Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Not only did he say ihe was with a student at the time, he effortlessly embellished the lie.  Dude can lie on a dime.

I thought he said he was with a student’s mom not a student which given John and Delialah’s daughter plays the guitar I actually took to be the truth and that he is her guitar teacher.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I thought he said he was with a student’s mom not a student which given John and Katherine’s daughter plays the guitar I actually took to be the truth and that he is her guitar teacher.

(Delilah was John's wife, not Katherine)

I thought the lesson was for one of John's kids, too...until the scene when Eddie was in bed with Delilah and he said the kid whose lesson it was had to cancel because he (she?) had pink eye, which is how he had time to slip off to a hotel with Delilah.

4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I thought he said he was with a student’s mom not a student which given John and Katherine’s daughter plays the guitar I actually took to be the truth and that he is her guitar teacher.

In one of the hockey game videos Eddie mentions that Jon still owes him for his daughters lessons. 

Edited by Guest
39 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

No I remember being impressed he went into this whole lie right off the cuff.  Said he was teaching a regular Monday student at the time and the phone went off while the kid was playing.  Then he riffed on how he blamed the kids' parents but it turned out to be his own phone so he turned it off.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

My guess is that Eddie is just an overgrown manchild who can't deal with the fact that he is not "the star." 

Marry me. I thought the exact same thing, He resents that he had to grow up and accept he'll never be that douchey but crazy hot lead singer of Third Eye Blind. Now he resents his wife -who has all the weight on her shoulders to support the family - and like the child he is, he acts out.

The actress playing Delilah (Jaqueline!) was in that dreadful USA Network show Satisfaction. (So much promise. Boy did they fuck that up.) I disliked her there for the same reason I dislike her here - she has one speed: unfulfilled wife.  No emotion. No cadence to her voice.

I liked this show more than I thought I would.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Mileage varies. I think you have pinpointed, @Dani, why I might like the show. I need comic relief in my dramas.

I absolutely agree with you about dramas needing comic relief. One of the best moments in the pilot was Rome seeing the news report on tap water and then filing up the Brita pitcher. It was the perfect use of humor in a very serious moment and it gives me hope that the show can be better written. The more I think about the more I feel that the actual suicide should have been pushed back until later in the episode. It would have given the writers a chance to actually show us the relationships before the drama started. 

16 minutes ago, Dani said:

I absolutely agree with you about dramas needing comic relief. One of the best moments in the pilot was Rome seeing the news report on tap water and then filing up the Brita pitcher. It was the perfect use of humor in a very serious moment and it gives me hope that the show can be better written. The more I think about the more I feel that the actual suicide should have been pushed back until later in the episode. It would have given the writers a chance to actually show us the relationships before the drama started. 

This is not at all to minimize a suicide attempt, but when I saw that with the Brita pitcher, I actually said, "I feel your pain!"  Seriously, why is it so hard for the other members of my family to refill that thing?

Anyway, back to the idea of dramas needing comic relief.  While I agree with that, I don't think it was always well-executed in this.  Admittedly, one of the funniest parts for me was when Eddie was telling the guys he's in love with someone who is not his wife and the random Bruins guy interrupts and says, "I love beer.  Can I cut ahead of you?" Not only was it very true to my Boston experience (I lived there for three very long years), but it also sort of pointed out the absurdity of the situation.  I also thought Gary's "I do not want to be here!" declaration to Delilah was a brilliant moment.  However, beyond those, it frequently felt like the comedy was sort shoe-horned in here, and that didn't work for me..

• Love 5
On 9/28/2018 at 4:59 AM, Duke2801 said:

And yeah, pretty sure that on the evening of their relatively young fathers funeral, most sane woman wouldn’t leave their kids to their own devices to go off having an adventure with a girlfriend and... some rando woman.

Yeah, the whole bonding session round the firepit seemed like it took place after a minor breakup, not the suicide of a husband and father. Where were their family members, not to mention kids? 

The other thing that kept confusing me was just the "look" of the former rock and roller. He seemed more like an accountant instead of a musician. Damn it, make him a little scruffy or something... I need my stereotypes until I get to know the characters!

• Love 9
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

This is not at all to minimize a suicide attempt, but when I saw that with the Brita pitcher, I actually said, "I feel your pain!"  Seriously, why is it so hard for the other members of my family to refill that thing?

