Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I was never that big of a fan of the original show, but my sister (a teen at the time) absolutely loved Tom Selleck.  She's so angry that they've rebooted this show!  I was laughing at her this weekend as she was going off on this show.  She refuses to watch! LOL

The show wasn't too bad, but also not that memorable.  This was a remake of the original pilot, which I remember seeing back in 1980.  I like the emphasis on action (much like the new HF0), and the easy-going friendship between Magnum and Rick was spot-on.  I don't mind a female Higgins, but why have her falling for Magnum already?  The charm of the original Magnum-Higgins friendship was that they disliked each other for quite awhile before eventually learning to respect and admire each other.  This version of Higgins acts my sister did towards Magnum 38 years ago!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

Also I keep reading Peter Lenkov’s planning a legit crossover between H50 & Magnum, at some point; not just having supporting characters like Noelani, Kawika & Kamekona appear in certain episodes. But that’s all they’re saying right now; not talking about specific storylines or airdates or anything.

Look for the crossover during November, February, or May sweeps.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Josette said:

That final scene can be viewed here.  My brother still talks about that episode.

Me too. This was way before the internet and social media so spoilers were rare. Add to that fun-loving hero Magnum doing that in cold blood- and his friends helping him and this being the start of an era where detective shows focussed on characters and growth and continuity- it was a major shock then and still shocks today.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Look for the crossover during November, February, or May sweeps.

Probably not November as they would be filming that now-ish, and there would be PR.  

The pilot crammed in a lot of stuff from the original series, including back stories that we didn't learn about until the fourth season.  

I've been thinking and I believe this pilot sold more on the strength of Lenkov's track record than the actual story.  He's making money for CBS, rebooting H50, saving the MacGyver reboot, running Salvation....  My point is, these shows have gone multiple seasons and are therefore turning a profit, which television networks like.  Also, Lenkov is somehow concurrently running shows filmed in Hawaii, Georgia, and Toronto/Vancouver (Salvation).  So a Magnum reboot, by this showrunner, set in Hawaii where it can share existing production crew and facilities, was probably a no-brainer.  After all, the original MPI sold in large part because the original H50 had ended, and there was all this studio equipment to use.

With the current "shake-up" at the top of CBS, a lot of programming decisions can and probably will change.

• Love 1

I remember gasping out loud at that moment even after all of these years. And with such conflicting feelings. Our hero committing cold-blooded murder but my hatred for Ivan made me cheer as well.

I know it is only early in this program but I somehow cannot imagine having those deep feelings with this iteration. I was totally turned off by the bad acting and the audacity of someone thinking they can remake a Magnum classic without the characters who were so iconic.

• Love 7

Hmm, I have mixed feelings. I loved to watch the original show but I also remember that I kept wondering why Magnum always had to put up with hysterical and idiotic women. Rockford suffered from the same affliction. Being a preadolescent girl that had me slightly worried what those mysterious hormones were about to inflict on my brain once puberty would hit. Took me longer than I would like to admit to realize that  it was simply sh**** writing for female characters (yes, there were exceptions). Anyway, as much as I enjoyed the original show my glasses are not exactly rose-tinted when it comes to its overall merits. And therefore I might be not quite as critical of this reboot as others although I can't say it has outdone itself so far when it comes to the very same issue.

For a pilot that was okay, warts and all. They definitely used the H50-handbook of story-telling, i.e. blow and shoot enough things up and people will forget about plot-logic and characterization. Throw in some past traumas and hints about more to come - I loved Higgins sad trombone face when she heard that Magnum nearly got married once - and you're good. I think it's good enough to survive for at least two seasons but I don't see the potential to become a classic like the original.

Also: not enough Noelani but I keep saying that about H50 as well.

• Love 3

I didn't watch much of the original series. I also didn't watch the original H50, nor have I watched its current reboot. So, coming into this with pretty much no expectations, I liked it for the most part. I think the new Magnum is hot and I think his two cohorts work fine as his buddies who have a particular set of skills. The only character I'm meh about is the new and improved Higgins. Right now it seems like she's only there because the showrunners felt like they needed a regular female character. Perhaps she'll be developed more as the show progresses and she won't just be Magnum's "will they or won't they" love interest.

