Type keyword(s) to search

Top Chef Canada - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The chefs put their culinary skills to the test when competing in a challenge revolving around the ever-versatile egg; and later, create Southern-style street food to serve to fans at a racetrack. Zane Caplansky and Pino Posteraro are guests at the judges' table.

(I'm not sure if Canadians don't know how to use apostrophes or if this is Chef's program called Start Your Engines, but that spelling is the official version.)

Discuss the show here.

If I was a female chef in Canada I would be SO embarrassed by this show's casting.  For the first few seasons, barely acknowledging female chefs exist in Canada. then exploiting the complaints to create a 50-50 gimmick, but casting massively shitty, incompetent female chefs.  Like...ones who have never eaten Chinese food. Ones who dump pots of salt into everything and consider it tasty.  Ones who call things other than juleps "julep".  Ones who make salad dishes for outside dishes on a hot day.  In other words... idiots.  Likely not very representative of actual talented female chefs in Canada.

If I was a female chef in Canada I would be SO embarrassed by this show's casting.  For the first few seasons, barely acknowledging female chefs exist in Canada. then exploiting the complaints to create a 50-50 gimmick, but casting massively shitty, incompetent female chefs.  Like...ones who have never eaten Chinese food. Ones who dump pots of salt into everything and consider it tasty.  Ones who call things other than juleps "julep".  Ones who make salad dishes for outside dishes on a hot day.  In other words... idiots.  Likely not very representative of actual talented female chefs in Canada.

What's really interesting is over on Chopped Canada, almost every female chef who made it to the final round has won and there were women on at least half the shows aired so far. 

(edited)

I agree, Lake Gal--these contestants are getting more annoying by the episode.  Rich appears to be a toolish dick.   Most of the women are blending together for me.  And a melon julep? WTF?  

Edited by gryphon

Way to go Rene.  You arrogantly told Lauren to stick with you, let you do your thing, and you'd get her through.  Like you were doing her a favour!  How'd that work out for you, then?  Dick!

I was really hoping that Vittorio would go.  It sounds like they had a lot of options for bad food this week.  But, to be fair, I thought the pairings were ridiculous. 

Typical TC misdirect in the editing of the judges' reactions.  I thought Vittorio was a goner.  I'm not usually a grassy knoll kinda guy, but I can't help but think that the producers encouraged that he be kept around in order to keep the creepy showmance alive.

Um, yeah, Top Chef Canada, how's that whole battle of the sexes thing working out for you?

Um, yeah, Top Chef Canada, how's that whole battle of the sexes thing working out for you?

Since they seem to have scoured the nation of Canada, which I'm certain has a great number of stupendously great female chefs, for a cast composed pretty much of pathetic losers (who have never had Chinese food, or who make salads for hot outdoor gatherings, or who shut up and let their loud immune partners make all of the decisions, or who use canned ingredients over fresh, etc.)... it almost seems like they must have WANTED something like this to happen.  Or they actually would have worked harder to FIND those great Canadian female chefs.

I was hoping Vittorio and Evelyn would have been gone.  Creepy Showmance indeed!  

They must have cast this season looking for drama.  The chefs usually aren't this clueless...or maybe they are and I haven't noticed?  Or I'm noticing more because most of the people are pretty annoying?  No idea.  I'm still watching for the food but I have yet to pick a "favorite." 

Vittorio was saved by his showmance with Evelyn.  The show wants their drama.

Rich should never be given immunity.  He acts like a jerk when he is safe and doesn't care.  Rene is just a sexist jerk and doesn't think any of the women should be there.  Of course Rene and Rich worked well together.  But I don't like giving any of the chefs immunity after a QF.  I think an advantage to the winner would make more sense.  When they feel safe they don't really care.  It is interesting how often the QF winner has one of the worst meals in the challenge. 

Does the phrase "Resident Judge" mean something different in Canada? (since we saw Lynn Crawford introduced with the ridiculous title, "Guest Resident Judge")?

It sucks that Rene's smug ass won.  I mean it did actually look good, but I'm sure he gloated about it off camera.  

And we got more proof that the women cast on this season were universally pathetic.  The only reason one of them didn't go was because Pierre was even more pathetic.

Edited by CuriousParker

Does the phrase "Resident Judge" mean something different in Canada? (since we saw Lynn Crawford introduced with the ridiculous title, "Guest Resident Judge")?

