Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

I'll preface this by providing the synopsis for the season finale:

“Bloodline” – Magnum and Higgins work a stalking case involving a man with a past in espionage. Also, Ethan asks Higgins to join him on an extended trip for Doctors Without Borders just as Magnum starts to open up to other possibilities, on the third season finale of MAGNUM P.I., Friday, May 7 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

So, we go from the end of 3.15;  Ethan - "I don't see the same person I have been in love with, so I need to get away from you - for half a year - to figure out if I can trust you and want a future with you.  I'll send you a couple of tear-stained postcards, maybe."

To 3.16;  Ethan - "(Prove you love me and) come with me to Kenya for 6 months!"

This s**t is straight out of soap opera territory.  Let me repeat, a f*ing soap opera.  I got better things to do with an hour of my life than watch that kinda crap, PTB.

As for the rest of 3.15, holy hell what a boat load of undeserved umbrage over nothing - save for Shammy, his angst was deserved and believable. 

Magnum freaks over the fact that his uncle and mom "cheated" on his deceased father 20 years after his death.  Like, really dude?   And the 'taking dance lessons to surprise wife' ending to the investigation was children's hour stuff.  Can't let beloved uncle see the 'dark' side of his job.

Ethan had the exact opposite reaction to the news that the woman he's dating and in love with was a former MI6 agent, to how I'd have taken said news.  Instead of being a mopey drama queen about it, I'd be a like a kid on Christmas day, "That is awesome!".   So she tells you she was former MI6, but you wonder if there's other stuff she's not telling you or if you can trust her.  Is he expecting some kind of answer like "Oh, well now I'm a devout Satanic worshipper and for fun on the weekends, Thomas and I sacrifice live animals to the Lord of the Underworld."??

The case kind of reminded me of Criminal Minds, with the whole "not good with/unattractive to women" reason for murder (the past one, that is).  And with the way the 'accidental' death of the woman who had just died was filmed [& CGI'd], either dad was holding on super tight forcing her to use all her strength and weight to pull away, or it wasn't accidental.  She went from standing in the middle of a decent-width path - for that type of place - to flying over the side.   That's LOL-worthy super bad editing by the production team.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1
(edited)

FGS writers, don’t turn Magnum PI into A Million Little Things! 2 biggest jerks of the night - Magnum & Ethan. They are getting upset over things that aren’t complicated, it’s so out of character. The Magnum that I know over the past 2 seasons will be thankful that his mom got someone that she can rely on especially while he’s deployed. Ethan is one cool dude, he’ll be delighted to have one badass girlfriend. Did the writers forget about the basic details and the nature of the characters that they’ve created?

Magnum’s uncle is relatable & believable, I like him. It’s good to see Higgin working with TC on a case, for a change. Once I saw Brian McNamara as the father, I knew he’s the killer. Shammy’s story is OK & quite compelling. I wanna see more TC, Rick and Shammy for next season, less Kumu, way less, and no Jin! Ethan’s story is so lame. Just because he is a doctor, the only available “escape route” is via Doctors Without Borders, ahh come on!

If Magnum/Higgin is the endgame, do it now, the slowburn is boring, do it now before the show get cancelled. Don’t be like MacGyver!

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Don’t be like MacGyver!

He! Actually I would rephrase that into 'Be like Elementary!' but that ship has sailed a long time ago *shows herself out*

Maybe I've just viewed relationships in a unique way, but I don't see bickering as translating into a good romantic relationship.  IMO bickering can get under the skin and all the joking can be quite belittling.  They are working really hard to "sell" Magnum and Higgins.  For the uncle to tell Magnum that he should be with Higgins after watching them dig into each other is just too much.

Apart from that I enjoyed this episode.  I enjoyed Higgins and TC together as well as Rick and Sammi.  I'm glad Magnum got over his issues with his uncle as I wouldn't mind seeing the uncle come back at some point.  Poor hiking woman-she was the only one in her family who wasn't a murderer...  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Maybe I've just viewed relationships in a unique way, but I don't see bickering as translating into a good romantic relationship.  IMO bickering can get under the skin and all the joking can be quite belittling.  They are working really hard to "sell" Magnum and Higgins.  For the uncle to tell Magnum that he should be with Higgins after watching them dig into each other is just too much.

