Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E02: Premiere Week: Part 2

• Start Topic

On 9/25/2018 at 10:14 PM, Lambie said:

The "celebrity" famous for her IG bikini pics and selfies is crying because she always lacked self confidence? This is where the world is headed. 

I think that is a pretty unfair statement. She has struggled with anorexia/bulimia for years and is now a pretty open advocate for people to seek help if they are suffering from eating disorders. She was also in a very toxic relationship where it seems like she was belittled quite a bit. 

Just because she is a model, doesn't mean she has self-confidence.

• Love 5
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:38 AM, Mu Shu said:

I don’t even know who that Bobby fool is.  I thought he may be Andy Dicks brother or something.

Some fool who I follow or follows me on Instagram says she voted 96 times for Schmoe and sent an email castigating the judges for judging this grown ass 30 something yo man.  Who wants to quit because he’s gotten high and arrogant on his “fame” and expects everyone, especially females, to worship him.  And omg, people didn’t love him!  He sucked! They told him he sucked!  

Good god.  

Wow, that is a lot of judgement of someone we have seen dance once for 30 plus seconds who was embarrassed because he did suck.  I'm not seeing arrogance, just realization he is out of his comfort zone.  If anything he knows he should have been the one who should leave.  Maybe he improves a bit next time.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, crowceilidh said:

Robert Roldan was defo in one of the bumpers in epi 1 - as his kid star from the SYTYCD kid season (was he the winner, I can no longer remember?) is in the Junior Pros, I guess he's been hanging about a bit?

He's been in DWTS dances before. He was definitely in Jordan's freestyle. I  just assumed he was friends with Jenna. I wouldn't be sad if he stuck around.

45 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Wow, that is a lot of judgement of someone we have seen dance once for 30 plus seconds who was embarrassed because he did suck.  I'm not seeing arrogance, just realization he is out of his comfort zone.  If anything he knows he should have been the one who should leave.  Maybe he improves a bit next time.

As for me and my house, we will continue to snark on the fake ass three time reality TV attention seeker.

It’s arrogant to get a place on this show and the income it provides and threaten to quit because things didn’t go your way.  Someone needs a whambulance. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

I don't think I've seen him on DWTS, but I was just randomly watching the latest SYTYCD (got through halfway and remembered why I hated the live shows lol, I guess i'll stick to auditions and thinning the herd weeks from now on)

But during the academy week there was an "all-star" named Paul ( I think). I don't think I watched his season, as he didn't look familiar. But DAMN he is a good ballroom dancer. Couldn't take my eyes off him.

I'll sign the petition do bring him on the show.

You're talking about Paul Karmiryan. He was my favorite contestant on SYTYCD Season 10 and he made it to Top 6 (out of 20). He was also a winner of SYTYCD Armenia version.

I love Paul and would love to see him as a DWTS pro (he might even bring back some of my obsession I used to have for the show, which I lost a lot of when Mark Ballas left). In the past, he has made appearances on DWTS as an unofficial member of the troupe (I think I remember him being in Noah/Sharna's jazz and Rumer/Val's jive). Unfortunately, I read somewhere that he supposedly fell out of favor with DWTS producers after some injury he had.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, vavera4ka said:

I don't think I've seen him on DWTS, but I was just randomly watching the latest SYTYCD (got through halfway and remembered why I hated the live shows lol, I guess i'll stick to auditions and thinning the herd weeks from now on)

But during the academy week there was an "all-star" named Paul ( I think). I don't think I watched his season, as he didn't look familiar. But DAMN he is a good ballroom dancer. Couldn't take my eyes off him.

I'll sign the petition do bring him on the show.

Paul Karmiryan? https://www.instagram.com/paulkarmiryan/ 

Yes, he's a terrific ballroom dancer.  He often does dance projects with Britt Cherry.

• Love 1
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:43 AM, Quickbeam said:

OMG, this juniors thing, make it stop. Over sexualized and 100% creepy. 

What do you mean? I am looking forward to seeing a 13-14 yr old gyrating on a 10 yr old while performing a rumba. (heavy sarcasm)  I have a pretty good idea that this kiddie version of DWTS will not last long. During the junior pro dance, the kids couldn't even keep in sync.  The kids are annoying, too hyper for my taste.  And I noticed that Jenna's niece is in love with the camera just like Jenna is. It's in the blood.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, BeeBop88 said:

What do you mean? I am looking forward to seeing a 13-14 yr old gyrating on a 10 yr old while performing a rumba. (heavy sarcasm)  I have a pretty good idea that this kiddie version of DWTS will not last long. During the junior pro dance, the kids couldn't even keep in sync.  The kids are annoying, too hyper for my taste.  And I noticed that Jenna's niece is in love with the camera just like Jenna is. It's in the blood.

