Type keyword(s) to search

The Jeopardy! All-Star Games

• Start Topic

FJ! was an instaget, due to reading the book Ragtime.  I screamed at Buzzy for not getting it.  I saw Winged Victory a few years ago and it moved me to tears.   It is also known as Nike, but Winged Victory is the more common name.

Edited by PaulaO
  • Love 1

I was completely clueless for FJ tonight. 

But it was much better, since we at least got the whole game.  I didn't even mind the switching up of players too much, although I really have to pay closer attention so I know who's on which team. 

Unfortunately, we'll start the madness again next week when we're introduced to the other three teams.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

That's it for us.  I like seeing these great players again but the chit chat is taking up so much time and then they play faster than most people when they get going so there's less time for the players at home to get their answer in.  We're a family of three adults and we have different areas of expertise, I can usually get most of the literature questions, my son can run any sports category and my husband can get almost everything else.  So we miss getting our nightly fix of playing along and feeling smart for a brief moment in time.

I'm with you.  I wouldn't mind so much if the questions weren't at the same level as regular J!  To me these returnees are champions of the buzzer and, for too many, champions of studied "personalities."

• Love 1

I got FJ, but didn't. I remember her being on Murdoch Mysteries, but I couldn't think of her name to save my life. Once I got "Schwartz" into my head, I couldn't think of anything else. (My black cat's last name is Schwartz.)

I forgot Africa bulges out on the west coast & just thought Morocco was westernmost, but couldn't come up with an M country only 7 letters long for the east. But, I swear, I do MUCH better on African geography (well, countries at least; don't ask about rivers, lakes, mountains, and deserts) since  I play this: https://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/how-many-countries-can-you-name

I find that jetpunk site a treasure trove of quizzes.

And I recently learned on Jeopardy! that Swaziland is now Eswatini.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

The answer to the "3-2-1 Area Code" clue was NOT Cape Kennedy. Cape Kennedy was only so named between 1963 and 1973, The correct answer, the Kennedy Space Center (KSC), is not the same thing as what was known as Cape Kennedy (Cape Canaveral).

Thanks for the explanation. I thought it was Cape Kennedy way before 1999.

I got Wedgewood and dust. I didn't get FJ, but I knew once I heard the name I'd give a big "DOH!"

Grrr; the one night of the all-stars championship that traffic got me home halfway through the episode is the one night that meant actually missing half the game; if that had happened night one, I'd have only missed about five clues.

Thankfully, the archive is already updated, so I was able to read the clues from the first round.  I was very surprised to get all but one of the TV by the Numbers clues that stumped them, because I don't watch any of them.  I think the only one that surprises me as a TS is One Life to Live.

The Wedgwood TS definitely surprised me.  Allergy and gallery, a bit, too (and, oh how I loved that anagrams category!).

3 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

The answer to the "3-2-1 Area Code" clue was NOT Cape Kennedy. Cape Kennedy was only so named between 1963 and 1973, The correct answer, the Kennedy Space Center (KSC), is not the same thing as what was known as Cape Kennedy (Cape Canaveral). Come on, producers! This was billed as top-shelf Jeopardy!

Having just read it, that bugged me, too -- the clue asked for the facility ("in a nod to this facility named for a president"), so that's the Kennedy Space Center.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I got FJ, but didn't. I remember her being on Murdoch Mysteries, but I couldn't think of her name to save my life. Once I got "Schwartz" into my head, I couldn't think of anything else. (My black cat's last name is Schwartz.)

This was almost exactly me too!  I immediately pictured the actress from Murdoch, only for some reason I thought her name was "Rosa."

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, SHD said:

I don’t understand why Alex looked so upset about and bet so little on the Double Jeopardy questions.

I was very surprised at that and don't understand it either. Maybe the team had an agreement to bet small on any DDs after they considered their wagering. It's a 2-game "match", right? Something like that. If it made sense on some level because of risk management in the betting then they didn't show us that discussion backstage.

It was weird. I thought Alex didn't like the category of the first DD and that's why he bet $100. But right after that he went straight to the $2,000 clue and I was like what the...?

And then it happened again when he found the other DD in the other category. A $100 wager. I don't get it.

Edited by Tabasco Cat
typo
  • Love 1
46 minutes ago, SHD said:

I don’t understand why Alex looked so upset about and bet so little on the Double Jeopardy questions.

