Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, b4pjoe said:

Magnum P.I. is canceled but "The network has ordered The Real Love Boat, a reality series where a group of singles look for love while aboard a Princess Cruises ship."

🤯

CBS (& NBCU) can go f*ck right off, and take their reality shit with them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

From TV Line, Matt's Inside Line

I am really really sorry to hear Magnum P.I. will not be back in September. Please tell me another station will pick up this show? –Cynthia

I cannot tell you that another station will “save” Magnum — though I am now hearing that lead producer Universal TV is trying to shop it around….

Edited by milkyaqua
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

They should try and persuade Tom Selleck to agree for a cameo, maybe as Robin Masters before trying to shop it around. Jay Hernandez and Perdita Weeks don’t have enough star powers. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I thought I read that he didn’t want anything to do with the new version, but I don’t know for sure.

Edited by alexa
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Yupp, he is not supportive of the remake.

Which I think for both Magnum and MacGyver (who also wasn't supportive of the remake) was silly.  I think both of the remakes were pretty well done considering, and of course there will be differences, so they have to expect that.  They both have a good amount of heart behind it to catch the essence of the series while bringing some new aspects.  I always found it a bit of a bummer that both actors didn't embrace it a little bit more.  At least some supporting actors (at least on MacGyver) came on some episodes, which was a lot of fun.  

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, alexa said:

Which I think for both Magnum and MacGyver (who also wasn't supportive of the remake) was silly.  I think both of the remakes were pretty well done considering, and of course there will be differences, so they have to expect that.  They both have a good amount of heart behind it to catch the essence of the series while bringing some new aspects.  I always found it a bit of a bummer that both actors didn't embrace it a little bit more.  At least some supporting actors (at least on MacGyver) came on some episodes, which was a lot of fun.  

At least we got OG TC and OG Rick guest-starred in the remake. It was fun to see both of them as John Booky and Nicky "The Kid" DeMarco (this character also appeared in H5O).

• Love 3

‘Magnum P.I.’ May Be Rescued By NBC & USA Network Following CBS Cancellation

No one is commenting, but I hear talks are underway for NBC and/or USA Network to potentially carry the series starring Jay Hernandez.

An arrangement still is being figured out, but I hear one scenario is for new episodes to air on NBC while USA would run previous seasons of the action drama, a reboot of the 1980s series that starred Tom Selleck.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

USA had some good shows during their "Characters Welcome" days before they tried the edgier stuff which resulted in two memorable shows that I remember being talked about which were Mr. Robot and Queen of the South. I didn't really watch either. Not because I wasn't interested. I just never got around to it as of yet.

I hate to think of USA going back to reruns of older shows and what feels like a dumping ground for sports that aren't as popular as they once were. 

I wonder how well Magnum would do on NBC and what other shows it could be paired with. It would definitely be a lighter alternative to all the Dick Wolf shows they have airing.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

No one is commenting, but I hear talks are underway for NBC and/or USA Network to potentially carry the series starring Jay Hernandez.

An arrangement still is being figured out, but I hear one scenario is for new episodes to air on NBC while USA would run previous seasons of the action drama, a reboot of the 1980s series that starred Tom Selleck.

I still refuse to get any hopes up, but there does seem to be some tiny wafts of smoke to all this 'efforts to save the show' "fire" we've heard news about, starting since shortly after the cancellation was announced.

• Wink 1
15 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Oh man, I hadn't seen this!! Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

• Wink 1
On 6/5/2022 at 1:39 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

That smoke seems to be gettin' thicker now .....

A Canceled Fan-Favorite CBS Show Is About To Be Rescued

'Magnum P.I.' Saved After CBS Cancellation by Fellow Network

(the 2nd titled link is a bit misleading, as it reads as an absolute;  but as of right now, its not)

Really hope this is true! I think it would be a good fit on USA, or at least the USA Network before they started showing all of those sports. I remember when they used to do this with SVU and then they also aired original Criminal Intent episodes after it was canceled on NBC. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Production Weekly - whatever that is, exactly - is reporting that the 5th season is currently in Active Development.

And while that does not 1000% confirm the series has been saved/renewed, people are saying that this PW is rarely wrong nor falsifies the info they provide for shows.

• Love 2

I'd originally come here to say I was partially right re: THE ADMISSION.

On 4/17/2022 at 7:07 PM, Sweet Tooth said:

They could also begin "the talk," when someone rushes in with an "emergency," and this situation changes everything, so by the end of the show, one of them says, "Oh, what was it you were going to talk to me about?" And the other person says, "Nothing."