• Love 1

Hmmm....  Not the best, no, but it may take a while to find legs.  I'll stick around for a while.

How are they going to retcon the H50 cast referencing Magnum PI as an iconic TV show, to the point where they sang the theme song during Kamekona's inaugural helicopter tour?  Probably just ignore it, like it never happened....

Was that really supposed to be Kavika in the auto chop-shop, or is it just that the actor is getting more work?

• Love 1

It was okay. As mentioned, I don't think the lead has the same presence as Tom Selleck, and that presence was what really MADE the character. This guy could be replaced next week, and I doubt I'd notice. 

Also sad they're going for the inevitable love thing between Magnum and Higgens. Seriously -- there can be female character that aren't love interests.

• Love 6

Overall, I enjoyed this episode.  While nobody will ever replace Tom Selleck in my heart, I thought Jay (?) did a good job.  My biggest disappointment is in the new Higgins.  I really felt that she didn't show emotion/facial reactions to things.  I also thought their relationship thawed way too quickly.  Loved the dogs though.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, rainsmom said:

It was okay. As mentioned, I don't think the lead has the same presence as Tom Selleck, and that presence was what really MADE the character. This guy could be replaced next week, and I doubt I'd notice. 

Also sad they're going for the inevitable love thing between Magnum and Higgens. Seriously -- there can be female character that aren't love interests.

Watson, the female lead character, sidekick, etc., in Elementary, has never become Holmes’ romantic interest (I said earlier this year I thought they were a couple & I was quickly corrected), so that doesn’t necessarily have to mean Magnum & Higgins will hook up. Just saying. Also, if they do it’s not like they’re gonna hook up next week or anything.

10 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Watson, the female lead character, sidekick, etc., in Elementary, has never become Holmes’ romantic interest (I said earlier this year I thought they were a couple & I was quickly corrected), so that doesn’t necessarily have to mean Magnum & Higgins will hook up. Just saying. Also, if they do it’s not like they’re gonna hook up next week or anything.

Holmes and Watson are fantastic characters with a fantastic platonic relationship. 

No, they likely won't have Magnum and Higgens get together immediately. They'll drag it out and annoy the fuck out of viewers until getting together doesn't even begin to make sense. (See: Bones and a million other shows.)

• Love 1

To be honest I never seen Jay Hernandez wife as the last time she was with him was last year in the Bad Mom's Christmas premiere. And that it seems that they may be separated, but hope not.  Because on the interviews and for in the red carpet, I never seen him with his wife on his side. And it on Entertainment Tonight the man who plays Rick is roommates with Jay. Or his wife would had moved with him. Just saying. 

1 hour ago, rainsmom said:

Hopefully it will be more of a big brother/little sister type relationship.

35 minutes ago, Passepartout said:

To be honest I never seen Jay Hernandez wife as the last time she was with him was last year in the Bad Mom's Christmas premiere. And that it seems that they may be separated, but hope not.  Because on the interviews and for in the red carpet, I never seen him with his wife on his side. And it on Entertainment Tonight the man who plays Rick is roommates with Jay. Or his wife would had moved with him. Just saying. 

She rarely makes red carpet appearances with him.  They keep their relationship very private.  As far as moving, she might have stayed in LA for a variety of reasons (waiting to see if the show gets picked up, if they have kids, etc). There was a show last year (The Brave) where the cast moved out to the shooting location but families stayed behind. Mike Vogel lives in my hometown with his wife and she stayed behind while they were shooting. 

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I wager it will be more like Moonlighting which dragged out the attraction until they gave in and then the show tanked.  The old, experienced, blustery Higgens was a perfect foil for the goofy side of Magnum.  I predict that Magnum 2.0 is just another boy meets girl, shoot 'em up, blow 'em up, run of the mill action drah-ma.  No style or substance.

• Love 5

Yeah but still that there are rumors for in the last time she was seen with him last year that was November. Saw on social media of his not a lot of pictures of her and that he seems on his IG he likes the bachelor life. But yeah separate or not they are private people.

14 minutes ago, roughing it said:

I would prefer big sister/little brother -- more like the original Higgins/Magnum relationship. She needs to continue riding herd on Thomas.

