Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/24/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

3 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I don't like to doubt people's virginity. But it seems like unless there's a religious reason behind it, most tend to get into that lifestyle during college especially if you are a hard drinker. A former girlfriend of Kavanaugh can come out and say that they had sex and now that blows this claim out of the water. Or he might be those 'technical' virgins who believe that you can do anything expect vaginal sex.

What does having had sex before have to do with rape. Rape is not about sexual desire, it is about power.  It seemed to me all that talk about being a virgin was to appeal to the right wing evangelical base on Fox News. I would have had more respect for Kavanaugh if he had gone on a network Tv to defend himself. He wants to appeal to a small subset of the population and nobody else.

• Love 24
1 minute ago, CheezyXpressed said:

Apparently, like Abby, Joe and Mika said that 'what's the point' when it comes to a FBI investigation on their show before. Now they're changing their tune on the View. I guess once there's a second victim, people's views start to change.

I don't know what J&M said on their show but maybe they meant what's the point since it won't change the minds of the senators anyway?

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

What does having had sex before have to do with rape. Rape is not about sexual desire, it is about power.  It seemed to me all that talk about being a virgin was to appeal to the right wing evangelical base on Fox News. I would have had more respect for Kavanaugh if he had gone on a network Tv to defend himself. He wants to appeal to a small subset of the population and nobody else.

I'm assuming, based on the clip we were shown on the View, he's claiming to be a virgin and thus incapable of raping anyone. Rape = having sex, which he's never done during that time so it's impossible. It's a really odd stance to take, because this could easily be dismantled and when you're a hard drinker then it's even harder to make this claim.

But like you said, rape isn't having sex it's about abuse of power so him making this claim makes him look worse than before. At least it should.

4 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I don't know what J&M said on their show but maybe they meant what's the point since it won't change the minds of the senators anyway?

I'm reading tweets now and it seems like they were doubting Dr. Ford and questioning her motives when she first came out.

Edited by CheezyXpressed
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I'm assuming, based on the clip we were shown on the View, he's claiming to be a virgin and thus incapable of raping anyone. Rape = having sex, which he's never done during that time so it's impossible. 

But this isn't true and has nothing to do with Dr Ford's claim. 

• Love 7

I might have to go to an optometrist with all of the heavy eye rolling that I did today! Hearing Whoopi talk about the Kavanaugh today, I just can't with her! I just really wish she would sit there quietly and not talk about it, because I sure haven't forgotten back in 2015 after Bill Cosby had been accused by multiple women her thoughts on that! 

"you not like what I said is going to change the fact that no one has convicted him, he has not been arrested,” said Goldberg, who said the threats came after she discussed the matter Tuesday on The View."

“He has not been proven a rapist.”

“The bottom line is, that’s the law,” she added. “Innocent until proven guilty.”

"Here’s the bottom line, for me: It’s my opinion. And the American courts agree with me, because still he has not been taken to jail or trial on anything. So, back off me!”

And I don't forget when they talked about having Cosby's wife testify Whoopi suggested that it was something the prosecution wanted to do, "Just to embarrass her."

And when Rosie O donnell, talked about it, and stated something to the fact of "What you think these women just woke up one day, and decided yeah, I'm just going to accuse Bill Cosby,"

Whoopi responded with "maybe" and something to the effect that they could be financially motivated.

So when she talks about Kavanaugh, I just roll my eyes, cause what happened to all of her thoughts and opinions that she expressed like above!

What a hypocrite!

• Love 20
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

An FBI investigation would solve nothing. If the results of the investigation were to vindicate Kavanaugh then Democrats wouldn’t accept and if the investigation found Kavanaugh guilty of wrongdoing then the Republicans would say it’s some sort of conspiracy. People believe what they want to believe or not believe and virtually nothing is going to change that.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I found it interesting that ABC showed "The View" today, while my local NBC & CBS channels showed Trump giving his speech at the United Nations.  I guess ABC decided the ladies of The View were more important than 45 :)

I noticed this, too. I was expecting the show to be interrupted and I'd have to search online for clips. Thankfully, it wasn't.

That said, today was a boring show since I didn't care about the guests and they ate up most of the show. And even the second "hot topics" discussion was all fluff.

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

She kind of blows like the wind, doesn't she?, agreeing with whoever spoke last. I can't tell day to day what her position is on issues. 

