Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Magnumfangirl said:

Don't know where you got this, but Tom has been adamantly against a re-make, a re-boot, or a sequel.  Whenever he's asked "Who should play Magnum?"  He says "Me."  He was interested in a reunion movie, but only if all the original players were in on it.    

I with you Thomas.....I want no part of this re-boot  What a great campy show it was.  Picture it:  Family vacation to Hawaii during the heyday of Magnum, I was 17 and convinced that if I could find him....Selleck would be mine.  yeah....that didn't' happen.  

• Love 2

Here's my problem, based on the trailer. Using Selleck characters as examples, Hernandez's Magnum reminds me of Lance White (Selleck's character on The Rockford Files), while Selleck's Magnum reminds me (quite intentionally on Selleck's part) of Jim Rockford (the star of the Rockford Files). The whole shtick with Lance White was that he was this perfect guy who didn't do underhanded stuff and thus it would always shock Rockford that everything worked out for Lance (this was based on a Maverick episode where Bret Maverick befriends a guy who won't compromise on his principles at all and Maverick is shocked when everything works out for the other guy in the end).

Hernandez just looks and acts too put together for the character. As others have noted, the whole point of the series was to show how a super straight edge guy like Magnum is dealing with his PTSD by becoming a bit of a layabout, but he's just too good not to still be an effective P.I. Hernandez is acting like he's Steve McGarrett in the current 5-0, your basic super cop. 

Rick and TC look good and I'm find with them transitioning to the over-the-top action style of Hawaii 5-0. I can even live with a sexy female Higgins (although, how gross is it that Higgins is, like, seven or eight years younger than Magnum? Apparently women can't be sexy after 40. Having her be so much younger than Magnum really messes with the dynamic), but Hernandez in the trailer is just too put together. He doesn't convey "rascal" in the slightest bit. He just seems way too polished. 

• Love 5

The original series had a lot going for it- Selleck, the writers, and tone. Think of the difference in Magnum in Did you See the Sunrise? (and the ending was so unexpected at least partially because the spoilers and social media just weren't there) and in Unfinished Business, where he chooses not to kill Quang Ki.

I'm hoping this reboot isn't all style and no substance.

• Love 1

That sound you hear is me swooning over this casting news...

Hot off the heels of its panel at San Diego Comic-Con, CBS’ forthcoming reboot of Magnum P.I. has added actor Tim Kang to the cast as Detective Gordon Katsumoto.

It looks like Katsumoto is gonna be butting heads with Jay Hernandez’s Magnum, wrangling at crime scenes and arguing over dead bodies But in the end, Katsumoto and Magnum are more alike than they care to admit.

Tim Kang is one of my many tv-boyfriends, and I'll be glad to see him back on the screen!

• Love 1

I thought the Asian detective in the trailer from the pilot may have been a stand in for Lieutenant. Tanaka. I wonder if this will be like  the S.W.A.T. reboot and ignore a legacy character (Tanaka) for some other reason just  to bring in a similar  character with an original name? 

From the Honolulu Star-Advertiser‘Magnum P.I.’ to Screen with ‘Hawaii Five-0’ at Sunset on the Beach

For the Magnum fans who aren’t also Five-0 fans (or who aren’t otherwise familiar with Sunset on the Beach), the whole Sunset on the Beach event (at least in its present form) really started with Season 1 of the Five-0 reboot & has been done every season since, though there were also Sunset on the Beach events for at least some seasons of Lost, prior to the beginning of what’s become the annual  Hawaii Five-0 tradition. Usually SOTB, as it’s called for short, is held on a day late in the week or over the weekend, at least a couple of weeks before the season premiere episode airs on CBS.

According to this, SOTB—which is FREE, as far as admission is concerned, & open to the public (people in the resort hotels that have a good view of the Queen’s Surf Beach area from their rooms also have been known to watch the festivities from there) originally started out as the showing of popular movies on a big (30-foot) screen set up on Queen’s Surf Beach, across from the Honolulu Zoo. There’s also live Hawaiian-style entertainment, deejays, & food trucks/mobile units of local restaurants serving food. The film(s) was (were) screened after sunset, & the events usually ran from about 4-9PM local time. It was then sponsored by the Waikīkī Improvement Association, the website where the link in this paragraph goes to.