• Love 3

Since H50 managed to stay away from shipping McGarrett and Kono I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt and hope they follow suit here as well. There is no shipping on Hawaii! That said some scenes in the pilot could definitely be read otherwise - let's hope that was just growing pains in writing/directing *sigh*

27 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Since H50 managed to stay away from shipping McGarrett and Kono I'm willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt and hope they follow suit here as well. There is no shipping on Hawaii! That said some scenes in the pilot could definitely be read otherwise - let's hope that was just growing pains in writing/directing *sigh*

Yeah, but they were leaning toward Lori & McGarrett when she got fired.  Not to mention Catherine & Steve.

3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Was that really supposed to be Kavika in the auto chop-shop, or is it just that the actor is getting more work?

I don’t see how it can’t be Kawika.  If he were in a different Lenkov show (ala Ian Anthony Dale), it would be the latter.  But in Hawaii, w/close ties to 5-0 (Steve was a seal, too), and as leader of the surfer gang, I can’t see how it wouldn’t be anyone else.

They had Noelani, after all.  They should show Duke, IMO, as well.

Typical 21st century TV.  All style and frenetic pacing.  No time to breathe.  No time for earned emotion.  No genuine regard for truths of tradition.

I was determined to judge this show as if it were newly imagined/not a remake.  The lead simply does not have it in him to convey any real depth.  The attempts at whimsical, or fatalistic/ironic asides fail miserably when delivered at the speed of one of those Ferraris.  Of course, we have Imperial Stormtrooper aim for weapons.

I am not buying Perdita in this role.  She does not convey the needed gravitas to be a "majordomo"  of this magnitude. (Magnumtude?)  

This "Captain" Greene was never once truly menacing.  He was far too soft.  Part of this was a function of the absurdly short and stilted script.  Perhaps he is indicative of a changed military?  I doubt it.  Bearing is bearing.  This guy does not have it.

Good doggies, though.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 9

Regular 5-0 watcher here, and I'm in for any Hawaii show, basically - it was a straight line from Lost to 5-0 (and 5-0 will end someday, so I'm hedging my bets). But I think this pilot showed how difficult it is to replicate the charm and interplay of Alex O'Loughlin and (especially) Scott Caan, and even Daniel Dae Kim. I remember Hernandez from Hang Time (don't judge!) so he's been around for a long while, but I was just not feeling him. Same with Knighton, who I have enjoyed in other things. I did like Perdita Weeks.

Part of the problem is that we are being dropped into a pre-existing world. On 5-0, McGarrett set up 5-0 in the first episode, introducing characters as they joined the group. I would argue this show should have been set up in the same way, with Higgins, on behalf of Masters, inviting a (maybe) down-on-his-luck-but-with-amazing-stories Magnum to live at his estate and provide inspiration for his books, and have Magnum use that opportunity to grow his PI business, slowly introducing his buddies. I just don't think it worked as well, dropping the audience into this world and trying to interpret the relationships.

I did enjoy Rick bopping around to the Spice Girls, though.

• Love 4

Takes some big cajones to riff on the title of one of the most if not they most classic episode of the original for your pilot.

If it was me I wouldn't have opened with a fantasy sequence. I was spoiled so I knew it wasn't real but I guarantee you more than a few people probably flipped the channel before the sequence was over at the preposterous of skydiving from outer space. 

TC...wow...this guy has no charisma but they didn't give him much to work with.

I'm in this for Higgins...my lord that woman is drop dead gorgeous and her toned arms...just wow...and I like the whole Sam an Diane vibe between her and Magnum. Plus I just like the character and it sounds like some juicy backstory to be explored....disavowed.

Please do bring back the classic Ferrari...Robin is rich..he could find another one. It adds so much to the show having it as a touchstone to the original.

• Love 3

I get more and more frustrated when I think about the episode. The deus ex machinations up the whazoo, the build up and then rushed non sensical ending, the already ludicrous coy glances by faux-Higgins. 

Rick and TC were too involved, Robin Masters was supposed to be more of an enigma and Higgins needs to be more major domo with wisdom and less involved in the action. Right now it is verging on a muddled A-team reboot with the way the gang gets out of these crazy messes.

