Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

On 10/2/2018 at 4:23 PM, nkotb said:

This is morbid, but what would've been really awesome is if Jon, AKA Berger from Sex & the City, had simply left a post-it note that said "I'm sorry, I can't, don't hate me."

On-topic, I'm all-in for David Giuntoli. I hate that he's such a cad, but he sure is easy on the eyes.

Hahaha.  Thanks for the unexpected laugh.    He broke up with them on a post it.

On a side note, my father committed suicide, so I can relate to the subject matter, but I can appreciate the comic relief in such a heavy topic.   Thanks for posting!

• Love 4
On 10/3/2018 at 11:07 PM, AllyCat said:

Hahaha.  Thanks for the unexpected laugh.    He broke up with them on a post it.

On a side note, my father committed suicide, so I can relate to the subject matter, but I can appreciate the comic relief in such a heavy topic.   Thanks for posting!

I'm so sorry to hear that, @AllyCat. I hope I wasn't insensitive, I'll just never see Ron Livingston, who in no way looks like a "Ron", & not see Berger. It was just a weirdo segue. 

ETA: Glad to give you a laugh, though. 

Edited by nkotb
  • Love 1

HazelEyes4325 said:

This reminds me of another thing I do not understand.  When John killed himself, why was Gary the first person anyone called?  Either the police or Ashley made the call.  I would assume that the police would call Delilah, not Gary.  If it was Ashley, why would she call Gary?  I would hope that there is actually a reason for this and not just a convenient plot device.

I'm betting that Gary dated Ashley in the past (seems in character for him, anyway), and so Ashley called Gary, maybe almost reflexively, because she knows him the best out of everyone in the group. 

Edited by echo.Echo.ECHO
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2018 at 11:08 AM, snarkylady said:

I tuned in because I love James Roday and want anything he's in to be a hit.  Watched the whole thing (that's progress for me since I didn't make it through the "This i s Us" pilot and I have similar feelings for Milo Ventimiglia).  Regarding the Gary character, it's going to take a bit of work for me to see Gary and not Shawn Spencer.  When the group was in Jon's office ostensibly looking for tickets and somberly taking the whole scene in I was visualizing him putting his hand to his forehead and saying "wait, I'm sensing something".

And for me, I didn't even realize it was him for a very long time. So I'm not seeing Shawn Spencer at all.

On 9/30/2018 at 10:28 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah. The way this show was previewed to me was that these four guys were best friends. They met in an elevator that they were trapped in and became best frineds, at least from the preview I saw.

But from the episode they aren’t close at all. Hell, Eddie doesn’t seem like he considers John his friend. Especially when he’s such a good liar about the affair with johns wife and making that nice eulogy and hours later going to his dead’s friend wife and wondering why she’s not wanting to professor her love. Eddie seems kind of like a psychopath right now. I was going to say sociopath but sociopaths have seen empathy. Eddie was showing next to none in his final scene. 

And yet, having affairs within your social circle is not a rare thing. I knew a man whose wife and best friend were having an affair. After the divorce, he and the guy reconciled and became best friends again.

It certainly doesn't speak well of him, and he's a real asshole, but I don't think it means he didn't think Jon was his friend.

I'm glad that I cut the cable this summer - so I didn't hear any of the marketing for the show and didn't have any expectations about what it would be. I liked the pilot - and while there certainly are holes and questions, that's not unusual for a pilot episode. I also don't tend to compare shows, so it will succeed or fail based on its own merits for me.

• Love 5

Holy fuck.  Maybe I'm just dense, but I did not see the Delilah / Eddie affair coming.

I do not buy that anyone of these folks would be up for a hockey game or heartwarming tears-and-laughter talks the night of the funeral.  For the guy who very unexpectedly and very traumatically just died.  They would still be shellshocked.  Like, I can see that they want to move things along and also not beat us over the head with the serious theme  ... but this was a bit much.  Like, why was Delilah not spending time with her kids the night of the funeral?!   Wouldn't she be afraid to leave their side just to go show her friend the new restaurant space?!  Perhaps the poor kids were so sad and exhausted they went to bed early, but I think that was just unrealistic writing.

Maggie ... seriously spent the entire day and night at the funeral for a complete stranger?  Nobody is that nice of a date!  

Slightly disappointed that they didn't take longer for Rome to reveal his near-suicide to his friends.  I feel they could have played that out a bit longer as a secret.  Although, I guess he still has to struggle over whether / what to tell his wife.  Like, the poor guy is already depressed, now he has another reason to feel sad on top of that -- but now he feels extra nervous about telling her because he now knows how terribly Jon's suicide has made everyone feel.  

As a New Englander, I'm going to lose my mind a little every time they go to a hockey game, aren't I?  Nowhere in The Garden looks anything like the, lol.

But overall, I really liked it.  I like Grace Park, so I really hope they do more with her character!

• Love 3
On 9/27/2018 at 5:31 PM, krankydoodle said:

Gary was sometimes obnoxious, but the scene at the game where he shared his fears and supported Rome was nice. The only ones I actually like so far are Rome and Regina. I don't think anyone's mentioned when Rome is about to take the pills, but can't bring himself to drink tap water after hearing the news report on Flint. I've been near the brink before and know my thinking was similarly disordered, so I liked that detail. 

I’m way behind on commenting mainly because I just found this on Hulu and only decided to watch because I miss Grimm and thought it would be interesting to see David Guintoli in a different type of role without Bitsie Tulloch. I was surprised to see so many actors I recognized and liked in other series: Grace Park (Hawaii Five-O), Allison Miller (Kings), Christina Moses (Nikita), Ron Livingston (Sex in the City). I’m not sure if I’m going to stick with the show since it seems to be a soap opera on steroids, but we’ll see. 