In more recent years, it’s become a way for the Five-0 (& now Magnum) producers to give back to the residents of Honolulu for putting up with the disruptions, & long months, involved in shooting the show(s) on location in the city & surrounding area. It’s also become a big gathering for the fans of Five-0 (& hopefully also Magnum in the future).

In this form it’s sponsored by CBS & various corporate sponsors whose products, businesses, & services are seen, used, or otherwise mentioned in the show. It still retains the original elements of Hawaiian-style entertainment, deejays, the availability of local food, & a screening of something on the big movie screen (usually an advance screening, before the rest of the country sees it on CBS, of the season premiere episode of Five-0, now on a double feature bill with an advance screening, before the rest of the country sees it on CBS, of the series—& hopefully, in the future, season—premiere of the new Magnum). 

As attendees are known to hit the beach very early the day of, to stake out a good place to both (hopefully) make contact with the cast members expected to be in attendance & to see the big screen well during the episode(s) screening(s), Peter Lenkov, the showrunner of, & man behind, the Magnum & Five-0 (& MacGyver) reboots, who’s attended every SOTB, has usually dropped by the SOTB site to pass out malasadas &/or coco puffs (very popular Hawaiian pastry delicacies), usually around noon local time, I think; sometimes along with some of the (usually supporting) cast members. He also has passed out, without any prerequisite, “swag” related to the show to anybody already waiting, &/or asked show-related trivia questions with the show “swag” as the prizes for correct answers. 

With these SOTBs, there’s a red carpet entrance by the cast members in attendance (they also sign as many autographs for, speak with, & take as many selfies as possible with the fans between their arrival & the start of the main program); the cast members in attendance are also brought onstage & introduced, once the part of the program involving the episode screening begins, at which time 1 of them, possibly along with 1 of the producers, makes some kind of speech to the fans on behalf of the show’s cast & producers. Then the episode is screened. According to the linked article, the entire cast of Magnum & all of the “main stars” of Five-0 will be in attendance (certain Five-0 stars, past & current, have skipped the event in previous years though, & their attendance isn’t mandatory).

In recent years, the SOTB event has also included a musical performance by a nationally-known artist (this year it’s Cyndi Lauper), who usually ends up as a guest star, or with a cameo appearance in, whatever episode of the show is being filmed the same week as SOTB is scheduled (or they have another connection to the show; like John Ondrasik, the voice behind the pop group Five for Fighting, was the musical guest at SOTB a few years ago, the same year Five-0 was airing their 100th episode, because he had written a song specifically for use at the end of that milestone episode). Considering this year’s SOTB celebrates the new seasons of both Five-0 & Magnum as they both film in & around Honolulu, & the musical guest at SOTB has also, it ended up, coincidentally been there to film a part in an episode of the show(s) at the same time, if this “tradition” holds, Cyndi Lauper could be appearing in, or perhaps contributing a song to, an episode of either Five-0 or Magnum (or both). I haven’t yet heard she’s appearing in either, or both, though.

Sorry for the long-winded post. I thought a better explanation of the event than was in the linked article was necessary, in case anyone might consider attending the event since it’s the first for the Magnum reboot. 

On 5/16/2018 at 8:35 PM, Raja said:

There is the debate from the original if Hawaii 5-0 was a real thing or a joke from Magnum. Judging by the detective's comment in the trailer I would expect someone from the 5-0 task force to make a cameo appearance.

I don’t know if anyone from Five-0 will be in the Magnum Pilot, but it sounds like Peter Lenkov (showrunner for both shows, plus the MacGyver reboot which films in the Atlanta area) does have plans for a crossover between the shows at some point. He’s mentioned it in recent interviews, I’m pretty sure.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:03 AM, Raja said:

I think it was more than Tom Selleck, it was the return and making peace with the Vietnam veterans who might have been spat upon when they returned home. A Navy SEAL who jumped into North Korea, maybe to save 5-0 on one of their missions there, doesn't carry the same cultural weight as the original had in 1980.