Maybe this is why she's Meh-gun's "best friend." She's easily intimidated and will fall in line to avoid the hateful response she'd get from Meh-gun otherwise. In a way, I hope her being there a month without Meh-gun's presence will bring her closer to the other ladies and gum up what I'm guessing are Meh-gun's "plans" to tag team the table with screaming fits.

• Love 4

So now the Huntsmans are going to be the white rich politically connected family we hear about every day.  Morning Joe reveres Abby's dad and says he should be President. As for the story Abby told about her mom flying 10 hours in leather pants and high heels, that is not cute, that is just stupid.

When they were talking about the Kavanaugh interview, they should have shown the question posed to his wife, which he didn't allow her to answer.

Abby introduced the clip saying:  Cookie and Luscious, but not pronounced Looshuss.  After clip she repeated the names to get it correct.  You just know that Whoopi corrected her with a big eye roll while the clip was playing.

I don't watch Morning Joe but I really don't like Mika and Joe.  They seem to have no chemistry to me.  But I do like that now, at last, they are anti-Trump.

• Love 4

Joe and Mika nauseate me on their morning show, but I found them tolerable on today's show.  Mika is totally malleable with respect to her opinions, but I'm positive she doesn't "know her value", which contributes to that.  But I think she and Joe really love each other.  And I'm okay with that. 

• Love 3

The panel is still tone deaf when talking about Brett Kavanaugh. I think they’re trying to do the whole sisterhood thing by playing dumber than they are, especially Sunny.

Sunny said she finds it funny that Kavanaugh would sit for FOX interview but not an FBI interview. Even if the claim was totally true, the FBI has no jurisdiction to investigate it as a criminal matter. Neither the FBI nor the local police are going to investigate a crime where the statute of limitations have long past. Finally, they would need a specific complaint with the witness admitting to certain facts for them to investigate anything. 

Of course, all of that is academic because Sunny, among others, keep acting like the FBI can’t investigate because Kavanaugh or Senate Republicans won’t let them. The FBI has zero interest in investigating this case and they have basically said as much.

Also, Joy asked what would Dr. Ford have to gain by making this kind of accusation. As if we live in a world where people only attain wealth and game by doing good things. But she mentioned Anita Hill. Uh, I’d advise anybody to go Google what Anita Hill has been up since the Clarence Thomas thing. Not exactly a leper. I’m not saying Dr. Ford is just saying this for notoriety, but let’s not kid ourselves. I’m sure she’s going to be fielding several lucrative book deals, speaking engagements, and teaching gigs in the wake of this.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, bannana said:

So now the Huntsmans are going to be the white rich politically connected family we hear about every day.  Morning Joe reveres Abby's dad and says he should be President. As for the story Abby told about her mom flying 10 hours in leather pants and high heels, that is not cute, that is just stupid.

When they were talking about the Kavanaugh interview, they should have shown the question posed to his wife, which he didn't allow her to answer.

Abby introduced the clip saying:  Cookie and Luscious, but not pronounced Looshuss.  After clip she repeated the names to get it correct.  You just know that Whoopi corrected her with a big eye roll while the clip was playing.

I don't watch Morning Joe but I really don't like Mika and Joe.  They seem to have no chemistry to me.  But I do like that now, at last, they are anti-Trump.

Thanks for mentioning that dumb story Abby told about her Mother & how sexy she is, flying in her tight leather pants & hair & make-up done so she could have "lunch" with her husband....oh good grief, I was rolling my eyes.  I am a Grandma and try to look good, but I am not flying 10 hours in tight pants and full make-up so I can look 'sexy".  And then telling the story about her sister leaving home for 3 days after being traumitzied by seeing her parents in bed together...who would tell such a story?!  It was embarrassing.

• Love 18

What amazes me is that "they" barely allude to the fact that millions of American women will be impacted negatively when they lose their access to family planning, birth control pills, mammograms, abortion & other women-centric services that are necessary for women to thrive.  Dr. Ford is trying to ensure that doesn't happen, but some people are so busy digging for an ulterior motive, they can't see the forest for the trees.  Just sayin'.

http://www.may28.org/why-we-need-a-women-centric-approach-to-womens-health/

• Love 20
15 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

It seemed to me all that talk about being a virgin was to appeal to the right wing evangelical base on Fox News.

It was laughable.  His shepherd led him to the interview and coached him on what would be asked...and how to answer ("and remember Brett, don't let the little woman interrupt.")  There are criminal cases that proved some men cannot complete the act of intercourse unless they're engaged in something violent.  Perhaps many of those criminals remained virgins well into their 20s too. 