Honestly, the only people I've seen who are excited about it, or even interested in it, are Val and Jenna's fans.

i absolutely love tinashe and she is a great performer. i want her to win so badly. tinashe and brandon are the first black couple ever on this show. if they want to win, they need to win over the general audience. brandon is a brand new pro and he isn’t as popular as the other pros. that could result in them getting eliminated early. another reason they could be eliminated early is that the general population loves the underdog and they prefer the non experienced dancers over the experienced dancers. and they love football players. they are always so popular. in 26 seasons, only one black woman won this show and it is so sad. they always do most of the black women on this show dirty. mel b, mya, zendaya, christina milian, simone biles, normani, lil kim, and brandy were all cheated. and i don’t want tinashe to suffer that same fate. her and brandon really need to deliver week after week and make america fall in love with them if they want that mirrorball. we haven’t had a female win this show since laurie hernandez. and we haven’t had a black woman win this show since season 17 and it is so sad. it is time for another black female to win this show and i want a black pro to win for once. if they win, they will be the first black pairing to ever win this show. that would be great. 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

As for me and my house, we will continue to snark on the fake ass three time reality TV attention seeker.

It’s arrogant to get a place on this show and the income it provides and threaten to quit because things didn’t go your way.  Someone needs a whambulance. 

Let's face it, anyone who goes on TV "looking for love" is an attention whore. Poor Dude got the attention he wanted, just the negative kind.

Do people seriously think DWTS is a walk in the park? It sure seems like some of the contestants have that attitude.

• Love 2

Do people seriously think DWTS is a walk in the park? It sure seems like some of the contestants have that attitude.

I think it's more that people are surprised at how difficult it actually can be to learn a choreographed dance.  I'm sure there are naturals, but I love dance and when I watch someone do it, I think that I can.  Then when I actually try to do what I'm being taught, I become overwhelmed by the demands of remembering the choreo, projecting the choreo, projecting enthusiasm and pointing my toes correctly actually puts on me.  It's amazingly more difficult than it seems unless you are training in some kind of discipline that requires you to govern your own body movement to a hair and remembering extended sequences of muscle movement.  The smiling and acting is some of the hardest work actually and for me can suppress my memory of the choreo.  I'm an okay amateur dancer and anybody who is an okay amateur dancer is going to have a tough tough time. whether or not their pro is bodily pushing and pulling them through the moves, so someone who really has never danced at all could easily be overwhelmed.  

• Love 9

Didn’t Marie Osmond lose a lot of weight when she was on the show?  She’s a show biz veteran and said it was rigorous.

The problem with dating show “stars” is that they sit around doing nothing.   New York/Tiffany being one notable exception. 

• Love 2

I think it's more that people are surprised at how difficult it actually can be to learn a choreographed dance.  I'm sure there are naturals, but I love dance and when I watch someone do it, I think that I can.  Then when I actually try to do what I'm being taught, I become overwhelmed by the demands of remembering the choreo, projecting the choreo, projecting enthusiasm and pointing my toes correctly actually puts on me.  It's amazingly more difficult than it seems unless you are training in some kind of discipline that requires you to govern your own body movement to a hair and remembering extended sequences of muscle movement.  The smiling and acting is some of the hardest work actually and for me can suppress my memory of the choreo.  I'm an okay amateur dancer and anybody who is an okay amateur dancer is going to have a tough tough time. whether or not their pro is bodily pushing and pulling them through the moves, so someone who really has never danced at all could easily be overwhelmed.  

I took a belly dancing class for fun once. I was a lot younger then and in shape. However, it was so difficult, not only physically, but mentally. Remembering the steps was the hardest part for me. I could not even fathom doing something like DWTS.

• Love 3

I really think some of these celebs don't realize how hard it is until the rehearsals. I'd bet most of the time they focus in exposure and the paycheck. Then their partner gets their ass in gear and they are shocked at how much work is required.

1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

Didn’t Marie Osmond lose a lot of weight when she was on the show?  She’s a show biz veteran and said it was rigorous.

Yep Marie did lose a lot and Kirstie Ally also said her time on DWTS helped her drop a lot of weight.

• Love 5

Knowing how difficult it is for someone with no dance experience whatsoever makes me really appreciate celebs like James Hinchcliffe and Gilles Marini.  They were willing to train a lot, listen to their partners, and take criticism (well Gilles, the first time anyway).   