That Higgins was a Sergeant Major telling stories of his nation pulling back from a fading empire, along with Magnum, Rick and TC being from a losing cause  will definitely be lost with a James Bond who looks like she should be at the peak of her career and not retired  to maybe writing books under the Robin Masters name

According to a voiceover by Magnum in the trailer, Robin Masters is a male. At least as far as he knows. I’m not saying they won’t eventually do the thing from the original where Magnum starts to wonder if Higgins & Robin Masters are the same, but Robin Masters is referred to using a male pronoun in the first look trailer (which I just watched again).

On 5/17/2018 at 2:18 PM, Raja said:

Well that is the way it goes now from MacGyver to Prime Suspect to Cagney and Lacey being in development. If the movies don't get it first and make a spoof of the original then expect just about any show coming to steal the premise,  legacy and maybe the theme song of an old show to try to kick start the pitch.

It is not so much the Navy as the N in NCIS franchise means just about nothing since Bellasario was forced out, that we have out the wazoo but it is an elite bias as regular sailors also do not apply just any SEALs, or in the case with SEAL Team and 6 just Development Group, "we don't actually call SEAL Team 6" SEALs.

I just watched the first look trailer, which somebody embedded in a post in this thread, again. They use the same theme song as was in the original series in the trailer, so presumably they’re using it for the reboot too. They used the original theme with the Hawaii Five-0 reboot too.

On 5/26/2018 at 10:32 AM, reggiejax said:

I was curious, so I looked it up, the original Hawaii Five-O ended it's run in 1980, with the new series premiering in 2010. A difference of 30 years.

Magnum ended it's run in 1988. It will premiere this fall, 30 years later.

Perception is an amazing thing.

And this year is the 50th anniversary of the premiere of the original Hawaii Five-O. Time flies.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:20 AM, Jamoche said:

Wow, 1980? I was a kid in the 70s and I would've sworn it ended around 1972 - and I do remember my parents watching it, plus I was born in Hawaii and read TV Guide cover-to-cover (that was the TWoP/PTV of its day) so I think I'd have remembered if there was any buzz.

The original H50 ended in the Spring of 1980, after premiering in the Fall of 1968 & running 12 seasons. I’ve always heard the original Magnum was conceived, at least partly, as a way of keeping the studio where H50 filmed open, & not going to waste/falling into disrepair, & the locally-based crew members who had worked on H50 employed after filming of H50 ended since (I don’t think) that many movies or other TV shows were filming on location there on a regular basis, back in the day.

On 5/27/2018 at 4:15 PM, BigDfromLA said:

I would have preferred a show featuring Magnum's daughter, Lily, who came from the episodes with Magnum's wife Michelle, which I think were the two best episodes of the original series. Lily would be what, late 20's-early 30's now? Selleck could have guest starred as her father Thomas Magnum in a few episodes as well.

Will the T.C. and Rick characters be featured in the new show?

Yes, TC & Rick are in the new show. So are Magnum (naturally) & Higgins, although Higgins is a female this time. TC & Rick are also very prominent in the first look trailer linked in this thread. Just don’t expect Roger E. Mosley & Larry Manetti to play them this time (Larry Manetti actually has a recurring role in the current version of Five-0). Or John Hillerman to play Higgins; especially since he died last year, & I think he had retired from acting at some point before that.

The trailer did not impress me. Kind of cute, but not the same thing. Female Higgins, ok but young and hot? Higgins was always kind of a father figure, so having her be young... put me in the "no romance please" club. Would have been nice to have one of the other buddies be a woman.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, andipandi said:

The trailer did not impress me. Kind of cute, but not the same thing. Female Higgins, ok but young and hot? Higgins was always kind of a father figure, so having her be young... put me in the "no romance please" club. Would have been nice to have one of the other buddies be a woman.

Completely agree on both accounts. I would have preferred the gender-switch taking place with one of the buddies. One of the most genius things about Leverage was that they gave the crazy-unstable-yet-lovable part (i.e. Murdock) not just to a woman but to a tiny blonde - 99% of shows with a similar set-up would have turned her into the grifter character in the team. It was unexpected and it was great. That's why I would have preferred a female TC. 

