Type keyword(s) to search

TDS 3.0: Season Four Talk

• Start Topic

33 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

They were better off playing a rerun last night. None of the correspondents showed they could carry a show in Trevor's absence.

It was slightly amusing and I enjoyed Trevor's expressions and miming, but if he has to stay quiet for a week or more, I'm going to tire of it.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

They were better off playing a rerun last night. None of the correspondents showed they could carry a show in Trevor's absence.

They weren't trying to. I would argue that if any of them carried the show it would have detracted from the whole premise of them acting as interpreters reading the lines written for Trevor in his voice even though they were such different personalities. It worked better at some points then others, but I liked it - I thought it fit in with the show's history of dealing with unexpected problems in unique ways (i.e. Colbert as Al Sharpton.)

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

But he was right there. Seriously, though, I liked the idea of the others channeling Trevor while he was right there. Points to Roy and Trevor for the double dab.

Trevor seemed okay on Monday night. Could he have lost his voice that quickly? Vocal exhaustion from his trip?

• Love 4

Trevor seemed okay on Monday night. Could he have lost his voice that quickly? Vocal exhaustion from his trip?

I've had laryngitis twice, and both times went to bed feeling fine, and woke up completely unable to make any sound come out of my mouth.  Absolutely no warning either time, and although I felt generally crappy the second time, the first time I felt perfectly fine except for my inability to talk.  So, I could totally relate to  him sitting cheerfully in his chair enjoying the show in complete silence.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

My guess is that Monday night's stuff was pre-taped last week. If he was in South Africa on Saturday, being back at work first thing Monday would have been a stretch. They announced the plan to do this particular episode last week, IIRC, so it would have been easy to tack it on at the end of Thursdays' episode.

• Love 3

Roy sounded a lot like he could lose his voice any time soon. Whoever next? ;-)

When watching Bill Gates these days it always astonishes me how much he aged in the last 10 years. Too much drinking poop water? :-)

• Love 2

I liked the addition of Siri to the proceedings. They gave her the best jokes.

Trevor has the perfect round face for sitting silent and smiling. All he needs is to be bright yellow.

Did Ronny's socks have a cartoon image of himself knitted into them? Either way, it made me laugh. Good for Bill Gates ("Computer Man") for taking the time to participate in order to get his message out.

Edited by 2727
  • Love 2

Bill Gates is actually a pretty chill guy. When I was an intern at Microsoft, he had parties where the college kids could ask him questions and he'd be downright honest. I'll never forget when I totally called his favorite book in high school,  Catcher in the Rye. Kind of makes sense, doesn't it? 

That being said, I thought it was hilarious last night when michael started making fun of Roy for losing his voice. That and "that had to be the whitest thing I ever heard. " "no this is..." "thank you, siri."

Edited by rwlevin
Oops, don't know why I thought his name was Ryan
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Could he have lost his voice that quickly? Vocal exhaustion from his trip?

He probably can talk a little, but they said the doctor told him to take time off. So I figure after pulling the show on the weekend and then doing nightly talk shows would be too much of a strain. 

1 hour ago, rwlevin said:

That being said, I thought it was hilarious last night when Ryan started making fun of Roy for losing his voice.

"This is how we talk now." It seemed adlibbed to me. 

Ronny's piece was good and really informative. 

I don't know if doing this the second night in a row is straining the joke a little. They did try to make it different with Siri. 

Wow though I wonder what Flynn gave Meuller. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Ronny's piece was good and really informative. 

Here's where my HGTV-watching head was at: "Wow, what a boon for all those tiny homes, Alaska outhouse cabins, and off-grid dwellings!"

But there are already non-electric, waterless composting toilets and the like.

On 12/6/2018 at 5:32 AM, 2727 said:

Did Ronny's socks have a cartoon image of himself knitted into them? Either way, it made me laugh. 

I was wondering what or who was on his socks. I liked his segment, as I usually do. It helped that Gates fit in so well. It's wonderful when a wealthy person gives back. Oh, I liked the graphic identifying him as Bill Gates, Computer Man.

• Love 1

So I'm the only one loving this inventive way of involving Trevor in the show? I think it's a beautiful way of making lemonade from lemons, and I love how we're seeing more of the correspondents without losing Trevor's adorable expressions.

• Love 7

I appreciated that TPTB on the Daily Show seemed to make a real effort to give all the correspondents a slot at the desk while Trevor is voiceless.  In the rare cases that Jon couldn't host TDS, one correspondent got the gig.  And of course, when Jon took a more extended hiatus while he was working on Rosewater, John Oliver got the desk for the duration, and as they say, the rest is history.  But it's nice to see an egalitarian approach to filling in for the boss.  

