Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 4/11/2022 at 8:19 AM, Johann said:

I'd actually rather see Magnum and Higgins become a couple than watch angst.  Why do TV shows think everyone likes watching sexual tension?  Well, maybe others do, but not me.  You actually can write about a couple that loves each other and works well together without ruining the show.  Writers, try that.  Be innovative.

Word.

I just think its lazy writers to act as if happy couples can't be written in an entertaining way. It can be done and for me it's a lot more entertaining than perpetual angst and third parties who we know mean nothing in the end, so why even invest in them? Get Magnum and Higgins together and write them being a team professionally and personally and solving crimes with the family. I'd much rather that than angst. I like them all as one big family, solving crimes and supporting each other. Angst can be saved for the cases!

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Maren said:

Word.

I just think its lazy writers to act as if happy couples can't be written in an entertaining way. It can be done and for me it's a lot more entertaining than perpetual angst and third parties who we know mean nothing in the end, so why even invest in them? Get Magnum and Higgins together and write them being a team professionally and personally and solving crimes with the family. I'd much rather that than angst. I like them all as one big family, solving crimes and supporting each other. Angst can be saved for the cases!

From the first episodes when it was apparent that the show was just using the four big names and POWs together from the Selleck show that Thomas and Juliet had a Hart to Hart groove and I hoped that they would change plans and go with it. Unfortunately the only major change they made was to change Perdita Weeks wardrobe to put her in her action star jeans for most of her scenes.

On 4/11/2022 at 8:19 AM, Johann said:

I'd actually rather see Magnum and Higgins become a couple than watch angst.  Why do TV shows think everyone likes watching sexual tension?  Well, maybe others do, but not me.  You actually can write about a couple that loves each other and works well together without ruining the show.  Writers, try that.  Be innovative.

I find that when writers say they refuse to get the main people together, because the show would fall apart, it means they don't know how to write a happy couple into a series without ridiculousness.

Bones handled it just fine. So did N.C.I.S. Los Angeles. 

Castle took a dive, not because they became a couple, but because they infantilized Castle and made his wife his mother, always rolling her eyes at him. In other words, bad writing.

Why do these people only point out "the Moonlighting curse" and forget other shows that did it successfully?

If you're going to wait until the end of the ENTIRE SERIES, why tease people with it now? All you're doing is making everyone they get together with some kind of temporary place holder. That gets sooooo booooooooooooring. 

Many watchers will not go all-in with the main character's S.O., because they know who's end game. 

On 4/12/2022 at 10:52 PM, Maren said:

Could not agree more. 

If you can't write a happy couple into a series, then what are you even doing? 

Constant angst and making people think they're just on the precipice of getting together MULTIPLE TIMES, only to have the two lovebirds begin to have the conversation, when they're interrupted, OR, in the case of Magnum and Juliette ad nauseum, throw in another love interest juuuuuuuust as one of them gets up enough courage to profess how they feel.

How many times have they done this now? Personally, I'm not amused.

Why would they drop anvil after anvil after anvil in multiple consecutive shows if you're not going to follow through? That shows a disregard for the viewer.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, MDL said:

quote: Bones handled it just fine. So did N.C.I.S. Los Angeles.

And, for the older amongst us, "Hart to Hart"

Hart to Hart was different though, because it was never a case of 'will they won't they', it was more 'they already are'.  So it's not quite the same as those examples. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Ceindreadh said:

Hart to Hart was different though, because it was never a case of 'will they won't they', it was more 'they already are'.  So it's not quite the same as those examples. 

the focus was can a couple work in this type show. they did.

• Love 1

Having watched the last new episode (finally), I don't see how they can't be - at least - in the process of making "Miggy' canon by the final scenes of the soon-to-be S4 finale.

I mean, they basically just made it 100% clear that Magnum does indeed have more than just 'friends/work partner' feelings for Higgins with the final scene in this last episode, even though its been strongly hinted at since the tail end of last season (longer, actually).  And we've known for - more than - half this season that Higgins feels the same about Magnum. 