• Love 3

I can see how they may have felt like they couldn't replicate the original Higgins/Magnum dynamic, and they had to take Higgins a very different direction. But young hot woman? Blech.

BTW, remember when not everyone on TV was hot? Case in point, the original Magnum cast! In my eyes, only Magnum was above average. I remember a few years ago musing that if it was cast today they'd all be beautiful people....and, well, here we are.

On 8/23/2018 at 8:06 AM, MissLucas said:

Completely agree on both accounts. I would have preferred the gender-switch taking place with one of the buddies. One of the most genius things about Leverage was that they gave the crazy-unstable-yet-lovable part (i.e. Murdock) not just to a woman but to a tiny blonde - 99% of shows with a similar set-up would have turned her into the grifter character in the team. It was unexpected and it was great. That's why I would have preferred a female TC. 

TC would have been great! At first I thought Rick was the obvious choice for a switch, but that was just gendered thinking on my part. A female pilot veteran is a much more interesting idea.

The promos look lame IMO. Casting isn't looking promising.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, snarktini said:

The promos look lame IMO. Casting isn't looking promising.

I agree. I saw this the other day and thought it looked more like a Magnum PI Halloween costume than an actual promo shot.

nope.jpg

While I wish they had applied the gender-switch to another character I'm actually more worried about the de-aging of the character than the gender-switch. What made the original Higgins such a great character? Well beyond comic relief by acting as Magnum's antagonist/nemesis on the estate, the British stiff-upper lip (delivered by a Texan) it was the fact that he was a veteran with combat experience. He understood what Magnum and the others had been through. And on occasion be became a father figure - a reluctant and grumpy one but still. And that was what made the character emotionally relevant and provided some of the best episodes.

New Higgins has the accent and combat skills and judging from the bits we've seen she brings the anagonist/nemesis aspect of the character. I'm not particularly troubled about any shipping - since Hawaii Five-O was wise enough to not. pair Kono/McGarrett. The loss of the emotional relevance original Higgins brought to the table bothers me more. Sure, by making her former MI6 she might carry her own version of PTSD (I bet she does) but she still lacks the wisdom of age and experience of life after action that original Higgins had.

• Love 8

TV Review: ‘Magnum P.I.’An exposition-heavy hour fails to soar despite plenty of action

As Thomas Magnum, Hernandez is charming enough, and does yeoman’s work selling the show’s endless voice-over. It’s a fair question, perhaps, how much the show will let us get to know him. An incident at the Television Critics Association press tour, when the show’s executive producer erroneously said that the show has no Latinx writers on staff, marked a moment in which the show’s priorities became clear when it came to fleshing out Magnum as a real person played by a Latino actor.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

While I wish they had applied the gender-switch to another character I'm actually more worried about the de-aging of the character than the gender-switch. What made the original Higgins such a great character? Well beyond comic relief by acting as Magnum's antagonist/nemesis on the estate, the British stiff-upper lip (delivered by a Texan) it was the fact that he was a veteran with combat experience. He understood what Magnum and the others had been through. And on occasion be became a father figure - a reluctant and grumpy one but still. And that was what made the character emotionally relevant and provided some of the best episodes.

New Higgins has the accent and combat skills and judging from the bits we've seen she brings the anagonist/nemesis aspect of the character. I'm not particularly troubled about any shipping - since Hawaii Five-O was wise enough to not. pair Kono/McGarrett. The loss of the emotional relevance original Higgins brought to the table bothers me more. Sure, by making her former MI6 she might carry her own version of PTSD (I bet she does) but she still lacks the wisdom of age and experience of life after action that original Higgins had.

Not only was the Sergeant Major a veteran but the bulk of his stories came from his service for an empire in decline to go along with Magnum coming from a losing effort in Vietnam.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, paigow said:

Bring Linda Hunt over from NCIS: Everywhere

He! That'd be awesome! Seriously though that's a good example how a show managed to gender-switch the elderly mentor-paternal-substitute character without falling into a mommy trap. (Not that Hetty's character is without problems but that discussion belongs elsewhere.)

I don’t even plan on watching this, but I just had to complain about them appropriating part of the title of one of the most shocking moments in tv history. (At least, it was to me when I saw it in its first broadcast.) Even if it is just a slight reference, it still irritates. I don’t want to give them my attention just because of that, but I will see what everyone else here thinks. 

