Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The Day I Met The Devil

One of those episodes where you most miss Bellasario. Somehow Thomas got demoted to Lieutenant, only to still have his Lieutenant Commander rank insignia on in the opening credits. The naval services don't salute when not wearing a hat. I will give them a pass at the end, but not at the beginning when Thomas was reporting for reserve duty.

I guess with Detective Katsumoto, Higgins and Shammy joining rick and TC on the rescue was a slight homage to All For One when Jonathan Quayle Higgins joined the guys in a Mission MIA type return to Vietnam.

After just watching a return of Wo Fat, in a way , on 5-0 as soon as I saw the Twilight actor I just knew he had to be Ivan. He failed to impress. Just looking at the series it has done a commendable job of de-linking from the Tom Selleck version.

First Lieutenant Tanaka was done away with by the recast after the pilot episode. Mac was a one episode and  out as she hadn't been seen , but with Buck Greene now retired in disgrace?  Then Agatha was sent away to clear the field for Thomas and Juliet. And Ice-pick was said to be terminal.  Which leaves Luther Gillis

Edited by Raja
I mixed up a Rockford Files PI with a Magnum PI

I know it was a cliffhanger and the storyline continues but....who was Ivan and why was he after Hayek?  And for that matter, why did he want to use Magnum to get to Hayek?  I mean, I know Ivan is a big criminal and arms dealer but why the long elaborate plot including a home invasion to discover the "White Night's" identity?  I guess it all makes for a few good shows.

Was Capt. Greene played by Robert Patrick, the former Terminator guy?

3 minutes ago, susannot said:

I know it was a cliffhanger and the storyline continues but....who was Ivan and why was he after Hayek?  And for that matter, why did he want to use Magnum to get to Hayek?  I mean, I know Ivan is a big criminal and arms dealer but why the long elaborate plot including a home invasion to discover the "White Night's" identity?  I guess it all makes for a few good shows.

Was Capt. Greene played by Robert Patrick, the former Terminator guy?

Captain Greene was James Remar, the villain Ganz from 48 Hrs. Robert Patrick was the government agent in Scorpion

Ivan, I am not sure where that is going except for possibly the most famous original show episode being the endgame.

I guess since Hawaii 5-0's forum has episode threads discussion of the crossover is going on over there? Spoiler free. Part 1 was a good 5-0 episode I still think that Jay Hernandez does the light better while Tom Selleck's serious dark episodes were my favorite of him. Thomas, being little brother to McGarrett and Juliet, playing big sister to Tani worked well with most of the 5-0 task force.

• Love 1

Loved hearing Israel Kamakawiwo'ole song White Sandy Beach of Hawaii in the bar scene at the end.  

I never watch 5-O, but since this was a crossover, I did.  Not bad, but it didn't make me a convert.

• Love 1

I remember that street where Tani picked up an escaping and evading Quinn. I just can't remember if it was the Ivan episode or a Vietnam Michelle episode in the original series 

4 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

Loved hearing Israel Kamakawiwo'ole song White Sandy Beach of Hawaii in the bar scene at the end.  

I never watch 5-O, but since this was a crossover, I did.  Not bad, but it didn't make me a convert.

That is how I felt about 5-0. I didn’t really relate to their cast as quickly as I did with Magnum and MacGyver in the early days.  I liked the episode but mainly for the Magnum parts of it.  

• Love 2

I have watched the first few Magnum episodes and while I found them entertaining enough, I didn't like how often Magnum was getting beat up and/or humiliated in each episode. But I might go back and watch more, I've heard this show has had an impressive number of great guest appearances.

On the other hand, if you are not a 5-0 fan and have been wondering what that show is all about, you have it one right here: most of their time is spent chasing the wrong lead, they torture and/or murder suspects all the time and there's lots of unresolved sexual tension and forced comedy (like Kamekona trying to bribe a cop for example).

I take it Magnum does not often take a gun from someone and shoot their lackeys with it? Welcome to 5-0 where we do not represent for Team Non-Lethal! Want to straight up murder someone for getting in your way? Just make sure you're standing near a 5-0 member when you do it and you're all set! Seriously, it happens all the time on 5-0 where they will unofficially deputize someone who then gets to do everything they do up to and including icing bad guys without a second thought.

I appreciated that we got a guest appearance from Eddie. I wonder why he didn't like Higgins. He's also kind of a terrible guard dog. Wouldn't most dogs be barking as soon as they heard someone at the door? I guess Steve has trained him in Navy SEAL ambush skills.

