Type keyword(s) to search

Magnum P.I. (2018) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

It seemed really stupid for the the guy not to take immediate action to increase the security of his apartment. Three days later and his people were still reviewing the security flaws. It seemed like all of the problems could have been fixed quite easily.

At least he won TWO fights all by himself.  Granted, they were both against people who were no where near Seal-level expertise but still...........progress.

Was quite surprised when Mags pulled off his mask to reveal it was him breaking-in, didn't think he had that in him based on the previous episodes.  Again, progress.  But then they took that away when they diminished his accomplishment by having Higgins guess how he did it and saying she would've done it that way.  He, the hero of the show, had his moment and the writers brought him down below supporting character level.  I understand this is a new iteration of a beloved show which had a star who's 'It Factor' was off the charts so I need to not compare them.  With that said, I'm confused by the writers; let him have some of his own successes.

I figured the paintings were forgeries and the art lady was involved when they had her examine them.   He's a PI and doesn't know how to super glue a fingerprint?  A fingerprint that should've been smudged from Mags picking it up, putting it in his pocket, and playing with it, then giving it to Higgins who played with it.

Rick and TC are my favorites and I thank the writers I just bashed for giving them really, nothing necessary to do just to actually be in the episode AND for easing up on the Mags/Higgins bickering.  I know it will be back, though.  The bickering between McGarrett and Danny was the single reason why I bailed on H50 in the 2nd season. 

1 hour ago, fifiwesfan said:

I thank the writers I just bashed for giving them really, nothing necessary to do just to actually be in the episode AND for easing up on the Mags/Higgins bickering.  I know it will be back, though.

We all know they'll be playing tonsil hockey before the end of the season.

• Love 1

Magnum brags at the party about how he broke into the art gallery, then spends the rest of the episode wondering how anyone knew how he broke into the gallery. Yep the guy is a certified genius.

• Love 1
On 10/15/2018 at 9:13 PM, Netfoot said:

A grown man who can't tie a tie.  Well, hopefully he can tie his shoelaces....

Presumably a Naval Academy graduate at that. How he got through plebe year and the official hazing would be beyond me. Maybe he forgot how after 18 months Rick said that they were in the POW camp.

20 hours ago, fifiwesfan said:

At least he won TWO fights all by himself.  Granted, they were both against people who were no where near Seal-level expertise but still...........progress.

The choreography of the first knife attack made her look like a trained fighter.

Edited by Raja
9 hours ago, Raja said:

Presumably a Naval Academy graduate at that. How he got through plebe year and the official hazing would be beyond me. Maybe he forgot how after 18 months Rick said that they were in the POW camp.

The choreography of the first knife attack made her look like a trained fighter.

+11 days  ;)

Yes, about the choreography.  I thought she was ultimately going to turn out to be some master spy during that fight, as well.  When she didn't I felt bad for him again.

• Love 1
On 10/9/2018 at 11:43 AM, HurricaneVal said:

I loved Cho!notCho...  I can see him as the deadpan, dryly humorous, and sneakily cheeky thorn in the side.

I figured it out last night why that guy got cast as Magnum.  I mean, he's harmless, quite handsome, and apparently Hispanic, which is an unrepresented demographic on TV.  So nothing against Jay Hernandez, he just doesn't seem to have the je ne sais quoi charisma that Tom Selleck brought to the screen as Magnum.  But last night, I was off in the other room finishing up putting dinner away so I couldn't see the TV, but I could hear it.  Jay Hernandez sounded just like a young Tom Selleck.  He's got that same lilting wry crack in his voice, and his voiceovers capture Tom Selleck-as-Magnum's cadence and tone nearly perfectly.  For a moment there, I wondered if maybe Tom had made a special unannounced cameo, but no.  Just the new guy.

This x 10,000.

He really does almost sound like Tom and while I heard it in the 2nd episode, I thought it was just me wanting to like the show and hoping it gets better.

Thanks for articulating exactly what Jay has managed to nail perfectly! He’s also pretty easy on the eyes, so I’m not mad at him for being on my TV.