I don't see how they can keep prolonging the canonizing of "the OTP".  They've already paired them both off with two 'serious' PLIs.  They've done the whole "you two are a cute couple! ... oh wait, you're not a couple!?" thing many times, as well as the friends telling them they should be together.   

There can't be very many feasible options left in the "WT/WT anvils playbook".

• Love 2

I would guess Magnum finally outright declares his love to Higgins in the finale.  She feels the same, but is scared for...reasons and lies that she doesn't feel the same and says they're just business partners.   Or Magnum is prepared to tell her but he sees her having a good time with the daughter and dad from the cold case episode and changes his mind.

Maybe the interviews about not putting them together until the end are a misdirect to throw us off that are going to put them together in the finale, but i doubt it. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

I would guess Magnum finally outright declares his love to Higgins in the finale.  She feels the same, but is scared for...reasons and lies that she doesn't feel the same and says they're just business partners.   Or Magnum is prepared to tell her but he sees her having a good time with the daughter and dad from the cold case episode and changes his mind.

Maybe the interviews about not putting them together until the end are a misdirect to throw us off that are going to put them together in the finale, but i doubt it. 

Agreed that these are possibilities.

And now that you've brought it up, I'm fully expecting yet some more delay tactics in this season finale, even if its something other than you described above.

On 4/15/2022 at 4:38 PM, Maverick said:

I'm totally buying what you're selling,. 

They could also begin "the talk," when someone rushes in with an "emergency," and this situation changes everything, so by the end of the show, one of them says, "Oh, what was it you were going to talk to me about?" And the other person says, "Nothing."

This same ending could apply to the daughter/dad situation as well.

If they plan to have them each pine after each other, season after season, only to get involved with someone else, so they have to t0rture themselves by seeing each of them lovey-dovey kissy face with someone other than them, that will be a huge bummer for all of us.

On 4/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, MissLucas said:

Jury's still out on NCIS LA since the baby drama is getting really tedious.

OMG, yes. It's the only speedbump, and why they've chosen to draw this out when the viewers hate it, is beyond me. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Sweet Tooth said:

I'm totally buying what you're selling,. 

They could also begin "the talk," when someone rushes in with an "emergency," and this situation changes everything, so by the end of the show, one of them says, "Oh, what was it you were going to talk to me about?" And the other person says, "Nothing."

This same ending could apply to the daughter/dad situation as well.

If they plan to have them each pine after each other, season after season, only to get involved with someone else, so they have to t0rture themselves by seeing each of them lovey-dovey kissy face with someone other than them, that will be a huge bummer for all of us.

COVID threw off the count but we are already in season 5. Now the show might last as long as say NCIS but on their LA spinoff they brought back Harm and Mac after a decade they were still in that TV lovers limbo

52 minutes ago, Raja said:

COVID threw off the count but we are already in season 5. Now the show might last as long as say NCIS but on their LA spinoff they brought back Harm and Mac after a decade they were still in that TV lovers limbo

This idea is more than a little scary...

I think that when sitcoms accidentally fall into a relationship that works they generally change course and throw out plan A. These light comedy dramas on the other hand stick with plan A and continue to try jam it in. On something like Sleepy Hollow that was less accessible it meant an early death. Magnum PI on the other hand is good enough to survive, maybe Hawaii gives production cost breaks. We are just left wishing for that change instead of that JAG like series long tease. 

• Love 1

I just wish more shows would follow the example of Elementary - it worked and it worked well. If you have a compelling cast beyond the two main characters and good writing you can banish romantic shenanigans to occasional B-plots while keeping the ahem... non-ship afloat.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Sweet Tooth said:

Very possible as well.  We are almost certainly being led the garden path, with all anvils pointing toward forward movement.   But like Wile E. Coyote, we're going to be hit by those anvils instead achieving our goal.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Very possible as well.  We are almost certainly being led the garden path, with all anvils pointing toward forward movement.   But like Wile E. Coyote, we're going to be hit by those anvils instead achieving our goal.  

You speak only truth.

I don't understand with every way they could handle this, "frustrate the viewer, until they want to throw something at the TV" is the way they've chosen to go.

