Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, its almost guaranteed now that Ethan will be, at the very least, super shady if not a straight up bad guy.  That whole "I'm running a background check on him."/"No, don't do that!  Get over your hang-ups and have fun."/"Ok, just shred it.  I'm going out on another date with him." sequence?  Sealed the deal and put a stamp on it.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's working with whoever is behind the whole 'white SUV stalker' business, but I doubt he's the ultimate 'big bad mastermind'.

^ I haven't watched as much TV as others can claim, but I've seen enough to recognize an obvious feint and set up for more later.

I'm always ok with a Magnum/Higgins bonding moment, but a slight problem I have is... was Magnum's dad's watch worth a lot, or not?  I'm assuming it was if they were making a big deal of how expensive the new set of tires for the Ferrari was.  And if so, how can Higgins afford to buy the watch back if the cost for upkeep of Robin's Nest is, and I quote, "bleeding her dry"??

The last two episodes have been quite contradictory on this matter.  Is their excess money available to Higgins and the estate, or is there not?  Last week it was, "Get out of the guesthouse so I can rent it out... but move in (for basically free) with me at the main house.".  And this one was,  "The cost of running this whole property is bleeding me dry... but here's your expensive watch I just bought back for you." 

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

You can't apply much logic to this show.  This is supposedly post-pandemic, which fine.  But supposedly the bar is staying afloat on takeout business because people are still afraid to be in public spaces?   Tell that to the traffic jams on the road because people are packing any store, restaurant and bar currently open. 

Also, although the doctor will have something in his past how can it come as a surprise when Kumu pulled the report?   I guess the implication is she didn't read it.  But if she did a "deep dive" the she did more than just print off a Been Verified report and had to see the information she was pulling. 

8 hours ago, Maverick said:

You can't apply much logic to this show.  This is supposedly post-pandemic, which fine.  But supposedly the bar is staying afloat on takeout business because people are still afraid to be in public spaces?   Tell that to the traffic jams on the road because people are packing any store, restaurant and bar currently open. 

23 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was a little disappointed that Higgy and Magnum leave a perfectly good radio and machine gun on the ground only to spend a great deal of time looking for a radio and machine gun.

Reveal spoiler

How long will we have to wait to find out that Dr. Ethan is not as great a guy as he seems to be. I have watched way too much TV. It would be great if the one stalking Magnum was Katsumoto's baby-faced partner. 

I will give the show the benefit of doubt in the restaurant case. In the post pandemic Magnum world the business and tourism had not returned, it is good will to let the locals linger. Many of the island nations through closed borders and quarantine hotels have been relatively free compared to the mainland US states but only after you get in. I guess that is how Magnum PI bubbled its cast and crew compared to other shows with extras masked up while the stars unmask when they should mask and vice versa.

And unlike many shows when a team hunts somebody the drug mercenaries remained close enough to provide support to each other. Higgins barely got out we got to move but where when they started taking fire and couldn't break cover to retrieve the fallen guys gear.

What got me was they only traveled 5 kilometers from the rendezvous point yet it would take TC and Rick minutes to fly there?  And nobody heard it coming? And then what happened to the merc's  Black Hawk did they have the same funding problems for fuel that TC had? Perhaps they should have cut the infantry staff that is a very large team to pay.

Higgins' MacGyvering the battery was something McGarrett 2.0 pulled in the early years of H5-0, I wonder if it sat on a spec script somewhere before being adapted for Juliet

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Raja said:

And unlike many shows when a team hunts somebody the drug mercenaries remained close enough to provide support to each other. Higgins barely got out we got to move but where when they started taking fire and couldn't break cover to retrieve the fallen guys gear.

What got me was they only traveled 5 kilometers from the rendezvous point yet it would take TC and Rick minutes to fly there?  And nobody heard it coming? And then what happened to the merc's  Black Hawk did they have the same funding problems for fuel that TC had? Perhaps they should have cut the infantry staff that is a very large team to pay.