Apart from that I enjoyed this episode.  I enjoyed Higgins and TC together as well as Rick and Sammi.  I'm glad Magnum got over his issues with his uncle as I wouldn't mind seeing the uncle come back at some point.  Poor hiking woman-she was the only one in her family who wasn't a murderer...  

I used to not care if Miggy was going to be a thing or not - not like my opinion would change anything, anywho - but I have accepted its a given, just a matter of time.  However, now I feel like I don't want it to happen because of this.

I said this before, but belittling someone with every chance given does not translate to UST, its just mean and spiteful.  And we all know Higgins isn't going to stop doing that, even after and just because they get together.  From Magnum's POV, who would want to put up with that s**t - all the time - from a romantic partner?

• Love 4

I enjoyed most of season 1 but haven't watched any of season 2. Part of this is down to the stupid, racist visa thing with Higgins which I might have gotten over if it weren't for the obvious endgame of Magnum/Higgins. I can't get past the bickering and insults and it was a stretch for me to even see them as work partners.

However, couples like the current version of Juliet and Thomas do exist. A close friend of mine and her husband picked on each other constantly. They're still happily (I hope) married. I just do everything in my power to never spend time with both of them together.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, akg said:

I enjoyed most of season 1 but haven't watched any of season 2. Part of this is down to the stupid, racist visa thing with Higgins which I might have gotten over if it weren't for the obvious endgame of Magnum/Higgins. I can't get past the bickering and insults and it was a stretch for me to even see them as work partners.

However, couples like the current version of Juliet and Thomas do exist. A close friend of mine and her husband picked on each other constantly. They're still happily (I hope) married. I just do everything in my power to never spend time with both of them together.

I don't doubt there are a very select few couples who do have that dynamic, and if it works for them then great.  But in regards to the Miggy version of such a relationship, its really not an equal give & take.  Higgins is predominantly the giver of pointed barbs and scornful snark, and Magnum the taker of said vitriol.

Maybe we're supposed to read into it that Magnum secretly gets off on that kind of treatment of his person by Higgins, but I can't think of too many people who would be able to take it on a constant daily basis - myself included.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

But in regards to the Miggy version of such a relationship, its really not an equal give & take.  Higgins is predominantly the giver of pointed barbs and scornful snark, and Magnum the taker of said vitriol.

THIS 👆

Higgins will continue doing this in every chance she gets, sometimes in front of other people. And Magnum will swallow everything like he usually does. Higgins needs someone like Gordy who isn’t afraid to put her back in her place when necessary. Richard must be a saint for putting up with her.

New name for Magnum - Magnoball 🤣

• Love 2

Higgins was certainly willing to put Magnum in "his place" right in front of his beloved uncle (and she seemingly knew how important his uncle was in his life).  I don't understand why the writers think this is a positive, healthy relationship.  Yes, there are times they work well with each other, but her constant digging at him won't end and he'll eventually tire of it.  

Of course, when she quickly let the uncle know that she owned Robin's Nest, she left out the part that it was given to her due to her own oversights related to her visa (not so quick to point that one out...).

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

Higgins was certainly willing to put Magnum in "his place" right in front of his beloved uncle (and she seemingly knew how important his uncle was in his life).  I don't understand why the writers think this is a positive, healthy relationship.  Yes, there are times they work well with each other, but her constant digging at him won't end and he'll eventually tire of it.  

Of course, when she quickly let the uncle know that she owned Robin's Nest, she left out the part that it was given to her due to her own oversights related to her visa (not so quick to point that one out...).

Or that Magnum went way out of his way to come up with a ruse to 'trick' immigration from not deporting her.

• Love 3
(edited)

I kept my expectations very low going in to this finale, and they still couldn't meet them.

We're gonna have to put up with yet another full season of the soapy trope 'WT/WT', when we know very damned well that they WILL whenever the writers/PTB decide to stop dragging their damned feet with the ultra tiring "slow burn", the overworked version of writing techniques as to how to develop a romance in TV shows, and make the Miggy canon.

