Type keyword(s) to search

The Jeopardy! All-Star Games

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My Dad was a WWII vet, and worshipped DDE. I was born in 1950, and remember JFK being elected in 1960. Up till then DDE was the only President I knew, thus 1952.

Change the birth year to 1949 and you have me. DDE was the first POTUS elected after I was born. I got it easily.  Pulp Fiction, on the other hand, blew right by me, as I have never seen the movie and have no desire to.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

Same here.  And I am wondering if Alex isn't a big movie watcher.  I know someone yesterday posited that he would be a big Tarantino fan, but he doesn't really strike me as the type to want to sit still and watch movies much.  He has a lot of restless energy, and I think he likes to be actively engaged in things pretty much all the time.  Movies seem a bit passive for him.  I was really sad to see him go, and like many, think that he versus Ken versus Brad would be an amazing game.  They are all so quick, which I think was a big factor here.  I think most of them knew most of the answers, but it came down to who got in fastest more often than not.

I have no idea if he's a big movie watcher or not.  But, if he isn't making it a true daily double wasn't wise.  At all.  I realize that he was trying to put them in a strong position, but if he didn't know much about the subject, that would be foolhardy to the extreme.  On the other hand, if he is a movie buff, but just doesn't like Tarantino, or didn't see that one, or blanked, it makes more sense to me.

• Love 3

I had no idea for FJ and I watch a lot of movies. I just don't care for Tarantino movies.

Buzzy is OK by me and I like Alex so I'm very sorry to see the team go.

• Love 4

I would have thought Alex would have gotten Pulp Fiction because the soundtrack was so, so popular (among a certain demographic including me), but I just looked him up, and he's only 34! So it was Before His Time.  That's got to be devastating, though.

I was out last night, and got a text from my mother that she had gotten FJ! Which I guess is also demographic, but wouldn't US presidents be one of the things you would really study up before a tournament like this? I figured it was Eisenhower, but didn't know when he was elected.

• Love 3

I've seen Pulp Fiction, loved it, loved the soundtrack, but just didn't put it all together. I have no idea whether or not Alex has seen it, but just because he didn't get it doesn't mean he hasn't seen it.

I know the phrase 'madder than a wet hen' but I haven't heard it recently. Also, I've probably only heard it in movies and on TV.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 2727 said:

What are their ages? I was surprised, too, but I'm 67 and maybe it's older people knowledge, mixed with a bit of "down home" usage?

Like, I can definitely hear someone like Dolly Parton in my head drawling, "Sugar, Bubba was mad as a wet hen when the cow kicked over the milking pail."

40 and from the south (me).  80 and from the Pacific northwest (mom).  30 and from the south (nephew). 

17 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

No one knew Deadpool 2!  Heh it helps I’ve been watching it non stop on HBO lately

I've seen Deadpool 2 and yet couldn't come up with it. However, to make up for it, watched it again last night (no HBO, have BluRay).

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Change the birth year to 1949 and you have me. DDE was the first POTUS elected after I was born. I got it easily.  Pulp Fiction, on the other hand, blew right by me, as I have never seen the movie and have no desire to.

This made me laugh because it implies you knew who was president when you were 3 years old. I was way into an advanced double-digit age before the name of our POTUS was even a piece of knowledge in my life. I don't remember anything from when I was 3 years old.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've seen Pulp Fiction, loved it, loved the soundtrack, but just didn't put it all together. I have no idea whether or not Alex has seen it, but just because he didn't get it doesn't mean he hasn't seen it.

I've seen Pulp Fiction multiple times but I pay no attention to music or soundtracks so I didn't know the answer either. I can visualize Travolta doing the "two-finger-across-the-eyes" dance with Uma Thurman, I've seen that clip dozens of times on dozens of shows, but even if you put a thousand bucks on the table I couldn't tell you what music they were dancing to.

I'd bet that same thousand bucks that Alex has seen the movie, it just escaped his already-crammed-full memory bank.

I have no idea why I knew "wet hen." I grew up in the city, didn't get chickens (80 of them!) until after college, never saw any of them wet or mad. It's just something I picked up somewhere along the Road of Life. Not everyone follows the same road, I've discovered.

I would have loved a Ken/Brad/Alex final round, but it's not to be. ("Not to be" rhymes with "Colby." I like Colby just fine, BTW.)

I can't believe he bet it all on DJ and missed Pulp Fiction!!

