Type keyword(s) to search

The Jeopardy! All-Star Games

• Start Topic

My earliest memory is of my third birthday, picking out my new Irish Setter puppy from his litter.  Top that Eisenhower! 

Actually I got him right for FJ but missed the year.  It's the year thing that made it too hard and, as Alex once said, if all three get FJ, the question is too easy, and if all three miss it the question is too  hard.  That happened on Thursday and Friday and I think it's a big mistake on the writers' part.  So much is at stake and they're all making their wagers based on  the expectation of normal questions in the category.  A knowledge of chapter titles form a book is not a normal requirement for a Jeopardy literature question. Boo!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JudyObscure said:

as Alex once said, if all three get FJ, the question is too easy, and if all three miss it the question is too  hard. 

Much like a lot of what Alex says I think that’s a load of crap. What is and isn’t “easy” is based on people’s knowledge so depending on the contestants the exact same question could result in all of them getting it right or them all getting it wrong. We had three people watching Jeopardy on Friday all of us got the right answer instantly. We aren’t smarter than the contestants we just knew that fact.

• Love 3
On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 7:06 PM, Roaster said:

"Girl You'll be a Woman Soon" and "Son of a Preacher Man" - iconic in Pulp Fiction.  Surprised this was a missed DD.

I hated Pulp Fiction with the fire of a thousand burning nuns, so I imagine that I blocked out any songs which were in it.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 8:30 PM, saber5055 said:

"Hey Austin, what does it feel like to be proven you are NOT (even close to) the smartest guy in the room?"

It was worth watching this tournament just for that.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:38 PM, peeayebee said:

We had the World Book when I was a kid -- none of that fancy-schmancy Encyclopaedia Britannica for us! 

Us too.  And I got The Sheik -  a little surprised none of them knew it.

I sucked at FJ.  It's like they looked into my brain and picked the category I knew the least about.  Well, that and math.

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 10:29 PM, Bastet said:

I'm not sad saying good-bye to Buzzy, but I'd have loved to see Alex play in the finals.  Oh well.  At least no Austin!!

I agree on both counts.

• Love 2
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 7:46 AM, HelenBaby said:

! I love Ken but for some reason I didn’t have the confidence that he would last in the tournament. It’s always Ken & Brad. I never learn. 

Yep, one has won more games than anyone ever, by a lot; the other has won more money than anyone else, also by a lot, and has beaten Ken twice in head to head competition.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 10:04 AM, zoey1996 said:

I knew Hogmanay, but couldn't pull it out of my brain.

I almost didn't say it, but got it at the last second.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 2:20 PM, DrSpaceman said:

knew FJ and was shocked none of the contestants knew it.  All you had to do was go backwards over the presidents, and not too far, just back to the 50s. 

I tried that, but would've run out of time to write it down.

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 5:40 PM, 3 is enough said:

I was born in 1959 and I remember when Kennedy was assassinated.  My mother was watching a soap opera while ironing and Walter Cronkite interrupted with the news.    

I got FJ right, and also Hogmany.  

I was born in 1965, and can remember watching Neil Armstrong walk on the moon at just barely 4.  But presidents are a really weak category for me.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, junemeatcleaver said:

I know board skipping/Daily Double hunting is the new normal, but God has that and the changing contestants every round killed the momentum of this tournament.

I think "momentum" is the wrong word. These players are FLYING through the board with no clues left behind. I call that playing with tons of momentum. I can barely keep up and I'm just watching.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

It's interesting to read here how many remember their moms ironing. My mom taught me how to iron. Do present-day moms teach their children that skill now?

No. I was told by a young mom that nobody irons anymore.  I even take an iron with me on my Road Trips - the irons at the hotels can be nasty, y'know.

As for encyclopedias, my fourth-grade teacher sold World Book, which, even at 9 I thought was kind of tacky to try to sell to her students.  We had Collier's. It seemed everything you looked up in Collier's was "a small town in Kentucky."

• Love 2

It's interesting to read here how many remember their moms ironing. My mom taught me how to iron. Do present-day moms teach their children that skill now?

My mom didn't teach me. I hate ironing. Maybe that's why.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I hated Pulp Fiction with the fire of a thousand burning nuns, so I imagine that I blocked out any songs which were in I.  

Too funny!

