Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E02: Premiere Week: Part 2

• Start Topic

I still think Mary Lou looks really cute!   I was going to vote for her last night but I must have been pouring myself more pinot grigio or reading about the upcoming hearings (more reality TV!) and I missed the tiny, nano-sized voting window.   

• Love 1

I don’t see this opening any more doors for Joe.  He’s boring as hell, and there is at least one guy there as attractive, so the general audience won’t be obsessed with him.  I think he got this gig because TB is grooming him for the possible lead next cycle.  Don’t think it will pan out.  

He’s pretty.  It begins and ends there.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, nutty1 said:

Bachelor Nation is loyal and Joe will be there a while. Though I think he hates it, personally.

He doesn't seem to really want to be here. I mean, besides him basically saying that he doesn't want to be here, he just looks miserable. He didn't really seem to care when he was called safe, though maybe his blank expression paralleled Jenna's over the top shocked face.

10 hours ago, Saylii said:

I’m not sure why everyone is making a big deal with Evanna receiving a 5 from Len.  John and Nikki also received 5’s from Len.  John also had the same 7/5 split to match Evanna’s scores.  Both Danelle and Nancy received 6/6/6.  It’s pretty common for Carrie Ann and Len to split the difference in the early weeks to keep the middle tier from getting straight 6’s.  I agree that Evanna did take the nastiest comments of the night from Len.

I think when people think of someone getting a 5, it's associated with someone being a poor dancer (like a 4 is associated with being the worst since hardly anyone gets 4s on this show). Evanna was decent and not needing a 5, as it makes it seem like she was bad. I think three sixes would have been fine, but a 5 has a negative connotation to it, which is why people got upset. 

I do like Alexis. I think she's more introverted than some, but she seems to have a good attitude and she seems really sweet. I may not care for her profession as an Instagram model, but if that qualifies her to be a celebrity, then that's not on her. I think she's talented as well. It's a shame that she might get lost in the shuffle and get eliminated far earlier than what she deserves, because she's the second best female dancer this season, next to Tinashe. 

• Love 7

I don't really think the Bachelor vote is all that big in this show.  Over time Joe's lack of ability to dance will make a difference, as it does with most contestants that start to lose votes.  Also, he isn't as popular as some of the other Bach/ette contestants that have been on the show... those that were a lead have more popularity just by having more tv time and notoriety.  

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Guys, do we know that the six who were called in jeopardy were truly the bottom 6? 

I was about to ask that, too. I fast forward a lot, so I didn't hear if they point blank said they were the 6 lowest votes. If they didn't specifically say it, then they weren't.

Another question, is the results show back for good or was this just a special ep because it was the premiere?

1 minute ago, alexa said:

I don't really think the Bachelor vote is all that big in this show.  Over time Joe's lack of ability to dance will make a difference, as it does with most contestants that start to lose votes.  Also, he isn't as popular as some of the other Bach/ette contestants that have been on the show... those that were a lead have more popularity just by having more tv time and notoriety.  

I think what makes me think the opposite is the fact that Joe wasn't in the bottom six. He had the lowest scores of last night. Even if the producers were manipulating the vote, why would they waste it on Joe on this first week? I think the Bachelor vote is bigger than I previously thought. He could very well be in danger next week, but he should have been in danger this week, even if he wasn't eliminated. He should have danced again over Alexis. 

1 minute ago, peachmangosteen said:

I was about to ask that, too. I fast forward a lot, so I didn't hear if they point blank said they were the 6 lowest votes. If they didn't specifically say it, then they weren't.

From what Tom said, he said the combination of the judges' scores and the voting from last night determined who was safe and who was in jeopardy. I mean, that's why I took it to be the six lowest votes.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

From what Tom said, he said the combination of the judges' scores and the voting from last night determined who was safe and who was in jeopardy. I mean, that's why I took it to be the six lowest votes.

OK, that makes me assume they were not actually the 6 lowest vote getters lol.

2 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

OMG, this juniors thing, make it stop. Over sexualized and 100% creepy. 