• Love 1

Execute is a legal state killing, Thomas murdered Ivan. In any event it certainly seems as if they are going to top load the greatest hits in order to fight the early cancellation hook. It worked for Hawaii 5-0, in their first 100 episodes they had more Wo Fat appearances then the Jack Lord version had in its entire run.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I don’t even plan on watching this, but I just had to complain about them appropriating part of the title of one of the most shocking moments in tv history. (At least, it was to me when I saw it in its first broadcast.) Even if it is just a slight reference, it still irritates. I don’t want to give them my attention just because of that, but I will see what everyone else here thinks. 

Absolutely agree.  I had not planned on watching because, well, Tom Selleck is and always will be the consummate Thomas Magnum.  When I heard the title, I was horrified.  Sacrilege!

• Love 4

This is boring.  “Sullivan” is boring, and he’s not a good actor.  Juliet seems okay, and I like TC, but unless there’s an H50 crossover, I won’t be watching.  Oh, and Kamekhona is the one to see abt what’s going on in the Islands.

But it was nice to see Noelani and Kaveeka.

• Love 2

So what does the title refer to?

Ten minutes in and we have a poop joke. 11 minutes in we have a shirtless hot guy. I guess they’re trying to appeal to a wide audience.

19 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

ELI5, please?

Marine and Naval Officers in their dress uniforms and disrespecting said uniforms. What not to like? One and done.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, roamyn said:

This is boring.  “Sullivan” is boring, and he’s not a good actor.  Juliet seems okay, and I like TC, but unless there’s an H50 crossover, I won’t be watching.  

That is already in the works.

This was....aight.  Not great, not the worst pilot I will see this season.  I really hope Jay's narration vastly improves though.  The great thing about Selleck that he had a certain zip because it felt he was in on the joke on how laid back this guy's life was.  I'm not sensing it in this.

For now, it's enough to flip back and forth between Dancing With The Stars.  But he has to break out fast enough in order to survive without the Big Bang lead in. 

First off, Magnum has a hairy chest. It’s like the law. Everyone knows that. Secondly, the Robin Masters estate is amazing and I want to live there. Thirdly, this reboot wasn’t needed. It’s not totally horrible and the new Magnum has some screen presence but he ain’t no Tom Selleck. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, TV Anonymous said:

Marine and Naval Officers in their dress uniforms and disrespecting said uniforms. What not to like? One and done

As I am a civilian would someone please explain this to me.

Thanks.

Also, I don't understand the references to the title of the epi being disrespectful.  I would appreciate someone helping me with that as well.

I feel a bit dumb to tell you the truth, but will soldier on.

This was a god awful episode.  I am not feeling the new Higgins, the  old one was everything you needed and an instantly identifiable stereotype that moved the story along.

The lead is, I am sure, a nice person and probably a good actor, but doesn't seem to have the sort of off kilter look at life that the original had.  That said I know I watched the original from the get go, but do not remember the pilot, so perhaps there were problems there as well.

I guess I will give it another chance, but really, there was nothing that was so great that I would HAVE to come back.....if some other bright shiny thing crossed my path I'd follow that rather than watch epi 2.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, deaja said:

Ten minutes in and we have a poop joke. 11 minutes in we have a shirtless hot guy. I guess they’re trying to appeal to a wide audience.

What hot guy? Magnum? I don't see it. Tom Selleck as Magnum was charming..this guy...not so much. I mean with Selleck  you could totally understand why someone would give him the run of their house and the women would be all over him this actor just doesn't have the presence in my opinion. Seems perfectly nice but bland. He takes up no space and isn't who I first notice in a scene. I stopped watching 20 minutes in though. Maybe it got better? I'm out. Count it as a failed reboot in my opinion. At least I watched a full 2 seasons of H50 before I got bored. 

• Love 3

Well, it was a new TV show. I'm not overly impressed yet. I was really bothered by pseudo-Magnum showing up in dress whites at the end, and being unshaven. I know scruff is in now, but it didn't seem appropriate with the uniform. And, BTW, can someone tell me if you can just wear your uniform whenever you feel like it once you've mustered out? 