There were 3 of them, one could shoot the guy in the chest with a flare gun while the other 2 grab the necessary gear. Yes, TC's helicopter being so far away bothered me as well. I would have preferred if Magnum could have saved the flare gun to shoot the barrel that the guys were getting the fuel from, it would have made for a better scene and still could have set the cabin on fire. The flare in the guy's chest was also a nice scene.

16 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I'm always ok with a Magnum/Higgins bonding moment, but a slight problem I have is... was Magnum's dad's watch worth a lot, or not?  I'm assuming it was if they were making a big deal of how expensive the new set of tires for the Ferrari was.  And if so, how can Higgins afford to buy the watch back if the cost for upkeep of Robin's Nest is, and I quote, "bleeding her dry"??

A quick search shows that Ferari tires are something like $2K each so $8000 a set. His fathers watch was a Rolex and not the gold flashy kind and pretty old so probably worth a lot today in good condition. Average pawn sale of a Rolex is $2200, there are other places that will give you top dollar since Rolex are easy to sell.

A Rolex purchased for $345.97 in 1974 by a veteran is now worth $700K. 

http://www.military.com/off-duty/history/antiques-roadshow-vietnam-veteran

• Useful 1

I enjoyed watching Magnum take a backseat a bit here. He was clearly along for the ride at every point, but this was Higgins' operation. I laughed when he told her to stay in her lane. I do miss their lost cat cases sometimes though.

Science geek Higgins was cute. I like finding out little details about the characters like that and her grandmother teaching her to fly. I also liked the little detail that TC knew she was a pilot. It makes perfect sense, I just appreciate the show recognizing that.

Seeing Rick and TC trying to blow off Magnum's favor made me think of our conversation here. I don't think it says anything good about Magnum that he knew that offering to pay money he legitimately owed to a struggling small business in a timely manner would incentivize a favor. First off, that's not a favor. Second, expecting your friends to carry you financially is not a good look.

23 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

The last two episodes have been quite contradictory on this matter.  Is their excess money available to Higgins and the estate, or is there not?  Last week it was, "Get out of the guesthouse so I can rent it out... but move in (for basically free) with me at the main house.".  And this one was,  "The cost of running this whole property is bleeding me dry... but here's your expensive watch I just bought back for you." 

I think this is a perspective thing. Higgins was excited about the job because it paid 50K, not 5K. Basically this is a rich people problem. It takes tens of thousands to run and maintain an operation like Robin's Nest. She was talking about renting out just the guest house for 5 figures. I think on the scale that she needs and is after, Magnum's watch was a nice gesture last ep but small enough change to not matter overall to her.

22 hours ago, Maverick said:

Also, although the doctor will have something in his past how can it come as a surprise when Kumu pulled the report?   I guess the implication is she didn't read it.  But if she did a "deep dive" the she did more than just print off a Been Verified report and had to see the information she was pulling. 

I wondered this. Surely Kumu would give Juliet a head's up if there was anything to flag. Maybe it's going to be that she didn't know what she was looking for so therefore didn't see it. He definitely came off blander than bland this ep though. I was there for Juliet's 'too perfect' instinct.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, l star said:

I enjoyed watching Magnum take a backseat a bit here. He was clearly along for the ride at every point, but this was Higgins' operation. I laughed when he told her to stay in her lane. I do miss their lost cat cases sometimes though.

Science geek Higgins was cute. I like finding out little details about the characters like that and her grandmother teaching her to fly. I also liked the little detail that TC knew she was a pilot. It makes perfect sense, I just appreciate the show recognizing that.

That reinforces my thoughts that this basic story started life as McGarrett gets the plane with Danno along for the ride but another story was chosen to introduce the Super SEAL as a pilot.

Okay, I know that I can't let this go, but how does the daily stress of finding enough money to run the estate end up being less taxing than leaving when her visa expired and reapplying for another work visa?

And, Higgins taking the repo job because she needs the money?  What would Magnum get out of it or since he has a free room does she expect to keep all of the money they earn in their partnership?

And, I think that the two trees they hid behind this episode were the same ones they hid behind during the last episode.

