Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: A High-Pitched Buzz and Training Wheels

• Start Topic

I'm finally getting caught up on my shows and I loved this episode. I have to say though, the physical changes in Georgie threw me for a loop. Sheldon and Missy are starting to take on a more mature look as well, but it's not quite as obvious.

I agree they can probably combine S1 and S2 into one school year, but stretching it out beyond that isn't going to work.

As for the episode I loved Sheldon's foray into the "working world" and how it slowly turned him into a cranky adult. I nearly died from laughter when he told off the kid in homeroom who made fun of his training wheels. 

Missy continues to be adorable and the hug between her and Sheldon was a touching moment. 

• Love 4
On 9/25/2018 at 9:51 AM, Yeah No said:

I love this show and how it's usually pretty spot-on with the realism from that era, but I have two minor nitpicks having been an adult in that time frame - First is that for $200 they could have probably not paid much more and gotten a whole new fridge.  The one they have wasn't new even by that era's standards and probably not worth spending that much on.  Second is that cash registers generally didn't tell you what change to give.  Not quite yet, anyway.  Maybe at some new McDonald's, but not at a typical gas station.  Hah, I worked at a gas station mini mart back then and still counted change.

There's obviously more than a little Sheldon in me.  I was always the one annoyed by sounds and smells no one else noticed!

I agree, but I wish they would have put a scene in where Shelley's mom offers to drive him and he declines based on it being too easy or taking away from the "penance" aspect of doing the job.

I worked at a magazine/cigarette stand in a mall in 1984, and the old-school register would tell us the change - that is, if it was used correctly, i.e, if the amount that the customer gave us was entered. For some weird reason, the owner taught everyone to just hit enter as if the customer gave us the exact amount, and to figure out the change in our heads. When I showed one of the other employees how the register actually worked, she was surprised - but we all just kept on doing it the other way. 

I'm so glad that Sheldon had to accept the consequences of his actions. It's been too strong a pattern that Sheldon does something thoughtless, is supposedly punished but is then let off. But George (Sr) didn't back down and (I guess?) was paid back in full, though I'm not sure what Billy was getting out of the deal. Did Sheldon pull a Tom Sawyer "Painting the Fence" trick on him?

Also loved all the family supporting Sheldon - Missy's hug was so sweet ("I can't enjoy your pain if you cry!") and even dad was fairly sympathetic when he was explaining how his day sucked but he didn't take it out on his family. And Sheldon learnt a valuable lesson about not taking his frustrations out on those who don't deserve it, so he's grown and become a better, bigger person from now on!

On ‎25‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

I don't know anyone who has shared a bedroom with a sibling of the opposite sex, even in families that had big families and not big houses.

I can answer that! I did. I don't know at what age it stopped (pre-school age, I think) but me & my sister had bunk beds for a while. And there were only two of us children (though we also had a lodger).

On 11/8/2018 at 8:40 PM, John Potts said:

I don't know anyone who has shared a bedroom with a sibling of the opposite sex, even in families that had big families and not big houses.

Almost any brother/sister set who grew up in a 2 bedroom apartment in NYC with only one working parent.  I can think of two sets-one from 30+ years ago, and a current one.  Both shared until the older sibling went to college.  A set of twins (from 60+ years ago) split up after the father died when the kids were 10 and the daughter moved into the mother's room. 3 bedroom apartments are too expensive for many families. 

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Almost any brother/sister set who grew up in a 2 bedroom apartment in NYC with only one working parent.  I can think of two sets-one from 30+ years ago, and a current one.  Both shared until the older sibling went to college.  A set of twins (from 60+ years ago) split up after the father died when the kids were 10 and the daughter moved into the mother's room . 3 bedroom apartments are too expensive for many families. 

They were too expensive for my family and both my parents worked.  I was an only child in the '60s but I didn't know any siblings growing up that DIDN'T share a bedroom in NYC.

• Love 1