Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/24/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Onceafan said:

This hits a little too close to home for me, but please America stop saying that she was questioned by an all WHITE male committee, and Joy said it earlier this week as well. Ted Cruz is Latino. I understand that his complexion is lighter, but please do not erase a person's race, and call them white.

Sorry everyone for the rant, but it's a problem that hits close to home for me.

Latino is not a race. You can be born in Latin America, be Spanish speaker and still be White/Caucasian.  Yes,  Cruz is a white male who happens to have a Cuban parent who is white. 

Its an ongoing discussion among the Spanish speaking.  Some of us use the term Hispanic or Euro-hispanic.

Also, regarding the Jewish question...its a religion and culture. Interestingly enough, many Jews who are “Latino” identify as Jewish. 

Edited by hisbunkie
Trying to make things clearer.
  • Love 7
7 minutes ago, rollacoaster said:

Point taken, but, does Ted Cruz even identify as Latino? 

When it counts heeee. J/K!!  Hahaha. I know hes used it when theres national disasters and to help for aid.  So he does use it for good and not evil LOL

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

A lot of people are able to see both sides

1 hour ago, PeterBrady said:

It’s called being objective.

There have been lots of times that I believe something and then hear something from the other side that makes perfect sense. It may or may not make me change my mind but at least I can understand why they feel the way they do. 

• Love 9
On 9/26/2018 at 2:54 PM, General Days said:

At this point, I'm starting to think she's a mixed bag all right -- a mixed bag of nuts. She's been married for something like 20 years. Get over it, Sunny. And stop trying to make yourself look 25. It just highlights that you're not 25. 

I think shes trying to live up to that old stereotype of the hot fiery Latina, balls to the wall etc. But she doesnt have to.  I hope its not inadvertantly rubbing off on her daughter.  ....mixed bag of nuts... hehhehheh never gets old

• Love 6

Ted Cruz (and his ethnicity) are off topic. 

What is on topic? The show, the people on it, and what the people on the show said. 

Please return to the topic. 

2 hours ago, Marci said:

I think Joy Behar is an idiot.  Everything that comes out of her mouth is moronic.  Well, sometimes she’s funny.  But, she makes EVERYTHING about racism, as if she needs to prove she is not.   Methinks she doth protest too much.

I would say she is very partisan.  I like Joy, but she’s not objective.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Pretty good show for the most part.  Ricky is always good.  America is very  articulate. Whoopie needs to shut up a bit.

A lot of people are able to see both sides

The bane of the Libra(n) ?

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Tosia said:

Yes, Joy is unapologetically liberal on most issues.  I have no problem with her chutzpah and honesty.

Agreed.  I found it chilling today when she discussed the US going the way of South African apartheid.  I’ve definitely felt the fear/rage of the white soon-to-be minority, but I never thought about that as the logical conclusion of that mind set.  Frightening . . .

Edited by jalady
So I can agree with Whoopi and America: vote people!
  • Love 6
49 minutes ago, Orillia said:

There have been lots of times that I believe something and then hear something from the other side that makes perfect sense. It may or may not make me change my mind but at least I can understand why they feel the way they do. 

That sounds like me with a lot of posts here. I "like" a post and then come across an opposing view and "like" that one as well. Then I think "should I go back and unlike that other one? Do people notice that? Nah, I'll leave it. But, wait ..."

LOL

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, jalady said:

Agreed.  I found it chilling today when she discussed the US going the way of South African apartheid.  I’ve definitely felt the fear/rage of the white soon-to-be minority, but I never thought about that as the logical conclusion of that mind set.  Frightening . . .

Didn't see the show today, hoping I find that clip. I'm pushing 70 so, from what I've read, if I live long enough I may see some of the population tip. I hear you regarding the rage; it freaks me even tho I understand that it's based in fear. Maybe that's why it freaks me. Gotta go with the flow, people. It reminds me of what my dad said every year about winter: "It's coming, whether you're ready for it or not." Anyway, looking forward to hearing what Joy said. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SrOfficial said:

I would say she is very partisan.  I like Joy, but she’s not objective.  

It was funny when she told Joe Scarborough that she was a moderate and he said “Yeah right” and she  clarified by saying a moderate Democrat. Joy is a lot of things, but moderate Democrat is not one of them. She really is unaware of how partisan she actually is. 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I wonder if Abby feels like she has to spout party lines

I really feel like someone behind the scenes is encouraging one/both to be "the Republican" to create sparks. Because they either are innately able to argue the same  contradictory things, or they are being coached to.