Higgins sure has magical healing abilities.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, I know that I can't let this go, but how does the daily stress of finding enough money to run the estate end up being less taxing than leaving when her visa expired and reapplying for another work visa?

And, Higgins taking the repo job because she needs the money?  What would Magnum get out of it or since he has a free room does she expect to keep all of the money they earn in their partnership?

And, I think that the two trees they hid behind this episode were the same ones they hid behind during the last episode.

Reciprocity, in the end that is all Magnum has to offer. Not money but if the big 5 on the show needs SEAL or PI skills Magnum will be there for them 

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, highway61 said:

That was fun - 'Die Hard' enough to make it a Christmas episode, but enough twists to make it different!

I was thinking more the Die Hard sequels by the time John McClane had become a superhero. A Marine a SEAL and a British spy, welcome to America hero against a few mercenaries who didn't even know why they were there

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 12/15/2020 at 8:17 AM, seacliffsal said:

The more you show your tummy the faster you heal!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Although not enough scenery of Hawaii, I did enjoy this episode.  Liked that they called Gordon pretty quickly rather than getting overly involved before calling the HPD.  I was pretty certain Magnum was going to change places with the one terrorist when it was repeated multiple times that Higgins thought one of them looked like him.  

I really do like the various supporting actors they bring on the show. But, I also wish they would bring more of the supporting characters from Hawaii Five-0 to this show as I really liked many of them as well.

• Love 1
On 12/21/2020 at 7:29 AM, Brian Cronin said:

As an aside, Lou Whitaker really SHOULD be in the Hall of Fame. I'm sure he'll eventually get in, but they're making him wait way too long. 

Sorry, disagree. He's another for the "Hall of Good".  In 19 seasons - 

• Only 2,349 hits and a lifetime .276 hitter
  • Only 5 All-Star appearances and 3 Gold Gloves

He'll probably get in under the veteran's committee or whatever, just like Harold Baines.  They'll use the words "intangibles" and "good teammate".

Back to Die Hard in Paradise, I enjoyed the episode and liked the slightly different take on the concept.

3.05 episode synopsis;

“The Day Danger Walked In” – As a major hurricane hits the Island, Magnum and his friends find shelter inside La Mariana, along with two armed killers also escaping the dangerous storm. Also, Rick must confess to TC that he let the insurance lapse on the bar, on MAGNUM P.I., Friday, Jan. 15 (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Roger E. Mosley, who played TC in the original “Magnum, P.I.,” returns as Booky.

Spoilerish(?) speculation based off this...

Spoiler

Jay Ali (Dr. Ethan) is listed as a guest star in this one so I'm betting - assuming he's in La Mariana during the hurricane with Higgy and everyone else - that this is the episode where he starts seeing how special and close the bond is between Higgins & Magnum, or they go all out and have him give her his version of "there's someone better out there for you" speech & exit that Abby gave to Magnum back in S2.

Also assuming, again, he isn't part of the 'someone's after Magnum' plotline.

S03.E04: First the Beatdown, Then the Blowback   (01-08-2021)

Summary:  Magnum and Higgins help an up-and-coming mixed martial arts fighter who is being pressured by a gang to throw an illegal fight. Also, Kumu is arrested for stealing an artifact from a collector that should be returned to its original resting place.

So the super tech-savvy Higgins somehow mistakenly sends the "thanks for the sex" text message to Magnum's phone, when she most likely should have already been in a text convo with Dr. Ethan.  Oooh-k.  *sarcasm meter pegged*

Get out your umbrellas, its raining 'M/H endgame' anvils.

Episode was decent, but not great.  Not sure the MMA folks would necessarily appreciate the "everything's run by the Yakuza/mob" tagline on their sport, though - even if the entity claiming so is a fictional type of media.

Nice to see Kumu get a separate storyline, and the support of everyone.

• Love 2

I guess the idiot who bought the artifacts didn't realize that you're supposed to authenticate them BEFORE you put your money down. I don't see why Kumu just didn’t notify the authorities about the looted artifacts since I’m pretty sure the state of Hawaii would have confiscated them. Now the rich guy gets to keep all the other looted objects. Nice going Kumu!