That said, I agree that Gary was obnoxious a lot and Roman’s suicide attempt hit all the right notes.

On 9/27/2018 at 7:44 PM, anniebird said:

What is the problem so many of you have with Grace Park?

No problem here. I’m glad to see she’s got another series regular gig.

On 9/27/2018 at 8:51 PM, ParadoxLost said:

There is a sex cult called NXIVM that she is/was (?) a longstanding member of. She did a recruitment videos, etc. for them.

Grace Park hasn't been arrested or accused of anything but she hasn't uttered a word against them.  

If you want to know more, head over the Smallville forum.

The Smallville forum is still a thing?  

On 9/29/2018 at 2:40 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Seriously, why does David Giuntoli, of all the actors, have to be the lying dickbag? 

Because he’s getting a regular paycheck? He thought the role would be a challenge? 

On 9/29/2018 at 7:30 PM, sashayshante said:

The actress playing Delilah (Jaqueline!) was in that dreadful USA Network show Satisfaction. (So much promise. Boy did they fuck that up.) I disliked her there for the same reason I dislike her here - she has one speed: unfulfilled wife.  No emotion. No cadence to her voice.

This comment cracked me up.

On 9/29/2018 at 8:17 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

This is not at all to minimize a suicide attempt, but when I saw that with the Brita pitcher, I actually said, "I feel your pain!"  Seriously, why is it so hard for the other members of my family to refill that thing?

LOL. IKR?

On 9/29/2018 at 9:29 PM, Scarlett45 said:

@Empress1 I concur with what you said regarding therapy and the Black community.

This may be true in some corners, but not all. I know plenty of black people who believe in getting help for mental disorders including therapy and medication.

On 10/2/2018 at 5:16 PM, tennisgurl said:

I love David Giuntoli from his Grimm days, and, yes, he is so very attractive and very likable. Its making it hard for me to hate him. I keep being like "yeah, but his last girlfriend turned into a hexinbeast and died and then came back and it was really weird, he has been through a lot..."

Huh, Nick doesn’t cross my mind when I’m evaluating Eddie and I’m still feeling all of these characters out.

Edited by taurusrose
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, taurusrose said:

Because he’s getting a regular paycheck? He thought the role would be a challenge? 

(snip)

Huh, Nick doesn’t cross my mind when I’m evaluating Eddie and I’m still feeling all of these characters out.

Talking about David Giuntoli here and why he took this role.  I heard an interview with him recently where he said that his #1 criteria for his post-Grimm roles were that they were absolutely nothing like Nick.  I do think, on that count, he succeeded here.

I also don't blame him--Nick, like most of the characters in that show, were incredibly one-note in the way they were written and it seemed like the actors were all directed to perform rather superficially, for lack of a better word.  (As I said upthread a while ago, I think nearly every actor on that show is a much better actor than they seem when watching Grimm).  Eddie Saville may be incredibly frustrating to watch, but I do think he's probably a fun challenge to play and I'm glad that Giuntoli found something that lets him stretch his wings a bit and show off.

On 11/24/2018 at 1:08 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

Talking about David Giuntoli here and why he took this role.  I heard an interview with him recently where he said that his #1 criteria for his post-Grimm roles were that they were absolutely nothing like Nick.  I do think, on that count, he succeeded here.

I also don't blame him--Nick, like most of the characters in that show, were incredibly one-note in the way they were written and it seemed like the actors were all directed to perform rather superficially, for lack of a better word.  (As I said upthread a while ago, I think nearly every actor on that show is a much better actor than they seem when watching Grimm).  Eddie Saville may be incredibly frustrating to watch, but I do think he's probably a fun challenge to play and I'm glad that Giuntoli found something that lets him stretch his wings a bit and show off.

I totally get that reasoning. Six years is a long time to play the same character, especially one like Nick who was basically the same guy for the entire run of the show. I think a lot of actors want to play someone very different after a long term role. Eddie is a selfish jerk, but he's definitely not Nick, so I can see how this would be an interesting role for him as an actor.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2018 at 1:23 PM, nkotb said:

This is morbid, but what would've been really awesome is if Jon, AKA Berger from Sex & the City, had simply left a post-it note that said "I'm sorry, I can't, don't hate me."

On-topic, I'm all-in for David Giuntoli. I hate that he's such a cad, but he sure is easy on the eyes.

I'm just starting to watch this show so pardon me for resurrecting an old thread...

I love you for this comment!

The entire time I was watching flashbacks of "Berger" with Gary wearing the baseball hat, I just wanted so HARD for Berger to say, "Nice hat!"  

I'm going to need more Berger in this show because I'm finding all of these people to be a self-absorbed bunch of insufferable twats.

Now I'm back to play catch up.  

• Love 1

I finally decided to binge this show on Hulu. I like most of the actors but I find the plot to be completely unbelievable. These random four guys just happen to meet and become friends because they were stuck in an elevator? And they forced their wives to become friends too? Did none of them have lives or friends before they met? Seriously, what happened to all the people in their lives before the elevator? Now their entire lives are each other. Unrealistic to say the least.

Also, we learn from Rome's video eulogy that Jon was 50. In the next episode we learn Gary is turning 35. I don't know a lot of male friend groups with that kind of age disparity. It's just bizarre.

And the way Maggie is introduced into the friend group through a funeral and she never leaves is utterly absurd.

And no, guys don't cry and hug each other and have emotional breakthroughs in a hockey arena.

• Love 1

Re-watched this last week when the first couple of episodes were on.  Was reminded that the pilot intrigued me, though I was surprised (again?  Can't recall what I thought at the beginning)  the secretary/assistant felt bold enough to hide the suicide note.

Delilah's hair is stupid and awful.  And Delilah and Eddie are stupid and awful.  Eight is better than all of them combined.

• Love 1