okay?

• Love 3

I . . . didn't love it. It felt like an awful lot of set-up. I get that they needed to get us up to speed on what happened to the four main characters since they got their lives re-set, but in a 13-episode season, 2 episodes is a lot to devote to furniture setting. It didn't really feel like the same old show until the very end when the four of them were together again.

I got a few chuckles out of it here and there but overall it just didn't feel like the same show.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I . . . didn't love it. It felt like an awful lot of set-up. I get that they needed to get us up to speed on what happened to the four main characters since they got their lives re-set, but in a 13-episode season, 2 episodes is a lot to devote to furniture setting. It didn't really feel like the same old show until the very end when the four of them were together again.

I really liked moments of it but I  didn't love it either. 

Rebooting them so often is just BS at this point. The characters are funniest when they are "bad" (or in Chidi's case indecisive to an extreme) but the point of the show is they outgrow their bad habits. But they need to keep them funny. So, we just keep getting constant reboots. And I am So Sick of the reboots. I don't need to see their journey to be better people for the THIRD TIME. And Trevor is just another retread of obstacles being thrown in their way on that path. 

I also hated how much of the beginning was a retread of the finale. What a waste of time. 

What is Michael even trying to prove at this point? There is something fundamentally wrong if these four people can only "deserve" the Good Place if they are together. Not wrong with them but wrong. (The whole concept is flawed and I think intentionally so. But for now it is what it is. And if they can't get the points as individuals they aren't ever going to advance.) Why would the judge be convinced after so much meddling? Michael is doing them more damage than Trevor will.

Simone was awesome, though.  But even with Simone (whom I did love) it's like "what if Real Eleanor wasn't faking it?" 

Except for the few moments that could only be written by The Good Place writers (I Crumb From a Land Down Under) it just felt like Good Place fanfic. 

That's not really how language works though. Words aren't inventions that are molded by their creator. They are adapted for use by the people who use them. 

Edited by CherithCutestory
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

The funniest thing to me with the whole “ . . . and Latin just in case it comes back” line was the hopeful way Chidi crossed his fingers while he said it. 

And I’m totally torn on Simone. I mean, she’s delightful. But, but, but Eleanor and Chidi. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, CherithCutestory said:

That's not really how language works though. Words aren't inventions that are molded by their creator. They are adapted for use by the people who use them. 

In that case, many, many people have adapted "you're" to "your" and "should've" to "should of." And that ain't right ;)

Edited by nikita
  • Love 20
4 hours ago, Blakeston said:

He chose a muffin in a minute, and we learned that was 59 minutes shorter than it used to take him - and then he was told that blueberries were bad. So he had been taking an hour to choose a muffin even before he learned anything about blueberries being unethical.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I thought it was the exact same exchange between the muffin guy and Chidi both times Chidi was indecisive.  I may have to go back and watch, but I'm pretty certain it was the same exchange.

Oh, and I forgot to write how much I loved how much the Doorman loved his frog mug!  That was so darling.

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, nikita said:

In that case, many, many people have adapted "you're" to "your" and "should've" to "should of." And that ain't right ;)

Well, if you want to go on a grammar basis then why would a acronym sing a word with a hard g be pronounced like a preexisting peanut butter? The creator was an idiot. (I kid. He obviously wasn't.)

• Love 1

Well, will you look at that. An MRI machine - with a proper head cradle. On Television!

7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

"Jif" is peanut butter.  "Gif" is an animated picture, and the "G" stands for "Graphics" (hard "g").  I don't care what the creator says about its pronunciation; he's wrong.

Eh, tell it to the giraffes. (actually, I'm not wedded to either pronunciation)

• Love 4
20 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Not sure how I feel about the potential love triangle between Eleanor/Chidi/cool science lady. Chidi and the new girl have a delightfully nerdy chemistry that I enjoy, so I'm hoping the writers will leave them alone to date in this mini-reboot without pining/tension/love realizations. Just let them be their own wacky fling on their own timeline and go back to the sappy epic love stuff later.

According to what I heard on the podcast for these eps, it won't be a love triangle. The female writers apparently argued that they never fought over guys with their friends in real life and triangles are unrealistic. So that is why the show has not gone there besides the quick tiptoes towards a triangle (or square) in season 1 that never really turned into that.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, bethy said:

And I’m totally torn on Simone. I mean, she’s delightful. But, but, but Eleanor and Chidi. 

I read a theory on reddit (so definitely not mine)  that Simone is Gen. I don't know but that really works for me. Simone is delightful but in a very very similar way to Gen. And, realistically, someone doing their own academic research wouldn't bend to the whim of a (very cute) dude they just met. She also liked Eleanor immediately and Eleanor is awesome but someone who grows on you more than someone you love from the outset. 