• Love 3
On 1/6/2021 at 3:48 AM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

3.05 episode synopsis;

Spoilerish(?) speculation based off this...

Hide contents

Jay Ali (Dr. Ethan) is listed as a guest star in this one so I'm betting - assuming he's in La Mariana during the hurricane with Higgy and everyone else - that this is the episode where he starts seeing how special and close the bond is between Higgins & Magnum, or they go all out and have him give her his version of "there's someone better out there for you" speech & exit that Abby gave to Magnum back in S2.

Also assuming, again, he isn't part of the 'someone's after Magnum' plotline.

I think Ethan sticks around until at least 3.10. So not going anywhere soon.

Queries about this episode because yeah:

Spoiler

- Hurricanes are not sudden events. I assume people are given ample warning to stay home and not hang out in bars for the hell of it. You'd think someone should stick around at Robin's Nest if only to make sure there's no major damage or the dogs aren't hurt. 

- I really hope we don't get to spend every scene involving Magnum and Higgins in the same vicinity with him pouting because her boyfriend is there. 

- I refuse to believe Ethan is evil or part of the conspiracy just yet. I think he might grow tired of the high risk lifestyle eventually though. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Aliferously said:

I think Ethan sticks around until at least 3.10. So not going anywhere soon.

Queries about this episode because yeah:

Reveal spoiler

- Hurricanes are not sudden events. I assume people are given ample warning to stay home and not hang out in bars for the hell of it. You'd think someone should stick around at Robin's Nest if only to make sure there's no major damage or the dogs aren't hurt. 

- I really hope we don't get to spend every scene involving Magnum and Higgins in the same vicinity with him pouting because her boyfriend is there. 

- I refuse to believe Ethan is evil or part of the conspiracy just yet. I think he might grow tired of the high risk lifestyle eventually though. 

You could be right, as to how long Ethan is around.  And timing-wise, it'd make sense.  Episode 10 is the 'midseason' finale (for a 5-week hiatus, as its listed for now).

Spoiler

They've already changed the episode titles for next week and the following one, so not sure we can take the ones listed right now as concrete, but episode #12 of the season is (currently) titled as Magnum and Higgins.  Seems like an obvious nod towards the romance its heading towards with the main two characters, but they might surprise us and the episode will be very light on any romantic leans toward M/H.

I wasn’t crazy about this ep. The Kumu storyline was awful. Was I supposed to be supportive? She didn’t even know if it was the right skull! And what about the rest of the artifacts? Do they just not matter? Idiotic. I couldn’t believe that resolution either. I wanted the cop to just arrest them all for being stupid cliches. 

The main case was okay. Something about it was a little too easy or tied up too neatly though. I didn’t get how they took out the entire mob with that one action. 

Good things- I liked that Gordy gave them the case. I loved that pleated red dress that Higgins wore at the burial site. The conversation about Ethan was cute. I felt for Magnum- it’s hard realizing you were blown off. Higgins is too adorable any time Ethan is brought up to really care though. She just gets so happy and smile-y that I think Magnum is having trouble being too negative about any of it too. 

• Love 4

So, it's righteous and wonderful that one twelve year old boy's skull is returned to the cave while another twelve year old boy's skull is given to someone who buys antiquities most likely on the black market?

Cannot fathom that Higgins can run off on these cases and hangout with everyone all of the time when she "owns" a multi-million dollar estate and business and oversees hundreds of employees.

• Love 1

There’s got to be housekeeping and a grounds crew. Kumu, Magnum, maybe maintenance staff and someone to handle the tours. Plus the lawyers, accountants and whatnot that come with a large business. So I wouldn’t say hundreds but dozens is realistic. 

This was a good one! Magnum is full of shit though. I’m surprised TC can’t see how deep the jealousy goes and where it’s really coming from. I’m glad Ethan is sticking around. Trying to play hero was dumb but it also hit as realistic. I appreciate that he called Magnum out and cleared the air instead of letting it fester. Basically he’s fine with me for awhile. 