How is it that the palace that is 5-0 HQ has no friggin' security at all? That place has been taken over by bad guys so many times. However, I see the team has conveniently developed an "escape from the CIA" hatch in that slow-ass elevator.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

I appreciated that we got a guest appearance from Eddie. I wonder why he didn't like Higgins. He's also kind of a terrible guard dog. Wouldn't most dogs be barking as soon as they heard someone at the door? I guess Steve has trained him in Navy SEAL ambush skills.

How is it that the palace that is 5-0 HQ has no friggin' security at all? That place has been taken over by bad guys so many times. However, I see the team has conveniently developed an "escape from the CIA" hatch in that slow-ass elevator.

Eddie is a wounded in action and retied DEA dog. In retirement 5-0 often uses the old veteran's skills.

What I was wondering is when did the Governor lose her God powers when they said she gave 5-0 up to the CIA. Other agencies have been trying for 10 years to force cooperation out of Hawaii and the 5-0 task force.

Yeah, the whole "Five-O has immunity for everything...unless the CIA asks for them to all be detained" definitely seemed like a lazy way to explain why only three members of Five-O guest-starred in this episode.

I like Magnum P.I., but it will never stop being funny seeing these civilians running around with machine guns like a commando unit. I know they're all former military (including Gordie), but it's still hilarious. "Hey, I'm Rick, I own a bar/restaurant. Oh, and I sometimes throw on kevlar and go on paramilitary raids with my buddies." 

• LOL 2
6 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

What a cheap-ass crossover.

Were Caan and O'Laughlin too busy?

O'Loughlin has always managed to avoid doing the crossover episodes. It's always been the lower ranking cast members who have to take the bullet for the team and do the crossover appearances on the other show. Caan even did one early on, but since then, he doesn't even seem to want to do his OWN show, let alone represent the show on ANOTHER show!

29 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

O'Loughlin has always managed to avoid doing the crossover episodes. It's always been the lower ranking cast members who have to take the bullet for the team and do the crossover appearances on the other show. Caan even did one early on, but since then, he doesn't even seem to want to do his OWN show, let alone represent the show on ANOTHER show!

To be fair on the original big crossover event, SEAL meet up with Sam Hanna on NCIS:LA crossover O'Loughlin was in rehab as a fall out from work injuries received by doing some of his own stunts.  He also missed the regular 5-0 surrounding the crossover schedule. Chi McBride would have been the next senior cast member, along with interior 5-0 rank. Besides Tani getting Kamekona to give up 5-0's flash drive Tani, Junior and Quinn could have been any client of the week.

But I wonder how the 5-0 only fan base will react to the Junior/Tani romance being moved forward on Magnum?

Edited by Raja
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Raja said:

But I wonder how the 5-0 only fan base will react to the Junior/Tani romance being moved forward on Magnum?

That was super weird. But I think that's precisely why they didn't have them actually kiss on the episode, as that would have been WAY overboard.

29 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

So nobody watched the latest episode?

You didn't miss anything. 

The bad guy was a bit obvious.  But it was nice to see a bit of shakeup with TC and Magnum.  Any additional screen time for TC & Rick is always welcome.

On a side note, the family is currently rewatching Rizzoli and Isles, so it was weird to see Matthew Del Negro again so soon (for me...not so much for him).

• Love 1

Not too bad an episode. Strange things: There was a car crash, but no airbags deployed, maybe because hit from the side? Magnum didn't whip out his gun, maybe wasn't carrying one in the office scenes, but he definitely should have had one in his car.

It would have been funny if Magnum made TC wear an arm sling after his crash to make Higgins feel guilty about lying about her shoulder, when she confesses there is nothing wrong, TC says the same.

I liked the episode fine.  Though this is the second episode they have had Higgins acting off and not fully participating in her job.  I don't really care for those diversion storylines.  I would have preferred it if she had just been up front from the beginning, versus waiting the whole episode to find out basically nothing exciting.

After having binged all the available episodes, I won't articulate much as most of its been covered already.

I will say though that if they were hoping to 'blindside' people with the developing "Miggy" as to when it comes official canon, they've failed spectacularly.  They've been about as subtle as a rampaging bull in a china shop with their hints and clues, especially this season.  I wouldn't be against the pairing, as long as the show doesn't become more about them and heavily detracts from the other storylines & sometimes intriguing/interesting CotWs.

Also, while I have very little recollection of the original series, this Magnum seems to consider it a failed case if he isn't left with at the very least a cut or bruise at the end of it.  Did Selleck's Magnum get as oft injured, captured, or in fights as often as this new remade version?