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

It was funny when she told Joe Scarborough that she was a moderate and he said “Yeah right” and she  clarified by saying a moderate Democrat.

I see where Joy is coming from. I'm considered the crazy liberal in my family, but I am far more centrist than most of my friends. I took a Pew survey, and it turns out I'm about as liberal as Bill Clinton, and to the right of Barack Obama. I think how liberal or conservative a person is judged to be is taken by the opposing view of the person doing the judging.

• Love 14

I am very, very happy that Meghan is still on bereavement leave.  I cannot imagine how she would have reacted to the Senate Judciary Committee hearings and the talk at the table today (well, maybe I can, LOL!).  I think her not being there is as much for our benefit and sanity as it is for her!  :-)  I, for one, am thankful that she was not there today, because I probably would have thrown something at her image on my TV!  

• Love 24
1 hour ago, suomi said:

That sounds like me with a lot of posts here. I "like" a post and then come across an opposing view and "like" that one as well. Then I think "should I go back and unlike that other one? Do people notice that? Nah, I'll leave it. But, wait ..."

LOL

The worst is when there's a post that makes several points. Sometimes I totally agree with 2 of them but couldn't disagree more with the third. It's a real dilemma. To like or not to like .. ... that is the question. I guess that in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter but it is something I think about. You're " but, wait..."  cracks me right up.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, PeterBrady said:

It’s called being objective. Most of the panel is very partisan. Why should she be required to pick a side?

She wasn't being objective, she was being sympathetic. There's a difference. Abby was drawn to Ford because of HER experience and trauma, she was only drawn to Kavanaugh because he constantly mentioned how much the allegations affected his parents, wife and children. Abby has always been sympathetic to that particular issue when it came to the allegations - it was what his family had to go through, not specifically what he had to go through. And besides that, Abby is quite partisan on many issues and there's nothing wrong with that because the show's concept is not about being non-partisan on issues, it's about sharing honest perspectives on various topics regardless of what side of the fence you fall on. It's why Sunny can believe victims of assault like many leftists but still be anti-abortion like many rightists. It's why Whoopi talks a lot about racism like many on the left are accused of doing but isn't so quick to label everything racist which is similar to what many on the right would say. Joy is probably the most consistent on the panel in that I think she almost always falls left in her ideology but even her views on political correctness fall more on the right because of her experience as a comedian.

I'm liking the 4 panel set up and I do think that Abby's personality fits in better with the ladies and as an interviewer with the various guests that come on the show. The only time Meghan's demeanour in interviews ever seems genuine and pleasant, like Abby's is when the guest is some pop culture related person like the Jersey Shore cast or someone from a Bravo show. 

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 14
11 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

And the same could be said of Meghan.   The show is called the View.  The hosts are paid to give their views.

And Abby, imo. All she's done so far is spew the party line, albeit less OTT and toxic than Meh-gun. Her comments about Kavanaugh last week and this week are similar to her approach to slutshaming Stormy Daniels a couple of weeks back. When they first talked about the story, she was rabid and attacked Sunny for giving her personal opinion that she believes Ford (as if one can't be a lawyer and also have a personal opinion outside the facts of a story). This week, she decided that approach didn't sell her talking points very well on top of other accusers coming out of the woodwork making her defense of a sexual predator more untenable and reprehensible, and instead trotted out the "I feel so sorry for him and his family!" just like she asked us all to feel sorry for Melania and Barron during the Stormy interview. No mention of feeling sorry for the victim's family who had to relocate because of death threats.

Ultimately, I don't think she sees both sides, but she does say the phrase "both sides" quite a lot because it's self-serving for her to attempt to equalize Democrats with the lows her own party's descended to these days. Foxbot is as Foxbot does.

• Love 15

At the end of Friday's ep, they showed the clip from Murphy Brown, where Miles laments about his two years as a producer on The View, and how he couldn't stand the gossip and back stabbing.  The ladies discussed that, complaining in a way about being characterized as back stabbing, with Whoopi saying there is no back stabbing and then Joy contradicting her by saying, not anymore.  Then Whoopi says there has been none since her tenure.  BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING THE STABBING, WHOOPI!

• Love 15

FWIW, Joy was there during the year Barbara fired Star Jones and Star got in front of it and announced she was quitting, and the year Rosie and Elisabeth had the first and only split-screen in the show's history. 

Sunny was GREAT during the Kavanaugh discussion, and it's why it's important that this cast never consists of all entertainers. She is a prosecutor who knows what she's talking about. Whoopi has been off-and-on this week, but as a Minnesotan I'm glad she brought up how boorish Kavanaugh was to Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), going so far as to read the transcript verbatim.