Finding out Magnum didn’t refill the generator would have sent me off the deep end. Of course his friends don’t seem to expect any better from him. I’m glad that dropping the insurance was about more than Rick being an idiot. TC was right to be angry though. He should have told him. 

I liked that the hostage situation was relatively short, but the pace stayed up. And we got a new hero!

47 minutes ago, l star said:

This was a good one! Magnum is full of shit though. I’m surprised TC can’t see how deep the jealousy goes and where it’s really coming from. I’m glad Ethan is sticking around. Trying to play hero was dumb but it also hit as realistic. I appreciate that he called Magnum out and cleared the air instead of letting it fester. Basically he’s fine with me for awhile. 

Finding out Magnum didn’t refill the generator would have sent me off the deep end. Of course his friends don’t seem to expect any better from him. I’m glad that dropping the insurance was about more than Rick being an idiot. TC was right to be angry though. He should have told him. 

I liked that the hostage situation was relatively short, but the pace stayed up. And we got a new hero!

I choose to believe that TC - and Rick, and Shammy, and Kumu, and Gordon - do see the jealousy for what it really is, but aren't ready to deal with it yet;  IE, Magnum's denial and actions aren't 'hurting' anyone (yet).  I think even Ethan got a real glimpse of the truth when Magnum fessed up about having to share her, whether the Doc wants to acknowledge it (yet) or not.

I might have imagined it, but I think I heard the gears in Magnum's brain grind to a half when Higgins told him she was glad that he liked Ethan and was supportive of their relationship, because she thinks its might get serious.  Its one thing when they had a 'high school romance' kinda thing going on, but now she's talking about (possibly) more than that.  

9 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

You guys do know that "Booky" is original recipe T.C., right??

(Yes, I know.  He was in an episode last year as well, which some of you acknowledged).

It just makes me wish more for Tom Selleck to make a special guest appearance one day.

I can't remember if they specifically said he was a Vietnam War veteran in the first appearance of Booky. He was near aviation at least in the back story, given he was playing poker at Da Nang Air Base in 1971-73.

• Love 1

What's this Juliet Higgins has never been ice skating? He really has no clue what competitive monster he is dating is he? I have so many questions as to why ice skating was the preferred option here. 

The line "I feel there's a tension between us" made me snort so hard I knocked over my drink.

I thought the Ethan/Higgins chemistry fell kind of flat once they got in the swing of things. 

Nope, not more serious and preferably no proposal somewhere down the line. Juliet is a competitive monster, but she's a terrible bride to be. It just never works out and I'd like it not to be a running gag.

3 hours ago, Aliferously said:

What's this Juliet Higgins has never been ice skating? He really has no clue what competitive monster he is dating is he? I have so many questions as to why ice skating was the preferred option here. 

The line "I feel there's a tension between us" made me snort so hard I knocked over my drink.

I thought the Ethan/Higgins chemistry fell kind of flat once they got in the swing of things. 

Nope, not more serious and preferably no proposal somewhere down the line. Juliet is a competitive monster, but she's a terrible bride to be. It just never works out and I'd like it not to be a running gag.

I wasn't feeling it either, but that's likely kind of intentional.  We all know the E/H is just a stepping stone to the endgame of M/H.

Can we talk about the crazyness of the intention of going ahead with the ice skating date before the NWS issued the SIP order?  I mean, a bad thunderstorm then ok, sure, go ahead but tempting fate with a hurricane that might avoid the area, but the possibility was not very assured?  Is Higgy so in love she is blinded to the slightest bit of common sense and safety concerns?? 

I mean, its too bad the ice skate rink would only be open that one day of the year...... 

17 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I wasn't feeling it either, but that's likely kind of intentional.  We all know the E/H is just a stepping stone to the endgame of M/H.

Can we talk about the crazyness of the intention of going ahead with the ice skating date before the NWS issued the SIP order?  I mean, a bad thunderstorm then ok, sure, go ahead but tempting fate with a hurricane that might avoid the area, but the possibility was not very assured?  Is Higgy so in love she is blinded to the slightest bit of common sense and safety concerns?? 

