Type keyword(s) to search

The Jeopardy! All-Star Games

• Start Topic

5 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Yes Saber5055 I did notice all the letters of Titian being pronounced.  Clearly information gained through reading, not speech.

No, it was an intentional joke right out of E. Buzz Miller's Art Classics from 1977's SNL. Check it out.

"This is a really nice painting of a broad on a couch."

• LOL 2
  • Love 3

I got Desert and Cro-Magnon. I didn't have a guess for FJ. Velvet Revolution sounded familiar, but I couldn't have said where that phrase came from.

It's a pleasure watching Ken zip thru the clues, though I felt bad for the other contestants.

Any idea what the bet of $538 meant?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Yes, and it bugged me. Maybe he was thinking of his full first name, "Tiziano" and mushed the two together?

The key is knowing who E. Buzz Miller is. If you don't, you don't get the joke.

I found this tidbit on Wikipedia:

Jennings appeared on the second-season premiere of 500 Questions on May 26, 2016 and was eliminated on the fourth question by winter 2012 college champion Monica Thieu, leaving with no winnings.

A valid reason for Ken picking Monica for his team.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

I can't believe no one got Dominion/Canada Day.  Really?

It’s my favorite when they miss “easy” Canadian clues because it annoys Alex.

I thought that all the FJs in this tournament have been too easy.

• Love 2

Would my FJ! reply of “what is I have no fucking idea?” been accepted?  Sad to see Team Julia out.  Ben, Seth, and Julia were 3 of my favorite players ever.  I predict Team Ken to win the whole thing.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Was one of the "4,3,4" answers "Read one mind"? I thought whoever answered it started it and paused after "Read..." because he was going to say "Read ONE'S mind" and then remembered the category, so questioningly answered "Read...one mind?"

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, SHD said:

Was one of the "4,3,4" answers "Read one mind"? I thought whoever answered it started it and paused after "Read..." because he was going to say "Read ONE'S mind" and then remembered the category, so questioningly answered "Read...one mind?"

I found that clue clunky, because you usually think of "read your mind."  So, I think read the mind, read his mind, read her mind, all would have been accepted.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I predict Team Ken to win the whole thing.

Maybe not if Monica continues to be dead weight. Also, her twitchy buzzer handling made me minimize my browser and go audio only. Her nerves were contagious and I got slightly anxious watching her.

Everyone but Ken is unfamiliar to me but I'm liking Leonard best so far. He's one smooth dude.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But I did get the TS of Perrotta, five and dime, desert, and Cro-Magnon

I got five and dime, desert and Cro-Magnon.  I'm pretty embarrassed to have said "Tintoretto" instead of "Titian", but at least I pronounced it correctly.  No, Ken and Alex, it is not Tit-ian, it's Tishan.

Okay, so putting up with Austin was so worth it to watch Ken crush him.  So far, the two best teams are deservedly in the final.  Doesn't surprise me since they're lead by the two biggest Jeopardy winners ever.  And they've both chosen their teams wisely.

14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Did it sound to anyone else like Alex said "Cro-Magnum"?  I would have thought he'd be all over pronouncing that one correctly.

Speaking of mis-pronouncing . . .

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The FJ category was good with me. I was alive during some of the 1900s. Then the clue was revealed and I was like, "What? Who?" Then the answer was revealed and I was like, "Huh? Gah!" Total loss for me. I couldn't have answered if the answer were given to me.

The Velvet Revolution was the peaceful transition of the government of Czechoslovakia from communism in 1989.  I got it because I knew Vaclav Havel became president afterwards.  I thought it was interesting that Matt originally put "Velvet Divorce" since that was the term given to the peaceful break-up of the country into the Czech Republic and Slovakia four years later.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Jesse said:

Along those lines, I thought it was Neandertal now, no H?

When the book was published, it was still Neanderthal, so I guess that's why.

12 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I got the TS of Dominion Day being July 1 - Detroit and Windsor do joint fireworks in late June to celebrate it and the 4th. 

I did too.  I have a Canadian friend whose first time visiting me coincided with Dominion Day and the Fourth of July both.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I’m also a bit surprised no one at least guessed Portland.