I own an iron and an ironing board, but I can't remember the last time I used them.  Another farm story.  My dad's main crop was wheat, and Mom worked at her dad's grain elevator, so during harvest (mid-June to early July) they were very busy, so Mom had me do the housekeeping, including the ironing.  This was early 60's when nearly every piece of clothing, sheets, etc. had to be ironed.  I got really good at it, but did not like doing it at all.  My daughter knows how to iron, but I'll have to ask her if she'll teach her daughter how when she's old enough.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My mother taught me back in the day.  The first thing I learned to iron was the pillowcases.  Nowadays, I don't iron anything.  I own an iron, and I might even be able to find it if I had to, but I'm not sure where I'd iron, since I don't have an ironing board.

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

My daughters have informed me that if they need to "iron" something, they'll use their hair straightener.

I feel worse that I didn't manage to teach any of my kids how to sew, even a hem or a button, but apparently they just look it up on YouTube if they need it.

Edited by SoMuchTV
Typo of course
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I thought FJ was too easy today. I know it comes down to facts that you do or don’t know, but I’m easily the dumbest person playing the FJ contest in these forums and even I came up with the right answer.

I would’ve enjoyed this tournament much more if every show had been a complete game like today’s show.

• Love 4

I couldn't believe there were two TSs in a row, and I knew them both (529 and elite).

I enjoyed the Ken vs. Brad and Matt vs. Larissa match-ups.  All four are lightning fast and sharp as hell.

FJ was an instaget. 

• Love 5

FJ was an instaget for me tonight, too.  I also got 529 and elite.

Alex was perhaps unnecessarily snarky tonight with his comment about two teams having played well, but it was rather delightful watching Team Ken and Team Brad.  I admit, I couldn't even figure out what that computer DD clue meant, so good on Larissa for getting that one!

I can't say I've enjoyed this tournament exactly, but I haven't hated it, either.  However, I could go a long, long time without another one.

• Love 7

Lichtenstein was crazy easy for a DD in round one of the finals for this particular tournament.

Why did Ken get BMS on Catherine Keener but not on Alanis Morissette?  The clues in that category were a little poorly written.

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, SHD said:

I’m easily the dumbest person playing the FJ contest

I beg to differ. You should be glad I'm not allowed to play or I'd own that Low Score Trophy.

I've never heard of FJ so everyone feel free to point and laugh at Saber sitting in the corner wearing the FJ dunce cap.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Lichtenstein was crazy easy for a DD in round one of the finals for this particular tournament.

Why did Ken get BMS on Catherine Keener but not on Alanis Morissette?  The clues in that category were a little poorly written.

Alex told Ken that he couldn't let Ken make the same mistake twice.  Plus, I think Ken ran out of time before he could correct himself.

ETA: The Art of War was mentioned in an episode of Firefly, which is how I remembered it.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

I couldn't believe there were two TSs in a row, and I knew them both (529 and elite).

I didn't know the 529, but were they all too young for typewriters?  Oh, I feel old.  OK, I AM old.  Sigh.

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Because the category specifically said first and last name.  I think they gave him a BMS because it was the first round and the first question, but when they made the same mistake again, it was too bad so sad for him.  I agree with that logic.  Actually, if anything he shouldn't have gotten a BMS on the first one.  I think actually  he may have given the last name right when Alex was about to rule making it correct in time.

• Love 4
57 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

The only TS I got was "behind closed doors." 

Can anyone explain why Alex said that the Wood! category "should bring back memories" and why that got a big laugh? I know why a dirty minded 12 year old boy might laugh, but I don't think that's what Alex meant.

• LOL 3
On 3/2/2019 at 5:40 PM, 3 is enough said:

I was born in 1959 and I remember when Kennedy was assassinated.  My mother was watching a soap opera while ironing and Walter Cronkite interrupted with the news.    

I got FJ right, and also Hogmany.  

Same with my mom....so our moms were both ironing and watching "As the World Turns" at that very second... I was born in 1954, though.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I don't think so.  They make a lot of fabrics that don't require ironing, a lot of people don't care about being wrinkled, and people would rather pay for dry cleaning.  Both my mother and grandmother were champions, and eventually my mother trained my father..and he would do all the ironing in the house as "relaxation."  When my uncle went to corporate americal  strangers would see  his clothing and ask what dry cleaner he used, and it was my grandmother.  We were assigned ironing as punishment sometimes..like having to iron the sheets if we did something annoying.  I remember my mother ironing while watching Days of our Lives....

