Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

So, an Ivan is looming.   Interesting. 

Hope they don't try to duplicate one of the best moments of TV.  Ever.

Like everything else they would probably just flip the deed and let Higgins and TC do it. Or make Ivan a reoccurring nemesis , In any case I would expect more Domenick Lombardozzi  as Nuzo gets in flashbacks with Ivan.

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:31 PM, Raja said:

In the new version Masters was a reporter embedded in Magnum's special forces team and known by the SEALs and Marines from their time deployed.

If they can ever convince Selleck to guest star, I think he should be cast as Masters.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, Bulldog said:

If they can ever convince Selleck to guest star, I think he should be cast as Masters.

That would be a great way to cast it, but Selleck has said he'll never guest star on the show. Pretty much the most he'll say is that he doesn't want it to fail, but it's clear he's not a fan of the reboot.

He also won’t be involved in any way. “They asked and I said, ‘Absolutely not. I’m busy with Blue Bloods.’” But more than that, he concedes, “It will never be what in my fantasy world, I would make it to be.”

Don’t expect a fun guest spot either. “I told them that I won’t do some cameo guest spot to let the audience know I approve.” He’s aware that could disappoint some fans of his and the shows. “I’m sure they’d like it, but I have an obligation to my version. And Peter’s going to do his take on what a Magnum under some similar circumstances should be about.”

Twenty or so years ago when there was talk of a Magnum movie (with various people, including Selleck, George Clooney, and Matthew McConaughey pitched as Magnum), he had positive things to say about it, but I don't know if he was being genuine or if his feelings have changed over the years. Maybe he's more protective of the original show now that it seems he won't ever have another role that he's more closely identified with. He's been very successful since then, but to most people he'll always just be Magnum.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:20 AM, fishcakes said:

Twenty or so years ago when there was talk of a Magnum movie (with various people, including Selleck, George Clooney, and Matthew McConaughey pitched as Magnum), he had positive things to say about it, but I don't know if he was being genuine or if his feelings have changed over the years. Maybe he's more protective of the original show now that it seems he won't ever have another role that he's more closely identified with. He's been very successful since then, but to most people he'll always just be Magnum.

I believe Bellasario was involved in the film version, so I bet Selleck would be predisposed to him doing a remake. Lenkov? A bit less so, I guess.

• Love 1

Kumu seems to be taking the storytelling Higgins role along with the cultural facilitation. Juliet may have done the local Hawaiian society scene once in the first season.

On the Halloween episode while not a crossover they did put on a radio call of 5-0 needing back up on their 5 homicides that night while Detective Katsumoto had a all hands on deck situation with an escaped mass killer. And sort of like Downtown Brown of Simon and Simon pulled a fast deputizing of Magnum once young Puno was wounded

Edited by Raja

The Halloween episode is one of my favorites so far this season because of how they mixed up the interactions so we got to see characters who normally don't have a lot of screen time together partnering up.  TC and Kumu were definitely the MVPs of the episode as they went from funny to serious to rescuing the trapped boy.  Kumu's matter of fact attitude as she was handling the heavy equipment was a hoot and I hope we get to see more of that in the future.

• Love 3

I can't believe Katsumoto never taught his young partner one of the most important rules of police work: Never, ever show pictures of your cute kid or you're doomed. The only thing worse is to announce that you're only a few days before retirement. Thankfully it wasn't fatal this time. Hopefully a lesson was learned.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 7

Being Katsumoto's partner sorta felt like the kiss of death.

The haunted house part wasn't that scary,though they tried filming it to be off putting.  Don't know if it's because I was raised with cats, or if it was just obvious, but as soon as I heard the baby cry I knew exactly what it was.  Doll closet was the creepiest part, I think.

Also, still love me some Rick & TC.  Also, I adored their interpretations of Robin Hood. 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Twilight Man said:

But then how do you explain.................

Oh well, TV shows are not meant to be taken COMPLETELY serious

(especially these two)

Yes, a lot of suspension of disbelief is required for these two shows, starting with season one of 5-0 where they decided to name themselves that because [something something football jersey Steve's dad] and everyone just pretended not to know that 5-0 has been a slang term meaning "police" for decades.