Anyway, back to the idea of dramas needing comic relief.  While I agree with that, I don't think it was always well-executed in this.  Admittedly, one of the funniest parts for me was when Eddie was telling the guys he's in love with someone who is not his wife and the random Bruins guy interrupts and says, "I love beer.  Can I cut ahead of you?" Not only was it very true to my Boston experience (I lived there for three very long years), but it also sort of pointed out the absurdity of the situation.  I also thought Gary's "I do not want to be here!" declaration to Delilah was a brilliant moment.  However, beyond those, it frequently felt like the comedy was sort shoe-horned in here, and that didn't work for me..

I felt the same way. When done right humor can add to the emotional resonance of a scene but in this episode most of the time it actually took away from it. I couldn't cry during the daughter's song because I was too distracted by the Gary's "If she plays something by Bruno Mars, I will burn this place down."

Edited by Guest

I’ve been happily liking the posts that said guys don’t talk to each other that way and especially not at sporting events. Certainly that was my thought when I watched the show alone the other night. But I just rewatched with my husband and he thought that was “very realistic”.  His take was that, while men don’t use talking as their main activity (except when forced to do so by women), they do talk during other activities, in fact, ideally at sporting events when they sit side by side and don’t have to look at each other directly.  Who knew?

• Love 19

Hi everyone. I did like the pilot, but I don’t know if the show will last, networks are quick to cancel things these days. 

@Empress1 I concur with what you said regarding therapy and the Black community.

I truly did not want Eddie to start drinking again, it wouldn’t be fair to his son.

I want to see more shows about adult friendship. It’s especially rare to see male intimacy on screen, so I want the show to succeed if it’s any good. 

34 minutes ago, Trillian said:

I’ve been happily liking the posts that said guys don’t talk to each other that way and especially not at sporting events. Certainly that was my thought when I watched the show alone the other night. But I just rewatched with my husband and he thought that was “very realistic”.  His take was that, while men don’t use talking as their main activity (except when forced to do so by women), they do talk during other activities, in fact, ideally at sporting events when they sit side by side and don’t have to look at each other directly.  Who knew?

I know very little about men but I did know this! Men tend to bond through going through things together, and when they converse they look OUT towards the world! (I feel so aware right now). 

My best male friend is my movie/travel companion these days (because we are both without children and unpartnered, I’m permanently childfree) and he is distinctly an “activity friend” which makes him great for movies and traveling. Not that we don’t talk about something really important if it comes up, but I don’t “shoot the shit” and send him random texts like I do my female friends. So this makes sense to me. 

• Love 8
On 9/27/2018 at 1:31 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Something about this show just felt off to me. I just couldn’t get into it. Also yeah this is us pulls me in and makes me feel many things. This for some reason didn’t do any of that.

Agreed. It came off as very flat to me. I’m not invested in solving any of the mysteries the pilot brought up. 

On 9/27/2018 at 4:24 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah, it did feel very stilled and awkward and I constantly felt like the writers were like “and this is what will make you cry”. And just.. no.

Also it just felt not Genuine. It’s odd to come to these boards and see that almost everyone else here  felt completely different. 

I’ll stick around. The subject matter is somewhat close to me, and even depression itself is such a heavy handed topic that often on tv shows seems to be a throwaway part of a characters story and here it’ll be a central point.

I do like that they were speaking of depression. I wonder if that will continue to come up as often as it did this time. Maybe Rome will start opening up with his wife?

On 9/27/2018 at 5:52 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah, the ending scene at the door makes it hard for me to like Eddie at all. Sorry but he didn’t show any remorse. “Tell me you don’t love me” after her husband who killed himselfs funereal. But whatever.

Also Jon totally knew, I think. It just feels kind of odd that he would call Eddie before he killed himself.

Didn’t he leave a voicemail that Eddie never listened to? 

On 9/28/2018 at 10:08 PM, shinystar94 said:

This kind of response is exactly what makes people keep their depression to themselves. 

I have also struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts and my thinking was along those lines too. Maybe that was judgemental of me but when I was thinking of suicide I had a lot less than Rome. Finances were partially why I was depressed. I know money doesn’t solve every problem and rich/well-off people have issues too but my first thought was similar. 

• Love 3
On 9/28/2018 at 7:08 PM, shinystar94 said:

This kind of response is exactly what makes people keep their depression to themselves. 

Someone seriously trying to kill themselves by downing a lethal combo of pills wouldn’t be concerned about “the dangers of tap water”.  Give me a break!