I mean, its too bad the ice skate rink would only be open that one day of the year...... 

I thought it was weird more because it kept sounding like he was up to something with the ice skating date--just the way he kept sounding elusive about it all.  But maybe it was more that he felt uncomfortable around Higgins group, I am not sure.  But it also didn't make sense to plan to go when a hurricane was coming.  

I did like the episode though, and how everyone worked together.

• Love 2

Wow Magnum reaching new levels of stupidity with this one. "I got a great idea! Let's prevent the armed killers from leaving all these innocent potential hostages." Then later he says to one of the killers "There's an armored car full of cash out there. Just take it and go." Except the killer can't go anywhere because the armored car is blocked in thanks to your brilliant plan.

Also it needn't be said that deliberately backing an SUV into a beautiful Porsche is a crime against humanity. You are dead to me Thomas Magnum!

Did the SUV not have a backup camera and sonar?   Late model, high end vehicle so I'm pretty sure it did.  Even if it didn't the cars didn't have to be butted up against each other to block the armored car. 

I was SURE Juliet's dude was a goner when they spent so much time humanizing him.

6 hours ago, Rambler said:

"There's an armored car full of cash out there. Just take it and go." Except the killer can't go anywhere because the armored car is blocked in thanks to your brilliant plan.

I think he knew what he was doing. Once the guy left and tried to go to his car, they would have been able to nab him. Thomas was just trying to get him to stop pointing the gun at them and go. He had no intention of letting the dude leave. He was trying to lure him into a false sense of security.

I was glad Rick told T.C. the truth and that T.C. talked to him about it, like they were adults. 

Loved seeing original recipe T.C.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I was amazed Hawaii even has ice skating rinks. 

Really, going for schrimp boats and ice skating doesn't tell me she's really that intent on seriously dating. I'm sure those are major date things at age 14, not so much for two adult high earners. But that's just me. And don't get me started on the "I'll go see him during visiting hours, no worries, because I'd rather be here waving a paint brush around." Like, at least look a little bit guilty? Just a thought.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Msample said:

Its hard to believe that 3 former special ops soldiers couldn't have just gotten the drop on the two baddies and just taken them out much earlier. 

Considering modern culture when Magnum said he was a sailor everybody thinks Navy SEAL and goes on alert.

22 minutes ago, Msample said:

Its hard to believe that 3 former special ops soldiers couldn't have just gotten the drop on the two baddies and just taken them out much earlier. 

It's even harder to believe that they didn't have any weapons at the bar. Where do they pull all of those guns out of whenever Magnum calls them and tells them he needs a posse. Magnum and Higgins always have guns in their car.

• Love 2

I think they said the reason they didn't pull guns and go all hero is due to the amount of people around, as well as them being kind of locked in there.

They figured since the guys seemed to be waiting it out, that they would as well, and hope that things wouldn't get weird until the storm had died down.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

It's even harder to believe that they didn't have any weapons at the bar. Where do they pull all of those guns out of whenever Magnum calls them and tells them he needs a posse. Magnum and Higgins always have guns in their car.

Last time Detective Katsumoto provided the rifle for Rick since they moved his legal problems to near the beginning instead of the last seasons as was done in the original show 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Aliferously said:

I was amazed Hawaii even has ice skating rinks. 

Really, going for schrimp boats and ice skating doesn't tell me she's really that intent on seriously dating. I'm sure those are major date things at age 14, not so much for two adult high earners. But that's just me. And don't get me started on the "I'll go see him during visiting hours, no worries, because I'd rather be here waving a paint brush around." Like, at least look a little bit guilty? Just a thought.

Yes.

And even if its just Ethan with the 'big bucks', why would you (as him) take a date to a shrimp shack instead of a fine indoor dining experience?  And if he wanted to do that, but she wanted the shrimp shack instead, shouldn't that make you go 'huh?'??  (I'm forgetting how it went or was explained in that short scene at the beginning of ep. 2 or 3 of this season, as to why they were there instead of a 'ritzier' location for a date)

I agree that "he can wait, while we overbrush this post and have an important personal moment while I beg of you to like & approve of my PLI" after his taking a bullet in your defense did seem kind of odd.  Kind of hard to want Magnum to really like him when you don't seem to be showing much 'like' for him yourself.