• Love 6
On 9/26/2018 at 7:49 PM, TVbitch said:

Was that Robert, the SYTYCD allstar in the troupe? If so, I hope he progresses to become a pro. 

Robert Roldan isn't trained in Ballroom from a young age and has probably never participated in a ballroom competition. He is a contemporary dancer. Robert would be the male equivalent of Alison Holker when it comes to choreographing and teaching ballroom. He needs training himself so I have no idea how he could train an amateur in ballroom.

Don't get me wrong.....I really enjoy Robert Roldan on SYTYCD and was excited to see him getting work on DWTS. But.....DWTS pro? Just no.

• Love 6

I'd be quite surprised if Robert actually wanted DWTS.  I was rooting for him to win on SYTYCD in his season, but I never saw any particular propensity for ballroom in his dancing that I can remember and I think he did at least 4 ballroom numbers.  He is most defo a contemporary dancer.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

They aren't doing rumbas on DWTS Jrs.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Robert Roldan was defo in one of the bumpers in epi 1 - as his kid star from the SYTYCD kid season (was he the winner, I can no longer remember?) is in the Junior Pros, I guess he's been hanging about a bit?

Robert mentored JT (the cute little guy) on the SYTYCD juniors season. This is my favorite performance from them........

The Mirror with Robert and JT

I'd be quite surprised if Robert actually wanted DWTS.  I was rooting for him to win on SYTYCD in his season, but I never saw any particular propensity for ballroom in his dancing that I can remember and I think he did at least 4 ballroom numbers.  He is most defo a contemporary dancer.

I was rooting for his friend, Billy Bell when they both competed in season 7. Robert came in 3rd and Billy came in 6th place.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

Honestly, the only people I've seen who are excited about it, or even interested in it, are Val and Jenna's fans.

Well the folks on Pure seem pretty obsessed with it as well. Are any of Derek's relatives on it?

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I am not specifically a Val or Jenna (or Hough) fan, but I am interested in watching DWTS Jrs because I appreciate genuinely talented kids. And I get particularly impressed watching them do ballroom because of the level of technical skill, musicality, and performance aspect involved, which as we see, even adults can have a hard time doing well.

Also, your favorite adult pro ballroom dancers? Hard for them to exist without training and competing as kid dancers first.

Edited by calipiano81
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Same here. I've had the "Well, that doesn't seem too hard..." thought before myself, but then I hear about the injuries and see the BTS stuff with the amount of time they put in and think about all the little details you have to remember and all of that squashes that thought pretty darn fast :p. I don't have any sort of dance experience whatsoever, either, so this show, along with the discussions from those of you here with dance experience, has definitely been an eye-opening learning experience for me. 

I remember there was one contestant a few years back who was practicing a dance with his partner, and it involved some complicated foot move or something, and after they tried it, he joked, "Who the hell came up with that move?" :D. I imagine he's not the first person who's had that kind of thought, either!

• Love 3
5 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

I am not specifically a Val or Jenna (or Hough) fan, but I am interested in watching DWTS Jrs because I appreciate genuinely talented kids. And I get particularly impressed watching them do ballroom because of the level of technical skill, musicality, and performance aspect involved, which as we see, even adults can have a hard time doing well.

Also, your favorite adult pro ballroom dancers? Hard for them to exist without training and competing as kid dancers first.

Yep, the majority of these adult pros were doing exactly that at that age.  Just not on a tv show for the world to see, but they would have if given the opportunity.  Heck, Brittany Cherry and Brandon were literally on DWTS for the first time competing in a kids ballroom competition on the results shows...that they won.  I see zero wrong with anything I saw from the kids and it's already been established that the show is steering clear of the rumba.

• Love 1

I really don't see anything sexual about the kid dancers .. I actually find it really refreshing to see kids doing something other than being " instagram celebrities or influencers " . 

I like how Mackenzie Ziegler is listing herself as a singer whwn talking about why she's " famous " when she was actually a dancer on dance moms for years . She's not a ballroom dancer but still a dancer . 

Edited by Jaclyn88
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, sinycalone said:

Knowing how difficult it is for someone with no dance experience whatsoever makes me really appreciate celebs like James Hinchcliffe and Gilles Marini.  They were willing to train a lot, listen to their partners, and take criticism (well Gilles, the first time anyway).   

And it helped that Gilles just happened to be a natural dancer.  In fact, he was such a natural at it that he was accused of actually being a ringer who'd been taking ballroom dance lessons for months in preparation for the show -- which he flatly denied!