I do have trouble buying that he used to be a SEAL though. Until I see him shirtless and kicking ass like Alex O’Loughlin, he looks way too lean to have even graduated from BUD/S (even if we allow for POW related weight loss and/or muscle atrophy). 

Edited by Bridget
4 hours ago, Bridget said:

I do have trouble buying that he used to be a SEAL though.

The male hero of all TV shows now is ex-military, having served in Afghanistan or (much rarer) Eyewrack.  And they are never an ordinary squaddie, oh no!  They are an ex-SEAL, or (if British) formerly of "The Regiment".  

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Netfoot said:

The male hero of all TV shows now is ex-military, having served in Afghanistan or (much rarer) Eyewrack.  And they are never an ordinary squaddie, oh no!  They are an ex-SEAL, or (if British) formerly of "The Regiment".  

And the new Magnum doesn't look any less buff than any of them. The original Magnum either, he was just tall. At first Afghanistan was the good war. Michael Pena playing "Army" on The Shield is about the only Iraq veteran character that I can think of before the new Magnum mentioned service in both theatres of the war. But of course with Afghanistan instead of Iraq you have a longer scale to slide your character a couple of years older or 5 or so years younger. I was suprised that Jack Dalton on MacGyver was with "The Unit" and not DevGroup.

In any case the few Special Forces veterans that I ran across when they were ROTC  advisers looked more like marathon runners than Arnold Rambo

5 hours ago, roamyn said:

Why?  I hear the ratings are disappointing

A shared fictional universe is a ratings force multiplier.  5-0  stayed on the bubble eventually finding a home on Friday. Magnum must be in the future Friday night slot.

Overall, an okay episode. That said, I still feel like I’m watching Hawaii Five 0. Everyone is perfectly fine and good looking. I like nuMagnum, Rick & TC. I don’t like Higgins. It’s beautifully shot but it’s sorta of an unnatural reboot and show. I guess it will be renewed for another season but I could also see it cancelled thereafter. It’s just not a strong show in general. 

• Love 3

I am generally enjoying the show but think they made a HUGE mistake making Higgins young enough to be a potential love interest for Magnum.  An older female who would have had a full career in MI6 or some other organization would be amazing.  That would be someone I would believe had multiple contacts and a huge knowledge base from which to help.

• Love 3
On 10/16/2018 at 12:13 AM, Netfoot said:

I new Insurance Woman in the red dress was guilty before the crime was committed!

A grown man who can't tie a tie.  Well, hopefully he can tie his shoelaces....

I think the "tie situation" is the same as the "typing situation".  He's subtly messing with Higgins to get her to do stuff.  He's being a secret asshole.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, paigow said:

$50 gets you a keycard...seems like a good investment for a thief....

I wonder how much they paid to have free access to the police station?  I understand having the Detective being friendly with them but that whole interview room portion at the end was way too much.

I have to admit, I'm kinda liking the downplayed (literally) fight scenes and lack of car chases compared to other shows (cough H50 cough).  I don't feel like I'm going to get whiplash.

I did feel slightly queasy at the tender looks between Mags and Higgins, though.  I know they're going to force a coupling, cause a man and woman simply can't be just friends don't ya know, but I'm not feeling the chemistry.

We learned TC's dad was a felon and he lives in an airstream, and that Rick's parents are divorced and he likes to snack a lot.  I didn't watch the original enough to know their intimate details so out of curiosity, is that info true to the original characters?

15 minutes ago, fifiwesfan said:

We learned TC's dad was a felon and he lives in an airstream, and that Rick's parents are divorced and he likes to snack a lot.  I didn't watch the original enough to know their intimate details so out of curiosity, is that info true to the original characters?

I can't recall any mention of Rick and TC's extended family. We knew about Magnum's father going down in Korea and sometime Higgins past came up.

While I saw the entire original run back in the day and with syndication in the 90s the show wasn't must see for me and I am not with the  but he isn't  ball player tall Tom Selleck  clone. My biggest fear going in was young Higgins, but I think Juliet works and they should go with the tease relationship. So what if it was not in the original, they lucked into something that works for this show.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Raja said:

I can't recall any mention of Rick and TC's extended family. We knew about Magnum's father going down in Korea and sometime Higgins past came up.