I think it just meant that she was taking Shereen's spot for this week.

I really liked Pierre, but he was in over his head this week. There's certainly no shame in going home on Restaurant Wars week when you've never worked in a restaurant! Although that beef dish did not look appetizing... yikes!

I would have liked to hear reviews of all the dishes in the quickfire, not just the bad ones. They didn't even say anything about the winning dish, did they?

In the elimination challenge, they only had praise for Jesse. Terry and Evelyn just made the top three by luck that everyone else was terrible.

I was surprised that they described Shelley's dish as a warm raw clam, since it was on ice at her station. I imagine it took a while between picking up all their canapes and actually eating them, but is that Shelley's fault? On cooking competition shows they usually pretend everything is fresh, even though for production reasons the food ends up sitting around a lot. Or so I've always thought... what do I know?

I would have liked to hear reviews of all the dishes in the quickfire, not just the bad ones. They didn't even say anything about the winning dish, did they?

In the elimination challenge, they only had praise for Jesse. Terry and Evelyn just made the top three by luck that everyone else was terrible.

I was surprised that they described Shelley's dish as a warm raw clam, since it was on ice at her station. I imagine it took a while between picking up all their canapes and actually eating them, but is that Shelley's fault? On cooking competition shows they usually pretend everything is fresh, even though for production reasons the food ends up sitting around a lot. Or so I've always thought... what do I know?

Yeah, but weren't they warned beforehand about food temp (although it definitely sounded dubbed, so it could be pure producers shenanigans).

But also, wasn't Shelley one of the idiots who previously made shitty decisions about what food to serve on a hot day in another challenge?  The clam didn't HAVE to be raw also.  She CHOSE that.

And again, another thematic repeat, we also heard about how many things Shelley hasn't tried before, despite her being... you know...50, and a chef.  I mean, for example, Johnny on the Street shouldn't be all that familiar with testicles as food (we had that horrified VO from her about them even if she didn't have to actually try with them).  A very experienced chef should be.  I mean unless I am mis-remembering, Shelley was one of those "I haven't really tried Asian food" idiots too.  Really, as a Chef I'm sure Shelley was great.  With you know... the same dozen or so dishes she has down pat, or something like that.   Oh, and as long as it's not a hot day, or something like that.  Or as long as she doesn't have to properly spice something.  Or clean the grit out of it if its raw.  Or cook it to the right doneness.  Whatever!

And it was great to see Hugh Atcheson come down like a ton of bricks on these idiots.  

Edited by Kromm

The Dairy Farmers of Canada were apparently very excited that Evelyn used a dairy product (mascarpone) in her dish, so she got an extra, previously unannounced, prize.  I wish she hadn't put lavender on one of her appetisers.  I think she may have won overall if not for that, because the lavender seemed to be the only complaint about two appetisers that were otherwise well received.  I don't understand the recent desire to put lavender on anything edible.  It sounds revolting to me.

Glad Shelley is finally gone.  She had a lot of big talk about how great she was, yet she made awful food and decisions and didn't appear to really know a lot about food in general.  It was pretty embarrassing at times.

The Dairy Farmers of Canada were apparently very excited that Evelyn used a dairy product (mascarpone) in her dish, so she got an extra, previously unannounced, prize.  I wish she hadn't put lavender on one of her appetisers.  I think she may have won overall if not for that, because the lavender seemed to be the only complaint about two appetisers that were otherwise well received.  I don't understand the recent desire to put lavender on anything edible.  It sounds revolting to me.

Glad Shelley is finally gone.  She had a lot of big talk about how great she was, yet she made awful food and decisions and didn't appear to really know a lot about food in general.  It was pretty embarrassing at times.

Being a woman, ANY woman, on this show seems to qualify as "pretty embarrassing".  The casting department should be ashamed of themselves, and the female viewing public of Canada (or really anyone who cares about accuracy and proper representation) should practically be going after those casting people with pitchforks and torches.

The special prize almost seems suspicious to me, like something the show can trot out after the fact to say "see, the women did okay on the show!  Really!"

It's bizarre how bad the women have been this season, especially when you look back and see some of the amazing female chefs they've had on the show in previous seasons.  It makes me wonder if there are things going on behind the scenes that put most women off applying for the show now.

It was really random how they came out with that prize for Evelyn.  It can't just be that she used dairy.  I'm pretty sure dairy has been used at some other point in the season!  You may be right that it was just so that the show could trot it out to say that a woman did accomplish something on the show this season.