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Tasha Brand said:

It wasn't lost on me that all five celebrities in danger were women.  Damn, this is a man-biased audience.

ive only seem this a few times.  I watched the athletes edition where Adam was applauded for being bitchy and snarky, and Mirai was criticized for it.  And she’s nowhere near annoying as Adam can be.

the odious lumbering Tonya was held up over charming, gracile Mirai.  I think the audience gets behind sad sacks and good looking men.  

• Love 2
On 9/28/2018 at 10:09 AM, howmanywords said:

I really think some of these celebs don't realize how hard it is until the rehearsals. I'd bet most of the time they focus in exposure and the paycheck. Then their partner gets their ass in gear and they are shocked at how much work is required.

Yep Marie did lose a lot and Kirstie Ally also said her time on DWTS helped her drop a lot of weight.

On 9/28/2018 at 8:18 AM, Mu Shu said:

The problem with dating show “stars” is that they sit around doing nothing.   New York/Tiffany being one notable exception. 

Many of the “stars” have dropped a lot of weight during the season, including the men.

Drew Scott lost 34lbs during his season. A lot of the NFL players drop an average of 25-30 lbs when they dance too.

I hadn’t started watching the show yet, but I specifically recall seeing photos of Kelly Osbourne after DWTS and was floored at how much weight she lost. Her brother Jack also lost weight, as did Rob Kardashian, Kyle Massey and Wanya Morris.  

I remember a female celeb saying she wanted to participate on DWTS for the sole purpose of losing weight after she saw one of her friends go on the show & they dropped a lot of weight. I’d have to Google which celeb that was, but for some reason, I want to say it was Ricki Lake. I could be wrong, but I will do some research and edit my answer. 

I remember Sasha Pieterse from “Pretty Little Liars” seemed quite excited to lose weight after her very open struggle with PCOS-related weight gain. She was eliminated during the 5th week, but said she dropped 37lbs between the first day of rehearsal and the night she was sent home. 

(I would go on the show in a heartbeat for a season to both improve as a dancer & drop some weight.)

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 4

me too Bridget, well, except I broke my foot this summer and it may never get back to full strength, it's better, it's healing, nicely, the surgeon said and I don't have to have surgery. But this is probably small talk, didn't there used to be a show where average people were selected, I think about 4, they trained for a couple of weeks with a pro ballroom teacher, learned one ballroom dance, then competed in a regular dance competition. It seems like it was on a cable channel about the time DWTS first came on. I loved it and would have applied in a heartbeat if I didn't have things like a job and pets...

6 hours ago, friendperidot said:

me too Bridget, well, except I broke my foot this summer and it may never get back to full strength, it's better, it's healing, nicely, the surgeon said and I don't have to have surgery. But this is probably small talk, didn't there used to be a show where average people were selected, I think about 4, they trained for a couple of weeks with a pro ballroom teacher, learned one ballroom dance, then competed in a regular dance competition. It seems like it was on a cable channel about the time DWTS first came on. I loved it and would have applied in a heartbeat if I didn't have things like a job and pets...

Yep, Ballroom Bootcamp, and it aired for two seasons (2005-2007) on The Learning Channel.  And yes, the pros on that show were HARDCORE -- and TOUGH.  They'd definitely have either whipped you into shape or had you curled up sobbing in a fetal position!

• Love 3

I hate when people use sympathy or calling others talent that may be better than yours out to win over the gp, for instance I didnt like Bobby calling out Demarcus and Tinashe as the best dancers in the competition when he was getting interviewed by Tom, because what that does is hurt them because gp will rally behind Bobby even more to make sure they want make it any further esp. for tinashe because lets face it she is everything the dwts audience doesnt get behind and that is she is sexy, attractive, can dance, confident and must I say a woc. Demarcus may can survive  all that stupid talk but not her. I just wish he kept his damn mouth close.

Another thing I have noticed is how Val is really giving his all to Nancy and I thought for sure he would be phoning it in toward her but he is not. I wish he had given this same kind of energy and dedication to Victoria, I thought their relationship was very poor, mainly on Val's part but he is really being there for Nancy and not throwing up in her face how she isnt what he is use to with his other partners like he did Victoria.

I cant get over Jenna being fake shock when they called joe and her safe. She knows damn well Bachelor Nation was going to rally behind him and that he wasnt going home, atleast not this damn soon. I just thought her whole reaction was fake as hell.

• Love 2

Thank you legaleage! I was kind of thinking there was something about Bootcamp in the name, but just couldn't quite remember. I liked that show. It didn't matter that the contestants were just everyday Joes and Janes, it was for dancing.