On 1/14/2020 at 7:31 AM, alexa said:

I liked the episode fine.  Though this is the second episode they have had Higgins acting off and not fully participating in her job.  I don't really care for those diversion storylines.  I would have preferred it if she had just been up front from the beginning, versus waiting the whole episode to find out basically nothing exciting.

I thought Higgins was involved plenty all season, aside from this last episode.  I was actually a little suprised at how involved she was in the 2 hour crossover with H5-0, although she seemed to be relegated mostly to the role of "matchmaker" in H5-0's half of the crossover.

The reason behind her sitting out the case in this last episode is another of those anvil-laden unmissable hints & clues to the future Magnum/Higgins pairing, imo.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
5 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

After having binged all the available episodes, I won't articulate much as most of its been covered already.

I will say though that if they were hoping to 'blindside' people with the developing "Miggy" as to when it comes official canon, they've failed spectacularly.  They've been about as subtle as a rampaging bull in a china shop with their hints and clues, especially this season.  I wouldn't be against the pairing, as long as the show doesn't become more about them and heavily detracts from the other storylines & sometimes intriguing/interesting CotWs.

Also, while I have very little recollection of the original series, this Magnum seems to consider it a failed case if he isn't left with at the very least a cut or bruise at the end of it.  Did Selleck's Magnum get as oft injured, captured, or in fights as often as this new remade version?

The opposite of blind siding is going on in my opinion. I  think they unexpectedly hit on something and decided to dump most of the Magnum legacy. Except for the big 4 and the Ferrari they have been killing off and sending away everything else you can point to and say that's from the original show.

22 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

After checking around, is tonight's episode the season finale?  Or is it going on an extended hiatus maybe??

Seems weird to wait a couple of weeks to air it, if that is the case (either one).

It's the WINTER Finale, it's going on an extended break while Macguyer airs

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Josh371982 said:

It's the WINTER Finale, it's going on an extended break while Macguyer airs

12 minutes ago, kassygreene said:

And it's back April 10, according to thefutoncritic.com.  In the meantime we have MacGyver.

Ahh, thanks for the replies and info.

For a 'finale', this was pretty plain Jane.   Lots of running and shooting and Jin, but not a whole lot more.

Instead of sticking around the place she escaped to, to question her, why didn't M & H just take Anna either to her brother in the hospital or back to the Nest?  Would have avoided that whole mess.

Apologies to his fans, but I hope Jin's guest spots are done after this season.  Save the OTT slapstick for 30-minute comedies.  Although, it was nice to finally get some backstory on him.  (if true, can never really know with him)

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Apologies to his fans, but I hope Jin's guest spots are done after this season.  Save the OTT slapstick for 30-minute comedies.  Although, it was nice to finally get some backstory on him.  (if true, can never really know with him)

↑ I hope he's gone forever.

Best part of the show was the karaoke version of "I Will Survive"

• Love 1

Personally, I think this show has lost its way. Magnum doesn’t act like Magnum, and I’m NOT just comparing him to Selleck. Is he tough? Funny? Ingenious? Or what? He certainly isn’t the tallest. He comes across as being ... ambivalent!?!

And as much as I liked Higgins in the first season, she’s now getting on my nerves. Talk about an ill-defined relationship. 

another thing, and this was underscored in the opening scene— they have too many actors. They all take up lines. Couple the opening with the ending (yeah, I liked it but ...) and you have all this wasted time. It’s all time taken away from making the story a better one.

Yeah, for a mid-season finale this episode was really underwhelming.  I agree with everyone else that Jin can leave right now, but apparently we have to have an annoying guest star every season.

I also agree with @SamBeckett that the show has lost its way.  When I first started watching the reboot I really appreciated all the themes that carried over from the original  and how they even redid some scenes but put their own spin on them.  But all of that seems to have been lost and now the only thing it shares with the original are the character names.

I'm really starting to wonder if there's someone in the writers room who doesn't like Jay/Magnum, because they seem to delight in making him look like an idiot.  Take the scene with the ladder last night.  It was just stupid that Magnum stood the ladder up straight and let it drop instead of trying to figure out a way to lower it to the other building.  Even if it had been long enough to reach, it probably would have bounced so hard when it hit that it would have fallen off anyway.  Then he had them use the elevator as a safe room without ever considering that bad guys who could set off alarms to clear the building might have the override code, and trying to bargain with them over a specific quarter was just bizarre.

Maybe it's a good thing that the show will be off the air for a while.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that, because right now I won't miss it at all.