Perverts will love having over-sexualized prepubescent youngsters come into their homes every week to strut around in front of the camera with "come hither" looks.  I, like you, found it 100% creepy.  This is not a judgment against the kids - it's wondering how their parents could allow/encourage them to do this.

• Love 14

For those who don't watch the Bachelor:

On the Bachelorette, they did an intro video.. about 3 minutes long.  He came across as cute and charming.  Then he choked and could barely speak night one of the Bachelorette and was sent home.

Therefore, no one really got to know him, other than the intro.  Also, she kept a lot of jerks and idiots.  So there was this longing for the nice, cute, normal-seeming guy she sent home.  Because of the hue and cry, he was offered Bachelor in Paradise ($ and a free vacation).  He actually acquitted himself pretty well, although many folks hate the woman he ended up with (won't bore you with the details), but they'd broken up and at the reunion show when they decided to give it another chance, the host said, but you are in Chicago and she is in LA.  Do you want to stay in LA for a while?  I've pulled some strings and gotten you DWTS.  He was put on the spot and said yes, although it looked like he had mixed feelings and announced he couldn't dance.

Sure, he could have then changed his mind, but how many would turn down DWTS $$?

I like him, but I hope he gets put out of his misery and sent home soon and that he is never the Bachelor because he's too inarticulate.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Oh honey.  Those Bachelor Nation nuts are voting for Joe Schmo up to 96 times.  He will hang around as long as the awful Tonya did. 

Youre doomed to seeing his blinding white rictus grin and his fake GF cheerleading on the sidelines hoping someone notices her for a minute now.

i have to say, that kid thing looks exploitative.  Honey boo boo is there, so I know it is.  That poor kid.

Get ready for Joe Blows and that annoying Bobby to be around a while. They are exactly the types that last long on this show. Why the hell did someone as good as Alexis land with the bottom feeders? That blows big time and it's obvious she is going to be eliminated over those other schmucks.

I still don't see the point in last night's show, except for pimping that god-awful looking junior show. I wasn't the least bit interested in seeing the bottom dwellers dance again, except Alexis. I wanted to see Tinashe, Demarcus, Juan Pablo and Milo! You know, the good and entertaining ones.

I felt sort of sorry for the woman who was eliminated. At least she tried hard, and she wasn't annoying.

This is starting to look more like a "I'll watch the good folks on you tube" type of season.

• Love 8
8 hours ago, MsTree said:

I don't think Joe was any worse than Nicki or the "blind" girl...especially for non-dancers.

As for Nancy's wardrobe, they're probably dressing her that way in an attempt to hide her stomach. IOW, anything shorter would certainly accentuate her mid-section, so they went longer.

A nice "A-line" black dress would have hid her stomach and looked elegant. They made her look like Big Bird. Poor woman.

• Love 8
59 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Another question, is the results show back for good or was this just a special ep because it was the premiere?

They're doing a results show this week and next week. They have to fill that time slot until The Connors is ready to premiere.

• Love 4

I don’t even know who that Bobby fool is.  I thought he may be Andy Dicks brother or something.

Some fool who I follow or follows me on Instagram says she voted 96 times for Schmoe and sent an email castigating the judges for judging this grown ass 30 something yo man.  Who wants to quit because he’s gotten high and arrogant on his “fame” and expects everyone, especially females, to worship him.  And omg, people didn’t love him!  He sucked! They told him he sucked!  

Good god.  

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

The male pro cast is so incredibly weak except for, dare I say it, Val. I like Artem but I'm still waiting to see him wow me one of these seasons.

How about we bring back Tony? I'd rather see him than either Gleb or Keo.

I mean, he is stuck babysitting older ladies... Not much potential to wow.

He took Lea and Nancy as far as he could, but they WERE "older" ladies... "older" ladies do not go much farther on this show...

Yet Keo gets and butchers the talent of Jodie and Evanna.... I guess Evanna is still TBD, but that first dance, though nice, didn't showcase her like she should have been.