• Love 1
On 4/18/2022 at 4:08 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

Bones didn't do it without some tacky drama for both couples though.

The Ryan O'Neal crap was lame and so was Billy Gibbons as Angela's father.

They did the BS that ALL of these shows do when they have partners everyone knows is going to be end game.

They throw a bunch of ridiculousness at it, including putting both of them in serious relationships, until they finally get together.

And aside from the Ryan O'Neal stupidity, they did treat the relationship as just another part of the show.

I thought the Billy thing was fun. I think this show liked to play with us. It was on forever, so every once in a while they'd do something nutty.

Edited by Sweet Tooth
  • Love 2

Have we met Katsumoto's exwife yet? 

And man. I kind of hate when shows have a pregnant actress go through onscreen pregnancy difficulties, cause I just can't help but think all that faked trauma can't be good for real mama and baby 😏

• Love 1

Cade was how old again? I wonder where T.C. is from originally? I never heard "grandmom" before, it has to be from a specific region. I was surprised to see Elipidia Carrillo, I still see her as one of those who survived a Predator. I guess since  her character was tied up for most of the movie she wasn't seen as sport.

Getting ready to cut a diamond out of the living grandson of someone who stole from your family is beyond cold. I just hope life in prison is worse than the quick killing her partner got

Pretty comical, the evil, crazy-eyed, knock-kneed, pigeon-toed, woman whips out a huge gun and shoots the hospital security guard, one-armed.  They shouldn’t have photographed from that angle, it just looked stupid. 

33 minutes ago, Daff said:

Pretty comical, the evil, crazy-eyed, knock-kneed, pigeon-toed, woman whips out a huge gun and shoots the hospital security guard, one-armed.  They shouldn’t have photographed from that angle, it just looked stupid. 

I'm old enough to remember Paul Michael Glaser's Starsky of Starsky and Hutch being perhaps the first to actually use two handed combat pistol shooting where as before, including Dirty Harry using "the most powerful handgun in the world", everybody shot with one hand. Especially at that range.

edit to add. Tom Selleck's Magnum always fired his GI .45 one handed  in the years after Starsky and Hutch was cancelled.

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Raja said:

edit to add. Tom Selleck's Magnum always fired his GI .45 one handed  in the years after Starsky and Hutch was cancelled.

It was all that paddling!

• LOL 1

COW was good casting, the actor really sold the part of someone lost in what he thought was a mundane life and then realized that he's capable of more.  Villains were idiots. Be more discreet when abducting someone from a hospital and get a bottle of castor oil.

I was about to get annoyed for yet another custody threat for TC (or whatever the legal term is), so that was a pleasant turn of events. And good advice from TC.

Had to roll my eyes a bit about Juliet - former MI6 asset - ordering an out-of-office appointment with her therapist for talking about her romantic feelings. I'd say this could have waited for a regular appointment. And what are the chances the debriefing with Detective Kaleo takes a surprising turn? At least Magnum's maybe-love-interest gets some screen time whilst Cole is reduced to text messages, hrmpf.

• Love 1

S04•E19 - The Long Sleep

I love every conversations between TC and Cade, great chemistry between these two. TC is a saint, he gives great advice and still my favorite character on this show.

Don’t care about Rick and his Suzy.

Interesting COTW and glad to see Lia again!

Thomas: "Lately I have been coming to terms with the fact that I may possibly have feelings for Higgins."

Rick: "No offense, but you have the emotional intelligence of a nine-year-old.” 🤣🤣🤣

Juliet: “Don't you think it might just be best to resist foolish impulses?"

Me: 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 1

I think if they really don't want to do a coupling of the two, they really should just let it go for now and focus on the friendship and cases (the writers).  Clearly they think viewers want to see this silly drama, and they really don't.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, alexa said:

I think if they really don't want to do a coupling of the two, they really should just let it go for now and focus on the friendship and cases (the writers).  Clearly they think viewers want to see this silly drama, and they really don't.

That's the thing, there is no drama to be had - aside from the created WT/WT crap that writers throw in the characters' paths.  Everyone and their dogs & cats know that Miggy is gonna happen, its just a matter of when.