I really don't care about Eleanor and Chidi romantically. I think they are soulmates regardless but soulmate doesn't have to be romantic. What matters is Eleanor does as much for him as he does for her. And I have no investment in them as a romantic pairing.  

51 minutes ago, Terrafamilia said:

Eh, tell it to the giraffes. (actually, I'm not wedded to either pronunciation)

Or tell it to gifts. 

• Love 9

Thank you.  I totally blanked on that name. And now I'm like, duh, of course that's who it is.

In that case, I hope that theory is wrong.  I want Simone to be just Simone.  I like her just being a kooky scientist that is genuinely into Chidi.  A little nerd love fest.  Not every plot line has to have a twist.

• Love 13
23 minutes ago, April Bloodgate said:

Yep. Me too. And I never liked the Hiltons or other celebs of that ilk, but I still know exactly what she looks like.

Eleanor lives her life on trashy magazines; she would know, just like I would, which of the Gosselin sextuplets wear glasses. It's what us trash bags do. But, I think a closer example would maybe be Rob Kardashian? He isn't in the spotlight, but his sisters are everywhere. So you hear a unique last name, realize the person looks like the famous person with that name, and go from there. Heck, I follow Sofia Richie on instagram just for a chance to see more Nicole or Lionel Richie photos on my timeline.

I don't know if this will continue, but I think this is Chidi's season. Season One - Eleanor. Season Two - Michael. Season Three - Chidi. So much about this episode had Chidi as the core. I loved every second of this episode as I always have. Was not spoiled on Trevor because I don't trust NBC promos. But I did hear Adam Scott was filming for a show that wasn't Big Little Lies after his show Ghosted was cancelled.

• Love 8

I like Chidi and Eleanor together and I'd be fine with them as "endgame" or whatever, but I'd also like to see Eleanor's, "Side note, I might legit be into Tahani" comment come into play. This is the season for it; the girls already like each other much better than they did most of the first times they met! Tahani's delight at Eleanor's, "Eh, I was never really that into [Kamilah]" was sweet.

I like Simone a lot and think she's a great addition to the cast. The scene where she and Eleanor teased Chidi was delightful. And I'm excited to see Trevor back next week!

This is my contribution to the GIF vs. GIF debate.

• Love 9
On 9/28/2018 at 4:11 AM, jcin617 said:

Yeah I’m not sure how they’re going to hide Michael’s interference from the Judge as presumably she would review the transcripts of their lives on earth post-near-death.

But she's way too busy binging (N)CIS to bother with boring transcripts.

13 hours ago, chaifan said:

Eh, there's ways. There's always the very new arrival at the bad place whose cards haven't yet been locked on Earth. Although Michael paying with "stolen" credit cards sounds like it could come up again, especially if/when Michael gets his own little trial.

12 hours ago, chaifan said:

One more thought...  I find it a bit odd that now that Eleanor is back on earth and can swear up a storm, she doesn't swear at all.  I was hoping the show would have found a funny way to deal with her potty mouth, like well timed air horns, whistles, planes overhead, etc. 

Yeah I was waiting for something as well. Maybe next week?

12 hours ago, arc said:

Eh, maybe the doorman is on their payroll already or they have another way? Though I'd like to find out, as the answer could well be relevant to the plot. But showing it ahead of time would've spoiled the surprise and it was the very last scene, so I'm sure we'll get an explanation if it's relevant. 

9 hours ago, CherithCutestory said:

What is Michael even trying to prove at this point? There is something fundamentally wrong if these four people can only "deserve" the Good Place if they are together. Not wrong with them but wrong. (The whole concept is flawed and I think intentionally so. But for now it is what it is. And if they can't get the points as individuals they aren't ever going to advance.) Why would the judge be convinced after so much meddling? Michael is doing them more damage than Trevor will.

Ultimately, I think the show will have to adress the injustice in the system, I think the four of them plus Michael will make the case that the entire system should be changed. So meddling with it shouldn't do much damage, if the judge ever finds out in the first place. 

8 hours ago, bethy said:

The funniest thing to me with the whole “ . . . and Latin just in case it comes back” line was the hopeful way Chidi crossed his fingers while he said it. 

Well, Chidi will have to make a decision at some point... Besides, it frees up Eleanor and Tahani, so I'm all for it. But yeah, I have a feeling Simone isn't going to stick for very long. 