Lol maybe if Toni comes back he'll be on babysitting duty again, LOL and Artem will get a young star with great potential LOL

I really liked Tony too, and was always mad at TPTB sticking him with older contestants. Though he DID get few ringers in his day. When is it gonna be Artem's turn. 

Edited by vavera4ka
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, DEL901 said:

Therefore, no one really got to know him, other than the intro.  Also, she kept a lot of jerks and idiots.  So there was this longing for the nice, cute, normal-seeming guy she sent home.  Because of the hue and cry, he was offered Bachelor in Paradise ($ and a free vacation).  He actually acquitted himself pretty well, although many folks hate the woman he ended up with (won't bore you with the details), but they'd broken up and at the reunion show when they decided to give it another chance, the host said, but you are in Chicago and she is in LA.  Do you want to stay in LA for a while?  I've pulled some strings and gotten you DWTS.  He was put on the spot and said yes, although it looked like he had mixed feelings and announced he couldn't dance.

Thanks DEL901 for explaining how GS Joe got on DWTS. He wasn't pimping for it or asking for it and def was not happy looking when Harrison announced he had just joined the DWTS cast. ABC recognized how popular Joe had become (after one appearance on TB-ette) and grabbed him as its current cash cow. I feel sorry for him because yeah, he signed contracts and now he's stuck. ABC currently owns the guy. He really is nice, but you know where they finish. I guess just not last on this show. Too bad he's not partnered with someone who could help him. Or teach him anything.

Meanwhile, ya'll were correct here about who would go home first. And no way in h.e.l.l. I'm watching that kiddie DWTS. It was skeevy enough what was shown last night, and I didn't see any kids who were "pro" quality. But yeah, the pervs will be tuning in AND recording to watch again. And again.

• Love 6

And the thing is, I feel badly for these kids.  You know they are beyond excited about this and sure seemed to be working hard and prepared, considering their first dance was pretty darn synchronized on last night's show.  But they cannot know (and it's good they're sheltered from this, I assume) how skeevy the whole premise comes across, especially in this climate.

• Love 7

The kids don’t have a choice.  And that poor Alana/Honey boo boo has been exploited most of her life.  

Nice guy Joe has now been on three reality shows, so the aw shucks nice guy going to Nonnas for Sunday gravy act is suspect.

• Love 1

Announcing the bottom six was very helpful in determining where the couples stand at this point.

I'm guessing the ranking is:

Demarcus

Juan Pablo

Bobby 

Tinashe 

Milo

Joe

Evanna

John (we know he was eighth because he was originally in the bottom six)

Nancy

Mary Lou

Danelle

Alexis

15 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I think her biggest problem is that most people don't see her as a celeb.

I think her biggest problem is that her fanbase is not this show's audience. It's like when Bethany Mota competed on the show, who like Alexis, her claim to fame was being a social media personality. Bethany had more social media followers than any of the contestants that season but those followers were not DWTS viewers. Luckily for her she had Derek who was able to mold her into something resembling a dancer, enough to get her to fourth place. But even he couldn't get her into the finals (and okay, Bethany's general "zero fucks" personality didn't help but still).

I've glanced at Alexis' Instagram (never heard of her before) and I'd wager to guess that a large portion of her fanbase is probably male. And I'm going to wager to guess that many of that fanbase is not watching DWTS. So it sucks for her because I do think she has amazing potential (I'll be honest, no offense to Alan but I watched them thinking, "man, what would Mark or Derek have been able to do with her"), clearly really wants to be on the show but I just don't know that she has the fanbase to carry her far and I don't see her picking up fans from the show's regular voting audience. 

Completely unsurprising that Nikki was eliminated. Considering I spent most of the premiere night thinking her name was Kelly (and seriously almost typed Kelly while writing this comment), she obviously didn't leave much of an appreciation. Was surprised to see Nancy and Val left to sweat it out until the very end. Is Val's female fanbase not here for him with an older woman? 

eta: And while Bobby's mania totally freaked me the hell out on Monday night, I have to say, he endeared himself to me when he said that listen, he knows he will never be the best dancer in the competition but no one is going to have as much fun as him. Speaking of him, I'm really tired of Sharna's "shocked" reaction to being safe. Sure Bobby's scores weren't amazing but he was in the middle of the pack and isn't dude like a huge country radio personality? Yeah he wasn't getting eliminated. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

The kids don’t have a choice.  And that poor Alana/Honey boo boo has been exploited most of her life.  