10 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Yes. They showed it was still on his phone so presumably it will come up again. 

Wow, I totally didn’t remember this. I hope it does. 

Again.. I really didn’t like any of the main characters. Except for Eddies wife and I’m not entirely sure she’s a main. Her presence in the pilot was super limited but I already care more about her and want better for her than her husband who wants to sing songs apparently  and be in love with someone and not do much of anything else.

Also... is Eddie prepared to potentially lose all his friends when/if the affair comes out? I mean granted he didn’t seem to be thinking anything concrete in terms of just wanting to be with Delilah in his first scene but yeah. I guess the whole point of this series is tonstate that these four guys considered themselves best friends but clearly weren’t close at all and didn’t know each other at all and weren’t that close.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

But they looked at his phone and saw he called her after his real estate call (that she said was his last call)...but they didn't see that he called Eddie? Or did they and they just meant the last call before Eddie? I'm confused now. Still would think they'd have asked her why he called her, since they seemed suspicious.

No, he didn’t call her at all.  It was just an awkward camera angle/transition.  Gary said “he called you” (and granted he was having a conversation with her at the time), but he looked through her to Eddie.  Then she she turned and looked at Eddie too.  Then Eddie had acknowledged he received the call but ignored it.  Also, later it comes up that Eddie was the last person he called (Delilah and Eddie both acknowledge it).

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, AllyCat said:

No, he didn’t call her at all.  It was just an awkward camera angle/transition.  Gary said “he called you” (and granted he was having a conversation with her at the time), but he looked through her to Eddie.  Then she she turned and looked at Eddie too.  Then Eddie had acknowledged he received the call but ignored it.  Also, later it comes up that Eddie was the last person he called (Delilah and Eddie both acknowledge it).

Ahh, okay. I get it now.

Edited by ams1001
11 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

The reason why everyone thinks Katherine is toxic is that Eddie has told them so.  Nothing we saw in this episode made her seem anything more than a frazzled working mom and that is hardly "toxic."

I think she showed a bit of an unpleasant side when talking to Rome. Katherine mentioned how she did not think the funeral would be an all-day event and acted like it is inconveniencing her busy work schedule. In my opinion that was a very cold thing to say and also something to keep to yourself. Especially considering that she later tells Delilah that Jon was the one person who went out of his way to make her feel apart of the group.

But I guess I can give credit to the fact that she does not operate on fakery and deception like her dear old husband Eddie with his saccharine eulogy. Jon is barely cold in his grave and Eddie can't wait to get with Delilah. 

• Love 12
8 hours ago, ChattyCathyLA said:

On September 28, 2018 at 9:08 PM, shinystar94 said:

Someone seriously trying to kill themselves by downing a lethal combo of pills wouldn’t be concerned about “the dangers of tap water”.  Give me a break!

Actually, they often are. Due to survival instinct, there is documented vacillation between committing suicide and not committing suicide in the moments before suicide attempts that only failed through rescues unforeseen to those attempting suicide.

Anyway, as someone whose colon cancer can only be traced to geographical contaminates including possibly 130-year-old plumbing, I found his bit with the water darkly funny and daily familiar.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Empress Josephine said:

I think she showed a bit of an unpleasant side when talking to Rome. Katherine mentioned how she did not think the funeral would be an all-day event and acted like it is inconveniencing her busy work schedule. In my opinion that was a very cold thing to say and also something to keep to yourself. Especially considering that she later tells Delilah that Jon was the one person who went out of his way to make her feel apart of the group.

But I guess I can give credit to the fact that she does not operate on fakery and deception like her dear old husband Eddie with his saccharine eulogy. Jon is barely cold in his grave and Eddie can't wait to get with Delilah. 

Yes, there was the moment with Rome, but I didn't read it as her being especially callous but rather burned out.  She had just (or was just about) to say that she was swamped at work but she still wanted to give her condolences to Delilah (a moment which, in retrospect, made me dislike Delilah even more).  I think her comment to Rome was thoughtless, but not "cold." 

11 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Also... is Eddie prepared to potentially lose all his friends when/if the affair comes out? I mean granted he didn’t seem to be thinking anything concrete in terms of just wanting to be with Delilah in his first scene but yeah. I guess the whole point of this series is tonstate that these four guys considered themselves best friends but clearly weren’t close at all and didn’t know each other at all and weren’t that close.