• Love 2

The things that bother me, they were playing musical cars, why drive so many different cars this episode?

Why not tie up the hit man while he was out cold? Can you just leave someone in a car trunk on a hot Hawaii day?

When you know you are dealing with a hit man, why didn't anybody have a gun, every other episode they are shooting people left and right.

• Love 1

I liked the episode fine.  A few odd things here and there but overall I like this rendition of Magnum quite a bit.  I have to disagree that they have Magnum look stupid.  Most of the time he is the one thinking outside the box and has the good ideas.  

• Love 4

I thought PW did a decent job on the short rendition of Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler" at the end for Karaoke Night, so that was a positive.

Not sure I would argue that the show has lost its way, but what I have gotten tired of with this show, is their attempts to highlight the 'Miggy' WT/WT by having Higgins constantly challenging or throwing digs at Magnum's supposed lack of intelligence, both to him and right in front of their clients.  That's not 'sexual tension', writers, that's just being intentionally demeaning.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36

I've said this before, but I can't stand Higgins' clothes.  Normally don't really notice what people are wearing if the script is good, but hers are so bad they are distracting.  And they don't complement her at all.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, jabRI said:

I've said this before, but I can't stand Higgins' clothes.  Normally don't really notice what people are wearing if the script is good, but hers are so bad they are distracting.  And they don't complement her at all.

She has a world class swimmer's body type with relatively short legs and a long torso. When they pulled her from the majordomo role wearing long skirts and made her the partner wearing functional jeans it shows up. Especially since most of her contemporaries we are used to seeing on screen either have a runner's type body featuring longer legs and/or a larger behind relative to their bodies.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Raja said:

She has a world class swimmer's body type with relatively short legs and a long torso. When they pulled her from the majordomo role wearing long skirts and made her the partner wearing functional jeans it shows up

That's a good point,  she's certainly athletic and attractive.  Just wanted to point out they need a better stylist for her to work with her body type, it's not one size fits all.  My son was a swimmer, so I get what you mean for sure.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Raja said:

She has a world class swimmer's body type with relatively short legs and a long torso. When they pulled her from the majordomo role wearing long skirts and made her the partner wearing functional jeans it shows up. Especially since most of her contemporaries we are used to seeing on screen either have a runner's type body featuring longer legs and/or a larger behind relative to their bodies.

Exactly, she has no hips and the way she walks really bothers me.

48 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

Last episode I saw, she seemed to be wearing high waisted, pleated jeans. Or some similar abomination. Like she raided an 80s closet.

That has been her partner P.I. outfit along with the boots, with a heel of course. Where as the majordomo Juliet tended to wear long skirts which hid where her knee is in relation to her and platformed sandals thus making her legs appear longer.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

New episodes start arriving April 10 possibly due to the shut down of most of the current TV studio productions.

Seems like it might have been already lined up that way beforehand, seeing as how H5-0's series finale was last week and Magnum starts back up this week, paired with Macgyver.

• Love 2

Magnum was always going to start back up April 10 for the back half of the season. I’ve had that date on my list since they took their break. Whether or not they got all their episodes completed before things started shutting down, I don’t know.

I like Kumu, but this was a rather 'blah' return from a break.  Despite the drama, it was basically just one long discussion-filled car ride.

The very end just made a former SEAL look like a big kid playing with a new toy.  For a show that isn't a straight comedy, that's not maybe the best look.  Especially ending on such an upbeat note after the dramatic death of the "good guy" just a couple minutes before.  Maybe that's just me.  Kinda two totally different tonal moods in a real quick span.

The break starter was also very 'blah'.  Cmon Magnum, let's pick things up a little bit.

Hopefully next week has a little more substance to it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Especially ending on such an upbeat note after the dramatic death of the "good guy" just a couple minutes before.

"Good Guy", that was not my impression of him. Anyway, he should have went to the hospital as soon as Magnum agreed to take the case. Kumu must have driven all the way around the island first before reaching the hospital since she arrived at the exact same time Magnum did.

• Love 1

I have to say I liked the return hostage episode , especially Detective Katsumoto. Maybe they were lurking and heard about Juliet's Jean's but then the promo for next week said maybe not.

The product placement car when you have a Ferrari as the everyday ride, some marketer doesn't have much sense

Edited by Raja
  • Love 2

I kind of liked it.  Agreed the car rides were a bit dragged out, but what I liked was that although Katsu was mad he gave them a chance rather than backslide to the whole bad relationship again.  

• Love 2