Thank goodness they got rid of Abby sooner than later. She was way too good of a character to be just strung along like this until their inevitable breakup. At least her departure wasn't because of something douchey Magnum did. Although, it's odd to be all, "There's someone who knows you better that you should date instead" when she obviously means Higgins, so why not just SAY Higgins? Who speaks all mysterious like that? 

As to the rest of the episode, it was pretty clever until the part where they clearly painted themselves into a corner and had to have the failed novelist professor somehow fool everyone and kidnap Kumu in front of everyone. HPD sure looked incompetent there, huh?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Thank goodness they got rid of Abby sooner than later. She was way too good of a character to be just strung along like this until their inevitable breakup. At least her departure wasn't because of something douchey Magnum did. Although, it's odd to be all, "There's someone who knows you better that you should date instead" when she obviously means Higgins, so why not just SAY Higgins? Who speaks all mysterious like that? 

As to the rest of the episode, it was pretty clever until the part where they clearly painted themselves into a corner and had to have the failed novelist professor somehow fool everyone and kidnap Kumu in front of everyone. HPD sure looked incompetent there, huh?

And another legacy name from the original series bites the dust. Maybe they should short cut this romance trope and come back with Magnum to Magnum  in season 3.

HPD is HPD, no wonder the governors keep that crazy SEAL around after Wo Fat had lost his leverage. They really did have the SWAT sniper shoot the gun out of the suspect's hand .  On the cross franchise front I could have swore that HPD SWAT wore "SWAT" bulletproof vest on H5-0 but had "POLICE" on here.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, Twilight Man said:

From tonight's episode:

Oh good, at least someone remembered that "he" has a helicopter tourist business as well.

OK, so it's official.  THEY DO exist in the same universe.

But then how do you explain.................

Oh well, TV shows are not meant to be taken COMPLETELY serious

(especially these two)

Is it technically up to H5-0 to give the retcon explanation?

18 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen/heard that exact type of thing from the 'one-off' when breaking things off with the protagonist and then giving them the "nudge" to look at the female/male co-star as the end-game romantic/life partner.

Its terribly common and usually totally predictable. 

Don't be surprised if it happens again later on, either with Magnum (again) or they 'change it up' by doing it with Higgins & a PLI of her own.

5 hours ago, Rose Quartz said:

I thought they'd get rid of Abby by having Ivan kill her the way he killed Mac in the original.  I honestly don't know if that's a better or worse cliche than what they went with.

With Juliet providing all the intelligence community support they really don't have a Mac or Maggie US Naval Intelligence contact equivalent. However Buck Green was name dropped for the first time since his appearance in the pilot when the Ivan name drop came.

1 hour ago, Raja said:

With Juliet providing all the intelligence community support they really don't have a Mac or Maggie US Naval Intelligence contact equivalent. However Buck Green was name dropped for the first time since his appearance in the pilot when the Ivan name drop came.

We saw Mac (Lt. Josie MacReynolds) giving Magnum intel on Hannah when she first showed up last season.  But Mac was only in a couple of scenes, so killing her wouldn't have the same impact as Ivan killing Mac in the original (if they even decide to go that route).  That's why I thought they might have Ivan kill Abby instead.  She's one of the few recurring characters that we've seen repeatedly so her death would presumably have more  impact on viewers, as well as Magnum.

• Useful 1

I am liking the partnership with Magnum/Higgins and Katsumoto this year.  It makes it much more interesting than last season when they had the same storyline of Katsu getting frustrated with Magnum even though he was the one to solve the case.  I like the three of them working together.

I also like the extended endings that allows a personal storyline for each of the characters.  I like when the storyline wraps up a little early to allow for some character development.

Edited by alexa
  • Love 4

So, anyone know what the plan is for the rest of this season? MacGyver is returning in February to take Magnum's time slot, so....what? Is it a shortened season for Magnum? Will they somehow get 20 episodes in by February by, like, not skipping a week or something? Will Magnum be taking a break and then returning at some point this season? Anyone know what the deal is?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

So, anyone know what the plan is for the rest of this season? MacGyver is returning in February to take Magnum's time slot, so....what? Is it a shortened season for Magnum? Will they somehow get 20 episodes in by February by, like, not skipping a week or something? Will Magnum be taking a break and then returning at some point this season? Anyone know what the deal is?

