Type keyword(s) to search

Buffy Calendar

• Start Topic

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 5:32 PM, Loandbehold said:

I don't care about Andrew's "emotional core." It's still not necessary for the plot of how to close the seal. And, for me, nothing about this episode changes Andrew from being an annoying, unfunny, and completely useless character. If they truly had to inflict Andrew on us, the least they could have done was had his "emotional core" appear at the second of his untimely death*.

* Untimely in the sense of he never should have been on the show, or, if he was, he should have been killed right after his first line.

The show is about redemption, for Angel, Spike, Andrew, you can't just wipe out everyone who you dislike. 

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 1:26 AM, lembergwatcher said:

December 14

1959 - Debbie Lee Carrington (d. 2018), an American actress and stuntwoman, who appeared as Creature in S.05E.09 Listening to Fear.

2kb1yq.thumb.jpg.4952bc8769a80ff70cf45d8e6edf09d7.jpg

Oh, the girl from Total Recall!

6 hours ago, Joe Hellandback said:

The show is about redemption, for Angel, Spike, Andrew, you can't just wipe out everyone who you dislike. 

Actually, I can criticize what I don't like about the show. Just like you can criticize Rona. Andrew was, is, and always will be an annoying and unfunny waste of screen time. 

Quoting Joe, from above:

The show is about redemption, for Angel, Spike, Andrew, you can't just wipe out everyone who you dislike

Actually the show is IMO about Growing Up and Making the Hard Choices and "redemption" (hallelujah!) is a cheap device that wipes away the consequences and renders past storylines and character development invalid, all in the service of keeping popular actors on the show, logic and morality and common sense be damned.

"Oh, Buffy, I don't know what came over me!  I was hungry, so I went to the hospital, set a dozen babies on fire and made shish-kebab!  And they didn't even have the right sauce, so I just had to eat them with ketchup!  Blech!"

"Dawn, that was very, very bad!  You go up to your room right now!  And don't come down until you're redeemed! (Hallelujah!)"

I mean, by the "logic" of the later seasons, there's no reason this conversation couldn't have happened.  Do the words "a lot of Buffy's people are murderers, actually" ring a bell?

Whereas back when the show was actually great, there was one character who had been given a miraculous second chance…which he failed.   And so Angel fell from grace, and became a greater menace than he ever was an ally, and ended that season cast into a hell-dimension, seemingly forever.  No "redemption" needed, thank Joss.

(But unfortunately he was brought back for a third chance [because there was money in it] and so he went on to destroy more lives.  Including Cordelia and Wesley.  Fuck you, asshole.)

Edited by Halting Hex

I never cared about Andrew or his "redemption". I always wanted the show to be about Buffy and her closest friends, and their stories. Andrew and his "redemption" do not add anything significant to the storyline. Delete 99,5% of "his" scenes in all 15 episodes of the final season that include this annoying character, and it wouldn't  a change a thing.

Wow, I had no idea Angelo had passed so young.  Not even 33.  Sigh.

Checking out his IMDb, I see that he was in The Rookie (2002), the Disney biopic of Jim Morris, who was out of baseball before being talked into giving it one last try and ended up making it to the big leagues at the age of 35 or so.  (Dennis Quaid played Jim.)  In the same supporting cast was Chad Lindberg (Dave, I Robot You Jane), so they had a little "Team BtVS" reunion on the set, I guess.  Sad to realize that Angelo's story ended at an age before Jim Morris's even truly began.  Bye, Chris.

(Maybe the EMTs should have tried jumper cables?  I mean, just in case…)

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, lembergwatcher said:

December 24

1961 - Wade Williams, an American actor who played General Gregor in S.05E.20 Spiral.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-fdYoDIB1lt4.thumb.jpg.0eb5cc7f3994004fa13f157e2b4801e5.jpg

Also shows up in Tru Calling as the hitman who killed Tru's mother. When you read what they had planned for season 2 on IMDB it is SUCH a shame they cancelled the series, it was just getting good. 