Nice guy Joe has now been on three reality shows, so the aw shucks nice guy going to Nonnas for Sunday gravy act is suspect.

Honey Boo Boo and the Palin kid have been on several reality shows already. All because their trashy moms keep resetting their fifteen minutes of fame.

Haven't all the "aw shucks" dopes on this show been the same? Except for Gilles...I loved him (the first time around before fame went to his head).

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mu Shu said:

I know Nonna, and they don't go to her house, they go to one of her five daughters houses.  

• Love 1

Unfortunately, I was not surprised that Joe was called safe, what with all of the Bachelor franchise fans behind him. I guess it doesn't matter to them that his dance was horrible. He should have at least been one of the ones in jeopardy. <shrug>

Way too much of the Juniors on this episode. I was thinking about maybe giving it a chance, but not after what I just watched.

Yay, John! I hope he sticks around for at least a few more weeks, unless he doesn't improve at all. I think he can do better, though.

I was surprised that Alexis was in jeopardy. I thought she had one of the better dances the first night.

Both Mary Lou and Nancy danced better tonight, but as other people have mentioned-what is up with Nancy's costumes?

Since Joe didn't get the boot, I'm ok with Nikki being sent home.

I don't think I like first-week eliminations. 

For all of those who are upset with Bruno's judging of Danelle--Bruno is Bruno. I don't think he CAN stop critiquing that way, and maybe Danelle can't see it, but Artem can. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

Was surprised to see Nancy and Val left to sweat it out until the very end. Is Val's female fanbase not here for him with an older woman? 

From what I've seen on his fan sites, no, they're very upset he's being "wasted" on Nancy. I wonder how many of them are voting for Jenna and the Bachelor dude since voting is apparently interchangeable when it involves members of the fam.

15 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

From what I've seen on his fan sites, no, they're very upset he's being "wasted" on Nancy. I wonder how many of them are voting for Jenna and the Bachelor dude since voting is apparently interchangeable when it involves members of the fam.

Unless Tom said they were the actual bottom two couples, it doesn’t mean Nancy actually was next in line for elimination. Maybe she was, but for instance I don’t think they would have made Danielle sweat it out week one.  Or maybe the show was just trying to rally up some more support for Nancy.

As for Val, I think it depends what subset of fans you are looking at.  The older or middle aged ones I think don’t care that he’s paired with her. Probably because they are also the ones familiar with her. It’s the younger Val fans who either can’t stand it when he doesn’t have a contender or scoff at any contestant over the age of 45.  I’ve definitely seen sentiment that he should have been paired with Tinashe. 

The only good thing to me is I feel like Val has settled down some and is just taking this season for what it is.  They seem to get along. He knows she’s not going to win. 

And I HATE having to pay Val a compliment but I also appreciated that he truly made Nancy do a lot of choreography and that his first week routines were full of content. Also his routine last night didn’t just seem to be a recycled version of the one from the night before.

• Love 10
19 hours ago, Uke said:

Mary Lou/Sasha:  an awkward start, she's a powerhouse but not naturally graceful, she needs to get those hips moving.  Was that even a cha cha?

With bilateral hip replacements anything require her to move those hips will be difficult

• Love 1

The only child I would consider a star (although I don't know his name) is the young boy from blackish.  He had a big smile the whole time last night and seemed excited to be there.  I was just sad to see Honey Boo Boo, and the fact that they are referencing her that way instead of by her real name.  I have never watched a show with her on it, but I do know who she is.  This will be a much bigger platform than anything else in which she has participated and I'm concerned for her that she'll be body shamed on social media.