• Love 2

I suspect the effect of giving Oliver an entire week solo made Trevor highly motivated not to give anyone else a similar launch pad.

But I enjoyed the way they handled it.

They make synthetic voices of all kinds nowadays. If Trevor continues to have laryngitis, I hope they sub in other options instead of Siri. Trevor does voices himself, but it would still be funny to me if they gave him a totally unexpected voice. Lots of joke potential.

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Me, too. I thought it was a clever and funny way to work around the problem and it's way better than a week of repeats, but it was also awkward in spots. The interview segment suffered the most, I think.

Who does everything think did the best? I'm least fond of Kosta in general, but he came off as most comfortable behind the desk. He did it like he was playing the role of an anchor, which worked for me.

• Love 3

While I'm eager to get back to the usual show, I thought this was an inspired way to deal with the problem.  Trevor was so cute, just sitting there grinning, silently laughing at the correspondents' jokes, doing amusingly over-the-top facial expressions, and looking so pleased with himself about his Siri lines.  I thought the first night had the best jokes about it, with the correspondents doing the show "as" Trevor rather than two separate entities, like Michael promising he'd be fired before using the N-word and Roy trying to do Trevor's accent.  Adding in the Siri jokes on the later nights was fun, too - it makes me laugh that they miked Trevor just so he could hold that speaker up to it.

The interview Desi "voiced" was probably the most awkward, with Trevor pointing at the questions on the cards for her, but I thought the "we're both mixed-race with family in Africa" bit was funny.  In contrast, the one Jaboukie did was a lot smoother, but it felt more like his interview than Trevor's.  The one Trevor did by himself struck the best balance for me - sure, using the Siri voice was a little stilted, but he was able to react a little more and manage the interview.  His occasional gestured "ad-libs" delighted me, like pointing to the title on the Anderson .Paak album and shrugging to ask, "Why Oxnard?" or doing "time's up" with Jeremy Scott.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, For Cereals said:

I was okay with everyone covering for Trevor, but I can do without Jaboukie.  I “think” he’s playing up his role as a millennial, but maybe he’s doing it too well for me.  I find him very annoying.

I agree. He needs more time to develop as a comedian/actor/faux correspondent. I’m sure they could’ve found someone more ready for the roll than him. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, For Cereals said:

I find him very annoying

He's going to the millenials well too much and needs to just write good jokes. He did fine with the interview because he wasn't making the same joke over and over. 

The joke about he made artisinal money in his bathroom was good because it was more a dbag hipster thing. 

Ronnie started out rough too though. 

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

I suspect the effect of giving Oliver an entire week solo made Trevor highly motivated not to give anyone else a similar launch pad.

They make synthetic voices of all kinds nowadays. If Trevor continues to have laryngitis, I hope they sub in other options instead of Siri. Trevor does voices himself, but it would still be funny to me if they gave him a totally unexpected voice. Lots of joke potential.

I think it was more that Trevor was otherwise healthy and that there wasn't somebody who was clearly the top correspondent the way that Jon Oliver or Stephen Colbert was at times, and the most likely fill in host, Roy, was having his own voice issues. I  did get a bit tired of the concept as the week went on even though the execution was a bit better with more correspondent pieces and the writing be more in the voice of the person talking for Trevor. I think Dulce in particular really shined. Although Trevor might have been concerned about letting someone do too well on their own - Comedy Central might give them the 11:30 slot and put them through the same cruel psychological torture as Wilmore or Klepper...

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 11:13 PM, possibilities said:

I doubt Trevor would be bothered by any correspondent getting his own show. Does Kosta have his own? I can't remember.

On 12/8/2018 at 12:32 AM, 2727 said:

Who does everything think did the best? I'm least fond of Kosta in general, but he came off as most comfortable behind the desk. He did it like he was playing the role of an anchor, which worked for me.

I agree. He's my least favorite, but he did best with this whole idea.

On 12/8/2018 at 7:42 AM, angora said:

The interview Desi "voiced" was probably the most awkward, with Trevor pointing at the questions on the cards for her, but I thought the "we're both mixed-race with family in Africa" bit was funny. 

I thought all the interviews were awkward. The card bit with Desi seemed very deliberate to me so that it would kind of support the mixed-race joke.

All in all, it was a noble experiment, but I hope Trevor's back to speaking for himself on Monday.