All of these things did happen, but fortunately it only delayed the inevitable until the end of the episode and not for months on end as we watch them go from relationship to relationship.

And after the latest news, I understand why they went ahead with this. 

So glad to see that it's probably going to be picked up, since the reason for the cancellation wasn't low ratings.

I love this show. I need the fluffiness right now. It has heart.

And on a shallow note, I need Jay and his Hawaiian shirts in my life.

• Love 5
On 6/10/2022 at 3:19 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Production Weekly - whatever that is, exactly - is reporting that the 5th season is currently in Active Development.

And while that does not 1000% confirm the series has been saved/renewed, people are saying that this PW is rarely wrong nor falsifies the info they provide for shows.

Oh I hope they are right!!!

• Like 2

Magnum PI season 5: How is revival progress made behind the scenes?

If you’ve been attentive to the efforts to Magnum PI over the past couple of weeks, then something may feel a little bit strange today. It’s quiet! Or, it’s been quiet over the past several days.

So is the sudden lack of major headlines a bad thing? Not at all. In a way, you could look at it as a sign of progress.

Here is one way to look at things: If NBC wasn’t interested in Magnum PI or the price tag was basically insurmountable, there would be reports out there about that already. The fact that there is still silence suggests legitimate interest, but also difficult conversations.

We’ve reported this in the past, but we believe the most critical part of these negotiations (aside from the new network home itself) is sorting out the streaming rights for the first four seasons. If you are NBC, you 100% want the show on Peacock to capitalize on one of your own properties. These deals can be complicated and take a lot of time. Luckily, there’s still more than two weeks until cast contracts expire and based on where we are now, a lack of major updates is still a good thing. It’s not as good as an actual revival being announced, but it signals that things are still moving.

Steve Mcgarrett Mpi GIF by CBS

• Like 3
On 6/3/2022 at 11:01 AM, Jaded said:

USA had some good shows during their "Characters Welcome" days before they tried the edgier stuff which resulted in two memorable shows that I remember being talked about which were Mr. Robot and Queen of the South. I didn't really watch either. Not because I wasn't interested. I just never got around to it as of yet.

That was a great bunch of shows - action, but smart and funny, and didn't take themselves too seriously. Big fan of "Burn Notice", "White Collar", and "In Plain Sight". 

I could see Magnum in that bunch - hopefully it'll get USA headed in that direction.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1

Now that we are nearing 99% certainty that Magnum will be saved and continue, I am now wondering if the show's PTB and writers will walk anything back from the end of the S4 finale, as S5 opens.

I still maintain that if CBS hadn't been dumb and just renewed the show from the get-go, there likely wouldn't have been the full sharing of feelings between the two and definitely not a kiss.  They would have kept dragging it out as long as possible - based on what we'd seen previously.

• Love 1
On 6/16/2022 at 5:55 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I still maintain that if CBS hadn't been dumb and just renewed the show from the get-go, there likely wouldn't have been the full sharing of feelings between the two and definitely not a kiss.  They would have kept dragging it out as long as possible - based on what we'd seen previously.

From what they've said, they didn't shoot the S4 finale thinking that they were even in TROUBLE of being canceled, so I don't believe that to be the case. I think they just planned on taking things incredibly sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow in the theoretical Season 5 and I imagine that will be the case in this now possibly less theoretical Season 5. I'm sure it will be irritating no matter what (just let them date!!). 

I wonder if Tim Kang will get screwed by budget cuts? There's usually at least one cast member who gets screwed by budget cuts when shows move from one network to another. 

• Useful 3

It pains me to say it, but I'd rather lose Rick than Gordon.  TC and (especially) Rick have largely been relegated to their own island plots, but I find Rick's especially boring.  I don't care about Suzie and his relationship with her and if possible care less about him being a father.   Practically everything with him in season 4 was a snoozefest. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

It pains me to say it, but I'd rather lose Rick than Gordon.  TC and (especially) Rick have largely been relegated to their own island plots, but I find Rick's especially boring.  I don't care about Suzie and his relationship with her and if possible care less about him being a father.   Practically everything with him in season 4 was a snoozefest. 

I'm afraid I agree with you.  Rick was my favourite character, in both original and remake, but it just feels like he's been sidelined, especially in S4.

IIRC, the only big (non-fatherhood) plot was when his buddy showed up and got killed.  But even then, the 'Rick out for revenge' plot felt like the b-plot of the episode. 

• Love 2

If Rick and T.C. go with them the cost of paying the original show's writing staff. It is why all the old shows reoccurring characters and the reboot 5-0 cast went away fast and Lieutenant Tanaka became Detective Katsumoto.  And when they decided to recast after the pilot episode they changed to the legacy's name, so no now playing Detective like in soap operas. Also TC's Staff Sergeant uniform became a Marine aviator appropriate Major's in post production.