Kids + Liquid Nitrogen desserts is always going to be a winner. Not that I'm complaining.

Frankly, I'm surprised they let the last female chef go; Rich, Renee, or Terry could justifiably been given the boot IMO. Then again, I can't remember now; who's idea was it to have a lunch without a protein? If that was her idea, then it would be hard to give it a pass. 

As is, I guess I'm semi rooting for either Jessie (Home province chef) or Terry (my name, and I like his attitude for the most part).

I think Jesse owned this night, and I believe it is his game to lose at this point.  I can't believe Evalynn made it this far to be honest.  The editing made it look like she took over the pairing with Rich so I would have to wonder if that was her decision. I do think the judges see some footage before the judging as well.  They made a point of showing her as being bossy and controlling of every move.  If that is the case, then she deserved to go if they were voted down.  They seem to want Rich on the show still though, as they keep bringing him back from the edge.  I thought Terry might go though for sure last night.  My final three would be Jesse, Rich and Terry, but that's because I think Renee and Vittorio come across as smug and a bit rude at times.

What was healthy about Rene and Vittorio's mac'n'cheese? It was just carbohydrates with fat. At least Evelyne tried to make it healthy by using wholemeal pasta (even if it did look pretty gross). 

I hate it when the judges ignore the supposed intent of the task. One of them basically said that it was less healthy, but who cares because the kids will eat it? That flies in direct opposition to the spirit of the challenge. I thought the whole idea was that it is challenging to get kids to eat healthy food. One of the reasons kids eat poorly is that it's much easier just to feed them processed rubbish like mac'n'cheese.

Another huge problem with such challenges is that they never define what "healthy" is supposed to mean. Is it supposed to be healthy for an overweight kid who is trying to lose weight, or for a kid who is skinny and doesn't eat enough? Again, the judge made a complaint about "no protein" (even though cheese is a protein) which she thought wouldn't suit her daughter. But nobody said the challenge was to feed her daughter.

Edited by In Pog Form

I was actually hoping that Rich would go home.  He was the one that kept saying his son doesn't eat protein so they didn't need it.  Plus in the past he should have gone home a couple times but was saved by having immunity.  I have to admit I was surprised they sent Evelyn home since she was the last female.  It seems like they realized they made a mistake casting female chefs and just wanted to get rid of them quickly so they could forget about it.

Wow, it was like there were never any women on this show at all!!!

The casting agent for this show needs to be fired.  And maybe blacklisted too.

Okay, show, you want them to create healthy food for kids, but then tell them that is has to feature processed-fat-in-a-jar Hellmann's mayo?  Seriously?  Probably one of the stupidest challenge they've had.  I am glad that Evelyn is gone, however, and I hope that Rich soon follows; that guy cannot take any kind of criticism.  And I find him quite passive aggressive.... he likes to criticise behind people's backs or complain about an idea after the fact, once it's too late.  That's just a bitch move!

The chefs bake cookies for Chef Duff Goldman; exploring molecular gastronomy.

I liked all five of them last night and would have liked to see any combination reach the finale.  I am glad Rich made it though, and also Terry.  I would have slightly preferred Jesse over Renee but all were great.

No!!!!  Jesse deserved to go through over Rene.  But I'm glad that douche Vittorio is gone.  Arrogant until the end!!

I really hope that Rene doesn't win.  Just what Canada needs to represent us - an arrogant, misogynistic pig.

• Love 1
(edited)

Well, those were some limp biscuits that they baked...

Boom! Chef slam!

And Jesse comparing the weird bearded guy's appearance to the Cookie Monster was highly insulting to the Cookie Monster...

Bam! Beard dissed!

Edited by In Pog Form

No!!!!  Jesse deserved to go through over Rene.  But I'm glad that douche Vittorio is gone.  Arrogant until the end!!

I loved his parting remark: “No matter what, I have no shame...”

That's not a good thing, Vittorio. Especially in your case. You really could use some humility.

• Love 1

A place to discuss particular episodes (that do not have specific episode threads), arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Please feel free to start new topics for characters, episodes, media mentions, actors, small talk, etc.

I am surprised that Rich crashed and burned on that one.  I would have thought being up north would have made him in his zone; instead he seemed to come unravelled and unfocused and not at his best even though he seemed at peace with it.  I really wanted Terry to win, however as the show progressed I liked Renee more and more.