I don’t know what the answer is but I am so glad MacGyver is coming back.  I wish they hadn’t sacrificed one for the other and had put both somewhere on the schedule.  My guess is that they will do a shorter season with fewer repeats than normal.  

21 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

Here is your answer (from a cbs update)--see below.  The only thing that makes no sense to me is that Magnum would have had close to a full season under its belt by February-- so for it to return after MacGyver finishes its season in the spring, makes no sense--since MacGyver is starting so late in February.  That is the shortest season ever for an existing show that was renewed and doing okay in the ratings.  Anyway, well good for Magnum, kind of a bummer for MacGyver (I like both shows).  

MACGYVER, a reimagining of the classic series starring Lucas Till in the title role, Tristin Mays, Justin Hires, Meredith Eaton, Levy Tran and Henry Ian Cusick, returns for its fourth season Friday, Feb. 7 (8:00-9:00 PM, ET/PT). The same night, HAWAII FIVE-0 moves to its new time period (9:00-10:00 PM, ET/PT). MAGNUM P.I. will return in the spring after MACGYVER concludes its season run.

• Love 1

LEE MAJORS!!!  I had such a crush on him back in the day (Big Valley, 6 Million Dollar Man, etc.).  I really like that they bring in some stars from years gone by.  Nostalgia factor plus it is refreshing to see characters who are older than 30 on shows...

Liked Magnum at the resort.  Sad by the story line for Corbin Bernsen (sp); hope to see him a few more times.  Enjoyed this episode.

• Love 3

Unless I missed something it was Detective Katsumoto, therefore the state of Hawaii. After Chin Ho Kelly on 5-0 I doubt if they recycle the cop needs to break the law to protect his family and then is forgiven through the Governor's immunity.

• Love 1

It looks like they are continuing the idea of Magnum and Higgins getting personal.  Last night she was pissed because he made a decision without consulting her.  She sulked and gave him the silent treatment while he tried to figure out what was wrong.

My question is:  Have they ever shown Higgins in a dating situation or relationship?  Magnum has every single woman pining for him, as well as multiple exes.  It is unrealistic that a woman who is as beautiful as Higgins doesn't date.  Higgins deserves some action, too.

Edited by nittanycougar
28 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

My question is:  Have they ever shown Higgins in a dating situation or relationship?  Magnum has every single woman pining for him, as well as multiple exes.  It is unrealistic that a woman who is as beautiful as Higgins doesn't date.  Higgins deserves some action, too.

The closest was the episode where Magnum climbs up a skyscraper to test the security and Higgins was at a party and was flirty with the owner of the building Magnum scaled. That pairing didn't go so well.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, nittanycougar said:

It looks like they are continuing the idea of Magnum and Higgins getting personal.  Last night she was pissed because he made a decision without consulting her.  She sulked and gave him the silent treatment while he tried to figure out what was wrong.

They have given Juliet a survivor's guilt PTSD backstory with her fellow agent fiancee killed in the line of duty 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 11/16/2019 at 9:56 AM, nittanycougar said:

Higgins being pissy with Magnum and not telling him grated on my nerves throughout the episode, so I really liked Magnum telling Higgins that she needed to apologize too.  I hate the "I'll be silent while you figure it out" thing, even though I can't guarantee I've never done it.  I also liked that Magnum didn't make Higgins guess, but was up front with his reasons for needing an apology. 

Finally I'd like more subplots of vets dealing with re-entry and talking things out.  Even though TC is correct.  Getting the girl by pretending to be someone else is so very, very, very wrong.  Continuing the pretense so you can have a family is incredibly gross.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, kirkola said:

Higgins being pissy with Magnum and not telling him grated on my nerves throughout the episode, so I really liked Magnum telling Higgins that she needed to apologize too.  I hate the "I'll be silent while you figure it out" thing, even though I can't guarantee I've never done it.  I also liked that Magnum didn't make Higgins guess, but was up front with his reasons for needing an apology. 

Finally I'd like more subplots of vets dealing with re-entry and talking things out.  Even though TC is correct.  Getting the girl by pretending to be someone else is so very, very, very wrong.  Continuing the pretense so you can have a family is incredibly gross.