On 6/20/2022 at 3:19 AM, Maverick said:

Totally agree.  I like Rick but I hate the storyline with Suzie.  I had no idea they were a couple in real life.  I was on insta after the show ended and saw his pics, and was like, what?  lol. 

35 minutes ago, alexa said:

Totally agree.  I like Rick but I hate the storyline with Suzie.  I had no idea they were a couple in real life.  I was on insta after the show ended and saw his pics, and was like, what?  lol. 

A lot of late 2020 and 2021 TV couples were cast due to COVID nepotism protocols.

• Love 1

Maybe (hopefully) this is a case of "no news is good news", but after all that initial news flurry about Magnum likely being saved, its been eerily 'radio silent' - or nearly so - for about the past 5 days to a week, purely speculation articles notwithstanding.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Maybe (hopefully) this is a case of "no news is good news", but after all that initial news flurry about Magnum likely being saved, its been eerily 'radio silent' - or nearly so - for about the past 5 days to a week, purely speculation articles notwithstanding.

I know. I'm kind of worried. I was hoping it would be announced today. Getting close to the end of the month...

(edited)

The 20 episodes will be split into two seasons, bringing the reboot’s  run to 96 episodes, with an option for more.

With 10-episodes each season, please focus on the real storytelling instead of the Miggy crap that brings the show down. This opportunity shouldn’t be wasted on poor contents. Focus on the great assemble, the great dynamic between casts.

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 4

I am happy for the news, but disappointed with the 10 episodes per season order as it doesn't seem enough to build an audience (by the time people figure out it's on, the season is over).  Here's hoping...

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I am happy for the news, but disappointed with the 10 episodes per season order as it doesn't seem enough to build an audience (by the time people figure out it's on, the season is over).  Here's hoping...

10 episodes had become a standard basic cable package a decade ago. Providing a half year's worth worth of episodes is TV's is the old model 

It's not necessarily ten episodes per season. It's 10 episodes in Season 5, because it will be debuting midseason (which makes sense) and then it's at LEAST 10 episodes in Season 6, but a legit possibility that Season 6 goes back to a normal episode order if it debuts in the fall. It really depends on the reaction to the midseason episodes.

In any event, this is awesome news! I'm so pumped!

• Love 1

The renewal is a no-brainer for NBC Universal. Even though television has changed, having 20 more episodes in the show’s library makes it easier for them to get a deal to show reruns on USA or ION or wherever. And the two-season 20-episode renewal tells me that it’s the parent company that wants this renewal more than the NBC network itself. If the show underperforms on NBC, they only have to worry about airing 10 episodes per season. Great way to minimize risk and add more episodes to the library. Win all around.

3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Agreed.  That is the problem Magnum and MacGyver had during the pandemic and other scheduling issues their network set up for them.  They barely get momentum and the season is done.

I watched season 1 and intermittently, but more often lately.

I am really sick of the FBIs, Chicago's and L & O's.  I began to feel (wrongly I know, but still) that I could write the scripts myself - or maybe star in one - performances mostly phoned in.

The one thing about the Magnum reboot that I have never liked is the Higgens sex change.

The plots and the lighter asides worked so well in the original and lost something here because we all knew the kiss was coming!

Still I will take me some Tim Kang any time I can get him.  I find him a terrific presence, both serious and yet with a straight underlying humor that I find fabulous.

I hope he is in the redo as the other story lines (Rick and Magnum/Higgins bring a yawn).

Still hoping for the best.

NOW - - -NBC needs to treat this reboot better than they did Brooklyn 99.  They bounced B99 around the schedule to the point of my wondering about a conspiracy.  I REALLY loved that show.  NBC should hang their head in shame! :)

Hope they treat Magnum better

• Love 3

Yes!! Awesome news!! Very excited to see Ohana continue and to get to watch the Higgins/Magnum relationship grow!!

Hope Tim Kang is back and they keep Cade around too!!

4 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Magnum, P.I.     February 19     NBC      9pm    10 episodes

Magnum, P.I. was renewed for two 10 episode seasons.

February 19 (2023) is the s5 premiere date then, I take it?

So, is that its permanent slot?  Sundays at 8p CST??  If so,

super-meh-suparman.gif

• LOL 1

I wonder where the past seasons will stream. They were on Paramount when CBS had the show, but then they removed it after CBS canceled it. I haven't seen it show up on Peacock yet, but maybe I need to check again.