• Love 2

I lover her on Orphan Black, so it's just great she's in a well received movie and on a broadway play. I totally would have asked her if it's boring just playing one character too. It seemed to me like Trevor didn't see the Network movie, which is kind of surprising to me. The play sounds fantastic. I assume Cranston is playing the "I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" 

Netflix has the Network movie.

Cranston was on Colbert's show last night and yes-- he's playing Beale.

I didn't recognize TM when she first walked on stage! She looks totally different to me! Is it just the haircut? She is really a shapeshifter!

I am convinced she can act in any role, she's better than Meryl Streep, which is saying a lot. What I don't know is if there will ever be a role as complex and interesting as her role on Orphan Black. It's like nothing can match her level of skill.

• Love 1
On 12/8/2018 at 3:32 AM, 2727 said:

Me, too. I thought it was a clever and funny way to work around the problem and it's way better than a week of repeats, but it was also awkward in spots. The interview segment suffered the most, I think.

Kosta was on the FS1 show Crowd Goes Wild so he like is the most experienced being behind a desk with a live audience. The issue is that usually the most experienced for a fill in is almost always my least favorite (Jones, Bee, Kosta). I loved Oliver and Keppler was serviceable but was still inexperienced. I don’t think Wilmore ever filled in on TDS. I didn’t have cable back when Colbert, Carrel, etc was on TDS.

• Love 1

I doubt Neil was serious about telling kids about Santa. He was doing a bit. 

He's right about 2020 though. Democratic voters (or those who live in objective reality and weren't going to vote for Trump) consistently let perfect be the enemy of good. But they really showed us voting for Stein! 

• Love 4

Yeah, it's getting annoying to add extra time at the end of the DVR, only to miss the Moment of Zen. I can go to the Comedy Central site and skip to the end, but it's still a little annoying.

I was good with Neil Brennan speaking truth to power. How many eight-year-olds are woke enough to be watching at 11?

20 hours ago, TVcritic said:

I see. Trevor was channeling his inner Stephen Colbert with the calculator bit. ;-)

I thought the same thing.

Random thought seeing the clip to J-Lo's new movie: "Is Larry Miller still playing assholes?!?" And he's bald now.

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Both of my recordings (Tuesday and Wednesday nights) cut off at the end.

Mine, too. And I was already padding it.

I love Janelle Monae. I was glad Trevor showed that clip of her video. I had already seen it, but I still didn't think CC would have the guts to show it.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Does anyone know if the show is on this week? I can't find any info at cc.com.

This week, no. Next week? I believe so. And Trevor will have lots of material to work with.

Next week fer shure.  I track the late night shows by the dates that tickets are available.  What showclix is telling me at this moment is that Show has tickets available for eight straight weeks, January 7 through February 28, Monday through Thursday.  They usually don't show more than two months in advance.

This doesn't work when they are showing special episodes (like the Best Of shows) during their dark weeks, as those are clip shows.

The other thing you can do is go to The Daily Show site after 11 p.m. (Eastern) on a show night - the full episode (if it's new, but not if it's Live) is usually up by 11:05.

I may perhaps spend a lot of time figuring stuff like this out.

• Love 2

Watched the DVR. Same stuff as usual, including the president mucking things up again. Some more. Also, when watching Roy take R. Kelly and coverage about him to task, did anyone else get flashbacks to Chappelle’s Show and/or The Boondocks?

Panda cams? Well, I follow a site dedicated to highlights from preserves in China. Fun stuff. Basically, those guys are nigh-invulnerable. They can fall down and they spring back up. And then there was the time a bunch of them mauled their nanny. I think she didn’t get help right away because the other workers were laughing so hard.

Oh, and the DVR cut off even after I tacked on five minutes. So annoying. Saw it on the site . . . it’s the president talking about being in the White House on Christmas. Seriously, he’s okay with government workers being “suggested” to ask to barter their services? Hey, why not? 🙄

Good to have Trevor back. I think Sam Bee returns this Wednesday. Not sure when John Oliver comes back.

ETA: Here’s “Piss On You” from Chappelle’s Show. Good times. Obviously NSFW. I’ll have to see if the remix video is online.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

I remember when R. Kelly married Aaliyah. She was like my age. It was gross back then and just got worse. I liked Roy's insight that whenever the news covers R. Kelly, they play a clip of him singing. Doesn't really help. 

I like how whenever I feel like I'm doing good in my life, Malala rolls on in to bring me to reality. I actually liked Trevor sending her up a bit at the beginning of the interview. He's right; she's not a saint. She's still a college kid. One thing I've always noticed is that in every interview I've seen of her, she never fails to mention her father. I've never seen an interview with him though. 

• Love 5