December 29

1964 - Michael Cudlitz, an American actro who portrayed Bob in S.03E.13 The Zeppo.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-X59IP86Xpy.thumb.jpg.defbd9ccae19f1aa47dc10d2207a3b14.jpg

1970 - Kevin Weisman, an American actor who played Dreg in four episodes of the fifth season (Shadow, Listening to Fear, Checkpoint, Blood Ties).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-oBUsedUWLfDapOY.thumb.jpg.9dd9e71ae8d183204c989f264c7fa22a.jpg

Edited by lembergwatcher

Cudlitz is currently starring in ABC's 1970s sitcom, The Kids Are Alright.  He's had a pretty nice career for a zombie.

Weisman, of course, is well-beloved by one fandom for his role as Marshall on Alias.  I'll always remember him for his Charmed guest-shot, in one of their best comedy episodes, Season 3's "Sin Francisco".  

8 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

2k2wuz.jpg.d6cf0f0584965ca38d7735935b0f2

Notice how Eliza's wearing the black in the top pic.  Even as an 11-year-old, she was getting the "bad girl" roles, I guess.

indexelizapatriciadushku.jpg.91fa581a486

$9.5 million in that bottom picture.  Hope you enjoyed being a dick, Weatherly.

Don't know why. she's such a cutie, got a 'Tractenberg' style adorable moppetness  (as has Amber). Nothing from the bikini fashion parade in The New Guy? Or naked ED from Banshee?

Edited by Joe Hellandback
On 12/29/2018 at 3:48 AM, Halting Hex said:

Weisman, of course, is well-beloved by one fandom for his role as Marshall on Alias.  I'll always remember him for his Charmed guest-shot, in one of their best comedy episodes, Season 3's "Sin Francisco".

Weisman also appeared in a Season 1 episode of Chuck. I believe it was "Chuck vs. The Truth.

11 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Oh, please, Smidge didn't need freaking auto-tune.  Or a back-up rapper (played by effin' Lenk, of all people).  Plus, history lesson!

"To read makes our speaking English good."  Indeed, indeed.

But she didn't twerk either!

22 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

Should have posted it yesterday, still better late than never. ED raps better than SMG.

Interesting proposed verse in the comments;

Belle;

"Accused of bestiality, that's just vile,

Specially coming from a necrophile!

Girl who's got vampires in her bed,

Face it honey,

you boinked the undead!

Say Whaaaaat?"

Word!

Cinders;

"Call me a necrophile?

That's okay!

Jealous cause your man needs a litter tray!

Me and Snow White we're both getting some

Because one day our prince did come!

Freddie Prinze!

Yeah!"

• Love 1
4 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

January 8

1977 - Ryan Francis, an American actor who portrayed the soldier in S.02E.14 Innocence.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-nrJZPF9J2HL.thumb.jpg.248682bab3458f1d931af73584875383.jpg

Innocence has a fantastic script, but it improved between the page and the screen due to a number of little tweaks.  (For example, when Buffy tells Angel "This can't be you" in the hallway showdown, his reply is written as "We already covered that part", but David adds that perfect little "Gee," at the start of the line.  And the "Was I not good?" scene had a number of similar upgrades.)  One of them was when an actual rainstorm (as opposed to the rain machine used at the end of Surprise) forced them to put rain gear on Ryan's soldier character when he accosts Xander, eliminating a stupid line about "your oakleafs are on backwards" in favor of a more-pertinent "your post wasn't covered".  And that gave Xander's dressing-down of the soldier more "oomph", ending with the "you hold your gun like a sissy girl" climax, with Xander putting the weapon back in Ryan's hands.

And all of that leads to the great (unscripted) climax of the scene when, as Xander and Cordy go inside, Ryan looks down at the gun in his hands and does a take, all "oh, so that's how I'm supposed to hold it?" Heh.  Nice improv, that.

Edited by Halting Hex
  • Love 1

His parents really named him "Marcus Blucas"?  Jeepers-creepers.  What's with the rhyme-time, folks?