I do think Rene was the best chef of the final 3.  I still wish Jesse had made the finale instead of Rich.  I did not think Rich deserved to be there.  He was very hit and miss throughout the season.  He would get stubborn at times and not care what others thought.

Watching Rene's happy reaction to his win made me smile.  I am OK with the result of the season. 

Who was that stupid woman who interrupted René explaining his dish by exclaiming "Is this what I think it is!?" Shut up! He's telling you what it is right now, you idiot!

I can't even stand René, but she can just go a long way away and never come back on TV again.

Only just saw this.

Ugh. That smug a-hole René won.  That ruined my night.

I am surprised that Rich crashed and burned on that one.  I would have thought being up north would have made him in his zone; instead he seemed to come unravelled and unfocused and not at his best even though he seemed at peace with it.  I really wanted Terry to win, however as the show progressed I liked Renee more and more.

Can't agree on René, but I do on Terry.  He had some of the same smug assholishness as the other two at one point, but overall it seemed a bit less.

Ugh, great.  Now Canada's best chef is a sexist, arrogant pig.  Most undeserving winner.  I really can't watch this show anymore.

I don't know if he was undeserving in the cooking sense.  Just in the "he seems to be a smug asshole who I'd prefer got taken down a peg" sense.

Actually even the best of the people on this season seemed pretty weak.

I'm watching season 1, episodes 1 & 2 on ESQTV. It's quite good. The contestants kind of blend in a bit, as usual early on when there are so many. I was really struck by the ones who had nothing to return home to after the show. The lack of women seemed a little shocking. The male judge---what'shisname?!?----is sexy & likeable. I'll have to Google him. His eyes don't sparkle like Tom Collichio's (sp?) but, hey, few people's do. The hostess is beautiful & well-spoken, but, honey, she's no Padma.

I watched! So glad this is back. It looks like it's going to be a fun season. So many of the contestants are people I really liked in their original seasons.

What a cruel elimination challenge, lol! I guess most of them pretty much redeemed themselves. 

Is this food critic guy giving up his anonymity an actual big deal? I'm not familiar with him, but I saw a story about him yesterday in an actual newspaper!

• Love 2

I was surprised how many of the chefs I remembered, since I haven't watched the series in years. I was planning to rewatch before the season started, only to see that the first episode had aired when I went to the alternative site to rewatch. 

Pig ears, sheesh, that's cruel. I don't know why she used them the first time, if it was a challenge of difficult cuts then this time seemed unfair. There isn't a lot you can do with pig ears, they are not fun or enjoyable to eat, they are dog treats. Snouts have cartilage but are not as bad as pig ears. She was at a disadvantage from the get go. 

So far, there doesn't seem to be a chef who is there to annoy and harass the others, and all seem to have cooking skills. That is probably, in part, because they've done it before so that initial rush didn't result in a brain freeze and panic. There also wasn't much question into who was going home, even though they tried to edit it like it was possible it was someone else. I'm really looking forward to this season. 

Would someone please tell me what days this is scheduled to air? Is it Sunday nights? 

• Love 2

Yes, Sunday at 11pm Atlantic on Food Network. I've seen quite a bit of advertising for it. The first episode aired on Global as a promotion, I guess.

That's true, @Christina, the pig ears seemed far more difficult than any other ingredient. But I think she did it to herself. She was eliminated in Restaurant Wars, so it wouldn't have been a forced ingredient.

• Love 1

I'm in the US so I hadn't seen any ads. It's easier to keep track of when I know which day it will air. Why would someone make something with pig ears in Restaurant Wars? She deserved both eliminations for that stupidity.

• Love 1
On 4/8/2017 at 9:25 AM, SirOsisOfLiver said:

On a completely shallow note, I miss host Lisa Ray. Whoever this new woman is, she has a voice that doesn't sit nicely in my ears.

Her name is Eden Grinshpan. Has done a lot of judging on Chopped Canada, Eden's Eats on the Cooking Channel and is a Cordon Bleu grad. I didn't know she was hosting this show, and it's the most I've ever seen her smile, she's always had a case of RBF as far as I was concerned, so I was pleasantly surprised.

• Love 2

As likable as Todd is, he deserved to go home. He completely ignored the challenge, and just made what he wanted. Plus, he kind of sassed the judges at panel both last week and this week, so I knew he was a goner, lol!

I love Nicole.

• Love 5