I just wish some parents would let their children be children and quit trying to achieve fame or notoriety through their children.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Did I just miss it or did the Palin kid not get introduced during that Juniors performance last night? 

I didn’t even notice but in the soundbite clips they posted with the Jrs. cast, unsurprisingly I think the Palin kid wanted to be anyone else.  So I could have seen him not wanting to take part. Also based on what Jenna and her neice said, it sounded like the kid threw full blown tantrums during rehearsals.  

• Love 2

I don’t think Val is in anyway invested in this season, he seems far more invested in Jrs where he is a judge and probably earning a good wage. It’s no doubt very important to him financially that Jrs is a success. He knows he has no chance of winning this season so like his brother when he couldn’t be bothered, is just going through the motions. The show probably want him around as long as possible though, hence having them up as the bottom two in jeopardy.

spanana I 200% cosign with the sentiments in your post before your most recent post. There was literally nothing overtly sexualized in what the kids portrayed last night and what they will most likely do throughout the junior edition (No rumbas and Argentine tangos to be found).

If anything they were playing up the goofy or cheesier side of ballroom dance by making ridiculous faces (the kid pro dancers not so much the kid "stars"). Again, I will tune in more for the mentor-mentee dynamics....but to suggest that a kids ballroom dancing show is somehow inappropriate content (most of these kids desperately want to or at least could see themselves on DWTS in 2029 after all) just doesn't fly.

• Love 6
53 minutes ago, TVbitch said:

Was that Robert, the SYTYCD allstar in the troupe? If so, I hope he progresses to become a pro. 

Is Robert the Shannon-esque looking guy? If yes, I'll cosign getting him to be a pro. He can replace Gleb.

I'd also like to promote the Ryan Gosling lookalike. He can replace Val.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, spanana said:

As for Val, I think it depends what subset of fans you are looking at.  The older or middle aged ones I think don’t care that he’s paired with her. Probably because they are also the ones familiar with her. It’s the younger Val fans who either can’t stand it when he doesn’t have a contender or scoff at any contestant over the age of 45.  I’ve definitely seen sentiment that he should have been paired with Tinashe. 

Well you can put me in a camp that fully believes that the reason Val didn't get Tinashe is because Jenna would have an absolute FIT if Val got her and there was any hint of flirtation going on. Trust and believe that Val had a "type" before he finally claimed Jenna and Tinashe definitely fits it... 

• Love 2
22 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I was most likely not going to watch the kids' version anyway, but Honey Boo-Boo and Tripp Palin cemented it for me.

The very thought of another juniors show sent me running.  The DWTS producers learned nothing from SYTYCD's kiddie season did they?  BTW, as others have said, why the hell is Mackenzie Zeigler a contestant and not a "pro". More to the point, why is she on this show at all.  I suspect that her scheming mother, Melissa is behind this.

• Love 3

I'm kind of enjoying Val this season. He's handling Nancy really well and since I'm sure he knows she's not winning he's just doing the best he can and isn't being  super competitive.

I follow Jordan Fisher on Instagram and I gotta say while I really have no desire to watch this Juniors edition, his excitement for these kids and how proud he is talking about the show is infectious. I get the feeling he not only hosted but took these kids under his wing.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, howmanywords said:

I'm kind of enjoying Val this season. He's handling Nancy really well and since I'm sure he knows she's not winning he's just doing the best he can and isn't being  super competitive.

I follow Jordan Fisher on Instagram and I gotta say while I really have no desire to watch this Juniors edition, his excitement for these kids and how proud he is talking about the show is infectious. I get the feeling he not only hosted but took these kids under his wing.

Same. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm enjoying Val, but I do think he's been handling Nancy really well so far.  You can tell Val has dialed himself back on the social media, but I also think that is partly because unlike a Normani or Laurie or etc. whose fans are younger and live on social media, that is not where Nancy's fans are at.  It's a different beast, especially since she wasn't on social media until two minutes ago.  But IMO he did as good a job as any pro was going to do with her for week one and didn't just see the early 50's lady and give her cutesy choreo lite.  They seem like they get along well and I don't think he's faking that he likes her.   I just think Val knows he's not winning and is therefore in it for the ride for as long as that lasts, but I don't think he's phoning it in either.