So gutsy though and made the game exciting. 

I knew FJ and was shocked none of the contestants knew it.  All you had to do was go backwards over the presidents, and not too far, just back to the 50s. 

Even more shocking was I think Woody had the right idea with 1868, US Grant, a general elected who never had elected office.  But he forgot about Eisenhower somehow? 

Can't stand Colby, hope his team is crushed. 

Go Ken and Matt!  And whats her name, I guess. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Jesse said:

I would have thought Alex would have gotten Pulp Fiction because the soundtrack was so, so popular (among a certain demographic including me), but I just looked him up, and he's only 34! So it was Before His Time.  That's got to be devastating, though.

I was out last night, and got a text from my mother that she had gotten FJ! Which I guess is also demographic, but wouldn't US presidents be one of the things you would really study up before a tournament like this? I figured it was Eisenhower, but didn't know when he was elected.

If you remember a few things you can get to 1952 for Eisenhower :

Truman took over for FDR when he died and then the famous Dewey Defeats Truman was 1948. 

Kennedy of course was 1960, most know that

In between is Eisenhower, so its 1952 and 1956.  Firsts term was 1952

• Love 1
(edited)
55 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Even more shocking was I think Woody had the right idea with 1868,

Who?

55 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

Can't stand Colby, hope his team is crushed. 

Ken and Matt are on my Fantasy Team, but I think it would be hee-larious if Colby's team won. And yeah, I'd be okay with that. Go Colby!

Edited by saber5055

I forgot to post that Trebek got to say "genre" twice in Friday's game. *drink/drink* He also took it upon himself to repeat an answer that was a Frenchman's name. The player said the name "normally;" Trebek repeated it so it had about 10 syllables in it.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This made me laugh because it implies you knew who was president when you were 3 years old. I was way into an advanced double-digit age before the name of our POTUS was even a piece of knowledge in my life. I don't remember anything from when I was 3 years old.

I was born in 1959 and I remember when Kennedy was assassinated.  My mother was watching a soap opera while ironing and Walter Cronkite interrupted with the news.    

I got FJ right, and also Hogmany.  

• Love 2

I do remember some things from before I was 3½. We moved to Miami at that time, so I have a clear dividing line for my memories - and I *do* have a few of when we lived in Pennsylvania.  Remembering Ike was POTUS came later, though.

Someone above mentioned the "I Like Ike" bumper sticker. I saw a button in '72 for Nixon: "They can't lick our Dick"   -- I don't know if that's a "bwaahahahahaha" or an "AIIIIEEEEEE."

As much as I dislike Austin, I have to say he's awfully nice to applaud for everybody else.

• LOL 3
(edited)

The first political memory I have was Reagan winning the presidency when I was 7. 

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Who?

Ken and Matt are on my Fantasy Team, but I think it would be hee-larious if Colby's team won. And yeah, I'd be okay with that. Go Colby!

The question of who Woody was thinking of with 1868, that was the year US Grant won.  He was another famous general that won the presidency without every holding office beforehand, just like Eisenhower. But Eisenhower did it about 90 years later and was the answer. 

I forget the exact wording of the question though.  I think it said ELECTED position?  US Grant was Secretary of War briefly before being president.  But that is not an elected position

So right idea and right things to identify, wrong president. 

The interesting question would be, and I don't know the answer, how many presidents have EVER won the presidency with never having served any political office beforehand? 

It might be just Eisenhower and US Grant

And I think its safe to say, though I don't know for sure, Trump is the first one to have never had a prior elected office AND never to have even served in the military in any capacity. 

Edited by DrSpaceman
(edited)
On 3/2/2019 at 7:21 AM, Katy M said:

I feel like I'm the only person besides Alex who didn't know Pulp Fiction....

I didn't know it, either.  I've never seen Pulp Fiction.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:04 AM, zoey1996 said:

I knew Hogmanay, but couldn't pull it out of my brain.

Same here. 

23 hours ago, saber5055 said:

.....didn't get chickens (80 of them!) until after college.....

Ack!! I currently live on a property with 35, which is 35 too many for me. 

Friday, I got Princeton and stamps. 

#TeamICanNotWaitForThisTournamentToBeOver

Edited by lb60
  • Love 1

I’ve seen Pulp Fiction but couldn’t tell you where Son of a Preacher Man was used. If you’d asked me about songs on that soundtrack, I could’ve only come up with “That Chuck Berry song in the dance contest” and the Urge Overkill one (and that one only because they were from my city, so it was a big deal around town that they’d made it into a Tarantino movie).