While I saw the entire original run back in the day and with syndication in the 90s the show wasn't must see for me and I am not with the  but he isn't  ball player tall Tom Selleck  clone. My biggest fear going in was young Higgins, but I think Juliet works and they should go with the tease relationship. So what if it was not in the original, they lucked into something that works for this show.

In the original Rick had a sister (Distant Relative) and I believe they lost their parents at a young age and Icepick took them under his wing.  They also showed at least one of TC's brothers in a later episode.  I don't remember where TC lived in the original but I was surprised to see the Airstream in this episode.  My head cannon is that he's pouring all his money into Island Hoppers so that's why he lives so inexpensively.

I have to admit that I'm enjoying the reboot much more than I expected to since I was a huge fan of the original back in the day.  I think this version does a good job of recreating the easy camaraderie between Magnum, Rick, and TC and while I'm not a huge fan of the will they/won't they tension I'm already picking up between Magnum and Higgins, overall I think her character brings a refreshing twist to the show. 

• Love 1

In the original Rick's parents died when he was young (maybe 13 or so) and that's when Icepick too him in.  He had a younger sister who comes to see him in Hawaii and is murdered.

TC had like 8 brothers/sisters and I believe his parents were still alive and I thought together.  Only remember the one episode where TC is in a coma and someone impersonates one of his brothers as a way to get to TC.

I liked how Magnum was able to pull out that bit of art history and impress Higgins with it.  I think she actually bought it.  T.C. would have been proud.

Speaking of T.C., kinda cool that he was an art history minor, but annoying how the other guys had to razz him about it.  I guess it's because they met and bonded as P.O.W.s, figured they knew about everything there was to know about each other, and then this?  Or because Art History is not a "manly" subject, and these guys are all hardened combat veterans?  A bit of both?

Higgins and Candler were not lovers, according to Higgins, but Higgins loved him.  The way she regarded that picture of them at the end said more than words.

The "new" Magnum/Higgins relationship is shaping up rather well, I think.  Of course they get on each other's nerves, of course they have completely different styles, but of course we will have little scenes here and there where they manage to help each other, even impress each other.  To be honest, as great as John Hillerman's Higgins was, as far as I can tell, he was mostly just there to be the annoying whiny British guy.  "Jules" Higgins is becoming a true ally, one of Magnum's team.  Rick and T.C., you guys are great, but let's face it; you're Magnum's sidekicks.  That is your role.  Sorry that you have your own lives, but yes, you will be expected to drop everything and help Magnum when he asks.  Thanks for understanding.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, abbyzenn said:

Only remember the one episode where TC is in a coma and someone impersonates one of his brothers as a way to get to TC.

Magnum killed the dude in a Thunderball SCUBA fight....

Anyone else watch Hawaii Five-O and waiting for the shoe to drop with Elizabeth Rohm's character being of Dr. Madison Grey?  Why use an actress who played such a large role on another show that is clearly in the same universe?  That took me so far out of the show I was waiting for the twist! 

For Chrissake, you have Elizabeth Rohm drop into the coroner’s office, say a couple of lines then disappear until almost the end of the episode. You might as well have had a huge neon sign flashing over her head saying “Here is the killer” the whole time.

• Love 3
On 10/24/2018 at 1:49 PM, Whimsy said:

Anyone else watch Hawaii Five-O and waiting for the shoe to drop with Elizabeth Rohm's character being of Dr. Madison Grey?  Why use an actress who played such a large role on another show that is clearly in the same universe?  That took me so far out of the show I was waiting for the twist! 

Yep!  I thought the exact same thing.  I kept waiting for a reveal as well.   She did finally die on 5-0, though, right?  Well as far as we know anyway.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, geauxaway said:

Yep!  I thought the exact same thing.  I kept waiting for a reveal as well.   She did finally die on 5-0, though, right?  Well as far as we know anyway.