I'd make a prediction that Magnum will have a LI or PLI of his own when Higgins returns at the start of next season - following a 6-month time skip, which may or may not see Higgins & Ethan engaged - but that's extremely low hanging fruit.  Even lower hanging fruit would be guessing that Higgins comes back alone (maybe even before the 6 months elapse), having broken things off for good with Ethan, and Magnum will be with someone & she'll pine for Magnum for however many episodes, after a while Kumu will pull a Rick+TC+Shammy move by saying Higgins should "go after him" when the relationship he's in turns a bit rocky.   Wash, rinse, repeat.

"Dad" was a great former spy, linguistics-wise.  Didn't even have the slightest hint of a Russian accent after having defected years ago, even when talking to the actual Russians.  Oh, and that "quid pro quo" from the Russian RSV contact was the easiest setup for a future story/plotline as could be, Show.  I mean, cmon.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/3/2021 at 4:32 PM, seacliffsal said:

I don't get it either.  Bickering all the time is a sign of a bad match.

I don't see that much romantic chemistry in the Magnum/Higgins relationship.  I think Magnum has tried to be a good friend to Higgins, but she is constantly bitchy and closed off.  I'm not sure what he gets out of this?  There has not been any emotional progression  to make them a believable pairing, just the same tiresome fighting and bickering.  

While I'm here, I just have to bitch about Higgins' wardrobe and styling. Perdita Weeks does not look good in those tank tops that show half of her chest.  She has a muscular chest, and she looks like a bodybuilder in those tops. I am not cleavage shaming, just making an observation.  It just doesn't work on her, and it bugs me every fucking time (yet I still watch.) Please stop with the damn tank tops on Higgins, wardrobe folks.

Edited by nittany cougar
  • Love 1
(edited)

Forgot to add last night, somehow, but Jin added nothing to this episode.  Literally nothing.  Other than the gags about the memes, which were not humorous in the slightest.  And for a finale.  Enough Jin, PTB.  Just enough already.

If I didn't have 3 seasons and 56 episodes invested in this series, I'd likely have decided to not tune back in when season 4 starts up in the fall.  This show just isn't what it was in the first 1.5 seasons, up to and through the H50 crossover.  Not even close.

• Love 2

My heart sinks when I see that creature driving the Ferrari in the opening. Hey show, you don’t need Jin, he adds NOTHING! He isn’t even funny. You already have Rick/TC/Shammy to deliver the funny lines in light-hearted scenes. You don’t need an “actor” who looks like he doesn’t shower in weeks. Come on!

Am glad that Ethan has finally come to his senses. It’s good that he & Higgins will have their own time far away from Magnum. The writers totally screwed up this show with Higgins’ visa & faux wedding storyline. I don’t expect season 4 will be any better than season 1.

The wardrobe team doesn’t know how to dress Perdita Weeks since season 1. Her casual outfits are okay, we have seen her in nice dresses etc. but her PI outfits are terrible. The way she walks is quite “unique”, they have to consider this as well on top of her body type. Am just glad that she never go braless like Jen Aniston (Friends) and Shannen Doherty & Alyssa Milano (Charmed). 

• Love 4

Gosh, I think I hurt myself from all the eye-rolling.

After several episodes of Higgins (it felt like a whole season but whatever) complaining that she needs to make money in order to keep the estate afloat, now she can just waltz off for some 'Out of Africa' adventures with Ethan? And her only concern is leaving Magnum behind, the estate and the staff were mentioned as a mere afterthought. Have I missed an episode where she won a shitload of money in the lottery?

As usual when the FBI shows up in a show where they're not the leads they are complete dickheads. They could have gotten ex-spy's cooperation on a silver platter by pulling their resources to save his daughter - and gotten their hands on some rogue operatives as a sweet bonus. Instead they clutch the idiot-ball the writers handed them and let a man who's beyond his prime and just gotten shot overpower one of their finest and escape.

The bickering couple is an old literary trope - Shakespeare had his fun with it, as had the screwball comedies. But they did not have their couples bickering on for years without resolution. I guess the myth of the Moonlighting curse is looming over the writers room.

• Love 6

I was shocked when Magnum told Higgins she was his best friend (well, he actually said "ditto"...).  I thought the whole set-up was that TC and Rick were his best friends due to their imprisonment and other situations.  

I found it interesting that instead of going to Kamekona's (?) shrimp truck they introduced a Korean BBQ truck for them to hang out at the beach.  