I think this might actually be the actual story of the show.  You're right...these aren't bosom buddies with complicated ties between them.  It seems like Eddie and John lived in the same neighborhood but, other than that, they were 4 guys stuck in an elevator who were Bruins fans.  That sort of connection isn't really enough to survive a betrayal like Eddie's. 

I will say that if the show wants to work, they are going to have to start doing something to redeem Eddie very quickly.  Once his affair comes out, there really isn't any reason for Gary and Rome to keep him around--it's not like they are friends with his wife or anything...  And, right now, the show has given us exactly zero reasons to root for Eddie.

• Love 5

I think that I was making some initial misinterpretations.  When Rome was handling all those pills, I thought that he was HIV positive and getting frustrated with his medication regimen and was going to end it. Didn't he have multiple bottles of pills? Is he being treated for something?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Yes, there was the moment with Rome, but I didn't read it as her being especially callous but rather burned out.  She had just (or was just about) to say that she was swamped at work but she still wanted to give her condolences to Delilah (a moment which, in retrospect, made me dislike Delilah even more).  I think her comment to Rome was thoughtless, but not "cold." 

I think this might actually be the actual story of the show.  You're right...these aren't bosom buddies with complicated ties between them.  It seems like Eddie and John lived in the same neighborhood but, other than that, they were 4 guys stuck in an elevator who were Bruins fans.  That sort of connection isn't really enough to survive a betrayal like Eddie's. 

I will say that if the show wants to work, they are going to have to start doing something to redeem Eddie very quickly.  Once his affair comes out, there really isn't any reason for Gary and Rome to keep him around--it's not like they are friends with his wife or anything...  And, right now, the show has given us exactly zero reasons to root for Eddie.

Yeah. The way this show was previewed to me was that these four guys were best friends. They met in an elevator that they were trapped in and became best frineds, at least from the preview I saw.

But from the episode they aren’t close at all. Hell, Eddie doesn’t seem like he considers John his friend. Especially when he’s such a good liar about the affair with johns wife and making that nice eulogy and hours later going to his dead’s friend wife and wondering why she’s not wanting to professor her love. Eddie seems kind of like a psychopath right now. I was going to say sociopath but sociopaths have seen empathy. Eddie was showing next to none in his final scene. 

• Love 3

Love reading all the thoughts on this show. For me, it's not TIU or Thirtysomething. I really want to like it, but am not drawn in yet. I'm so impressed that so many of you know all the characters names. I got Delilah and Gary, but who knew there was a Rome or Maggie?  The only actors I'm familiar with are Constance Zimmer (hope there is more of her) and Ron Livingston - hey Berger!  Too early to write it off yet, hopefully it will grow on me.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Evenshorter said:

Love reading all the thoughts on this show. For me, it's not TIU or Thirtysomething. I really want to like it, but am not drawn in yet. I'm so impressed that so many of you know all the characters names. I got Delilah and Gary, but who knew there was a Rome or Maggie?  The only actors I'm familiar with are Constance Zimmer (hope there is more of her) and Ron Livingston - hey Berger!  Too early to write it off yet, hopefully it will grow on me.

I got a lot of the names from reading about the show (comments here and a couple articles). I probably wouldn't remember all of them from just watching (I don't recall the kids' names, for instance, and I can't recall Rome's wife's name at the moment.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah. The way this show was previewed to me was that these four guys were best friends. They met in an elevator that they were trapped in and became best frineds, at least from the preview I saw.

But from the episode they aren’t close at all. Hell, Eddie doesn’t seem like he considers John his friend. Especially when he’s such a good liar about the affair with johns wife and making that nice eulogy and hours later going to his dead’s friend wife and wondering why she’s not wanting to professor her love. Eddie seems kind of like a psychopath right now. I was going to say sociopath but sociopaths have seen empathy. Eddie was showing next to none in his final scene. 

This is why I'm really confused about where this show is going.  Honestly, if it were Rome or Gary having an affair with Delilah, it would actually make more sense in terms of trying to keep the group of guys together and testing the bonds of friendship, etc.  But Eddie is already on the outside: He doesn't have anything in common with Gary or Rome, Gary seems to not even like him (I couldn't tell with Rome), there is no wife connection like Rome and Gary have with Regina, and there is really no reason for Gary and Rome to have anything to do with Eddie other than to step into John's place when needed--which will go out the window once (and we know it will happen) Eddie's affair comes to light.