• Love 4

With the backstory that Robin Masters was an embedded reporter with Magnum's unit, along with TC and Rick's squadron  and they are feeding him war stories that leaves little chance to tease the is Higgins actually Robin Masters adapting stories from when she was in the Queen's service

• Love 3

I was entertained by this episode of Hawaii 5-0. Seriously, not only could this have been a 5-0 episode, they have done this plot several times over where the bad guys hurt or kill someone close to the good guys so that the good guys will lead them to the buried treasure. It's happened to McGarrett, Danno, Chin and Kono IIRC.

I got a kick out of Noelani being instantly hostile to Magnum since we've never seen her behave like that towards anyone.

Also borrowed from the 5-0 playbook, the ability to re-task satellites courtesy of a connection in the intelligence community.

I don't think they are using Windows phones anymore (Microsoft stopped making them a while back) but I did spot a Microsoft Surface in use.

Navy SEALs are trained in old-fashioned hardcore navigation so it was silly that Magnum didn't recognize a set of coordinates and equally silly that the other character didn't write them out in coordinate format. I am also under the impression that lat and long will not take you right to x marks the spot but will rather just point you in the right direction which could be an area covering several square miles.

The bad guys tortured and murdered a guy because they couldn't be bothered to look around. The information they needed was on a table just to the left of the front door!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I am also under the impression that lat and long will not take you right to x marks the spot but will rather just point you in the right direction which could be an area covering several square miles.

That depends upon the precision of your coordinates.

Take for instance 51.263696, -2.146846 (the Westbury White Horse in Wiltshire).  With six digits of the specified point is pretty much dead on!  A variation of the last digit (say, change the 6's to 5's) indicates a different point that is only a few feet away.  

The coordinates specified in the show were precise to less than 6 digits IIRC, so in this case the accuracy of the point specified would be wider.  But latitude and longditude is capable of "X marks the Spot" accuracy, if desired.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Navy SEALs are trained in old-fashioned hardcore navigation so it was silly that Magnum didn't recognize a set of coordinates and equally silly that the other character didn't write them out in coordinate format

GI Jane used a magnetic compass and paper map to save Master Chief Viggo.....

Was looking forward to this but it failed to grab my attention. The set up on why Magnum was so special and was needed in the area was lost on me. His friends, though they were given designated specialties, had no character or flair to them. The British woman is just a British woman too. This show hasn't got much going for me to want to tune back in.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

Regular 5-0 watcher here, and I'm in for any Hawaii show, basically

Same. We went to Hawaii this past March and were mostly on the Big Island but did spend a few days in Honolulu. When I got back I streamlined all 8 seasons of H5-0 because i became so enamored with Hawaii.

Even though I was around when these shows were originally on, I never watched them, so I’m not comparing to the original. I’m only watching for the location.  But I thought the acting was pretty terrible. I may just sick with 5-0 for now for my Hawaii fix instead of watching both. I kind of wish these shows weren’t in the same universe because it’s already crazy how much stuff supposedly happens on that small island as it is. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Whimsy said:

kind of wish these shows weren’t in the same universe because it’s already crazy how much stuff supposedly happens on that small island as it is

Haha, I know, right? Every week, some kind of public shootout, gang warfare, terrorism, nuclear weapons...why would anyone on their right mind go to Hawaii?!

• Love 4

Despite the abject heresy of the episode title, I gave it a shot.  Ramblings:

1. Almost turned it off in the first few minutes, but they "kinda" saved it with the Robin Masters book reveal.
  2. Jay Hernandez was actually pretty good in The Expanse.  Not so much here.
  3. Zachary Knighton gets worse in everything I see him in.  He needs to thank his agent because he really can't act.
  4. Lombardozzi was wasted.  (He would make a better Rick.)
  5. I like the female Higgins.  Nobody can touch Hillerman, so they didn't even try.
  6. Always liked the Buck Green character, and Remar did a good job.
  7. The CGI looked like it belonged on the old show, it was that bad.

I'll give it a few more.

• Love 5

Nope.  Don't like the new guy at all!  He doesn't have the boyish charm Selleck had.  He's not nearly as handsome.   New Higgins doesn't have the authority in her voice when trying to make Magnum follow the rules.   Don't think I will be watching this one.