TPTB dragging it out is not doing the characters & show any real favors.  There's nothing to wonder about, aside from when the 'OTP' will finally become canon officially.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 2

I don't watch Magnum for romance, I watch it for the scenery and the mysteries.  I enjoy the camaraderie between the group but this whole will they/won't they gets on my nerves.  I'd prefer that we only get into their personal lives when it effects a case - like in the episode that involved the daughter of Kumu's late husband.  I really disklike the Rick/Suzy storyline and wish she had stayed unpregnant and in San Diego.

• Love 3
On 4/30/2022 at 10:14 AM, Raja said:

Cade was how old again? I wonder where T.C. is from originally? I never heard "grandmom" before, it has to be from a specific region. I was surprised to see Elipidia Carrillo, I still see her as one of those who survived a Predator. I guess since  her character was tied up for most of the movie she wasn't seen as sport.

Getting ready to cut a diamond out of the living grandson of someone who stole from your family is beyond cold. I just hope life in prison is worse than the quick killing her partner got

I believe Cade is 16ish? Probably on his 20s in real life but yep, still a teenager on the show.

TC is originally from Durham, NC. It’s revealed from a earlier episode last season I think. Rick’s somewhat g/f paints a portrait illustrating football players with a “Durham, NC” title for TC & a bunch of skateboarders & skyscrapers with a “Chicago” title for Rick. Kinda cool.

• Love 1
On 4/30/2022 at 5:51 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

That's the thing, there is no drama to be had - aside from the created WT/WT crap that writers throw in the characters' paths.  Everyone and their dogs & cats know that Miggy is gonna happen, its just a matter of when.

TPTB dragging it out is not doing the characters & show any real favors.  There's nothing to wonder about, aside from when the 'OTP' will finally become canon officially.

I pretty much gave up on this show after watching it for the first three seasons regularly. I wasn't expecting an exact remake of the original. I also wasn't expecting that this reimagined version was going to basically be WT/WT as the main story type of show. I also hated how they wrote Magnum in this one like he couldn't be very competent at his job as a PI without this version of Higgins.

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, Jaded said:

I pretty much gave up on this show after watching it for the first three seasons regularly. I wasn't expecting an exact remake of the original. I also wasn't expecting that this reimagined version was going to basically be WT/WT as the main story type of show. I also hated how they wrote Magnum in this one like he couldn't be very competent at his job as a PI without this version of Higgins.

I hear you, but when they genderbent OG Higgins and made her a very close to the same age (as Magnum) version, my immediate thought was that 'Miggy' would eventually end up canon - it was practically a given in how things work in TV scripting for the past 3 decades (at least) - just maybe not right away.

Why else would they both start out unattached as well as still dealing with semi-recent heartache-y pasts?  The setup was there right from the very beginning.

Don't have to like it, but its not at all a surprise that its happening.  (imo)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I hear you, but when they genderbent OG Higgins and made her a very close to the same age (as Magnum) version, my immediate thought was that 'Miggy' would eventually end up canon - it was practically a given in how things work in TV scripting for the past 3 decades (at least) - just maybe not right away.

Why else would they both start out unattached as well as still dealing with semi-recent heartache-y pasts?  The setup was there right from the very beginning.

Oh, it was obvious from the looks they were exchanging in the first episode that the show was going to develop some kind of relationship between Magnum and Higgins, so I knew what I was getting into.  And I could have lived with it if they'd balanced out the WT/WT with other storylines, like Magnum's past and his friendship with Rick and TC.  The show did that to some extent in the first couple of seasons, but then the ship expanded and devoured the show.  Plus, as @Jaded said, they basically made Higgins into superwoman and it became ridiculous that Magnum, a Navy SEAL, couldn't manage to solve any cases without her help.