• Love 1
23 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Final was an instaget for me.  History/Political science double major.  But I did yell Eisenhower, 52, and then spent time counting back from Kennedy in 60 and up from Truman 48 just to make sure. 

I couldn't believe they all missed on Final Jeopardy.  Eisenhower just jumps out at you because he was a general who became president.  Well one of them at least had the right idea but got the year wrong.

• Love 2

I'm enjoying the tournament but ready for it to be over. As much as I like watching top players compete, I'm getting tired of the same people over & over & over. But I'm sure the Jeoptestants are having a blast, and I'm happy for them. 

I felt gutted for Alex, but he did what he felt he had to do. I did like all of the players on Team Buzzy, but am fine with Team Colby advancing. I like Pam's dresses #shallow, like Alan, and don't hate Colby. It's going to be a fight between Ken & Brad, and Brad has the historic edge. Should be interesting, but if Monica & Brad wind up playing in the same round(s) I will have to skip it/them. 

TS I got were The Sheik, Princeton (Leonard's missed DD), Wicked Tuna, Deadpool 2, Pulp Fiction (Alex's missed DD; we were yelling too). I knew Eisenhower was the president, but also said 1956. It was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush.

On 3/1/2019 at 7:30 PM, saber5055 said:

Just like I'm "the frozen food heiress" when people ask me about my last name. It earns you nice street cred.

Saber5055 Ben&Jerry??? 🍨

8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I forgot to post that Trebek got to say "genre" twice in Friday's game. *drink/drink* He also took it upon himself to repeat an answer that was a Frenchman's name. The player said the name "normally;" Trebek repeated it so it had about 10 syllables in it.

This game was Frenchie accent heaven for AT. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

Saber5055 Ben&Jerry??? 🍨

Eyeroll to the emojis here. I know that’s supposed to be ice cream, but it looks like a cow udder in a bowl.

• LOL 3
48 minutes ago, opus said:

Eyeroll to the emojis here. I know that’s supposed to be ice cream, but it looks like a cow udder in a bowl.

I may be put off of ice cream forever now, am not sure whether to love you or hate you for that!! 

• LOL 1
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

The interesting question would be, and I don't know the answer, how many presidents have EVER won the presidency with never having served any political office beforehand? 

George Washington, also a general.

• Love 2

Yes, two more days.    I haven't really enjoyed this tournament as much as I thought I would so I'll be glad to get back to regular games on Wednesday. 

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, opus said:

My browser doesn't show the emojis, I just get this:

1591473371_BJ.png.b873e875852286c7adf19b1a021a1519.png

While I love ice cream (and B+J is the best), and I know it (eventually) comes from cow udders, I'm kinda glad I can't see the emoji now.

Good luck with your team, @Driad. My fantasy hopes ended when Alex went home. Maybe I can win two-thirds of a Lindblad cruise?

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I was born in 1959 and I remember when Kennedy was assassinated.  My mother was watching a soap opera while ironing and Walter Cronkite interrupted with the news.    

I also was born in 1959 and remember my mother ironing and crying. I can't remember what was on TV, but I've always wondered if it was the news of Kennedy's assassination.

21 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

If you remember a few things you can get to 1952 for Eisenhower :

Truman took over for FDR when he died and then the famous Dewey Defeats Truman was 1948. 

Kennedy of course was 1960, most know that

In between is Eisenhower, so its 1952 and 1956.  Firsts term was 1952

Well, when you put it like that!

• LOL 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

My browser doesn't show the emojis, I just get this:

1591473371_BJ.png.b873e875852286c7adf19b1a021a1519.png

I guess it depends where you see them, if they do show up. It looks different viewing it on my PC today then it did last night looking at it on my tablet (but neither looks like ice cream 🙂)

Edited by opus
  • Love 1

Unpopular opinion - I love this tournament. I get to see some of the best players competing against each other. My favorite is Alan Lin and felt so bad for him being stuck in Team Colby. 

• Love 7
(edited)

I haven’t found the questions harder, I don’t like the tournament because there is unnecessary filler and I find switching the contestansts loses the momentum.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7
23 minutes ago, JunebugWA said:

Unpopular opinion - I love this tournament. I get to see some of the best players competing against each other. My favorite is Alan Lin and felt so bad for him being stuck in Team Colby. 