Yeah, about those visiting hours.

Had it been Magnum, she'd probably go camp out by his bedside, hell or high water. Just sayin'.

re: first date. Apparently cheap schrimp and expensive wine are a better deterrent against bad dates then a fancy restaurant would be.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Aliferously said:

Yeah, about those visiting hours.

Had it been Magnum, she'd probably go camp out by his bedside, hell or high water. Just sayin'.

re: first date. Apparently cheap schrimp and expensive wine are a better deterrent against bad dates then a fancy restaurant would be.

To me, the whole thing is tedious.  We all know M/H is endgame, so this H/E is just filler and not nearly as interesting as its supposed to be.

If they don't want to pair M/H up yet, fine, but don't make it seem like one or the other could potentially be in the process of obtaining a 'life partner' when its obviously not in the cards (for the long run).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

To me, the whole thing is tedious.  We all know M/H is endgame, so this H/E is just filler and not nearly as interesting as its supposed to be.

There is a maddening trope, dating all the way back to at least the eighties, where everyone knows the two leads are destined to be together, and then they throw someone together with one (or sometimes BOTH) of these people who is good-looking, awesome in every way, nice, intelligent, and completely the right fit, but nobody takes them seriously, because they might as well just label these people "monkey wrench."

It's silly and time consuming, and nobody really gets attached to/likes these characters, because they will be gone once they've served their purpose of getting the person to realize that they've made a horrible mistake getting so serious with MR, because they're in love with their partner.

I really like the doc and think he's adorable. I wish they'd introduced him as a semi-regular instead of Juliet's one wwu wuv.

• Love 2
On 1/15/2021 at 9:22 PM, Twilight Man said:

You guys do know that "Booky" is original recipe T.C., right??

(Yes, I know.  He was in an episode last year as well, which some of you acknowledged).

It just makes me wish more for Tom Selleck to make a special guest appearance one day.

The best part was when he refused the beer at the end since T.C. was a teetotaler.

As far as I'm concerned, Tom Selleck must not appear unless he's playing Robin Masters.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Starscream said:

The best part was when he refused the beer at the end since T.C. was a teetotaler.

As far as I'm concerned, Tom Selleck must not appear unless he's playing Robin Masters.

That is a good ideal but they already planted that Robin Masters was embedded with them in Afghanistan, so no possibility that Higgins is the actual writer plots that the original show played with. Even 15 years ago for Tom Selleck  seems a stretch for a writer of his age doing that.

Edited by Raja
6 hours ago, Raja said:

That is a good ideal but they already planted that Robin Masters was embedded with them in Afghanistan, so no possibility that Higgins is the actual writer plots that the original show played with. Even 15 years ago for Tom Selleck  seems a stretch for a writer of his age doing that.

Unless the real Robin Masters sent an employee, posing as Robin Masters into Afghanistan.  Or Higgins, as a master spy, has a bunch of different alias, one of which is Robin Masters, famed, but reclusive, writer and the person in Afghanistan was just a fake.

Yeah, if they decide they want to go the "actual writer plots that the original show played with" they will stretch it into whatever fiction works best.  Though I'll admit, the second potential explanation I've offered would require explaining what a random fake was doing joining embedding himself in a war if Higgins didn't send him there.  And it also neither explanation explains why the whole deportation plot line occurred.  That plot line was just dumb from start to finish.

Edited to add: I kinda want Booky to invest in Rick's bar so we can have more original recipe TC and current TC.  I loved original recipe TC when I was a kid (it was Rick I didn't care for back then).  And current TC is still awesome, so is current Rick.  I need to go back and revisit the old show at some point and see if original recipe Rick was better than my memory of him, or if I still agree.  (Note: This is not a condemnation of the actor, I just didn't like the character).

Edited by kirkola