Had no idea that Blucas made an informal cameo as Fred Jones in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.  (The Scooby-Doo characters are not specifically listed as such in the credits, perhaps because of a rights issue.)  I always said that if you did a Scooby-Doo version using actual Scoobies from this show, then Riley would be the "Fred".

(Cordelia as Daphne, Willow as Velma, and Xander as Shaggy, of course.  Yes, this sticks Buffy as the dog [ruh-roh!] but once a title character, always a title character…)

• Love 4

January 12

1975 - Chase Hampton (b. Chasen Cord Hampton), an American actor, singer, songwriter and musician who played Elliot in S.01E.09 The Puppet Show.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-EzG5lca12WcMGHm0.thumb.jpg.e55f41722036620cdab65667171eddf4.jpg

1987 - Will Rothhaar (b. William Edward Lamar Rothhaar), an American actor who played James the boy in S.02E.07 Lie to Me. Also starred alongside Michelle Trachtenberg in 2013 television film Killing Kennedy.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-MRl3LKHeJwlM4.thumb.jpg.5571252ddad3abe5c54b0c2c2d895b15.jpg

January 13

1956 - Conor O'Farrell, an American actor, writer and director who portrayed Colonel McNamara in three eps of the fourth season (New Moon Rising, The Yoko Factor, Primeval).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-KwZAyc7zSUipSB.thumb.jpg.9d856e1e36c6d4dfaecf53baa13a0368.jpg

1965 - Paul Greenberg, a Canadian actor, writer and producer who played Shempy Vamp in S.06E.01 Bargaining, Part 1.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-4GvgUoB6L7W3lP.thumb.jpg.504f1d21d905e97b45a7d3ddc8e4eff8.jpg

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, Halting Hex said:

His parents really named him "Marcus Blucas"?  Jeepers-creepers.  What's with the rhyme-time, folks?

Had no idea that Blucas made an informal cameo as Fred Jones in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.  (The Scooby-Doo characters are not specifically listed as such in the credits, perhaps because of a rights issue.)  I always said that if you did a Scooby-Doo version using actual Scoobies from this show, then Riley would be the "Fred".

(Cordelia as Daphne, Willow as Velma, and Xander as Shaggy, of course.  Yes, this sticks Buffy as the dog [ruh-roh!] but once a title character, always a title character…)

You see ED in her catsuit in the film and think she just can't get any sexier. Then you see Dollhouse....

Very useful for 6 Degrees, especially with Mark Hamil  

11 hours ago, lembergwatcher said:

January 13

1956 - Conor O'Farrell, an American actor, writer and director who portrayed Colonel McNamara in three eps of the fourth season (New Moon Rising, The Yoko Factor, Primeval).

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-KwZAyc7zSUipSB.thumb.jpg.9d856e1e36c6d4dfaecf53baa13a0368.jpg

1965 - Paul Greenberg, a Canadian actor, writer and producer who played Shempy Vamp in S.06E.01 Bargaining, Part 1.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-4GvgUoB6L7W3lP.thumb.jpg.504f1d21d905e97b45a7d3ddc8e4eff8.jpg

Connor Farrell one of the great American character actors 

(edited)

January 17

1958 - Deran Sarafian, an American film and television director and former actor who directed S.02E.18 Killed by Death.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-FkFjOLUBb9XfVoG.thumb.jpg.7f047055c46cefeb37f3ccecf0f2fe6a.jpg

1970 - Molly Bryant, an American actress who portrayed Ms. Murray in S.03E.18 Earshot.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-JLRUVvv14cJtz.thumb.jpg.b95d7b06b8a1ac7afee084b484992aa2.jpg

Edited by lembergwatcher
9 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Jean Luc who?  Not Picard; TNG was off the air by the time Molly Bryant started getting TV gigs.  Or did she act with Sir Patrick Stewart in something else?

You're right, I was thinking of Jennifer Hetrick who played the teacher in Homecoming.