• Love 5

The original Magnum was a likeable prick.  This guy is just a prick.  

I'd be OK with the new Higgins, if she weren't so immediately chummy.  Higgins of Old took quite a while before he warmed up to Magnum.  And even then it wasn't all that warm.

Like others, I don't understand the dissatisfaction with the title.  Guess my memory of the original series must be poor, or something.

How come the armed forces don't have a Hawaiian "Short Pants" version of the uniform to go with the scruffy-assed beachcomber beards?

ETA: @rur beat me to the beard comment...

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, deaja said:

2 hours ago, TV Anonymous said:

ELI5, please?

Marine and Naval Officers in their dress uniforms and disrespecting said uniforms. What not to like? One and done.

In the original series where Nuzio showed up as a one episode and out character, and probably the most well known episode, because of Magnum and Rick being heroes, murdering  the Soviet spy Ivan was titled "Did You See The Sunrise". The trailer looked like it was a remake of the original series first episode and in many ways this episode played the same. With the addition of Thomas and friends being POW's in Afghanistan who somehow avoided getting their heads sawed off on video instead of in Vietnam in Did You See The Sunrise.

LT Tanaka of HPD is now confirmed using another legacy name from the original series and the Hawaii 5-0 replacement Medical Examiner Dr. Noelani Cunha   confirms the shared fictional universe. Lieutenant Commander McGarrett of 5-0, no longer on SEAL duty with relaxed grooming standards also disrespected the uniform on many occasions.

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2

Not impressed either.  The lead just doesn't seem to have the presence to carry the title character of the show.  At least from what I saw from this 1st episode.  Everyone else was OK.  I kinda liked Higgins being from MI-6.  And it looks like she is being set up to be part of the team. 

But not impressed with the show in general.  I can't see it lasting too long.  But then again, I wasn't a huge fan of the Five-O reboot.  And it's been on how many seasons now?  So I definitely have been wrong before about these sort of things. 

I also hated that two Ferrari's gave their lives during shooting of this episode.  ;)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, brgjoe said:

also hated that two Ferrari's gave their lives during shooting of this episode.  ;)

My boyfriend always worries about cars being destroyed in tv and film so I just deleted this before he got home, he won’t miss it because he is never aware what new shows are happening but I dvr things I think he might like, this was such crap and along with the car carnage it will have never existed in his world!

moved From the ep thread

I actually think it was necessary for her to be nicer right away because of the combo gender switch and making her the same age, I actually think it was much more necessary because of the age change than the gender change but if Juliet was like Higgins 1.0 It wouldn’t have read the same because most of their issues were a generational gap and how that exasperated the cultural gap between the two.

I also found them treating the POW situation in Afghanistan similarly to the POW situation in Vietnam hugely problematic. There were very few POWs in Afghanistan, they were either rescued or killed fairly shortly after capture and there weren’t kept in camps. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2

Did You See The Sunrise? was a two-part episode broadcast on one night as the  third season opener for the original series.  This episode intersects in many ways, and also takes a few ideas from the OS pilot.  Did You See The Sunrise? was excellent and shocking (killed recurring character Mac (the original Mac), killed one Ferrari, and at the end, the good guy / hero killed the bad guy who was going to get away because he had diplomatic immunity.  The heroic good guy in american television usually doesn't commit premeditated murder... which we can infer was not at all closely investigated by anybody on either side of the Cold War, because a) Ivan's plan was known and probably inconveniently embarrassing to the Soviets and b) he was committing a really nasty incident on U.S. soil by targeting foreign royalty.  One of the niceties of the Cold War is that the "battles" were usually fought through third countries....  So, apart from names, POW bonding, and Buck Green(e), not much in common.

I did like the visual gag about why Rick doesn't go by Orville.

Title sequence is too short, not enough theme music.   In fact it is my impression that there was more theme music in the First Look clip.

I'll give it a try.  Frankly, about half of the first half of the first season of the OS was crap.