I honestly don’t remember lol. I only watch both of these shows for Hawaii. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I honestly don’t remember lol. I only watch both of these shows for Hawaii. 

Well since this is a Magnum board it was yet another  TV echo of perhaps the most famous original Magnum scene. Elizabeth Rohm's character being of Dr. Madison Grey followed the path of  Did You See The Sunrise

Spoiler

instead of Ivan, in that she was murdered by a good guy, only a guest star and not  a regular cast member and the star.

On 9/26/2018 at 9:07 AM, Raja said:

With the backstory that Robin Masters was an embedded reporter with Magnum's unit, along with TC and Rick's squadron  and they are feeding him war stories that leaves little chance to tease the is Higgins actually Robin Masters adapting stories from when she was in the Queen's service

I had this thought also, there's no "who is robin masters" mystery.

I was home sick with nothing on the DVR so I watched some eps on demand. It wasn't... horrible. They are giving Higgins much more of an active role, and again as far as having more women in the cast, the role reversal is great... but they are definitely laying on the "will they won't they" tension and it will be so boring once they do. TC would have been great as a black woman.

Really like the Rick character. TC seems to have not as much to do.

• Love 2

I liked this one for a few reasons.  As soon as I saw the butler I figured he was involved but thought it was he who was sending the e-mails so the hunter twist was nice.  Was happy to see Ben Vereen and thought he did a great job as a guest star and they used him well, unlike how they wasted Carl Weathers; I'm hoping Carl shows up at a later date when Mags needs a favor.  I also like how this show is feeling a bit classic to me with the way they pepper in these guest stars - we just need the voice over..."Tonight's Special Guest Star....".  I liked that they gave us some scenes where Mags showed some personality (like with the kids), I felt he was the only one we weren't getting a read on.  And, no car chases or epilepsy-inducing fight scenes, yay!

As soon as TC and Rick invited that guy to go to the beach with them I thought, seriously?!  That suicide attempt was broadcasting from the space ship Mags jumped from in Ep. 1.  Not sure how I feel about that whole sub-plot.  I understand the intent but that subject matter isn't something to be happily wrapped up with a bow at the end of an hour.  I hope its a way to introduce us into how they're all coping after what they went through and I hope its something this show takes seriously (or as seriously as a CBS cop show can).

26 minutes ago, fifiwesfan said:

As soon as TC and Rick invited that guy to go to the beach with them I thought, seriously?!  That suicide attempt was broadcasting from the space ship Mags jumped from in Ep. 1.  Not sure how I feel about that whole sub-plot.  I understand the intent but that subject matter isn't something to be happily wrapped up with a bow at the end of an hour.  I hope its a way to introduce us into how they're all coping after what they went through and I hope its something this show takes seriously (or as seriously as a CBS cop show can).

It seemed like make work for the duo. A remember  the vets moment only as they were not needed on the case.  Was this the confirmation that Robin Master's is their bank and patron as well as Magnum's? You would think that he was in the "POW Camp" with them.

While on the sister show Hawaii 5-0 McGarrett has shown no blow back from his Navy service that I can remember but some other one off characters and the new SEAL, Junior have had their moments. And it is starting to look like Dr. Cunha will make more appearances here than on H50 with its weekly murders.

I thought that by default the British said 4 August, not August 4th.

Edited by Raja

I don't have anything against Jay Hernandez as Magnum, he's fine to look at, and holy cow does his voice and cadence match Tom Selleck to a T, but I realized last night that Magnum is actually the least compelling character on this show.  Since the first episode, Higgins has caught my attention, but this last episode really brought home the realization that Rick and TC are really interesting characters I'd like to have featured more prominently.  I realize the name of the show is <i>Magnum</i> PI, but if Lenkov decided to make it more of an ensemble show with equal screentime for each player, that would be A-OK for me.  He kind of went that way with MacGuyver, where the peripheral characters now have significant B-plots of their own which sometimes equal or surpass the A-plots.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Raja said:

It seemed like make work for the duo. A remember  the vets moment only as they were not needed on the case.  Was this the confirmation that Robin Master's is their bank and patron as well as Magnum's? You would think that he was in the "POW Camp" with them.