I have the vague memory Alex intermittently had a demeanor seemingly at odds with the situation during his original run (I think at one point the other Alex said something like "strange behavior that works"). 

With the DD he only bet $100 on, when he looked pissed off when the clue was read, I figured it was because he knew the answer and would have scored big if he'd bet more.  But then he didn't spit it out until after time ran out.

He was a professional poker player, and I think some of his attitude is to keep his competitors from thinking they know what he's confident in and what he's not.  Oh, and he'd take a long time to choose and answer, right - to slow down the game and preserve his lead?  His strategies are slowly coming back to me, and I think maybe there was even an occasional strategy of betting really small on DD (although he frequently bet it all); he was first and foremost about getting the DD for himself (taking it off the table for the others) and then he'd either go big (often) or basically just throw it away - what mattered was finding them before anyone else, and maybe he'd wager to make it potentially quite profitable, but if not, it doesn't matter as much as the fact no one else has the possibility of making the DD a game-changer.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6

I am still on the fence regarding the format, not so much that it is a change per se but I find it clunky. Who knows, maybe I'll get so accustomed to it by the end that when regular games resume I will wonder who is playing DJ & FJ 😉

TS I got were Wedgwood; allergy/gallery; Babylon 5; 2 Guys & A Girl. I knew Emma from 'Timeless', but couldn't remember her last name. 

7 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

The answer to the "3-2-1 Area Code" clue was NOT Cape Kennedy. Cape Kennedy was only so named between 1963 and 1973, The correct answer, the Kennedy Space Center (KSC), is not the same thing as what was known as Cape Kennedy (Cape Canaveral). Come on, producers! This was billed as top-shelf Jeopardy!

My parents are visiting for the weekend and they & Dr. Toothbrush all knew the answer immediately. I asked how they got it so fast since I had no clue, and my dad was like, "3-2-1". D'oh. They all said Kennedy Space Center, & agreed that Cape Kennedy should not have been accepted. 

6 hours ago, GenerationX said:

I loved the double anagram category.  Swept that.

That was fun! My mom & I swept that. 

4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

(My black cat's last name is Schwartz.)

My in-laws had a black cat named Schwartz who lived to be about 23. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

Having just read it, that bugged me, too -- the clue asked for the facility ("in a nod to this facility named for a president"), so that's the Kennedy Space Center.

15 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I too thought this was questionable.  I visited KSC in January, and thought that should have been the answer.  However, in the J Archive, it states "Cape Kennedy, or the Kennedy Space Center. Jennifer"  I'm going to go back and watch that to see what she really says.

Yikes, Brad, yikes.  Alan had a nice little redemption arc, and Jennifer showed up too.  Larissa, you the real MVP.

15 hours ago, PaulaO said:

FJ! was an instaget, due to reading the book Ragtime.  I screamed at Buzzy for not getting it.

Book and musical for me, plus Assassins, and then it all got nicely underlined when I read Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation.  If there's a thing I know, it's Emma Goldman's name.  I was shocked when Buzzy missed it, but Colby apparently almost did too.  She's clearly not the household name I think she is.

I lol'd at the Hawaii 5-0 answer, and I missed one of the double anagrams, but I can't remember which.  And I thought the dish was Chinese chicken salad, but I guess one's as spurious as the other, so what does it really matter.

• Love 3
59 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

I too thought this was questionable.  I visited KSC in January, and thought that should have been the answer.  However, in the J Archive, it states "Cape Kennedy, or the Kennedy Space Center. Jennifer"  I'm going to go back and watch that to see what she really says.

She said Cape Kennedy and Alex immediately pronounced her correct and said “Cape Kennedy or Kennedy Space Center.”

I’m disappointed in Buzzy because I only want good things for Alex J.  I’m assuming though that they move on, because they were speaking as if it was a given?

Larissa is a machine and I don’t like it because Brad and also Dave needs to put the damn buzzer lower.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

I think the only one that surprises me as a TS is One Life to Live.

When I heard "Agnes Nixon", I immediately started answering "All My Children", but when they got to the Lords & Buchanans, I knew it was OLTL (which, I did not realize was also created by Agnes Nixon (not that I watched it, but I know last names of major families on almost all the soaps)).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

when they got to the Lords & Buchanans, I knew it was OLTL

I got OLTL since, if I take a ride way back in the Wayback Machine, I used to watch As The World Turns and Guiding Light. My boyfriend (long gone now!) watched OLTL so I started watching that too, just for him. Asa Buchanan is a name I'll not forget!