I did notice Nancy suddenly appeared on twitter today and was conversing with people for the first time.  I don't know if somebody is running her account for her, but I bet after last night somebody talked up that she needed to make an effort on the social media angle to rally up support.

I also agree with the part about Jrs. While I have had mixed feelings on it since it was announced, the cutest part is the bonds that have seemingly formed between the adults on set (Jordan, the mentors) and the kids.  Even after the show last night, most of the kids were out at some restaurant with a lot of the pros watching DWTS on tv.  The adult pros are just so openly proud of their kids and its cute.  Also that Aryton kid (may be misspelling his name) IMO is a star.   Also Akash, Witney's little celeb, is freaking adorable.  He's the spelling bee kid.

I did notice that they introduced Mackenzie Ziegler as a singer and made not a mention of her main claim to fame as you know, a dancer on Dance Moms.  And it is a bit weird in the sense that she was known because of Dance Moms and is a celeb, but little Eliana was also on Dance Moms and is cast as a pro.  That said, as a person that hates to admit that she watched far too many years of Dance Moms, Mack was never that great of a dancer.  Most of the kids on Dance Moms, at least in the original incarnation before Abby started bringing in other trained kids, were not as great as the show made them out to be.  Mack IMO didn't have the real training and she mostly did cutesy acro stuff.  Eliana is a much more trained dancer.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 5
19 minutes ago, spanana said:

I just think Val knows he's not winning and is therefore in it for the ride for as long as that lasts, but I don't think he's phoning it in either.

Some of the other pros (past and present) should take notes.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, PTVjones said:

Well you can put me in a camp that fully believes that the reason Val didn't get Tinashe is because Jenna would have an absolute FIT if Val got her and there was any hint of flirtation going on. Trust and believe that Val had a "type" before he finally claimed Jenna and Tinashe definitely fits it... 

Well he does do the white boy boogie...and when he does it all the girls stick to him.  #obscureValFacts

• Love 1

I've got to give John a little love here--he was my first celebrity crush(yes, I'm old :) ). He is my underdog pick to go farther than you would expect, and he just seems to be a genuinely good guy. His first dance was a little rough, admittedly, but I think he will show improvement in the coming weeks. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, spanana said:

I didn’t even notice but in the soundbite clips they posted with the Jrs. cast, unsurprisingly I think the Palin kid wanted to be anyone else.  So I could have seen him not wanting to take part. Also based on what Jenna and her neice said, it sounded like the kid threw full blown tantrums during rehearsals.  

Where did Jenna and Hailey say that?  It wouldn't surprise me, his mom taught him gay slurs at a young age.  

• Love 1
17 hours ago, TeeMo said:

Did I just miss it or did the Palin kid not get introduced during that Juniors performance last night? 

You didn’t miss it.  I rewound the intros to check and he wasn’t there. 

• Love 3

From what I saw of the Jr's you could not pay me to watch (okay, you could pay me but it would have to be a BUNCH of money)...

No offense to Bachelor Nation but that Grocery Store guy is a Z list celebrity even for Bachelor alum

LOL at Jenna's over exaggerated, fake surprise face when she and the Grocery Store bagger guy were called safe - I am guessing she is OTT in everything she does?

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, McManda said:

Is Robert the Shannon-esque looking guy? If yes, I'll cosign getting him to be a pro. He can replace Gleb.

I'd also like to promote the Ryan Gosling lookalike. He can replace Val.

I don't think I've seen him on DWTS, but I was just randomly watching the latest SYTYCD (got through halfway and remembered why I hated the live shows lol, I guess i'll stick to auditions and thinning the herd weeks from now on)

But during the academy week there was an "all-star" named Paul ( I think). I don't think I watched his season, as he didn't look familiar. But DAMN he is a good ballroom dancer. Couldn't take my eyes off him.

I'll sign the petition do bring him on the show.