31 minutes ago, Rose Quartz said:

Oh, it was obvious from the looks they were exchanging in the first episode that the show was going to develop some kind of relationship between Magnum and Higgins, so I knew what I was getting into.  And I could have lived with it if they'd balanced out the WT/WT with other storylines, like Magnum's past and his friendship with Rick and TC.  The show did that to some extent in the first couple of seasons, but then the ship expanded and devoured the show.  Plus, as @Jaded said, they basically made Higgins into superwoman and it became ridiculous that Magnum, a Navy SEAL, couldn't manage to solve any cases without her help.

Well Sergeant Major Jonathan Quayle Higgins always had the skills as Magnum, he was just older. So with Juliet that she had skills wasn't the problem. The one scene that did get me on the equality angle instead of complementary team was when there was someone downing at the bottom of the waterfall and SEAL Magnum jumps in.. With an anything he could do I could do better move of course Juliet also does a dive into the water when someone ashore would also be needed. That Juliet absorbed the other things that, Buck Maggie, Mac and others did for Selleck does upset the balance as we should be asking what does Magnum add to the skills of Juliet and why beyond a cool name, is he needed?

The one skill Higgins brought to the table that the the others supposedly don't have is her magical hacking - which I find increasingly annoying since it became a short-cut whenever the writers feel lazy. That said I could live with it were she not superwoman in everything else. I dimly remember her not being a good swimmer? Which makes the example @Raja cited even more ridiculous.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

The one skill Higgins brought to the table that the the others supposedly don't have is her magical hacking - which I find increasingly annoying since it became a short-cut whenever the writers feel lazy. That said I could live with it were she not superwoman in everything else. I dimly remember her not being a good swimmer? Which makes the example @Raja cited even more ridiculous.

I think it was just when Juliet also was going to train for the Ironman that was Magnum's advantage. When they were alone in the ocean as an homage to an original episode with Magnum truly alone she was wounded.

Of course we were pre internet in the original. But Maggie, Naval Intelligence  and Carol, Prosecuting Attorney's Office provided the hacking like information

(edited)

In agreement above about Higgins' awesomeness.

I am all about her being tough, skilled and resourceful.   Wouldn't be of much help to the PI partnership if she were in constant need of protecting and/or rescuing, but they could have handled it better.  You don't need to 'nerf' the main character to prop up the main supporting character, but that's what they did.

Wondering how Magnum finished any cases or got any 'street cred' built up on his own, prior to the start of the series.  Ever since it started, Higgins has done the vast majority of the heavy lifting when in it comes to getting anything done, especially technologically.

And considering all the "you owe us (monetarily)" griping that the Ohana does about him, Magnum is always portrayed as a lazy selfish mooch.  What a wonderful portrayal you provide of him, writers. [/sarcasm]

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Raja said:

Well Sergeant Major Jonathan Quayle Higgins always had the skills as Magnum, he was just older. So with Juliet that she had skills wasn't the problem. The one scene that did get me on the equality angle instead of complementary team was when there was someone downing at the bottom of the waterfall and SEAL Magnum jumps in.. With an anything he could do I could do better move of course Juliet also does a dive into the water when someone ashore would also be needed. That Juliet absorbed the other things that, Buck Maggie, Mac and others did for Selleck does upset the balance as we should be asking what does Magnum add to the skills of Juliet and why beyond a cool name, is he needed?

Yeah, that waterfall scene was just about the last straw for me.  It was one of the few times other characters were impressed with Magnum's competence and then the show immediately ruined it by having Higgins dive in after him like it was no big deal.

FWIW, I didn't like the original Higgins either for pretty much the same reason.  I actually preferred his character in the first couple of seasons when he was more of a foil to Magnum and would only help out if he was guilted or tricked into it.  But once he started helping Magnum willingly it seemed like just about every episode his insights or experience were what enabled Magnum to close the case.  There's no character less appealing to me than a know-it-all and that's an issue with Higgins in both versions of the show.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

And considering all the "you owe us (monetarily)" griping that the Ohana does about him, Magnum is always portrayed as a lazy selfish mooch.  What a wonderful portrayal you provide of him, writers. [/sarcasm]