Me, too.  Even if you didn't know which NW city, guess one.  That's what I did.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No, it was an intentional joke right out of E. Buzz Miller's Art Classics from 1977's SNL. Check it out.

"This is a really nice painting of a broad on a couch."

I was not familiar with that.  Okay, so I take back my criticism.  Luckily I was not the one judging the match, 'cause I'd have counted it as wrong.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I was not familiar with that.  Okay, so I take back my criticism.  Luckily I was not the one judging the match, 'cause I'd have counted it as wrong.

You're allowed to mispronounce as long as you don't add or subtract any letters.  Same with spelling on FJ.  As long as you have spelled it in such a way that you could pronounce it correctly from your spelling, it's correct.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Katy M said:

You're allowed to mispronounce as long as you don't add or subtract any letters.  Same with spelling on FJ.  As long as you have spelled it in such a way that you could pronounce it correctly from your spelling, it's correct.

Yeah, I know.  :-)   Someone would've overruled it.  But having taken a lot of Renaissance art courses at college, it bugged me.  Now that I know it was a joke, well, it still bugs me a little, but not as much.  I've seen the Venus of Urbino -  she really is a nice broad on a coach, lol.

8 hours ago, Tunia said:

Oddly enough, I  randomly came across this website https://fivethirtyeight.com/ today via a political forum, and thought of Matt's wager, wondering if there was a connection.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FiveThirtyEight

Oh! Yes, I've heard of that site. Thanks.

2 hours ago, SHD said:

Yeah, that answer just didn't sound right to my ears. "Read one mind?" Who EVER says that?  unless you're distinguishing betw reading one or two minds.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It’s my favorite when they miss “easy” Canadian clues because it annoys Alex.

Well, I must confess it annoys me too.  Generally speaking, it is a pet peeve of most Canadians that our neighbours to the south know so little about us.  

Especially surprising that a group of elite champs missed the clue.  But, hey, they missed Portland and "five and dime" too. 

Edited by 3 is enough
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Fex said:

Did anyone else know iguanodon from Fox Trot? Just me?

BMS please! Do you mean Fox Trot the comic? I'd never heard of iguanodon, but Ken is a comics fan plus also wrote a Junior Genius Guide about dinosaurs. "Foxtrot" is a very special word for me which is why the BMS please!

9 hours ago, Tunia said:

Oddly enough, I  randomly came across this website https://fivethirtyeight.com/ today via a political forum, and thought of Matt's wager, wondering if there was a connection.

First, nice to see you again @Tunia. It's been a while. Thanks for the 538 info. I am positive that's exactly why the FJ bet. Great reporting job, plus, as "they" say: "And now you know."

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

But having taken a lot of Renaissance art courses at college, it bugged me. 

Before I realized he was doing a take-off on E. Buzz Miller, I thought I'd squandered my five years of art history classes. Once I caught on, it was a hilarious in joke.

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I found that clue clunky, because you usually think of "read your mind."  So, I think read the mind, read his mind, read her mind, all would have been accepted.

I thought "read my mind," so I was stumped. I agree, the clue was not well done, even though the player managed a correct answer.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I thought it was interesting that Matt originally put "Velvet Divorce" since that was the term given to the peaceful break-up of the country into the Czech Republic and Slovakia four years later.

Thanks for that explanation. I thought the crossed-out "divorce" maybe was another insider joke. I've learned several new things from this single Jeopardy episode. GFM!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Yeah, that answer just didn't sound right to my ears. "Read one mind?" Who EVER says that?  unless you're distinguishing betw reading one or two minds.

The clunky answer came from the clunky clue, contorted to meet the 4,3,4 category.  Had it been "To ascertain someone's thoughts, as by telepathy," most people would have forgotten the category and said "read their mind" (or maybe "read your mind"), so they hammered it home by using "to ascertain one person's thoughts" - and the contestant still had to pause and reconfigure his, well, mind to come up with an answer that fit the category, because it's not a natural way of phrasing.  Like a poster above, I think "read her mind" or "read his mind" were also on the list of acceptable answers.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I confuse E. Buzz Miller with Leonard Pinth Garnel.