• Love 2

I am a big fan of the original Magnum which I watched when it originally aired as well as numerous reruns.  I'm not sure why they did a remake instead of just doing a whole new show.  The show was just too rushed (none of the laid back style of the original), no reason to try and pack all the regulars and semi-regulars (Lt. Tanaka) in one show and over the top (yeah as my car goes over a cliff I'll grab onto the helicopter hovering above.).

I didn't think it was as bad as many on here did, I'll try a few more episodes but it's certainly not must see tv.  As a resident of Hawaii I love the scenery - which is a big part of why I'll watch.  

• Love 2

I watched part of this and thought it was just OK. When that cgi truck went over in flames that looked pretty fake. I didn't see enough of new Higgins to have a good opinion one way or the other. 

I think it is weird they kept so much the same on a show which purportedly is made for fans of the original. 

It looks a lot better though. The shot with him paddling around the ocean had some gorgeous views. 

22 minutes ago, mojito said:

The old Magnum was written to a broader audience. This version is written to males under the age of 25.

That;s it in a nutshell.  Thanks for articulating what I was struggling to define.

On 9/25/2018 at 2:26 PM, Passepartout said:

I’m pretty sure that Scott Caan’s partner & daughter don’t live in Hawaii with him. At least not full time (which is part of the reason he gets written out of 1 H50 ep for every 5 Alex does—so he can go to LA & spend time with them, & his dad, among other things). I’m also pretty sure at least that Grace Park’s husband didn’t live with her in Hawaii while she was on H50 (her son, however, may have lived with her at least for awhile between when she came back from maternity leave & when she left the show at the beginning of S8).

Also for example, not every spouse & family of someone in the House of Representatives or the Senate moves to Washington when their family member gets elected. At least some—like I think the Obama family did when he was still in the Senate, US &/or State of Illinois—stay back home because of the spouse’s work, the children’s schooling, &/or just to maintain as normal a family life as possible despite being in the immediate family of a Member of Congress &/or the Senate.

So Jay’s wife not living in Hawaii during filming doesn’t necessarily mean anything, other than maybe for at least S1/until they find out whether or not the show gets past S1, they decided not to uproot everything & everyone & schlep it all across the Pacific from California. It’s not an unreasonable thought. If it gets to at least S2, she (& their family, if they have 1) may join him in Hawaii then.

I think it’s cool Jay & Zachary are sharing accommodations during filming. If nothing else it eliminates whomever’s responsible having to pay for 2 separate hotel accommodations, houses, or apartments.

On 9/25/2018 at 3:07 PM, Passepartout said:

Yeah but still that there are rumors for in the last time she was seen with him last year that was November. Saw on social media of his not a lot of pictures of her and that he seems on his IG he likes the bachelor life. But yeah separate or not they are private people.

It might be like celebrities who don’t post, particularly, pictures of their kids on their social media while they’re still of minor age/until they can say whether or not they want their pictures on their celebrity parents’/other famous relatives’ social media or other online websites.

The celebs who do this do it because their child(ren) didn’t choose to be born to a celebrity/celebrities (though that’s the professional path 1 parent or both followed). Not posting pics of their minor children online, or only posting (allowing to be posted) photos taken of them where you only see them from the rear or other angles where they’re not identifiable, easily or at all, helps the minor kids & other family members stay more anonymous than not, & they don’t have to end up being targets of any negativity connected to their parents’ or other relatives’ fame.

Maybe Jay’s wife prefers to remain as anonymous as possible; especially if she’s not in the entertainment business. I don’t think that’s unreasonable. But I also think that, if there are problems in Jay’s marriage/relationship maybe we should wait until he says something about it publicly. I’m not sure if speculation helps in regards to a situation between 2 people we don’t know personally (& I know I did some too in this post & probably in my previous 1).

• Love 2
On 9/25/2018 at 5:45 PM, MissLucas said:

Those were not legacy (gender-switched) characters but generic love interests. 

Lori Weston wasn’t a generic love interest, nor a gender switched character in S2 H50. She was a nod to an original series character, Lori Wilson, played by actress Sharon Farrell in the final season of the original H5O. (these are “Easter eggs” compiled & posted online by CBS before the 100th episode of the reboot aired, & they’re indicated in order by episode; so you have to read to the early S2 eps to find the reference, where the reboot series gave a nod to the original in some way). Farrell’s character was the only female member of the original Five-O team.