2 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

And I thought the dish was Chinese chicken salad

I thought that was a bad clue, and so did Alan based on the look on his face when he answered. I had no idea that was an official name of a real dish. Yeah, I've seen it on menus but IMO they should have used something else.

Larissa is the star of this tournament so far. I wish I had her on my Fantasy Team.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2

Last night's show was fun, where they actually finally played a full game. I liked having a different player for each round. And I like seeing the off-stage strategizing and how the teammates are rooting for each other. It's cheesy, but fun. And what's cheesier than that opening, with the team captains all walking dramatically in slo mo? It's so over-the-top, I can't help but laugh!

Nice to see that Colby apparently used some of his earnings to get some suit jackets that mostly fit. It was funny when they had the montage of his winning streak, showing him in one ill-fitting jacket after another!

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I'm thinking it pained Alex to bet only $100 on those DDs since he's the "Bet it all" guy. My thinking is he was told to low ball the DDs just to keep the team ahead in the off chance he would miss one of the DD. That he got that "missed" Arctic DD answer in just seconds after (or during) the time's up buzzer was harsh.

19 minutes ago, DXD526 said:

It was funny when they had the montage of his winning streak, showing him in one ill-fitting jacket after another!

Aw, this makes me feel sorry for him. *sad face*

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I’m disappointed in Buzzy because I only want good things for Alex J.  I’m assuming though that they move on, because they were speaking as if it was a given?

Yes, since the three highest scoring teams out of the four non winners move on to the wild-card game, it is impossible for a second placed team to be eliminated at this stage.

The tournament will proceed like this -

Brad + winner of match2 move on to the Championship

Buzzy + runner up of match 2 move on to the Wildcard.

ONE of Colby/3rd place of match 2 makes it to the Wildcard.

Finally, winner of the wildcard joins Brad and Winner of Match 2 in the TOURNAMENT FINAL.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I didn't know FJ. 

But I had a good answer.  I would have written down Mrs. McKinley

I'm just not sure about this tournament.  I guess its OK.  Not thrilled about it. 

The set up just seems odd for one.  Basically for the Wild card game to determine the 3rd team in the finals, you are taking 3 of the 4 teams that did not win.  All but one team basically has a chance two chances to make the finals. 

It just seems a convoluted way to set it up. 

If each of those games is a 2 game/day events, there are 4 matches and 8 games/days to determine a winner among six teams

A much easier way and more straightforward way would have been just have 9 teams, the 3 winners advance to the finals with 2 day/game events and then a 2 day final.  Still 8 games/days.  Plus you get more people involved.  27 instead of 18. 

Is that too many?  I don't know.  Gives it more of a tournament feel though than this.  You'd have once chance to make the finals whereas this wake basically every team but one has two chances to make the finals, which doesn't seem like much of an "all star" quality

• Love 1

I just caught up on the three tournament shows and also this thread. I like the tournament! I think it's fun to see the old players, and am enjoying most of them.

On 2/21/2019 at 3:46 PM, Katy M said:

I feel like Arthur Chu is almost universally disliked.  While Buzzy and Austin have their fans. 

I also kind of got the vibe that Alex himself wasn't all that crazy about him.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:16 PM, peeayebee said:

Nah, I'm good. 😄

I didn't care for Arthur Chu when he was on, but I changed my mind about him after reading articles and tweets he had written. 

Yeah, I liked Arthur on the show, and really liked him after reading his work later! Bummer he didn't want to do this, but I bet the internet hate has finally slowed down for him and he didn't want to start it back up again.

18 hours ago, SHD said:

Because he's a weirdo, is my answer! That's just an odd dude with odd ways.

In short, go Julia.

• Love 1

Last night, I got allergy/gallery (I love anagram puzzles) and One Life to Live.  I was always an ABC soaps girl, way back to the days of Ryan's Hope.  I'm old.

No clue for FJ.  After the answer was revealed, I thought of the movie Reds.  Turns out Maureen Stapleton played Goldman in the movie.  Useless information stuck in my head that I wasn't able to access in time.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, lb60 said:

Last night, I got allergy/gallery (I love anagram puzzles) and One Life to Live.  I was always an ABC soaps girl, way back to the days of Ryan's Hope.  I'm old.

No clue for FJ.  After the answer was revealed, I thought of the movie Reds.  Turns out Maureen Stapleton played Goldman in the movie.  Useless information stuck in my head that I wasn't able to access in time.