The mooching is something else I don't think the reboot handled very well.  It worked for me in the original because I never believed any of them were serious when they complained about Magnum not paying them back.  In one scene when Magnum walks out without paying his bill, Rick just rips it up and tosses it in the trash.  In another scene when TC is flying Magnum somewhere and asks for gas money they end up arguing about who saved the other one's life more often while completely ignoring a couple of TC's paying customers who are in in the back of the chopper.  Plus Magnum would always help out if one of the guys actually needed it, so to me the complaints about Magnum not paying his bills were more of a family joke.  In the reboot the characters are split into their separate storylines so much that we don't get to see a lot of those types of interactions and the mooching complaints come across as being more serious and a character flaw of Magnum.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I figured it was going to happen after character (especially the Juliet stuff) and casting announcements were made. I meant before that when it was announced that the show was in development.

• Useful 1

In the promo for the finale, it looks like Magnum and Higgins are talking in front of a crappy green screen a CW soap opera would use if the characters were supposed to be in Hawaii.

• Love 2
(edited)

After watching 4.19, they better make Miggy canon at the end of the episode on Friday night.  Renewed or not, you can't come this far and keep delaying it.

I can just imagine the hardcore shippers' furious anguish if the finale ends on the cliffhanger such as one of the two admitting their feelings for the other and the recipient is in the process of answering as the screen goes black.  

..... And then for what would be the ultimate kick in the nuts (for the shippers), a few days/weeks afterwards, we would learn of the news that the series got the axe from CBS.

13 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

After watching 4.19, they better make Miggy canon at the end of the episode on Friday night.  Renewed or not, you can't come this far and keep delaying it.

I can just imagine the hardcore shippers' furious anguish if the finale ends on the cliffhanger such as one of the two admitting their feelings for the other and the recipient is in the process of answering as the screen goes black.  

..... And then for what would be the ultimate kick in the nuts (for the shippers), a few days/weeks afterwards, we would learn of the news that the series got the ax from CBS.

When they didn't change course after season 1 I knew that could just snark at that for the rest of the run. I went through this with Harm and Mac a generation ago. The shippers better be wearing their athletic cups come next year's season premiere episode.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 5/4/2022 at 8:20 PM, Maverick said:

In the promo for the finale, it looks like Magnum and Higgins are talking in front of a crappy green screen a CW soap opera would use if the characters were supposed to be in Hawaii.

That green screen shot is so crappy, I bet its a dream - or some other non-reality - sequence.  The backdrop is that appallingly apparent, and bad.

(edited)
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Season finale‼️

"Lots of emo and a couple of cliffhangers".

Welp, we know what one - or knowing these writers and showrunners, both - of those cliffhangers will be.  Anyone who expects to see the ultimate actualization of the most obvious aspect of the show currently, in this finale, is just trying to fool themselves.

And now that we know the canonization of Miggy will be officially put off until next season - maybe, who knows with these ptb, could be delayed for another season(s) - I will be fairly surprised if the series is renewed.  All this agonizingly blatant and boring setup for it, and the series will end up being cancelled before they actually start the relationship or even kiss.

(edited)
52 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Welp, we know what one - or knowing these writers and showrunners, both - of those cliffhangers will be.  Anyone who expects to see the ultimate actualization of the most obvious aspect of the show currently, in this finale, is just trying to fool themselves.

Part of me wants this show to be cancelled because I really want to see the meltdown of Miggy shippers, it will be hilarious! 😂

Re the emo part, the writers must be expecting it from the birth of Rick/Suzy’s baby. There must be some sort of complications etc. Why can’t they use a real baby?

AE37A14A-63D6-47D7-B5F5-66C9D91F9D81.jpeg

A4A78ACD-7B22-4D5F-9632-E9EF28F020B5.jpeg

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

I can't the the entire Suzie plot, from when she was introduced to this snoozefest baby plot.  I do watch family/relationship drama shows and I'm tied of it being shoehorned into to genres where it doesn't belong.   I guess this is because of This is Us?  I also that Rick has been isolated on his own baby daddy island.  He doesn't do anything on the cases anymore, not that they've been great about having Rick and TC be part of the COTW team since Higgins and Magnum paired up.  

• Love 1