• Love 2

I'm not feeling sorry for any of the finalist be because they are all going to walk away with more money.  I did love the match ups today.  No way Colby thought he was going to compete with Brad and Ken...at first I thought Ken and Matt should have been in reverse, but Matt held his own. 

I actually don't mind the contestants .. in general there are only a few over the years that have annoyed me.  I can see how some the quirks would bother some people, but when they are on like when Matt is on, it is a thing of beauty...then again I was not annoyed by Arthur Chu like others.  

I can't say that I will be sad when this tournament is over....

• Love 2
(edited)

Count me in the class of born in 1959 (December but it still counts).  I don't remember the moment of the Kennedy assassination itself but have clear memories of the funeral coverage and my parents being very solemn (after having supported Eisenhower in 1952, they had become Democrats and my dad was a delegate to the AFLCIO convention where JFK spoke about a week before his death).

Mother Grundoon taught me to iron but she also taught me to read the words permanent press at an early age.

I too am fond of Alan but can't root for team Colby.  

Given that Larissa knew about one of my favorite plays The Norman Conquests, I may have to root for team Brad. 

Edited by Grundoon59
Grammatical error
  • Love 1

Me during FJ: "It probably has something to do with war."  I'm a dumbass!

I also came up with 5, for 529.  Not the 29, just the 5.  lol

Looks like it's going to be another winning week for me.

On the plus side, I'm a kickass ironer.  

iron oops GIF

• LOL 4
55 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

It's interesting to read here how many remember their moms ironing. My mom taught me how to iron. Do present-day moms teach their children that skill now

My daughter took a portable steamer to college bc there was no room in the dorm for an ironing board. Now she has graduated and has an apartment, but she loves the steamer and prefers it to ironing, and still has no ironing board!

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Can anyone explain why Alex said that the Wood! category "should bring back memories" and why that got a big laugh? I know why a dirty minded 12 year old boy might laugh, but I don't think that's what Alex meant.

I was wondering about that myself. I still am.

The only TS I got was elite. Instead of Tuesday I said Wednesday.

FJ was easy (if you know it... duh).

If the first laundering reveals that a shirt needs to be ironed in order to look presentable, I promptly donate that shirt.

What a good game (except for that ridiculous Liechtenstein DD, and FJ being a bit too easy for a championship game).  I think 529 was the only TS that surprised me.  Maybe elite, too (I couldn't spit that one out, either).  Oh, and that no one even guessed divisions (that was my second guess, and I've already forgotten what my first one was).

I'm looking forward to tomorrow - but I'm also looking forward to the pace of answering getting back to normal so that I have a chance to "ring in" more.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Same with my mom....so our moms were both ironing and watching "As the World Turns" at that very second... I was born in 1954, though.

I knew it was either "As the World Turns" or "Guiding Light".  I think they were only half hour shows back then.

In another coincidence, my name just happens to be Kim (only one m, though) 😉

My daughter is 30 and does not own an iron.  She calls me the "laundry whisperer" and I get random texts asking me questions about her laundry.  The other thing I have noticed about millennials is that they don't know how to polish their shoes...

Good game tonight.  Wow, they are fast!

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

The other thing I have noticed about millennials is that they don't know how to polish their shoes... 

You polish Nikes? or Flip-flops?

I didn't understand why AT thought "WOOD!" would bring back memories, either.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I did not teach my daughter to iron. She’s almost 25 and getting along fine without that skill. 

Good game tonight, and although I tend to like a fair number of the unpopular contestants (Austin, Buzzy, Arthur), I dread every appearance of Colby. Well, not his appearance, just when he opens his mouth. 

• Love 1

TS I got were 529 & Tuesday. FJ was easy-peasy

I will mis the great players, but ready I'm ready to go back to regular games. But boy I love their efficiency & mad Jeopardy skillz!

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Do present-day moms teach their children that skill now?

Not this mom or my mom. Our housekeeper growing up did all the ironing and my au pair (funnily enough she is from The Netherlands -  shoutout to 2 of Monday's clues) finds ironing therapeutic, so I let her have at it. It's not much; mostly my daughters' school uniform blouses. My mom once asked me if I ironed our sheets & pillowcases, and I said, "you raised me, what do you think?" 😂

• Love 2

My mom was a terrible ironer.   I remember moving houses with her once when I was a kid and her going to buy an ironing board and an iron and my wondering why she would buy such things as I'd never seen her use them.     My dad could iron (and used that ironing board and iron... but she didn't buy them for him) and would periodically have me run upstairs and toss him down what I had come down wearing if I didn't pass his wrinkle test.  He did not teach me this skill.   I have ironed, once, or twice, in a hotel, as a novelty.  