Oops, fixed it, sorry legaleagle, Moose is on a different thread about a different subject and my brain is old and apparently can't remember 2 posts down.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Thank you Moose, I was kind of thinking there was something about Bootcamp in the name, but just couldn't quite remember. I liked that show. It didn't matter that the contestants were just everyday Joes and Janes, it was for dancing.

Moose?  Who's Moose?

• Love 1
On 9/26/2018 at 5:45 AM, hyacinth said:

I still think Mary Lou looks really cute!   I was going to vote for her last night but I must have been pouring myself more pinot grigio or reading about the upcoming hearings (more reality TV!) and I missed the tiny, nano-sized voting window.   

Ahhh, okay.  It is the wine that makes you think she is cute.  

image.thumb.png.3f1e508079af6095c8dc403af4e9f2f1.png

Edited by Wings
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Wings said:

Lol.  But there is something cute about her. I have to admit I admire her lack of vanity.  

ML has nice legs. 

14 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Yep, Ballroom Bootcamp, and it aired for two seasons (2005-2007) on The Learning Channel.  And yes, the pros on that show were HARDCORE -- and TOUGH.  They'd definitely have either whipped you into shape or had you curled up sobbing in a fetal position!

image.png.ab7fb3e009d9f2fa246ff79e024516d7.png

Yup, agree.....Gocha would have scared the crap out of me!!!

image.png

Edited by luvthepros
  • Love 1
57 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

image.png.ab7fb3e009d9f2fa246ff79e024516d7.png

Yup, agree.....Gocha would have scared the crap out of me!!!

image.png

You know what's even funnier?  His wife was also one of the hardcore pros on that show, and when he introduced her, he said "You think I'M tough?  She scares even ME!"

1 hour ago, Wings said:

Agreed.  That expression was cute when she was 16.  Now that she's 50, the word that comes to mind is "creepy."

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Wings said:

I still think she's cute and I'm currently wine-less!     Always interesting to see who thinks who is attractive or not.   :-)     

I don't like that cheek implant, overly-filled facial look, usually complete with fish lips, so I guess I prefer the ML look.    

• Love 2
1 minute ago, hyacinth said:

I still think she's cute and I'm currently wine-less!     Always interesting to see who thinks who is attractive or not.   :-)     

I don't like that cheek implant, overly-filled facial look, usually complete with fish lips, so I guess I prefer the ML look.    

I don’t like the implant filler look either.   It isn’t that or Mary Lou for me.  There is a lot of inbetween there!   :^) 

43 minutes ago, hyacinth said:

IOW, the Kardashian look. Plastic from head to toe.  Out of all the pro female dancers, Peta (I know she is not on the show) has gone completely overboard with lip enhancement fillers. They are so puffed up, they look ready to explode.  And let's just say that the aging process has not been kind to Mary Lou. 

Juan Pablo OTOH, what a hot tamale he is!!!!!! Not to mention, he sure made a sexy Jesus!!!! In reality, if Jesus had looked like that, I would be going to church every Sunday.  J/K!

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 5

Legaleagle, I apologize. Yes, Wings, I got confused with a poster on another thread that I exchange posts with each other frequently. I'm old, at least that's my excuse most of the time. Fixed my error. But I do appreciate the information. I'm not sure if Gocha is the instructor I was remembering, but I like tough instructors, they get a lot from their students. I do remember a male instructor who had very dark hair, I enjoyed watching him. I've seen him on some other things, but I do not remember his name. Remember, I'm old, I forget!

• Love 2
On 9/25/2018 at 11:06 PM, DietCokeJunkie said:

That was Kerri Strug who vaulted on a broken foot in 1996,  not Mary Lou. 

It was Kerri Strug but not a broken foot.  Third degree lateral sprain and some tendon damage.  Still very impressive, though.  :)

• Love 3
On 9/26/2018 at 10:50 AM, AZChristian said:

Perverts will love having over-sexualized prepubescent youngsters come into their homes every week to strut around in front of the camera with "come hither" looks.  I, like you, found it 100% creepy.  This is not a judgment against the kids - it's wondering how their parents could allow/encourage them to do this.

I have never really enjoyed watching kids do ballroom dancing, whether it be here or on shows like America's Got Talent, and it's for just that reason.  Watching a couple of 10-year-old kids do the tango, for instance, is just creepy and makes me feel really uncomfortable.  I did see a couple of kids do a jive once that was really great and fun, not at all sexualized, but that was probably the only time I've enjoyed watching young ones dance.

• Love 2

If they’re going go cast reality “stars”, why not cast the greatest reality stAr of all time.

Dianne from Fat Camp.  I’d vote til my fingers fell off, and then I would use my cat’s paws to keep voting.

LOVE.