I remember Ryan's Hope.

Being from Rochester, NY, I did think of Susie B. first for FJ, but then got Red Emma. She has Rochester connections, too.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Jesse said:

Because he's a weirdo, is my answer! That's just an odd dude with odd ways.

I find him witty and self deprecating. These made me LOL for real. (And I can identify with the "pale" thing.)

alex1.png.36f264e8633300fc2a80dfdee36b66e1.png

alex2.png.999cc9581e3f5170d9161d8131457ec7.png

Today all the ads on the right side of PTV's browser windows are gone, and the posts now go clear across the page. (At least I think they were ads, I never looked at them once.) Anyone else?

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Trey said:

But toward the bottom were links to other threads, maybe most recently posted to, or something like that. 

Those are still on my main "Jeopardy" page, three "most recent" posts. I don't pay attention to them since I don't know what threads they are for. Maybe if one has favorite shows picked (I don't) they relate to those? Just guessing.

6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe if one has favorite shows picked (I don't) they relate to those? Just guessing.

I just looked at them again. It appears to be just recent posts from any thread, not necessarily my "followed" shows - unless of course that has a recent post in it.

Edited by Trey
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 2/23/2019 at 3:39 PM, forumfish said:

I'm not going to go back and re-watch, so maybe one of y'all can shed some light on this --

When they showed the backstage strategy session before Friday's FJ, I thought one of the guys said something like "we're playing again tomorrow anyway" but it was the last day of the "two day total point affair" for that round. So why would he say that? Were the contestants as confused by the format as some of us?

I think that was just a moment when the illusion that each one is taped on a separate day was broken.  The finals are "tomorrow" for the players playing the first match--they are literally going to be playing the next day, in real time.  It's only for broadcast that it's a week away.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I find him witty and self deprecating. These made me LOL for real. (And I can identify with the "pale" thing.)

alex1.png.36f264e8633300fc2a80dfdee36b66e1.png

So which one is he in the photo?  I recognize a few of the contestants and know their names, but not all.  I don't see that any of the male players is any paler than all of the others. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

So which one is he in the photo?  I recognize a few of the contestants and know their names, but not all.  I don't see that any of the male players is any paler than all of the others. 

The way back, third from the right.

• Love 1
On ‎02‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:58 PM, illdoc said:

I always thought that the statue was named "Winged Victory", not "Nike". If so, she should not have been given credit for it.

It's a statue of Nike, the Greek goddess of victory.  Either is an acceptable answer.

On ‎02‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, PaulaO said:

FJ! was an instaget, due to reading the book Ragtime.

I tried reading Ragtime once, couldn't get into it, but far enough to have stumbled across Emma Goldman.  I also knew Josiah Wedgewood.

Brad chose his teammates very wisely.

• Love 1

ken.png.208a59e63a6be8ca02f31f9390977c29.png

1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

Alex & I need to have a pale-off. Pretty sure I'd win; I make Nicole Kidman look tan. 

You and me both. My joke is that in the summer, when I'm wearing shorts, I don't need a flashlight to go outside at night since the glow from my legs lights up the night. Only I'm not joking.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

You and me both. My joke is that in the summer, when I'm wearing shorts, I don't need a flashlight to go outside at night since the glow from my legs lights up the night. Only I'm not joking.

I might have to skip tonight.  I like Julia and have come to appreciate Ken more than I did when he was winning regular games, but Austin is unbearable, plus Roger and Matt are in this match as well.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I hear ya! I got my dad's Dutch/Irish complexion and not my mom's French/Spanish Creole. My older brother also, but my sister has pretty fair skin but will tan, and my younger brother is a light olive. Prince Harry & Meghan Markle are pretty much my parents 40 years ago, so I'm curious to see what their child/children will look like. 

Go Team Julia!

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Gotta love gingers (ahem).

Several of my friends growing up were always telling me how cute my dad was, and a former co-worker actually told me he was hot. I was like eww, that's my dad. None of my siblings or kids inherited his red hair (although I have a bunch of ginger cousins), but looks like my almost 2-year old niece just might. 

• Love 1

I decided to pass on the rest of this "tournament". I love Julia and hope she wins but I'm out until late next week. After his tweet storm last week I now think Ken Jennings is a bit of a dick. All the pre-game chattering I find phenomenally boring. So yeah... not watching. Enjoy the rest of it to those watching, and go Julia!

• Love 2