My mom has perfected this thing where she hangs up things that need to be ironed when they are wet and she pulls on them at a specific stage in the drying process and this seems to work.  But both my parents mostly sent things to the cleaners.  It is only post retirement that this odd laundry manipulation started for her.  

I do not currently own an ironing board or an iron but periodically I think, "I should buy an iron.  It feels like it should be something I should own."  I have never followed through on this thought.

I thought final was too easy. IG for me.    I don't remember the question for which 529 was the answer but got elite.   

• Love 1

I own and use an ironing board and iron.  I got elite due to my love of typing on an IBM Correcting Selectric II with the changeable balls.  My favorite is Courier 12.  Lots of stumpers for me, including FJ!  

• Love 2

I was thrown by the Monopoly clue when Alex said Hasbro. My original Monopoly game,which I still have, says Parker Bros. So I waffled on the answer..

Turns out Parker Bros. is a subsidiary of Hasbro. According to Wiki, Hasbro acquired the rights to Monopoly in 1991 which is fairly recent considering the game originated during the depression. Parker Bros. should have been included in the clue.

I iron, and also got 529 and elite.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Why was Liechtenstein an easy answer? I didn't get it.

I did get elite right away, but I guess I didn't realize it died out with the typewriter. Is that true? Is it not present with today's fonts?

I’ll take “People I’ve Done @DougBenson’s Podcast With” for $800, Alex.

Love that!

Finally I got FJ in this tournament.

Also got softwood lumber and elite.

I learned to iron as a child, only flat things.  I own an iron and ironing board but prefer to use my steamer if anything needs de-wrinkling.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Do present-day moms teach their children that skill now?

I have two boys, 21 and 19, both college students.  Both were taught how to iron and both iron daily.  Their father is a fastidious "ironer", and I'm pretty good myself.  It's a lost art these days, sadly.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The only TS I got was elite. Instead of Tuesday I said Wednesday.

I said Thursday.  I did get elite, though.

4 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I got elite due to my love of typing on an IBM Correcting Selectric II with the changeable balls.

I learned to type on one of those.  (I'm older than that, but didn't take typing until community college.)

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I did get elite right away, but I guess I didn't realize it died out with the typewriter. Is that true? Is it not present with today's fonts?

As I remember, the font was the same, but Pica was 10 characters/inch and Elite was 12, so in essence, it was just a different font size.  Before I got a computer, I had a "word processor" that had interchangeable discs instead of balls. It had Pica, Elite, and Italic.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was in font mode for this question, not typewriter mode. So my thinking went through "six picas to an inch, 12 points to one pica," and I was desperately trying to dredge up the answer of "agate" when the real answer was revealed. Gah.

There is a font "Elite" available for computers, it resembles the American Typewriter font but with different kerning and so forth.

3 hours ago, Trey said:

Also got softwood lumber

There was a big hubbub a while back about import tariffs being put on Canadian softwood lumber and Canada replying by placing tariffs on American dairy imports (milk). Still, I said "pine." Double gah.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

There was a big hubbub a while back about import tariffs being put on Canadian softwood lumber and Canada replying by placing tariffs on American dairy imports (milk). Still, I said "pine." Double gah.

Softwood lumber dispute has been going on for years and years.  They might have given you "pine". Or not.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

As I remember, the font was the same, but Pica was 10 characters/inch and Elite was 12, so in essence, it was just a different font size.  Before I got a computer, I had a "word processor" that had interchangeable discs instead of balls. It had Pica, Elite, and Italic.

Ahhhh, memories. I was a word processing operator -- Wang (I loved my Wang. :D) -- and I remember those type discs. I think one was called Prestige Elite.

• Love 1

I didn’t see Melissa during her initial run. Was she always so...like she is now? With the dancing during FJ and the signaling device strangling? 

• Love 3
(edited)

I had a feeling Team Brad would win as soon as Larissa fell to him with the #6 Pick.She was the steal of the draft and a big reason Brad Rutter remaines unbeating in Jeopardy.

Edited by SuperCam1
  • Love 8