Bad Conceptual Theater!

34 minutes ago, opus said:

Who's the one who sold bags of broken glass to kids?

Irwin Mainway! Also Dan Aykroyd. I can see how we're getting mixed up. Damn you, Ken Jennings.

Edited by saber5055
Because I can't speell.
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

BMS please! Do you mean Fox Trot the comic? I'd never heard of iguanodon, but Ken is a comics fan plus also wrote a Junior Genius Guide about dinosaurs. "Foxtrot" is a very special word for me which is why the BMS please!

Yes, Fox Trot the comic. I always thought the dance and the NATO alphabet for 'f' were just one word. Now I'm wondering if there's another use I don't know about!

One of the kids in Fox Trot has a pet iguana, and sometimes there are fantasy sequences or dreams where it is a dinosaur. The iguana is frequently used to torment the older sister, of course. My family has a bunch of Fox Trot books at the cottage. 

• Love 5

I admit...I did not get FJ (although when Alex said "William Blake", I knew immediately what the answer was), but I feel I at least had a better answer than the contestants---Water Water (Samuel Taylor Coleridge). STC was English and a poet around the same time as WB and it's possible water may have been significant at one point in "The Jungle Book", so it was a good answer and one which I thought was right (asterisk!), up until Alex mentioned Blake. Sigh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

I should have gotten FJ, but couldn't come up with anything until Alex said William Blake.  D'oh!

But I really don't know who to root for.  Austin and Colby annoy me so much!  Especially Colby tonight with his leaning and his smirks. 

ETA:  I suspect Alan thought of the right thing just after time was up, and that's why he was so upset.  Or maybe not, but I don't know why else he would be, since his team has the lead at the minute.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I should have gotten FJ, but couldn't come up with anything until Alex said William Blake.  D'oh!

But I really don't know who to root for.  Austin and Colby annoy me so much!  Especially Colby tonight with his leaning and his smirks. 

ETA:  I suspect Alan thought of the right thing just after time was up, and that's why he was so upset.  Or maybe not, but I don't know why else he would be, since his team has the lead at the minute.

I didn't really notice how he performed in the other game.  I usually just pay attention to the clues and my own performance as opposed to the actual game going on.  Maybe he felt he wasn't pulling his weight and wanted to get his team a huge lead?  Or felt he should have known it?  I mean, the person playing FJ literally has one job.  

I actually got the answer  so was surprised that none of the smart people did.  Granted, I was guessing, but since two of them didn't write anything down, I'm feeling kind of good about myself for five minutes.

• Love 4

Is Colby always that annoying?

Man I hope Alex wipes the floor with everyone tomorrow and gets all their money back and then some.  Of all the teams left he’s the one I want to see again next week.  Also Buzzy is not as irritating as Austin.

• Love 7
(edited)

Of the three in it, I want Team Buzzy to win the wild card (Miss you already Team Julia!).  I was annoyed with the lack of a BMS on the question about who the historical versus Biblical pharaoh was, since Buzzy just said "Ramses", and there were actually ten total pharaohs named Ramses.  He was referring to Ramses II, also known as Ramses the Great, but common, all the other pharaohs in the clues had numbers with them, and the answers were all pharaohs without numbers (essentially), but at least give the appellation, even if they don't require the number.

I did love (and run) the category though.  I love Egyptian history.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I was annoyed with the lack of a BMS on the question about who the historical versus Biblical pharaoh was, since Buzzy just said "Ramses", and there were actually ten total pharaohs named Ramses.

"Kit Carson!" yells Saber!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
(edited)
11 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I was annoyed with the lack of a BMS on the question about who the historical versus Biblical pharaoh was

Agreed.  Also "Loman" and "Ripken" needed to BMS.  There are a number of Lomans in 'Death of A Salesman.'  George C. Scott could have played Biff perhaps.  Also Cal Ripken's brother Billy was a baseball player. 