Edited by Former Nun
added the little woman stuff
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, bannana said:

As for the story Abby told about her mom flying 10 hours in leather pants and high heels, that is not cute, that is just stupid.

Suppose her tight leather pants substitute for compression stockings?   Deep Vein Thrombosis:

Sitting for extended periods of time in cramped airplane seats may slow blood circulation and increase your risk for DVT. Prolonged inactivity and dry cabin air seem to contribute to the risk.  While there’s some debate as to the connection, some studies have found evidence that the prevalence of DVT within 48 hours of flying on a plane is 2 to 10 percent. That’s the same rate that people in hospitals develop DVT.  The risk, however, varies greatly among passengers. In general, the longer the flight, the higher the risk. Flights lasting more than eight hours are thought to pose the most risk.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

What amazes me is that "they" barely allude to the fact that millions of American women will be impacted negatively when they lose their access to family planning, birth control pills, mammograms, abortion & other women-centric services that are necessary for women to thrive.  Dr. Ford is trying to ensure that doesn't happen, but some people are so busy digging for an ulterior motive, they can't see the forest for the trees.

I'm sorry, I might be misinterpreting what you are saying, but in reading this, I took it as you saying that Dr. Ford is trying to ensure that doesn't happen, by keeping a conservative off of the Supreme Court, so that Women's healthcare is not negatively impacted.

I do not think Dr. Ford is trying to ensure that doesn't happen. I do not believe that her motives are in anyway political.  I think to suggest that she is trying to ensure that this doesn't happen, is to say that she does have an ulterior motive for accusing Kavanaugh.

(Again sorry if I misunderstood your meaning, I just wanted to say my two cents on it.)

• Love 3
18 hours ago, 27bored said:

The panel is still tone deaf when talking about Brett Kavanaugh. I think they’re trying to do the whole sisterhood thing by playing dumber than they are, especially Sunny.

Sunny said she finds it funny that Kavanaugh would sit for FOX interview but not an FBI interview. Even if the claim was totally true, the FBI has no jurisdiction to investigate it as a criminal matter. Neither the FBI nor the local police are going to investigate a crime where the statute of limitations have long past. Finally, they would need a specific complaint with the witness admitting to certain facts for them to investigate anything. 

Of course, all of that is academic because Sunny, among others, keep acting like the FBI can’t investigate because Kavanaugh or Senate Republicans won’t let them. The FBI has zero interest in investigating this case and they have basically said as much.

Also, Joy asked what would Dr. Ford have to gain by making this kind of accusation. As if we live in a world where people only attain wealth and game by doing good things. But she mentioned Anita Hill. Uh, I’d advise anybody to go Google what Anita Hill has been up since the Clarence Thomas thing. Not exactly a leper. I’m not saying Dr. Ford is just saying this for notoriety, but let’s not kid ourselves. I’m sure she’s going to be fielding several lucrative book deals, speaking engagements, and teaching gigs in the wake of this.

Sunny has never claimed that the FBI should investigate the assault as a criminal case. She has always advocated for an investigation as it relates to Kavanaugh's file because it carries implications to his fitness to serve as a lifelong appointee as a Supreme Court judge. It's unfair to misrepresent what she's saying in a way that suggests that she's completely disregarding the realities of the law when the law is her bread and butter. She has always provided a basis for her opinions on legal matters and has always been thoughtful to discussions where she is required to put on her lawyer hat and speak.

The FBI cannot singularly decide to investigate the accusation because it falls outside of their mandate which is specific to national security and organized crime. Ford's accusations do not implicate Kavanaugh in either of those things and therefore, there is no authority for the FBI to investigate on its own accord. So Sunny is absolutely correct that an investigation isn't happening because the President and his Republican constituents on the judiciary committee don't want an investigation to take place.

• Love 17
37 minutes ago, Onceafan said:

I'm sorry, I might be misinterpreting what you are saying, but in reading this, I took it as you saying that Dr. Ford is trying to ensure that doesn't happen, by keeping a conservative off of the Supreme Court, so that Women's healthcare is not negatively impacted.

I do not think Dr. Ford is trying to ensure that doesn't happen. I do not believe that her motives are in anyway political.  I think to suggest that she is trying to ensure that this doesn't happen, is to say that she does have an ulterior motive for accusing Kavanaugh.

(Again sorry if I misunderstood your meaning, I just wanted to say my two cents on it.)

I think Dr. Ford had knowledge that Kavanaugh was unfit to serve on the Supreme Court and that is why she came forward.