I was wondering what Rick's involvement with the club actually was as sometimes it seemed like he owned it and couldn't figure out how he would be so ahead of TC and Magnum (even with his connections).  Agree on the Robin Master's comment and think he should be giving them cuts of the profits for the books, not just 'helping hands' since he seems to owe them so much.

For my work, I deal with people in Europe and its always 4 August - but that's in e-mails so I can't attest to what they would verbally say.

3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

I don't have anything against Jay Hernandez as Magnum, he's fine to look at, and holy cow does his voice and cadence match Tom Selleck to a T, but I realized last night that Magnum is actually the least compelling character on this show.  Since the first episode, Higgins has caught my attention, but this last episode really brought home the realization that Rick and TC are really interesting characters I'd like to have featured more prominently.  I realize the name of the show is <i>Magnum</i> PI, but if Lenkov decided to make it more of an ensemble show with equal screentime for each player, that would be A-OK for me.  He kind of went that way with MacGuyver, where the peripheral characters now have significant B-plots of their own which sometimes equal or surpass the A-plots.

Yes.  This is why I was happy we saw some personality from the character.  I'm more interested in all the others, including Higgins which surprises me because I was so anti gender switch but I'm enjoying her character.  I think they've gone too much too soon devil-may-care-slacker with Magnum.  Higgins relationship with her Mom and the TC and Rick encounter were much more intriguing (Rick didn't go to Hawaii right away and I hope we get something about what those couple of weeks in Chicago were like for him).  Raja, you're 'make work' statement was a perfect description because even though the 3 of them are so close, I easily got the feeling TC and Rick didn't even bother to tell Magnum about the circumstances of their new friend.  (Oh, and we also saw a new tattoo on Rick - anchor on leg)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, fifiwesfan said:

There are three ways to specify a date:

1. Day-Month-Year
  2. Year-Month-Day
  3. Stupid

The British commonly go with Day-Month-Year, but they can dumb-down if required.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, fifiwesfan said:

Yes.  This is why I was happy we saw some personality from the character.  I'm more interested in all the others, including Higgins which surprises me because I was so anti gender switch but I'm enjoying her character.  I think they've gone too much too soon devil-may-care-slacker with Magnum.  Higgins relationship with her Mom and the TC and Rick encounter were much more intriguing (Rick didn't go to Hawaii right away and I hope we get something about what those couple of weeks in Chicago were like for him).  Raja, you're 'make work' statement was a perfect description because even though the 3 of them are so close, I easily got the feeling TC and Rick didn't even bother to tell Magnum about the circumstances of their new friend.  (Oh, and we also saw a new tattoo on Rick - anchor on leg)

Add me to the list of those who would like to see more development of the supporting characters.  I definitely want to see more of Rick and TC (no surprise since they were my favorites in the original too) and I agree that I'd really like to find out more of the backstory of why Rick went to Chicago first.  I want to like the Higgins character, but I'm getting a little annoyed at how they seem to be pushing her and Magnum together so rapidly.  And while I like Jay's take on Magnum, I don't think the writers have a good grasp of the character yet and tend to write him as being a little too goofy and incompetent.  The only time I really felt he came across as a tough ex-SEAL was in last week's episode when he held his own against the larger fighter from the boxing club, at least for a while.  As flawed as the first couple of episodes were, I really enjoyed the parts where all three (or four) of them worked together as a team and I really hope we see more of that moving ahead.

Been watching Season 1 of the original series and wow that original theme sucked huge ones!  Also it is interesting seeing some little things like the adding of the code to the Ferrari from the original series.  Of course it was the phone number in the pilot vs the birthday in the new show.  As good as Jonathan Hillerman was, I really like Perdita Weeks version of Higgins and she is the best thing about the reboot in my opinion.  Old Higgins was a little too one note at least so far in Season 1.

• Love 1

I found last nights show really bad...the acting, the plot ( investigating a missing cat ), the implausible rescue at sea.. From what I have seen so far, I like the combo Rick and his pal, more than the lead...and Higgins, a drag.