• Love 2

I have struggled with depression and attempted suicide several times. I watched the show out of morbid curiosity. Some aspects rang really true and some were ridiculous. I liked the whole "losing the horizon" analogy.  I joked to my roommate that the PSA was for everyone who hasn't slit their wrists yet - ha! I'm not really emotionally invested/vaguely curious about the characters and the show feels emotionally manipulative. Hard pass on this one for self care reasons and general dislike. 

• Love 9

Unlike most of you, I didn’t know any of the cast, so I just showed up for the emotional manipulation.  I though it would be too much but I really like the characters and the strong performances all around.  

The mystery of why John killed himself is intriguing.  For awhile I thought they’d reveal that he didn’t actually kill himself and that the coworker pushed him, but I feel like that would really cheapen the groundwork they laid for the conversation around depression and suicide. 

• Love 7
18 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I stated in the new and upcoming thread that I was tuning into this show strictly for Shawn Spencer James Roday. And he didn’t disappoint. He’s the only reason I’m watching.

I thought he was the worst part of the show. His dialogue felt really forced, and he seemed to be trying way too hard to be sarcastic. Maybe that's just the way he always is, because I've never seen him in anything else.

Edited by BTBAM310
  • Love 2

I'm not at all ready to dump on Eddie and defend Katherine just based on one episode. Yes, Eddie and Delilah are cheaters and Katherine is being cheated on, but that's pretty much all we know - except that Katherine is also an insensitive, selfish biatch. Her comment about the all day thing and how she was just going to go in and quickly give her condolences to Delilah rubbed me the wrong way. As well as her brusqueness when asking if Eddie was picking up their kid. And while affairs are never, ever a good idea, I'm willing to see how things play out before I start casting stones.

• Love 9

Eddie backed himself into a corner by telling the guys he'd fallen in love with a mother of one of his students. Based on on a post here, that isn't an actual lie -- he said something about Jon owing him for lessons? (which I didn't hear) -- but that's definitely a lie of omission. What's his next move? Did he want to feel out how they'd react to an affair before admitting to who it is? Weird. As noted, he lies readily. But perhaps not very strategically.

I'll give it couple of weeks. The cast is great. A few weeks ago I lost a friend to an unexpected suicide so that's weighing on my mind a lot. And it seems like most of the men around me, including my boyfriend, don't actually have any real friendships or intimacy outside of their SO, and that's terrible. So I'm here for this kind of storytelling. I don't watch many interpersonal dramas, so I appreciated the tension-breaking jokes and the seeds of mystery. I could do without melodramatic love triangles.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I'm not at all ready to dump on Eddie and defend Katherine just based on one episode. Yes, Eddie and Delilah are cheaters and Katherine is being cheated on, but that's pretty much all we know - except that Katherine is also an insensitive, selfish biatch. Her comment about the all day thing and how she was just going to go in and quickly give her condolences to Delilah rubbed me the wrong way. As well as her brusqueness when asking if Eddie was picking up their kid. And while affairs are never, ever a good idea, I'm willing to see how things play out before I start casting stones.

Maybe Katherine knows about Eddie and Delilah. That could make her cranky. Double cranky if she's the primary bread winner.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

I don't necessarily think that in order to dump on Eddie you have to defend Katherine and vice versa.  We have barely seen Katherine so far and, with what we have seen, I just don't see the toxicity.  That could change in the next episode, who knows.  But whether Katherine is a saint or a demon doesn't change the fact that Eddie is dishonest and immature (and we haven't seen enough of Delilah to know anything other than she was cheating on her husband, but that is one heck of a strike against her).  It may very well be that Eddie is a scumbag AND Katherine is a scumbag.  I hope it doesn't happen ONLY because I'm really sick of the ballbuster woman cliche and I'd rather the show not go down that road, but not because I have any strong affection for the character or the actress playing her.

• Love 5
On 9/28/2018 at 11:01 PM, shapeshifter said:

was really disappointed that Ron Livingston's Defying Gravity only lasted one season,

If you're looking for more Livingston roles, he is the lead character on Loudermilk, which starts its second season later this month.

On 9/28/2018 at 11:50 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

For a clinical psychologist, Maggie has a startling lack of boundaries.  What I thought was sort of endearing the first time I watched was downright bizarre the second.  As was mentioned, the whole staying for the strange post-funeral girls night AND taking wine and glasses from someone else's house.  But what stood out to me was her going through Gary's glove box in his car.  I mean, really?