• Love 1

I was underwhelmed. Oh, I know it's early in the new season, and the writers have a history of using long slow fuses, so I'll be back next week for more and I expect I'll be happier. This thing, though... in the whole thing combined, I felt like I got almost-but-not-quite as many laughs and smiles as I usually do from one normal episode. Having the cast floundering around seperately just sucks too much life out of the show. I understand the narrative reason for it, but I did still had to fight the urge to fast-forward. I did love Simone, though. This week, she is totally my favorite character. And, while Jason's story tends to be the one that I care least about, I think the single funniest line of the ep was in his arc. "Well, for one thing, you've got about forty people on stage..."

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 6

The Doorman's delight at that anti-gravity thermos with the frog on it might be one of the purest things I've ever seen.

While Jason is obviously still a complete dim-bulb, I like that he's been searching for meaning since his near-death experience like the others.  With the other three, Michael nudges them into the right direction by appealing to that existential crisis ("what we owe to each other," urging Chidi to get out of his head by helping someone else, "congratulating" Tahani on being a fraud to reawaken her desire to do this sincerely,) but for Jason, Michael tries to straight-up trick him, offering the Australian dance-crew bait with some joint-study "obligations" attached.  Jason doesn't need that, though - he's ready for something more.  It's interesting to me that Michael underestimates him in that way.  I suppose it's fitting, since Michael's always been closer to Eleanor, Chidi, and Tahani, but it makes me wonder if Jason is going to make more meaningful contributions to Team Cockroach this season.

• Love 14

So happy to have this show back.  Along with Brooklyn Nine-Nine, it's one of the most genuinely funny, and genuinely warm shows on TV.

The visuals on this show are so stunning, especially for the budget. The opening scene, with Michael and the doorman, and the scenes with Sean his team, looked like something out of The Hudsucker Proxy.  But what's wrong with Richard Marx? Heartfelt 80s ballads are great!

I love that Michael is so genuinely excited about experiencing all those mundane, human things, like travelling on a bus, pigeons and gumball machines.

The really great thing about it is, they can regress the characters to type pretty much whenever they like. So we can see Eleanor becoming a better person, but we still get all the trashbag jokes and reactions. Same with Tahani's vanity and Jason's idiocy.

I'm really pleased that we got to look at the other three being saved, making progress and then backsliding. Chidi's journey into decisiveness and back was consistent with everything we know about him. The harmless decisions he makes can later be made to look bad, and so he tortures himself even more. I like Simone a lot, her energy bounced off Chidi's really nicely.

And I'm fine with her being Chidi's love interest for a while, because I'm still totally on board the Eleanor/Tahani train.

Tahani's list of phone contacts was great. The Edge, The Queen, The Rock, Taylor Swift (obviously not her best friend), Tim Cook, Taika Waititi. And hey, she was wearing cargo pants again! And Crocs! But I wish they'd got a big name to cameo as the person who brings Tahani back to her old life. But if she managed to write a book that both Malcolm Gladwell and Cormac McCarthy feel they couldn't top, then I guess it was worth it.

And hey, now we've met Donkey Doug. I never get tired of jokes that either directly state, or just imply, that Florida is hell on earth. It's so totally Jason that he could only think of two possible ways to live life - dance crew or crime. 

The twist at the end was actually really good. Great way to bring Trevor back, and a great way to throw in some antagonistic energy for the season. I'll be honest though, I'd have preferred it to be Vicky. But I think Tiya Sircar has another show now, so maybe she wasn't available.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, angora said:

With the other three, Michael nudges them into the right direction by appealing to that existential crisis ("what we owe to each other," urging Chidi to get out of his head by helping someone else, "congratulating" Tahani on being a fraud to reawaken her desire to do this sincerely,) but for Jason, Michael tries to straight-up trick him, offering the Australian dance-crew bait with some joint-study "obligations" attached.  Jason doesn't need that, though - he's ready for something more.  It's interesting to me that Michael underestimates him in that way.  I suppose it's fitting, since Michael's always been closer to Eleanor, Chidi, and Tahani, but it makes me wonder if Jason is going to make more meaningful contributions to Team Cockroach this season.

To be fair, everybody underestimates Jason except maybe Janet. However, it is important to remember that it was Jason that came up with the idea for Michael getting a new dance team leading to Michael approaching the humans to team up against Shawn and the Bad Place crew.  His "words of wisdom" were the inspiration for Team Cockroach. 

"I give good advice! I guess that's why I'm in the Good Place!" Jason had not realized that Michael had just effectively told him that he wasn't actually there, but in an elaborate torture simulator, but it still worked out for them. 