I like the tournament too.

• Love 1
(edited)
51 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I haven’t found the questions harder,

I haven't, either, at least not significantly/overall - there was one night where I completely sucked in round one, but I can have a really bad round in a given regular episode, too, and I thought the William Blake FJ (which I happened to get right on a wild-ass guess rooted in ignorance) was a good bit harder than average, but, again, an outlier pops up from time to time in a regular game - but I have often found the all-stars faster to ring in and rattle off the answer, so there are more times than usual that I'm sitting here trying to pull it out of my brain and don't get the chance before the first one of them answers.

But it has still been fun; I watch for the clues, not the contestants, so other than enduring Austin (whom I missed the first time around - and am now retroactively grateful for my busy work schedule at the time), it has just been a variation on the norm for me.  I'm looking forward to the two-day final, which should be pretty much the regular format, just switching out the interview segment for the strategizing segment, which I like, even though it's probably something they film as a recap after having their actual strategizing session (which in itself probably amounts to discussing whether to alter the strategy they had coming in).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, JunebugWA said:

My favorite is Alan Lin and felt so bad for him being stuck in Team Colby. 

I fell for him a little more each time he pushed up his glasses.

• Love 3
(edited)
48 minutes ago, 2727 said:

I fell for him a little more each time he pushed up his glasses.

I've liked him since he "air wrote" equations and answers during his regular season play. (Even though that was a tournament too.) I do the same thing, not that I have anywhere near his brain capacity. But I can visualize things if I write them with my finger in the air.

I also like the glasses thing. "This girl will make passes at boys who wear glasses."

I wouldn't feel bad that he is "stuck" on Team Colby. He's going to the Million Dollar Finals. I don't consider that stuck at all!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I think you're forgetting the obvious of Trump and as someone else said Washington.  And, the not-so-obvious, Zachary Taylor, but I'll admit to being less than 100% sure on that one and am too lazy to look it up.

1 minute ago, Katy M said:

I think you're forgetting the obvious of Trump and as someone else said Washington.  And, the not-so-obvious, Zachary Taylor, but I'll admit to being less than 100% sure on that one and am too lazy to look it up.

Well Trump was implied as the question at hand for FJ was before Trump was elected in 2016, so yes I knew that one, and mentioned it later in my response, he had no prior elected office and no prior military experience at all. 

Washington as mentioned served in VA prior to being president

You are right about Zachary Taylor, another general elected office, no other prior experience in politics

21 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

The question of who Woody was thinking of with 1868, that was the year US Grant won.  He was another famous general that won the presidency without every holding office beforehand, just like Eisenhower. But Eisenhower did it about 90 years later and was the answer. 

I forget the exact wording of the question though.  I think it said ELECTED position?  US Grant was Secretary of War briefly before being president.  But that is not an elected position  Wording: Prior to 2016 it was the last election year in which the winning candidate had never held public elected office

And I think its safe to say, though I don't know for sure, Trump is the first one to have never had a prior elected office AND never to have even served in the military in any capacity. 

According to Wikipedia, "5 Presidents had never been elected to public office before becoming President: Zachary Taylor, Ulysses S. Grant, Herbert Hoover, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Donald Trump." and this: "22 Presidents had previous military experience; 9 were generals in the US Army."

To find the article, I googled, "elected president without prior elected office experience"

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:32 AM, bybrandy said:

Is that phrase regional?  I was surprised nobody got it.  But even more surprised that the two people I happened to have watched with didn't get it either.

Having been raised in New England, this was a phrase with which I was very familiar.  Perhaps it's more generational, rather than regional.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:16 PM, saber5055 said:

<snip>

First, nice to see you again @Tunia. It's been a while. Thanks for the 538 info. I am positive that's exactly why the FJ bet. Great reporting job, plus, as "they" say: "And now you know."

<snip>

Thank you for the greeting, @Saber5055!  Health issues kept me away for a bit, but I'm on the mend and re-engaging.

Edited by Tunia
Proper grammar is a good thing.
  • Love 3
46 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Having been raised in New England, this was a phrase with which I was very familiar.  Perhaps it's more generational, rather than regional.

I've lived in New England my whole life and (assuming we're still discussing the angry as a wet hen phrase), I've only ever heard that on an episode of Little House on the Prairie.

13 hours ago, Tunia said:

Perhaps it's more generational, rather than regional.

I think that's what it is.  I am an older person and I am familiar with it.