She just had sex with a guy she met five minutes ago. I think looking through the glove box in his car is hardly the wildest thing she did. Also, my sense of it is that she's also depressed, her cancer is back, she's facing possible death, and she wasn't in her "clinician" mode, she was in her "holy hell my life is off the rails" mode.

On 9/29/2018 at 2:34 PM, HazelEyes4325 said:

This reminds me of another thing I do not understand.  When John killed himself, why was Gary the first person anyone called? 

I wondered about that, too. No one seemed surprised about it in-show, so hopefully there's a reason, other than random writing. You'd think they'd notify next of kin.

I really want to know what the assistant is hiding. Unless that folder contained instructions from John about what he wanted her to do (erase those files, call Gary, etc), she's unnecessarily villainous at the moment.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, possibilities said:

really want to know what the assistant is hiding. Unless that folder contained instructions from John about what he wanted her to do (erase those files, call Gary, etc), she's unnecessarily villainous at the moment.

I could have sworn the folder said DELILAH on it in big Sharpie letters.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I really want to know what the assistant is hiding. Unless that folder contained instructions from John about what he wanted her to do (erase those files, call Gary, etc), she's unnecessarily villainous at the moment.

The envelope had Delilah's name on it, so I doubt it was instructions for Ashley.  However, keeping what is basically a suicide note from a (supposedly) grieving widow does seem unnecessarily villainous.

• Love 8

This is morbid, but what would've been really awesome is if Jon, AKA Berger from Sex & the City, had simply left a post-it note that said "I'm sorry, I can't, don't hate me."

On-topic, I'm all-in for David Giuntoli. I hate that he's such a cad, but he sure is easy on the eyes.

• Love 20
3 minutes ago, nkotb said:

This is morbid, but what would've been really awesome is if Jon, AKA Berger from Sex & the City, had simply left a post-it note that said "I'm sorry, I can't, don't hate me."

Or maybe "I'm just not that into you." /smirk

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, nkotb said:

On-topic, I'm all-in for David Giuntoli. I hate that he's such a cad, but he sure is easy on the eyes.

46 minutes ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Or maybe "I'm just not that into you." /smirk

Haha, was literally just talking about Berger dropping that revelation on Miranda today!

And yes, I always say "Berger!" when I see Ron Livingston. Too bad he turned out to be a jerk, as I really liked him and Carrie together.

I admit, my fondness for David Giuntoli and my love for Grimm (watched every ep first-run) is coloring my lack of hatred for Eddie at the moment. If he turns out to be a son-of-a-bitch, I won't have any problem admitting it, but for now, it's way too soon to tell.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 3
51 minutes ago, nkotb said:

I love David Giuntoli from his Grimm days, and, yes, he is so very attractive and very likable. Its making it hard for me to hate him. I keep being like "yeah, but his last girlfriend turned into a hexinbeast and died and then came back and it was really weird, he has been through a lot..."

• Love 7
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I just noticed that all the episode titles are all in lower case and this makes me irrationally angry.

I guess anything is lower case in the show's font, just like some fonts are all upper case.
Does it make you feel better to know that the titles appear in "title case" on IMDb and in Wikipedia?

ETA: Zap2it is showing the titles all lower case, but abc.go.com is using title case.

Edited by shapeshifter

Ron Livingston will always be Lewis Nixon from Band of Brothers to me. 

I wish it had been Eddie who killed himself.  I’m really not seeing a way they can make me like him at this point. 

Delilah may not be as attracted to Eddie when she’s the one supporting his sorry ass. I can’t believe she lasked the dude she’s screwing deliver the eulogy for her husband, or that hebageeed to do it given the circumstances. That seems rather sociopathic on both their parts to me.  I mean honestly, how did that even go, “I know we were in the afterglow when my husband killed himself, but will you deliver the eulogy?” 

Her asking, “Why didn’t I know?” Maybe because you were too busy planning your next rendezvous with your husband’s friend? 

I feel sorry for Katherine. I hope she’s having an affair with somebody hot. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Does it make you feel better to know that the titles appear in "title case" on IMDb and in Wikipedia?

No because my TiVo is going with the lowercase and that impacts my eyes directly! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Veronica said:

Ron Livingston will always be Lewis Nixon from Band of Brothers to me. 