20 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

And I'm fine with her being Chidi's love interest for a while, because I'm still totally on board the Eleanor/Tahani train.

Right. The test is to see if the four humans can improve each other. That doesn't necessarily mean they absolutely have to be couples with each other to do that. Janet was fine with that and even ran a simulation of Simone and Childi's potential children. 

• Love 3

Glad this show is back.  Ever since Parks and Recreation I give Mike Schur's shows a chance and I'm always entertained.  I just wished we had a Good Place/Brooklyn Nine Nine Hour.  That would have been perfect. 

I'm also on board the Eleanor/Tahani train. 

I like Chidi's new love interest.  She is gorgeous and has such a lovely accent.   It's so sweet how supportive Eleanor is of this relationship. 

Jason plays better off the main cast.  He is a good actor.  It's not easy playing stupid in movies or TV. 

I'm glad Adam Scott will play a bigger role this season.  He plays the jerk well. 

:)

• Love 6
1 minute ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

I really liked Simone and the actress playing her seemed so familiar--a little trip down the IMDB road to remind me that she was the co-star on one my favorite one-season-wonder shows, Downward Dog.  So glad to see her again!

That's where I've seen her.  I knew she looked familiar too and couldn't place her.  Do you think the Good Place will be able to get Alison Tolman on the show.  She was on Brooklyn Nine Nine.  

• Love 4

In my opinion, this is the smartest, sweetest show on television, so I'm reluctant to admit that I let this sit in my DVR for a couple of days out of fear that it would bore me...aaand it kinda did? The actors are perfect, as usual, but ugh to watching them reboot and regroup and figure the whole thing out for the millionth time. It wears me out. I'm certain they will pick it back up, but I was distracted & probably missed some good stuff while halfheartedly watching. It's an unpopular opinion, but I can't stand Groundhog Day and I'd love it if this could be the last memory wipe. 

• Love 6
On 9/28/2018 at 7:28 AM, whiporee said:

I was a little disappointed because i thought that the arc of the season was going to feel after-school specially with everyone learning to be better people, with a bit of a antagonist thrown in and then maybe the Judge gets involved near the end of the season.  And then I remembered what show I was watching.  I've got five bucks that says that by the end of the next episode -- maybe the one after that -- everything is changed again with the Judge fully aware that the humans are being given a choice between Trevor and Michael.  And then it will change again and again.

Which is what makes it so awesome. 

This is what I love most about this show and why I have so much faith in it. I know that everything is going to change again and I can't wait to see what happens next. The is never really an opportunity for it to get stale. 

On 9/28/2018 at 8:27 AM, Blakeston said:

It took him an hour to choose a muffin before his friend got injured, though, and before the nurse made the comment about blueberries.

I assumed that he had some sort of ethical concerns about each of the different muffin options - like maybe one of them was made with the dreaded almond milk!

It makes sense after all this is the same Chidi who died because he could not pick a bar. He is terrified of making the wrong choice about everything. He sat between two chairs because he was worried that Simone might have a favorite and he did not want to offend her. 

7 hours ago, angora said:

The Doorman's delight at that anti-gravity thermos with the frog on it might be one of the purest things I've ever seen.

While Jason is obviously still a complete dim-bulb, I like that he's been searching for meaning since his near-death experience like the others.  With the other three, Michael nudges them into the right direction by appealing to that existential crisis ("what we owe to each other," urging Chidi to get out of his head by helping someone else, "congratulating" Tahani on being a fraud to reawaken her desire to do this sincerely,) but for Jason, Michael tries to straight-up trick him, offering the Australian dance-crew bait with some joint-study "obligations" attached.  Jason doesn't need that, though - he's ready for something more.  It's interesting to me that Michael underestimates him in that way.  I suppose it's fitting, since Michael's always been closer to Eleanor, Chidi, and Tahani, but it makes me wonder if Jason is going to make more meaningful contributions to Team Cockroach this season.

It is interesting the Jason was the most ready to make a change even before Michael showed up. I loved the moment when Michael had to reevaluate after Jason turned him down and for the first time talked to him like an actual person. 

5 hours ago, JessDVD said:

All the best moments compiled here already. My only addition is that it took me nearly a full 48 hours to figure out what "Everything is bonzer" means. I'll be here all day.

I still don’t know what it means ?

I just read an article on BuzzFeed about the bad Australian accents on the show, with a lot of people commenting on Simone’s accent. I didn’t for one minute even think she was supposed to be Australian. Her accent sounds like a regular old Briitish accent to me. I just assumed she is a Brit in Australia. Any thoughts on this? Did I miss something? 

• Love 5