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, JakeyJokes said:

FWIW, Joy was there during the year Barbara fired Star Jones and Star got in front of it and announced she was quitting, and the year Rosie and Elisabeth had the first and only split-screen in the show's history. 

Sunny was GREAT during the Kavanaugh discussion, and it's why it's important that this cast never consists of all entertainers. She is a prosecutor who knows what she's talking about. Whoopi has been off-and-on this week, but as a Minnesotan I'm glad she brought up how boorish Kavanaugh was to Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), going so far as to read the transcript verbatim.

Yes, I agree, Joy was around for a lot of the back-stabbing, but it is disingenuous for Whoopi to say there has been none in the last 10 years!

I wish they had played the clip of Klobuchar rather than having Whoopi garble it. It was amazing to watch.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, JakeyJokes said:

I'm glad she brought up how boorish Kavanaugh was to Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), going so far as to read the transcript verbatim.

I wish she would have had a two-person "read."   It would have been more effective...especially for those who didn't watch it happen (the jerk*).  Would would he do in court if someone snapped back at him with a question?

*Kavanaugh

3 hours ago, bannana said:

I wish they had played the clip of Klobuchar rather than having Whoopi garble it. It was amazing to watch.

Sorry, Bannana, I was reading posts from the bottom up and didn't see yours.  OF COURSE, seeing the clip would have been so much better.  The jackass.*

*Kava-naw

Edited by Former Nun
typo
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, bannana said:

At the end of Friday's ep, they showed the clip from Murphy Brown, where Miles laments about his two years as a producer on The View, and how he couldn't stand the gossip and back stabbing.  The ladies discussed that, complaining in a way about being characterized as back stabbing, with Whoopi saying there is no back stabbing and then Joy contradicting her by saying, not anymore.  Then Whoopi says there has been none since her tenure.  BECAUSE YOU ARE DOING THE STABBING, WHOOPI!

I was hoping that they would have a sense of humor about it.  Two comedians on the panel!  Come on!!

• Love 9
On 9/28/2018 at 2:46 PM, Tammee said:

Thats pretty interesting @Apprentice79i always like to learn of the world.  But you stirred up a question i asked as a kid and never really could wrap my head around.  Ok forgive me everyone lol.  Ok, if youre Black/AA, thats considered race.  But the ppl who are Jewish, thats a religion, no?  Judaism.  But i wouldnt necessarily consider it a race?  Is Christianity consider a race?  No, a religion.  Back to the Black/AA, they could also be Christian or Muslim as well!  So thats race and religion.  How do you wrap your mind around it all.  But I like to read socio stats like that, fasciniating.

There are only 3  5 races on the planet - (Used to be 3 races then 4 and now 5 - thank you genome project)

Caucasoid (White) race.

Negroid (Black) race.

Capoid (Bushmen/Hottentots) race.

Mongoloid (Oriental/ Amerindian) race.

Australoid (Australian Aborigine and Papuan) race

Each race can be further divided into ethnic categories.  How many people realize that homo sapiens absorbed neanderthals and also Denisovans?  We have proof that those 3 hominids lived and mated.  Sorry, I am an armchair anthropologist.

I just stopped by to say that I loved when Kristen Bell told Sunny that her jealousy was her own insecurities.  Hurray!  Everyone agreed with her too.  I like Sunny but there are just a couple of points, jealousy being one of them, that are just off about her.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I like Sunny but there are just a couple of points, jealousy being one of them, that are just off about her.

...I agree, but find more than "just a couple."   Still, any replacement could be worse as we've learned over the years.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, jumper sage said:

How many people realize that homo sapiens absorbed neanderthals and also Denisovans?

Me! Me! According to my DNA, I have higher amounts of Neanderthal DNA than most people do. Makes sense since my ancestors lived for centuries near the Neader Valley.

Oh, topic? I would love to see guest hosts. Not someone they spend half the show slobbering over, but someone who will brighten up that table. It lacks "sparks." Even when Sara was on maternity leave, they filled in for her. I'm thinking it's necessary.

• Love 5
On 9/29/2018 at 1:23 PM, JakeyJokes said:

go to 1:08:00 if you want to know backstabbing on The View during Whoopi's time.

Also I agree Sunny should stay on the panel because she isn't an entertainer so we can get a real legal stand point on these issues like Kavanaugh.  She's be on fire lately!  

• Love 3