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I'm still confused. Is Michael Avenatti's client saying that this happened to her, or that she just witnessed bad behaviour?

I don't know.  I got the impression that he was so anxious to get himself more air time that he wasn't really prepared for questions.

• Love 2

I feel like the View and the media are only focusing on the UN laughing at Trump and not about what he said. What he actually said is dangerous and if the other World Leaders are smart, they'd start making deals and not include the US. It's already happening and it's going to get worse. Even with regards to the Iran deal, other countries are working with Iran instead. But laughing makes better headlines...I guess?

• Love 15
1 minute ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I feel like the View and the media are only focusing on the UN laughing at Trump and not about what he said. What he actually said is dangerous and if the other World Leaders are smart, they'd start making deals and not include the US. It's already happening and it's going to get worse. Even with regards to the Iran deal, other countries are working with Iran instead. But laughing makes better headlines...I guess?

I don't want to get too off topic but I think the media is mostly focusing on him getting laughed at because 1) when has that ever happened? and 2) as usual, there's always a tweet or a clip of Trump contradicting himself. They didn't show the tweet on The View but in it he says, "we need a President who isn't a laughing stock to the entire world." So it's ironic, hilarious and sad that we now have a clip of Trump getting laughed at in front of the entire world.

But I agree, it's dangerous rhetoric. He's constantly in campaign mode.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I don't want to get too off topic but I think the media is mostly focusing on him getting laughed at because 1) when has that ever happened? and 2) as usual, there's always a tweet or a clip of Trump contradicting himself. They didn't show the tweet on The View but in it he says, "we need a President who isn't a laughing stock to the entire world." So it's ironic, hilarious and sad that we now have a clip of Trump getting laughed at in front of the entire world.

But I agree, it's dangerous rhetoric. He's constantly in campaign mode.

I focus on the laughter because it is schadenfreude! I remember him saying that a certain President made us a laughing stock around the world. 

Abby was once again questioning derisively why the latest Kavanaugh accuser took so long to speak out, Joy groaned...

Avenatti has the receipts. He is not playing.  

Whoopie was trying to whitewash her history of defending Cosby.  She was incoherent and disingenuous.

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 22

I had the tv on ABC and didn't turn the channel. By the time I came back into the room, the View was on. So, for the first time in many months, I watched a little (glad I heard Avenatti). My point, however, is that Whoopie Goldberg is a clueless idiot. Easy for her to tell assault victims to come forward. She has zero understanding of what the culture was like -- up until only a few months ago -- and how women were victims twice -- during the physical assault and, then, after, during their character assault by a patriarchal society.

STFU, Whoopie

Sorry if I'm saying anything that's already been said.  I posted before having read other posts. I'll go back and read them now. 

47 minutes ago, Bronzedog said:

I don't know.  I got the impression that he was so anxious to get himself more air time that he wasn't really prepared for questions.

Both. From what I've read, she witnessed and was a victim of gang rape.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry. I meant to answer 

@CHEEZYXPRESSED

"I'm still confused. Is Michael Avenatti's client saying that this happened to her, or that she just witnessed bad behaviour?"

Edited by AdeleDazeem
Answered wrong quote
  • Love 12

Whoopi and her trashy views on women can fuck right off. She will ALWAYS find a way to put the onus on the female victim. I cannot stand her. Somebody should have told her in her ear any one of the five times she put the female victim as being responsible for any other victims that came after her that she should stop. Either they didn't or she refused to listen. Joy tried to speak up but Whoopi kept going. She is terrible. I have no idea why she is so seemingly popular.

• Love 17
52 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

"We've accomplished more in my administration than almost any other administration in history."

That was part of his new comedy routine.  He was previewing it at the UN.  They laughed and he actually seemed pleased.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I have no idea why she is so seemingly popular.

My explanation is that all the "celebrities" who show up and gush over her know her only from her performances in movies and on stage--maybe even working with her.  If they watched the show, they'd see the "Rape Rape" Real Whoopi.  I say that...and then add that my best friend (since 1948) LOVES Whoopi on "The View."   She is, however extremely gullible and lacks the critical thinking gene.  I do not board the Whoopi train.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

I'm still confused. Is Michael Avenatti's client saying that this happened to her, or that she just witnessed bad behaviour?

She's saying both.