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 4
(edited)

I was surprised at how many TSs there were in the last two days, and I know I had most of them (minimally, Canada Day, Desert Fox, and Five and Dime).  I liked the 4,3,4 format category.

I'm impressed by the machines - Ken, Alex, Larissa, Matt - they are so quick and correct so often.  I'm hoping Buzzy's team wins the wildcard just to potentially see three of the four in the same round against each other.

Edited by GenerationX
  • Love 4
55 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Avoiding a complete shutout, I managed to come up with wet hen. Take that, brainiacs!

This tournament has not been good for my self-esteem.

I also got wet hen, partially because it was so iconic when Troy outsmarted Katrina in the first season of the Apprentice and it sounded with his accent like he said "ooh, she is mad as a wet ham" LOL.

• LOL 2

While we're on the subject of BMS Ramses, Ripkin and Loman, I'll add that the answer of "bovine" surprised me. Sheep and goats are bovids (noun) of the family bovidae while bovine (noun) is an animal of the tribe bovini that includes cattle, buffalo and bison. As an adjective, bovine is of or pertaining to cattle. Not sheep or goats.

Yeah, I know, it gave me a headache too.

Side note: It is rare to see or "catch" a cud but I did once when one of my dairy goats hocked one up and I got a full blast of the smell. Conclusion: Be grateful if you live your entire life without ever encountering a cud. (None of my sheep were ever so rude as to cough a cud at me, so I can't comment on that.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I did too.  I have a Canadian friend whose first time visiting me coincided with Dominion Day and the Fourth of July both.

I think I have written before about the time I was visiting a friend in Victoria over Canada Day weekend (I live in Ontario) and there was an older (late sixties) couple visiting from Washington State who wanted to know what 'Canada Day' was. They just found themselves in the middle of all of the festivities just outside the BC Legislature and wanted to know what Canada Day was celebrating.

I was completely perplexed as I didn't realize they were American...so my confused response of "Confederation" wasn't very useful to them. My friend clued in though and was more helpful 😛

28 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

Agreed.  Also "Loman" and "Ripken" needed to BMS.  There are a number of Lomans in 'Death of A Salesman.'  George C. Scott could have played Biff perhaps.  Also Cal Ripken's brother Billy was a baseball player. 

I actually said "Loman...what was his name, Biff?" I hate Death of a Salesman. Biff is the only first name I remember from that play because it is a silly name. I was surprised that just "Loman" was accepted. Even now - I already forget what the actual first name was supposed to be.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I actually said "Loman...what was his name, Biff?" I hate Death of a Salesman. Biff is the only first name I remember from that play because it is a silly name. I was surprised that just "Loman" was accepted. Even now - I already forget what the actual first name was supposed to be.

Willie

• Love 1
(edited)
39 minutes ago, secnarf said:

so my confused response of "Confederation" wasn't very useful to them.

Especially since they probably didn't have any Confederate money with them or their stars-and-bars flag to wave since they were from Washington.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Colby, Buzzy, and Austin in the same round?  Annoyance meters all over the country were pegged tonight.  (I’m entertained by Colby and his eyebrow, but Buzzy and Austin at the same time is too much to ask anyone to bear.)

Good game, though.  My brain took a while to kick in; I did reasonably well in DJ, but I was astoundingly bad in the first round; I just sort of sat here with my brain saying "processing, please wait" while they spit out answer after answer.

I got the wet hen TS and FJ, so good for me.  With FJ, it was  a matter of knowing precious little about poetry, so Blake was simply the only British poet of anything resembling that era (based on my very loose calculation of when The Jungle Book came out, minus 100 years) I could think of; I didn't actually know anything about The Tyger/"Tiger! Tiger!" and think that was a really hard clue that I just happened to luck my way into guessing -- as a contestant, I might have psyched myself out of even writing down my wild-ass guess.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Bazinga said:

I disagree. "Loman" and "Ripken" were enuf to answer the questions. Yes, there are others, but Willie and Cal were major enuf that no specification was needed. (IMO)

I could not think of 'wet hen'. I came up with wet duck then wet goose then... nothing.

• Love 1