• Love 1

The actual mystery of the episode was rushed so they could spend 20 minutes on that stupid missing cat.  I really like this show, but I had some problems with last night's episode.

1. I understand a child wanting to hire a PI to find her beloved pet, but its her Mom's job as a parent to explain that you don't hire a professional for such a small job.

2. The little girl wasn't that little.  I mean, she wasn't 3 or 4 year old.  And yet, she somehow thought it was appropriate to pay a grown man 25 cents a day to do a job.  Come on, even a kid from the 1950s would know better than that.  Completely unbelievable.

3. The way Mom was acting during Magnum's first visit, I assumed she was going to pay him his actual fee at the end of the assignment, or maybe sleep with him in lieu of said payment.  (I'm pretty sure Magnum was thinking the same thing.)  Then, at the end, not only does she not pay him, she won't even go get coffee with him!  What was that all about?  I'll bet that once she closed the door, she turned to her daughter and said, "See honey, THAT's how you get a man to do whatever you want!" while high-fiving her.

4. I'm glad they added Agent Cho from The Mentalist to the show, but his idea of looking for the rogue FBI agent/murderer alone was stupid.  At least bring some uniforms as back-up; he didn't have to tell them who he was after, just that there was an armed and dangerous killer on the loose; details to follow.

I'm starting to like Higgins a little better now; she's not the focus of every episode anymore.

• Love 2

I didn't like the daughter or the mother that much, but I did enjoy the night surveillance that Magnum did-I think bringing some humor is essential to Magnum.

Higgins is too much a part of Magnum's work in my view.  She is in on every case and I almost feel like it should be "Magnum and Higgins, P.I."  

Not enough Rick and T.C. in this episode.  And, I want to know what happened to the OTHER cat since the FBI owner was killed.  I kind of thought that the end scene would be Magnum bringing the little girl the other cat and telling her how much he needed love and a home.

• Love 1

As someone with a relatively minor cat allergy (itchy, puffy eyes; no sneezing), I know better than to pick up a cat!  My roommates have one, and he's adorable and sweet, but precautions are necessary.  It's probably a small nitpick, but if Magnum had been actually allergic (instead of plot allergic), he would have avoided picking up the cat and not just randomly holding him in various scenes.  I blame the writers and director on that one. 

Also, those were adorable kitties. 

3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I didn't like the daughter or the mother that much, but I did enjoy the night surveillance that Magnum did-I think bringing some humor is essential to Magnum.

Higgins is too much a part of Magnum's work in my view.  She is in on every case and I almost feel like it should be "Magnum and Higgins, P.I."  

Not enough Rick and T.C. in this episode.  And, I want to know what happened to the OTHER cat since the FBI owner was killed.  I kind of thought that the end scene would be Magnum bringing the little girl the other cat and telling her how much he needed love and a home.

I was really confused at the end of the episode as well because I was like "What happened to Max the Cat?!?!"  He just disappeared partway through the episode after running to his kibble.  It bothered me so much that I went back to confirm there wasn't a throwaway line that the FBI agent's family had picked him up or rehomed him.  

• Love 2
5 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Yep, I pretty much agree with all of this.  I didn't really care about the mother and her interactions with Magnum since the writers are making it very clear that they're going to go with Magnum/Higgins and probably sooner rather than later.  For that same reason I really don't care about Magnum's betrayal by his previous love since it'll probably just be used as a plot device to keep Magnum and Higgins apart at some future point.

Once again, Rick and TC were the best part of this episode.  Their joking while hunting for the cat felt really natural and searching for Magnum at the end could have come straight from one of several original series episodes.  But five minutes of screen time just wasn't enough IMO.  Of course, I clearly won't be happy unless TPTB turn the show into "Rick & TC, pi's", LOL, and that's not gonna happen!

And yes, as a cat owner myself I would have liked to see Max end up in a new home, especially since he reminded me of my orange guy.

20 hours ago, laredhead said:

Who was the actress who played the mother?  She looked so familiar, but I can't place her.

Navi Rawat played Amita on  Numb3rs - that’s where I know her from ?

• Love 4