I wish it had been Eddie who killed himself.  I’m really not seeing a way they can make me like him at this point. 

Delilah may not be as attracted to Eddie when she’s the one supporting his sorry ass. I can’t believe she lasked the dude she’s screwing deliver the eulogy for her husband, or that hebageeed to do it given the circumstances. That seems rather sociopathic on both their parts to me.  I mean honestly, how did that even go, “I know we were in the afterglow when my husband killed himself, but will you deliver the eulogy?” 

Her asking, “Why didn’t I know?” Maybe because you were too busy planning your next rendezvous with your husband’s friend? 

I feel sorry for Katherine. I hope she’s having an affair with somebody hot. 

The more I think about it, the more I think they just really screwed up the whole Eddie/Delilah thing.  First off, as I and others have said, once the affair comes out, Rome and Gary can just drop Eddie and go on with their lives.  Because of that, I think it was a mistake for it to be Eddie who was the one having the affair.  But, if they were so determined to go the Eddie/Delilah route, I think it would have been more successful to do it the other way.  When I say successful, I don't mean it would have made either of the characters more likable (it actually might have made them less likable), but I do think it would have made more sense in the story AND made the whole a little more interesting.  What I think they should have done was start the show with the revelation that Delilah was the one having the affair and then reveal that it was Eddie, instead of vice versa.  Not only would this have provided a more immediate (but possibly incorrect) reason for Jon's suicide, but it would have given us a chance to get to know Eddie outside of the affair.  The first thing we know about this guy is that he's cheating on his wife and everything we find out from then on out is colored by that fact.  

Reading back, I realize that I dump on Eddie a lot.  Part of that is because I am pissed that the one actor I want to watch is playing the character who is just so unlikable.  Part of it is because that I think the show has done itself a disservice with this character--not just with making him such a dislikable manchild, but also how they've screwed their own structure with it.  But I want to be fair--I think Delilah is just as, if not more, despicable here.  I really got the impression that Eddie was nothing more than sort of a fantasy/diversion to her and, frankly, she is just as responsible as he is.  

• Love 4

When we first saw Eddie, he was packing to leave his wife. She comes back home, so he hides all that. What happened after she left that he didn't resume packing???

John went to Harvard and continues to live in Boston, but these three guys he met in an elevator 10 years ago are his best friends, to the point that one of them is the selection to deliver the eulogy? The only Bruins fans he could find? He didn't keep in touch with anyone from college or law school? The only thing I can figure is that everyone else eye-rolled his "everything happens for a reason" ridiculousness and let any friendships fade away.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, smartymarty said:

When we first saw Eddie, he was packing to leave his wife. She comes back home, so he hides all that. What happened after she left that he didn't resume packing???

John went to Harvard and continues to live in Boston, but these three guys he met in an elevator 10 years ago are his best friends, to the point that one of them is the selection to deliver the eulogy? The only Bruins fans he could find? He didn't keep in touch with anyone from college or law school? The only thing I can figure is that everyone else eye-rolled his "everything happens for a reason" ridiculousness and let any friendships fade away.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Honestly, I found Jon to be completely insufferable with all his sage wisdom for everyone.  I get a feeling that we're supposed to find him to be a Saint, but I really wouldn't want him to be my friend based on what we've seen of him.

Perhaps this was just a case of 4 guys who no one could really stand being stuck together.  I mean, I'm liking Gary and Rome as characters, but I can see how they might be alienated as people.  And Eddie is living in perpetual adolescence...

Edited by HazelEyes4325
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, HazelEyes4325 said:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Honestly, I found Jon to be completely insufferable with all his sage wisdom for everyone.  I get a feeling that we're supposed to find him to be a Saint, but I really wouldn't want him to be my friend based on what we've seen of him.

Perhaps this was just a case of 4 guys who no one could really stand being stuck together.  I mean, I'm liking Gary and Rome as characters, but I can see how they might be alienated as people.  And Eddie is living in perpetual adolescence...

I agree that Jon is a lot, bordering on too much from what we've seen so far. Of course, often when someone passes, people talk like they were the Greatest Human Ever. But we are even seeing video evidence that Jon was just AWESOME. I'm firmly in the "we shall see" camp, regarding ALL of the characters.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 6
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I just noticed that all the episode titles are all in lower case and this makes me irrationally angry.

Damn, I just noticed this on the info screen on my TV and I also just finished proofreading a newsletter for my dad so it is especially bugging me, now.