I really wish they would work on making the Robin Nest story make sense (I know...).  How does it pay for itself?  What was the point of Robin even hiring Higgins in the first place if Kumo can take her place?  For someone who was soooooooo desperate to stay in Hawaii after her visa expired, why is Higgins now walking away?  So, Doctors without Borders has no problem with someone bringing a "plus 1" with just 3 days notice?  When will Robin finally take back Robin's Nest so we can end the nonsense about Higgins owning it????

• Love 4
(edited)

I really wish they would work on making the Robin Nest story make sense (I know...).  How does it pay for itself?  What was the point of Robin even hiring Higgins in the first place if Kumo can take her place?  For someone who was soooooooo desperate to stay in Hawaii after her visa expired, why is Higgins now walking away?  So, Doctors without Borders has no problem with someone bringing a "plus 1" with just 3 days notice?  When will Robin finally take back Robin's Nest so we can end the nonsense about Higgins owning it????

Good point.

Yeah, so is he paying her way then?  Is she paying her own way (when she can't even barely keep Robin's Nest running, financially)??  Is DWB saying "Sure, bring her along, cause we just got lots of extra money to burn on unexpectedly invited SOs, round-trip tickets and all!"???

• Love 1

I found it interesting that instead of going to Kamekona's (?) shrimp truck they introduced a Korean BBQ truck for them to hang out at the beach.  

Being a retired Sumo wrestler I had been worried about Taylor Wiley's health during the last years of 5-0. Magnum might have fictionally jumped over the pandemic but in real life he sits on every higher risk group.  As the other 5-0 reoccurring characters have disappeared this season besides an earlier Flippa appearance and a mention of Doctor Noelani I am guessing that they are cutting all ties to 5-0.

As for ownership of an estate with no oblivious high rollers renting the venue why bother?

2 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Just saw a mention that the Magnum season finale had a dip in the ratings.

Can't say I'm too seriously surprised by that, considering the downturned trend in episode quality after the H5-0 crossover last season.

Probably partly because MacGyver ended and some only watched Magnum as a follow up, not as a stand-alone.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I would so prefer to see some of the secondary characters from 5-O in some of these episodes than them forcing Jin into episodes.  I would love to see Duke in some scenes at the police station!

• Love 2

I wonder - since even Dr Noelani was rarely seen this past season, & they might be phasing her out (due to wanting to cut all H5-O ties) - if they'll have the coroner/medical examiner on NCIS Hawai'i be the new go-to medical expert person for Magnum & Higgins, as well as other characters from the newest NCIS franchise spin-off.

1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I wonder - since even Dr Noelani was rarely seen this past season, & they might be phasing her out (due to wanting to cut all H5-O ties) - if they'll have the coroner/medical examiner on NCIS Hawai'i be the new go-to medical expert person for Magnum & Higgins, as well as other characters from the newest NCIS franchise spin-off.

Or perhaps their being missing is a result of limiting the bubble as part of COVID protocols? Since they have written out Magnum's old boss Buck Greene and Mac has disappeared since the pilot it would be strange to reintroduce US Navy entanglements, even in the form of NCIS after the two crossovers to launch a series, at this point.

For NCIS  since Joint Base Pearl-Hickam is such a big deal it would lead me to suspect their own new crew like the NCIS mothership  instead of sharing a medical examiner like New Orleans does with Jefferson Parish LA.

8 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Was the BBQ run by the Korean man we saw being rescued with his family in a flashback in the pilot? He helped Magnum figure out the numbers he was investigating while looking for Nuzo were coordinates in that episode and then disappeared for most of season 1. I think he showed up again briefly at the end of that season.

(edited)
4 hours ago, akg said:

Was the BBQ run by the Korean man we saw being rescued with his family in a flashback in the pilot? He helped Magnum figure out the numbers he was investigating while looking for Nuzo were coordinates in that episode and then disappeared for most of season 1. I think he showed up again briefly at the end of that season.

He could have appeared again in late season 1 - don't recall - but he did make an appearance late last season (S2) when Magnum was still all about making the pouty jabs at TC for 'stealing' Higgins from him [the fake marriage to prevent her being sent back to the UK].