This was not my favorite episode.  I think having Higgins do that was just annoying and distracted from the episode which was weaker than some of the others anyway.  

On 11/12/2019 at 3:13 PM, seacliffsal said:

Sad by the story line for Corbin Bernsen (sp); hope to see him a few more times.

I was shocked about that outcome.  Why bring him on for just what, 2, maybe 3 episodes?  Was Icepick written out so quickly in the original series?

I did like the doctor helping Rick and not wanting to lie to him because he's her friend.  I felt more of a friendship between them then Rick and Magnum.

On 11/16/2019 at 9:56 AM, nittanycougar said:

It looks like they are continuing the idea of Magnum and Higgins getting personal. 

Really?  I hadn't noticed.  I've been too busy dodging the anvils they're throwing at us.  OMG.  They're not even being coy with the will they/won't they.  I'm feeling insulted they think we're too dumb to miss the subtext so they're being blatant about it.

On 11/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, chitowngirl said:

I wish Rick and TC were on the same show as Magnum and Higgins!

I wish Rick and TC had their own show.

12 hours ago, kirkola said:

Finally I'd like more subplots of vets dealing with re-entry and talking things out. 

Yes to this.  I think this is where they're going to use Rick and TC as they don't seem to have any involvement in Magnum's story line anymore (other than being muscle).  It was nice to see Shammy be a part of a story line and that he's getting it all back together.

Speaking of muscle, is it just me or does Katsumoto kick ass better than Magnum?

And to be superficial, I'm not liking Rick dressing so casually now that he owns the bar.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, fifiwesfan said:

I was shocked about that outcome.  Why bring him on for just what, 2, maybe 3 episodes?  Was Icepick written out so quickly in the original series?

Many, if not most reoccurring roles from the legacy show have been dropped. I remember the first teaser identified Detective Katsumoto but due to public outcry he was changed to Lieutenant Tanaka in the showing of the pilot. But with the post pilot recasting the name went back to Katsumoto like they wanted in the first place.

On 11/23/2019 at 12:46 AM, Raja said:

Detective Katsumoto must think he has 5-0's immunity. Committing battery on a doctor to force him to violate HIPAA laws should not be a hero's arc.

I was thinking that Katsumoto might get suspended for a while and join Magnum and Higgins. If the add the two Doberman Pinschers, include Kumu, and trade the Ferrari for a van, they might have something original.

• LOL 2

and now Peter M. Lenkov, the "showrunner" for both shows is saying

(jokingly, because the crossover will be happening in January)

that the reason that both shows have not yet had a crossover is because of the helicopter scene that I mentioned earlier.

"We are going to pretend that didn't happen."

Come on, guys, like I said earlier, these are just two "goofy" TV shows.  I'm sure the fans of both shows will overlook a two minute scene to get a crossover that they have been waiting a long while to see.

• Love 1

It's been a long time since I was excited by an episode of Magnum, but this one had everything I expected when the reboot was announced - friendship between the guys, and humor, and lots of flashbacks.  It made a great change from the Hart to Hart remake I've been watching lately.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Msample said:

Paulie couldn’t get off my screen fast enough, easily the most annoying character this show has had.

Outside of Paulie being a huge pain in the ass, this was a very good episode.

3 hours ago, Twilight Man said:

Willie Garson portraying an illegal art exporter (among other things).........

so now Magnum is crossing over with ----

oh, wait, never mind, he has a different name

(but then again, using a fake name is something that Moz would definitely do.)

Gerald Hirsch has made a half dozen or so appearance on Hawaii 5-0. 

All of the sudden Captain Buck Greene returns. Just in time for the promo for the last 2019 fall episode. Back on 48 Hours James Remar seemed to be among the baddest on the planet, of all the legacy characters re-imagined he seems the most lacking compared to Lance LeGault's Colonel Buck Greene to me.

On 12/6/2019 at 10:33 PM, Msample said:

Paulie couldn’t get off my screen fast enough, easily the most annoying character this show has had.

Not only was the character annoying, but the actor portraying his was the WORST.  Paulie may have been slightly better with a better actor.  But, I hated everything about that story line.  No WAY would Paulie been everywhere he was as a civilian. 

• Love 1