Where is the new Robin's Nest?  I want to Google Earth it.   Assuming, that is, that they don't re-locate after the pilot.  It looks very expensive, and much much bigger than the original Robin's Nest (which I found while on vacation on O'ahu in 1986 - I recognized the gate while driving by and managed to not cause an accident while slamming on the brakes).

Edited by kassygreene
  • Love 5

I  came away with the impression that they are trying for the feel of classic Magnum, but don't quite know how to get there. I'll tell you how: character.  Also tone. Also, most of the really memorable scenes were quiet. 

This is Magnum: The Explosion Years.

That said, I'll try a few more episodes; pilot episodes are often different than the rest of the series.

And I'm glad that they explained away the tropical North Korea bit so I wasn't left screaming "North Korea isn't tropical!" at my TV.

• Love 4

I watched solely for Domenick Lombardozzi knowing he was the 1st one to die and still I was pissed offtbay he died so soon.

The narration reminded me of someone who really need to work on reading with expression, or someone reading off of a PowerPoint presentation.  

I recorded it because I was tired and didn’t want to not see it but I really want to watch the original now  

Edited by Veronica
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, kaygeeret said:

As I am a civilian would someone please explain this to me.

Thanks.

When military members (or former) are in uniform, they have to adhere to grooming standards. In the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps, the grooming standards include not wearing any beard. Mustache (Tom Selleck-style) is allowed, but not beards. Not shaving the beards while wearing the uniforms means disrespecting said uniforms.

• Love 14
5 hours ago, biakbiak said:

moved From the ep thread

I actually think it was necessary for her to be nicer right away because of the combo gender switch and making her the same age, I actually think it was much more necessary because of the age change than the gender change but if Juliet was like Higgins 1.0 It wouldn’t have read the same because most of their issues were a generational gap and how that exasperated the cultural gap between the two.

I also found them treating the POW situation in Afghanistan similarly to the POW situation in Vietnam hugely problematic. There were very few POWs in Afghanistan, they were either rescued or killed fairly shortly after capture and there weren’t kept in camps. 

I agree about Afghanistan. Since they were special ops i would have went with  a mission  top secret destination unknown mission like the teased HALO jump into North Korea for the capture since we don't all have visions of execution videos for soldiers who fall in enemy hands in the main theatres of war against Islamic terrorist. It would also allow for an Ivan and Manchurian Candidate story from the original should they go with that story.

For some reason Magnum's ex boss was Buck Green was changed from a Marine to another SEAL. I guess they don't want the switch over to Naval Intelligence, that was already done with 5-0's McGarrett.  James Remar, the ultimate bad guy for me since he played Ganz against Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte in 48 Hrs seemed rather subdues when you A and b comparison his Captain to Lance LeGault's Colonel. I am betting that in a future episode Mac or Maggie plays the tough guy sailor that magnum contact's for help. But then Higgins took their part in the first episode when she got the satellite coverage. 

On 7/20/2018 at 8:54 PM, Raja said:

I thought the Asian detective in the trailer from the pilot may have been a stand in for Lieutenant. Tanaka. I wonder if this will be like  the S.W.A.T. reboot and ignore a legacy character (Tanaka) for some other reason just  to bring in a similar  character with an original name? 

It seems the comments from first trailer has been withdrawn from YouTube. I wonder if they changed the character's name to Tanaka after seeing comments like they changed TC from a Marine Staff Sergeant to a Major in the final cut.

Edited by Raja
11 hours ago, roamyn said:

This is boring.  “Sullivan” is boring, and he’s not a good actor.  Juliet seems okay, and I like TC, but unless there’s an H50 crossover, I won’t be watching.  Oh, and Kamekhona is the one to see abt what’s going on in the Islands.

But it was nice to see Noelani and  Kaveeka.

It’s pronounced “Kaveeka”, but it’s spelled Kawika. At least certain Hawaiian words are spelled with W’s but the W’s are pronounced like V’s; this is 1. By the way, it’s the Hawaiian word for the name “David”.

And there’s no h in Kamekona.

Also I keep reading Peter Lenkov’s planning a legit crossover between H50 & Magnum, at some point; not just having supporting characters like Noelani, Kawika & Kamekona appear in certain episodes. But that’s all they’re saying right now; not talking about specific storylines or airdates or anything.

• Love 1