Pretty sure it was the beginning of the episode, anywhere in the 2.17 to 2.19 range.

4 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

He could have appeared again in late season 1 - don't recall - but he did make an appearance late last season (S2)

That's what I was thinking of. For some reason, I can never remember we're in season 3. I do remember being surprised the writers randomly included the BBQ guy so long after his first/only appearance. 

I’ll be honest; season 3 has been a bit of a disappointment to me. I felt they were really beginning to get somewhere after the 5-0/Magnum crossover & last year’s season finale. My wife & I felt Higgins & Magnum were finally going to hook up this year and....Ethan comes along & steals her away. Don’t get wrong, Ethan’s fine. Just a little childish for him to be upset about Higgins not telling him about her MI6 history till now. Decides “I want a break, i’m traveling overseas” to “OMG! I miss you! I love you! Come with me!” within 24 hours! 🙄seriously bro? I was hoping for a 5-0 or MacGyver crossover in the season finale, or at least a guest appearance by someone. Idk. Perhaps this is good for the show. Season 4 can focus more on Magnum getting his groove back & less on whiney Higgins. 

• Love 1

I do wonder why they think these Higgy leaving plots are worth repeating every year. Barring the s1 finale (I thought it was going back to MI6 was discussed there but that's s2), she's always getting the same storyline. In the s4 finale, she and Magnum can hash out their feelings while locked in the wine cellar, ok. Let Rick or TC have the big finale plotline for a change.

That must be so much fun for Perdita Weeks as well. Oh, where am I leaving for this time? The Kenya storyline was a little more bearable then the visa bullshit one, but it was still ugh. If your relationship is on the rocks (sort of), why would you go live with that person on the other side of the world for six months? That and she hasn't actually lived together with Ethan, I doubt she'll see much of him over there anyway and yeah, the writers needed to RESEARCH this storyline before writing it. I don't know if they actually have female writers but they direly need a good one. I just feel Higgy is very much written from a male POV. Pretty sure it's why I'm always yelling "ask her to dance" or "you don't know how this works, do you?" at my screen.

I have no real issues with Ethan, hissy fit notwithstanding. Um, when was he going to tell her about Kenya exactly? Because I think her holding back about her past does not trump going to Africa out of the blue for six months. The trouble is that he's just nice. Nothing more. IF they decide to have him back (and if Jay Ali wants to come back, given the fandom boo hissing) I hope they'll do something more with him then just nice. 

I also hope for more balance in s4. It's still an ensemble show and I'd like them to go back to their season 1 format more. Without the stupid childish bickering, that is. But you can tell the dynamic has shifted a bit too far now.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 6/12/2021 at 9:55 AM, Aliferously said:

I don't know if they actually have female writers but they direly need a good one. I just feel Higgy is very much written from a male POV. Pretty sure it's why I'm always yelling "ask her to dance" or "you don't know how this works, do you?" at my screen.

That's pretty much on brand though. I grew up watching original flavor Magnum P.I. and was just confused often wondering why Magnum always ended up with women (clients and/or love interests) who behaved erratically, stupid or just mean.* Took me a while to figure out the answer was 'Because the writing for this show is full of misogynistic tropes.'

There were exceptions of course. And I would not say that the writing for current Magnum P.I. is misogynistic - just similarly clueless.

And to answer your question: IMDB lists several female writers. 

* Sometimes I wondered if those fabled hormones would turn me into such an insufferable human being once they'd kick in. But that was more an overall side-effect of many shows written in the 70s and 80s. The glorious times when 'Charlie's Angels' were considered feminist icons.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 2

October 1 = season 4 premiere is only just over 10 weeks away.

Damn, the vacation (from the WT/WT-induced crappy & nonsensical storylines) is dwindling quick.

[although, don't see JA as part of the group being blessed in those pics above, assuming the whole Higgins/Ethan thing would still be ongoing to start off the new season]

18 minutes ago, Maren said:

Maybe we will luck out and Ethan will just be gone with a side comment of "We broke up, no biggie" and the story is over!

I can hope lol.

For not prolonging things for no reason - other than to keep adding fuel to the Miggy 'WT/WT' fire - I wouldn't mind.

But at the same time, if that's what happens, then the whole relationship would have been a waste of screen time last season.