I read her declaration, and the part about it happening to her is near the end (item 13). What she doesn't specify (as far as I noticed) is whether she's alleging Kavanaugh took part in her gang rape, but her statement places him and Mark Judge at the scene in item 13. In item 12, she alleges she saw those two lined up outside a room, waiting for their turn in one of these gang rapes of another person. She also just said he was a mean drunk, and used to grind up against girls, etc. 

Here's her sworn declaration (signed under pains of perjury and it's about a sitting US Circuit Court Judge, i.e. Kavanaugh):

Page One

Page Two

Page Three

This is yet another episode in which the panel would have benefitted from a journalist-moderator like Meredith Vieira. I wish Ana had been on today's panel, instead of Abby (about whom I still feel pretty neutral). 

On The View, Avenatti said he's asked the committee to launch an investigation and that his client, Julie Swetnick, is willing to take a polygraph if Kavanaugh will. 

Sunny asked if Kavanaugh did anything particular to Swetnick, but Avenatti just referred her back to the declaration. He seems to pinpoint Kavanaugh as one of the people who spiked the punch (with grain alcohol to get them extra drunk, or with drugs) when girls were targeted. 

In response to a sort of "what's next" question from Abby, he said she's prepared to meet with the FBI "forthwith" and that she's also willing to provide the names of corroborating witnesses, as well as what she witnessed on her own. 

When Joy asked him what would happen if the committee just didn't respond, Avenatti said although he's not going to disclose them, they do have plans for that, but noted the committee doing that would be outrageous. [Everything is outrageous all the time now, so I am not convinced that's not exactly what Grassley and his committee will do.]

He tried to end the segment by saying there is no excuse for the Senate judiciary committee and Kavanugh not calling Mark Judge before the committee. He also said, "They are hiding Mark Judge from the American people. I can assure you, if he had positive things to say about this time period and positive things to say about Brett Kavanaugh's conduct, we already would have heard from him."

Abby then pushed back and asked him, "Can you just explain to our viewers, and to all of us, as this is breaking, what specifically did Judge Kavanaugh do to your client?" 

Avenatti again referred her back to the language in the declaration, and said there is reason behind the way it's worded. Any further comment on that won't be provided until the coming days. 

Edited by General Days
  • Love 12
22 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

That was part of his new comedy routine.  He was previewing it at the UN.  They laughed and he actually seemed pleased.

Actually, he said he "Didn't expect that reaction" & grinned like a small school boy that got caught playing with his dick.  Afterwards, he said it was meant to be funny.  B.S.!!!!!

• Love 17

I appreciate what Whoopi was TRYING to say, but Joy had a better point: When accusers speak up, they get treated like the criminals or ignored. I live in Minnesota where a lawmaker was found to be lecherous with his own daughter who is now 22 - she had told her mother, her friends, her teacher, her youth pastor (the latter two who unsuccessfully tried to intervene on her behalf).

I enjoyed the monogamy conversation. I can't comment on it the way the ladies did because I am a gay man and it's, just, um, DIFFERENT, but Whoopi echoed what I always try to tell friends in complicated relationships: You have to talk about this stuff at the beginning of the relationship so you can both establish your boundaries and understand what will or won't work for you -- it's okay if it's uncomfortable!

Kristen Bell was very hyper but I found her enjoyable.

• Love 8

I was disappointed in Whoopi regarding the Cosby discussion. She's said too much for her not to go back and address the previous comments she made because I never got the impression that she ever wanted due diligence for the women. I always felt that her comments about due process was really to quell the guilty verdicts in the court of public opinion when it came to her friend, Cosby.

From what I understand from Avenatti's comments, is a character witness that is willing to testify which would give more credence to Ford's testimony that suggests that Kavanaugh may have been in too much of a drunken state to remember what he did that night. BUT it also seems that she is a victim in some way but they are not speaking publicly on what her accusations are.

How embarrassing that world leaders laugh at your proclamations of success as President but it won't matter to him, he holds his rallies to feed his ego where people ignore incidents like this and believe that he has brought back American respect and legitimacy on the world stage. That reaction is proof of how deluded that notion is. 

Sunny - your description of jealousy is beyond 'jealous'. Burning clothes and throwing things is straight up vindictive and petty - who you trying to fool, girl? lol

• Love 10

I loved what Kristen had to say about finding other people attractive and jealousy.  It seems she hadn't been listening to Sunny talking about it earlier or she wouldn't have made it sound so foolish to be jealous.  I love Sunny but honestly, her jealous rages and destructive tendencies are ridiculous.  Why the heck is she so insecure?

• Love 10