They should have ended the whole thing after about 3 dates.  That's what it'll all end up amounting to anyways, in the long run - aside from Higgy's ~6 month trip to Kenya.

Right out of the well worn playbook. Magnum has a girlfriend she gets exiled to the mainland. Higgins gets a boyfriend he goes to Africa knowing he can't compete and Higgins comes back to find Magnum with another. Repeat the cycle two more times and by the series finale if they make the magic 7 years we are finally a couple

• Love 4
On 8/27/2021 at 5:11 PM, AnimeMania said:

Magnum P.I.: Chantal Thuy Joins Season 4 as HPD Detective/New Love Interest — Get First Look

Chantal-Thuy-Headshot.jpg

magnum-pi-chantal-thuy.jpg?w=620

Chantal Thuy plays Lia Kaleo, a smart, street-savvy HPD Detective who has been secretly dating Magnum behind everyone’s back - including that of her partner, Gordon Katsumoto (Tim Kang).  And as the season progresses, we’ll learn that Lia’s relationship with Magnum isn’t the only secret she’s been keeping. 

23 hours ago, Raja said:

Right out of the well worn playbook. Magnum has a girlfriend she gets exiled to the mainland. Higgins gets a boyfriend he goes to Africa knowing he can't compete and Higgins comes back to find Magnum with another. Repeat the cycle two more times and by the series finale if they make the magic 7 years we are finally a couple

Can already tell how this is gonna go. 

Like you said @Raja, Higgins will come back having broken things off with Ethan - because he thinks she's hung up on Magnum - and maybe already having realized her "love" for Magnum by the time she arrives back in Hawai'i, finds him dating someone else. 

And with the above mention of the PLI having a 'secret she's keeping' will cause Higgins to tell Magnum that she thinks his PLI is hiding something and doesn't trust her which will set Magnum off because he didn't interfere with her and Ethan, etc.  Ultra predictable.  *Yawn*

If M/H, or 'Miggy', isn't a canon thing as the credits close on this new season, I'd rather they just drop the whole subplot altogether.  WT/WT has a shelf life, imo.  You can only make it so obvious for so long before it becomes unbearable to put up with.  Endgame doesn't/shouldn't always have to mean closing moments of a series.

• Love 2

At this point the best entertainment value we can get is playing bingo on how the two ersatz love-interests will disappear.

• hidden agenda - being sent to spy - maybe even under duress with kid/family member (a favorite of the NCIS writers) - in that case must be saved and allowed to return to family
  • being killed off at key moment - before wedding/engagement - sparking a season long quest for revenge - sending character into abyss of darkness that only twu luv can save him/her from
  • terminal illness - not a favorite as there's no opportunity to for heroic shenanigans (rescue or revenge) that require lots of explosions
  • leaving because a supposed higher purpose showed up that requires sacrifice of relationship
  • falling for each other - leaving the OTP free to follow their heart - double wedding - everybody wins (I don't think I've ever seen that one play out)
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

At this point the best entertainment value we can get is playing bingo on how the two ersatz love-interests will disappear.

• hidden agenda - being sent to spy - maybe even under duress with kid/family member (a favorite of the NCIS writers) - in that case must be saved and allowed to return to family
  • being killed off at key moment - before wedding/engagement - sparking a season long quest for revenge - sending character into abyss of darkness that only twu luv can save him/her from
  • terminal illness - not a favorite as there's no opportunity to for heroic shenanigans (rescue or revenge) that require lots of explosions
  • leaving because a supposed higher purpose showed up that requires sacrifice of relationship
  • falling for each other - leaving the OTP free to follow their heart - double wedding - everybody wins (I don't think I've ever seen that one play out)

No matter which direction they take on either, there will be entertainment value to be had in just how badly the writers mess up with how they have it portrayed on-screen.

Look at what they did - or should I say, what they did not do - with that whole white SUV plot (or lack there of, honestly) from last season.  If it weren't for a writer admitting so on Twitter, mostly everyone would be thinking that white SUV would still be an open plot line from previously.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

My money is on she had a fiancé who went missing in the military and Magnum uses his super secret military connections to learn that he is still alive somewhere and maybe needs to be rescued by the Magnum bunch. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

My money is on she had a fiancé who went missing in the military and Magnum uses his super secret military connections to learn that he is still alive somewhere and maybe needs to be rescued by the Magnum bunch. 

That's almost right out of the recently cancelled MacGyver's writing room playbook.

(the showrunner - being interviewed after finding out the series had been cancelled - said they were going to bring Desi's ex-bf back "from the dead" so those two could reunite and it would open the path to Mac/Riley in S6, had it not been cancelled [obviously])

• Useful 1

Yeah, I had been thinking towards a Desi rehash plotline too. 

I hope the actress is prepared for the heat she'll be exposed to, and as a very good Twitter comment said: They don't need love interests, they need a decent villain. Not sure where Ivan has been in s3 (he seems to be a very wishy washy villain, to say the least), but wouldn't that work better in the long term? Then they can have a cliffhanger in the season finale, which by s4 should be a given but anyway.

• Love 1

I just don't get why Magnum's relationship with Katsumoto's new partner needs to be a secret.  And is it a secret from everyone, or just Higgins?

I'm pretty much expecting it to be just Higgins, at this point.  This show does WT/WT anvilicious clues like its lawfully mandatory. 

Which makes the past Magnum/Abby + current Higgins/Ethan + Magnum/new LI, all the more grating because they're nothing more than "endgame ship-stalling" placeholders.

• Love 1
On 9/3/2021 at 11:55 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I just don't get why Magnum's relationship with Katsumoto's new partner needs to be a secret.  And is it a secret from everyone, or just Higgins?

I'm pretty much expecting it to be just Higgins, at this point.  This show does WT/WT anvilicious clues like its lawfully mandatory. 

Which makes the past Magnum/Abby + current Higgins/Ethan + Magnum/new LI, all the more grating because they're nothing more than "endgame ship-stalling" placeholders.

Could it be because of Katsumoto? As he's always had a hard time cutting Magnum any slack on any matter. Though, whatever the reason, might circle the drain rather soon, cause CBS dropped a little fall promo yesterday and twitter is going crazy with the 1-sec magnum/higgins content.

8 hours ago, Lya167 said:

Could it be because of Katsumoto? As he's always had a hard time cutting Magnum any slack on any matter. Though, whatever the reason, might circle the drain rather soon, cause CBS dropped a little fall promo yesterday and twitter is going crazy with the 1-sec magnum/higgins content.

Where can one find this fall promo?

38 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Where can one find this fall promo?

I'll try to embed here, hope it works! And since I'm not sure this is considered spoiler or not, better safe than sorry. If it doesn't work here, you can find under the hashtag magnumpi, in slow motion, in pictures, fan art... I don't think anyone managed to get this in HD yet, though. And the Magnum Writers account confirmed this is in the premiere.

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Lya167 said:

I'll try to embed here, hope it works! And since I'm not sure this is considered spoiler or not, better safe than sorry. If it doesn't work here, you can find under the hashtag magnumpi, in slow motion, in pictures, fan art... I don't think anyone managed to get this in HD yet, though. And the Magnum Writers account confirmed this is in the premiere.

Reveal spoiler

Thanks for providing that.

And I have been burned too many times thinking a promo was the true indication of what actually happens.  It certainly looks interesting and like 'confirmation' of what we all know is coming (at some point), but I've been fooled before enough to not immediately buy in that its 100% real.

• Love 1

The Two Seconds can be found on Twitter and I presume Instagram as well. I uh, didn't spend an hour last night gazing at those two second inspired meme / fan art of those two seconds or anything. Nope.

What I also gathered 

Spoiler

It's a scene from the premiere episode. Fairly certain it's a dream sequence, as I'm not sure where Higgy is in the premiere episode but presumably in Kenya for most of it.

We will still suffer whatsherface and pained expressions once the secret gets out, hopefully not for the entire season, but suffer we will. Trust me. I am sure she'll hand his pretty ass back on a silver platter at some point, though.

I have no idea why the relationship should be hidden from Katsumoto specifically, as Magnum is not a cop and it's not breaking any fraternization rules. Also, they're both consenting adults so it would baffle me if they kept it from him for any reason.

Most Katsumoto would do is give Magnum the side eye, maybe? So only secret from Higgins I imagine. 

Edited by Aliferously
  • Love 1